Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Northeast Gardening: I'm back...

Communities > Forums > Northeast Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Northeast GardeningReplies: 27, Views: 164
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
7:42 AM

Post #9248773

Hello everyone!

This year has been a whirlwind of "stuff," I know atleast 2 of you I'm friends with on Facebook, so you know somethings that have been going on. I did send personal dmails with a few people on DG to keep them abreast. I did miss the forum.

I'll try to do this in a nutshell. Try...

In March of this year, I slipped, fell, and had a 50% tare of my Quadracep ligament off of my knee, and had surgery to repair it. I was out for a little over 4 months. During this time there was some family "stuff" that went on, and Tom (no H) and I decided we were going to start looking for a home in the country, and we found the home we are living in now. 2.5 acres. Ranch, newer home (compared to the last home) We also purchased a Neapolitan Mastiff, his name is Masso (Italian for bolder, and it's very apropos).

So, new house, new life, new pets, new place, new new and new. :-)

I'm just at a much better place in my life than I was a year and a half ago.

Thank you for keeping in contact with me and for reading, or posting on Facebook when you did :-)

The pic is of Masso from 3-4 days ago, he just turned 8 months old on the 7th...

Thumbnail by Hemhostaholic
Click the image for an enlarged view.

wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9248828

welcome back!
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9248902

Thank you Bill, I have to go back and see how many walls you built since last time I checked :-)
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 21, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9248998

just go to the different project threads there is some big doings

Thumbnail by wha   Thumbnail by wha
Click an image for an enlarged view.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9249127

Welcome back!
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 21, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9249329

Bill, that is simply stunning!

I believe you've answered this a time or two, but do you "harvest" all of your stone from around your home, or are you purchasing the stone?

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 21, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9249335

Hi Thom...so glad to have you post...it sounds as if life is coming together for you & that's really good news...Masso is ugly-cute...I know Neos, a neighbor of mine has one...Baxter is very mellow, very drooly!

luvsgrtdanes

luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
6:03 PM

Post #9249461

Hi Thom, welcome back...Love Masso!
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 22, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9249803

purchase stone - that is cheating!

i collect it here and a friend in town lets me collect off her property that has old buried walls surrounding it.
schickenlady
Sherrie In, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9249902

Hi Thom.

Sherrie
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9251567

Just saw this. Hey, Thom. Masso is definitely ugly cute! Lily across the street is about a year old and tan. She is so very gentle. Love their faces.

Hope your knee is continuing to heal well. Did you move a lot of your plants to the new place?
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9251710

Hey Jan,

I moved every daylily (a smidge over 200+) plus all of the hosta (just shy of 175), numerous other odds and ends; peony, iris, a few shrubs, small trees, and some other things.

I'm now wondering if bringing all of the hosta up here was such a smart idea. The property is pretty much a giant rectangle, BUT, it's not fenced, which is both good and bad, but there are tons of deer, bear, raccoons, and other things. The turkeys are what drive me nuts the most, they are extremely loud, and brazen. They don't run from the dogs, or us anymore. They just trample through everything.

I'm trying to get everything before the weather starts getting colder, we are actually in an almost full zone colder now. More north than what we were, but up on a mountain, and in a huge dell. We are also blessed with lakes everywhere, so tons of skeeters, dragonflies(didn't realize they bite), and ticks.

Eventually we would like to get chickens, the whole area has no zoning...woohoo.

I need to get a ton of dirt delivered, and even more mulch.

I'll be taking pics when it gets done.

I dug up all of the DLs and Hostas, and other plants while wearing a knee brace. lol

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9251716

I didn't realize dragonflies bit either.

Maybe some fencing is in your future to keep the critters at bay. However that wouldn't do much to keep the turkeys out. Sigh

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 24, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9252096

The place sounds idyllic, Thom...would love to see photos...yes, turkeys are a problem here, they ate my coral bells...

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9252604

saw some turkeys today at the edge of a soybean field
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9252714

I've never wanted nor even thought of owning a firearm...now...lol. I don't know if there is a Hav a heart trap big enough for turkeys. lol. I really think that I will have more problems, in the future, with turkeys, over deer. I saw, at two different times, 2 separate flocks(not sure if that's what turkeys are called in groups.) 1 group had 5 turkeys, the other had 4.

I'm also having a huge mole problem, their holes are everywhere...certain parts of the yard look like swiss cheese. I'm going to be getting 2 barn cats, I hope they do the job.

I was told wild turkeys shouldn't be shot until the fall, because they aren't mature, are wormy, and gamey tasting. I'll see what happens when autumn comes. lol

pixie62560

pixie62560
South China, ME
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
3:13 AM

Post #9252907

Hi Thom, I'm so sorry to hear of all the hurdles you've had to leap but glad your back with us here on DG! Your new place sounds like heaven, minus the turkeys and moles. :) Can't believe you moved all those DL's & hosta's, my hats off to you!!!

BTW, a group of 5 turkeys is not bad...we have crowds as large as 22 come across the field sometimes. Speaking of 22's (grin) I have one of my own, not a big gun, easy to use, and most importantly...effective!!

ROBINDOG

ROBINDOG
Thomaston, CT

August 25, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9253020

My stepson says the breast on a wild turkey is edible...bake it in a bag with liquid...
wha
Pepperell, MA
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
11:37 AM

Post #9253305

never had problems with turkey's here with the yard - other than giving themselves dust baths in my horseshoe pits and causing me to get more clay. There have been flocks like celeste has here.
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9253404

So far, haven't had a problem, beside them stopping to dust bath, and do their rooster noises right outside my bedroom window. Living in the country is quiet, except for that. We heard coyote a few weeks back, that sounded terribly awful; thought someone was getting murdered, or worse.

Since we've moved in, and the dogs go out every 2 hours, give or take, the deer don't really come around anymore. Masso wouldn't be able to catch them, after a 50 yard dash he's pretty done. Theta on the other hand, I'd be afraid what would happen if she did catch one.

Masso is a big smusher face. They definitely are not the breed for everyone. We are waiting to hear back from the breeder, we want to get a female, and she will (essentially) be Masso's wife. We are starting him with handling classes, and he has his first potential show in October, in New Jersey. Cross our fingers he doesn't try to eat a judge >,<
AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
2:30 PM

Post #9253490

Thom -good to have you posting on DG again!

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 26, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9254818

I heard wild turkey (no matter what time of year )are gamey, it's because their muscles are overworked from all the roaming they do
I love Mastiffs but couldn't handle all that slobber, I like the American Mastiff cause they have smaller jowls

Yeah I can't believe you moved all those plants either, hats off to you!!!!

DonnieBrook

DonnieBrook
Southwest , NH
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9254832

Welcome back, Thom...glad to hear life is good for you!
Louise
Hemhostaholic
Scranton, PA
(Zone 5b)

August 27, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9254977

I showed Tom the pics from Bill's stream and pond and his eyes got about as big as saucers, and he was like, "I want that." I informed him that I am not even a 10th of the talent of Bill, and when it comes to stone, we don't have nearly enough to do what Bill did. I have a funny feeling next Spring we will be installing a huge pond out front. lol

AYankeeCat
Fairfield County, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
6:07 AM

Post #9255170

A doggie wading pool!
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9255841

All our eyes got big when we saw wha's masterpiece. Yes, I have pond lust.

victorgardener

victorgardener
Lower Hudson Valley, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9258780

Hey Thom - welcome back! Still catching up on threads since returning from vacation.

onewish1

onewish1
Denville, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
2:54 AM

Post #9259010

hey Thom.. nice to see you!!!

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Northeast Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Glad you're better Dave Anitabryk2 209 May 19, 2007 12:03 AM
Cortaderia selloana (Pampas grass) as annual zone5girl 4 Jun 16, 2007 3:41 AM
Mammoth Elephant Ear Janecline 18 May 16, 2007 2:52 PM
Hi. I would like to join your Forum - if it is OK. AYankeeCat 42 Dec 9, 2007 5:56 PM
Rosemary hardiness in CT? jjpm74 26 May 19, 2007 10:16 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America