-
AuthorContent
Ollie
Menahga, MN
(Zone 3b)

August 21, 2012
3:00 PM

Post #9249264

I grow my tomatoes in homemade grow boxes, and have had great success...until this year. The plants were huge and like a jungle, but not too many tomatoes, and now they have a lot of BER. I thought perhaps I had used a fertilizer with too much nitrogen, and that kept the needed calcium at bay. But now a number of other area gardeners are complaining about the very same thing. We had a very hot summer, but other than that, I can't think of why we would have this problem. Any answers out there?
Carolyn
Salem, NY
(Zone 4b)

August 22, 2012
4:43 AM

Post #9249720

Ollie, I knew there were lots and lots of threads here about BER so did a search and here's the results:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/search.php?q=blossom end rot&submit= Search forums

Choose the ones that are noted as appearing in the Tomato Forum and I'm sure it will help.

Carolyn, who suggests that you read more than one of those threads since some have to do with earthboxes and some with inground plants.

Ollie
Menahga, MN
(Zone 3b)

August 22, 2012
5:38 AM

Post #9249759

Oh, my goodness, thank you, Carolyn...
Ollie
Menahga, MN
(Zone 3b)

September 4, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9264367

Well, this is a few weeks later, and the BER seems to have disappeared. Now I have lovely big healthy ripe ones. Since others here are getting nice fruit now, too, I am assuming it was the weather.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Tomatoes Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Blossom End Rot tiG 34 Mar 17, 2013 10:29 PM
TOMATOES ARE SPLITTING oblambert 31 Sep 11, 2012 7:13 PM
Principe Borghese/Juliet in containers? shane478 7 Feb 19, 2009 4:20 AM
Disease? Any idea what this is? BudZander 31 Apr 21, 2010 6:48 AM
Tree Tomato ?? faronell 10 Aug 3, 2007 1:23 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America