Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Lacecap v. mophead hydeangeas

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 6, Views: 39
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
bluntforcemama
Bothell, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
9:37 AM

Post #9247631

I bought a mophead Hydrangea last year and it was lovely. This year, it looks like a lace cap. What gives? I realize they are basically identical except for the sterility of the flowers, but I would have preferred a mophead. Am I not fertilizing enough? Do I need fewer bees hanging around?
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9247732

Can you post some pictures from last year & this year? Mopheads won't turn into lacecaps (and vice versa) regardless of how you care for them.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 20, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9247832

Both these plants belong to the same family as you know but they wont turn into other types of Hydrangea as stated above so I would suggest that there are other reasons for the changes and it could be weather conditions like sun, shade, cooler days, lack of water etc, etc, etc.
I grow several different Hydrangea's as I like the colours, the openness of the shrubs and also the spread in width as I have a large garden.
Sometimes I have to look closer to the Mop heads as the flowers as they open look a bit looser in form than they should but as the day's go on and more flowers open, they look normal again and the Lacecap look like old ladies bonnets that used to be worn when the lady was doing her cleaning chores, they also can varry in structure as they begin to open but they always right their appearance and get larger flowers as the years go by.

I like to prune my Hydrangea's early spring once I see the first leaf buds appear, I cut back to about 12-18 inches from ground and add a handful of multi purpose plant feed and a top dressing of compost, this gives the plants a feed to get them through the year and also helps give the foliage a boost which helps them fight bugs etc.
Hope this helps you out and you can worry less sbout your lovely Hydrangea's.
Good Luck, WeeNel.
bluntforcemama
Bothell, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9248025

Weenel, THANK YOU!

At first I suspected too much sun, but the leaves aren't burning. We have had a very cool summer, never reaching much above 70. I did buy some garden lime and plan to work it into the soil this fall (hoping that works). I'll so some more research and see about possibly replacing the hydrangea or moving it if it does this again next year. I will take photos as well, for reference.

Again, thank you!
bluntforcemama
Bothell, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9248053

The first photo is what it looked like last year (though this is a bloom from this year). The second is what the bush is looking like this year.

Thumbnail by bluntforcemama   Thumbnail by bluntforcemama
Click an image for an enlarged view.

ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9248165

I think your plant is a lacecap and you're just seeing variability in the amount of fertile vs sterile florets. As far as why the blooms aren't as full this year, it could just be that it's still working a bit on root development (most of my hydrangeas don't bloom really well for the first couple years they're planted...chances are when you bought it last year it already had set buds for the year and bloomed nicely, but this year was a bit slower year). Fertilizing might also help it to bloom better. The other possibility is I've noticed that hydrangeas that have been treated with growth inhibitors by the growers can sometimes have more impressive looking blooms the year you buy them, then the following year they look more like their "normal" appearance. I've found this to be especially prevalent with hydrangeas bought from the floral section of grocery stores, Home Depot, etc. But then again maybe if I fertilized mine a bit more in subsequent years they'd look more like the first year.

Your plant doesn't look unhappy, and since it's blooming and doesn't seem to be burning in the sun I probably wouldn't move it unless you really don't like it in that spot.
bluntforcemama
Bothell, WA
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9248379

GAH! Darn it all. Well, I'll keep it and see how it flourishes for the next couple of years. Thanks for your advice (and yes I did get it at Home Depot). Perhaps they mislabeled it, too. I also bought a couple more for the backyard, and I'll see what strange transformation they perform next year. Thanks!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America