AuthorContent

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 21, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9248826

My pictures show two of the lovely specimens. We planted a good sized patch of sweet corn this year in a new area that we never planted in before. It was an heirloom variety and we were eager for the harvest. The high heat at the wrong time of year caused pollination to be limited. But we have quite a few ears of this delicacy also known as corn smut, a fungus. Something that actually is eaten by some in soups and quesadillas.

So, we are throwing the smut into the burn pile. We won't plant corn there ever again, but can other crops be planted there without any ill effects?

Thanks for any and all help and sorry if the photos were disgusting. When I was searching about this online, I ran into images of canned huitlacoche. yuck.

Thumbnail by Chillybean   Thumbnail by Chillybean
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9250139

Well, if you use your imagination, the first pic looks like a bowl of raw oysters, and the second pic looks like mound of mushrooms.

I had to do it that way, cuz otherwise I'd throw up, and never eat corn on the cob again. And, I love corn on the cob...

LOL!

Linda

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 2:02 PM
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9250193

Corn is about the only standard vegetable that smut (Ustilago maydis) infects. It is surprising that it show up in a newly used field. Normally it becomes a problem, when corn has been grown in the same area for several years. Sweet corn is much more susceptible, especially whites. Most field corn hybrids have resistance. There are multiple smuts that attack small grains, wheat oats, rye, barley etc but these are different organisms.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9250425

Thank you so much for the info, Farmerdill. This was a white sweet corn. We moved here in the fall of 2007 and the previous owner had no garden that we could tell. Is it possible if corn was planted in that spot however many years ago that it could effect corn this late?

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
3:43 PM

Post #9250433

Gymgirl... too funny. I had to tell you when I first saw this I was speechless. With all the hybrids and other stuff out there, I has first thought some weird cross pollination occurred, since our neighbor has his field corn across the road from us.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 22, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9250551

Spore probably blew over from neighbors corn field. Does not affect modern field corn much, but it can still harbor the spores.

Chillybean

Chillybean
Near Central, IA
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9251311

So... I am guessing this means we probably should no longer try growing organic-heirloom sweet corn. Next year, south and west of us will be planted with field corn and the year after, our neighbor's field across the road again... :( I'll have to start asking around the local sweet corn growers about who strives to use organic methods and buy from them in future years. I was hoping to freeze some this year along with all the fresh we all have been eagerly waiting for.
Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9251394

Try a yellow like Golden Bantam, it is not that old and it is susceptible as is all sweet corn but maybe not as much so as the pre 1900 whites. The fungi is also weather dependent to a degree, dry weather to stress the plant followed by a wet spell when tasseling is ideal for its development. The spores enter the plant through
wounds usually bug bites.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2012
3:53 AM

Post #9251923

The farm radio shows are saying that conditions have been correct for this problem across the midwest this summer. Perhaps next year in a different spot might still produce a good crop.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 24, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9251959

Yeah, that is an extreme fungus, chuckl, used to see it like a naked frog had climbed up into an ear under the silks to scare me when I shocked em. Why I burn all corn plant growth in the area still, chuckl. So sorry for your loss!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America