Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Anyone know what this is?

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I just got an awesome order from Glasshouse Works and as they often do, they packed in some extra bonus plants. One isn't labeled, though. Does anyone have any idea what it is? The stem is very succulent looking. The leaves and flowers and stem are all the same shade of green, though it's a little bleached out from shipping (and shooting the picture in the sun). Any ideas?

Thanks all, as usual, for helping me with this one!

Thumbnail by MaryEv Thumbnail by MaryEv
Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

It is definitley a dorstenia and possibly a D. hildebrandtii, They get a nice fat stem but those flowers shoot seeds everywhere which is a good thing or a bad thing depending on how you look at it :) Here is a recent picture of mine

Thumbnail by plexippus
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

I think you're right. It looks like Glasshouse Works' pictures of Dorstenia carnulosa (a synonym of Dorstenia hildebrandtii v carnulosa according to Plantfiles).

How much light and water do you give yours?

This is a new Genus for me, I'm pretty excited. Yours is wonderful! I hope I can grow mine as well as you have. :)

Thank you!

Chicago Suburbs, IL(Zone 5b)

Under my growing conditions they take more water than most of my other succulents. Right now they are outdoors and they get watered when it rains and I give them supplemental water if I see shriveling of the stem. I keep mine in predominantly dappled light but they do get about an hour of more direct light in the morning and they seem happy with this.We did have a hot dry spell recently and they dropped their leaves but it has been cooler and wetter and new leaves are starting to grow. Last winter they were kept under lights and watered about every week or two but my potting mix doesn't retain much water. They seem very low maintenance which is my favorite kind of plant :)

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6a)

Thank you! It will be fun to see what this very tall branch does :) It doesn't have very good roots, so I'll need to be extra careful for a little while.

Decatur, GA

What a nice fat plant plexippus!

Arroyo Grande, CA(Zone 9a)

Hi there, that's a nice little dorstenia.
I have mine outside in the shade this time of year, and then in the house most of the year.
My best suggestion for dorstenia is use really well draining soil as the roots rot oh so easy. I have mine in almost straight pumice and the only signs of stress it ever shows it dropping a leaf or two.
Dee

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.