Couldn't stay away/You won't believe this!

Arlington, TX

I thought I wasn't going to renew but I did.

Today I got home and found tadpoles in my pond! I had seen eggs but was in denial. Is it global warming? Do they know something about the upcoming winter we don't? Crazy but cool because I am taking some to school. Anyone know what to feed the small ones? I know they eat algae but are there any tricks or tips to keep them alive. It would be interesting to have a few survive to froghood (is that a word?)

C

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

mosquitoes, will they survive at all after that spraying you had? They happen when it rains, and, yes, they will probably make it to the point of losing their tails before it gets too cold, muddy water, not clean, with slow circulation to keep aeration...plants to cling to under the surface of th water, and some to cling to when they come up for air...

Arlington, TX

No, they are not mosquitos. I collected them and trust me I know a tadpole when I see one. For goodness sake I teach biology. And I hope they survive.
C

Arlington, TX

Oh I forgot the pics!

Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw Thumbnail by newtonsthirdlaw
Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Sorry C- I meant they snack on mosquitoes - I trust you to know a tadpole at any stage! And did Arlington get the west nile spray as I heard? or were these covered?

Arlington, TX

Ground spraying and I keep mosquito dunks in the pond to keep out mosquitos. I think they eat algae early on.
C

Grand Saline, TX(Zone 7b)

We've raised tadpoles and catfish fingerlings on alfalfa pellets, it's high in protein. Know anyone with cattle, horses, rabbits or guinea pigs that you get a little bit from?

Arlington, TX

Not really. I think I will go to the pet store and see if they have baby fish food. Not sure how many will survive the west nile efforts outside either.
C

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

We've had many a toad/frog from tadpoles at our house. If you're worried about the spraying, you can keep them in an aquarium indoors. We just used the water from the pond to fill ( a few inches) the aquarium, put a rock or branch so they could get out of the water when they get their legs & gave them pond fish food. We let them go as soon as they had all four legs.

Austin, TX(Zone 8b)

I have a small pond and get lots of tadpoles. They will eat fish food. Just get the wafer food in the pet section at the grocery store. Sooner than you think, they will be hopping out into the garden to eat bugs!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Congratulations on your babies and welcome back!

Belton, TX

We used to feed them with fishfood...any place that sells fish...so easy to sprinkle over the water at night...lots of new tads here as well! LOL

Garland, TX(Zone 8a)

Y'all actually feed them? I've never even thought of that. When I first had them, I googled tadpoles to see if there was anything to do, and it said their primary food was algae. I have plenty of that, so I've never added anything else.

Patio, who loves her tadpoles and teeny little toads

Fulshear, TX(Zone 9b)

As long as there is plenty of algae in the water you don't have to feed them.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images