Photo by Melody

Voting Booth: What is your least favorite garden chore?

Communities > Forums > Voting Booth
bookmark
Forum: Voting BoothReplies: 51, Views: 424
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
admin

(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9247650

There are a total of 122 votes:

Weeding
(63 votes, 51%)
Red dot

Deadheading flowers
(6 votes, 4%)
Red dot

Pruning trees and shrubs
(7 votes, 5%)
Red dot

Turning the compost pile
(8 votes, 6%)
Red dot

Raking leaves
(11 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Removing dead plants
(12 votes, 9%)
Red dot

Other (Tell us!)
(15 votes, 12%)
Red dot

Previous Polls

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 20, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9247748

i voted other because there really is no aspect of gardening that i dislike. i love hand weeding but if i had to pick, spraying round-up is my least favorite thing (but a necessity every once in a while).
i have no leaves to rake, no compost to turn. deadheading is easy for me...removing a plant, whether alive or dead, just means another new plant to take its place!
:-)
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9247774

I agree with Tracks, I like them all. I voted pruning because I am always so unsure of what I am doing, and it is often difficult for me to reach everything. I enjoy picking weeds, deadheading can be tiresome but gives instant gratification, my husband turns the compost with his tractor, and I'm always switching out plants (dead or alive). Perhaps I should have voted other, because picking up my weeded weeds is actually something I am really poor at.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
11:56 AM

Post #9247837

Due to a spinal injury many aspects of gardening I don't like, but I do them because I love the look of a nice garden and I am converting everything into containers because it will make it easier on me. I just can't get down on the ground and up again without someone to help me.
Regality
Concord, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 20, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9247914

Marti 001, I empathize with your problems. Been there, done that. BTW, your profile says that you're in zone 6b, but I think Ventura is more like 9b.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 20, 2012
1:36 PM

Post #9247938

The drought has changed the enviornment enough that I am seeing entirely different weeds. There are some things growing in my front yard I have never seen since I bought my house in 1989. Some strange flat weed that is VERY prickly with little round balls that HURT! I get rid of those as fast as I find them... we also have foxtails now... I hate those.. they get in the dogs hair and are nightmares. They grow in the front yard and I just found some in the back yard... NO WAY am I letting them take hold in the back... and what in the world are these teeny tiny morning glory looking vines growing everywhere????? They are coming up in the flowerbeds.. they yard... everywhere imagineable... and I did not plant them... itty bitty flowers... they grow even where the weeds are struggling...

The drought even has the weeds compteing to try to grow.. that is the only good thing about it!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9247982

Lhasa, bindweed??? http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/WEEDS/field_bindweed.html

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9248026

I checked OTHER. My least favorite thing is trying to decide what plant to put where. I love weeding, it's my Zen for the day.
marti001
Somerset, KY
(Zone 6b)

August 20, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9248038

I'm trying to remember how to change my location. I am now in Somerset, KY. My DIL in Ventura did not like the idea that her son would obey me and not her so she threw me out. So I came home to KY. AND my yard is a mess. It will take me the next year to get it back in order.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9248042

GO to My Info at the top of the page. then to Manage Your Preferences. When you get there, on the side will be a list of things under Preferences. Your Location is there.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 20, 2012
10:36 PM

Post #9248516

I voted dead plants.,particularly because of they way this year has been. Hot ,Dry ,and not so good till about now for me anyway.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
4:37 AM

Post #9248592

I voted dead plants too. But it is just because I hate to give up on them ~ lol
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9248890

I voted "Other" because my least favorite job is coming up sometime in Autumn. I have to completely dig out a "mostly clay" bed to remove all the Daffodils that have gotten very crowded. I'll also have to remove all the perennials from the same bed since most of them grow above the daffodils.

It's clay soil plus lots of ammendments, but it's still quite hard, so I think I'm going to replace most of it with topsoil and mix compost and other ammendments into that. It's a job I should have tackled last year and put off. Timing is also a problem because some of the perennials keep blooming until late Autumn.

I'm also going to move the daffodils to their own bed somewhere else because the dying foliage covers many of the perennial blooms. It lasts so long that some of the blooming is finished by the time I can remove the "eternal" daffodil foliage.

Don't get me wrong...I Love, Love, Love daffodils! I've just reached a point where I really don't love an entire bed of dying foliage crowding out my perennial blooms. Anyways, I'm definitely not looking forward to it!
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:06 PM

Post #9249356

Turning the compost pile. None other were even close. Of course the fact that I haven't turned it in 2 years could have something to do with it...
Barb

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 21, 2012
4:29 PM

Post #9249385

rof
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 21, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9249490

Nuts, I experimented with cutting the daff foliage down when it flops (cut one bed, left the other to die off, same conditions). Did not see much, if any, difference the following year. I cut it down to about 4-6 inches which was quickly covered up by the companion plants. I know this flies in the face of most garden books, but you might give that a whirl.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
6:41 PM

Post #9249494

flow.. thats it! bindweed! The flowers on the stuff here are more pink and a pain in the tail! This stuff is horrible.. it grows a network of roots and spreads underground... it is something new here. I have lived here all my life... well, since the early 70's and this just showed up about 2 years ago in my front yard. I started pulling it constantly and it has been a monster of a fight. It grows faster than I can pull it.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
6:51 PM

Post #9249500

It would truthfully take me too long , so it just sounds better to say the blooms and vegies and fruit is all I really like ,so I garden?
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
7:38 PM

Post #9249548

Bonehead - It's funny that you should mention that because I get tired of waiting every year and usually remove the foliage way before it's ready. It hasn't seemed to hurt my daffodils, either. I also have a bunch of the large-size Crocus planted around a tree in my front yard. When the grass grows enough in Spring that we need to start mowing, the Crocus foliage gets mowed with it. It's never hurt them either. In fact they multiply every year.

I understand the theory behind keeping the foliage to nourish the bulbs, but I'm not so sure it's as important as the gardening "experts" would have you believe. I usually trim the foliage just a little at first, rather than pulling it out entirely, but I like your idea of trimming it down fairly low.
cando1
Ozone, AR
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
11:31 PM

Post #9249669

My solution was to plant Daylillys among my spring bulbs. They send up green leaves about the same time the spring folage is dieing.
Vickie

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 22, 2012
12:55 AM

Post #9249684

I have so many oak trees...so raking leaves is the number one on my list. First the turkey oaks, then the laurel and last are those tiny live oak leaves. It is a good three months of leaf raking, and cleaning gutters out. Trimming trees is a close second...it can involve using a chainsaw at times. ☺

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9249738

i'd kill for leaves...i'm sick of buying mulch!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9249835

cando, I did the same thing, the early blooming daylilies hiding the dying bulbs foliage perfectly

JuJu55

JuJu55
Jasper Co., MO
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
7:01 AM

Post #9249846

Raking up the leaves then into compost pile in trash bin...

HoneybeeNC

HoneybeeNC
Charlotte, NC
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9249852

I voted "other" because to me gardening is not a chore. It's the triple digit temperatures that have kept me out of the garden the past two years!

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 22, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9249910

I'm with you, Honeybee. Gardening is a pleasure.

sunkissed

sunkissed
Winter Springs, FL
(Zone 9b)

August 23, 2012
4:16 AM

Post #9250872

I'd be glad to share my bags and bags of leaves with anyone that wants them for mulch, I sure can't use it all, you wouldn't see my plants if I piled it all in the garden, and only so much room in my compost bin. Cleaning gutters isn't gardening, it is a chore...hands down...and has to be done all year around here. Problem here is our soil is sand, which comes up with the leaves and has to be sifted before putting in the bags...or you have heavy bags full of sand. I wish we were aloud to burn leaves, would sure be easier.

I honestly don't mind pulling weeds, dead-heading, or light trimming, kind of an ongoing thing every day as I walk around my garden. My fiskars pruner is always in my hand. ☺
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
10:22 AM

Post #9251240

I don't mind pulling weeds--but by the third time I am pulling the same garden area-I get a little tired of it. When I pull weeds, I put my trowel, round up, nut grass spray, garden scissors, and pruners in a bucket. Then, if I come across something that needs attention, I have everything handy. I only use Round Up if I can't get the weed pulled from its roots. For me, nut grass has to be sprayed.
I put turning the compost. I simply don't have the strength to do it.

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9251321

there are ways to make a compost bin so that turning is not necessary. who knew?
i don't know how to scan this large enough to read but it is basically a wooden pallet surrounded by wire fencing with a large PVC pipe in the middle. you cut holes all around the pipe up and down and this allows the compost to breath.

Thumbnail by trackinsand
Click the image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9251617

Trackinsand, that's a pretty cool idea. You should post it in the Soil and Compost forum. You could probably do something very similar with just about any type of compost pile or bin.

I was able to read it okay, but it was even better when I zoomed the page larger. With Internet Explorer, on the tool bar, I just clicked on "Page" and used the zoom feature.

I've also read that if you put a few branches between some of the layers in your pile or bin it helps to create air pockets in the compost so I've been trying that for a while. It makes it harder to turn the pile, though, so I haven't been turning it as often. I'll see how it works.

edited to fix my typo

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 7:20 PM

trackinsand

trackinsand
mid central, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9251622

thank you. i will do that. i think you can drag it to photos and then print it too (on a mac for sure).

oh, thought i better give credit to Sunset Garden Book of Pests & Diseases for the article and picture.

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 8:13 PM

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 24, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9252024

i voted "other"...squishing ants, aphids, and parasitic wasps (they kill the caterpillars in my butterfly garden).
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9252161

I voted "other": Trying to eradicate the evil Houttuynia cordata 'Chameleon'. Last summer through fall I spent 8 to 12 hour days digging it out of two fields where daylilies previously grew. Each daylily was potted up and will never be planted again for fear of spreading any errant pieces left in with the soil around the daylilies. We covered both fields with black plastic in November and December. Now it appears all Houttuynia is gone but it has wandered into two other gardens and the lawn, probably prior to the great black plastic experiment.

This photo, taken 11/7/11, shows just a small section of the problem area (before being covered with the black plastic to solarize the soil and kill the roots) as well as a portion of the lawn I had to dig out to get the portion that invaded the lawn in just this area but there is much more to it. Regardless of how deeply I dug it has returned in this area.

In the past I've tried dipping each leaf in straight (undiluted) Round Up and though it killed the above ground growth, it didn't have any effect on the roots. Undiluted Weed B Gon (why can't they spell these products correctly?) had some effect on the leaves but I'm not sure about the roots. My latest experiment is with undiluted Brush B Gon and, once again, the leaves look (mostly) dead but only time will tell if the roots are dead.

Thumbnail by pirl

bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9252180

Pirl, what a horror story. I have a hosta bed with houttuynia (had to copy your spelling, I refer to it at hootenanny) as a ground cover. I found I don't like the smell of it and have been randomly pulling it out. I have not made any effort at all-out war on it, doesn't sound worth the effort if it is that tenacious. It hasn't spread to the surrounding lawn, nor adversely affected the plants in the bed, so I think I will just tolerate its stinkiness and enjoy its color.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9252187

The only guarantee you have with the Houtt. is that it will spread and will invade the lawn and will have you crazed. I even tried the torch on it but it only gets rid of what's above ground, not the horrid roots. The stink/stench of it should be a warning that it is not a desirable plant even though it certainly is beautiful.
nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9252245

Ugh!! I better head on over to PlantFiles and see what that horrid plant looks like!!

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 12:32 PM
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9252258

They are the very pretty variegated colorful leaves that are predominant at the lower left in this photo.

Thumbnail by pirl

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9252282

In the pic it looks similar (except for the red color) to the Variegated Bishop's Weed (don't remember the formal name) that was here when we moved in. There was an entire bed of it in the shade. I didn't know what it was, but it seemed attractive enough except that the leaves would get burnt-looking about mid-season.

When I started planting other things in that bed it was kind of a bully so I started removing it a little at a time. We were lucky as it never showed up in the grass or anywhere else. I finally took it to a nursery and was told what it was and how invasive it was so I started researching it.

Little-by-little I removed it, but if I don't stay on top of it it still pops up here and there in that bed, but fortunately no where else. One of my next door neighbors has some growing that she dug up from her Mother's garden. I told her it was invasive, but she was unfazed and continues to let it grow.
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9252291

So does my daughter and it doesn't bother her at all. We've had it in three gardens and through constant RU applications I did get rid of it. BTW, it's Aegopodium.

Thumbnail by pirl   Thumbnail by pirl         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9252337

Thanks for the name, pirl! I remembered it started with an "A", but was too lazy to look it up.

Okay, everyone, sorry if we got off track here, but it's so easy to do when you start talking plants with other plant lovers...or birds, or wildlife or bugs, or...

Back to the Voting...

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
12:45 PM

Post #9252343

I had to ..excuse - Only is that because we are all nutsaboutnature?lol
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 24, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9252353

I voted other for watering. I can get lost in my thoughts and forget the whole world around me while watering and taking in the loveliness of my many plants. I know that having a nice cooperating hose makes this chore a lot more pleasant. There is nothing worse than a kinking hose, that takes all the joy of out it. I enjoy most aspects of gardening actually, but watering is my favorite.

Ruby

nutsaboutnature
Algonquin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9252373

Ha..Ha..Ha...ohhhh juhur7...that's a real groaner!...(but I like it)

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 3:42 PM
Lindakw
Sugar Land, TX

August 25, 2012
11:55 AM

Post #9253321

I voted for pruning because it is painful for me due to severe arthritis in my hands. However, if not for the pain there would be nothing that I dislike about gardening! Just being outside with my hands in the dirt brings so much pleasure.
Katbrid
Rockford, IL

August 25, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9253800

Other: hate winding up the water hose after watering! Just want to leave it sprawled out but it looks bad. Soooooo, I use self-discipline (most days) and wind it up.

I love the looks of my "Hooty" plant but this is the first year I have had it. It does seem to be growing strong. Haven't noticed a smell. Your bad experiences with it have raised my anxiety for next year.

I have heard the common name for the Aegopodium as Snow on the Mountain, and I know it is a bugger to get rid of it!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
9:30 PM

Post #9253891

Other- I hate to leave my garden untended and behind, don't mind the chores and the weeds are growing on top of other weeds, so, one pushes the other out, but there's always a new one in line

mrs_colla

mrs_colla
Marin, CA
(Zone 9b)

August 25, 2012
11:03 PM

Post #9253906

I hate going around to collect snails. I feed them to the neighbour's chickens, because they eat everything in my veggie garden!
pirl
(Arlene) Southold, NY
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
5:49 AM

Post #9254076

Katbrid - I dislike the hose routine, too. Sometimes I just bring the hose back near the faucet and twirl it into 2' loops. Fighting with hoses seems insane, doesn't it?

Aegopodium was far easier for me to eliminate than the dreaded Houtt. The Houtt. will remain my lifelong battle.

joeswife

joeswife
(Debra) Derby, KS
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9254186

I love doing it all except turning the huge room sized compost pile in the alley, everyone donates to it, at my invite, so I have a 14 yr old boy come and do the stuff I don't like to do. He says it works cuz he spreads 4 to 5 wagons of compost around the Gardens ( hard red clay) and even tho we are in a draught and heat, I have a very lush and colorful back yard.
don't have many weeds, lots of invading burmuda grass tho, hubby prunes shrubs and trees for me, so I am a lucky Gal here in Kansas.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 26, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9254205

I see a day later that I read the question wrong and thought it said what is your favorite gardening chore...my so very bad!!! Anyway...to answer correctly this time, I would say my most hated thing is to see weeds taking over and not having time or the energy to work on them. That is a really a pet peeve for sure. I am right there with the person who stated that the heat of the last few summers has really put a hurtin' on my ability to be out and keeping up with garden maintenance. I do not do heat well at all.

Interesting to hear what everyone is saying.

Ruby
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
6:08 AM

Post #9255173

I hate to get behind and have to do a LOT of weeding. Picking a few here and there doesn't bother me, but when I have let it get away from me and I have a whole big bed to tackle, I am a procrastinator. Ruby, if it's hot and dry, the weeds win and I have to wait until it's cooler until I tackle them. The other thing would be trying to get rid of squash bugs. I love squash, but once they get a start, they seem impossible to control.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 27, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9255527

After several years of vegetable gardening, we are pretty much back to where we started some years ago and that is planting only potatoes. After fighting weather and pests, we wonder if it is worth it. The answer for us must be no...it hasn't been worth it. We are very fortunate to live in an area with lots of farms that grow and sell produce, so it is quite easy to stop by a road side stand and buy fresh veggies.

Hope you find a remedy for the squash bugs outsideplaying. They are difficult to deal with for sure.

Ruby

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Voting Booth Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Type of lawn mower? dave 62 Nov 12, 2009 10:40 PM
Do you make compost? dave 52 Feb 22, 2010 8:05 PM
What's your one must-have gardening item? dave 195 Apr 6, 2012 2:46 PM
Botany Quiz: Monocarpic means dave 36 Sep 23, 2012 2:09 AM
How did you find out about DG? dave 150 Sep 30, 2014 3:18 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America