Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Your Neck of the Woods Chat Summer # 2 Count Down to Fall

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 215, Views: 1,525
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9246945

Have been really biding my time to make a new chat continuation thread. We came from here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1268408/#new

where we were discussing rain gauges, rain . lack of rain, too much rain and the effects of extended periods of dryness on the well being of our plants and selves. Did I mention rain?

Yes, indeed, Sissystars has discovered a new weed hiding amongst her day lilies and shrubs that regenerates itself as fast as she can pull it up! We are awaiting a fuller description and photos of this NOID 'grass'

I played outside today in the cooler drizzle, It has been forever since I've actually done anything with my plants after putting them in hunker down survive the heat and drought mode!

Happy to say that most have survived but not without lots of wear and tare. Who knows what the long term effects might be??? My yard is mostly shaded by multiple large oaks. When I looked up today (because I could do so without being blinded !!!!) the canopy seemed less dense as if in spring before the leaves fully unfurl. Leaves that have fallen are skeletonized, or munched upon and not healthy looking. Acorns are puny. Rain would help but not much left of this season to put away stores for the winter.

Speaking of stores for the winter, I have yet to harvest a ripe tomato! Count is 4 cukes, 6 eggplant, chard, 18 assorted squash, 14 potatoes (a size down from fingerling) and 3 melons attempting to ripen before being dicovered by some critter. Also missed filling my heating oil tank while barrel price was down. Even if the winter is mild again things will definitely be hard in other respects.

So, how is it by you? Give us an update or just say 'hi'...we all read much more than we post!

And remember to get all of your wearing of the white done in the next two weeks cause after Labor Day will be too late to make that fashion statement.

Oh, and one last shout out to PippI Happy, Happy Birthday!

Thumbnail by coleup
Click the image for an enlarged view.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
5:21 PM

Post #9246959

OK! I posted a reply on the Rain gauges---guess I forgot to send it..as it is not there any more...
So--I shall re-type it...

Home Depot carries Rain Gauges. Nothing fancy--just a calibrated, narrow, plastic tube/container.
No fancy frogs or critters holding it...That is just extra $$$$...These may cost $6-$7.

Assuming most HD's planograms are the same---you can look for them along the racking wall behind the
Patio furniture--Gazebos displays. It will be wherever the outdoor temperature "clocks" are.
It may be hanging on a Chip Clip on one of the beams...
Gita

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2012
5:47 PM

Post #9246992

Me I'm still using an old can,But it still holds water as a useful idea,IT was also quick and easy.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 19, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9247007

Sissy's nasty grass sounds maybe like the same perennial grass thats always vexing me. It makes deep runners and long too. I don't know the official name. Wire grass? Seems appropriate.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
6:17 PM

Post #9247020

Wire Grass---same as Bermuda Grass---that nasty grass that cannot be destroyed.
Not by pulling it up--not by digging it up----It has to be treated with Round Up (or the like)
in spring while it is fresh and newly growing. May take several treatments.

Mind you--it would also kill all your other grass and anything else nearby.

One of the worst grassy weeds! Gita

This message was edited Aug 19, 2012 8:17 PM

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 19, 2012
7:01 PM

Post #9247057

I still need to find a rain gauge. Not too high on my priority list. Rain keeps passing over Mt. Pleasant & hitting down the road. Though I think we're gonna get some tonight! It def. felt like rain when I got home from work.

My plants haven't committed planticide yet so that's a plus. Some dead leaves, some droopage. I might lose 1 of my mazus keeping an eye on & will prob. need some TLC.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9247137

Off topic but it appears 'anything goes' on these great threads...back from visiting my folks in SC...thought I'd share a few pics...will update with the ones from the garden down there tomorrow...plants/yard aren't looking like it rained much while I was gone...yikes...

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 19, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9247142

couple more...

Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell   Thumbnail by Chantell

ROSES_R_RED

ROSES_R_RED
Mount Bethel, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
3:49 AM

Post #9247225

Those pics with those girls are every bit as lovely as all of our blooms, Chantell. Thanks for sharing.

I'm just starting to spray with "Grass Getter" for the Bermuda Grass. Supposedly you can spray the whole garden several times which would finally kill the Bermuda Grass and not harm all but a few perennials. There is a special schedule for spraying over edibles, but I'm not one to try that.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9247251

Oh Chantell what beautiful pictures!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9247265

Chantell, this is the perfect place for all your summer chat.
what GORGEOUS girls, all of them!!!! You forgot to include your gorgeous self, silly! Looks like everybody had a great time.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
5:30 AM

Post #9247304

Oh Chantell, What cuties they are. Such nice pictures thanks for sharing.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
5:57 AM

Post #9247323

So here is a pic of a small project that Ric and I have been working on. We have been tiling the base of the Birdbath Pond. We have been talking of doing this for years as the base is just poured concrete and we had some old tile laying around. It isn't quite finished yet, there is a small section around the back that we won't do till fall when we cut back the plants for the winter. We haven't grouted it yet and that may wait till fall as well so it can all be grouted at the same time.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9247339

Holly & Ric - Your tiling the base looks really nice, the tile choice goes well with its surroundings.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
6:23 AM

Post #9247359

Love the frog just sitting around wondering "What the heck is going on here????

Very appropriate pose--and seems to just fit! Beautiful project!!!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9247409

I love it when things just sitting around for years transform into things of beauty like your tiles!

Paolo Soleri once said "Inertia is ultimately the disproportion between the validity of the individual reach and the energy necessary to make that reach possible" You all seem to have caught on to the overcoming inertia thing as beauty is evident all over your place! When is your garden tour scheduled this fall?

lol, hosting a swap or being part of a garden tour I'm sure helps with the inertia thing as I am sure Sallyg is experiencing right now!

Happy Birthday Pippi and Sissystars. And Joyana!!! Gotta love those Leos! They are as lovely as the 'bloomers' in Chantel's family.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9247464

I just posted this on another thread here but chatting and comments would be more appropriate over here, so I'm re posting it. Thanks

Holly, Greenthumb, Gita et al

Each year the corporate big wigs from lowes, hd, walmart etc get together with their contract growers/suppliers and contract based on previous years sales for "product' to be shipped to any of the stores that grower/supplier has in their ballywick. Profit margin, not zone hardiness, variety (except for nationally advertized 'sellers' like 'Knock out roses or Proven winners) customer preferences, good common sense(lol), size of store, weather, or ability to keep plants alive til sell thru gets factored in ...
So, there is a sameness to what gets shipped to every store by region with the overlap being the Philly area where supplies come from growers in the north or growers in the south. Growers in the south have warmer weather earlier on their side profit margin wise even though shipping costs and loses may be more. Growers in the south also have the margin advantage of being huge huge volume producers and lesser costs to import their growing stock from central and south america...

I could go on and on, but will repost this over on our designated "chat" thread" for comments .http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276207/
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
7:43 AM

Post #9247484

Oh you are so right Coleup, having a tour or swap gets you moving on projects that have been slowly coming together. Our tour is Sept 8th. It is a small group about 35 or so will be coming. The HGHA we belong to is having their business meeting and then doing a road trip to 4 members gardens that are loosely in our area. We are one of the stops. I think we are going to provide refreshments at our stop. Usually about the end of August I get neglectful about weeding dead heading and general up keep but this year I have to keep after things. The new water feature is almost finished, Just need to add some more rocks and arrange things a bit. I'll post a pic of that when it is finished. It always surprises me that no matter how much work I put into the gardens there is always so much more to do.
I love your Paolo Soleri quote.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
9:03 AM

Post #9247586

Holly,

I have a particularly bad case of inertia this year.

I've written about this before, but it seems every summer here, I shut down. When temps hit 80 s + I'm out of oomph before I start so any validly determined or necessary 'projects' sit on the shelf awaiting the energy to do them or better weather...neither of which has been forth coming. In fact, the dog days of summer have been vastly expanding their grip and duration here in Annap.

Deferred things have a way of queing up and "complexifying" (Where did I stash that @#%&@?). So, while I am in a holding pattern (read "waiting for Godot" ???) the needed reach for me to accomplish certain goals increases and what seemed 'in reach' or doable several years ago now appears more unlikely to be done if I was placing bets! Like many stressed out plants it takes me a good while to recover and I may not fully recoup to a high thrive level.

Of course, there is always the asking for help option!!! Making that option Plan A instead of Plan B.

Thanks
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9247627

If any of you reading my post above hear what I am trying to get my mind around, please check out this DG thread which I read just after posting my lament on inertia above. about 11 posts down...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275847/#new

Guess this Plan A ask for help thing really works! Feeling really blessed right now...will nurture this.

"Manna, the stuff of life , cannot be bought or stored, only shared and must be gathered every day."
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9247826

Beauties they are, Chantell

Nice tile work.

Glad to hear I am not the only one without the oomph this time of year. Being gone all of July and coming home to beastly heat and humidity many things have gone by the wayside. I WILL have to get in gear though for the get together in May 2013. The Saturday after Mother's Day. Put it on your calendars now. Heehee. I have been thankful for the cooler last couple of days.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9248057

I have often said how lucky I am to have Ric with his interest. I'm not sure at this point that either of us alone could / would keep this going but between us we seem to do pretty well. Each stepping in when the other is burned out or just supplying the extra push when needed.
I will say that I just loved the person we had to water when we were gone. Since there was a good bit of rain she spent many of the hours I paid her for weeding in stead of watering and the gardens looked so much better than in past years when it took us weeks to catch back up.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9248099

Woot, woot!!! Well done interim waterer/weeder!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9248161

THat tile job- FABULOUS!!!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
5:00 PM

Post #9248182

Holly & Ric I am in *love* with that tile work. It makes me want to go tile things. Which I would have to build first :/...next summer since job #1 started back up today & this is going to be a 65 hour week between the two.

On a different note: IT'S RAINING!!!!!!!! A wonderful, beautiful, fantastical thunder/lightning storm. I get to watch from my front porch instead of from the windows at work. Yay! For being off tonight.
Boo to my inertia after work & not getting to the snapdragon seeds, or the moss rose, or the dahlias, or the neighbors pretty red/orange climbing flowers with the very tempting seed pods on our side. If it's on our side I get to steal it right? Good thing they're still blooming their bottoms off.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9248186

We're having a rain sprinkle here too. Before that it was a very lovely evening to be out--except for the MOSQUITOES! Holy Cow!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9248205

No skeeters here thank goodness! Today was nice here too mild instead of burn your brains out hot. Then our director let us leave an hour & a half early & paid us for it! Unheard of and super cool.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012

Post #9248282

I had to recover my inertia--10 times over today. It was hard--and i was exhausted...

My Niece sent me an e-mail yesterday that they were heading home from NC to NJ
and asked if they could spend the night here. Of course! BUT--it is 5 people...Niece and Hubby--
and 3 young kids. Ages (?)--6, 7 and 9.

I have been preparing sleeping quarters for all of them. Re-arranging plans and making up all the beds.
If I was not such a slob about keeping my house presentable at all times--I would not have had to clean
all the Bathrooms and the toilets and the kitchen--and vacuum the floors everywhere.
It took a lot out of me--but once it is done--I am SOOOO happy about how my house looks.

Originally--I was expecting them no later than 9PM. We are keeping in touch via e-mails as they drive.
They got a late start-(????WHY???) and now will not be here until about 11PM. This is killing me!
I usually go to bed between 9:30-10PM.
I cut up cheese and Pepperoni and put out crackers for munchies for when they get here.
Have a bottle of wine chilling in the fridge...
NOT gonna happen! The kids will be zonked out and will get carried to their beds.
I will be zonked out--but hanging in. Who is going to carry me to my chosen, alternate bed?

I am giving up my bed to the couple. Two of the kids will sleep in the 2 twin beds in my spare BR.
The oldest--a boy--will sleep on my LR sofa. I will sleep downstairs in the BR there. Have a bathroom there...

All is well! All is cleaned and done! Now--I just wait...

They will leave tomorrow--late morning...after a breakfast of French Toast, bacon and OJ.
Coffee--Fresh fruit--grapes--Cantelope--etc...Whatever they want!

It is only 3 hrs. to NJ. I only see these people once a year--when I drive up there for Christmas...
Any of them are more than welcome here as a "pit stop" if needed...

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
6:45 PM

Post #9248329

BEst thing sbout cleaning- Knowing you can forget it for a little while afterward!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
7:14 PM

Post #9248373

sallyg' LOL !! Girl I like that reply!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
5:41 PM

Post #9249442

Well--I wanted to post here today on the topic of "inertia"...
That is what I have today--total inertia----NO desire to do anything...tired...recovering from my guests.

My "company" and I went to the IKEA store to say "HI" to my daughter who works there.
They just wanted to stop by for a short time. Of course--it was NOT short!
While they were talking to Aina (my DD)--the kids were running around and playing on all
the furniture and sofas in the display rooms...Having a Ball!

When we were done "visiting" Aina--we all went to the lower entry level--and Kurt (the Dad)
bought everyone a soft-cone. ($1) We all sat down so the kids could eat it in peace---that took another
half hour...They finally left from here at about 12 noon.

I went home and, pretty much "collapsed" from all the work and arrangements.
Stripped all the beds---Did a load of laundry---hung all the sheets out to dry---gathered them up when dry--
brought them inside and that was that...

Tried to nap-but i never nap...just laid there in limbo...NOT wanting anything else to have to do.

Inertia-----what a hiccup in one's. usual busy life! BLAHHHHH...Yawn...

Wanted to do something--so picked off all the seed pods from my Perennial, Red and White Hibiscus
and removed all the seeds...while watching Andrew Zimmern Bizarre Foods... My fave Show on TV.

Now I am, totally, fading...and it is only 8:30PM. Get to sleep in my own bed...
Sleeping in the downstairs, double bed made me realize that I REALLY need new mattresses for that bed!
So thin--and so hard...have to start searching for a set...

Tomorrow--I have other plans...maybe while the weather is cool, I could demolish my rotten landscape
timbers from the corner of my front bed and start the process of building a retainer/ edging with all
the rocks I got from Rick--and my old Manager, Donn. UGH! So much heavy work--not sure I want to do it!
The inertia is setting in...Maybe---Magnana!!!

Need to do it sooner or later...I vote for later...and so it goes.

I need to catch up on some lost sleep. My Niece and family did not get here until 11PM last night.
The kids were zonked out. They were carried in, and deposited in their beds--and they never woke up.
We sat around another hour--drinking wine and munching on goodies...talking...
Went to bed around 12:30AM...

I am TOOOOO old for all this...Need my "beauty sleep"...

YES! Today was a total inertia day!!!! Need it now and then... Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9249452

you earned some inertia!

I got a ripe fig from my bush today YUM and a not qute ripe (still pretty much yum!) and the ants got two other ripe ones (darn)

This message was edited Aug 21, 2012 7:57 PM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9249711

Gita, Company is a lot of work. You deserve a day of inertia. Sounds like they had a really nice time visiting. President of the HGHA is coming today with his wife. They try to visit all the members homes to see their gardens and GH. Just a nice friendly visit very nice people.
Ric, finished up the rocks around the new water feature yesterday and I will take some pics as soon as we reposition the bowl, I think it sits just a bit too low. Looks great though.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
6:02 AM

Post #9249778

Yea Sally! Two yums and a darn ain't bad. My harvest tally now includes one ripe cantalope that I'm hoping will be a yum.

Lol Gita. your day of inertia had lots of activity! Sun and line dried linens are the best. Did you know that many communities ban hanging out clothes? It is termed 'visual polution'.

I have often looked at wall calenders and considering how much they resemble Bingo cards, I think all of us deserve and should declare a free spacefrom all todos,etc.

Holly, enjoy your mini visit tour today. I love when people notice what I've worked hard on and like it, too. Usually visitors also give me a chance to discover things about my surrounds that I really haven't noted yet. Yea for surprises and fresh perspectives. Let us know if you send them home with any plants!!!

PS, Jill's hypertufa Party article is featured today. Can't wait for part two.

Thumbnail by coleup

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9249839

Right with you, coleup, on anticipating part #2 of Jill's article.

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9249969

Oh we had such a good time. Ric got to talk about the little details like extra screws and special aluminum supports that would glaze the eyes over on most visitors. Tom was very interested in all those little special details that make the GH work well. They really enjoyed the gardens, June and I felt it was late enough for Peach Sangria and I set out some snacks for us to enjoy under the gazebo. June noticed my beautiful Brazilian Plume Flower and mentioned how she has wanted one for so long now so I whipped out an extra one I had gotten from Gita that was with the house plants. Boy was she so happy.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9250141

Thought you all should look at this Thread...They ARE working on the picture uploading problem...

Seems the picture uploading is now in the "new format" for real.
Do not freak out---it really will work better...so Adm. says.

If you read the last Post on this thread--you can now hold down "control" and just click away at
multiple pictures to add--as long as they are in THE SAME FOLDER.

Also--delete any ones you change your mind on.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275352/#new

Here are 5 pictures I chose at random from my August, 2012 Folder.

edited to say ALL 5 went INSTANTLY!!!! Not even a blink of an eye to wait...

Gita

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 2:06 PM

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9250175

I put up a new thread with pics of the new water feature. It's been awhile see I have seen your water features so please join me and post a few pictures of your own.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
8:57 PM

Post #9250765

I need an inertia day! Between yesterday & today I've put in 28 hours @ work (that's between 2 jobs). I only work 1 of them tomorrow, but have Mom duty tomorrow night @ the HS. They don't have open house, they have welcome back night. Friday is a 14 hour day between the 2 jobs & I have a trainee Fri. night so I need to be on top of my game. I can't wait until I have a day off so I can sleep in & get some cleaning done! Plus I have seeds to harvest, that will have to be a Saturday morning project.
On a different note the classroom I moved to has older kiddos & I ran a science project idea past the teacher. We're going to be doing a project with amaryllis! Plus he wants to run with it & do a whole unit on things like soil & plant cycles etc. I'll get tapped since I'm the gardener in our group. Soooo excited! I cannot wait to see the faces on the kids when those huge blooms burst open. We're going to hand pollinate to produce the seed pods. Yay! I love love love sharing things I enjoy with these kiddos!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
4:54 AM

Post #9250894

wow what a work schedule--- and wow cool teacher!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9251260

Coleup---

You like to play detective...see what you can find on the "disease" called "Aster Yellow".
If you look at the link below--I just went to Pl amt ID Forum to find out why my Zinnias only have
little balls for blooms--and no petals.

Kwanjin said it was A.Y.--which is transmitted by insects--and said I should pull all the affected plants
and trash them. I would like to know more on this "disease"...before I do that...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1276763/

I now also have a name of these beautiful, tall Zinias the seed came from. "Zowie!!!" Yellow Flame.

Thanks, Gita

Zinnia---"Zowie"=Yellow Flame

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9251483

Gita, sorry to take so long to get back to you (lol).

Seems the seed you saved from yellow zowie zinnia produces apetalous or petaless flowers in about one fourth of the second generation offspring. Plants look healthy, just don't save the seeds from the apetalous ones for next year!

http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/load/annuals/msg0811051821512.html?3

I posted this over on plant id forum also.

That will be two jars of pickles please.

Just kidding! Judy

PS I learn as much from your puzzlements as I do my own quests!

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
3:46 PM

Post #9251544

sallyg: So far he rocks. my work schedule will calm down in a month or so. Go back to insane in Nov & Dec then calm down from Jan-?. We lost 2 people that quit with no notice, 1 got fired & 2 went back to school. Thank goodness we're getting a new hire who will be able to work nights also! Nature of the beast. :) It just makes those rare days off more precious. :)

Mom was just over & went plant/seed shopping in my yard lol! So now I have a list for her :). I love knowing I'll be able to spread plants around to my family. Hopefully she remembers to water them. I'll have to put them in the ground for her she's so busy she never gets around to it.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9251561

Judy---

I would not know WHERE to look for seeds on these apetulous "blooms"...
(Glad I took Latin in HS--so I KNOW that "a" means --"without"...)

I am having quite a bit of feedback on the Plant ID Forum. All very interesting...Check it out!
The link is above---DG rocks!!!! So much education!!!!

TWO jars of pickles?????????????? I can do that--but they will NOT be cukes from my garden!
I use the long. English Cukes most of the time--they work great.
BUT--MY home grown ones are so much sweeter...:o)) I will be bringing those to the Swap.

Thumbnail by Gitagal

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9251610

Hartzell, I'm going to trade one jar of pickles from Gita for an "inertia day" and split it with you! Seems 'vacations' are a vanishing species: nurse practitioners have to schedule theirs 6 mos or more in advance. ASnd no wonder home sales in a local retirement community here are lagging behind regular sales...so many fewer are able to retire and still meet their basic needs (let alone travel).

Guess "make hay while the sun shines" is still a good plan but I don't want to deliver almost 600 newspapers daily into my 70's. Since my paper route is part of my retirement plan, the question is which will out live the other!

Are you a teacher?

My Gen Sci teacher used to put out an interesting object, specimen, plant each week and if we identified it (way before the internet) we got extra credit. I remember fondly how hard it was to key out one plant... and then it bloomed. Wow, amaryllis! Good for you for getting young ones into nature.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9251665

WHOOOO, Cleup...

Does that mean I should make TWO smaller jars of pickles so you can share????? HUH?
My cukes have, basically stopped producing. "tis time...
I planted 5-6 more--and they are slowly growing. Don't know if they will ever get to the stage of
producing Cukes??? It is late in the year...
They are only about 5" tall--and NOT growing much. Bummer...
I am/was hoping for a late crop so I can make more pickles...:o(

However--those long, skinny, saran-0wrapped English Cukes make VERY good pickles...

Gita

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 23, 2012
7:37 PM

Post #9251765

coleup: No not a teacher. :) I majored in photography lol. My sister *is* a special education teacher & did her student teaching @ the school. I was looking for something temporary. That was 5 years ago. I've never ever seen another place like it and I feel truly blessed to be there. Unfortunately I'm at a crossroads & will probably have to leave. I really should have quit last year, it's not something I'll be able to do until retirement. The kids just get into your heart & you don't want to leave. I'm probably going to have to make this my last year though. I need to go back to school & want to get into pediatric nursing. I'd love to stay in the field but with the way the state is cutting funding for the special needs population I'm not sure there will be a field in the future. My 16 y/o is autistic & has been listed as in critical need of services for 2.5 years. The funding for her services is just not there & we certainly can't afford them out of pocket. So she sits on the waiting list & we wait & wait. :/ It def. didn't help that we moved counties last year either. I had to get my kids out of their school district it was horrible! 4 schools were taken over *this* year under no child left behind. Including the one they are/would be attending. As awful as the county/state was doing I can't imagine it being any better with the feds running it now. Sorry if I'm getting political. I just see the damage these decisions are doing 1st hand & how it hurts these kids. Maybe it's just a PA thing but I don't think so. :(
We def. have a teaching crisis too many teachers & I hear way too many horror stories of bad teachers when we have a ton of highly qualified dedicated teachers. Very frustrating to hear how you childs teacher spends the day on in internet & FB relying on worksheets to teach. Then they wonder why the kids 1. don't enjoy their class & 2. don't understand the material. I just want to yell "here's your sign." lol.

Oh & on the "retirement front" I want to cry every month when I look @ my 401k & ira statements. And why can't I touch *my* money until I'm 70? That's just bupkiss.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
7:08 PM

Post #9253770

Yay! I found a friend in my garden today! It's in my zinnias.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9253780

Do tell, do tell!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9254056

Two jars of pickles made for you, Judy so you can share...

*****I am out of jars! If anyone would bring me empty pickle jars, or similar--I would appreciate it.
Obviously--I do not buy pickles--and am always giving jars away. Got none left...

Mayo jars are OK--but the openings are a bit smaller than pickle jars. Also the lids do not fit real tight.

Thanks, all! Gita

coleuslover123

coleuslover123
Mount Laurel, NJ

August 26, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9254898

You might want to check that 'can't withdraw your ira money until after 70'. I have 3 ira accounts and there is no such restriction on any of them. Of course you do have to pay tax on what you withdraw (regardless of your age). But at 70, you HAVE to start withdrawing the money (which I resent - why can't I leave MY money in MY account if I want to !!) Government interfers too much with our lives!

Oh a more pleasant note: The coleus are looking better now that the temps have eased up a bit and we have had a LITTLE rain .

Thumbnail by coleuslover123   Thumbnail by coleuslover123   Thumbnail by coleuslover123      

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
9:25 PM

Post #9254916

Beautiful!!!

must have had a couple inches rain here today.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
9:46 PM

Post #9254928

Saving pickle jars here Gita.! You are so sweet to share your homemade goodies. I had 6 cucumber vines and got 4 cukes! Powdery mildew got them and squash plants, too. Definitely a challenging season to grow much of any thing.

Coleuslover, You certainly have done well by your coleus despite the challenges! Very nice. I admire you all who plant your coleus in the ground. Mine all stay in containers. This year I cut way back on my usual pots and pots and pots of coleus. Are you coming to the swap at sallyg's Sat Sept 15? Some of us will be swapping cuttings there...Or maybe Wind (Diana) will be our coleus cutting swap angel again. Anyway, thank you again for sharing some of yours with me. Next Spring swap will be in New Jersey, so maybe we will get to meet. What is the name of the light green one in last pic far right? That one has done well for me, too. Usually light greens are the first to suffer in high heat.

Hartzell, I hear you on the education stuff. In an IEP meeting at my dd s school, when I made one last request of the staff/school, the chair teacher said, "Mrs...You really want everything for your child!" in a voice that implied to me that I was asking for too much. I am proud to say that I looked her in the eye and replied, "Yes, of course I do. Doesn't every parent?"

Wishing you and yours all the best this new school year. Judy.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9254930

Sally, My unofficial rain gauge says 4 inches!

Starting early this am, we had about seven rain storms and clearing between. Like all of the rain days we usually get in a summer condensed into one day of multiple mini events.

Wonder how big trees feel when all that accumulation is thoroughly rinsed away? Hope any increaed photosynthesis sees them well stocked for the winter and strong for the spring.

Will see tomorrow if I can dig some plants for the swap. Did discover a few places where I can encourage rain to stay on my property rather than run off...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9254937

I beleive 4. It absolutely POURED for a long time this afternoon. My barrels are full of course. And every other bucket I own was set under the drippy edge of the shed roof and all filled to the brim. That tells me we had a lot. I can hope we drowned a couple voles in the process.
I don't know if any at all got over to the west of us. (Frederick) It was a big glob moving south to north allong the bay and eastern shore. and up.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
5:13 AM

Post #9255100

Just beautiful coleus and they look so good.
My IRA you can start withdrawing $$ at age 59 1/2 no penalties but you do pay taxes on what you withdraw.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
3:23 PM

Post #9256000

Gorgeous pics, CL! Yes, the spring do, coleup mentioned is at my house down in Salem County. Not too far from you. I am about 2 miles from the Delaware Memorial bridge. Keep the Saturday after Mother's Day open. Woot, woot!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9256130

Jan, Really looking forward to seeing you again and such fun to visit your gardens.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9256170

I have an herb garden question!

Where do you all plant your rosemary and culinary thyme? Do you think they'd rot if I plant them in a raised garden bed with soil that's not gritty?

I want to take all of my herbs and put them in a 4x4 raised bed. Do I need a separate bed for the herbs that like it dry?

I have all the herbs in containers now, but it's quite a hassle to keep them happy there. I think they'd rather have their roots sprawl around a garden bed.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9256222

SSG - When you build your 4x4 raised bed add in a bag of multi-purpose construction sand (not play sand) from the concrete mix aisle of your local home improvement center. Between the added sand and the raised elevation you should not have a problem with rotting. Just be sure to dig the sand in deep.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9256242

Greenthumb99, should I make 2 separate beds? One for basil/cilantro/parsley/sage, and one for rosemary/thyme/lavender? Or can these 2 groups of herbs live together in 1 bed?

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9256267

SSG-You might consider two beds on the grounds that sage, thyme. lavender and even rosemary will grow into sizable plants/clumps in time, thus 4x4 will eventually be too small. If drainage is good both groups can thrive in the same raised bed. Some other perennial herbs you might consider if you opt for more space are chives, fennel, oregano and winter savory. Space your perennial herbs widely and inter-plant with your annual/biennial herbs such as cilantro, basil and parsley. In time these annual herbs may need to live elsewhere, like with your flowers. If interested, I have an extra pot of Greek Oregano I can bring to the swap.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012

Post #9256288

Greenthumb, thank you for the great advice! I think I will make 2 separate beds after all and widely space the perennial herbs.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9256309

Raised beds, yea! Solve a lot of probs that way.

Any of you grow garlic? One of the growers at our local Farmers Market has about 20 different varieties he offers. Planted two last fall and have really enjoyed them .

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9256322

Which Farmers Market please?

I read a list of recommendded varities of all veggies once and remember that they said a Rocambole type for this area.

I planted grocery store garlic last fall and it grew very well.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9256374

Riva Road Saturdays Facing Riva road on left hand side middle half...tall balding man knows his stuff.

Can share some with you if you want both hard and soft neck, Some bulbs smaller than usual due to 'weather'

My Dad always said that eating plenty of garlic, onions and potatoes would keep you healthy.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
8:42 PM

Post #9256466

Sally, try some of the Rocambole or hard-neck garlic. I've grown a number varities in years past and they were all superior (in my estimation) to the soft-neck garlic from the grocery store. They come with such a diversity of qualities! Check out http://www.territorialseed.com/category/26?gclid=CNqlu9CyibICFQjc4AodVXwA5A . If you click on each entry you will get a full description of each cultivar's attributes.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9257580

Pretty sure there is now some science behind the health of onions and garlic. When a fitness counselor saw my body fat % and told me I better gain weight, she kept saying Potatos!

12.95 for 8 ounces mail order, plus shipping. They sound delicious. But a trip to see the Farmer sounds fun too.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9257615

Sally - It was not my intention to suggest you order from Territorial, it was just to direct you to descriptions of many of the cultivars and their attributes so you could make an informed selection where ever you might acquire bulbs from.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9257626

Oh I do appreciate the descriptions. And if not for Judy's tip I might have considered it. After all, would never have to buy it again. But now I can tell the Farmer, well, not the really hot one , etc.

Scuse me while I go sample the gingerbread I just got out of the oven.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9257835

YUMMEE - garlic, onion, AND potatoes with a bit of olive oil...
coleup - I was actually going to do the garlic thing this year and was looking at various vendors (I'm slowly learning about all the diff types of garlic - sheesh, who knew?). I had found this vendor https://www.nicholsgardennursery.com/store/search-results.php?keyword=garlic×tamp=1344571746 when I was looking for anyone selling Mailette lavender but hadn't placed an order yet. If you'll have some extra to share I'd love to try it. Just let me know prices and I'll bring $ with me or mail to you ahead of time. The spicy kind sounds wonderful!!

Speaking of Mailette lavender, if anyone (doesn't have to be this season - I can wait for spring) knows of a local vendor for this type of lavender I would be most grateful!!

SS the largest sized grit (normally Turkey grit) is great to mix up with the soil as well I've had a lot of luck using it! Your local feed store should carry it.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
7:41 AM

Post #9258061

"YUMMEE - garlic, onion, AND potatoes with a bit of olive oil..."

We didn't use olive oil as a kid growing up but my Dad sure would approve!

Have loved Nichols Herb Farm for many decades now. They were one of my first ventures into gardening inspirations as I wanted to be an Herb Farmer. Too bad I didn't live in the Willamette Valley or have any land! I like the Assorted Garlic package they offer if anyone is ordering from them this Fall (garlic planting time..)

Each garlic bulb has from 6 to 20+ cloves so 2-3 cloves of each variety would give me one bulb to taste/garden test and one bulb to replant and share! Will bring some to the swap for sure.

The guy at the Farmers Market had 'elephant', chinese pink, (can't remember the other names Grrr) Bulbs are priced at $1 and $.75 depending on size and variety. Want to meet up there this Sat or next, Sally?

I'd love to attend one of the Garlic Festivals around the country. I know they have some in PA and Chantell, here is a link to one in your neck of the woods. Its a wine and garlic festival!!

http://www.rebecwinery.com/page10.html

Adding a link for garlic growing in Zone 7
http://www.growingformarket.com/articles/how-and-when-to-plant-garlic

This message was edited Aug 29, 2012 10:06 AM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
8:53 AM

Post #9258137

Sure wish hubby liked garlic. I do get it into things now and then though.

hartzell81

hartzell81
Mount Pleasant, PA
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9258315

coleup: I found a praying mantis :/ No idea why my pic didn't post. I'll try it again later it's on my phone.

RE: my IRA I'll have to call my financial guy because my paperwork is of course buried somewhere under the kids paperwork for school, doctors, ISP's, IEPs etc etc.

UGH no time to breathe this week with the wedding on Sat jamming my 65 hour week into 5 days instead of 7. I'm so glad I took Sun off because I am going to collapse! Plus I need to soak these fake nails off I cannot do anything. Just had them done 3 hours ago & am so frustrated.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9258322

Good info, as always, Coleup. Would mind picking me up 1 of each (the elephant and the pink) and if they happen to carry the Korean Red or something similar I'd really like 1 or 2! Thanks so much!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9259099

Anyone familiar with a local vendor that carries the really large black nursery pots - looking for 15 to 20 gal pots? I can find them online but the shipping is a killer - ugh!!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9259270

Chantell, from now thru Oct I take a drive through neighborhoods of likely DIY big tree/ shrub installers to grab any big pots put out for recycling/trash. Have also been known to ask for any pots that professional landscapers may be installing that I see.

Judging from the numbers of dead and dying trees and shrubs this year, there should be good pickings now or Spring. If I score any, I'll bring to sallyg's swap.

I've also split a bale of promix potting soil in half and used them as "temporary" pots. If you turn them inside out, no white lettering will show and they can be 'rounded' or left rectangular. Just remember to stab some drainage holes if you want drainage instead of a water feature! And plant in place as they are hard to move --say adjacent to the planting hole you will (eventually) dig and amend.

Not exacctly on the same note, but Part 2 Hypertufa by Jill is the article of the day.
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/3884/

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9259366

Thank you, Coleup - that is greatly appreciated!! I'll have to google the promix bale you speak of as I'm not familiar with that.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9260168

coleup "I've also split a bale of promix potting soil in half and used them as "temporary" pots.""
Now isn't that smart!

Considering the Farmer's Market, --what time would you be going by? Are you going for sure?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
5:48 AM

Post #9260194

Coleup, if you do end up going I would love a bulb or two of each. Ill settle for a clove or two though.

Planting garlic is suppose to be great to deter the rabbits from your garden, if I remember correctly.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9260202

Speaking of their are too many rabbits and robins right now to count!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9260205

One of our friends from VA swears that garlic keeps deer away.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9260263

I have the deer problem under control..it is the little guys that are impossible.

I would really love to upload a picture of a baby snake sunning on some gerbers this morning. Unfortunately I don't think my phone likes dg.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9260265

terp - take pic with phone email to yourself - save to your docs and upload to DG frm computer. I would love to be able to upload pics to DG directly from phone same as FB etc.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
6:57 AM

Post #9260271

That is what I have been doing Chantell. But I would upload 5x as many pictures if it was directly from phone..

One step instead of five.

Want to create a free Dave's garden app for phones?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9260279

No problem Terp and Chantell, to pick up bulbs of garlic for others! Will do, and will get a list of varieties he grows for your preferred bulbs!

Sally, I usually drop by the market after I finish my paper route on Sat am. I have to pass by it to get to and from my route. Also, it is really close to where I live (less than 10 min away) so if you want to meet up just name a time or call me 10-15 min out.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
7:05 AM

Post #9260285

Awesome coleup, thanks. Very great resource

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9260471

coleup glad I have y'all up there to do this for me. Very much appreciate it!! Stronger flavor as to the type of garlic the better in my book. Completely trust your expertise though!!!

Terp - me, create an app? LOL Surely you jest!! Proficient at using them - creating would be a whole 'nother monster - God knows what fellow DGers would end up with.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9260761

See me in dmail please coleup?
sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012

Post #9260921

Well, classes started and I have been buried in syllabi, nervous students/ emails, and other joys.

I'll take pics of the evil grass (I wonder if there are two types) tomorrow and load them. Sadly, I also have to go and pull out reams of the stuff this weekend, although it is supposed to be hot and humid (again).

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9261492

Coleup and I did 'good' today. Really, she did. I just bought my own garlic to plant. I got all boogered in the brain there and didn't buy extra that I planned to. That place is busy!
He had Chesnok, Willamette, Oregon Blue, Music, Chinese White, elephant. Sold out of German White. He keeps all the biggest bulbs and sells the rest. Good sized ones were .75 $ each and the smaller ones Chinese White and Willamette were 4 for a dollar. So for sure a good way to get started on one's own garlic patch VS mailorder, unless you want to go big getting started.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9261509

Sounds like you had a fun morning, too. I was thinking about the garlic but never did get a chance to talk to Ric about it.
Added a little bump out on the water feature. Put in one of those mud pans like we used at Critter's to make a small bog area for extra plants. Ric has mentioned doing something to the black edges and I may see what I can do with those later. I have a few ideas on how to cover them.

Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS   Thumbnail by HollyAnnS      

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
11:24 AM

Post #9261516

Very nice. Congrats- you lasted about ten days between 'finishing' that feature, and adding to it. lol
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9261527

Yay for garlic!!!

Heehee. 10 days? That long? It looks great!!!!!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
11:53 AM

Post #9261537

Well the tray was just sitting on the patio full of extra plants, I had to do something with it. LOL The two Imperial Taro 'Illustris and a Justicia americana that I have for the swap are in there.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9261624

Holly--

Old--weathered--green moss would look nice to hide the back edges...like you see on rocks in the woods.
Have NO idea how you would keep it alive and thriving...There are all kinds of dried/preserved mosses
in craft stores. It does not have to "live" there--as long as it looks good. Reindeer Moss????

Allan Summers used to say if you want to start moss--you have to do it with buttermilk and water.
I am sure someone here will know of what i speak.

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9261635

Yes, it would and I do know how to grow moss using buttermilk. It is a pretty sunny location plus it is so non-porous that I doubt it would stick. Nice idea though.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9265727

OMG, I JUST SAW MY FIRST HUMMINGBIRD!

This is so exciting for me! I've been planting flowers that are supposedly hummingbird friendly but never saw any. I figured it would take awhile for them to find these flowers. This morning, I saw a beautiful hummingbird hovering around the canna flowers. Thank you Holly for the canna bulbs!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 5, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9265742

i am like yourself Terry and get really excited whenever I see a hummingbird. They are such extraordinary creatures and a real treat to watch. Hope you continue to see more and more of them. I have some tall red Zinnias that the hummingbirds have been gathering around for a couple of weeks now. I love seeing them too.

Ruby

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
4:47 PM

Post #9266242

SS, I have seeds for 2 vines that attract hummingbirds if you have the space for them. One is cypress vine http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/93/ the other is the teeny orange morning glory. If you want some - please dmail me and I'll bring to Sally's

Thumbnail by Chantell

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012

Post #9266363

SSG, The Hummers love cannas I was so surprised when I first realized that.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9266398

The color red is an attraction to hummers, whether it is a flower or not. Every day hummers ply the numerous blooming pots of plants on our deck. Invariably, the hummer gets sidetracked repeatedly checking out the red berries on the Pyracanthas planted beside the deck. Fairly entertaining to watch.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
6:53 PM

Post #9267507

The hummers do like the purple flowers on my Hyacinth bean too. I've had them go for tall mints--but they may have first checked me out for tall red cannas years ago.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
8:23 PM

Post #9267607

Always with hummers and the reds ,only this year they have been at my bronze fennel of all things. Only they still pass by where the cardinal flower was,and they stay at the zinnia a while.especially the red ones!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9267776

I still have not really seen a Hummer around here...Maybe I am just not looking...
Maybe they do not recognize my yard as a feeding place--as I have never put up a Hummer feeder...

Have plenty of red flowers. My two Cardinal flowers--tall Zinnias--lots of red Cannas????
Do they feed a certain time of day?

Are the Goldfinches feeding yet? Need to get my Thistle feeder out...if they are...
have seen a few flit around...

Thanks, Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9267785

Gita, the goldfinches were all over the agastache last month, but I haven't seen them recently. I had thought about getting a hummingbird feeder, but knowing me, I'd just attract the wasps!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 7, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9267795

Gita, I have seen hummingbirds at different times in the past but the last couple of weeks I have seen them on the red zinnias about sun set...7'ish? We used to have a feeder out front and they are lots of fun to watch as David mentioned. All birds are quite interesting truth be told. I have had many a laughs in the past while watching the antics of all sorts of birds feeding on our front deck.

Here is hoping that the upcoming weekend is a good one for all. Hope you have a productive and enjoyable one.

Ruby
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 8, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9269047

Ric and I had our Garden Tour today. It was very well worth all the work we put into it. We very much enjoyed the gardens we toured before coming to ours and It worked out great by the time everyone got here they were very glad for the hospatility drinks and snacks. They just loved the gardens.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9269070

Good to hear it went well! How many gardens did you tour before you came home? (Smart tour people saving the best for last) I'm sure you and Ric have even more ideas now! Did you end up filling in with something where the impatiens pooped out? Were you the only ones with a tropical flare? Water features? A green house? Personable chickens?

Catch your breath but do tell all!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9269111

That's great Holly! And the storms held off too. Poured rain here in the last 20 min.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
1:54 PM

Post #9269130

Sally, everyone in the library had to take cover in the 'meeting room' because of tornado! Rotation moving over to Eastern Shore now. Wind came up quickly but not much rain and no lightning. If a tornado is confirmed, that's the closest one I remember here. As a kid, closest was just a mile away!

Good news is I can move almost as fast as when a kid if life and limb at risk! Can't imagine 60 hours of same like Mississippi and LA experienced. My rain gauge only goes up to 5 inches!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9269237

Wow bet that was "fun!" I remember the big news when Severna Park had a small one touch down- about ten years ago? Big news for us since we almost never have any. It didn't do much damage that I recall. Nothing compared to the Midwest.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9269258

I was at a Women's conference in Philly this weekend and many left a little early because of the big storm threat. DIL and I got to my car just before the rain started coming down in buckets. Poured most of the way home.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
4:40 AM

Post #9269613

Coleup I can't believe how forgetful I was and walked out with out a camera. We were to do 4 gardens. Donna grows Roses hundreds of them. She also judges at rose shows and creates new breeds.
She backed out of the tour as she had so much deer damage she said they weren't worth coming to see. She thinks there could be a hundred of them that she won't be able to save.
So we only did 3 gardens, Liz has a very large property not sure how many acres she has but several. She runs the Hort Program at the local Community College. She had a lot of very large and impressive trees with wonderful shade gardens. She had several plants that I hadn't seen before and a few that are on my wish list. For me the highlight was the huge Red Wood.
Don is a florist, His garden is very small. They have issues with wildlife practically all his plants are in pots and most are tropical. He has an 8ft tall Brug, a lantana that was trained into tree form. A lest 6 varieties of EE. He has a deck and lovely small pond. Very natural. He had some amazing plants in his green house that were in bloom. It is really a small gem.
Peter Our current leader is bringing his wife back down for her to see the gardens. One of the local Garden Clubs was doing a tour yesterday also and their home was on the list. He said he needs to bring her to see our gardens.
Ric had stuck several of those dwarf red leaf begonias in the Veggie Garden, so we moved some of them into a few holes from the inpatients. I separated a caladium pot and added those to the window boxes and put a few pots of brightly colored tropicals in a few other spots.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 9, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9269788

Holly, thats quite a range of gardens for the tour!

Didn't know that deer could be so destructive to roses that they could kill them but then I only grow the roses that need no care from me. My hat is off to all rosarians out there. That certainly is a huge loss of time, hard work and beauty. Wonder what she would have to contribute to our discussion of 'flower show ethics'? Still, would have been nice to see just how it was set up, interplanting, etc. Hope that rose rosette disease spares her. Wonder if she will wait til Spring to pull them? 100 rose bushes is like me losing my big old white oak tree...My condolences to her.

Speaking of big trees, aren't those Dawn Redwoods just fabulous? I ate my lunch beneath one at the nursery where I worked. a 50 footer then, maybe close to seventy now. Yep, I think we in the East don't really fathom "fast growing and large" but this tree needs r o o m. I'm really drawn to it and just want to hang out in its anchientness. Also love the needles and the color is one not often seen round here. Harder to site than a banana grove, but I bet you are seriously considering it! I know they do Dawn Redwoods as bonsai but have never heard of them being grown in containers. Does hers both seed and sucker?

I would think that a florist would have a pretty interesting garden! How many new tropicals are on your wish list?

And, Holly, it is no surprise that your gardens are rating encore tours! Bravo.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9269875

Even with all of Don's EE's and he has some very impressive ones he was in awe of the big Portadoras. I'm giving him one when I dig them up. I was at Donnas home early spring to drop off some plants. She has a whole section with paths and Roses I don't think she grows anything else in that area. I sure would have liked to have seen it now. Yes those Red Woods are impressive too big for my yard
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9272014

Just popping in to say a

Happy Birthday Pat!!!!
Yep, today is ecnalds Birthday. I'm sure all of us wish her the very best year ahead and that she enjoy every minute of this super fabulous day and be refreshed!

Thumbnail by coleup

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9272356

A super, suppppeeerrrr birthday, Pat!!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9272361

Happy birthday Pat!

Thumbnail by sallyg

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012

Post #9272446

From me as well. Happy Birthday!!!
Hope you and David did something special--other than bundling plants for the swap.

Gita

These are all from my trip back home--in Latvia--2008. Flowers are everywhere there!
All these are to wish YOU a great Birthday!

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9272549

Happy Birthday Pat!!!!

Thumbnail by Chantell

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9272833

Many thanks for all the good wishes and visions of flowers. Latvia seems to abound in blooms. How lovely.

David and I enjoyed an Indian lunch buffet yesterday. Very little time on DG last night as I was on the phone with various folks, among them my parents, who celebrated their 70th anniversary last month.

Looking forward to Saturday and seeing so many of you and Sally's gardens.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9272873

70th? OMG...now THAT'S worthy of celebration!!!!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9272882

Definitely celebration worthy!!!! Congrats to them
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
8:30 AM

Post #9273025

Pat sounds like your BD was a great day. Belated Happiness. Wonderful for your parents!! Mine celebrated their 60th just a couple of years ago and I sure hope they will have a 70th.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9273377

My wintersown foxgloves are flowering now! This is very strange, but the flowers are even more pretty because they were unexpected!

But all of my caladiums and coleus are starting to look rather sad.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9273425

SS--

Hurry and take some Coleus cuttings while you can. They root easily.
I keep them under my light set-up. Don't use it for anything else in the winter!

Give the cuttings good light and keep just slightly watered until they have rooted.
Will save you a lot of money next year...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9274308

A note of caution for all you bargain-hunters:

I've been to 2 different Lowes in 2 weeks to buy plants on sale/clearance. Each time, they tried to charge me full price for everything. Lowes has great sales (50-75% off for succulents right now), but they really need to take care of this problem.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9274339

We need rain...water!!! Everything is cracking.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
6:19 PM

Post #9274441

ssgardener---

I stopped at my local Lowes and went back to the Clearance racks...
I could have bought 10"petunia HB's--but knew I had nowhere to hang them.

I DID buy 4" tall pots (like proven Winners has) of Pentas for .25 cents each. One of my favorite flowers.
I have a few "holes" here and there and will plant them there...Liberate them from those tight, little pots.

They had a lot of racks-full of clearance plants...Most--not worth buying...

Getting close to bed-time...will play one game of Mah Jong to tax my brain to sleep.
Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9276868

Gita,
The brazilian plume flower that you gave me in the spring is doing great. It is about the only thing still blooming in my garden now. My friend Cheryl swung by to pick me up this afternoon, and she was admiring it. She would love to have one to take to Florida with her. You know I don't know much about this kind of thing. How do I get something from my plant to start growing from her? Cutting? How? Don't even know where to cut, how to root, etc...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:04 PM

Post #9276881

teri--

I would not cut a new seedling plant. There just won't be enough left to grow.
Someone had one att he swap--I don't know who?

Mine has grown huger and huger as the summer went on. Have you seebn the pictures I posted?
The leaves, especially, have grown BIG! Sturdy looking!

I will not take cuttings this fall from it. I want to let it grow to its fullest extent for next year.

You could go to PF--put in Barzilian Plume flower ans, as the 1st page comes up,
there is usually---"4 members has this plant for sale...". Then you click on that line--
and it will take you to the site that is selling it.

I got mine, originally, at Rawlings Conservatory as a rooted, small plant.

Good luck! Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:37 PM

Post #9276906

I need help identifying a rodent (??) I saw in my neighbor's yard today.

It was too big to be a mouse.

Too round in shape (and tail too short) to be a rat.

Too big to be a vole.

Tail too skinny to be a squirrel.

I've never seen a mole before. I guess it *could* have been a mole, but it didn't have those obvious paws/snout. Maybe it was just going too fast for me to notice? Also, do moles get as big as a city rat? Do we have moles in the Mid-Atlantic? Would they be traveling on the ground in broad daylight like this? I've never seen that telltale sign of mole damage around here.

It was dark in color -- dark grey, maybe?

It ran across my neighbor's yard and then hid under her field of hostas.

I think I'm just a little bit freaked out after all the stories of rabid wildlife that I've been reading.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9276930

Possum?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9276933

Happy, we have possums in our area??

I think that's a possibility.

And ew...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9276937

A neighbor 1/2 mile away caught one (unintentionally) in his trash can many years ago...

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9277030

SSG - I guarantee you have possums in your neighborhood, as well as raccoons, foxes, flying squirrels, probably skunks and possibly coyotes. If the creature was hiding it was unlikely rabid.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9277034

How about a weasel ,a ferret escaped from someone(or let run loose) or maybe a Nutria

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012

Post #9277040

Sorry i forgot the too round in in shape could mean a ground hog ,this is the time of year they are still small as young. They are and would be about that size and color. As are Nutria...

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9277045

Certainly not a Nutria in her neighborhood, wrong environment. (I just happen to be familar with where she lives.) Ground hogs almost certainly as well as rabbits, weasels and mink within a few blocks, probable. Maybe even a bobcat in the nearby woods.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
5:31 PM

Post #9277047

I agree a young groundhog would be roundish, fast, daytime, and dark. Possums seems to be a light grey.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9277067

greenthumb99 ; from what I understand about Nutria(and that as much as some in warmer climates) they can and will live wherever minks could or do.
Although admittingly I have only seen one here,( if there is such a thing as one).
I hope hers is only the passing ground hog, they tend to move away from people if at all possible.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
5:45 PM

Post #9277069

The only thing about a groundhog that doesn't fit is that it didn't have a bushy tail.

Thank you all for the suggestions! I had no idea there could be so much wildlife in my neighborhood.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9277074

hm, did you see a naked tail? or just "not a bushy squirrel like tail". I would say a groundhog tail is not that noticeable..
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9277089

The tail looked skinny, but I couldn't tell if it had any fur on it at all.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9277094

As for the mystery mammal, the local first year ground hogs are much bigger than rats by now. Moles are pretty slow and about the same size as voles, thus too small, shrews even smaller. Possums are slow, plus the young ones are as least as big as rats by late June. Juhur7 makes a good point, that neighborhood is too high and dry for either mink or nutria. Rabbits are too distinctive, as are feral kittens.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9277097

Well, no offense , but rats are possilble. We found two dead young rats last fall- we think they got flooded out from the woods after all that rain, and then ? what killed them. But kind of surprised to find rats.

8 ^/

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012

Post #9277099

You all realize that leaves us with dry land Muskrats or Prairie dogs LOL.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9277108

There are both native and naturalized rat species in the area but ssgardener spoke of "city rats" for size comparison, indicating that she is familar rats and prone to recognize them.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9277116

While I am getting to talkative and hairy animal to the extreme, you don;t suppose her neighbors have been raising guinea pigs or chinchilla do you? O f course if I ever saw a gray guinea pig that size I'D WORRY!!!

Truly I had no Idea you all had Prairie dogs! really?My how things have changed

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9277118

I personally think it is a possum based on Terris description. You definitely have them in your neighborhood.

I have trapped and release a few and "disposed" of others. Generally they are harmless. They look awful yes. If you have a compost they enjoy that at my house, I had one sneaking in to the garage to clean up my recycling bin. I've also seen smaller ones underneath the bird feeder.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9277121

"Looked skinny" sounds like a naked (enough ) tail, to be either possum or rat. Or kangaroo. Or kangaroo rat.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 16, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9277129

lol sally I agree with both of you though and started to say earlier rats vary so much in their look so that or the possum with dark fur is far more likely than any of the others.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9277131

aww cute
http://www.westsoundwildlife.org/wildlife/patientstories/PS_TrashCanOpossum.html

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
6:43 PM

Post #9277139

Someone at yesterday's swap spoke of a wallaby having been caught somewhere in Maryland in the past. Was that you Terp? :-)
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
7:05 PM

Post #9277179

Yeaaaaaaa something like that...

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9277207

Sally--
That link does not open. I c/p and put it in my URL--and it said: "page not found"...

Care to try again? G.

BTW---There are dark brown rats. I had one once in my yard.
Ran so fast along my shed bottom, I could hardly make out what it was.

Of course, having a County sewer Drain right behind my shed --rats could easily come up for daylight.

No one has mentioned Chipmunks...The can run fast!
Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9277251

My yard is overrun with chipmunks. But they don't have skinny tails, and that was one of ssgardener's criteria.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9277489

Also, chipmunks are quite distinctive and easily identified, even on the run.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9277525

Try ''the trash can opossum"-- It's a story of a baby possum that was taken to a vet/ wildlife center for care.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9277574

http://www.westsoundwildlife.org/wildlife/patientstories/PS_TrashCanOpossum.html

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 8:29 AM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
8:17 AM

Post #9277671

There is an Allegheny Wood Rat whose tail is furry, but not bushy.
http://users.dickinson.edu/~wright/TeamWoodrat/woodratID/

Don't know what a muskrat tail looks like...not a skunk although I once mistook one for a feral cat until it got closer and I moved out of its foraging path. To me, baby coons look like well, coons. And possums are way too light colored to be called dark. And it would be fairly far from water to be a muskrat or even otter...

So, my vote goes for young ground hog because of "roundness" and its being out and about in the day and crossing open ground to cover.

I try to remember that like major storms and floods, occasionally birds of prey can "distribute" critters we usually don't see if they loose their grip! as well as the havaheart relocators. I reckon our local golf course has an overpopulation of groundhogs, etc as in one day of being out and about I overheard three different people recommend that as a "perfect relocation destination"!! Yikes.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 10:59 AM
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9277786

FORE!!! They would make new kinds of hazards.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9277865

Jan, I just burst out laughing thinking of a bird dropping a rat on my head as I'm gardening outside.

It definitely wasn't grey, so possum (opposum?) is probably out.

I'm thinking that rat is a possibility (shudder), but the tail was *short,* skinny and non-bushy (but possibly furry). Both the allegheny and norway rats seem to have long tails. And their bodies are different from what I observed. Rats have long-ish bodies, whereas the animal I saw was compact, almost cylindrical.

It had the color and round shape of a mole, so that's still a possibility.

I have seen a raccoon in my neighborhood, so it shouldn't surprise me that we have other small mammals. But honestly, I'd rather have garden snakes...

Thank you all for brainstorming with me! I'm going to be extra cautious out there this week.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9278005

Well, Teri--

As far as a short tail--do not exclude that this critter may have lost a part of its tail
in a trap, in a mishap or in a fight with another animal...
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9278329

Come here rain...come on. I saw a forecast for up to 4 inches of rain in my area. Not ideal by any means. Let's just hope for a slow drizzle to start, let the ground soften and soak.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9278334

Agreed. Wouldn't it be great if we could have it rain at our command?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9278336

Well if you have to monetary resources I believe you can schedule and command it.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 17, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9278338

Heehee. But a nice soaking rain is ideal. Hubby just asked if I put the windows up on the car. Oh, yes, but it doesn't matter cuz there is a leak somewhere when it rains hard. He has tried to trace it. Hopefully it won't rain from that direction.

How was the wedding?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 17, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9278344

Great. Things have to go pretty wrong for a wedding not to be fun. It was a shame I couldn't stay longer at the swap. Great event, I really had no idea what to expect.

Now we have to clean up the event sticky...

Spring swap is...and at your place Jan?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 18, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9278601

Yeppers!!! The Saturday after Mother's Day. I'll start the threads for that in early April. I am only 2 miles from the Delaware Memorial bridge in Pennsville, NJ. Already praying for a super, duper weather day like we had at Sally's.

It poured here during the night.

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
4:55 AM

Post #9279713

I was driving home from work - going north and passed through about 10 minutes of fury as the storm was heading south. Wind and blinding rain - couldn't see at all. Amazing that there were no accidents along the way, and commute was one of the easiest that I've had in a long time. Made it from DC to Leesburg in 1 hour flat! Gardens got a nice soaking too, and I didn't lose power. I never much thought about storms one way or the other until that horrible one in July. Now I cringe every time I hear the weather reports forecasting severe rain or tornadoes - puts a different perspective on it. The storm yesterday had no impact at Aspen Hill, what a relief!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9279773

Glad to hear that! DH's school had called off all after school activities and sent out an automated call for parents to make arrangements to pick their kids up as soon as school finished. They followed the lead of a nearby public school system. We had a few branches down, but nothing major.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
7:49 AM

Post #9279865

[quote="aspenhill"]... I never much thought about storms one way or the other until that horrible one in July. Now I cringe every time I hear the weather reports forecasting severe rain or tornadoes - puts a different perspective on it.[/quote]

As we talked at the recent swap, I could tell how traumatic that storm was for you, Terri. I,m glad that you can acknowledge that fear as there seems such embarassment about being 'afraid' of anything big or small. Too much stoicism/denial keeps us separated from those many moments in a life that put us in perspective. Your heightened sense of awareness around high winds and storms is now better than any weather channel alerts which many people do not take seriously or dismiss if the predicted danger doesn't materialize.

Also, I resonate with your sadness at loosing a tree and taking out another because of proximity to house...and your adjustment to new patterns of light and shadow around you. Glad that angel statue Chantell posted on the prayer request thread for dear Becky is there for you.

My 'fear thing' (well one of them!) around storms, etc is not hearing that people are okay, so I am very grateful for those who check in after a major storm or quake moves through.

And, my reminder to myself and others, get some new wiper blades as this hot hot summer has really dried them out!

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9279882

Hi Terri, Glad that storm passed you by with no issues. I love storms, the wildness of them, wind, lightening and all. But I quite often think that we have never had any problems because of them. No damage, no trees falling on us nothing bad has ever happened and that is why I can sit back and see a big storm and think WOW isn't this great.
Ric has out the chain saw today. He limbed up some of the Everygreens on the road side of the group in preparation for some new shade loving bushes and plants. Took out the dying Blue Spruce boy that made a big hole. Even dead branches fill up space.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9280103

Boy that wind was brutal rain hard thencthe whole thing done by dinnertime. I was expecting a whole night of storms
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9280131

I think the entire area is a little jumpy after that late June storm we got this year. I'm with you holly I love storms, lightning wind rain the whole nine.

Fortunately I think we got enough of the slow drizzle type rain that the erosion wasn't too severe. After checking all my recent swap plants only a wood poppy from happy that I placed on a hill was gripping on for life and an ajuga from Terri ssg that i planted at the exit of downspout for soil retention. Probably could use a lot more there but I hesitate to plant more.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 19, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9280246

I remember coming home in an airplane and running though a storm. You could see the lighting out over the clouds and the air turbulence made the plane feel like a roller coaster. I though it was fun. My friends though they were going to die.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9280339

It rained a couple of days ago here thunder, lightning after a long cloudy drizzle. I'm not use to digging anymore, I'm a little wore out from digging and forking up Sunchokes.
Industrial equipment might make this part of gardening fun but I ain't John Henry ,and I will be at it a few days.

Well anyway, lot's of roots and tomatoes the past few days.
The Sunchokes"

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9280395

Well how about the new baby at the Washington zoo!

I've flown in a plane several times ,not bad, but you wouldn't get me on a roller coaster!!!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9280420

juhur, what do you do with your sunchokes? I dig mine, bag them , and then forget them in the extra fridge all winter and summer. Now its time to dig more LOL

Nice moist garden today so I got things planted and moved. So much pruning I never got to this summer...ugh

Plane over roller coaster here. Esp when my DH is Pilot in command! I trust him!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9280436

Mine tend to break down in the fridge sooo I bag them in our handy dandy air dry mesh bags and set them in an open box.( they stay like potatoes for me ,even though I have never seen that recommended).
As far as food I mostly grind them into mush and add mix them with my mashed potatoes. Every so often they get used for thin sliced tiny ,added to oriental stir fry ,cold additive. Like the kitchen chopper thing.

I hear they keep five years in the fridge if dried properly (my difficulty) perhaps you might know if that is true?lol

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9280450

[quote="juhur7"]

I hear they keep five years in the fridge if dried properly (my difficulty) perhaps you might know if that is true?lol[/quote]

HAHAHA!! check back in four...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9280455

okay I gotcha, I'm on hold till then^_^

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
5:09 PM

Post #9280476

Guess what i found today on my grassless patch in the middle of my front lawn?

Don't remember where we all chatted about holes in out lawns...but here are mine--brand new...
At least--I know they were not there last week as I mowed my lawn.

I got a 2' long stick and pushed it into the hole (on the left) and it went ALL the way in!!!
Maybe, at that point, it made a turn? The other hole was not that deep--at least not measuring by my stick.

I did what i always do. Stuck a good-sized rag, soaked in Ammonia, into each hole.
Will see what's up tomorrow...
Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9280480

German Gerbils lol!!!! Yeah I know I'm suppose to be hold.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 19, 2012
5:18 PM

Post #9280490

How odd Gita.

juhur, give me five years- Half my bag is moldy and the other half sprouting, after 12 mo in fridge.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9280509

sallyg;That's what has twice happened to mine , not as easy to dry properly as one might be told or read to believe.

Gitagal; I hate those things when they catch my heel or toe, My comments aren't for ears We get the usual moles that just hill up tunnels as they burrow, only those burrows get soggy some years and your foot sinks into them, You have be careful not to twist something when those are soft ground sabotaging, beside the plants they tend to destroy.Grrrrr!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
7:28 PM

Post #9280603

Juhur---

I do not have any Moles here--never have--in 43 years. Soil is too dense.

What are German gerbils? Or were you being funny???? I have never seen these kind of holes before--
right out in the open on my lawn.

I live in a development--and do not have much wildlife here--except Squirrels, Chipmunks, a rabbit or two--
and a mouse--now and then.
Twice in the 43 years--I have known the presence of a Ground Hog. I believe I had one this past summer--but the Ammonia rags
stopped that critter--and I never saw it again.

This one has me stumped! We had a big discussion about holes like this in a lawn--but I forgot what Thread it was on.
Too many to go and find.
Help me out here...Who had the holes???? Gita

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 19, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9280670

I wasn't exactly being funny, although it was meant as light humor , There is in fact a creature(rodent) that is brown like a chipmunk about the same as a large field mouse that is referred to commonly as a German Gerbil because Germany and central Europe is where they come from just like Gerbils and Hamsters. They are European rodents ,they do get loose, and sometimes you might see some of them .
They burrow just like that if those holes are about the size of a large old time silver dollar, that or chipmunks looks real similar.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 20, 2012
4:39 AM

Post #9280811

Gita: FWIW, I have these same holes in my very dense yard, here and there. I have lots and lost of chipmunks, and I tend to think they are from them. Might be from snakes, though, I suppose.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 21, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9281994

I feel terrible for ssgardener and the animals she must face as she tries to garden. Poor lady...even though I have spent most of my life living in rural areas where it would seem that lots of animals reside and a resident such as myself should see lots of them, thankfully I have been fortunate enough to usually miss any that are really scary.

I hadn't read this thread for some time, so really enjoyed hearing everyone's input on trying to guess the critter at ssgardener's house. Strangest thing I have witnessed here was an albino skunk lolling across my front yard some years back. There are some who don't believe I saw it, but I know what I saw.

As for the infamous 2012 storm...I am married to man who is much like you others who love storms. He usually goes out of the screen porch and watches them. The evening this particular storm came through, he did as always, but returned in a short while saying that he got scared. I took it to be a joke until the next day when experiencing and hearing of the terrible damage to our area. For weeks when leaving home there was evidence of something major having happened, with many downed trees a good time later. John called the destruction something similar to a war zone at the time. Amazing for sure!!!

Seeing that it is Friday once again, I would like to wish each of you a very wonderful weekend. Take good care all and happy gardening.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9282268

Well---
The mystery of my holes has been solved! And--NO animal was responsible for it--but the BG&E crew.
They could have let me know--before i went to all kinds of extremes to find out what dug my holes...

They are digging across the street to locate the gas and electric lines--as the street light I fought so hard
to have installed will be done this week. Our County Councilman, David Marks, is an awesome man!
He cares so much for his community and domain. Besides--he lives in the circle behind me.
I approached him and he OK'd it i no time flat. I just had to go to EVERY house in this block and
have everyone sign the "petition" to have this light installed.
I have lived here for 43 years--and out whole block has been pitch dark all these years.

SO! The BG&E (Baltimore Gas and Electric) that are digging up everything across the street,
had come on my side to see where the gas lines go. They smelled some gas near a Verizon "hole"
and called in to have someone come and check it out. Besides, they drilled 2 holes identical to mine right next to the
Verizon hole (with a silly little lid over it) to check for gas leaking. They suspected that Verizon,
who had been here a few days ago, damaged something in the hole and caused the gas smell.
They were saying that Verizon always messes things up. Must not be very well-trained technicians
So this woman in a gas service van comes around to the back and asks me if I was having any gas problems.
I say "NO!"--and she says: "But I have a ticket that you called in with a gas problem!"...I still say--NO!

So she walks around and sprays that awful red paint all over my grass and sidewalk. I HATE that! She said she had to...
It is still there--3 years later!!!! Besides--right there in the median were 2 holes--just like the ones I saw on my lawn.
I walked across the street and asked the guys working on the lines for the street light if they had called it in??
The foreman said--"Yes!"--because they had smelled gas. Seems they had drilled all 4 holes to check for gas smell.

And here I had written to the UMD garden advice line to see what they think dug the holes.
Their guess was Voles or Chipmunks. I totally disagree! What Chipmunk would dig a hole 18" straight down?????

In a way--All's well that ends well! BUT--It would have been nice if they had left a note that they drilled 2 holes
into my front lawn earlier...

Pulled my Ammonia soaked rags out of the 2 holes and was glad there was no critters to blame...

Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9282289

What an unexpected solution! Funny that I have holes like that all over our yard -- but I'm sure it isn't the gas company!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9282296

A H,HA!!! They were "digging machine animals" tee hee ^_^

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9282310

You can tell it's Friday I 'm feeling younger and more odd than ever.
Tell UMD_Terp we have found "verizonia rodensis augerii" at Gita's. (WB) cartoons

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9282324

[quote="juhur7"]Tell UMD_Terp we have found "verizonia rodensis augerii" at Gita's. (WB) cartoons[/quote]

Hmmm are you sure it's the rare but tenacious verizonia rodensis augerii? I was thinking twas the center of crop circles to follow...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9282354

More terrestrial than extra terrestrial perhaps (terrestris verizonia rodensis augerii) Only be careful if they are from Orion or Alpha Centurea they have ray gun features.!! GOODNESS vaporized by a mouse, imagine !!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9282374

It could be looked at as a gas, green, of category ,a few of them.

(Verizonius Gassiaous )
(Makesyourgreeniousdissapearous)

Okay it's raining outside and I am through now, Silly aren't I ? Little boredom

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9282439

I know I am behind the times------but I do not know what you all are talking about...

Now--using my intelligentius nogginius--I am assuming you are talking about a new species of plant.. How exciting!!!
Lets see----it is a Verizon Rodent that runs an auger with gas???????? Easy--peazy!

Oh--I am SOOO smarteous--it makes Gitaeousii Happiousii...

There is an unusual new plant I see across the street. A very bright orange with white striping.
All of a sudden--there is whole row of these plants! Just amazing!
The plant is broader on the bottom and has a white striping near the top.
Almost looks like a Cone Flower...I believe it is called Trafficiousi warningeum rubberii.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9282448

LOL Gita I love it!. A little humor about the not so funny,having streets gardens and walkways in disrepair while being repaired is no where near as fun as the humor. This week they dug up the street here replaced a pipe and were gone and done in about four hours ,like zoom!!
Found a plant growing in my garden this week that looks like a Oak-Leaved Japanese Maple wonder if is? I'm fair at plant ID maybe next year I will know . I think it is neat to get to guess once in a while.
Weather here makes one feel all wet and gooey and soggy, while working outdoors ,yes indeed fall begins.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9282458

Oh Gita. I just googled that plant with the white stripped orange leaves! Evidently,..." it spreads by a series of undergound runners or overhead vines from densely populated areas to cul de sacs where once it becomes 'established and after the leaves disappear a single very tall straight flower stalk appears, seemingly overnight!

Much like its distant relative NBC it too is said to bloom at night and is fairly unremarkable during the day. Most notable about the bloom is the selfcontained glow which is said to rival the moon in brightness. mostly white or cloudy white but some with a blue or yellow cast The bloom is sterile and without scent, yet attracts many insects. Under the right conditions the bloom and stalk will persist for many years. They are drought tolerant. "

Hope you enjoy the unusual orange leaves before they disappear and let us know if yours blooms!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 21, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9282459

juhur--

Take a picture of the plant and go to the Plant ID Forum. You will have an answer before you can sneeze...

The work they are doing across the street from me is installing a street light. We have never had one here
in this block--in all 43 years.
I was instrumental to get the County to install two. One will be pretty much across the street fro me...

Beautiful days we are having here--for almost a week. Cool, cool nights and awesome days...

Stay well--Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9282475

And, here is some more from another site,,,
"Occasionally. prior to the appearance of the large cone shaped leaves, often mistaken for flowers, a random series of uneven lines and cross hatches will be observed on lawns and sidewalks with in a radius of up to several hundred feet of the emergence. These 'lines' are bright florescent colors of orange, or yellow."

And later in the article, "There have been several reports of thin yellow streamers running between cones. If any of these streamers remain after the substantial cones disappear they should be promptly and properly disposed of and not composted. No part of this plant is at this time considered edible."

This message was edited Sep 21, 2012 6:52 PM

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 21, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9282482

Gita; I will get there eventually(the ID forum) all have is a little camera (novelty really) makes it difficult to photo small plants.
I can't remember ever living anywhere that didn't have street lights, maybe a few farms where any lights were at all where I had stayed a while with family . Good luck to you, with your new lights maybe all the invasive wildlife will subside and you will get to watch the bats, moths and other insects flying around the street lamps.
Life is usually a little more busy than that, but I once got to see a large albino bat flying around a street light
Thunderstorms going here now, finally decided to rain a while like it means it.Makes for a cold Friday night.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2012
5:10 PM

Post #9282497

lol
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9282543

Got my jollies this evening for sure. V E R Y funny!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
7:50 AM

Post #9282950

FALL HAS ARRIVED--RIGHT NOW, AS I WRITE THIS!!!!!

Below is a c/p from the Rawlings Newsletter. The Mum Show will run from Sept. 27--Nov. 11th.
If you have never been to Rawlings--you are missing a GEM!

Fall Mum Show and Preview Party Fundraiser

Mark your calendars! You will not want to miss the spectacular Chrysanthemum Display. The Dragon's Garden: Elements of the Chrysanthemum runs October 27 - November 11. The Preview Party will be October 26, 6 - 8 p.m. W
We will be sending out invitations soon with information about how to purchase your tickets.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 22, 2012

Post #9282971

Lets continue our chat over on a new Fall thread here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281153/

See you there!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 22, 2012

Post #9282973

What is happening in my neck of the woods is that as of yesterday, the Stink Bugs are baaaacccckkkkkkkk. God, how I hate them. I killed as many as I could and had a real blast blasting with the jet setting of my water hose. They tend to congregate on the end of my house on the screened porch. So far they seem to all be outside having only seen a very few that have made it indoors...for now at least.

I have had my camera sitting on my desk for several days now. I got it out when spying a blooming Swedish Ivy that I received from Gita some time back. I haven't seen a Swedish Ivy take bloom much, so I wanted to snap a photo of it. I also wanted to take pictures of a couple of African Violets and Streptocarpus I received from donnerville too because they are definitely putting on a great show currently. Heck, like Juhur, I hope that hearing about these will suffice for now...I am really bad about taking pictures.

I am hoping that today and tomorrow will be the beginning of bringing house plants back indoors. Have you all done that yet? I have a new three shelf, quite good size lighted plant stand that Becky gifted me with some months back. I am anxious to get some plants on it because I have drooled over this sort of shelving for years now.

Hubby is at Farmer's Market this morning, first time since June. He only had Caryoperteris and Aster to take along with a dozen or so of my houseplants. Not sure how he is making out. There are only about two or three more markets this season.

Anyway...hope every one is having a decent enough weekend. Take good care all.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 22, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9283326

Birdie,

Sorry to be so late answering you. I have been quite busy,,,

--Rooting Lavender?

NO! I have never done it, Yes! spring is the best time to take cuttings of anything as the
plant is "waking up", full of juices and ready to grow... In the Fall--plants are ready to snooze.

--Why do I trim the larger leaves at the top on a cutting?

When you take a cutting, it has no roots and no means of sustaining large leaves, blooms or fruit.
It takes a lot of energy for a plant to keep all those going. You take a cutting--and it just cannot do it.
Removing as many leaves as judicious and trimming, smaller, any large leaves on the top of the cutting
relieves the plant from this stress. Same goes for removing any blooms as well as any flower buds that may be forming.
Growing new roots is all a cutting has energy for in the beginning. Once it is rooted--you will see new leaves
and stems starting to grow. New growth is a sure sign your cutting is rooting.

Hope this answers your question. Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 25, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9286269

Our new fence is up!
Hooray!

I don't have to worry about that @#$*&% dog anymore. Yesterday was the first time in a long time that I went out to my own backyard, all by myself, without a weapon for protection.

Now it's looking *awfully* empty. I know I need some tall vertical accents, but I have no idea where to begin...

And there's a huge mess to clean up. I knew the planting beds would be disturbed by the workers, but I had no idea to what extent. There's sooo much work to do...

I'll get a picture asap and will be accepting any planting/landscaping advice you have. :)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9286287

Woohoo!!!! Glad you feel secure now. That must have been awful feeling trapped in your own yard with inconsiderate neighbors. I could hear your sigh of relief all the way into Jersey.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 25, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9286323

ssgardener Great news!

Come on over to our new chat thread over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281153/#new

Thanks, Judy
sissystars
Perkasie, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 26, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9287513

Sorry to have been absent.

I could not find the cable to upload pics. After I finally asked my son where it might be, I wast old that he could not tell me where to find it - but assured me he could find it when he next comes home. :-) So, I decided to fight the (I think, several) nasty grasses rather than worry about what they are.

Some weeks and many poison ivy reactions later, I have decided to check in and see what is happening.

DEATH to poison ivy and evil invasive grassy weeds!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 26, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9287552

[quote="coleup"] Hey sissy. Great to hear from you. Sorry to hear about battles with evil ivy,

Come on over to our new chat thread over here
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1281153/#new

Thanks, Judy[/quote]

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America