Ted's Pink Currant"

Pembroke Pines, FL(Zone 10a)

Yep! I discovered a new variety of currant by accident. Sent seeds to Carolyn and she confirmed it and we will call it "Ted's Pink Currant" which she will try to get into the next edition of SSE. What an honor for me as I am completely disabled now and can not garden at this time. Thank You Carolyn!!!!!
Ted

Laceys Spring, AL(Zone 7a)

Congratulations, Ted!! I'm so sorry you can no longer garden. But I hope you will find enjoyment via others discovering, growing and enjoying this variety.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

So you did get my e-mail to you Ted, and that's great. And as I remember I suggested you call it Ted's Pink Currant as well.

Four folks signed up to grow it and send seeds back to me and all checked the epidermis, which was clear, so it is pink and I should have enough seeds so that I could SSE list it as well as offer it in my next seed offer next Jan.

You also sent either seeds or fruits to Nancyruhl, and she reads and posts at Tville as well and also said she would send seeds back to me.

So I'm delighted that this all worked out for the best, and the thanks go back to you as well Ted.

Next thing is for me to share that I heard back from you with those who were growing it as well as the four folks growing Joe's Pink OXheart, a different variety where I also had few seeds.

And don't forget that I've not been able to do ANY of my own gardening since I fell and got this walker in Dec of 2004, so why not try to find some folks younger who can help out and do the work for you. ( smile)

Carolyn

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ted, I forgot to say that I will also be sending seeds to some commercial seed sites for trial where I know the owners well, and have for many years. And that includes some pretty darn good places IMO.

But I need a favor from you.

Would you please answer me back from the real e-mail I sent you, not DG mail, which I never sent, b'c there is some info I need from you that doesn't belong here in public.

If you need to find a topic to put in that e-mail you can ask me what happened today when I finally was able to get out and drive my own car which was the first time since last November.

Thanks so much, and remember you didn't just send me the seeds, as I suggested you smushed up a number of fruits and put them in a plastic baggie and I set them up for fermentation here at home. LOL

Carolyn

Dearborn, MI

Mighty tasty and prolific currant named after you. Congratulations.

CAROLYN --I DID E-MAIL YOU THREE TIMES AND NEVER GOT A REPLY. IT WAS ON YOUR ADDRESS THAT YOU HAD ON THE E-MAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU SENT TO ME? IT SEEMS I CAN NOT REACH YOU ? I TRIED REPLY ON YOUR FIRST MAIL AND IT DID NOT GO THRU. SENT TWO MORE INDIVIDUAL AND THOUGHT THAT YOU DID NOT REPLY ? WEIRD ??? I receive your mail but you do not receive mine ? Please advise ?

Thank You Nancy. They are delicious...

If anyone needs to reach me 954 983-5868 or by mail Ted Darnowski
6731 sw 11 st, Pembroke Pines, Fl 33023-1618. I'd welcome the contact....NOW LETS GET TO BACK TO THE REAL EB'S. THEY PRODUCE!!!!

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ted, I haven't a clue as to why your e-mails don't reach me since I do receive em's from everywhere and no one has said that they can't reach me, at least that I know of.

Here it is again for you to try:

cmale@aol.com

Carolyn, and be sure to fill in the Subject area when you respond to me in case that's the problem, but if answering right off the one that I sent you that subject should automatically transfer to what you send to me. Sheesh, and I've used up all my penny postcards.LOL

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 2:27 PM

Carolyn-- Let's use D-mail to communicate. I can comminicate with others but not your address either that or use my phone # or standard mail. I want to resolve this but I just can not get thru to you on standard e-mail. I have them in my out box showing they went out to your address, Very frusterating our part.

To whoever is using aol mail: check your spam folder now and then. I have a lot of trouble with that myself. Can't seem to get any mail settings right, either in Outlook or aol to fix it. Even my good friends and contacts email ends up in spam and the bad stuff in my inbox. I hate it.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

I have checked my spam folder for anything Ted might have sent, so Ted, I guess it's DG mail for us, and it won't be ASAP b'c I've got a lot on my plate right now but will get back to you eventually.

And what's on one of my plates are almost ripe fruits for many favorites sent to me from PA b'c I happened to mention that my own plants are pathetic this year. LOL But how am I going to eat 10 huge beesteaks and hearts quick enough. I offered some to Ed, who delivers my meals on wheels but he and his wife are going camping this weekend so he politely declined.

Carolyn, who notes that in the past DG has had problems with AOL e-mail addresses but its the only site that does that of the ones that I go to, so nothing I can do about that

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

I have a suggestion for people having trouble with AOL. Click to the right of the logout text on "Options" (upper right corner of display) on the left of the new window click on "Spam Settings". One thing to try is to turn off Spam filtering completely. I'm able to do this and I only get one or two spam mails a month because I've been careful about not posting my email address online. It is worth a try and you can put it back later if you get too much spam. Do not open any mail that looks like spam rather delete it or move it to your spam folder. This is probably not the problem but it is one way to be sure that nothing is misinterpreted as spam. I think more likely ted somehow got into your blocked list which you can also see from the same page at AOL. Remove him from your blocked list if you find him there and click save on the AOL page to keep the new settings.

AOL has more global blocking at a higher level before anything gets to us if they find that a certain address has been a source of spam, and they sometimes make mistakes. It is possible that Ted's address or even a range of addresses have been blocked by AOL. Ted if you have trouble sending to any AOL address you should contact postmaster@aol.com and ask them if you've been blocked and state that you are not a spammer. They are often slow to respond since they have so many users.

Most computer professionals have an intense dislike for AOL and it is a good idea to make a new account with a free online email provider such as gmail. You can often use the same name or something very similar. This is really the best solution. I do have an AOL account but it is from many years (at least a decade) ago and I do not use it for anything important.

I see that there is even a postmaster website at AOL where you can see the many options for support with mail issues:
http://postmaster.aol.com/

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 11:05 AM

Pete -- I don't have problems with others?
Ted

Trumbull, CT(Zone 7a)

You might send an email to the aol postmaster then and just describe the problem, give them any aol email addresses that do not work for you. Do you get a bounced return message? Send them that also if so.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Last I checked my spam settings there were three levels one could chose. I chose the medium one and AOL ASAP sends to my spam folder most of the truly KNOWN spam ones. But every now and then a legitimate one shows up in my spam folder and I don't know why, but it happens to others as well, and I don't mean just via AOL.

I gets lots of spam sent directly and maybe b'c my e-mail addy starts cmale, as in see male, get my drift. I also do a lot of online research as well as reading/posting at several message sites.

But my AVG anti-virus software has not let me down once since I switched to that one on the advice of my computer guy Wayne. Previous to that I tried McAfee and Norton, and will never go back, and I use the FREE AVG one as well, b'c there are fancier ones that cost more money with features that I don't need.

Ted's e-mail to me did not show up in any folder, but previous to that we had communicated by e-mail, regarding how he was going to send the seeds of the currant to me, and two of those are still in my back folder, legitimately, and I used one of them to send my recent e-mail to him.

So in the past he was quite capable of returning an e-mail I'd sent him.

Who knows what lurks in the internet world. I'm still trying to figure out why when I send an e-mail to someone and cc myself it takes but a millisecond for that copy to appear in my new e-mails. LOL

I understand tomatoes much better than I do the workings of the net. LOL

Carolyn

Pete, thanks for your info. I use my aol (primary) account in MS Outlook. I checked my spam settings and it was set to 'Low' (in outlook) so I have turned off all filtering to see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll go into aol and change it on an aol webmail page. I've been thinking of getting a gmail account. I already have an aim account that I use for anything I order via the web. I call it my 'spam' account just because I know everything you order on the web gets propagated out to who knows where. We try to keep our aol account for personal mail only, so it's frustrating to have mail from friends and legitimate trusted sources end up in spam and unviewed for several days when I don't get to it.

Carolyn, we have also switched to a free Microsoft antivirus software that is wonderful. Did the same thing over the years paying for Norton and McAfee and won't ever go back. Free is good!

A picture of "Ted's Pink Currant". So delicious and they produce in the heat of summer when everting else is dormant.

Thumbnail by Tplant

They look great! And delicious! Can't wait til I can try some seed.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ted, if I get enough seed back from the folks who are growing it for me would you like me to send you some seeds so you can distribute them here at DG?

I don''t know if you ever ended up fermenting your own seed.

No one needs more than 5 seeds of fresh seed ( 2012) to get more plants than they'll ever need as long as they know how to properly germinate seeds and since currant fruits are a bag of seeds anyway they all can process their own seeds from the fruits.

I'll let you know if I have enough seeds ro send you when I receive the seed from the other folks.

Carolyn, who needs enough seed to send to the commercial places for trial as well as SSE listing as well as her own seed offer elsewhere. And then there are friends to whom she sends seeds every year as well.

Carolyn - We still can keep in touch by d-mail?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

YEs, we can still use DG mail but I wanted to post this publicaly since someone above was going to be looking for seeds , that's why and perhaps even more here who don't read/post elsewhere might want seeds as well.

When I have more private questions to ask I will do it via DG mail. ( smile)

Carolyn

Carmel, NY(Zone 6b)

T - nice to see you posting! And congrats on your namesake! Looks like a really big currant from your photo. Good job!

No, it really is half the size of a marble. I used a quarter for scale. They are just perfect to pop into your mouth or load up a sandwich. I never knew currants could taste so good. I wish I was gardening again as I would grow all that is available!

Hi Carolyn! Any word at this time about my pink currant?

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ted, I'm waiting for the folks who volunteered to grow it out to get back to me and tell me when they are going to send seeds back to me. Some in the cooler zones still have ripening fruits of many varieties, so we shall see.

When I get back the seeds, and I hope I will, I'll let you know how many I have and where we go from there.

Carolyn

Thank You!
Ted

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Nancy, just go to the top right and do a search. I entered Pink Currant.

And the e-mail situation beween Ted and me was solved b'c he got a new e-mail address which of course I'm not going to post publicaly or otherwise share. Ted himself is the only one who can do that if he wants to. And if I don't see him in the new seed offer thread I'll e-mail him and let him know it's there.

Currents, with an e are raisins, but CurrAnt with an a are is the common name for those varieties in the genus and species of tomatoes called Solanum lycopersicon.

And yes, sometimes I type the e one instead of the a one myself. LOL

Carolyn

Dearborn, MI

Darn. Caught again. I'm glad you didn't grade any of my papers in college.

Although I don't have any seeds to offer I'm glad others do. I'm confined mostly to my room and as a result my DIL moved my plant to the east side of my home and it did not do so well the last time I could see them. Maybe new plants will develop on their own. I'm just to ill to do anything at this time.

To all of you out there --Try them as they are excellent in growth and flavor. Pop them in your mouth like candy and great for growing in your earthboxes. If you don't have a sunny spot use an EB and place in a sunny area. If you need more info on EBs or anything please ask by d-mail or tdarnows12@bellsouth.net although I prefer to use an open discussion for all to share.
Ted

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 8a)

Ted, where did you discover this pink currant? I want to know the story.

Thank you

Linda

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

Linda-go back to the Tomato forum and click on the thread that Carolyn just started. One of the posts has 2 links one is to this thread and the first link is to the story of how this all started. I know there is away for me to post the link but I don't know how to on this iPad. Good luck

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Ted just mentioned in the seed offer thread that he's feeling quite ill these days, so I'll be glad to update you on how the pink currant was found since I had to know more background before I SSE listed it and Ted and I commnicated by e-mail.

But I can't do it ASAP since I'm dealing with this new computer and the 365 e-mails I had to plow through and the PM's at another site and also at other sites I have a lot of catching up to do.

And the other linkreferred to above may well have most of the background, I just don't have time to check right now.

Carolyn

Virginia Beach, VA(Zone 8a)

Thank you. I remember reading part of this a while back....Looks like it will be nice to
snack on. I've never grown a currant before.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

OTHER SPECIES

Teds Pink Currant, NY MA C, HAS, indet, reg foliage, mid-season, large production of pink currant sized fruits. This is the only pink currant I know of right now. Tim Peters bred one years ago but as far as I know no seeds are now available. Interesting background. My seeds, rather smushed up fruits , were sent to me by Ted Darnowski of Pembroke Pines, FL who posted pictures of it at Daves Garden. They looked pink to me and I asked Ted about the epidermis color but that didnt work out b/c hed never done it before which is why I asked him to send me the smushed up fruits bc hed never done fermentations either. His daughter in law had bought the plant at a nursery, road side stand, near Davie FL, and it was labeled Everglades, not Wild Everglades which is well known and is red. With few seeds I asked for some volunteers to grow it out and save seed. And they did, confirmed the epidermis was clear as it should be for pink fruits, and they sent back seeds. 2010 Seeds

Above is my listing for Ted's Pink Currant that will be in the 2013 SSE Yearbook.

All the history you want to know, and more. It's listed in the OTHER species section since it's a species different from our regular garden tomato. Regular garden tomatoes are Solanum lycopersicon and currant tomatoes are S. pimpinellifolium. There are about 15 different species of tomatoes now known.

I'll also note in the seed offer thread that the historyof the variety is here.

Carolyn

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Ted--I'm so excited to be getting some seeds of "your tomato" from Nancy. Thanks to everyone who has helped get Ted's Pink Currant into the gardening community. Can't wait to grow these in the spring.

Linda

How about that? I'm a celebrity! LOL I wish I could grow my namesake but my HEALTH JUST WON'T ALLOW IT. However I'm going to send some seed to Flip or aries44. He lives just south of me and he will take pictures for me. They are truly delicious and I know you all will enjoy. I owe everything to Carolyn for her knowledge and hard work getting my seed in SSe 2013 yearbook. I am really honored. My namesake will live on and on....

Carmel, IN(Zone 5b)

Ted--this is a well-deserved honor for you, and I'm very happy to be able to grow then in the spring. I hope to have enough plants to share at our Master Gardener plant sale, so we can spread the new variety. Thanks for sharing this with us,Ted. Your gardening legacy will live on through all of us that grow "your tomato". Thanks for giving us this opportunity.

Linda

This message was edited Dec 11, 2012 11:01 PM

Liberty Hill, TX(Zone 8a)

I'm really honored and excited to have the opportunity to grow these too. I remember when Ted started the first thread on this and I could tell by Carolyn's response that this was something special. I wonder how many times this sort of thing happens but the person doesn't realize that something is different ie. the color of the fruit. BUT Ted did notice, and has given us the chance to grow them. I always grow the yellow/white and the red ones so this will be the perfect addition. THANK YOU TED for giving us this opportunity.

Salem, NY(Zone 4b)

Lisa, actually Ted did not realize that they were pink at first so I asked him to check the epidermis to see if it was clear ( pink) or yellow (red fruits) but he'd not done that before. I just thought they look pink in the picture he showed.

I then asked him if he was going to ferment some seeds and he said he'd never done that, so then I said why don't you put some fruits in a plastic baggie and SMUSH them up and send them to me , he did, I did, and then used those seeds to distribute to some volunteers at Tville to do seed production.

Independently Nancy had seeds from Ted, I don't know in what form, and she sent me some fermented seeds to go with the ones sent to me by the Tville volunteers.

And now seeds are going to those who requested them from Nancy, some seeds she processed, and you can grow out plants and share the saved, processed seeds with others.

That's my wish and I know it's Ted's wish as well.

Carolyn

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.