-
AuthorContent
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 21, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9249027

Yep! I discovered a new variety of currant by accident. Sent seeds to Carolyn and she confirmed it and we will call it "Ted's Pink Currant" which she will try to get into the next edition of SSE. What an honor for me as I am completely disabled now and can not garden at this time. Thank You Carolyn!!!!!
Ted
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 21, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9249078

Congratulations, Ted!! I'm so sorry you can no longer garden. But I hope you will find enjoyment via others discovering, growing and enjoying this variety.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 21, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9249280

So you did get my e-mail to you Ted, and that's great. And as I remember I suggested you call it Ted's Pink Currant as well.

Four folks signed up to grow it and send seeds back to me and all checked the epidermis, which was clear, so it is pink and I should have enough seeds so that I could SSE list it as well as offer it in my next seed offer next Jan.

You also sent either seeds or fruits to Nancyruhl, and she reads and posts at Tville as well and also said she would send seeds back to me.

So I'm delighted that this all worked out for the best, and the thanks go back to you as well Ted.

Next thing is for me to share that I heard back from you with those who were growing it as well as the four folks growing Joe's Pink OXheart, a different variety where I also had few seeds.

And don't forget that I've not been able to do ANY of my own gardening since I fell and got this walker in Dec of 2004, so why not try to find some folks younger who can help out and do the work for you. ( smile)

Carolyn
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 21, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9249571

Ted, I forgot to say that I will also be sending seeds to some commercial seed sites for trial where I know the owners well, and have for many years. And that includes some pretty darn good places IMO.

But I need a favor from you.

Would you please answer me back from the real e-mail I sent you, not DG mail, which I never sent, b'c there is some info I need from you that doesn't belong here in public.

If you need to find a topic to put in that e-mail you can ask me what happened today when I finally was able to get out and drive my own car which was the first time since last November.

Thanks so much, and remember you didn't just send me the seeds, as I suggested you smushed up a number of fruits and put them in a plastic baggie and I set them up for fermentation here at home. LOL

Carolyn
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

August 22, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9250026

Mighty tasty and prolific currant named after you. Congratulations.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9250033

CAROLYN --I DID E-MAIL YOU THREE TIMES AND NEVER GOT A REPLY. IT WAS ON YOUR ADDRESS THAT YOU HAD ON THE E-MAIL ADDRESS THAT YOU SENT TO ME? IT SEEMS I CAN NOT REACH YOU ? I TRIED REPLY ON YOUR FIRST MAIL AND IT DID NOT GO THRU. SENT TWO MORE INDIVIDUAL AND THOUGHT THAT YOU DID NOT REPLY ? WEIRD ??? I receive your mail but you do not receive mine ? Please advise ?
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2012
10:09 AM

Post #9250034

Thank You Nancy. They are delicious...
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 22, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9250043

If anyone needs to reach me 954 983-5868 or by mail Ted Darnowski
6731 sw 11 st, Pembroke Pines, Fl 33023-1618. I'd welcome the contact...NOW LETS GET TO BACK TO THE REAL EB'S. THEY PRODUCE!!!!
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 22, 2012
2:23 PM

Post #9250306

Ted, I haven't a clue as to why your e-mails don't reach me since I do receive em's from everywhere and no one has said that they can't reach me, at least that I know of.

Here it is again for you to try:

cmale@aol.com

Carolyn, and be sure to fill in the Subject area when you respond to me in case that's the problem, but if answering right off the one that I sent you that subject should automatically transfer to what you send to me. Sheesh, and I've used up all my penny postcards.LOL

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 2:27 PM
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 24, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9252257

Carolyn-- Let's use D-mail to communicate. I can comminicate with others but not your address either that or use my phone # or standard mail. I want to resolve this but I just can not get thru to you on standard e-mail. I have them in my out box showing they went out to your address, Very frusterating our part.
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
11:33 AM

Post #9252276

To whoever is using aol mail: check your spam folder now and then. I have a lot of trouble with that myself. Can't seem to get any mail settings right, either in Outlook or aol to fix it. Even my good friends and contacts email ends up in spam and the bad stuff in my inbox. I hate it.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 25, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9253123

I have checked my spam folder for anything Ted might have sent, so Ted, I guess it's DG mail for us, and it won't be ASAP b'c I've got a lot on my plate right now but will get back to you eventually.

And what's on one of my plates are almost ripe fruits for many favorites sent to me from PA b'c I happened to mention that my own plants are pathetic this year. LOL But how am I going to eat 10 huge beesteaks and hearts quick enough. I offered some to Ed, who delivers my meals on wheels but he and his wife are going camping this weekend so he politely declined.

Carolyn, who notes that in the past DG has had problems with AOL e-mail addresses but its the only site that does that of the ones that I go to, so nothing I can do about that

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9253157

I have a suggestion for people having trouble with AOL. Click to the right of the logout text on "Options" (upper right corner of display) on the left of the new window click on "Spam Settings". One thing to try is to turn off Spam filtering completely. I'm able to do this and I only get one or two spam mails a month because I've been careful about not posting my email address online. It is worth a try and you can put it back later if you get too much spam. Do not open any mail that looks like spam rather delete it or move it to your spam folder. This is probably not the problem but it is one way to be sure that nothing is misinterpreted as spam. I think more likely ted somehow got into your blocked list which you can also see from the same page at AOL. Remove him from your blocked list if you find him there and click save on the AOL page to keep the new settings.

AOL has more global blocking at a higher level before anything gets to us if they find that a certain address has been a source of spam, and they sometimes make mistakes. It is possible that Ted's address or even a range of addresses have been blocked by AOL. Ted if you have trouble sending to any AOL address you should contact postmaster@aol.com and ask them if you've been blocked and state that you are not a spammer. They are often slow to respond since they have so many users.

Most computer professionals have an intense dislike for AOL and it is a good idea to make a new account with a free online email provider such as gmail. You can often use the same name or something very similar. This is really the best solution. I do have an AOL account but it is from many years (at least a decade) ago and I do not use it for anything important.

I see that there is even a postmaster website at AOL where you can see the many options for support with mail issues:
http://postmaster.aol.com/

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 11:05 AM
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 25, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9253287

Pete -- I don't have problems with others?
Ted

PeteB7

PeteB7
Trumbull, CT
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9253326

You might send an email to the aol postmaster then and just describe the problem, give them any aol email addresses that do not work for you. Do you get a bounced return message? Send them that also if so.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 25, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9253337

Last I checked my spam settings there were three levels one could chose. I chose the medium one and AOL ASAP sends to my spam folder most of the truly KNOWN spam ones. But every now and then a legitimate one shows up in my spam folder and I don't know why, but it happens to others as well, and I don't mean just via AOL.

I gets lots of spam sent directly and maybe b'c my e-mail addy starts cmale, as in see male, get my drift. I also do a lot of online research as well as reading/posting at several message sites.

But my AVG anti-virus software has not let me down once since I switched to that one on the advice of my computer guy Wayne. Previous to that I tried McAfee and Norton, and will never go back, and I use the FREE AVG one as well, b'c there are fancier ones that cost more money with features that I don't need.

Ted's e-mail to me did not show up in any folder, but previous to that we had communicated by e-mail, regarding how he was going to send the seeds of the currant to me, and two of those are still in my back folder, legitimately, and I used one of them to send my recent e-mail to him.

So in the past he was quite capable of returning an e-mail I'd sent him.

Who knows what lurks in the internet world. I'm still trying to figure out why when I send an e-mail to someone and cc myself it takes but a millisecond for that copy to appear in my new e-mails. LOL

I understand tomatoes much better than I do the workings of the net. LOL

Carolyn
OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
6:49 AM

Post #9255232

Pete, thanks for your info. I use my aol (primary) account in MS Outlook. I checked my spam settings and it was set to 'Low' (in outlook) so I have turned off all filtering to see what happens. If that doesn't work, I'll go into aol and change it on an aol webmail page. I've been thinking of getting a gmail account. I already have an aim account that I use for anything I order via the web. I call it my 'spam' account just because I know everything you order on the web gets propagated out to who knows where. We try to keep our aol account for personal mail only, so it's frustrating to have mail from friends and legitimate trusted sources end up in spam and unviewed for several days when I don't get to it.

Carolyn, we have also switched to a free Microsoft antivirus software that is wonderful. Did the same thing over the years paying for Norton and McAfee and won't ever go back. Free is good!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9257174

A picture of "Ted's Pink Currant". So delicious and they produce in the heat of summer when everting else is dormant.

Thumbnail by Tplant
Click the image for an enlarged view.

OutsidePlaying
Laceys Spring, AL
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
1:47 PM

Post #9257298

They look great! And delicious! Can't wait til I can try some seed.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 28, 2012
5:55 PM

Post #9257618

Ted, if I get enough seed back from the folks who are growing it for me would you like me to send you some seeds so you can distribute them here at DG?

I don''t know if you ever ended up fermenting your own seed.

No one needs more than 5 seeds of fresh seed ( 2012) to get more plants than they'll ever need as long as they know how to properly germinate seeds and since currant fruits are a bag of seeds anyway they all can process their own seeds from the fruits.

I'll let you know if I have enough seeds ro send you when I receive the seed from the other folks.

Carolyn, who needs enough seed to send to the commercial places for trial as well as SSE listing as well as her own seed offer elsewhere. And then there are friends to whom she sends seeds every year as well.

Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 29, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9258332

Carolyn - We still can keep in touch by d-mail?
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 29, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9258487

YEs, we can still use DG mail but I wanted to post this publicaly since someone above was going to be looking for seeds , that's why and perhaps even more here who don't read/post elsewhere might want seeds as well.

When I have more private questions to ask I will do it via DG mail. ( smile)

Carolyn

Sequee
Carmel, NY
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9259160

T - nice to see you posting! And congrats on your namesake! Looks like a really big currant from your photo. Good job!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2012
12:27 PM

Post #9259479

No, it really is half the size of a marble. I used a quarter for scale. They are just perfect to pop into your mouth or load up a sandwich. I never knew currants could taste so good. I wish I was gardening again as I would grow all that is available!
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 27, 2012
10:43 AM

Post #9287999

Hi Carolyn! Any word at this time about my pink currant?
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

September 27, 2012
2:57 PM

Post #9288205

Ted, I'm waiting for the folks who volunteered to grow it out to get back to me and tell me when they are going to send seeds back to me. Some in the cooler zones still have ripening fruits of many varieties, so we shall see.

When I get back the seeds, and I hope I will, I'll let you know how many I have and where we go from there.

Carolyn
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

September 28, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9289012

Thank You!
Ted
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 2, 2012
12:00 PM

Post #9347781

Nancy, just go to the top right and do a search. I entered Pink Currant.

And the e-mail situation beween Ted and me was solved b'c he got a new e-mail address which of course I'm not going to post publicaly or otherwise share. Ted himself is the only one who can do that if he wants to. And if I don't see him in the new seed offer thread I'll e-mail him and let him know it's there.

Currents, with an e are raisins, but CurrAnt with an a are is the common name for those varieties in the genus and species of tomatoes called Solanum lycopersicon.

And yes, sometimes I type the e one instead of the a one myself. LOL

Carolyn
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

December 2, 2012
1:33 PM

Post #9347869

Darn. Caught again. I'm glad you didn't grade any of my papers in college.
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 4, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9349615

Although I don't have any seeds to offer I'm glad others do. I'm confined mostly to my room and as a result my DIL moved my plant to the east side of my home and it did not do so well the last time I could see them. Maybe new plants will develop on their own. I'm just to ill to do anything at this time.

To all of you out there --Try them as they are excellent in growth and flavor. Pop them in your mouth like candy and great for growing in your earthboxes. If you don't have a sunny spot use an EB and place in a sunny area. If you need more info on EBs or anything please ask by d-mail or tdarnows12@bellsouth.net although I prefer to use an open discussion for all to share.
Ted
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9350050

Ted, where did you discover this pink currant? I want to know the story.

Thank you

Linda
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 4, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9350106

Linda-go back to the Tomato forum and click on the thread that Carolyn just started. One of the posts has 2 links one is to this thread and the first link is to the story of how this all started. I know there is away for me to post the link but I don't know how to on this iPad. Good luck
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 5, 2012
8:05 AM

Post #9350375

Ted just mentioned in the seed offer thread that he's feeling quite ill these days, so I'll be glad to update you on how the pink currant was found since I had to know more background before I SSE listed it and Ted and I commnicated by e-mail.

But I can't do it ASAP since I'm dealing with this new computer and the 365 e-mails I had to plow through and the PM's at another site and also at other sites I have a lot of catching up to do.

And the other linkreferred to above may well have most of the background, I just don't have time to check right now.

Carolyn
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

December 5, 2012
2:29 PM

Post #9350697

Thank you. I remember reading part of this a while back...Looks like it will be nice to
snack on. I've never grown a currant before.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 5, 2012
3:25 PM

Post #9350742

OTHER SPECIES

Ted’s Pink Currant, NY MA C, HAS, indet, reg foliage, mid-season, large production of pink currant sized fruits. This is the only pink currant I know of right now. Tim Peters bred one years ago but as far as I know no seeds are now available. Interesting background. My seeds, rather smushed up fruits , were sent to me by Ted Darnowski of Pembroke Pines, FL who posted pictures of it at Dave’s Garden. They looked pink to me and I asked Ted about the epidermis color but that didn’t work out b/c he’d never done it before which is why I asked him to send me the smushed up fruits b’c he’d never done fermentations either. His daughter in law had bought the plant at a nursery, road side stand, near Davie FL, and it was labeled Everglades, not Wild Everglades which is well known and is red. With few seeds I asked for some volunteers to grow it out and save seed. And they did, confirmed the epidermis was clear as it should be for pink fruits, and they sent back seeds. 2010 Seeds

Above is my listing for Ted's Pink Currant that will be in the 2013 SSE Yearbook.

All the history you want to know, and more. It's listed in the OTHER species section since it's a species different from our regular garden tomato. Regular garden tomatoes are Solanum lycopersicon and currant tomatoes are S. pimpinellifolium. There are about 15 different species of tomatoes now known.

I'll also note in the seed offer thread that the historyof the variety is here.

Carolyn
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 10, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9355109

Ted--I'm so excited to be getting some seeds of "your tomato" from Nancy. Thanks to everyone who has helped get Ted's Pink Currant into the gardening community. Can't wait to grow these in the spring.

Linda
Tplant
Pembroke Pines, FL
(Zone 10a)

December 11, 2012
11:42 AM

Post #9355666

How about that? I'm a celebrity! LOL I wish I could grow my namesake but my HEALTH JUST WON'T ALLOW IT. However I'm going to send some seed to Flip or aries44. He lives just south of me and he will take pictures for me. They are truly delicious and I know you all will enjoy. I owe everything to Carolyn for her knowledge and hard work getting my seed in SSe 2013 yearbook. I am really honored. My namesake will live on and on...
mom2goldens
Carmel, IN
(Zone 5b)

December 11, 2012
7:58 PM

Post #9356000

Ted--this is a well-deserved honor for you, and I'm very happy to be able to grow then in the spring. I hope to have enough plants to share at our Master Gardener plant sale, so we can spread the new variety. Thanks for sharing this with us,Ted. Your gardening legacy will live on through all of us that grow "your tomato". Thanks for giving us this opportunity.

Linda

This message was edited Dec 11, 2012 11:01 PM
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 11, 2012
8:47 PM

Post #9356028

I'm really honored and excited to have the opportunity to grow these too. I remember when Ted started the first thread on this and I could tell by Carolyn's response that this was something special. I wonder how many times this sort of thing happens but the person doesn't realize that something is different ie. the color of the fruit. BUT Ted did notice, and has given us the chance to grow them. I always grow the yellow/white and the red ones so this will be the perfect addition. THANK YOU TED for giving us this opportunity.

Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 12, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9356405

Lisa, actually Ted did not realize that they were pink at first so I asked him to check the epidermis to see if it was clear ( pink) or yellow (red fruits) but he'd not done that before. I just thought they look pink in the picture he showed.

I then asked him if he was going to ferment some seeds and he said he'd never done that, so then I said why don't you put some fruits in a plastic baggie and SMUSH them up and send them to me , he did, I did, and then used those seeds to distribute to some volunteers at Tville to do seed production.

Independently Nancy had seeds from Ted, I don't know in what form, and she sent me some fermented seeds to go with the ones sent to me by the Tville volunteers.

And now seeds are going to those who requested them from Nancy, some seeds she processed, and you can grow out plants and share the saved, processed seeds with others.

That's my wish and I know it's Ted's wish as well.

Carolyn
hrp50
Carrollton, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2012
10:33 AM

Post #9356432

Carolyn,
I received some seeds from Nancy and I would like to share some from my plants with friends but I've never "fermented" or "processed" seeds before. Can you point me to a tutorial on DG or on some other site?
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 12, 2012
11:14 AM

Post #9356449

Thanks Carolyn, Im just happy to be involved.
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 12, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9356489

Edited because I can't get the link to post no matter what I do.
:-(

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 10:22 AM
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
10:14 PM

Post #9356974

Here is a link to Dave Whitinger's article from 2007 describing the method for saving seeds using fermentation:
http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/23/

This seems to work.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 2:16 AM
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 12, 2012
10:19 PM

Post #9356976

Now I will try the one I found on Tatiana's site and see if I have any better luck than Doug!

http://t.tatianastomatobase.com:88/wiki/A_Beginner’s_Guide_To_Saving_Tomato_Seeds_Using_Fermentation

This seems to work for me. When I tried Doug's all I got was the title with no text. I also cannot see any difference in the addresses but I don't understand the vagaries of computers!! Hopefully it works for the rest of you. Both articles have been helpful to me.

This message was edited Dec 13, 2012 2:22 AM
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

December 13, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9357094

http://faq.gardenweb.com/faq/lists/tomato/2005025852004159.html

Above is a link to a FAQ at GW and is the best article I know of for learning about how to prevent cross pollination. And I'm posting it b'c the degree of seed purity you want is based on what you do about that. For most of us it doesn't make that much difference in terms of home use, but if sharing seeds with others it may, that's a personal choice.

After saving tomato seed since the late 80's and thousands of varieties at that, I guess I have some opinions about it. When making seed offers and sending seeds for trial to some seed sites, etc., I know the cross pollination rate wherever I grow tomatoes, so don't use bagging or geographic isolation and my crossing rate is about 5%. And that means that seed saved from about 95 varieties will be pretty darn pure.

But never ever save seed from just one fruit on a plant, always many from one plant, better still is many fruits from two plants of the same variety, well you get the picture.

I also prefer to use a natural method such as fermentation rather than the bleach method that Tania uses and most hybrid seed is also fermented at one point in the seed processing as well, and probably for the same reason. In addition, there is no data to say how effective using bleach is in removing pathogens from the seed surface while there is for fermentation. Pathogens on the seed coat are usually the fungal ones that cause foliage infections and a few other fungal ones that cause systemic infections such as Fusarium and Verticillium. All viruses are in the endosperm of the seed as well as most bacterial infections tested for and nothing can be done about the viruses but hot water treatment can be done for the bacterial ones. But it's the old story...don't try this at home. LOL

The method linked to by Dave uses fermentation but almost all of my experienced tomato friends don't use sieves or stuff like that. For any of you who have my book you'll also find a step by step process, with pictures.

Maybe if you're doing it for the first time you could use some cheapie tomatoes form the grocery store to practice, as others have done.

And here's a link to how Mike Dunton at Victory Seed processes his tomato seeds by fermentation, which is closest to what I do;

http://www.vintageveggies.com/information/seedsave_tomato.html

Would it be an interesting idea for me to put up a thread about saving seed titled FOTPC ( fermentation of Ted's Pink Currant), ahem, when it gets near to the time when most folks would be doing it? LOL When you read the cross pollination link you'll see that some save from the earliest fruits b'c they have the most pollinators around later, and many like myself save and process seeds much later b'c we have pollinators around most often in the early part of the season.

If you want I can fetch a link from SESE done by Dr. Jeff McCormack which goes into all the variables of cross pollination itself and how weather and kind of pollinator influences that. It's an excellent article and perhaps some of you might be interested in that enough to go find it for yourself. SESE is Southern Exposure Seed Exchange and you can Google it.

I hope the above helps.

Carolyn
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

December 13, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9357166

Thank you gardadore
The problem is with the apostrophe in beginner's. There appears to be 3 characters there with hexidecimal codes of E2 80 99. Decimal that is 226 128 and 153 which are all in the extended ascii set. My system interprets them as ’. If I look them up it depends on what list you use.

Generally these characters shouldn't be in file names.

# pound < left angle bracket $ dollar sign + plus sign
% percent > right angle bracket ! exclamation point ` backtick
& ampersand * asterisk ‘ single quotes | pipe
{ left bracket ? question mark “ double quotes = equal sign
} right bracket / forward slash : colon
\ back slash blank spaces @ at sign

This link talks about why. They mean different things to different systems. Anything posted to the web will Be handled by at least 3 systems, most likely 3 different operating systems.

I'm deleting my previous post so that people aren't wasting their time following a bad link.

I'll save some seed a offer it in the fall unless something happens to my tomatoes.
gardadore
Saylorsburg, PA
(Zone 6a)

December 13, 2012
12:08 PM

Post #9357372

Thanks Carolyn for your input about the two methods of seed saving presented here. I am glad you don't see any merit in the bleaching because I wondered about that. I haven't ever done that. But I must confess that this inexperienced seed saver does like the use of a sieve at the end. I use a tea sieve since I don't save a lot an find it very useful for getting out a lot of the water before dumping them on a paper plate. I use a paper towel to mop up the bottom of the sieve and that does take away a lot of the water. I had never read the Victory Seeds one and like his suggestions very much. That's why I love this forum - so much valuable input and good ideas!
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

July 18, 2013
1:38 PM

Post #9603896

Just wondered if anyone had a chance to try their Ted's Pink Currant.
kerryb
Danbury, CT

July 19, 2013
6:16 AM

Post #9604672

Thanks Nancy for the seeds! I actually ate my first one yesterday. Great tasting and so cute!!! Small plant in stature but quite sprawling- it grew through my deer fencing, although it appears they have not discovered it yet. Thanks to Ted for this tasty discovery!
jabes
Cape Coral, FL

July 29, 2013
6:16 PM

Post #9615826

I know this thread is not so new, but I do have and am harvesting the everglades tomato. Will post pictures. Thought I had posted all this before but as I am not an everyday reader I have lost my way here. Is anyone else doing this and is anyone interested in this great little tomato? No , it is NOT a currant. It is a tomato which you will see when I get the picture up. Posting now tho, just in case. Be patient, please.
First pic is the little guys just as they came up several months ago.

Thumbnail by jabes
Click the image for an enlarged view.

1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

July 29, 2013
9:09 PM

Post #9616007

Teds's Pink Currant is growing in my garden. Loaded with fruit, they aren't ripe yet. I will let you know when they are. Shouldn't be long.

Nola_Nigella

Nola_Nigella
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9b)

August 1, 2013
4:42 PM

Post #9618775

I'd love to try these. Today, I got a new order of seeds from TomatoFest, too, if anyone's interested in a trade.
nancyruhl
Dearborn, MI

August 1, 2013
5:45 PM

Post #9618840

Nola_Nigella, I still have some seeds. Just dmail me your info.
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 4, 2013
9:36 AM

Post #9621025

Mine may be producing. I don't know if these are red or pink...they do look different then other reds. I only have pinks and whites I think.
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 4, 2013
11:07 AM

Post #9621093

They are pink, which is the novelty part of the ones Ted found.

If you have trouble telling a red tomato from a pink tomato it's best to take a look at the epidermis.

Peel off some of that thin epidermis from both a known red and a known pink, then same for this currant one.

Hold them up to the light. If the epidermis is yellow, the fruit is red and if the epidermis is clear the fruit is pink. Having the known comparison ones does help.

Carolyn
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 30, 2013
11:29 AM

Post #9674227

I haven't been on DG in forever but the ones I have are pink. Yahhh...
zinniared
Virginia Beach, VA
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2013
8:08 AM

Post #9679258

I planted mine in a grow bag, and neglected the poor thing. It did have tomatoes on it,
and they were pink. Sorry to say they did not impress me. Maybe they would have
tasted better if I had taken care of the plant. The grow bag didn't have much soil in it.
kerryb
Danbury, CT

October 9, 2013
1:37 PM

Post #9682249

I grew Ted's Pink Currant and it produced hundreds of beautiful tiny tomatoes which tasted delicious and is actually still going strong here in Connecticut. It has beautiful kind of lacy foliage and is very sprawling in its habit. Luckily I had planted it in it's own little corner! It grew through the deer netting around the garden :)
1lisac
Liberty Hill, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 15, 2013
7:26 PM

Post #9686869

Mixed with red and yellow ones is really pretty. All my currant tomato plants grow huge. But i can't resist these little "salmon eggs".

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America