Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
onethree1p
Waconia, MN

August 19, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9246685

How do I get my jade plant to grow straight without a stick/how do I get the base stronger so that it can stand on it's own?

Thumbnail by onethree1p   Thumbnail by onethree1p
Click an image for an enlarged view.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 19, 2012
12:49 PM

Post #9246721

Well you will always have a problem with this plant standing on itís own. What you have is a Peperomia obtusafolia (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/127999/) which is a vineing, trailing plant often used for hanging baskets.
What is more commonly refered to as Jade plant is Crassula ovata (http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/9/) . This plant develops a thick base and trunk and indeed stands on its own.
Scott
onethree1p
Waconia, MN

August 19, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9246866

That makes sense why I am having problems - guess it's important to know what kind of plant one has before growing it. Thanks!

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 19, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9246869

happy to help
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9247531

I've killed these before and thought I might learn something if I clicked in this thread, and sure enough, I did. It's been about 10 years but pretty sure I overwatered mine, thinking it was wilting. Never have seen another pretty variegated one like the one I killed to replace it. Obviously no need to discuss strength for this particular plant, thanks again, Olddude.

If you don't want to go to a hanging pot, it's perfectly legitimate to stake "vines!" Wonder if this one will get woody or remain supple?

But under the heading of "in general," it's good to turn plants so they are evenly exposed to light and don't develop a lean. Also, plants that go outside for the summer, or even just to be rained on occasionally, are much more able to hold themselves up because they've had the opportunity and occasion to develop resistance to wind, which equals strength. If the idea is unappealing or impractical, blowing it (from different directions) with a fan periodically, or running a ceiling fan can help also.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9249288

If you're still around & want to talk plants, I have some thoughts about yours.

Al

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America