Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Crop Failures;

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 23, Views: 237
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 19, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9246963

I'm hearing stories & stories about crops not producing any fruit. Is there something unusual going on like the sale of unfertile seeds? Is there too much sunlight that someone suggested & our plants are be irradiated. We need to hear of crop failures & successes.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
8:42 AM

Post #9247554

Many of my crops failed because of the heat! Also maybe because I had to water (no rain) and city water has additives, but I don't know for sure!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9247690

Crop failures are a fact of life. Even the best commercial growers experience them.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9248367

IN the north east here. Apples, some people's strawberries, and other fruit trees are have low production because it got too warm, for too long, too early and then turned cold. This kills buds and no fruit this year. We then had weeks over very hot very dry weather and that did other things in. Corn is behind here and I was talking to a farmer and he was teling me that his hay crop is 35% of normal. Weather sometimes just gets you.
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9248712

yeah, I recently read that many fruits (including my tomatoes) can't even be pollinated over 90 degrees. Needless to say I had very few fit for canning. My peppers were all sunburnt, but that was my own fault. I planted them in rows instead of blocks. My peas burned up of course and my cucumbers got bitter fast. All because of the heat. Squash bugs really did a number on my gardens this year too! UGH!!!! What a disappointing year! At least my root veg is okay, although not growing quit as big as usual, we are still getting SOME yield!

Oh well! I'm already looking forward to next Spring LOL! Try try again :)
jjsgramma
Woodhull, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
5:26 AM

Post #9249747

Sweetie my DH and the neighbors all laughed at me when I hung sheets over my plants to shade them when we had all those 100 days... I'm doing the laughing now...I have more tomatoes than I know what to do with. I also buried plastic coffee cans next to them and watered through those...so could keep them watered well without wasting water.

cucumbers were bad...pulled them real early...
sweetie77
Kankakee, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
8:31 AM

Post #9251148

oooooooo love the idea of buried coffee cans! I knew I was saving them for something ;)

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9251967

I see a ton of outdoor plants with an upended liter coke bottle providing drip irrigation to garden plants around the south, I used to shade my toms and peppers too, but I plant in blocks for both water and shade conservation anyway.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9259349

I finally had to pull up my broccoli. First it was cabbage loopers then army worms. They got my kale too, but it came back.

I just can't grow bell peppers, and have a lot of trouble with radishes and carrots, but I don't think I can blame the weather for the peppers. . .maybe the radishes and carrots. I'm trying radishes again. I am really through with bell peppers though. I say that every year, but this time I mean it. I read on one of these forums that there is a pepper that tastes like sweet bell peppers, but is a lot easier to grow. Now I don't know where I saw that. Does anyone know?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9259382

most bell peppers arent like the ones we buy commercially- there IS one that grows in the south really well. Were you referring to a sweet banana pepper maybe that is sweet tasting? This is a bad year tho, cant judge by these last 2 years-no winter made for a huge amount of bugs- and many farmers planted late as well. You probably read about it on the pepper forum...
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9260229

Kittriana, thanks for responding. I don't think it was a banana pepper. I read so much... I'm not sure which forum, but I know it was DG. Should have saved it when I saw it 'cause I knew this was going to happen.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2012
7:00 AM

Post #9260277

There are lots of sweet non-bells. Carmen is the most often mentioned, but Lipstick, Giant Marconi, Italia, Rouge Royale etc even Cubanelle types are suitable for many of the same uses as bells. I have no problem with bells so can't say they are easier to grow, but they are earlier then bells. Many folks who can't seem to grow bells, swear by them. http://www.totallytomato.com/dc.asp?c=35
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9265787

Thank you Farmerdill! You've helped me before and I appreciate your sharing your vast knowledge! I'm going to print & save this!
I did harvest some radishes yesterday!! First good batch! If at first you don't succeed...
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9268064

I have grown a sweet banana type and also the chocolate one with success. I bought them from the nursery as plants, though. So thanks, Farmerdill for the link -- I may try the seeds.

Like Idealpeggy, I haven't had much luck with bells. I did read from someone on this list that peppers like to have their leaves touching. I also thought that one I had in a tomato cage last year did a little better than the others that were not in cages -- but why, I don't know. Maybe support, maybe protection from wind or critters, or could have been a different variety altogether.

SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 8, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9269080

Peppers like well drained warm soil. We grow them in either a raised bed or container.

The water is here is alkaline. So if we are watering a lot we have to use a sulfur amendment on the soil. I also give the containers a shot of acid based fertilizer. We were also told to add nitrogen periodically to the beds.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9270841

I did all of the above-raised bed, fed, caged, did not overwater. . . they still died! Bell peppers don't like me!
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 12, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9273197

Did you do a soil test to see if where you are in the PH range.
idealpeggy
Lexington, KY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9273990

"Did you do a soil test to see if where you are in the PH range"-

This year I planted my peppers in a brand new Raised Bed with new soil-so that wasn't it either!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 13, 2012
9:18 AM

Post #9274002

Ky was wet and cold this year, they needed more heat I'm sure, and planted closely together, most bells aren't like the store bought ones- tho I believe they say Big Bertha works in the south for the big fruits, I don't have patience to grow them, but usually when I do, I plant them so I can wrap a plastic sheet around the clump and contain them away from wind, good luck
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
12:35 PM

Post #9274146

The only reason I can see that you would not test the new soil is that both it and the soil it sits on must have been tested before. If not then it still needs to be tested to see if it is lacking.
behillman
Plantersville, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 13, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9274271

What is the PH for bell peppers? Can someone come up with the number so that I won't have to look it up? I know there is a list of the ph of each vegetable , but I need to find the list. Would one say they are a cool crop, but not freezing.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9274365

I think peppers are the wamrest-weather crop I would ever consider trying. Warmer than tomatoes.
LiseP
San Antonio, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 14, 2012
7:02 AM

Post #9274870

According to Ohio State University, ideal pH is 6-6.8.
Here's a link to some more info:
http://ohioline.osu.edu/hyg-fact/1000/1618.html
SusanKC
Shawnee Mission, KS
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9275532

If you have problems with them in WA then try them in containers. They like warm well drained soil.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America