-
AuthorContent
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9247403

Thanks to all the posters in this forum, I have a "crop" of 'tufa pots. Most of my molds came from the dollar store and Goodwill. But I wanted to make a modern-style planter and tried to make my own mold. As you can see in the pic, I used foam house insulation and a lot of duct tape. I had to destroy the inner mold to remove the planter. I used vegetable spray as a release agent. My question is; does anyone have a better idea?

Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39
Click an image for an enlarged view.

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
8:10 AM

Post #9247527

Your idea of home foam insulation is the best idea I have hear sofar.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 27, 2012
5:01 PM

Post #9256157

liatris39 wrote:Thanks to all the posters in this forum, I have a "crop" of 'tufa pots. Most of my molds came from the dollar store and Goodwill. But I wanted to make a modern-style planter and tried to make my own mold. As you can see in the pic, I used foam house insulation and a lot of duct tape. I had to destroy the inner mold to remove the planter. I used vegetable spray as a release agent. My question is; does anyone have a better idea?

I agree with Plantsforpeg - you did an amazing job and the fact you repurposed items to do it worked for me! May I ask your recipe - I am trying to come up with the best mix - I have only done this once, and even though I liked what I did, I know I didn't do it right! I only used cement and shredded paper - I would like a lighter mix.
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 5, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9265555

My mixture is

1 part Portland
1 part Pearlite
1 part Peat

I think the curing is a key to getting the finished product right. I cured mine in black garbage bags for one month. Weekly, I would turn the pots. It has been very hot, humid and rainy in Florida this summer. When I would open the bags, the heat inside was approx. 110F. The first time I tried 'tufa, I couldn't help myself and added sand. I got lovely cement planters that weighed a ton! lol
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 5, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9265836

If you look at Tomtom's member page and her posts. She has several receipes and beautiful show and tell pieces.
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 3, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9294866

I made these up for a craft fair at work and don't know what to price them. The 'tufa pots are 9-11" across. help...

Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39      

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 5, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9296727

I'd price them at at least $20 each. Pots like this sell for that much. Do not underprice them. they are beutiful. kb
bedouin
Fort Lauderdale, FL
(Zone 10b)

October 14, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9305135

Very imaginative and appealing liatris. Did you use the same formula for the large container? (1:1:1)
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 1, 2013
3:03 PM

Post #9372587

My latest go at hypertufa - for the lizard - I made a sand mould and filled the impression with mixture of shredded/chopped paper and cement - same for the mushroom.
I built up the underside of lizard with netting and glue/render to give it support. Then mosaiced the lizard with found objects: screws, chain, beer glass, studs for eyes and eyeballs of glass beading, porcelain etc. Present for my son-in-law - he wanted a lizard on a rock - seeing as we had to fly to catch up for Xmas, I had to make it light! Mushroom for my daughter! Right hand photo are the collection of mushrooms at home! Happy New Year to all!

This message was edited Jan 1, 2013 6:03 PM

Thumbnail by biddy52   Thumbnail by biddy52   Thumbnail by biddy52      

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 2, 2013
7:21 AM

Post #9373047

Wonderful work. You made my day. Thanks for posting. kb

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 7, 2013
6:28 PM

Post #9378647

I've made cement molds out of wood and also used styrofoam for making "inserts". I used packing tape to wrap pieces. It works good, helps keep the styrofoam from breaking and is non-stick. It also holds up pretty good so you don't have to re-wrap every time you use the mold.
You've done some nice things here.
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 15, 2013
2:20 PM

Post #9386295

Domehomedee wrote:I've made cement molds out of wood and also used styrofoam for making "inserts". I used packing tape to wrap pieces. It works good, helps keep the styrofoam from breaking and is non-stick. It also holds up pretty good so you don't have to re-wrap every time you use the mold.
You've done some nice things here.

Post #9378647

Thank you Domehomedee! That has given me a great idea - as down the road someone has dumped a huge bag of styrofoam pieces!

Regards,

Di
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

January 15, 2013
2:42 PM

Post #9386326

You could also build something out of the foam and then cover it with concrete or tufa. I was thinking on something like an easy chair or sofa/bench. Or a block table which you could then mosaic. I found some foam pieces wrapped in a wire cage and have been thinking of things I could shape and then cover. katie

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
2:44 PM

Post #9386328

This is a lousy picture but you can still see the insets made from the styrofoam inserts.
This was my first tufa project, LOL, they've gotten smaller from here.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wannadanc
Olympia, WA

January 18, 2013
6:00 AM

Post #9388959

I had great fun - starting with chunks of styrofoam, enclosing it in a huge trash bag, putting chicken wire all around - and then starting the application of hypertufa on the outer surface. I assembled this using a wheelbarrow as the creation platform, and turned it when the uppermost surface had cured. What was the end product??? A huge boulder which now sits on the ground at the entrance to my driveway. The wheelbarrow allowed for a much easier movement. That was nearly 10 years ago. The boulder is doing just fine, and has started to attain a gentle moss covering!!!
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

January 25, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9397398

wannadanc wrote:I had great fun - starting with chunks of styrofoam, enclosing it in a huge trash bag, putting chicken wire all around - and then starting the application of hypertufa on the outer surface. I assembled this using a wheelbarrow as the creation platform, and turned it when the uppermost surface had cured. What was the end product??? A huge boulder which now sits on the ground at the entrance to my driveway. The wheelbarrow allowed for a much easier movement. That was nearly 10 years ago. The boulder is doing just fine, and has started to attain a gentle moss covering!!!

Post #9388959

Would love to see a photo of that? How clever of you. I have been shown by a Mosaic Artist how to prepare styrofoam with layers of mesh, wire and then it could be mosaiced - but hadn't thought of doing the hypertufa on that!

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 28, 2013
4:20 AM

Post #9399795

Pretty impressive first hypertufa project Dee, and Liatris;...your big block planter is really nice!
wannadanc
Olympia, WA

February 28, 2013
3:32 PM

Post #9434834

These photos are of the hypertufa big rock that I created. I will need to take a current photo sometime, so that you can see how it has "aged".

The armature began with large styrofoam pieces inserted into black plastic bag.
That was then wrapped with chicken wire, and was set in a wheel barrow.
Hypertufa was applied, allowing some curing before adding more.
The wheelbarrow then made the moving of the "rock" to the final location so much easier.

This message was edited Mar 1, 2013 12:36 AM

Thumbnail by wannadanc   Thumbnail by wannadanc   Thumbnail by wannadanc      

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

February 28, 2013
3:45 PM

Post #9434846

A really fun project and thank you for sharing the plans Wanna... Looks great!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America