Photo by Melody

Vegetable Gardening: More veggie garden space done for next year.

Communities > Forums > Vegetable Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Vegetable GardeningReplies: 15, Views: 85
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
10:12 AM

Post #9248952

I really wanted to increase the space I have to plant veggies next year.

One idea I had was to take this nice square raised bed which was planted with Tall Bearded iris and instead make it a veggie bed. It is 7 foot square raised bed with a three foot square smaller raised bed in the middle. The bed is level, while my property slopes slightly downward. So it is raised more in more side than the other. The straw is there now as mulch simply to stop weeds from starting to grow.

I intend to put vertical netting around three sides of the middle square and grow my Yard Long Beans in there. I have them this year but since I definatly am going to plant them again next year, I decided this was a perfect spot. Then the rest will be for tomatoes. I DO LOVE my tomatoes ha-ha.

So I moved all the Iris and other plants and will be ready for veggies next spring!

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
10:19 AM

Post #9248957

The next thing I did was to extend one of my tomato beds to make it longer. So next year I can grow more tomatoes there.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita   Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click an image for an enlarged view.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9248959

I did have to move back the edge of a flower bed but since the front had annuals it wasn't a big loss. Then I will be planting grass in the newly created path.

Thumbnail by newyorkrita
Click the image for an enlarged view.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 21, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9249139

Looking good! More vegetable growing space is always a good thing. Wish I could just put down some mulch and have it stop the weeds! :-/

Why not plant some snap peas or carrots or another cool weather veggie for fall since you are all done?

Instead of grass in that walkway, have you considered a groundcover you won't have to mow?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
1:39 PM

Post #9249169

Well, I do have pea seeds left as I never got all my peas planted. Maybe I will plant them there.

I have very little grass left here so I don't mind that pathway being in grass. I think it will look nice that way. And besides there is grass around the old part of that bed so it will just all match!

Honestly, I am really happy that my exansion there is done as it was a multi day project. But I wanted to get these areas done this fall. That way I am ready in the spring. I will just have to put compost down and be ready to plant.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
11:10 AM

Post #9250088

Nicole, I took your advice and planted Cascadia Sugar Snap peas today. Late for planting but not much to loose!

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
12:40 PM

Post #9250174

If nothing else, pea plants make good compost! Row cover might help to have handy if you get some early frosts so you baby peas don't get burned.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
12:43 PM

Post #9250179

Really sometimes we get frost really really late so hopefully I will be ok. I don't have any row covers though.

NicoleC

NicoleC
Madison, AL
(Zone 7b)

August 22, 2012
3:03 PM

Post #9250384

And old sheet or similar will do. No need to be fancy. I usually roll with the seasons as they come, but sometimes you get those freak late or early frosts when you know the weather is going to be good for another week or two.

But that's still a ways in the future. I can't believe it's August and I'm talking about frost protection measures. :)

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9250396

Hopefully I will have eaten up my peas before any frosts come. Earliest I can remember frost here is Mid October but it can be much later. And I have lots of old sheets if needed.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
3:18 PM

Post #9251518

Was watering the grass seed that I put in the new pathway around the tomato garden extension and looking at the way the yard there has charged. I really like it better as it looks more open without that sapling tree. Besides it was a Mulberry and I was always hacking it back as it just did not want to behave and stay smaller.

That extension really is going to up the number of tomato plants in that bed next year. Now I have 12 plants, two rows of six. Next year I plan on planting 20 plants there in two rows of ten. Plus I have the Tower Square garden in which I plan to put 10 tomato plants. And that is a compleatly new veggie area now that I have the iris plants moved out of there. And I have other areas with tomato plants. Lots of tomato plants.

The tomatoes seem to have slowed down putting out the ripe fruits just lately but I really can't complain. Green fruits still setting and the production this year was excellent.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9253348

I intend to be ready for next year. I ordered 25 tomato cages today from Lowes as they had a free shipping offer till September. Works for me. Easier than going to get them at the store.

I bought the same 47 inch collapable triangle green coated wire cages as the ones already here.

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
2:59 PM

Post #9253529

Well, I had a few days to look at my expanded tomato bed. Decided to make it one brick wider running lengthwise to make it easier with the placement of the row of cages for next year. Used the put newspaper on grass, cover with some leaves and straw method and there it is until next year. I think it needed that slight bit of extra width.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 13, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9274408

Do you have to amend or create new soil when you extend beds?
Or is your "yard dirt" good enough soil to grow veggies?

newyorkrita

newyorkrita
North Shore of L. I., NY
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
7:00 PM

Post #9274490

I will be putting on lots of compost next spring. Both on the old part pf the bed and on the newly created part.

RickCorey_WA

RickCorey_WA
Everett, WA
(Zone 8a)

September 14, 2012
5:12 PM

Post #9275438

Sounds good. I have a separate "dirt yard" where I haul my excavated clay. Screen, amend, blend, invite worm s to come and play ... then shovel it back into new beds as I create them.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Vegetable Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
very important question farmgirl21 31 Jan 8, 2008 12:31 AM
Need Source For Chinese Vegetable Seed berrygirl 18 Jun 15, 2008 7:21 PM
An accidental lesson Farmerdill 26 Feb 24, 2013 12:10 PM
Planting the "Three sisters" HilltopDaisy 94 Jul 6, 2011 3:38 AM
Rhubarb emilyrasmus 19 Apr 25, 2013 4:55 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America