Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Water Gardens: Floating Sensitive Plant

Communities > Forums > Water Gardens
bookmark
Forum: Water GardensReplies: 4, Views: 46
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

August 19, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9246506

The other day I bought a Floating Sensitive Plant. I think these are the coolest things. Anyway, it was growing in a pot when I got it but is commonly grown as a floater. The stems are developing this growth that looks like mold. On another water garden forum I was told this was just the plant adapting to being a floater by developing floating tissue. If anyone else has this plant can you identify this?

Thumbnail by FountainMan   Thumbnail by FountainMan
Click an image for an enlarged view.

BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9246628

Love this plant and used to have some in my old pond. It blooms pretty little yellow blooms. I can't remember any tissue growing alongside but it may have had some. If it becomes mushy and looks bad you can always wipe it off of one section and see how it does without it. I do remember it grew like crazy and spread all over pond.
Good luck.
Bonnie
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

August 19, 2012
2:41 PM

Post #9246843

Sounds good. I love this plant too. I've wanted one since I built my pond years ago and only untill reciently found a local seller. Seems to be growing. Today it bears new leaves so it does like the pond. I'm hoping the growth is just part of the plant. Can't wait untill It flowers. I've got Mimosa Pudica in a floating planter which produces Pink while the Neptunia Oleracea produces yellow. Yellow and violet above green makes for an intresting color combination. I hope it becomes invasive as I would take as much as I can. I will pull it indoors this winter.
BonnieGardens
Clermont, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
3:36 PM

Post #9246883

Glad its growing for you. You will enjoy it and have lots to share with friends.
Bonnie
FountainMan
McKinney, TX

August 19, 2012
9:07 PM

Post #9247127

One thing that's happening to the plant today is the stem seems to be sinking. Not sure if this is normal or not. I had to prop it up on a few rocks to keep it on the surface. The spongy material is just that and like a sponge takes on water and sinks but as a floating plant doesn't sound like it should do this. The spongy material looks like that of the inside of the Water Hyacinth stems but in the case of the Sensitive plant there is no skin or anything covering the spongy material.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Water Gardens Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Lotus/Kitty Litter Mardell 36 Jun 21, 2011 5:29 AM
This is my waterpond before we started the new construction! TraciS 9 Feb 19, 2008 1:35 PM
No Pump Water Garden gardening101usa 4 Mar 12, 2007 5:50 PM
Easy and inexpensive pond... BigDaddy99 85 Aug 8, 2008 11:05 PM
How many ponders are out there ?? List your names - Update! judycooksey 364 Jul 24, 2014 8:15 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America