PUPPY PREDICAMENTS #3

Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Hello Puppy People, we are here to listen to all your stories about your little darlings. Join in and if we can give you any advice we will, but it might not be the correct information so we will tell you now....we are not responsible for anything said on this thread.
In fact, we suggest if you call your vet or animal professionals if you have a serious problem. This thread started because several of us had puppies at the same time and we were sharing our frustrations, chewed furniture, potty training, you know, all those neat puppy predicaments. We came from here:http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1246347/

WELCOME AND ENJOY OUR CHATTER. Keep it clean gang, well as clean as possible.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Wrightstown, NJ(Zone 7a)

Here we go again......this is a picture of what I use on Charle before each bath and in between if he seems to be feeling like his coat is getting heavier. It is called a FURMINATOR...got it at Doctors Foster and Smith online.

You are thinking what I was thinking about that horse comb....we used something like that after we bathed ours too except it was straight like a piece of metal. The round one was like a curry comb.

I comb Charle each night before bed. He gets his eyes cleaned, his teach brushed and his ears cleaned out also. Every darn night. I can not tolerate a scruffy looking dog even on the farm. Sometimes during the day I look at him and I can not believe he belongs to me. God he gets messy quickly. He has a blast but he needs that brushing at night believe me. LOL

OK gang, you have your new thread, fill it up and have fun. Show some pictures and by the way I love that little doxie. Real cutie he is. Off to brush Sir Charles. Doggie Hugs to all Charle's friends on this thread.

Thumbnail by JBerger
Dahlonega, GA

My pooches wouldn't think they were human if they couldn't get scruffy.
I have to teach the two new ones that the cat , Smut , belongs to me .
The JRT will eat anything you offer her . Tonight it was raw carrots . I know they are good for her teeth . When I first got her , her old daddy brought me some green beans and set them on the porch while we visited . Sheba , the JRT kept stealing them and eating them . She likes corn on the cob , beans , cooked collards and other cooked greens . My dogs eat those too . She loves watermelon and cantaloupe . I haven't found anything she won't eat . I had a pooch years ago that loved the grapefruit that you left in the rind when finished eating .
Have any of you got a pooch with strange tastes ?

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Thanks JB. I know what it is like to have dial up. I know Evelyn still has it. Don't know if she is on this thread or not. But, that's cool anyway.

That Furminator looks kind of like the other thing Bob got out of the bag we keep all the tools in. But, he was so impressed with the shedder blade I think he will use that. I was outside and there was a big pile of hair out there. Good for the little chipmunks, birds, etc. for their nests this winter. The squirrels and chippers love it. They'll clean it up fast.

ttyl, jen

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

LOL, Sally, reminds me of our Golden that loved oysters. We were on the beach one day and the laws are that you shuck them and leave the shells on the beach so the oyster spat has something to attach to. We were walking along shucking some as we walked, and she was eating that little muscle you cut and some is left on the shell. And all of a sudden we heard this yelling and screaming and looked down the beach and here was that dog eating out of the bucket some people were putting their clean oysters into.

Guess we weren't cleaning them fast enough for her, or the small muscle left in the shell wasn't enough. Was terribly embarrassed.

One other time we took her fishing in February and it was so icy we were wearing snowmobile suits it was that cold. But we had her with us and we heard a guy yelling and he had caught a White fish and released it. The dog was going after it in the water. He was yelling at her to leave it alone. She would come out of the water with ice cicles hanging from her. She loved that.

Dogs are weird. They do love all those fresh, raw vegetables. I have a bag of dehydrated sweet potatoes here and Candy loves them too.

ttyl, jen

Dahlonega, GA

I'd fight her for the raw oysters . Where we are in Tex, we have both shrimp and oyster boats in the bays . Lucky us .
I left my down arctic suit at my sons house when we stayed there , before we bought our own place . In the off season , he would rent it to people he or his wife knew and worked with . Needless to say , it disappeared as did my D H snowmobile suit . I think I know who got it because the woman was seen digging up plants I had put out the winter before .Can't tolerate liars and thieves .Can't trust either of them.
My pooches are learning that the cat is Mine !

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Those suits are expensive. Too bad you can't prove it, even if you would.

So, the dogs don't chase the cat? I am slowly getting the dog to stop chasing my cat. At least mauling her when she does catch her. The squirt gun does wonders. The cat hates it, and the dog isn't sure where it is coming from. Funny to see the look on her face.

Well, our weather is turning cold for a while. Rained a bit ago and the weather lady said they are having lightening storms in Spokane, and then are heading this way. Then suppose to get back up to 80 by the weekend. yeah, almost down to the 60s on Wednesday.

I don't know whether I will have a ripe tomato or not. So far, I have one cherry tomato out there that is pretty close if the squirrel hasn't gotten it.

Dahlonega, GA

The snowmobile suit was 185:00 and the artic suit was over 1200.00. I priced some at over 600.00, but found this same one , from Norway , for a lot more .It was given to me from a rich old man that was going to use it for a mountain climb somewhere overseas .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I believe it.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Thieves have no heart.

I have a new photo of Emma and Izzy helping me make the bed.

Jen, our low tonight is going to be 87. Suppose to have rain tomorrow if the flow from California does this, and the flow from New Mexico does that and the jet flow does this. Blah, Blah, Blah......

We do not have fleas in Nevada.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well, your 87 low is higher than our high. I have never seen fleas on the animals, but treat them just the same. I really do not want them in the house. jen

Dahlonega, GA

There is no real dirt around L V . lol

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Digger you got that one. I have spent a fortune turning the Nevada blow sand into black soil. That is where Worm comes from in my tag name. Worms are my best friends. I spot compost and then I have a very large compost pile contained in a raised bed on the West side of the house. I stopped feeding my last one and just created a new one. That is one reason I have raised beds and very large pots.

Currently I am on our patio in the back landscape. Cloudy, rainy, rolling thunder and 76 degrees. Yahoo. I will probably just sit here for at least another hour, drink my tea and enjoy this wonderful morning.

Puppies do not now what to think about the rain and thunder. Have a great day. Sharon

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, that reminds me, what is that crushed granite or whatever that you and Dave both use? I have never seen it around here. Where do you get it? Give me a name and I will see if there is a location for it around Spokane.

Did you enjoy your storm? Yesterday was lightening in Spokane I guess, but we didn't get any. Just overcast. Now today it is beautiful blue sky.

Well, I suppose I have to call and make a new appt. with the dr. since I missed my appt. yesterday. Have one for myself for a hair appt. tomorrow and Bob has one for Candy at the same time. Maybe I can get in in the afternoon. ttyl,

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Did we lose Stilwood in the move. We need an update on your little Charlie. How is he doing, how does he travel and etc. Wondering minds want to know!!!!!!!!!!!!! Huggs, Lee

Madison, AL

Lee, we (Charlie and I) are still here. He is a lovely boy – loving and basically cooperative. It has really turned our household upside down. I did not really realize how set in our ways we had become and how used to not being inconvenienced. Now we have to take his needs into consideration – it must be good for us!! He is eating and drinking normally now. Housebreaking is not complete. He will use the outdoors when we go out – but will not ask to go out. He tends to stand over by the back door, but if I don’t notice he has not learned a way to alert me. So I am trying to watch so he doesn’t have an opportunity to make a mistake. So far only 3 accidents – situation still in progress. Our new grandbaby was born in Alabama on 8/27 and we are traveling there this Thursday. Charlie is going with us and that will be an experience. I will have to protect him against enthusiastic grandchildren and will have to protect my DIL’s house against any accidents. So taking care of him will be full time project – just like having my own newborn! But he is good in so many ways – not yappy like so many small dogs (has barked twice, at the vacuum cleaner – not at other dogs or people at all.) He is not nervous or jumpy – just a sturdy little fellow. His breeder, Barbara Andrews, did such a great job of socializing him that he is quite comfortable with people and has quickly settled down with us. He sleeps in his crate (a puppy apartment) and does not make a sound all night (I bet my new grandson is not that quiet at night!!). I will report how the trip goes – we will be staying overnight in Murphy, NC and I have to pick a hotel that allows pets – several there do so. Wish me luck!!

Madison, AL

Here is picture of Charlie taking DH on a walk and one of him attacking one of his many toys - he picks them out of a basket and runs around squeaking them. I have never had a dog who could actually entertain himself with toys.

Thumbnail by stillwood Thumbnail by stillwood
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Stillwood, you sound like you are really involved with Charlie. That is great. Especially like you say you are so set in your ways. We are still dealing with things like taking Candy, a yellow lab, with us or leaving her. It always depends on how long we are going to be gone and how hot it is outside. If it is hot, we don't want to leave her in the car, if we are going to be gone long we take her with us and anything that we need to do in stores etc. one of us stays in the car with her so we can keep the windows down, a door open etc. Those seem to be the issues we deal with now.

She is outside so much and she does her bathroom things outside, but when it turns cold out, I don't know how we are going to know when she needs to go out either. She isn't a year old yet, but hopefully we can work it out. She is short haired and I don't think we will be leaving her outside all winter. Our winters are somewhat colder and longer than yours.

We don't leave her outside because of predators. Cats, coyotes, etc. She still wonders what the deer are. She doesn't bark at them, just stands and looks t them. They don't run when they see her either.

Something woke me up at 4 o'clock the other morning. It was a cat. My bedroom windows are open. I got up and went into the kitchen and both of my cats were in there (normally they are sound asleep upstairs) and when they looked at me their eyes were big as saucers and they were looking out at the kitchen deck. I looked out there but didn't see anything. cougars are nocturnal. You never see them they are so sneaky.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

We crossposted.

They do like their squeaky toys. Candy does too, but she always wants you to throw it for her. She gets it and jumps around with it and throws it herself for a bit but then she wants one of us to throw it for her.

Does your DH have much to do with Charlie? What does he think of him?

Madison, AL

Here is one last picture of Charlie getting a bath from his breeder mom before we brought him home - he is such a perky boy!

Thumbnail by stillwood
Madison, AL

My husband agreed to get him as he usually agrees if I say I want something - but he definitely feels Charlie is my dog. However, I have found him reaching out to him to talk and pet him. Charlie is smart enough to show interest in him. Through the years my husband has never particularly wanted pets, but has always been good to those I got. He is a good fellow and good to me. I think he likes Charlie being so spunky and not yappy (not the typical toy dog - yappy and nervous). He likes the way Charlie cocks his head and looks up at him. I really think they are going to be buddies. On our upcoming trip I will have to try to keep taking the dog from being too terribly inconvenient for him, but he readily agreed when I said I wanted to take him.

Dahlonega, GA

Charlie will enjoy the trip , I bet .
Sure wish I could find a sink like the one in your pic . I like that for bathing dogs even better than the laundry sinks . If you think of it when you talk to charlies former mom , ask where she got it . Sure thank you .

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sally if you google pet bathing sinks you get all kinds of them. Pretty expensive tho. You know there are places that have facilities where you can take your pets in and clean them yourselves and just pay them for the use of their equipment. I don't have a clue as to what those cost.

Bob just told me that the place we took Candy last week had that type of thing besides like we did, paid them to do it for me. If I had known they had it I would have checked it out just to see what the setup was and the cost.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

I don't know what kind of dogs you are talking about bathing, but what about a regular laundry tub? I bought one to wash all my plant pots in. They are deep and probably 2 foot square. You can get them even at HD or Lowes for about $25 or so.

Dahlonega, GA

There is a car wash in the next town that has a dog wash too . Don't think I want to travel twenty five miles to bath four small dogs and transport wet dogs home . I think mostly hunting dogs go there .I have a tub for bathing but have to run a hose to the hot water . It's a pain and want to install a reg laundry station in the extra room we built . Looked at stainless restaurant sinks but so expensive .The fiberglass laundry tubs get nasty looking after awhile .

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I will take a photo of my sink in the laundry room. It was installed just to wash the dogs when we built the house.

Stillwood, Charlie is fitting right in and that is great. Good luck on your trip. Be safe.

Puppies will be a year old on the 9th of September. I am looking for a trainer for mid September. They are doing great but need to learn not to jump up on people and get over excited when approaching someone. And the barking at the front door. Just a few minor irritating things. Sharon

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

That jumping on people when they come in is very annoying Sharon. But you should have a big dog like Candy. She is taller than a lot of people when she does that. When you find a trainer that can stop that please tell me what they do. jen

Dahlonega, GA

Thanks , worms , and tell me where it came from , cost , etc . We do our own installing but the sink is the important part .
Jnette , I'm going to look now online for the dog sink . Just to get an idea .
My dogs jump too . Don't have much company except our kids and they encourage it . They all have house pets . Funny , how the pooches calm down after the first few seconds of greeting . My dogs act as if everyone that comes , comes just to see them , even strangers . Once they get into the yard , everyone is welcome . I pray , "Lord , don't let it be a serial killer "

Miles City, MT(Zone 3b)

Have you tried Fosters and Smith catalog. I know they have one, don't know if it is the right one tho. Just a thought. Huggs, Lee

Dahlonega, GA

I'll look at it , thanks .
Do you have a Jeffers catalog ? They seem to be cheaper on a lot of stuff . I've used them for years for lots of stuff . Hugs back

Dahlonega, GA

I just looked at the catalog on line and a utility tub would be a lot cheaper . I'm looking for a regular , installed bathing station . Might have my son make me one out of stainless steel or tile . Thanks anyway . Hugs

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

digger, here is a photo of my sink. As you can see it placed into a cabinet. The faucet has a sprayer and a full flow option. It is 16 inches at the most narrow end, 19" at the fullest end. 29 inches long and 11 inches deep. This area was planned around our miniature schnauzers. Cecil and Emma are our third set of schnauzers.

First photo is cabinet and second photo is the sink and faucet.

Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon Thumbnail by WormsLovSharon
Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

As I said, I don't know what kind of dog you are talking about. I think just paying to use one or a dog the size of Candy would be the best way to go. Not only would not be useful for some other type of dog, but a larger dog would be a mess. If I put one in for her and then sold my house to someone with a tiny dog like Sharon's mini schnauzers, then what?

I think a portable or a setup in the back yard, maybe a basement, or something would be better. They only charged me $35 to do Candy, and I thought that was great. However, that was for puppy price. Under a year, or something I guess. Not sure how much when she is out of puppydom.

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

Jen, I had Todd's dog Ginger for the last two years of her life because Ginger did not get along with his wife's dog. She was a large dog. I bathed her in our bathtub that had a faucet with a sprayer handle as a separate faucet. Getting her in the tub and bathed was no big deal but getting her to stay in the tub until I had her dried off was a problem. The floors are marble and when you hit them wet you go flying.

We had a German Shepard years ago and we used to bathe her on the back patio but we were in Las Vegas, not in the mountains above Spokane.

It is now way past my bedtime. I am out of here. Have a great day tomorrow. Sharon

Dahlonega, GA

Worms , exactly what I want . Where did you get it ?

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I have several books the builder/designer put together. I will look up the specs. Probably will take a day. Worms

Dahlonega, GA

Worms , the mfg. name might be on the sink too .

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

It is a Kohler. K-5986-2U Entree Kitchen sink. This information is from February 23, 2000. Probably no longer made but will have one close to it. Cast Iron. Good luck, Sharon AKA Worms.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Sally, :0) I don't think Sharon liked being called worms. Sharon, tell us again why you used that as your DG handle. Jen Or, then again, she might not have cared. Knowing Sharon, she really didn't. Jen (also known as Jeanette. Until JB got hold of me that is. LOL)

Las Vegas, NV(Zone 9a)

I do not care what you call me as long as you call me.

Worms come from the worms in my compost pile. I love to find worms in my garden. Means I have good soil.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.