Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Canning, Freezing and Drying: canning vegetable soup question

Communities > Forums > Canning, Freezing and Drying
bookmark
Forum: Canning, Freezing and DryingReplies: 19, Views: 247
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 21, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9249408

I am making the vegetable soup recipe in the Ball Blue book. Can I add grocery store canned peas to the mixture?
jomoncon
New Orleans, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9249996

I think the canned peas would turn into mush with the pressure canning. Maybe try some frozen peas instead.
Jo-Ann
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
11:21 AM

Post #9250101

Thank you. I had not even thought of the frozen. You can tell I am not a pea lover lol...However they do add something to soups.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 22, 2012
2:45 PM

Post #9250347

Save the frozen peas and add them when you open and re-heat a jar of soup!
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 22, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9250734

Darius
That is what I decided to do today. So easy and don't have to worry about spoiling the mix.

Thumbnail by PhyllisJ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 23, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9251032

Very nice!

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9251105

Looks good, Phyllis!
PhyllisJ
Johnson City, TN
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
1:34 PM

Post #9251425

Thanks so much. I am about canned out for the season lol. A couple more runs of tomatoes and putting up the cushaw then time to rest. I am looking forward to making apple butter this fall though.

Thumbnail by PhyllisJ
Click the image for an enlarged view.

ves522

ves522
Jim Falls, WI
(Zone 4a)

August 24, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9251958

That is going to taste so good this winter! You almost make me want to do more canning again! LOL
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2013
5:05 PM

Post #9375685

Trolling for people who can soup...I came across this post. I have a questions I am hoping someone can answer.
I made potato and ham soup, put it in mason jars. They all "sealed". How long will they store for? Out of 7 jars, I only have 2 left - they are in the fridge - but for future reference?
No pressure cooker, no cold water bath, nothing special with this batch. Just used the jars for storage and I realized they sealed themselves.

Thanks in advance.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 4, 2013
5:41 PM

Post #9375713

Minnesippi, not a good plan. Anything that is put into a container while warm will "seal" as it cools down, even in plastic containers, but not enough for storage. Please don't try to can anything at all without a water bath, and even then just acidic items like tomatoes and some fruits. For the soup you've made, I wouldn't keep it in the fridge for more than a week; however long you'd leave ham in the fridge on it's own.

Feel free to D-mail me if you need some pointers!

Lanakila
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 4, 2013
5:44 PM

Post #9375719

Thanks you.
I figured this batch was strictly a frigde batch - should be gone this weekend anyway. I love it :)

I just started canning last year. Made salsa and pickles. They had cold water bath - but I shattered so many jars in the sink - how do I keep that from happening?

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 5, 2013
8:01 AM

Post #9376079

Tell me why you were putting them into the sink. That'll help me troubleshoot the breakage.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
7:09 AM

Post #9377015

That's where I put my water/ice. Im probably doing it all wrong :/
Doug9345
Durhamville, NY
(Zone 5b)

January 6, 2013
3:31 PM

Post #9377478

Explain cold water bath please. I was going to say there is no cold water bath in canning, but a thought just went through my head. Are you following the directions for canning in metal cans? If I remember the instructions right you dump the pressure on the canner and put the cans in cold water. That is NOT how you do glass jars. I'd be surprised if ANY jars survive that treatment.
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 6, 2013
4:47 PM

Post #9377577

:/ I knew I was doing it wrong. :( Luckily we go through everything so fast that it hasnt mattered. It has been only salsa thus far. I actually only had 2 jars break on me - which wasnt too bad considering how many I did.
The jams & pickles I did went on the stove in the canner...so Im pretty sure those were done correctly.
I must have been a man in a former life :) - I wasnt following any directions...just listening to what others have said and I guess I misinterpreted something somewhere. Better get my canning books from the library...before I start growing this years crop.
Thank you for clearing it up for me. That would have been awful come this fall when I harvest.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

January 7, 2013
4:17 PM

Post #9378518

Minnesippi, don't fret a bit! We've all done things a little "unique" a time or two ;)
If you get only one book on canning, get the Ball Blue Book on Canning. Your local USDA Extension Office will also have lots of FREE literature about canning. Your tax monies pay for it, so be sure to use it! Drop me a D-Mail if you ever have questions!
minnesippi
Oakdale, MN
(Zone 4a)

January 7, 2013
5:18 PM

Post #9378596

My Ball book shipped from B&N today :) I ordered it last night...thought I'd better :/ :)
Grandma never taught me and Mom never did it...so I didnt have a very good "start". I WILL "learn" my kids - and my hubby :)
bonehead
Cedarhome, WA
(Zone 8b)

February 14, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9418870

Best of luck Minnesippi! Once you get the canning bug and realize how much produce you can put up from your gardens or farmers markets, you will be hooked. As with the others, please do pay close attention to USDA recommendations (your Ball book will follow those well) as this is directly related to food safety. You might also check with your local County Extension office to see if they offer a canning class. I went through a 'master canner program' about 30 years ago when I was just beginning and learned TONS. The course was free, with the caveat that students provide X hours (I forget how many) in return to the community. I did this by managing my local community fair canned goods section.

darius

darius
So.App.Mtns.
United States
(Zone 5b)

August 16, 2013
4:00 PM

Post #9632771

One thing to keep in mind is that older Ball recipes in their earlier books have been revised for more safety. If you are not sure you have the latest versions, just type "USDA canning" in a Search Engine.

In addition to canning, I also make a LOT of lacto-fermented veggies in the Fall once it's cooler out in my root cellar for storage... certainly a very different process from canning, and offers healthier foods as a result of the lactobacillus actions on the veggies.

You might remember sauerkraut and garlic dills made by your grandmother, or great-grandmother, in a crock with salt but no vinegar vinegar. That's lacto-fermenting, finally starting to make a come-back because they are so healthy.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Canning, Freezing and Drying Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Dehydration Grits 33 Jul 5, 2010 7:08 AM
The secret to excellent salsa dave 11 Apr 10, 2012 8:43 PM
Question on Canning Cucumber Pickles Karrie20x 18 Mar 21, 2008 3:53 AM
More Unusual Canning Recipes darius 61 Aug 18, 2014 4:11 PM
Crisp Claussen Pickle recipe? momof2d 60 Sep 26, 2008 6:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America