Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Vegetables: Tons of blooms but no Zucchini

Communities > Forums > Beginner Vegetables
bookmark
Forum: Beginner VegetablesReplies: 20, Views: 176
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Jambooe
Needham, MA

August 21, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9248850

For three years in a row, I have grown zucchini with large leaves and an abundance of male flowers but not one single bloom bearing a zucchini. What am I doing wrong?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 23, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9251806

Same type of zucchini every time? Sounds like way too much nitrogen and water as well, let em get thirsty. Try a different type of zucchini, and see what happens-there are many different kinds that may like your cooler area better
Jambooe
Needham, MA

August 27, 2012
9:47 AM

Post #9255485

Thank you. I may be overwatering. Next year, I will give it one more shot and try your suggestions.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 27, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9255578

A veggie garden plant has to want to survive, you didn't say WHAT kind of zuke you are attempting and I was curious which one is treating you so badly!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 27, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9256274

Chiming in as I was searching to see if anyone else is being challenged. Having the same problem here with 'Black Beauty' and yellow straightneck. Gave them starter fertilizer when planted (with higher phos than nitrogen) and another feeding a couple of months later, again with a lower nitrogen level. It's been hot and dry here but I do water them once or twice during the week. I don't think I'm ever going to get a zucchini at this rate. This is my first year growing these.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9256823

Cindy,
Your Black Beauty eggplant is a WATER HOGGING HUNGRY HIPPO that likes lots of organic matter in the soil. I've grown black beauty before in eBuckets, in a mix of 1/2 MG potting mix and 1/2 Black Kow Composted Manure. Try working some finished compost or composted leaf mold or some other organic amendment in with the Beauty.

Nothing beats a wish but a try!

Here's a Black Beauty I grew, and some Beatrice Eggplants. Both grew in homemade eBuckets with built in reservoirs, so they'd stay hydrated when I couldn't get to watering them.

Linda

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Farmerdill
Augusta, GA
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9256980

Black Beauty zucchini is not so prolific. The worst for yield that I have ever grown. Black Beauty eggplant yields well. Most yellow straightnecks yield well. Saffron is the worst that I have grown.

Thumbnail by Farmerdill   Thumbnail by Farmerdill         

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 28, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9257142

I did work in some composted leaves both last fall before planting veggies this year and also top dressed with some about 6 weeks ago. Plants are always in bloom, have never wilted but just won't produce female flowers. The yellow squash got the same treatment with the same disappointing results. Cucumbers in the same area are producing okay. Got them all from Baker's. Are there better varieties?

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
3:26 PM

Post #9257459

Fordhook is a name I've heard of, no memory if I've grown it, want to try trombone zucchini, and I Like Greyzini, for summer squashes there is the old standby of yellow crook neck, or a straight one( the feed store orders local favorites in bulk). And I like the looks of that 8ball Zucchini a lot!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

August 28, 2012
3:45 PM

Post #9257469

Thanks for the recommendations!
Jambooe
Needham, MA

September 10, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9271002

Kittriana, I honestly don't know what kind of zuke it was. I searched for the tag but no luck. Just as a side note, I finally did see one little zuke starting to take off and didn't a critter come by and bite the end off. Oh well, there is always next year.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 10, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9271147

That may have been happening the last few years- those little critters are slick harvesters, chuckl, keep trying! Just get after the critters
coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9273108

my cucumbers and zucchini also did poorly in Spring. the mockingbirds enjoyed eating the blooms though! well it didn't matter too much since there were hardly any female blooms.. i might give them a try again this Fall. whoops looks like Fall is already knocking on the door!
does anyone know why my eggplants - Gretel and another white variety i forgot the name of - are hard and seedy?

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 12, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9273235

Can't figure that one. Mine are tender, and the seeds are tiny. I don't even need to peel these eggplants.

Are you leaving them on too long, perhaps? I'm picking when they are about 5-6" long, but before they start getting dull.

Dull = bitter

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 3:09 PM

Thumbnail by Gymgirl   Thumbnail by Gymgirl         

coastalzonepush
Orlando, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 12, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9273398

yours look great! mine stopped growing long. instead they turn yellow and need peeling :( the strange thing is i get lots of flowers... i picked all the eggplants over the weekend, not for eating, just tossed them.
it might be the weather, they could perk back up once the temps cool down. i pick them before they are 2 weeks. maybe 1 and a half weeks. by then they're about half that length unfortunately.
i will probably just replant Japanese purple varieties. i never tried growing them myself, but my parents have had great harvests.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9274586

Gretel produces a small eggplant (no more than 3 inches) so it is easy to leave it on too long hoping it will get larger (it won't!). Pick eggplants while they are still shiny or they will get bitter and hard. As Gymgirl pointed out: Dull-bitter!! Just try again next season and you will probably do much better.

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9274848

Gardadore,
How do you cook your small eggplants? I really could use some recipes, especially for these varieties I'm growing for the first time. I was advised to get a mandolin to slice them up as mock lasagna.

Much appreciated.

Linda
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9275065

The small ones I peel, cut in half the long way and sauté in olive oil until brown on both sides. I season them with salt, lemon pepper, garlic herb, curry. Just made a batch last night! Yum!! A mandoline is nice but I find I can make eggplant parmesan or a lasagna by just slicing them with a larger knife. When I have the time I slice the large ones, salt them and then stack them on a plate. I put a plate on top and a heavy bowl on the plate to press them for about 30 minutes. This takes out a lot of water and makes them better for cooking. They don't absorb as much oil then. When they are fresh off the stalk I often skip that and just turn them quickly in the olive oil to get both sides coated so it will brown. You can always bread them and fry them if you wish. You will find tons of fabulous recipes for eggplant by googling Eggplant Recipes. Have fun!!

Gymgirl

Gymgirl
SE Houston (Hobby), TX
(Zone 9a)

September 14, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9275139

Thanks, G!
Ainttalkin
Groveland-Big Oak Fl, CA

October 1, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9291999

I had the same experience with my Zucchini when I first put in my garden. I had put to many obstacles in place and got no pollinators. I ended taking off the bird netting and the poultry wire, and within 1 minute I had bees rushing in. Maybe plant some bedding plants next to the squash and they will bring in more pollinators.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 1, 2012
5:52 PM

Post #9292884

Thanks for mentioning that, Ainttalkin. Maybe I had too many taller things around the zucchini plants. Already planning on a different spot for them next year. I did give up on them this year and cut them off a week ago.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Vegetables Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Vegetables forum! dave 24 Mar 24, 2013 6:54 PM
Tomato problems jkehl 40 Oct 15, 2010 1:06 PM
starting a vegie garden wilflower 28 May 24, 2012 2:38 PM
Nasturtiums and squash? Terry 41 Mar 24, 2007 8:07 PM
Bees Please jkehl 95 Apr 7, 2013 7:37 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America