Photo by Melody

Beginner Flowers: Why is my Burgundy Iceberg Rose hot pink?

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 0, Views: 19
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
designlaurel
Lincoln, CA

August 20, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9248487

I just planted a Burgundy Iceberg Rose in my yard a few months ago and I have been looking at the photos for months now eager for dark burgundy to purple results. The rose bush finally started blooming for the first time last week and the roses are a very bright hot pink with white inside. It was100 degrees last week, so I just wanted to know if the bright hot pink and white color is a temperature problem and if this is merely an "ugly duckling" phase. Is there anything I can do to encourage more purple-ish or a nice dark burgundy bloom and if not, do you have any recommendations for dark burgundy replacement rose bush? I am not entirely fond of the white insides and backsides of the flowers either but the really bright hot pink bloom is probably the reason. What I really need is a 4 x 4 or 5 x 5-ish (or larger) purple or burgundy rose bush that will be located in between two blue hydrangeas. All of these plants were just planted this spring of 2012 with another purple hydrangea and I am hoping that they will all grow into each other when they become large enough to hide the backyard fence. On the other side of one of the blue hydrangeas I have mounted a 5ft x 8 ft. trellis to my fence and I am filling it with a thornless blackberry bush and a dark purple Clematis 'Jackmanii'.The Burgundy Iceberg Rose is a centerpiece between two blue hydrengeas and I was really trying to avoid bright pink in this part of the yard (..well, all pink actually!) Thank you very much.

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 8:25 PM

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 8:46 PM

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America