Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Problem with althea (rose of sharon) blooms

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 7, Views: 48
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
woolywooly
Dunwoody, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 21, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9248750

There is a 5 ft althea (in tree form) in my garden which looks quite healthy,has lush foliage, gets fertilized and watered regularly and is exposed to partial sun. Every year it develops a large quantity of bloom buds; when they reach maturity they never open and actually bloom; just stay tightly closed with a tiny light green rim around the top edge. When I open one of them up there appears to be a blossom inside - it just never comes out. What am I doing wrong? I'd appreciate some advice. Thanks!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9249878

You can stop fertilizing it, they usually grow on their own just fine, in fact probably better when just left alone(unless it needs watering)

What type of part sun just morning or late day? they do better in full sun

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9253259

I agree, it needs lots of sun, regular water and very little in the way of fertilizer, just a good feed in the spring. Sounds like all its' energy is going into growth and bud formation. Even sorely neglected ones will bloom fairly well once established.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9253411

You might also investigate whether the problem is due to thrips--they can cause this in tropical Hibiscus, and since ROS is also a species of Hibiscus maybe they are susceptible as well. In the tropicals thrips will often cause the buds to drop off as well as not open so I'm not sure it matches your symptoms, but probably worth checking.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
5:43 AM

Post #9254071

Yep! All the above it good advice. I never fertilize my RoS or give it extra water.
Barb
woolywooly
Dunwoody, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2012
7:36 AM

Post #9254174

Re: Rose of Sharon Blooms To:flowAjen, themoonhowl, ecrane3, Beach_Barbie

Thank you all so much for responding - you verified what I sort of suspected - I was doing the killing with kindness bit (have a tendency to do that), especially since there is an althea in the back woods that's pretty much neglected - and it BLOOMS! Will quit fertilizing and will check it for thrips just in case. Thanks again! Happy digging.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9254212

You are most welcome. Hope you get lots of blooms.
Beach_Barbie
Kure Beach, NC
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
6:27 PM

Post #9254771

I know I've done that; killed plants with kindness. Just ask any orchid I've managed to kill...;)
Barb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America