AuthorContent

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9248096

Hello Puppy People, we are here to listen to all your stories about your little darlings. Join in and if we can give you any advice we will, but it might not be the correct information so we will tell you now...we are not responsible for anything said on this thread.
In fact, we suggest if you call your vet or animal professionals if you have a serious problem. This thread started because several of us had puppies at the same time and we were sharing our frustrations, chewed furniture, potty training, you know, all those neat puppy predicaments. We came from here:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246347/

WELCOME AND ENJOY OUR CHATTER. Keep it clean gang, well as clean as possible.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

August 20, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9248110

Here we go again...this is a picture of what I use on Charle before each bath and in between if he seems to be feeling like his coat is getting heavier. It is called a FURMINATOR...got it at Doctors Foster and Smith online.

You are thinking what I was thinking about that horse comb...we used something like that after we bathed ours too except it was straight like a piece of metal. The round one was like a curry comb.

I comb Charle each night before bed. He gets his eyes cleaned, his teach brushed and his ears cleaned out also. Every darn night. I can not tolerate a scruffy looking dog even on the farm. Sometimes during the day I look at him and I can not believe he belongs to me. God he gets messy quickly. He has a blast but he needs that brushing at night believe me. LOL

OK gang, you have your new thread, fill it up and have fun. Show some pictures and by the way I love that little doxie. Real cutie he is. Off to brush Sir Charles. Doggie Hugs to all Charle's friends on this thread.

Thumbnail by JBerger

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 20, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9248326

My pooches wouldn't think they were human if they couldn't get scruffy.
I have to teach the two new ones that the cat , Smut , belongs to me .
The JRT will eat anything you offer her . Tonight it was raw carrots . I know they are good for her teeth . When I first got her , her old daddy brought me some green beans and set them on the porch while we visited . Sheba , the JRT kept stealing them and eating them . She likes corn on the cob , beans , cooked collards and other cooked greens . My dogs eat those too . She loves watermelon and cantaloupe . I haven't found anything she won't eat . I had a pooch years ago that loved the grapefruit that you left in the rind when finished eating .
Have any of you got a pooch with strange tastes ?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
6:49 PM

Post #9248338

Thanks JB. I know what it is like to have dial up. I know Evelyn still has it. Don't know if she is on this thread or not. But, that's cool anyway.

That Furminator looks kind of like the other thing Bob got out of the bag we keep all the tools in. But, he was so impressed with the shedder blade I think he will use that. I was outside and there was a big pile of hair out there. Good for the little chipmunks, birds, etc. for their nests this winter. The squirrels and chippers love it. They'll clean it up fast.

ttyl, jen
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 20, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9248354

LOL, Sally, reminds me of our Golden that loved oysters. We were on the beach one day and the laws are that you shuck them and leave the shells on the beach so the oyster spat has something to attach to. We were walking along shucking some as we walked, and she was eating that little muscle you cut and some is left on the shell. And all of a sudden we heard this yelling and screaming and looked down the beach and here was that dog eating out of the bucket some people were putting their clean oysters into.

Guess we weren't cleaning them fast enough for her, or the small muscle left in the shell wasn't enough. Was terribly embarrassed.

One other time we took her fishing in February and it was so icy we were wearing snowmobile suits it was that cold. But we had her with us and we heard a guy yelling and he had caught a White fish and released it. The dog was going after it in the water. He was yelling at her to leave it alone. She would come out of the water with ice cicles hanging from her. She loved that.

Dogs are weird. They do love all those fresh, raw vegetables. I have a bag of dehydrated sweet potatoes here and Candy loves them too.

ttyl, jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 20, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9248424

I'd fight her for the raw oysters . Where we are in Tex, we have both shrimp and oyster boats in the bays . Lucky us .
I left my down arctic suit at my sons house when we stayed there , before we bought our own place . In the off season , he would rent it to people he or his wife knew and worked with . Needless to say , it disappeared as did my D H snowmobile suit . I think I know who got it because the woman was seen digging up plants I had put out the winter before .Can't tolerate liars and thieves .Can't trust either of them.
My pooches are learning that the cat is Mine !
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9248884

Those suits are expensive. Too bad you can't prove it, even if you would.

So, the dogs don't chase the cat? I am slowly getting the dog to stop chasing my cat. At least mauling her when she does catch her. The squirt gun does wonders. The cat hates it, and the dog isn't sure where it is coming from. Funny to see the look on her face.

Well, our weather is turning cold for a while. Rained a bit ago and the weather lady said they are having lightening storms in Spokane, and then are heading this way. Then suppose to get back up to 80 by the weekend. yeah, almost down to the 60s on Wednesday.

I don't know whether I will have a ripe tomato or not. So far, I have one cherry tomato out there that is pretty close if the squirrel hasn't gotten it.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 21, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9248978

The snowmobile suit was 185:00 and the artic suit was over 1200.00. I priced some at over 600.00, but found this same one , from Norway , for a lot more .It was given to me from a rich old man that was going to use it for a mountain climb somewhere overseas .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
12:06 PM

Post #9249077

I believe it.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 21, 2012
9:29 PM

Post #9249619

Thieves have no heart.

I have a new photo of Emma and Izzy helping me make the bed.

Jen, our low tonight is going to be 87. Suppose to have rain tomorrow if the flow from California does this, and the flow from New Mexico does that and the jet flow does this. Blah, Blah, Blah...

We do not have fleas in Nevada.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9249652

Well, your 87 low is higher than our high. I have never seen fleas on the animals, but treat them just the same. I really do not want them in the house. jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 22, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9249765

There is no real dirt around L V . lol
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 22, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9250009

Digger you got that one. I have spent a fortune turning the Nevada blow sand into black soil. That is where Worm comes from in my tag name. Worms are my best friends. I spot compost and then I have a very large compost pile contained in a raised bed on the West side of the house. I stopped feeding my last one and just created a new one. That is one reason I have raised beds and very large pots.

Currently I am on our patio in the back landscape. Cloudy, rainy, rolling thunder and 76 degrees. Yahoo. I will probably just sit here for at least another hour, drink my tea and enjoy this wonderful morning.

Puppies do not now what to think about the rain and thunder. Have a great day. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
10:29 AM

Post #9250055

Sharon, that reminds me, what is that crushed granite or whatever that you and Dave both use? I have never seen it around here. Where do you get it? Give me a name and I will see if there is a location for it around Spokane.

Did you enjoy your storm? Yesterday was lightening in Spokane I guess, but we didn't get any. Just overcast. Now today it is beautiful blue sky.

Well, I suppose I have to call and make a new appt. with the dr. since I missed my appt. yesterday. Have one for myself for a hair appt. tomorrow and Bob has one for Candy at the same time. Maybe I can get in in the afternoon. ttyl,
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

August 27, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9255989

Did we lose Stilwood in the move. We need an update on your little Charlie. How is he doing, how does he travel and etc. Wondering minds want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huggs, Lee

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

August 27, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9256231

Lee, we (Charlie and I) are still here. He is a lovely boy – loving and basically cooperative. It has really turned our household upside down. I did not really realize how set in our ways we had become and how used to not being inconvenienced. Now we have to take his needs into consideration – it must be good for us!! He is eating and drinking normally now. Housebreaking is not complete. He will use the outdoors when we go out – but will not ask to go out. He tends to stand over by the back door, but if I don’t notice he has not learned a way to alert me. So I am trying to watch so he doesn’t have an opportunity to make a mistake. So far only 3 accidents – situation still in progress. Our new grandbaby was born in Alabama on 8/27 and we are traveling there this Thursday. Charlie is going with us and that will be an experience. I will have to protect him against enthusiastic grandchildren and will have to protect my DIL’s house against any accidents. So taking care of him will be full time project – just like having my own newborn! But he is good in so many ways – not yappy like so many small dogs (has barked twice, at the vacuum cleaner – not at other dogs or people at all.) He is not nervous or jumpy – just a sturdy little fellow. His breeder, Barbara Andrews, did such a great job of socializing him that he is quite comfortable with people and has quickly settled down with us. He sleeps in his crate (a puppy apartment) and does not make a sound all night (I bet my new grandson is not that quiet at night!!). I will report how the trip goes – we will be staying overnight in Murphy, NC and I have to pick a hotel that allows pets – several there do so. Wish me luck!!

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

August 27, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9256238

Here is picture of Charlie taking DH on a walk and one of him attacking one of his many toys - he picks them out of a basket and runs around squeaking them. I have never had a dog who could actually entertain himself with toys.

Thumbnail by stillwood   Thumbnail by stillwood         

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
5:51 PM

Post #9256261

Stillwood, you sound like you are really involved with Charlie. That is great. Especially like you say you are so set in your ways. We are still dealing with things like taking Candy, a yellow lab, with us or leaving her. It always depends on how long we are going to be gone and how hot it is outside. If it is hot, we don't want to leave her in the car, if we are going to be gone long we take her with us and anything that we need to do in stores etc. one of us stays in the car with her so we can keep the windows down, a door open etc. Those seem to be the issues we deal with now.

She is outside so much and she does her bathroom things outside, but when it turns cold out, I don't know how we are going to know when she needs to go out either. She isn't a year old yet, but hopefully we can work it out. She is short haired and I don't think we will be leaving her outside all winter. Our winters are somewhat colder and longer than yours.

We don't leave her outside because of predators. Cats, coyotes, etc. She still wonders what the deer are. She doesn't bark at them, just stands and looks t them. They don't run when they see her either.

Something woke me up at 4 o'clock the other morning. It was a cat. My bedroom windows are open. I got up and went into the kitchen and both of my cats were in there (normally they are sound asleep upstairs) and when they looked at me their eyes were big as saucers and they were looking out at the kitchen deck. I looked out there but didn't see anything. cougars are nocturnal. You never see them they are so sneaky.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9256268

We crossposted.

They do like their squeaky toys. Candy does too, but she always wants you to throw it for her. She gets it and jumps around with it and throws it herself for a bit but then she wants one of us to throw it for her.

Does your DH have much to do with Charlie? What does he think of him?

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

August 27, 2012
6:00 PM

Post #9256270

Here is one last picture of Charlie getting a bath from his breeder mom before we brought him home - he is such a perky boy!

Thumbnail by stillwood

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

August 27, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9256287

My husband agreed to get him as he usually agrees if I say I want something - but he definitely feels Charlie is my dog. However, I have found him reaching out to him to talk and pet him. Charlie is smart enough to show interest in him. Through the years my husband has never particularly wanted pets, but has always been good to those I got. He is a good fellow and good to me. I think he likes Charlie being so spunky and not yappy (not the typical toy dog - yappy and nervous). He likes the way Charlie cocks his head and looks up at him. I really think they are going to be buddies. On our upcoming trip I will have to try to keep taking the dog from being too terribly inconvenient for him, but he readily agreed when I said I wanted to take him.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 27, 2012
6:30 PM

Post #9256304

Charlie will enjoy the trip , I bet .
Sure wish I could find a sink like the one in your pic . I like that for bathing dogs even better than the laundry sinks . If you think of it when you talk to charlies former mom , ask where she got it . Sure thank you .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9256346

Sally if you google pet bathing sinks you get all kinds of them. Pretty expensive tho. You know there are places that have facilities where you can take your pets in and clean them yourselves and just pay them for the use of their equipment. I don't have a clue as to what those cost.

Bob just told me that the place we took Candy last week had that type of thing besides like we did, paid them to do it for me. If I had known they had it I would have checked it out just to see what the setup was and the cost.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9256354

I don't know what kind of dogs you are talking about bathing, but what about a regular laundry tub? I bought one to wash all my plant pots in. They are deep and probably 2 foot square. You can get them even at HD or Lowes for about $25 or so.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 27, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9256435

There is a car wash in the next town that has a dog wash too . Don't think I want to travel twenty five miles to bath four small dogs and transport wet dogs home . I think mostly hunting dogs go there .I have a tub for bathing but have to run a hose to the hot water . It's a pain and want to install a reg laundry station in the extra room we built . Looked at stainless restaurant sinks but so expensive .The fiberglass laundry tubs get nasty looking after awhile .
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 27, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9256506

I will take a photo of my sink in the laundry room. It was installed just to wash the dogs when we built the house.

Stillwood, Charlie is fitting right in and that is great. Good luck on your trip. Be safe.

Puppies will be a year old on the 9th of September. I am looking for a trainer for mid September. They are doing great but need to learn not to jump up on people and get over excited when approaching someone. And the barking at the front door. Just a few minor irritating things. Sharon

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2012
10:28 PM

Post #9256507

That jumping on people when they come in is very annoying Sharon. But you should have a big dog like Candy. She is taller than a lot of people when she does that. When you find a trainer that can stop that please tell me what they do. jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 28, 2012
5:25 AM

Post #9256609

Thanks , worms , and tell me where it came from , cost , etc . We do our own installing but the sink is the important part .
Jnette , I'm going to look now online for the dog sink . Just to get an idea .
My dogs jump too . Don't have much company except our kids and they encourage it . They all have house pets . Funny , how the pooches calm down after the first few seconds of greeting . My dogs act as if everyone that comes , comes just to see them , even strangers . Once they get into the yard , everyone is welcome . I pray , "Lord , don't let it be a serial killer "
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

August 28, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9257447

Have you tried Fosters and Smith catalog. I know they have one, don't know if it is the right one tho. Just a thought. Huggs, Lee
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 28, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9257484

I'll look at it , thanks .
Do you have a Jeffers catalog ? They seem to be cheaper on a lot of stuff . I've used them for years for lots of stuff . Hugs back
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 28, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9257493

I just looked at the catalog on line and a utility tub would be a lot cheaper . I'm looking for a regular , installed bathing station . Might have my son make me one out of stainless steel or tile . Thanks anyway . Hugs
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 28, 2012
4:39 PM

Post #9257519

digger, here is a photo of my sink. As you can see it placed into a cabinet. The faucet has a sprayer and a full flow option. It is 16 inches at the most narrow end, 19" at the fullest end. 29 inches long and 11 inches deep. This area was planned around our miniature schnauzers. Cecil and Emma are our third set of schnauzers.

First photo is cabinet and second photo is the sink and faucet.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
9:51 PM

Post #9257845

As I said, I don't know what kind of dog you are talking about. I think just paying to use one or a dog the size of Candy would be the best way to go. Not only would not be useful for some other type of dog, but a larger dog would be a mess. If I put one in for her and then sold my house to someone with a tiny dog like Sharon's mini schnauzers, then what?

I think a portable or a setup in the back yard, maybe a basement, or something would be better. They only charged me $35 to do Candy, and I thought that was great. However, that was for puppy price. Under a year, or something I guess. Not sure how much when she is out of puppydom.

WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 28, 2012
10:07 PM

Post #9257852

Jen, I had Todd's dog Ginger for the last two years of her life because Ginger did not get along with his wife's dog. She was a large dog. I bathed her in our bathtub that had a faucet with a sprayer handle as a separate faucet. Getting her in the tub and bathed was no big deal but getting her to stay in the tub until I had her dried off was a problem. The floors are marble and when you hit them wet you go flying.

We had a German Shepard years ago and we used to bathe her on the back patio but we were in Las Vegas, not in the mountains above Spokane.

It is now way past my bedtime. I am out of here. Have a great day tomorrow. Sharon
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 29, 2012
10:14 AM

Post #9258260

Worms , exactly what I want . Where did you get it ?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 29, 2012
10:21 PM

Post #9258978

I have several books the builder/designer put together. I will look up the specs. Probably will take a day. Worms
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 30, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9259128

Worms , the mfg. name might be on the sink too .
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 30, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9260010

It is a Kohler. K-5986-2U Entree Kitchen sink. This information is from February 23, 2000. Probably no longer made but will have one close to it. Cast Iron. Good luck, Sharon AKA Worms.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
8:59 PM

Post #9260015

Sally, :0) I don't think Sharon liked being called worms. Sharon, tell us again why you used that as your DG handle. Jen Or, then again, she might not have cared. Knowing Sharon, she really didn't. Jen (also known as Jeanette. Until JB got hold of me that is. LOL)
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

August 30, 2012
9:06 PM

Post #9260019

I do not care what you call me as long as you call me.

Worms come from the worms in my compost pile. I love to find worms in my garden. Means I have good soil.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

August 30, 2012
9:42 PM

Post #9260038

I agree on both counts Sharon. I bought 10 bags of word castings last week for my perennials because the soil is so bad. I am wanting to get the weeds out, spread the worm casting, lay down newspaper and then turn the sprinkler on and then the shredded hay on top of that. Hope I have the energy for some of it. Jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 31, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9260210

Good deal , I'm into cast iron , bought two claw footed bathtubs this summer . Now, if I can get one moved to my lower yard , It will become an outdoor shower/ spa .
I'll google Kohler .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

August 31, 2012
6:44 AM

Post #9260252

Just looked at some of them . Naturally I liked the over 1,000 dollar ones . It'll take more time to look and look . I do want a 9" deep ,single , cast iron They had several that looked good and it has to have the drain on the end so dog toenails are safer . I could use a rubber , non slip, dish pad in the bottom .
Is yours an undermount ? the cast iron drop in can be caulked for water safety but the undermounr looks like iron would be heavy . I don't know . Actually , yours looks like counter/sink combination ? All one piece ?

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 8:50 AM
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 1, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9262013

Cecil and Emma helped in the landscape today. They just sat there and watched every move I made.

In the house they follow me everywhere I go. They love those small peppers you get in a bag that are orange, yellow and red. Every time I open the fridge, they want one. I buy two large bags at Costco every week. They digest everything but the seeds. The seeds come out whole. Yes, I inspect their poop every time.

We are getting a trainer to fine tune their training end of September. They will be one year old on the 9th. End of September will be cooler.

Today's temperature was 95 and felt pretty good. Much better than 115. It is all relative.

Have a great Labor Day weekend. Sharon

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9262236

Glad to hear someone else feeds fresh veggies. Charle loves broccoli, carrots, celery, must try the peppers, peas in the pods , corn on the cob (cooked, have not tried raw yet) . Apples and bananas, blueberries and of course cheerios and bagel and cream cheese. I figure it is better for his weight problem to give him the fresh veggies than too many treats between meals. I use the veggies as treats and have now put him on all dry dog food. I still think there is too much fat even in the Wellness canned food. He was getting about two tablespoons of wet food a day. But, he was still not loosing weight. Too much stuff in between meals trying to train him I am sure.
He destroyed my good goose down comforter and a new blanket so I had to replace them. They have no calories but they sure are making Mommy upset when he does it. I buy him bones to chew on but he so loves things made of materiels. Last thing he did was tore up a pillow made by Indian children and I loved it. Well, that too is history.
Off to water the Greenhouse and containers outside. 90 deg heat again and just killing the outside plants with no rain. We are to get some of Isaac this week. I hope so. It is so dry again.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

September 8, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9268837

Where is everyone??? No stories about the babies to share???? Mine are learning to freeze and "die" when we say BANG. Funniest thing to see. Little Sam I AM puts all four feet in the air and kicks straight up. Gosh, Laughter is keeping us both sane. Stormy needs a push and then lays all out head stretched out, but my hand needs to be down by him . They both could pass for troubled dogs on some TV show I am sure of it. Anyway, lets hear some more from all of you, Huggs, Lee

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

September 8, 2012
1:16 PM

Post #9269094

Okay - here is a bit of news about Charlie (the Toy Fox Terrier).

We took him to Alabama to visit with the 3 grandsons (including the newest born 8/24) and granddaughter (age 3) and he was a hit with everyone. I had to protect him a bit as the grandsons wanted him to run and chase and I was afraid they would be too rough as they are used to playing with BIG dogs. Charlie thinks he is big, but I kept a reins on the activity and made them slow down and approach quietly. They really learned and got to where they would sit on the floor and encourage him to come to them to play with toys and their fingers. The oldest even worked on teaching him to sit (which he knew when we left here, but got confused as when Will told him to sit and he lay down, Will gave him a tiny piece of freeze dried liver. From then on, if you said Sit, he promptly lay down and looked up alertly. That will have to be straightened later (LOL). He is so smart that he will do whatever you want for praise and love - even if it appears a bit foolish to him (those humans are so easily trained - I can just hear him thinking that)!

This message was edited Sep 8, 2012 4:30 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 8, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9269128

Ha ha , told you it's easy to travel with your pooches . Congratulations . Common sense, and you have a lot of it , apparantly.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 8, 2012
8:06 PM

Post #9269433

My two will be one year old tomorrow. Seems more like 10 years but we are over the training hump.

I am getting a trainer in about 3 weeks to finalize just a few training things. Our biggest problem is when we approach someone at the park. They pull and drag me along. When thy get where ever we are going, they are fine but I have absolutely no control. They do not bark at other dogs that are in their yards barking at them when we walk by. They just totally ignore them. This is wonderful but I have nothing to do with it.

That is really funny about playing dead Lee. And the sit turned into a lay down is also cute.

Hopefully I can get a cute birthday photo and post it tomorrow. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 8, 2012
9:09 PM

Post #9269487

Trainers here are few and far between Sharon. I would love to be able to take Candy to another one. Bob really did not like the first one, and she really DOES need a trainer. She has both of us buffaloed and knows it. jen

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

September 9, 2012
5:36 AM

Post #9269634

Thanks for the compliment, Digger. I'm afraid my DH doesn't necessarily share your opinion of my common sense all the time. However, he has been very good about my getting Charlie. He pays a bit of attention to him and is very kind and gentle with him (as he has always been with my pets). Yesterday we even discussed three trips we had scheduled, including a long trip to Alaska and he was agreeable to changing or cancelling all of them (even Alaska – that would have been our 6th trip there, at great expense, to see basically what we have seen before). It may happen at some point that I have to leave Charlie in a kennel, but I am not ready to do so. I admit I was not particularly thrilled by any of the trips anyway – since retirement I have basically wanted to stay at home with my music and garden. But it really surprised me that he so readily agreed – maybe his paternal instincts have been revived by Charlie as my maternal ones apparently have. For 2 of the trips I am going to try to substitute going places to bird watch that have pet friendly hotels near. Having this dog is like having a toddler to care for and protect. It requires changing our way of doing things and that is good – we were getting too settled since retirement.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 9, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9269917

That happens Stillwood. But, it also happens that you get too entrenched at home with the dog. Maybe your DH was looking for an excuse not to go himself? We always have animals to care for so don't take trips. You only have one so don't let him stop you from going places you really want to go to.

As someone on this thread, might have been digger, said you can always put him in a kennel wherever you go if you need to. You can do some research on google before you go for a good kennel just in case.

But sounds like both of you, or I should say, the 3 of you, are getting in the swing of things. LOL jen
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

September 9, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9269925

I know that some of the larger places have dog sitting services. The ones I have checked out only kennel at nite, and they have lots of different play things to do to keep the babies occupied. I know the one by the hotel we stayed at in Seattle had one of those called a doggy day care with 24/7 sitters. I agree, it is a change, but you will all adjust. Take it from someone who knows wherefrom she talks. :) Huggs, Lee
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

September 13, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9274402

Hey JB, did you quit posting here also? I miss you. Hope you are alright, Huggs, Lee

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

September 15, 2012
2:11 PM

Post #9276068

Can anyone suggest where to get a tall portable grooming table? I have seen many grooming tables on the web, but they all seem to be for professionals. The table I am using outside when I brush Charlie is one my husband made for another purpose and it is a bit too low to be really comfortable. The one that is in the picture of Charlie with is breeder mom (back a bit on this thread) is one she bought at a dog show several years ago and she does not know where to get one just like it. I want something the right height for working on a small dog and to be portable enough so that I can easily move it. I am planning to brush him in the greenhouse during the winter when it is too cold for outside. I don't have good spot in the house as the light hair flies so badly. Any suggestions as to a source for such a grooming table?

JB said she brushes Charle every night. JB - do you do that inside? Everyone - is JB okay?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9276114

Stillwood, whatever you get, be sure it has large swivel casters on it. So, when you buy, remember 4 or 5 inches for the casters. If you get anything smaller they will be really hard to use. You may have to put them on yourself. And be sure they are swivels. If you find a table in a plastic it would be easier to move, lighter weight, and more durable to clean and use for water.

Those are just my opinion. Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 15, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9276189

I just sit down and comb them on my lap. They lay on their back and let me groom them.

What about your washer or dryer. You could place on top of the dryer. Wet hands picks up flying dog hair very easily.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
10:32 PM

Post #9276376

That reminds me, have you guys tried Borax in your laundry water? It works wonders for getting dog and cat hair off of your clothes, bedding, blankets, etc. It must take the static out of them or something. All the dryer sheets in the world don't do the job like Borax does.

Jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9276582

Hello Stillwood and everyone,

No, I have not stopped posting on this thread, I have just been very busy and have not had much time to chat. I am in the process of having my computers replaced and trying to find all the old CDs for the new machines is a problem.Wednesday it will all be over at least on the big PC and it will be totally up to date with Windows 7 (not sure I am happy with that) but it will be a chore trying to learn how to use everything. I just need to get all my old files transferred and settled in. Now, back to the dog hair.

I used a table when I had the short hair dog because my friend was a groomer and she would come and sometimes we even cut his hair...one summer we all but shaved him, just for fun. Poor dog.

Anyhow. The portable tables with no rolling casters are my choice. If the table rolls it gives the dog a poor sense of security and they become unsteady and do not want to stand still. The one I had I purchased from a pet supply and it also had the part where you can tie the dog by his neck and he stands still without someone else holding him.
I personally never use the table and have not used it for years...when I brush or groom my dogs I do it on the couch, bed or where ever he is comfortable and the dogs seem to enjoy it more in that type setting. The actual grooming, when the toe nails get cut, etc. then the table is used, but it is a light weight table and easy to put away and take out. We only cut toe nails once every 6 weeks.

On his nightly grooming or combing I use Show Eyes the little pads to keep his eyes clean, plus I use the Ear Wipes that I can stick my finger in his ears and clean them out as well as Qtips if he had some wax. I use one of those instruments to look in his ears and if there is no was then I merely clean out his outer parts of his ear. Ear mites can be so nasty I like to keep the ears clean. Last but far from least is his favorite, brushing his teeth. Adtually it is more like eating the toothbrush and toothpaste, which tastes like peanut butter.

He is actually becoming a wonderful companion dog and is beginning to pay attention to commands. I think the fact that repeating it constantly is the answer.

The hair situation is a problem, but the short haired dogs loose more hair around the house that you do not see until you run the sweeper. My kitchen and bird room are swept daily sometimes several times a day depending on the amount of dirt we drag in from the outside. The carpets are the problem. I have wall to wall on most of the house and I love my little Bissel that is charged is so light., I just go over the spots where he lays and runs. The girls that work for me keep the hair off the furniture when they clean. The short hair dog hair is much easier to see and pick up on your clothing than the long haired dog , at least I think it is. This dog sheds in chunks more often than the single hairs but this fall he has really had a good shed and we use a great medicated shampoo that is good for dogs, cats and horses and it seems to keep the itching to a minimum.

Stillwood, I am sure you can find the table that suits you and some have adjustable legs so you can adjust if you want to sit to groom them. Be sure and read the descriptions on the internet before you purchase one and I am sure you will find one to fit your needs. I hope my comments help you in some way. Have a great day. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9276963

You can get most casters either/or with brakes on them or not. Therefore, you would not have the table moving with the dog on it. Then take the brakes off when you need to move it from one place to another. Stillwood said she wanted the flexibility. jen

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

September 16, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9276993

Everyone – thanks for the suggestions. As so often happens, it turns out that the solution was right here under my nose. Years ago my husband built a table (bench) for me to use in my potting shed from wood out of an old piano (recycling – we were poor then). It is just the right height to piddling around with pots and dirt. It dawned on me today that it is exactly the right height for brushing Charlie. I tried it out and it is great. No back strain – it is big enough that he has plenty of room and won’t step off easily (of course, I have my hands on him). When the hair flies, it does not matter – I just blew it off onto the floor (it is a potting shed already and gets swept every few days). It has a fan I use in hot weather and a small heater for cold weather – so I can work there all year. I’m amazed it took me a week of trying to find something to buy before I realized I already had what I need. Now I can maybe spend on plants the money I saved on a grooming table!

I guess I will have to learn to live with hair in the house, in spite of brushing. So far (1 month) he has been shedding all along - not a lot at a time, but steady. I am shaking his towels (where he lays on the couch with me) every day and vacuuming every couple of days. I don't let him on the bed or any other furniture, so the hair stays on the floor (carpet) and me. At least it is clean hair. So far DH has not complained (he may not have noticed what goes on the carpet and I am not pointing it out). Since we are no longer working, it is not an issue on our clothes - shorts and jeans don't show hair like dress clothes (good thing).
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9277273

That's right Stillwood, because Candy is in the house most of the time, she sheds all year round. Yes, I do the same as you. I have 2 cats that are as bad or worse tho. Don't know wht breed they are, but they have an underhair that is so fine you don't see it. When Tiger sits on my lap I have to put one of those microfiber cloths over her so I don't breath a lot of it. But, yes, I am constantly vacuuming and Bob uses a shedding blade on Candy and that does wonders. However, he has to do it every couple of days. It really helps a lot. Lee and I think it was JB that both suggested that and here we had 2 in the dog's equipment bag that we had with the other dogs but for some reason didn't use them.

Try one. You might really like them. Also, I have heard that hair is good for plants. Protein. jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 17, 2012
4:33 AM

Post #9277470

I don't know about the plants , but in the spring , I just throw the hair in the yard . The birds have a snuggly lining for baby's nest . It doesn't stay there in the yard long .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
8:51 AM

Post #9277723

Yes, that works too. I have seen the birds doing that here too.

edited to add: But in the greenhouse, the plants could use it I have heard.

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 8:53 AM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 17, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9277813

I don't know how . It's made from the same stuff as fingernails . If it works , let me know .
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

September 17, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9277818

Just fyi---I found that hair will also send moles packing. By putting in their major runways, it makes them think there is a predator looming and away they go. Not dead, just movin on!! It worked in my yard out in Washington, don't have the problem here. TTYAL, Huggs, Lee
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9277884

Interesting. I wonder, after they ate all my garlic, if they would even smell the hair? LOL, lil buggers. Could kick their butts. If I could catch them.

Sharon, how are you feeling? jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 17, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9277904

I am feeling much better. Not well yet but much better. I think it is just a cold. I go so few places, I cannot determine how I got a stupid cold. Netti Pot kicked it's butt.

I do the same with dog hair and lint from the drier. The birds take it for their nests.

I need to take an updated of the puppies. Maybe later today. Emma weighed in at the Vet's at 18 pounds. Cecil at 16. To much weight. We found out Vern and I were both feeding them. So that has stopped.

I will stop in later. I think I need a nap. Sharon
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 17, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9278040

We have something in Texas that makes mounds . I'll try it ,
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9278165

Have you seen them Sally? If they are big they are probably Marmots. If not, probably moles. Yes, it is amazing what they can go thru when we can't even dig in it. Don't know how they do it, other than they have good claws. We watched one coming up in the garden. That sand which is like cement, was just flying. Yup, making a mound.

edited to add: We had worked for hours laying chicken wire, would you believe, in my perennials and that guy went right thru it. So, we had to do it over using 1" chicken wire. That worked for several years, but we couldn't plant any more plants there without cutting a hole big enough in the wire!! What a pain.

One more thing that worked for a while was I bought some Mole out or something like that from Garden's Alive, and broadcast it in my perennials. They were gone instantly, but the other side of the house looked like a mine field the next morning. Guess they were going to show me!!

This message was edited Sep 17, 2012 4:58 PM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 17, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9278301

I've never seen them . I thought they were fire ants except there was never any ants in them . I spent a lot of money on ant killer before it dawned on me that I was spinning my wheels . LOL
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9278387

Wow, ant killer. They must have taken over the tunnel? I've never heard of that.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 18, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9278770

I thought they were ant hills , only no ants . I poisoned the hills anyway . Then I found out it was a little animal made those hills. DUH !
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9279027

Sally, how did you find out a little animal? Was it dead?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 19, 2012
6:56 AM

Post #9279819

Neighbors told me it was gophers . Said they were everywhere . My dogs kept digging in the mounds but never brought anything up . I guess they just make the mounds then move on .Another neighbor said it was moles . Don't know who's right , but it isn't ants .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
10:24 AM

Post #9280101

My dogs did that too and made a bigger mess than the original animals ever did. Once I put the wire down tho, none of them did any more digging.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 19, 2012
2:40 PM

Post #9280337

Our yards are sand down there , and my yard has truckloads of sand brought in to make it higher than other yards . We're only six foot above sea level . The sand can be dug and just scraped back with a foot , it's so loose .I'm starting St Augustine grass , and will be working pine needles into the sand to give a little loam this year where it's bare .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 19, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9280434

We have sand too. But, it is like cement. I have no idea how the animals dig thru it like that. I added manure, compost, etc. a dozen bags in a short area where I wanted to plant berry plants years ago and the next year, the plants were gone over the winter, don't know where, if the moles took them, deer, or whatever, but I bought some more and went to plant them and even the stuff I had put in from the year before was gone, the manure, compost it was all gone. Not a sign of it. I tried one more time, and the next year I checked it before buying plants, and it was gone too. Just sifts down I guess. Probably filling up my water aquafir so I won't have any water in my well if I kept it up. LOL, I didn't do it again, but that is why I plant in bales and buckets. Too expensive too.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

September 19, 2012
4:53 PM

Post #9280456

Everyone - apparently most of the original posters on this thread have pups who are now about 1 year old. Are they reliably house trained? My Charlie came to me in August at age 13 months. He was already trained to go on grass and will do so when I take him out. He does not seem to have any concept of asking to go out. I have to be alert to take him out regularly - rain or shine! Is it reasonable to expect that he will eventually catch on to going to the door or something (I need to pay attention, of course)? I have heard of dogs being trained to ring a bell to go out - but that seems a bit beyond us at this point.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 19, 2012
5:44 PM

Post #9280528

If a dog wants to go out , each will ask in a different way . You have to be a genius to understand each dog . some won't even ask , they just wait for you to open the door .
I try to get mine to respond to" Go outside ?" If you see one walking around like it's looking for something , it is , a place to pee or poo . A doggy door is the best solution I can think of and of course a safe yard to go in , as in fenced . I have two new dogs right now and am starting over in training . Whewwww !
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 19, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9280545

I cannot tell you if the puppies are trained or me.

They use the doggy door but that is to keep an eye on me when I go outside through the garage or to get back in if I put them in the back.

Sleeping in the crate really got them on a potty schedule. I am home 95% of the time and I am always on alert when they wake up. And they get at least 2 walks a day. With the weather nicer we have been going for walks 3 times a day. The last few days I have been battling a cold and I think they can count because they have only been getting 2 walks a day and thy stand at the back door and stare at me.

I take them in the back landscape every night before we go to bed. If they need to go potty, they go right away because they know they will get a treat when thy go to bed. But in the morning, they may play around for 10 minutes and not go potty so I make sure they stay out a little longer.

I know that did not answer your question but that is my answer...Sharon
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 19, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9280605

Digger is absolutely right, if mine are looking around they are looking somewhere to go poop. Cross post.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9280951

When we get to Texas , first thing is doggy door from house to porch . Then porch to yard. I'll have to keep feet trimmed because the sand sticks to feet so bad when it's damp .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9281397

Candy will come and stand next to me looking me right in the eye. I forget that why she is doing it. Then she will go to the door and stand. That is when it sinks in what she wants. Bob gets up and asks if she wants out. Then she makes a dash for it.

I used to have a dog that would bark at the door. That was nice. Weird. jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 20, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9281438

When any dog just looks at you intently , it wants something . It's trying mental telepathy on you .

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

September 22, 2012
2:12 PM

Post #9283241

JB - I just finished reading your facebook (or rather, Charle's facebook) after I Liked it a couple of days ago. It is one of the funniest things I have ever read. Now that I have Charlie, I can really sympathize with your trials and tribulations with Charle when he was a puppy - he is a beautiful dog and a real live wire! Thanks for sharing him with us!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 23, 2012
6:35 AM

Post #9283783

Thank you for the kind words. I thoroughly enjoy sharing the fun and frolic I have with my animals.

Years ago, when I bred small and medium exotic birds, I had my second Jack Russell, his name was Barney. He was a fun dog and smart as a whip and unlike many dogs he loved the birds and the cats. He assumed the role of their protector from day one. He knew the feeding routine and was always there day and night when I handfed those babies. Sometimes I was too tired to sleep so I would get on the computer and write a Barney story about something funny that happened that day. I made it sound like he was writing it. I began to share those stories with the bird people and they became so popular that they would ask when is the next one coming.

One time I had two clutches of tiny parrotlets that I was handfeeding every two hours24/7 and the fact there was 12 of them and they were too tiny to put bands on to tell them apart I used two bread baskets with bounty in the bottoms for sanitary purposes (only for the birds, we never used the baskets after that). As I fed I would move the chicks from the basket on my left to the basket on my right so I was sure I got them all fed and none were overfed.
At two in the morning you are a bit sleepy when feeding and the birds are so active one of the little guys climbed out of the one basket and fell into the waste can which was full of soiled bounty and kleenex. Feeding them is a messy job.so the basket was half full of soiled kleenex. I never saw him fall and Barney was laying on the floor beside me. I finished feeding and noticed when I put them back into the brooder one was missing. I had no idea where it was. I looked in the waste basket but they are tiny little pink things no bigger than a 50 cent piece and I could not hear or see him. So, I went to clean up the mess and Barney began to fuss and wanted me to come back to the feeding room. He was so insistent that I went and he went right over to the waste basket and stood there looking into it. I emptied it and sure enough, there was the 12th baby peeping his little head off when he heard me. His eyes were not open yet but he could hear me. We were so happy I cuddled him because they are so tiny they must be kept warm and he was cold from being out of the brooder so long with no feathers. So we wrote a story about the dirty dozen one time. That went on for 14 years when last year just about this time I had to put Barney to sleep and I am still grieving over his death. That dog went through so much with me, taking care of my husband and mother who both passed on, me retiring from my job, living alone on the farm trying to figure out what to do next in my life, you know how it is. I told him all my secrets and he never told a soul. LOL.

Then aftrer brooding and crying for about six months the kids insisted I get another dog and HERE COMES CHARLE. The rest is on facebook.

This message was edited Sep 23, 2012 9:36 AM

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
8:09 AM

Post #9289813

I wanted to drop in and say Hi. plus tell you what Charle is up to. Theresa was here helping me on Thurs. and Charle was under the table sleeping. She did not see him and ran the sweeper under the table and got his big hairy tail caught in the sweeper. Well, he did scream and yell. I was not funny and she was so upset she just grabbed him and hugged him. What a way to start the day. When she did that I was in the bird room feeding and I left there in a rush to see what was going on. When I did I neglected to lock the parrot's cage door and he proceeds to escape and comes down on the floor walks all over the place and no one noticed until I saw Charle get that look that he was going to grab and play with something and God forbid, it was the bird. I grabbed Charle and handed him by the neck no less to Theresa. She put him away and then I went to the parrot, not knowing if I would get my hand bit off or not, but I put my arm out and he jumped on it and began to make his love noises. So, I put him back in the cage.
That was Thurs.
Yesterday was rather quiet thank God, but today I had a bag of garbage in one hand and Charle on the leash in the other and out the door we went for our morning walk. He went over to the front of the house and barn yard and immediately picked up something black and ugly. Put it in his mouth and started to chew. I grabbed it, garbage flew and tried to get it out of his mouth. My hands have so much arthritis in them it is difficult to open his jaws. They just a so strong. I got it open, pulled this dead thing out of his mouth and threw it on the ground. Then I went to recover the garbage, and he grabbed the dead thing again and had it in his mouth. Again I had to recover it. I was nearly out of breath and so upset to have to touch that dead thing with my bare hands, I grabbed him and my SIL came and took it and buried it, whatever was left of it, and I took Charle and garbage to the barn, came right back, put him in the house and washed my hands about four times with all kinds of stuff to kill germs. I then grabbed him by the back of the neck, and I just wanted to strangle him...but instead I took some kitchen hand soap and put it on my hands and washed out his mouth with this soap. Then I dried it with a towel and shoved him out of the kitchen. I was so angry I would have killed him if I had not restrained myself. There is no excuse for him to eat dead animals. I could vomit just thinking about it. So, he is now on his good behavier and watching every move I make since I an not speaking to him. I have nothing nice to say to this hog dog at this time, so I say nothing. I hope I soon cool down. I am so angry with him I just could give him away. This is not the first time this has happened and I will never get used to it I swear.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 29, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9289826

I have one just like that . When she sees me coming , she tries to swallow whatever it is . Like a dope addict , trying to hide the evidence . Gag .
I can't unload a mouse trap for getting the germs on me . Can't wash them off . Dog poo is different , bare fingers on a hard little mistake washes off easy with germ soap .lol
Am I normal ?
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 29, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9289910

Digger, no you are not normal and if you were you wouldn't be here talking to us.

My two puppies insist on eating dead worms on the sidewalk by a neighbors house and bird poop on the sidewalk in the park. Then they want to get in my lap and give me kisses.

They have been getting up at 7am instead of 8am. And sleep right up against me on the bed and when I try to roll over it is a major operation. So I wait until my back or hip is throbbing and then I move them. Their crate is just sitting in my dressing area collecting dust.

Izzy, the cat caught a baby rat yesterday and killed it after a few hours of torture. Now she is out hunting for another one. I sure if she found one she will find more. The rats come in from the golf course and build nests in the palm trees.

I will have to update their photos. The cat now weighs 11 pounds. She is long and finally filled out. Now I am going o have to watch what I feed her. Cecil weighs 16 lbs and Emma weighs 18 pounds. About 3 pound to many for Emma and 2 pounds to many for Cecil. But we did discover we were both feeding them so now I only feed them. And they only get dry dog food.

I have gardening to do today and I should have already started. Talk at you later. Sharon

Have a fun day. OMG, I bet Charlie woke up real fast with his rail in the sweeper.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2012
10:38 AM

Post #9289968

Hello, I am new here. I have been reading this thread for a little while but not posting. My name is Tammie. I have 3 Lhasa Apsos
Misty 13 Mother of Shiloh
Shiloh 11 Spoiled absolutely ROTTEN and thinks she is a baby... separation anxiety and has to always be with me or Misty
Sky 11 Shilohs cousin born 7 days after Shiloh and very shy and sweet

All three are black and unfortunately do what Lhasas are NOT supposed to do.. they shed like you would not believe so I live in a world of black hair and constant brushing. I am 51 and single so they are my life. A cat shares our home also. She came to live with us when she was 3 days old.. bottle fed and mostly raised by Misty when Misty was only 6 months old. Lucy occasionally lays in my lap and graces me with her gentle paws but otherwise just drives me crazy using the dogs sleeping cages as her litterbox! This started about 6 months ago and I now do tons of laundry washing the quilted pads.

Now, on to my comments. Charlie needs to learn the word "off" All my dogs learn this command as a necessity. It comes in handy when I want them to ignore something, drop something or give me something they have in their mouths. It is rather easy to teach too. It is tought by putting a small treat on the ground in front of the dog.. as the dog goes for it you cover it with your foot and command 'off' and wait for the dog to give you its attention. .. this usually occurrs by the dog sitting and lookng up at you in confusion... Then reward by allowing him to have the treat. After repeated times the dog learns when you say "off" you don't even have to cover the treat.. they will back off from it... I have to admit... some dogs take more time than others!

This is one of my more useful commands.. it stops a dog in its tracks! They don't know what it is you want the 'off' of but they just stop and look at you like "what mom?" I find myself resorting to it in emergencies because it is short, quick and gets results. It can be shouted and is heard when a dog needs to hear you.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 29, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9289977

I'll try that !
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
11:50 AM

Post #9290026

Wow Tammie. Thanks. That sounds like something we all can do. Maybe even me and Candy. LOL. I will have to tell Bob too. He really thought that was interesting. Will be fun to see if he can make it work for Candy. Sometimes I think she is hopeless.

Anyway, Welcome Tammy!! Good to see a new face. Don't think I'll ever see 51 again. :0)

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 29, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9290097

Hi Tammy. Welcome. Thanks for the new training trick. I will certainly try it. Not that I think this dog will remember, he has a learning disability I am sure.. He only hears what he wants to hear and like most men, he does his own thing.
See you later. Time for football again. Miami University beat N. C. State. My family is all down there this week for Family weekend. I am so glad they won. We were texting back and forth during the game. I really like college football. Later, Welcome again Tammy, stick around we are a fun lot.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

September 29, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9290235

Well, I guess I was a bit too complacent about housebreaking and my TFT Charlie. He has had only 4 lapses in the house so far and each time I was aware I had been negligent about paying attention and getting him out. Tonight I took him out in the rain and he wet immediately. But he wanted to come in then and I let him although I was fully aware he had not pooed since early morning. Four minutes later he did it on the carpet right in front of DH. So the burden is definitely on me to PAY ATTENTION - he simply does not feel a burden of guilt - when he has to go, he is going to go and it is up to me to be sure he is in the right place. At least there does seem to be a pattern developing. I can't let him out by himself as the yard is not fenced now and the woods are dark and deep - if he chased a squirrel or lizard (and that terrier body is going to chase if it can), he would be quickly lost. I have started designing a fence, but that is going to be a difficult project. I don't think there is a practical way here to have a dog door leading to a fenced yard. (I probably should have thought of all this before I fell in love!).
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 29, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9290287

Stillwood, you'll figure it out. Are you wanting a dog run? That is really nice. Do you have any overhead predators? That would fly in and grab him? We have hawks and Eagles mainly. Little guys like some of yours would not have a chance.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

September 29, 2012
5:54 PM

Post #9290327

Welcom Tammie, I agree with your command, but my word is "leave it" Works wonders, doesn't it. The one I am working on right now is STOP. Poor Storm hears it so often, I keep waiting for him to figure how to ignore it. Usually it is because Sam I Am is pestering him to play and he gets a bit too carried away. So much of a weight difference, accidents can happen in the blink of an eye.

Sam I Am got his 1 year shots on Tuesday, good little trooper he was, just licked them as if to say, " I know you don't mean to hurt me" then went on about his business of loving everyone, Hope all of the little "people" are minding and learning. JB hang in there, they all go thru the eat anything stage, but he will get over it. You know, that smell is like candy to a dog. And what do we do to candy??????? This too will pass. Still gross tho :) Wait until he wants to roll in smelly stuff. That is a trip in itself.

Yep, paying attention to our little ones is really important. That is how they teach us hehehe. Huggs, Lee
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 29, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9290335

How about a cable run ? If he had some shelter from the rain , he could get under it when the business is over . You would have to be with him until he finished , then get him back in . Maybe it could be rigged from the porch to a pole , then all you would have to do is snap it onto his colllar , then he could take his time to "go ". You would have to be very careful that he couldn't jump off the porch , or shelter and hang himself on the lead . Carefully thought out , it might be the answer to him being contained and give you freedom at the same time . I used that method for my Westie until we got the whole place ,100x100 fenced .
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 29, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9290348

I got my Westie from Linny , in S Carolina , already well trained in "wait ". No jumping out the door ahead of me or running in before his feet were wiped. It worked when he would run up the road and I had to chase him , wouldn't come when called back . I hollered "wait " and he got the message to stop so I could catch him . Head down and tail tucked , he knew he was doing something wrong and would sit and wait . I kept repeating it as I approached him in case he thought about breaking . I'm grateful for her training him to that.I ended up trimming all that hair on his feet . Much nicer now
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 29, 2012
9:28 PM

Post #9290529

I have the invisible fence. It was not cheap but it does work. And I had it installed around the total perimeter of the our home lot. Maybe you could just cover the back area. Look it up on Google. It works great and they learned quickly. It beeps first then shocks them. After two shocks, they do not go near the areas where it is installed. They put white flags up so they could determine where the invisible fence was installed. After a few weeks, you can remove the flags. I installed the fence to block off the swimming pool and KOI pond.

Cecil, the male schnauzer puppy that is so eager to come back inside that he will rush out, piddle and then rush back into the house. I do not allow that. My husband did. He quickly learned he was being conned. The older male schnauzer needs a long walk to empty his bladder. He will not actually head back home until his bladder is empty. It took me months to determine the problem with him peeing in the laundry room. Since the long, slow walks, we no longer have the problem with the elder schnauzer.

Welcome Tammy. This is a good group. We are all leaning together. I was informed by a trainer last week I should have started training when they were 4 months old. She said we have many things for them to unlearn. Well I did like her attitude about my adorable puppies. So I am still looking for a trainer. LOL

I am off to bed. I am doing taxes so will not be on much tomorrow. Have a great Sunday. Sharon
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9290564

I am lucky to have a small fully fenced yard. My three have taken off on runs a couple of times and when given the chance.. they do run! Misty is the instigator... I don't know why she does it either. She minds about absolutely everything else except when she gets out that front gate. Once Misty is off.. the other two follow. Shiloh and Sky.. they are trustworthy in the front yard, unless they are following MIsty.. then they are gone like the wind!

Why wait until they are 4 months old.. they can start learning some things even earlier than that. I have started teaching puppies to stand for grooming sessions when they are 6 weeks old. My puppies were wonderful on tables when they were sold. I only had 3 litters of puppies but by the time they were sold at 12 weeks, they were well trained to stand and be handled by groomers, walking on leashes, no fear of loud or sudden noises and they knew sit and stay. I really enjoyed working with my dogs and training. I have been lax the last few years. Misty does not hear well any more and it I am grateful that I trained her with both voice and hand gestures. I figured out that her hearing was going when I was told her something and she did not obey then commanded by hand and she obeyed immediately. I now do everything by both hand and voice. I felt so guilty when I realized I had been getting frustrated with her for a while not obeying me and did not realize what was happening.

The most common thing heard around my house the first 7 years was to Shiloh... "leave Sky alone!" poor Sky was picked on, bullied and at times literally attacked. It was a nightmare that that they were never allowed to be left alone. It was not safe for Sky. Sky is the smallest by almost 10 pounds and when Shiloh attacked her, Misty joined in. Blood was drawn at times and I was sometimes nicked when intervening. NOT fun. I got really good at grabbing Sky by the scruff of the neck.. lifting her in the air with Shiloh still attached to her then prying Shiloh off her!... Luckily they have soooo much hair there was more wet hair than injuries. I would then have growling dogs slinking around for the next few hours and for a few days tempers would be short... There was a time I actually considered getting rid of Shiloh due to these problems. I read books, watched programs including The dog whisperer... I finally got some ideas. Two worked... One... I AM THE PACK LEADER... I always was but I really assumed that role .. I enter the door first.. well, most of the time, LOL Misty does get the upper hand at times. She IS my favorite. Shhhh... don't tell the others! Second, we played a tolerate each other game weather they liked it or not! I was in charge. They were set side by side on the bed with Sky in the middle on the bed and literally forced to quietly tolerate laying there beside each other literally almost touching. Not allowed to growl, fuss or even react in any way. I only allowd them to pay attention to me. I gradually increased the time they laid there and made them stay there until they relaxed. ANY growl, or fuss was instantly corrected. THis was an exercise in patience.. it did take some time and work but very much worth it...It was unbelievably amazing! The fights became infrequent until they completely stopped. We went years between fights. Sky came out of her shell and became and wonderful happy dog. Sky Blossomed! They actually sleep side by side at times.. not often but they do sleep on the bed together at night sometimes. I do not leave them all toghether in the house alone very often.. just out of habit but I do feel safe leaving them together now. When I leave the house, Misty and Shiloh go to their own room and Sky has the run of the rest of the house. Their bedroom is a full bedroom with pads, a TV and everything a dog could want, done in Pooh! I had the door removed and remade into a 1/2 door with PVC lattice in the middle of it so they can see out... can you say SPOLED! There are 2 2x3 ft cages set up like little caves that they use as private beds. I used to use them years ago when I needed to separate them after fights. Now the doors are NEVER closed and Lucy the cat sleeps in them sometimes. They love to sleep in them. They are their private places. The room has a dresser and shelves with all their blankets, toys and other things 3 dogs could need or want.

This message was edited Sep 30, 2012 12:41 AM
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 30, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9290754

I have back problems and gerd so my bed the last ten years is a recliner so I can simi sit up , beats pillows . Two of my dogs have a private bed too ! In my lap , one on each side . LOL

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

September 30, 2012

Post #9290927

Digger, I had gerd for many years. Lived with tums, all sorts of gasex stuff and finally my doctor gave me a prescription for Aciphex...it is a bit pricey but if you take one a day late afternoon I guarantee you I would give up every other pill I have to be able to stay on that. I eat anything I want and drink wine and completely enjoy NO MORE GERD.

My fenced in dog yard is about 20 x 20 and it goes from one end of my south deck to the other. The doggie door is open to the deck which works well since critters do not come in the fenced in yard (I don't think) and if they do, the dog would chase them. That does not mean a bird could not pick up a small dog especially hawks. My daughter had a roof put on her dog run. The fence is actual kennel fence and it looks fine since both runs match. She had kennel wire or chicken wire over the top to keep the hawks out so the schnauzer puppies would be safe. We used to breed them, but now she only has one. We had as high as 10 at a time and what a noise that was. Black and Salt and Pepper. My friend bred white and black ones. She did a bit of inbreeding to get those and of course we did not do that. She had a pure white one that was a beauty.

I never use the electric fence because it keeps your dogs in but it does not keep other dogs out. I have a friend who had her dog chewed up from a stray coming into the yard and trying to breed with her female lab and that dog chewed her dog up big time. I feel safer with a fence. I do not like picket type because the dogs can get their heads in there depending on how far apart the posts are. Just my old opinion but it does make you think when you actually have seen the results.

Have a good day. Off to work. JB
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9290973

Good point JB.. never thought about another dog coming in with the invisible fence!

I use protonix for gerd when I have insurance... it works great! Currently don't have insurance so I use prilosec (generic) in the am and pepcid (also generic) in the pm. This makes a good combination and works almost as well. I can eat anything I want too. I tried everything until my doctor suggested this combination.

We have sunshine today... yea! After over 5" of rain on thursday and friday, this is very welcome. Texas really got a soaking!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9291160

I was on aciphex for a few years but soon it quit working so now am on dexilant. Think it is fairly new. Don't know what gerd is?? Sounds very painful.

Sharon did you mean you did NOT like the trainer? jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

September 30, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9291250

I had an answer earlier but the puter stopped working , had to reboot.Hate that , happens too often .
Can't lay down or bend over after eating . Don't take meds for it . can eat anything otherwise . Most of my chair sleeping is because of back and leg joints .
Maybe a shock collar for two that run to the road when a loud car goes by . Private road and owners are careful . Thier company could do better .
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

September 30, 2012
9:21 PM

Post #9291621

Yes, Jen, that is what I meant. Full of herself. Not a good salesman of her own skills.

Puppies had good day but i did paper work the majority of the afternoon and they did not like that. They kept interpreting me. Wanted to play. They had 3 greats walks and Jordan, the older schnauzer had 4.

Digger, last year when I had a really bad chest cold I slept sitting up because it helped eliminate the coughing. It was actually very comfortable. I slept in an extra large over stuffed chair with a foot stool. I was surrounded by lots of pillows and just sank into the pillows. I slept like a baby.

I am going to bed because my eyes are tired looking at paperwork all day. I will check in tomorrow after some gardening. It was 97 degrees today so it was good being inside.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9291623

Sally, do you have arthritis? Do you take anything for it? Anti-inflammatories or anything? Nsaids? Sure sounds like arthritis to me.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

September 30, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9291624

We crossposted Sharon.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 1, 2012
5:39 AM

Post #9291827

WORMS - when you take 3 walks a day (puppies and Jordan); how far are your walks? Do you go the same way every day? Do the dogs like the familiarity of the walks (of course, new smells every day)? I have been taking Charlie on 2 walks a day plus a woods trail walk for a total of a bit over 2 miles a day (good for both of us). But I wondered if dogs get bored. If won't matter if he does get bored, I can't go out on the highway or main roads to walk - our private road is it - but I was curious. So does it take the majority of your day to walk those dogs?
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 1, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9291951

No Jen , I don't take anything for it . Part of the back is from several old injuries . Can't walk straight up any more and one knee is permanently bent a little from touch of polio when I was two yrs old .
Well , it's rained lightly all night and still at it . My four dogs went out dutifully for their devotion this morning , I had to carry the Chi , and Gracie to the yard . So funny , they act like their walking in something nasty . Tippy Toe . The westie doesn't mind getting wet at all , unless it's me wetting him . The JRT doesn't get wet , she shakes and the water just goes away .I have to bath all of them tomorrow so they will be clean for the trip Wed morning.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 1, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9292491

I have a feeling the walks are not boring because other animals/critters have traveled over the area giving new smells. Besides, they are just happy to be doing something with you.

Misty and Sky happily paddle out into the water when it rains without a care in the world. I had about 3 inches of water in the yard and they ran through it like it was not even there... as for Shiloh... a drop of water and you would think it was the end of the world! I have to force her off the edge of the patio... really funny. She does not like to get her feet wet, dirty or otherwise soiled... it is funny because she is the largest and most 'masculine' looking of the three. she is the biggest baby of all.

Bath day around here is an all day affair. It is something I both dread and look forward to because it is special mommie/baby time between each of my dogs as I work with them. It takes forever but I do enjoy the time with each of them.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9292604

Jen ARD and Gerd are the same thing. People just call them different things. Your med you take is for that also.

Nothing new here except Charle tried to eat a dead rat yesterday and I really got upset with him. You would think we do feed him. What a hog dog.

Must get going. This was a really busy day and I have things to do before I have dinner. Hugs. JB

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9292694

I sent you guys something on dogs you should look at. You too JB. I didn't have a way to post it on here or I would have, and not even a link. So, I sent it to those who I had email addresses for and if anyone else wants it, send me your email addresses on Dmail. It will really make you appreciate your little critters. jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 1, 2012
8:33 PM

Post #9293104

Stillwood, my back landscape backs on a greenbelt for the community I can go up the street or I can go down the street. There are three different entrances into the greenbelt. Then we can go down to the gold course or up to the tennis courts area. A lot of room for dog walking. I only take Jordan, the older schnauzer, up because the other way is to long for him. I try to walk him separate because it is just to stressing to take all three at one time. But occasionally I will take all three because Jordan loves to romp with the puppies. It is a short romp but in his mind it is a romp.

I would say the puppies and I probably cover 3 miles a day with three trips. Jordan and I probably do less than 1/2 mile because he is really slow. And he determines when we go home. I do not have him on a leash but I do have one with me. When he is done with his business, he will turn around and head home.

It is easier to walk them now because it is not so hot.

None of my dogs or cat want anything to do with rain or wet ground. But if the sprinklers in the park come on, they are not smart enough to get out of the water. Sharon

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9293164

Candy came in all wet the other day and I asked Bob what happened. Did he turn the hose on her and he said no, she is just like a little kid. Spotted the sprinkler and had to get in it. That surprised me 'cause we got her that pool and she wouldn't get in it for anything. jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 2, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9293563

I have the invisible fence. But its main purpose is to keep the puppies out of the pool and KOI pond area. . It also keeps them away from the back fence which is wrought iron and when they were very small, they could get their heads through the fence.

I have it in the front landscape but they are not in the front landscape unless I have them on a lease ready to go for a walk. I have a gate on both sides of the house and one in the courtyard. If I am gardening in the front landscape, they can see me from one of those fences.
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

October 8, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9299648

Hey all, are we giving up on our babies because most of them are a year old or more, :) Stories are still great at any age. No, JB, I haven't received my part of the $20 hehehe Huggs, Lee

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 8, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9299786

If you want to keep it going I have no objections. Lee, I have not found it yet. lol
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
3:28 PM

Post #9299890

Are you suggessting something JB? Gross. Did you tell the people at the bank why it was in that condition? She probably felt sorry for you cleaning it. Why she replaced it.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 9, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9300447

BRRRRRRR It went down into the 50s here last night and the heat went on in the greenhouse thank God. I love Fall and I honestly think it is my favorite time of year. I am sitting here eating blueberries, bananas and corn bread. Was lazy this morning since I only had two orders to ship and Lynn took the HPNJ deposit in so I did not have to make a special trip. Gas prices are so high that I try and save as much driving as possible. Of course they have gone down to $3.77 so maybe there is light at the end of that tunnel. Also, I am not shipping the West Coast orders because I am not sure how long they will take with yesterday being a holiday and things doubling up for today volume wise. I have a very large order going to CA , all bare root and I do not want it to sit around too many extra days because of that.

I got my laptop back yesterday and the thing works great. There was a piece of softwear that Sony put in for the Vaio Entertainment package that was keeping AOL from working properly. Has nothing to to with the things I want to use it for, so he removed it and now all works well. No charge!!! As much as he annoys me, I do love the way he treats me when it comes to paying. LOL

May we talk about Sandusky, that Penn State coach who messed with those boys over a period of 10 years. He made a tape from Jail that was aired around here yesterday and he insists he is not guilty. He is due to be sentenced today to what they expect will be Life. How can he feel, knowing they caught him in the act, that he was innocent? Is he mentally ill? Or has he just talked himself into that? It just amazes me when people will not take responsibility for their own actions. Just curious what your reaction to that tape would be.

Jen, I was not really looking for the piece of the $20; Well, not really...I was wondering if it would return in one piece but it must have digested. LOL Gross is right.

It is raining off and on again and not very pleasant a day, but it is cool and the air feels and smells clean again.
It is such a welcome change.

Hope you are all feeling better. I had no problems with that flu shot so I was lucky. Must get busy. Hugs. JB

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 9, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9300887

Good grief JB, we are in the 30s and every thing has been hit. My begonias are finally ready to bring in. Think I will leave them in the pots with the soil and put them in the pantry like that. Also the dahlias. I just don't feel like doing much.

The dr sent the results of my MRIs to me on the 2nd and I still don't have them. From south of Spokane. The mail here is so bad. I thought it was bad before, but it just keeps getting worse. I got a plant from Burpee today. They sent it on the 2nd of September and I just got it. It looks like hell. wilted and half dead. So, don't blame you for waiting. But, is it going to be any better?

Our mail lady retired and this one just bitches over every little thing. Says she is working 60 hours a week. Well, don't know why. If she got her work done on time she wouldn't have to.

We bought the car and now I forgot to run it thru Carfax. And I bought the 6 car search for $25!! Isn't that ridiculous?

Well, just waiting for them to call and tell me they are home so we can go get this one. They went to get one they bought. I hate this, and don't feel like doing it. Hopefully will wake up before I have to drive.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 10, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9301353

Oh my, you should have seen my bed about midnight. Charle went outside to do his thing...either hunt rabbits, or his dog business or play with the cats and when he came in he was soaked. He jumped up on the bed and laid down right over my chest. Scared the crap out of me and were we ever wet. Oh well, long haired dogs do that I guess. I can not get used to the long hair. I think I am allergic to it too. OHHHHHHHMYYYYYY.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9301819

Wonder how the shedding blade would do for Charle JB? It sure is nice for Candy. Bob uses it every day and she has come to love it, and it really has cut down on the hair and dander in the house. But then she is short haired. I think a couple of the people on here said they have used it. Maybe they will tell you. jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 10, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9302049

Well I combed the dogs this morning. Actually I comb the dogs just about every morning. But this morning I finally took a photo of each one of them. I tried to get one together but they would not cooperate. Schnauzers have this hair close to their skin that mats extremely easy and if you miss a day it is already there.

I gave them a bath on Sunday and Emma had tiny pebbles in her left hind paw in the folds. I cannot believe it did not bother her. They chase each other around in the back landscape every morning. They play hide and seek and then they really dig in to take off after each other so that is probably where she got the pebbles. From the crushed granite area of th back landscape.

Vern and I watched Izzy and Emma play chase and catch this morning. Emma has the invisible fence collar and Izzy does not. So Izzy would run into an area Emma could not go into and then Izzy would stop and you should have seen the look on Emma's face. It was hilarious.

Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 10, 2012
10:12 PM

Post #9302097

Sharon, you mean that one is in the invisible fence and the other isn't?? That isn't very nice. They chase each other and one gets shocked because he/she isn't used to the shock?

Well, Bob is using that shedding blade on Candy every day and it sure is nice. Really cuts down on the hair and dander in the house. Even tho she has short hair it really works nice. Now he will just have to keep it up this winter so the air in the house is fresher.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 11, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9302841

The cat does not have a collar and Emma, the dog, know where the wires are. In the beginning white flags on poles were placed where the wire was. It took them twice to add 2 and 2. White flag equals shock. They get beeped twice before they get shocked. They have not been shocked for months. I have taken down the white flags but they remember the areas they can go into and where they cannot.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 12, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9303559

Sharon, I forgot to ask you on the other thread, but my Oleander you gave me, bloomed real nice, I brought it in the house 'cause it was getting so cold outside, and it is turning yellow all the way from the bottom of the plant up about half way so far. How come? I wouldn't think it is too dry in here for it if they grow in your area. And I know they grow along the freeways in California.

jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9304682

Luckey the Mama barn cat went missing Friday night. She was gone all day yesterday. She came back this morning and was just as crazy as ever. She swats at me every chance she gets. If I reach to pet her, I get a swat, if I walk by her I get a swat. Thaf is how she plays and I worry because of her nails being so sharp. I do not need a cat scratch to get sore. LOL.

I had a pedicure yesterday. The girl was finished and I put my feet on the floor and Charle came over and smelled my foot and immediately proceeded to roll on my toes. You guessed it...they were wet and he had nail polish over his neck and face. Just had a bath too. He is just too much. Here is a pic of Lucky and Charle I took this morning.

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger         

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 14, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9304896

JBerger - how often do you bathe Charle? It seems you mention it a lot (maybe his wild antics demand frequent bathing?). How do you keep his coat from drying out? One person suggested putting an aloe gel on Charlie's coat, but I did not like it the one time I tried. Even using only a tiny bit seemed gummy to me. Charlie does not live the exciting life that your Charle does (with a barn, cats, birds, etc). He has had 4 baths since August 14th (which I thought was a lot, but seemed needed).
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 14, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9304995

Bob's mom had 2 Schiz Schuz (LOL, tried a lot of different spellings and they all looked funny, but you know what I mean), and she bathed them weekly. Way too much. Their skin dries out too. But, you can put oil in their food. Bob said eggs too. I am surprised Sharon and JB both don't have the problem of dry skin. They seem to bathe a lot too, I thought Stillwood.

Now listen to the howls. LOL, jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 14, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9305032

We bathe every six weeks. The vet has no problem with that. We use a very good medicated shampoo that both dogs seem to like and have no problem with dry skin. If you have the proper diet and supplements I think their skin can tolerate more baths. The show dogs get bathed even more frequently. You can ask your vet or google it and see what they suggest for your type dog. Every dog is different. Just like kids.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 14, 2012
8:55 PM

Post #9305461

My dogs go to the groomers every six weeks and I bath them the third week after grooming. They do not appear to have dry skin. Because they sleep with us, I cannot wait 6 weeks. I have soft water and I use good shampoo and rinse.

Jen, I do not howl, even on Halloween. I thank you all for your input.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 15, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9306078

jack Russell Terriers are without a doubt the cleanest dog I ever had. They have no doggie ordor and they keep themselves as clean as a cat. The dirt also seems to fall off of their coat quicker. The Schnauzer we have has a definite doggie order but she is a female. I do not know about the males. She too sleeps with Rob and Lynn as Charle sleeps with me and six weeks is as long as we can go between baths even with daily grooming. Then again, our dogs have big dog runs and they are outside much of the time winter and summer. When we had the hunting dogs, irish and english pointers and setters, we seldom bathed them because they got into water frequently when duck hunting and they also slept in kennels outside. They seldom had odors either.

Some people never wash their dogs but I really can not sleep with a stinky animal even on clean sheets weekly. LOL
yellow2mato
Deer Park, TX

October 15, 2012
11:54 AM

Post #9306105

JBerger, First of all, you have 2 beautiful pets. I'm curious about how you got the nail polish off of Charle. I don't have a puppy, but I have 3 cats. The 2 oldest, brother and sister, are 8 years old. The boy looks pretty much like a Maine Coon, without the tufts of hair on the tip of his ears. However, he has a lot of hair behind his ears. Since he was a kitten, I'd lick my fingers and pull the hair behind his ears to a point...then joke about him looking like a bobcat.

When he was about a year old, I saw him laying (lying ?) in my front window and he had something yellow in the edge of his ear, and the hair behind it. My first thought was that he had an ear infection in both ears, and something yellow was oozing out (gross, I know). When I started to wipe it off, I realized it was stiff. I was really puzzled. When I told my daughter, who was 11 years old at the time, she started laughing. For some reason, she put yellow hair gel in his hair. If I had found it quick enough, I think I could have just washed it out. However, it was dry and so thick that it wouldn't come out with just water. I'd pick out a little at a time, trying not to pull out any hair. Most of it just wore away over the next several weeks, I guess when he would rub his head against something or rub his head when bathing himself. The bad thing was that it took away most of the hair behind his ears, so no more bobcat. It took several years, but it finally all grew back.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 15, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9306420

JBerger - my Charlie (Toy Fox Terrier) is also very clean. He licks his paws and legs like a cat (doesn't wash his face). This is good as he sometimes hits his legs when peeing. Then he washes himself - never any odor from that. If I get even a whiff of doggy smell, I brush some baby powder into his coat and out again. This freshens him up. He does not sleep with us, so that is not an issue. Two of the baths I gave were because I found a flea on him when we were visiting elsewhere, so I got it off and bathed him. This last bath was because he went to the beach with us and I thought the salt water might be bad for his coat and gave him a good bath when we got home. I enjoyed our Charle's facebook pictures when he is so fresh from being bathed.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 16, 2012
8:34 AM

Post #9306980

OMG Yellow hair gel. That is hysterical and on a cat. My Lucky will not let me touch her much less take something off her hair. The old fat cat will let me groom him a few minutes at a time, then off he goes too. Feral cats are so different than the domestic ones. I am allergic to cats too. LOL

I have a comb that is called a shedding comb...has a razorlike edge and it worked very well with the nailpolish.
It took a few times but it is gone. I must get some weight off of Charle, he eats everything in sight if he is hungry. Paper, wood, grass, snails, bugs, you name it and he eats it. He gets two meals a day . The Wellness weight diet dry food for overweight dogs, one meal he gets 1 tsp. of canned Wellness dog food. Other than that he gets carrots, broccoli, apple and peas as a treat plus his Wellness treats when he is really good. I must stop giving him people food, which when I am having a bagel, he gets a tiny bite or two...but I guess that is what puts the weight on him. I have the vet coming next month for his shots and check up and I know she is going to flip out when we weigh him. I do not like chubby animals. It is not healthy and like humans, it causes so many other problems if not taken care of early.
I must run now. Be good to yourself and hug your animals. Jb

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 16, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9307152

We have been having a food issue with Charlie Harley here. He decided he no longer wanted to eat any kibble. He was supposed to be eating wet food in the morning and only kibble in the evening – that was his diet for the first year of his life with his breeder momn. We got him 8/14 (age 13 months) and after only a month with us, he decided no more kibble! I finally am having to really crack down. For the last 4 days I feed him in the morning as usual and then as suppertime put down his kibble. If he doesn’t eat it, that’s all until the next morning. He has not been eating it and I have been having to really struggle not to weaken as he looks at me so sadly as I eat “all the good stuff” and he only has dry kibble in his bowl. My DH has been laughing as how for the last few years I was so quick to judge my children when the grandchildren are so picky – “just let them go hungry for a meal and they’ll stop that nonsense”! Obviously, that excellent advice is not so excellent when we are discussing my little Charlie! But I am trying and he finally ate a bit of kibble, with sad looks the whole time. If I can hold out, we will get him back on the right track. It is so easy to want to feed the little fellow tidbits of tasty food. But I know it is not good for him. I will also completely lose what little credibility I have with my grown children if I spoil him.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 17, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9307849

Why not mix the kibble and the wet food together?????Same amounts only twice a day. Add a little warm water and put it on a paper plate. I know it sounds crazy but they go through this sometimes and you need to try different methods to trick them. LOL. Good luck. JB

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 17, 2012
4:28 PM

Post #9308276

I did as you suggested tonight and gave him a bit of canned food with the kibble well mixed in so he could not eat the wet food without getting the kibble. He ate most of it - kibble and all. So for breakfast tomorrow, I will do the same - half of the daily canned food with kibble mixed in. Tell me something - why do you suggest serving on a paper plate? Does that have some significance as opposed to using his regular ceramic bowl?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 17, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9308411

Yes, that was a strange instruction JB??? A paper plate yet??? jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 18, 2012
8:11 AM

Post #9308822

I use foam plates so I can toss them and my pooches always have a clean dish , no washing after . Cheaper than Dawn .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 18, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9308929

LOL, Candy would have that foam plate all over the yard. She now has a dryer sheet I dropped, torn up all over the house.

I thought just the change might make her want to eat it. Different.

She knows her dish, but she is tired of her food too Stillwood. She is not eating it all. Actually, not much at all. But, she is not losing weight. Think maybe we are giving her too much of ours. One of us doesn't realize how much the other is giving her maybe.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 18, 2012
10:39 AM

Post #9308931

I have found that some dogs get bored or can not clean up their food in a round bowl (this would depend on how the bowl is made of course) so, just for a change and to see if they eat everything, I put it on a small lunch size paper plate, pop it in the microwave for a few seconds and he thinks he has people food. You must be careful it is not too hot. It is not necessary but when you have a sick or picky eater dog you get creative believe me.

My daughter also uses paper plates so she does not have to wash the dog dish each time. It is just something some people do. The foam does not work for me because it does not digest as quickly as paper and my dogs have the nasty habit of wanting to eat the plate too. LOL.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

October 20, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9310642

Thank goodness mine don't eat the plates .

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 27, 2012
8:04 AM

Post #9316870

Sharon - I know this must have been discussed early on in the thread (at least a year a go); but I'm curious anyway. What made you decide to get 2 puppies? Were they so cute you could not decide between them or did you start out looking for a set? They are beautiful dogs and I know you are glad you have them. But the work must have been difficult with two for the first year.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
9:44 AM

Post #9316953

LOL, think they are so little it takes 2 to make a whole dog. LOL, just had to say it Stillwood.

Are you ready for the storm?? Jen

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 27, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9317114

Jen - actually they look like giants compared to my 5 lb Toy Fox Terrier - 2 of them seems like more than I could handle.
We are not looking for THE STORM to cause us any real trouble - maybe some rain and wind - but we are in the middle of the state, not on the coast. It appears the folks farther north will catch the worst, if it materializes as the weathermen are speculating.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9317266

That's good. The weather map we saw said it was going to be the worst inland. So, do hope it misses you.

I think the thing about having 2 dogs is that they keep each other active. Candy looks real bored sometimes. We don't play enough with her, and it looks like it will get worse if we get a lot of snow and ice like we had last year. I sure do hope not.

This computer acts like it is going to drop this so will quit. Stay warm.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 27, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9317521

We have always had two dogs at the same time. This is our third set of schnauzers. The two before were cousins. These two are brother & sister. We did not even see a photo. Top breeder and you got what she wanted you to get. They do not know who will be a champion until they are close to 3 months old. So you get whoever was rejected. We were not looking for a champion, just a good schnauzer.

And yes, you are correct. The first 4 months were hell. I forgot how hard potty training was. I am still working on them meeting other dogs in the park. They go nuts. I am going to take them to a dog park tomorrow and see if that helps.

But at least I could take my puppies outside. Poor Jen was stuck in the snow trying to take care of a much larger puppy.
My daughter thought we had lost our minds but they are delightful. And we also got a new cat at th same time but that ended up being a great timing issue because thy all three play together.

Talk to you soon. Everyone in the way of the storm, stay safe. Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 27, 2012
10:18 PM

Post #9317539

Sharon, I think that is very smart getting 2 at the same time. I wish we had another one for Candy, but don't know how we would do it with 2 big dogs. Not that the other one had to be as big as she is. I mentioned it to Bob and he about fainted. Now, if it were spring coming up, it would be different. But not winter. Don't know how she will do. We don't have a problem now with her pooping or peeing in the house. But come winter with the snow and ice right outside the door and deep, I don't know. 'course, it won't be as if it is an overnight thing. It will be gradual so she can get used to it easily.

Nite Sharon. jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 28, 2012
9:48 AM

Post #9317922

Yes, having two is a definite plus...thank God I have Missy to keep Charle company. They love each other and play really nice together. She is older so she keeps him under wraps. She goes out in Charle's yard and he goes out in her yard. But, she has a bad back and she can not get up the first step in Charle's yard so she sits at the bottom of the steps and waits for him to come get me to help her in. It is so funny. Gotta go for now. JB
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 28, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9317962

Very cute about Charle coming to get you to help her JB. Animals are a trip aren't they? Jen

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 30, 2012
1:57 PM

Post #9320381

Everybody - what is your chosen wet food for your doggies? I know they love raw chicken and beef, etc. But if you need to use canned (as when traveling), what to they like? Charlie does not seem to like anything except his raw meat - if I just don't give him anything for several meals, he will finally break down and lick at Wilderness, Blue, etc. But he is not enthusiastic. What do you use when you don't have the time to cook for them?
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9320523

Stillwood, Bob mixes Candy's canned food, Pedigree, with her crunchies, Purina, dry food. He heats the canned, which has gravy in it, in the microwave and then adds the dry food. He thinks the dry gives her some roughage.

jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

October 30, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9320688

Our dogs only get dry food. No canned food and no people food. That is no people food unless Vern slip them something. The Vet and breeder both said the wet food just caused to many problems. The breeder suggested the raw food occasionally and I checked it out but decided not to go forward with it. They seem to be fine.

I used to give them treat when we went to bed, but they got totally out of control over the treats, so I stopped them. But they still get their raw yellow, red and orange peppers. Even Jordan, the older schnauzer, has started eating the peppers.

Sharon
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
8:30 PM

Post #9320704

I think we all agree that the dogs love raw vegetables. Candy's vet said if she is still hungry after she eats, to give her string beans. I take them out of the frozen ones and she loves them. Like a Beancicle. LOL Raw carrots, all that stuff. dogs love them. They make good treats. Not regular meals.

All vets are different. We were only giving Candy dry food and the vet was so proud of herself she told us "She ate canned food and loved it". Go figure.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

October 31, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9320860

Jnette: ? The vet ate canned food?? I must be misreading this.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

October 31, 2012
8:33 AM

Post #9321066

Hi everyone, I am not able to answer all the posts, just want to say hi from me and Charle. We have a string of people coming here for water and other supplies and just to hang out in my daughters side of the house to keep warm because they have no water or heat.

Charle kept running in and out and digging in mud during the entire Hurricane. I was totally exhausted just wiping his feet. He was so funny and we all are so sad. This storm really nearly took NJ off the map. We were so lucky.
So many of our friends have lost everything. Their houses are down or floated out to the streets. It was like nothing I have ever seen. You sit and watch the TV and find yourself crying for people you do not even know.
I have to go someone wants a chain saw and I need to get it. Bye.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
10:34 AM

Post #9321170

No Stillwood. She gave some to Candy when she had her for something. I don't know why she thought Candy wouldn't eat canned food if we gave it to her. I know dogs will eat it. We had not wanted Candy on it because I think it is fattening.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

October 31, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9321254

Good to hear that you are safe and made it through the storm ... also good you are in a position to be able to help your friends and neighbors who were not so lucky. I also have watched so much on the news.. it is heartbreaking. We recently went through fires in our neighborhood in New Mexico this summer and had friends lose their homes... the feelings you will go through will sometimes be overwhelming. You feel lucky, guilty, happy, sad and everything in between all at once. All you can do is help wherever you can and support those around you.

My best wishes to you and all you have contact with... we are here for you.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

October 31, 2012
8:36 PM

Post #9321626

It is nice to have friends and people we can talk to. Jen

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

December 11, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9355745

I am now facing one of the down sides of having pets – worry about them. My little Toy Fox Terrier, Charlie was scheduled for some dental work of having retained baby teeth removed (I was already stressing over that). I had taken him to a new vet service as I was not happy with the one I had used for years (before my last dog died in 2007) as the older vet facility has changed and deteriorated. I really like the new outfit and the new vet we visited on 12/1. She drew blood to do a workup to get baseline readings and to be sure he could safely handle anesthetic. Today she called and said she was concerned as one of his liver enzymes is quite elevated – gave me a lot of information about liver situations and was reassuring that he is not ill (yet) and says things are early. There was a lot to absorb and I am not sure I got it all. But the upshot is that she scheduled him to go in tomorrow (Wednesday) for a bile acid test to see how well his liver is functioning (she kept saying he appears quite healthy, but those two enzymes should not be so high for a young dog). I have to fast him overnight and drop him off about 8 AM. They will draw blood, feed him, wait 2 hours, and draw blood again. She said that should give some information as to how well the liver is functioning. Then we will see if anything needs to be done – just waiting and watching, medication, diet, etc. I know I am jumping way ahead with worst case scenarios.
But I really, really hate this aspect of having a pet. It is like having a young child who cannot understand what is happening and is just afraid. Adult humans can understand why you are at a doctor’s office and why something is being done. A little dog (like a little child) is just afraid. I realize it is my problem to deal with this and will do so. But I guess I did not expect to have to deal with it so soon (until he began to age). It will have to be dealt with – I can’t just ignore it and pretend the situation does not exist. But I hate it (I know everyone else does with their pets)!

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 11, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9355792

I feel sure she will just put him on a low fat diet (if the liver enzymes are elevated) and that will mean cooking off chicken, etc. The dog can live for many years on a good diet. My Barney (Jack Russell) lived to be nearly 14 with a liver problem from the time he was only a year old. It is more work for you but you seem to love animals as I do and what is just more cooking to do as long as it helps the dog. I cooked off prudue boneless and skinless chicken breasts for years...that gets expensive but it is important that the fat is not there. Rice, pasta and chicken. LOL.
Good luck and I will say a prayer for the little guy. Hugs to you. JB

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

December 11, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9355814

JB - thanks for the encouraging words. I would not mind a bit cooking for him - I actually already do that - chicken and beef - to supplement canned food. If I need to cook chicken (less fat than beef) every day - that is fine. I'll let you know what Dr. Silverstein says when things develop. I;m afraid I always expect the worst (DH has always said I am the pessimist in the family). It is hard for me to just wait and see - poor character, I suppose. Anyway, thanks again for sharing your experience with Barney.
LhasaLover
(Tammie) Odessa, TX
(Zone 7b)

December 11, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9355854

How old is Charlie? Some dogs livers do not mature for quite a while. I know my Lhasa, Sky had a slow maturing liver and had problems with anesthesia because of it but she is 12 now and perfectly fine. The real problem was they had to go light on the anesthesia and it too FOREVER for her to fully come out of it. She has only eaten healthy dog food her entire life.. rarely an occasional beef bone from a steak shared with the others. Regular dog treats and lots of love.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
5:28 PM

Post #9355880

JB, what does that mean, " I cooked off prudue boneless and skinless chicken breasts for years." What is prudue? A brand?

I actually used to enjoy making the dogs food. Rice, boned and skinned chicken, frozen vegetables, string beans, carrots, and peas, 2 lbs of each, and a dozen eggs. I made a roaster full at a time and portioned it out to fit bread loaf pans. Bob mixed dry dog food in with it when he fixed their dinner. I would freeze them and he took them out one loaf pan at a time. We had 2 big dogs eating from it and it lasted about a week to 10 days.

I don't know why you have to cook it every day Stillwood. That is what freezers are for.

You should use my motto: "Don't worry until you know you have something to worry about." Works for me but

Please let us know what the Vet says tomorrow. Jen
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 11, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9355881

Jen, sounds like what I taught my son in some sticky situations ." It isn't time to worry yet ".

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

December 11, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9355930

Jen - yes - freezer! Not thinking straight no! Over the last several months I have cooked chicken and beef for him and froze individual servings. So it would just mean doing this on a regular schedule instead of relying on canned food. Actually it would be a relief if nutrition is what is prescribed and not medication, etc. But you are right - I'm getting ahead of myself. I'll update when something is decided. Thanks to all for thinking of little Charlie and me! Bye the way - Tammy - Charlie is a bit over a year (born 07/19/2011).
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 11, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9356086

Good one Sally. How are you doing? Are you in Texas now? What projects are you working on? Nice to hear from you. Keep us posted what you are doing.

In case you don't know, Russ bought a tiny car to be delivered today. Good on gas I guess. Hope he can get in it. LOl.

Are you doing any fishing now? J

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

December 12, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9356251

Jen, Prudue is a brand of chicken, top quality so they say, they feed their chickens only marigolds and grain. Yes, marigolds...don't ask, I do not know. And yes of course if you want to freeze it no problem, I just felt it was easier for me to cook it off every three days. It only took a few minutes. We tried all sorts of canned prescription foods but none worked as well as the plain chicken. I feel sure he will be just fine with a few minor changes in his diet.
Charle sends his love to Charlie.

I have friends who cook their dog stew and freeze a month supply at a time. That is so great. I am so lucky this time around. Charle eats only Wellness dry dog food and it is the one to watch his weight. He tends to get chubby, like mommy. Of course he loves bagels, pizza and anything else that does not move. So what can I say?

I would not do red meat for your Charlie unless the vet says so. That was one thing I had to stay away from for Barney's Liver problem. I did turkey a few times but the vet was very funny about just white meat of chicken for some reason with no skin. I used to cook the rice and pasta in the chicken broth from the chicken, then I realized it soaked up all the fat in the chicken and that made a difference. Just thoughts I am passing on in the event you may need them.

Today is Chiropractor and Hair day, so off I go and I do wish you all have a wonderful day. JB

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 12, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9356334

JB , the marigold is only for color . The consumer thinks yellow fat looks healthier . Not so .When we were trucking , we had a hot (flash ) load of three 55 gal drums to deliver somewhere up north . I don't remember where , it's been too long.That pollen is more expensive than gold and of course the price of the chickens is a little higher because of it .We were paid a large bonus for getting it there on time so that it could be processed into the food the next day .I didn't drive at that time but had to stay awake to keep my at the time, D H awake. That's another evil of the job , not enough sleep , rigged log books , and of course we had been awake all day before starting the 30 hour trip .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 12, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9356394

:0) Sally, you were driving around with 3 drums of coloring for the chickens? I would not be a truck driver for anything. Many, many years ago my uncle drove gas tankers to Alaska. Years before a good AlCan highway. I was too young to get much of the facts, but from things I have read since then, vehicles drove on the ice floes or whatever. Can you imagine? Those full tankers had to be pretty heavy. LOL, even empty ones would be.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 13, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9357082

Jen , I love the road better than anything and miss it so much even after these last 25 years . I've seen all the USA except one or two states in the north east . My second D H pulled and set up mobile homes all across the USA,and I went with him too . I've met people from every walk of life , good and bad , from those experiences, and what God put on this earth in N America is the best education in people , history , geography ,a little geology ,native animals , than could ever be had in a schoolroom.Indian reservations both north and south ,Snoqualmie Pass going west with chains in the end of a snow storm ,the spot that Washington crossed the Delaware , the OK Corral .I even saw the opium dens the Chinese built in the woods north of Olney ,Mt . while they were building the railroad .I have memories that most people will never know and trucking gave them to me . Way too much to write down .I would never want to drive a truck hauling fuel in Alaska tho , pulling a small camper would work for me .Alaska is the only state in the west that I'd like to see . Hawaii doesn't hold any interest for me , except the flora and fauna.
Not much fishing , more building .
Don't see Russ on the forums I've visited lately , need to look him up .
Way OT and am sorry , just got started and the memories washed over me .
My dogs have frozen venison neck bones in the freezer to chew on for the teeth and meat treat too .

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

December 13, 2012
1:31 PM

Post #9357472

Just an update on Charlie . We got some encouraging news today from the vet. The acid bile test showed a bit high, but not scarily so. She said it is good that it indicates there is no question of an anatomical issue that would require surgery. She is giving him amoxicillin for a month as inflammation (infection) can cause elevated enzymes. This is therapeutic only since it is hard to know if this is the cause for the elevated enzymes, but it is a prudent step. Also, she gave me some nutritional supplements that boost regeneration of liver cells (the liver is known for regenerating its own cells). I talked to her about diet and she said right now it is fine to feed Newman and Merrick, but really fine to cook chicken breast, etc. (as JB recommended). A month from now she will run a blood screen again and see what, if anything, is changed. She seemed a bit surprised that pet owners will “bother” to cook for their animals (we cook for our husbands; why not for the animals who are much easier to get along with!!). So I will give him that antibiotic and supplements and follow JB's advice on diet. I hope this will result in a good blood screen in January - we will see.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

December 13, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9357480

Sally, you have probably seen more of this country than most people will ever see. I always said there is no reason to go to a foreign country when there is so much to see in our own country and so many people go to them without ever seeing ours. Isn't that a shame?

You should write to Russ, he just got a new car delivered Tuesday. He is going to try to get pictures tomorrow to send.

Stillwood, sounds like you are on the right track and so glad it is nothing that would require more drastic measures. Wonder why the vet was so surprised people cook for their animals. Funny crack about cooking for the husbands. :0) Yes, keep us posted.
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

December 14, 2012
7:29 AM

Post #9357965

Yeah , cook for them , they don't talk back . LOL
Glad Charlie has a loving owner to see after his health issues . So many aren't that fortunate.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

January 25, 2013
6:32 AM

Post #9397051

Lee and everybody - thanks for asking about Charlie and his situation. The vet put him on amoxicillin for a month and then did another blood screen this week. The amoxicillin was in case there was an infection causing his high liver enzymes. The new numbers are still not normal, but better. The main one is the ALT which went from 491 to 306 (normal is 5-107). Still high. The AST and GGT are at the top of the normal range, but better than before). So Dr. Silverstein says not bacterial infection. She says could be microvascular dysplasia (could be inherited defect), but not a major shunt which would be bad and require surgery. The next steps could be an ultrasound and a liver biopsy, but I am not ready for these steps. I decided (correct or not) to proceed with his nutritional supplements (particularly Denamarin) and "watchful waiting". He has no clinical signs of illness and has actually developed a healthy appetite for Merrick Turducken and Merrick dry kibble (earlier he would not eat any kind of kibble). Money is a bit of an issue, but mainly the fact that I tend to distrust more and more intrusive tests chasing a diagnosis. We are going to go ahead with the dental work on 2/1 to remove the retained baby teeth as keeping his mouth healthy (as it is now) is a prime goal for these toy dogs. She says the liver situation does not make it any more dangerous to use anesthesia (always a bit risky on these little guys).

So now I will start worrying until that procedure is over, but I do feel it should be done. After that we will go along and have another blood screen in a few months to see what is happening (assuming he appears to continue appearing well). Keep your fingers crossed for Charlie (and me). JB sent me some good information about diet that I am trying to follow. I really appreciated her help and all your concern.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 25, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9397282

My gosh Stillwood, I'll bet your husband is ready to either run away from home himself, or run you and Charlie both off. :0) just kidding, but those vet bills are not fun.

I sure wouldn't do anything if he is feeling good and you can normally tell by the appetite. Sometimes the more you do with them, just like people, you will be sure to find something.

Glad to hear from you tho, been wondering what happened. Jen

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 25, 2013
11:55 AM

Post #9397300

Hi Stillwood and Charlie...Jen just mentioned your name yesterday. You must have caught our vibs!!! That is really good news considering what you are dealing with. I am sure Charlie will live a long life with all the good care you are taking to keep him healthy. Money became a problem with me too with Barney. That is why I decided to go with the healthy lifestyle and see what God had in mind. He lived to be nearly 14. Enjoy him while you can and just relax. I used to stress out big time over him and it is always on your mind but worrying does not make it better. :)

Please send us pictures soon. Hugs and big smooches to Charlie. JB
leebauch
Miles City, MT
(Zone 3b)

January 25, 2013
2:18 PM

Post #9397478

I too, am so glad for the update on Charlie. I agree with Jen and JB, watchful waiting seems to bein order. "if it ain't broke, don't push it" He is such a good looking baby, would hate to see him sick. Keep us up to date, we all worry about each of our babies. You aren't alone.Huggs, Lee

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

January 27, 2013
5:03 AM

Post #9398840

I was out early this morning tramping around with Charlie in the ice-covered grass and saying "Hurry up, please - potty" while he was sniffing around, tasting ice balls, and barking back at dogs in the distance (whose barks really carried in the cold air - 22 degrees)! I started thinking about (trying to think about something besides how cold I was) your puppies last winter and your experiences house breaking a dog in the cold and snow (or even 2 pups at a time). Can you folks remember all that? How is it going this winter? Are your dogs surprised that it got cold again? Charlie cooperates, but he was puzzled by the snow and (mostly) ice. He wants to go out to walk so bad as it was a daily habit twice a day and for a week we have not done it. It is going to get up to 44 today and as soon as the ice finishes melting off the gravel road, we will go for a short walk (it is 26 degrees now). The temperatures are not really the problem (unless it is sleeting or very windy), but for 3 days it has been slick and dangerous to walk on. How is it going with the OLD pups?

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

January 27, 2013

Post #9399054

This is Charle's first birthday picture taken May of 2012. He is fatter now but just as cute.
He loves cold weather and snow and runs, rolls and plays outside all the time, wiping off the feet gets to be a pain in the butt, and when he rolls in the snow it is just a mess because it freezes on his feathers on his legs.

Thanks for asking. If you are on Facebook you can see Charle's activities daily because he is still a wild and crazy little dog. He is so smart and such a great companion, but he is a devil dog and knows how to pull my chain. His page is called Here Comes Charle and it is one of my pages Jacquie Beyer Berger if you want to check it out. He has quite a following. LOL

Thumbnail by JBerger

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

January 27, 2013
4:33 PM

Post #9399415

Yes - JB - I dislike Facebook and in the past only looked to see my grandchildren. But months ago I did find out about Here Comes Charle and have thoroughly enjoyed it since - like chewing your socks, dead birds, rolling in mud, and (the latest) hitting you on the nose with his ball! Even my DH has asked about the latest escapades! Please tell Charle to keep up his adventures as they are a source of great amusement to all (except maybe yourself)!
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

January 27, 2013
10:08 PM

Post #9399687

Stillwood, JB just likes to complain. That is half the fun of Charle. He's a cute little critter isn't he.

Candy is not crazy about the snow, especially when she walks out in where Bob hasn't plowed. It is up to her belly and she doesn't like that. But, he keeps a nice big place where she can pick anywhere she wants to go potty.

At least she is house broken this year. That is nice. She loves being outside with Bob. He says she helps a lot when he is working. Shoveling snow or whatever.

Those temps do sound cold for you. Our night time etemps have been hovering just above zero for quite a while. But, it finally got up to around 42 degrees a couple days ago, so that helps the snow melt a little but it only lasted the one day and then froze again.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 22, 2013
10:51 PM

Post #9458734

Wow, it has been forever since any of us have been on here.

This is the latest photo of Izzy. She has grown in to an adorable, very long cat. She likes to play "Where's Izzy". Still plays with the puppies who are now 1 1/2 years old and goes on our walks to the park every day.

All three sleep on our bed at night. I will get photos of the dogs tomorrow. I will get a photo of the three of them together. She is just about as big as the schnauzers. The vet says she is not overweight because she is so long. They weigh between 3 and 4 pounds more than she does.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon   Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon      

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

March 23, 2013
1:00 PM

Post #9459247

Well - I will update about Charlie. He has settled in and taken over. It turns out we will not be leaving him in a kennel (I know - that is not what I said before we got him). He is too cute, too little, and too loving! JB and everyone who suggested it would not be a good idea - NOW I agree with you completely. It is always humbling to have to eat your words, but I am doing so. I need to find a kennel that I could use if there was a real emergency and have scheduled a visit to my new vet's boarding kennel just to know what is available. But I hope it is never necessary - he would be so scared! He travels well (we have taken him on several trips) and will be going with us. Fortunately, neither of us have much desire to do so much traveling as we used to (regardless of Charlie). We seem to enjoy more doing things here now and not dealing with all the travel hassles that exist in airports, etc.

Charlie is a smart little fellow and is well behaved (with one exception). He is a bit too familiar with guests (loving their legs) and I have to interfere. Their laughing about it just encourages him (he is funny, but I know that is not socially acceptable)! So we are working on diversion training (correcting and distracting). He is such a dear little one!

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 23, 2013
2:27 PM

Post #9459329

Thank goodness .
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
4:37 PM

Post #9459439

Stillwood, have you asked anyone, vet, etc. about how to change that habit? Just curious. When I was having a problem with my cat I googled and asked how to stop it, got a lot of advice, but nothing has worked so far. But, did get responses. Someone out there knows.

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

March 23, 2013
4:48 PM

Post #9459460

I have been reading lots about it and most seem to say: first, this is natural behavior for a young, intact male (age equivalent to a 20 year old human male) and not to be particularly disturbed by it (I am not disturbed at all - can't say the same for my DIL). The books say not to punish (I would not have done that anyway); but to distract and divert to an acceptable behavior. One I read today said to remember that dogs are not little humans in spite of the way we think of them. If Charlie was a big old hound, it might be a real problem. But he is small (5 1/2 pounds) and it is simple to pick him up or divert him otherwise. He spent part of the weekend with our son's toy poodle and kept jumping on her (she is spayed), but she did not seem to care. Every time he wandered off, she went after him and started it all over. They rolled around and she would bite at his legs and jump around - all in play. He seems to hump mostly as the only way he knows to wrestle and play. So - it is an activity I am working on, but I refuse to get up tight about it. He is a sweet little fellow. Not long ago he met a neighbor dog that I allowed to get close (another small one). She is older and when he jumped on her, she turned around quickly, snapped gently, and said (in dog talk) - knock it off! He did immediately.
Jnette
Northeast, WA
(Zone 5a)

March 23, 2013
6:58 PM

Post #9459580

That is funny. But, let me ask, why have you not had him neutered? I know some folks just don't believe in it. Not for me to reason why. I guess. Jen
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 23, 2013
10:50 PM

Post #9459739

Cecil has tried that with Emma a few times but she also tells him to knock it off.

One thing that Cecil has been doing is absolutely hilarious. This last two weeks I have added brussel sprouts to their chopped vegetables. I think that is causing him a little bit of gas distress. When he passes gas, he is usually lying by me. He jumps up and looks back at the area in wonderment. And he keeps looking and looking. In about 45 seconds, Vern & I are laughing out loud. We think he thinks it's a snake.

At least one of the three animals make us laugh out loud every day.

Jen, how is Candy doing?

We have alays been told it is best to have the male neutered to keep them healthy later.

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
8:26 AM

Post #9459984

Good morning everyone, saw the thread has been active and thought I should stop in and say Hi. This has been quite a journey with these puppies, to think Charle will be two (14 in doggie years), he is still being a devil but I would not trade him for anything. He has a chewing habit that must soon stop or I will run out of money replacing all the damage. ☺

Stillwood I gather when you say Charlie "loves" legs, he is "humping" not biting? The Vet uses the term humping which basically is ok and not considered "bad" language for those on DG who may think otherwise. My first Jack Russell terrier was "cut" at a young age and as he got older he would hump his little cover he carried around. I thought it was a one time thing but as he got older he kept doing it but only when I had company. Nothing more embarrassing than a house full of guests and your dog is humping his cubbie in the middle of the room. Oh God I tried everything even taking the cubby, but he would find a way. Unfortunately the vet said maybe, just maybe the operation did not do a "complete job" in taking away his manhood as he grew older. I know this is not what you want to hear, but he was put to sleep at nine with Rocky Mt. Spotted Fever and he was still doing his thing with whatever he could find...only when I had company. True story so help me.
I have never had a dog ever do that again. If I would even see Barney get in a position where he might be tempted, I would move him quickly. But he never did it and never would even look like he wanted to try. It is not just a terrier thing, we had a chow who would do it and eventually we had him put down because of his nasty temperament.

Back to the other puppers who are growing like little weeds. How are the Schnauzers? We need pictures guys and gals...here is Charle getting into the laundry trying to find socks to hide and chew. He loves to get on the bed and dig in the clean laundry for socks.

Beautiful cat Sharon. I am not a cat person anymore...allergies...but I do appreciate them.
Enjoy your pets, have a great day.

Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   Thumbnail by JBerger   

stillwood

stillwood
Franklinton, NC

March 24, 2013
12:06 PM

Post #9460254

Yes - JB - he is humping. He was an adult when we got him last August. It seems to be the way he knows to communicate at first. With adults, if verbally corrected and distracted, he is fine and goes onto other things. The children laugh and encourage it - so I think I will have to be more forceful with them, explaining that we don't want Charlie to do this so much and need to encourage him to play with his toys instead of "your leg". He means no harm and it does not particularly bother me - people do some yucky things also and we don't cut it all off on that account (although maybe we should!). Since he is so small and can be picked up and removed from the scene if someone is really bothered by it, I don't see it as a major problem - such as biting would be. Now that he has settled in so well with us, eats well, and has learned several obedience commands, we will concentrate on this behavior and see if it can be modified. If he lives to a ripe old age (and I hope so - remember his liver problems), if this is the worst thing he ever does, so be it.

I did not know dogs could contract RMSF. That is very interesting and bit worrying, since we live in tick heaven. I laughed about your Jack Russell doing "his thing" only when company was there - maybe he liked their and your reactions and simply could not resist. Another explanation may be that he felt insecure around others and this was his "comfort action". Who knows? But I am sure it did not diminish your love for him one bit. Charlie's temperament is great - he is loving to us and accepting (although reserved) around other family members and visitors. This is a small challenge compared to worrying about liver problems, etc.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 24, 2013
12:16 PM

Post #9460266

Charlie looks beautiful.

Cecil and Emma are great. If I am puttying around the house or garden, whenever I am active, they never sit or lay down. Occasionally they will lay down near where I am working but they are always watching. When I am up and around it is usually for 4 or 5 hours.

I usually end what I am doing right around 4pm. Then I take them for their walk and then we all sit down to watch the evening news. It takes them about 20 seconds to conk out for a couple of hours.

Cecil likes to bit blooms off of plants and chew up used plant containers. They both are always eating a long piece of vine or tree limb. Then it gets stuck in their butt. Then I am running around on our walk trying to catch them and pull it out. One of the reasons I wear medical gloves on our walks.

They have a new visitor now every day around 2pm. A neighbor got a new dog. Small white puff ball, female, named Bordon. Some place in France. This little white puff of a puppy is about 8 months old and is the aggressor and loves to play. When his mommie want her to leave, she lays down on the driveway and refuses to leave.

JB, thanks for checking in. Would you please start a new thread.

I am cooking a prime rib today. Giving the meat to our daughter for her and her family. Just cooking it so the dogs can have the bones. They are still working on two from the other part of the roast that we had for Christmas. The roast was so big, we cut it in half and froze this part.

Happy Passover to any of our Jewish dogs or animals on here. Hugs, Sharon

digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 24, 2013
12:18 PM

Post #9460268

When I posted "Thank goodness ", above, I was referring to not leaving Charlie in a kennel unless an emergency . Sorry if it sounded harsh .
Most all dogs will hump , male or female . It is a show of dominance sometimes . Don't know if you can correct it , only interrupt it . Age seems to slow it down on all the dogs I've had . Who wants to wait 7 or8 years ?My female chihuahua does it to my female Jack R . Lucy can't stand for the J R to play with "her" Westie male .She jumps in and barks, rides and otherwise tries to interrupt the horseplay . That's the only time she does it . Ooooon the other hand , the Westie has a different approach , he spreads his back legs with his belly on the ground and rubs back and forth while greeting you or anyone else that comes by . He'll do that when he wants something too . A treat or outside , tail wagging all the while . It's hilarious . don't know if it's what it looks like or if he's just being coy with anyone . I would never holler at him for it because he would think I was mad at him and it's a friendly thing , like he's doing that instead of jumping up on you .
When I come back into the yard after going to town or an absence of ten minutes , he does that , and the chihuahua plants her front feet in one place then spins around and around with the back feet moving her in a circle. The JR just gets under my feet and the old dog , Gracie , part Yorkie , dances ahead , leading me to the front door .
The sound I make to stop the hump behavior , or undesirable antics is , iiiiiiiaaaannnnnt , in a gravel tone . Can't spell a sound , but that'll get you close . The dogs know what it means and it stops them in their tracks .
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 24, 2013
12:20 PM

Post #9460271

Cross post Stillwood.
WormsLovSharon
Las Vegas, NV

March 24, 2013
12:29 PM

Post #9460283

digger, I did not take your comment as negative. You never do not feel welcome when you come home to your dogs.

I use a hissing sound with Cecil when he is doing something I feel he should not b doing. It stops him in his tracks. Does not effect Emma one bit.

Both of them have watched the cat and grew up with the cat and now they think thy can act like a cat. They will run toward the couch, take off across the top of the back of the couch and then take a leap off. They are usually doing this when they are playing. I am sure when we have the family reunion here next weekend, I will get some comments from my relatives. If we forget and leave a chair pulled out at the morning table, Cecil will be found up there looking to see if anything is left on the table. I am trying to stop that behavior.

Have a great day. Beautiful weather here. Sharon
digger9083
Dahlonega, GA

March 24, 2013
12:36 PM

Post #9460288

Squirt bottle works good too .I used that at one time and all I had to do was pick it up .

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9460310

It is such fun to hear about what has been going on or has gone on over the years. They are all so loved, what the H does it matter if they have a bad habit or two. I know, we should have perfect dogs since we all are so perfect, but then, that ain't gonna happen. I feel that if people do not like my pets, they do not need to visit me. Nothing wrong with me???????☺

Sharon, I used to have to pull out those knee high nylon socks. That is such a mess. Thank God for medical gloves. I use them most of the time but I never thought of taking a walk with them on. Great idea. Thanks.

Sounds like you need a new thread. Sorry I have been neglecting you. I will do that as soon as I have a second.

By all means Happy Passover to all our Jewish friends and animals. This year has really gone too fast. Time flies when you get old and keep busy and live one day at a time.

It has been fun talking to you all, don't stay away so long, we are always here to say Hi and chat or share something funny or even something sad if needed. Hug those animals for Charle and me and have a wonderful evening. JB

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

March 24, 2013
1:19 PM

Post #9460323

Put those leashes on and pack up the medical gloves, we are off to the new location. Better do it now before the weather changes and we get busy.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303960/

I hope you all find time to check in so we are sure we do not loose any of our friends or animals.

This message was edited Mar 24, 2013 3:25 PM
Jazzpunkin
Springfield, OH
(Zone 5b)

May 31, 2013
1:41 PM

Post #9541075

Hello, How is everyone. Just wanted to post a picture of our new arrivals. 3 days old
Edited to say that their Mom is JRT/Beagle and Dad is a beagle.

This message was edited May 31, 2013 3:42 PM

Thumbnail by Jazzpunkin

JBerger

JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ
(Zone 7a)

May 31, 2013
2:03 PM

Post #9541095

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1303960/

Jazz, we moved to the above link. Please post these babies there. They are too cute for the rest of the crew to miss. Adorable, hugable...love those puppies.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Pets Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Does Anyone Show Dogs?? momcat 154 Jul 29, 2009 9:01 PM
How many dogs does it take to change a light bulb? gardenwife 20 Oct 2, 2009 7:10 PM
mourning DawnG 26 Jul 16, 2010 10:38 AM
Bertha got a hair cut!! MOLLYBEE 10 Aug 8, 2011 11:49 AM
Fritzie meets (& almost eats) Santa Claus Buttoneer 22 Sep 3, 2009 11:46 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America