Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Gardening Questions: Basil: How do I get larger leaves?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
grapeleaves
Pleasant Hill, CA

August 20, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9247662

My basil has gotten a bit woody, and the leaves are a little too thick and the flavor a bit bitter. I just read the article about pinching back basil so I know to do that more vigorously now, but it seems like my basil produces flowers so fast that if I pinched it back often, it wouldn't give time for the leaves to get large. How can I grow my basil to produce long, soft stems with large leaves like you see in the grocery store or farmers market? (potentially dangerous comparison, haha)
birke
Broward County, FL
(Zone 10b)

August 20, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9247723

Start new ones ;-) and try cut back the old one and give some fish emulsion.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 20, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9247916

Most herbs turn woody IF left to grow too tall or old, the best way to prevent this from happening is when the plants are still very young, you have to keep pinching out the growing tips from each stem unless you are constantly picking the leaves / stems for cooking.
In the summer months it is really there growing season and they can put on a lot of growth and want to make flowers so they can scatter their seeds for the next generation of plants, well that's what they do in the wild, in the garden or pot's that we grow, we continue to keep nipping out the growing tips and flower buds if any, I would restart new plants off if I were you as the flavours will be too acrid to use in flavouring your food dishes.
Good Luck. WeeNel.
purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

August 20, 2012
1:49 PM

Post #9247962

Yes, I'm constantly taking cuttings and planting new basil (which usually makes roots within a week) because we only eat the tiny, most tender leaves. The flower buds are delicious too. Anything bigger than a quarter gets composted. When you strip the larger leaves from lower on the stem, new branches are much more likely to grow at those nodes.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America