Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Mystery Squash: Is it zucchini? Could it be loofah?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 5, Views: 62
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
finnbee
Duluth, MN

August 20, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9247437

I live in Minnesota and have grown squash for years. This year, I planted some Loofah squash, which I'm not sure can even mature in our climate!, aways away from the other squash.
Now, I have two bushes, like zucchini bushes - one central axis - of squash that look like long, immature pumpkins. They taste sweeter than zucchini. I vaguely recall buying something other than "black beauty" zucc seed, but I have no idea what this is. Inside, it almost looks like it could be loofah - which I have never grown before and am not familiar with, other than I thought Loofah grew on a vine... I think both are edible.
Could I have a cross? Is it loofah? Is it something else? A different variety of zucchini?
Both are fibrous and seedy inside, the Mystery squash moreso. The normal Zucchini has a little more 'flesh'.
Help!
*Squashes: Zucchini, top. Mystery squash, bottom.
*Cross sections: Mystery squash, left. Zucchini, right.
*Single shot: the mystery squash, interior

Thumbnail by finnbee   Thumbnail by finnbee   Thumbnail by finnbee
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
7:46 AM

Post #9247489

Loofa is a gourd and does grow on a rather vigorous vine. As a vegetable it used as an okra substitute not squash.
finnbee
Duluth, MN

August 20, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9248264

So you're saying that my squash is likely a squash, not a loofah of any sort --
I have heard that Loofah is edible; also the relationship to Okra. Does Loofah, green, look ANYTHING like this? Thanks!
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9248301

Loofa is a colloquial North American name used for sponge gourds. Two different species are placed under the same name. Luffa acutangular ( ridge gourd, Chinese okra ...) and Luffa cylindrica (Dishrag gourd, vine okra...) Many varieties within each species. http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_nf=1&cp=9&gs_id=z&xhr=t&q=sponge+gourd&pf=p&sclient=psy-ab&oq=sponge+go&gs_l=&pbx=1&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&fp=741fc30bee1418ea&biw=1440&bih=785

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
5:33 AM

Post #9251984

The luffa acutangula I grew had leaves like dinner platters and they had fruits that were edible about the 8" length but better at 12", it looks like you had a dry stunted zuke, not a luffa, cukes get that pithy inside when not watered enough and not gathered til overripe.
lindasch100
Chino Valley, AZ

September 1, 2012
9:32 AM

Post #9261439

I have some squash that look exactly like yours. I planted one zuchinni, several spaghetti squash. It turns out that among my spaghetti squash was a pumpkin seedling. And they all cross pollinated! Now I have quite a variety, including some that look like yours. I am going to take a picture of all of them and post in the next few days.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America