Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Cacti and Succulents: Anyone know what this is?

Communities > Forums > Cacti and Succulents
bookmark
Forum: Cacti and SucculentsReplies: 6, Views: 118
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9247490

I just got an awesome order from Glasshouse Works and as they often do, they packed in some extra bonus plants. One isn't labeled, though. Does anyone have any idea what it is? The stem is very succulent looking. The leaves and flowers and stem are all the same shade of green, though it's a little bleached out from shipping (and shooting the picture in the sun). Any ideas?

Thanks all, as usual, for helping me with this one!

Thumbnail by MaryEv   Thumbnail by MaryEv
Click an image for an enlarged view.

plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9247634

It is definitley a dorstenia and possibly a D. hildebrandtii, They get a nice fat stem but those flowers shoot seeds everywhere which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it :) Here is a recent picture of mine

Thumbnail by plexippus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9247743

I think you're right. It looks like Glasshouse Works' pictures of Dorstenia carnulosa (a synonym of Dorstenia hildebrandtii v carnulosa according to Plantfiles).

How much light and water do you give yours?

This is a new Genus for me, I'm pretty excited. Yours is wonderful! I hope I can grow mine as well as you have. :)

Thank you!
plexippus
Chicago Suburbs, IL
(Zone 5b)

August 20, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9248462

Under my growing conditions they take more water than most of my other succulents. Right now they are outdoors and they get watered when it rains and I give them supplemental water if I see shriveling of the stem. I keep mine in predominantly dappled light but they do get about an hour of more direct light in the morning and they seem happy with this.We did have a hot dry spell recently and they dropped their leaves but it has been cooler and wetter and new leaves are starting to grow. Last winter they were kept under lights and watered about every week or two but my potting mix doesn't retain much water. They seem very low maintenance which is my favorite kind of plant :)
MaryEv
Cincinnati, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9248704

Thank you! It will be fun to see what this very tall branch does :) It doesn't have very good roots, so I'll need to be extra careful for a little while.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

August 21, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9249549

What a nice fat plant plexippus!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9252478

Hi there, that's a nice little dorstenia.
I have mine outside in the shade this time of year, and then in the house most of the year.
My best suggestion for dorstenia is use really well draining soil as the roots rot oh so easy. I have mine in almost straight pumice and the only signs of stress it ever shows it dropping a leaf or two.
Dee

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America