Photo by Melody

Bromeliads: Needing assistance with Bromeliad maintenance...

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 8, Views: 162
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
11:12 AM

Post #9247772

Earlier this year I purchased a Billbergia pyramidalis Kyoto. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/63839/

It was two plants potted together. I realize that one was apparently the mother plant and is now dying.

The younger plant has grown large and is beautiful. I would love to separate them but don't want to damage the pretty one.

Can anyone give me some pointers on the best way and best time to do that or should I leave them alone and let the one die off?
Kristi

Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster
Click an image for an enlarged view.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 20, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9247985

You can easily remove the nice looking pup if you wish, either with a sharp knife or by breaking it free. There are youtube videos http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBNDTmOzQTY on how to to this that are better at explaining it than I could. If the plant were mine I would leave the large pup attached,cut off the foliage of the old plant to improve the looks and hope for more pups. This way you don't have the old mama plant hanging around looking lousy while you await more pups.
Normally, were the plant mine, I would have removed the pup earlier and put mama with the group of old moms that every brom collector has.
Hope this makes sense the way I have explained it, not one of my better attempts to communicate.
Scott
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 20, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9248382

Yes, thank you. That makes sense.

I'm new to bromeliads but when the plant began to decline, I realized it was indeed the mother.

It is looking terrible now and I wondered if it will deliver any more pups.
Will it actually produce more with the foliage removed? Kristi

floridabunnie
Cape Coral, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 27, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9255383

Hi Scott -

thanks for sharing the video. It's funny how on this site I always learn something new. Great idea to keep the mothers aside to continue to produce pups. I guess I didn't think they would continue to produce!
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 28, 2012
8:38 PM

Post #9289472

Well, it is time for an update. I did not separate the two plants.

A week ago I moved the bromeliads into the greenhouse to acclimate them for winter.

This plant was accidently handled roughly while relocating it.

The second day in the GH, I noticed a tiny pup forming.

At this point, I put up the shade cloth to keep the broms from sunburning.

Tonight, six days after moving them into their winter home, I found a bud forming.

I think (to improve the overall appearance) I will simply cut off the leaves of the dying plant.

Any thoughts if that will harm it?

Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

digital_dave
Springfield, MO
(Zone 6a)

October 7, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9299114

While we often think of the mother plant as "dying," it's just this branch of the plant that has changed from a vegetative growing point to a blooming point. The growing point actually inhibits the buds (down in the lower leaf axils) from breaking. After blooming, these buds are able to grow and they form the offsets (pups).Unless the old plants' leaves are constricting or shading the pup, or they are drying or rotting, I would leave them on to hopefully produce more pups. More leaves = more growth = more pups (since any new growth has to come from the old buds). Of course these buds aren't viable forever and the plant has put a lot of its energy into blooming. Dave
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 7, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9299133

Thank you Dave... that makes sense to leave the foliage. I did notice the new pup is growing on the younger of the two plants and fairly high above the planted level.

I am astounded at how quickly this bloom has developed. Here's hoping it will last a long time so I can enjoy it through the winter months ahead.

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

hawaiishannon
Holualoa, HI

December 24, 2012
3:48 AM

Post #9365831

That particular flower will not last, sorry, it is one of the few that do not and will not make a good cut flower due to the fact it is so short lived.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 24, 2012
5:19 AM

Post #9365884

[quote="hawaiishannon"]That particular flower will not last, sorry, it is one of the few that do not and will not make a good cut flower due to the fact it is so short lived.[/quote]

Thank you ~ I saw how fast it failed and because it was developing a pup, I decided to cut the blossom.
I had read that if not allowed to bloom, it would devote more attention to growing pups. Only one so far...

Thumbnail by podster
Click the image for an enlarged view.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America