-
AuthorContent
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 19, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9246901

Yep, I finally finished glazing all the stuff from my last bisque firing...fired up the kiln this morning around 8am. It was running when I left for home depot around 11 but when we got home around 1 it was off :-( I just started it back up and am now hoping all the stuff turns out...fingers crossed!
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9247364

Ok... so the temp on the kiln is down to 300 so I peaked and it looks like all is going to be ok... at least the stuff on the top shelf is ...few hours and I can check the rest! (seriously there's a lot in there like 25-30 things!)
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9248007

So to continue on with this conversation I'm having with myself...yay all is looking good from the firing! I think it only reached cone 5 but the clay is 4-7 and the glazes are 5/6 so should be OK. I did get some crazing on a couple pieces but think the glaze was on too thick. Will take some pictures to share with myself...lol
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

August 20, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9248106

Glad it seems to have turned out okay. Looking forward to seeing your pictures.
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

August 20, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9248421

Wanting to see some pics too !!!! This forum has been a bit dormant this summer. I know I haven't done any pottery, been busy with outside projects. Will get back in the pottery room this winter. Let's see them pics !!
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
4:17 AM

Post #9248578

Here they are... A;; items are cone 6 (but I suspect fired to cone 5 only)

Pic 1: Rectangle Platter and 2 small plates. Clay is cone 6 porcelian.
Pic 2: 4 small plates dipped in some new glazes, the beige color is supposed to be blue, you can see a tint of it (suspect its on too thin)
Pic 3: 2 yarn bowls also dipped in some new glazes, the red got a but 'crazy' think probably cause it was on fairly thick. Clay used is buff color stoneware.
Pic 4: 4 small bowls with rooster stamp, these came out kind of cute. Used Coyote 'Crazed Copper"
Pic 5: 2 boxes, the one on the left is Amoco Sienna Speckle and has a few flecks of kiln wash stuck to it :-( I swear I cleaned the kiln but things happen. The one on the right is another new dipped glaze.

I got more...

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
4:23 AM

Post #9248588

And more...

Pic 1: This is a small bowl also dipped in that 'blue' glaze, as you can see it's a bit thicker and has more of a blue tint. This bowl is about 5 inches around was a 'boo boo' the sides collapsed when throwing it so I kinda went with it to create those folds.
Pic 2: A dog bowl, had issues trimming this one but never can toss anything
Pic 3: Treat jar and dog bowls, made these for my sister who got a new dog.
Pic 4: You've seen these before, I added the wrong pic but can't figure out how to remove it :-)
Pic 5: Second treat jar and dog bowl, for my husbands' brothers. There were supposed to be two bowls. These are two different green glazes.

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 5:33 AM

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy

ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9248591

And finally...

Pic 1: 3 extruded ??? Who knows what they are, kind of plates :-) I was testing the extruder and, as stated earlier, can't toss anything!
Pic 2: Lotion dispensers. These are extruded as well and quite crooked. The tops are just set on them right now need to glue them in place.
Pic 3: My Pig collection, Only 2 were actually in this firing ...
Pic 4: My Chick collection, ok none were in this firing but about 5 were in the last one and they are all just so cute together I had to share :-)

Now that all my glazing is done, it's time to do some more throwing, extruding and slab rolling!

Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy   Thumbnail by ItsMeChrissy

imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9249419

What a nice, satisfying load of goodies!
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

August 23, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9250834

The Boo-Boo bowl in the second set of pics is fabulous !! Love all your works of art. The doggie bowls and treat containers are really cute. I like that green color. You have been busy.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
9:11 AM

Post #9293539

WOW! Lotsa good stuff! Of course I'm intrigued by the reds and oranges you used! I also think I'd call those "strange" little extruded plates butter or soap dishes.

The flecks of kiln wash... I know you said you cleaned the kiln, but do you make it a practice to use a hand-broom to sweep off the bottoms of your shelves before you load them in? I know since I started doing that, I haven't had a piece of kiln-junk on anything. Y'also gotta be careful when you're leaning into the kiln while loading, so your belly doesn't push (or make) brick-crumbs from the kiln edge, and make sure junk isn't stuck to the bottom of pots that can fall onto another pot while being loaded.

Way to go, Chrissy!

Rose

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America