Photo by Melody

Australian and New Zealand Gardening: BRUGMANSIAS.. Now that Spring is almost here..

Communities > Forums > Australian and New Zealand Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Australian and New Zealand GardeningReplies: 158, Views: 1,184
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9249623

You can feel it in the air...all the Brugmansias know it's coming.
They are all starting to move and some are starting to put out their buds...
Lots of chat last month and there wasn't much in flower, but we still had lots of interesting discussions...
Now that Spring is almost here, the planting will soon start and the dreams will begin again.

I did hope that we might have a new Sphaero this year...it still might happen, if not, then there's always next year...
Here is my Sanguinea, so at least we have a representative of the Sphaero family...
We came from here http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1271565/

Thumbnail by Seachanger
Click the image for an enlarged view.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 21, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9249637

Congratulations Dianne ...well done !

Which one is it ?

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2012
9:55 PM

Post #9249639

Sorry to confuse you Chrissy, but this is a Sanguinea that I bought...not a seedling that I grew...

Without a doubt, the Brugmansia that has been the best all winter in my garden, has been Tantra...
I pollinated it in autumn and it has held the pods and continued to flower all winter...I like it because it's a slow grower, so it doesn't take much maintenance at all and lives very happily in a large pot.
The flowers in the pic are finished but there are a lot more buds to open still.

The postman delivered my parcel from BGI today...new labels, more vials, vial box, new colour chart and better
pollen collecting scissors...so I'm ready!!!!!

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 21, 2012
10:03 PM

Post #9249645

Ooopsy I can't see Brugmansia in the heading could you do it again and insert this thread into it ? else people may not know it is a Brug thread. Just use your picture again.

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 21, 2012
11:09 PM

Post #9249664

Hooray, sun...
The sun has been out all day here. Spring is definitely around the corner.
Dianne, I have to say that you all know my favorite year round brug...need I name him...lol

Mango Cornet is now running a close second. It has bloomed most of the winter and still putting out buds. .
Hyacinth Bouquet is still holding 2 buds but 2 were blown off in the strong wind we had over the last few days.

All the brugs are getting nice and green again after a bit of winter yellow.
I have told them all I expect great things this year.
My pods are growing. Those on Senorita Rosada are now about 4 1/2 "long.
The mystery ones on the aurea are so large one could make a decent meal with them...

I have all my new seeds ready to plant so lots of new babies expected..
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 21, 2012
11:39 PM

Post #9249672

I've asked Admin to put it in for me, Chrissy...hopefully by tomorrow morning it will be done.

Apart from "you know who" Jean...that Mango Cornet has been a good performer hasn't it.
Shaun, you are creating records all over the place, have you got them all on steroids? lol
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2012
12:32 AM

Post #9249676

Thanks Dianne ^_^

Gosh your parcel from BGI sounds exciting. I have to say Ivoire has thrilled me over these cold days, it is the most lovely almost edible light lemony creamy colour ...funnily enough the colour of the Desert Zabaglione after which it's daddy is named no doubt.
It's a beautiful little Brug !

Jean ...the Brug seeds await ...the pregnant pause ! ...I have so many everywhere you look, in their little tents, when the Puter Geek came in, he nearly had a fit seeing all the little seedlings.
He looked at me like you would look at a right nutter *giggle*. I think he thought I must collect baby seedlings instead of cats. After looking at Hoarders, I was wondering if you could be called a hoarder of seedlings (yes, I think I got carried away). these were just testing each lot of seeds I bought (not to mention my own yet).
Sheesh ...after this lot go out, it will be planting 5 or 10 a week so I can stagger them.

Great fun ahead ! (says she with fingers crossed for friendly weather). Better grow lots of Spinach, I am going to need it !
What about you ? ^_^
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
1:14 AM

Post #9249686

Chrissy sounds like a seedling nursery there so it will be looking like my place 2 x4 shelved hothouses, 1x 3 shelved hot house all full up with seeds that is 22 trays with 20 pots on each my hands sore my nails i have none i also have about 50 seed lots in doors also in Humidy Cribs this is where the seeds pop so quickly.
Dianne im not doing records i just let the seeds do what comes natural GERMINATE hahahahha

I have had a very disappointing winter as i have probably had 30-40 flowers in the last 4 months but i have noticed that 'Culebra' has buds all over it Aztec Gold is budding up also most of the others will be coming along with there own stories soon, Can't wait!!!!!!

hope all are preparing for the onslaught of Spring and getting as many seeds in as possible
I have been washing 3" 6" 8&12" pots over the winter in Bleach to kill of what dreaded nasties lurk in the pits of the pots.

I am now prepared at my sister-in-laws and ready to put around 200 seedlings in 8"pots over there in about 3-4 weeks were they can stay till they bloom in the next 12-18months.
I will also be getting professional potting mix designed for Brugmansia from BioGro
Thank you PAM

Over the Winter i have lost many seed pods as they were immature and the frost caught them GGGRRrrrrrr but i do have a few choice pods tantra XEcuador Pink, OA X.EP, OA x.FP, FP x.EP and DP'n'G x.Ivoire and a few more on Tantra, I hope that all of your pods are doing well also

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2012
1:32 AM

Post #9249690

Shaun that DP'n'G x Ivoire should be a little rippa !

So you aren't keeping a record ? what if you want to pursue some special traits ? if you don't know the cross ?
Just wondering ? I bet there will be lots of Noids around, lots of beauties too.

Special mix ? that will be interesting, how are the ones planted with fish going ?

Yes some stems froze off on the exposed pods here, once the stem is gone that's it. Funnily some of the immature seeds sprouted anyway. Still lots out there.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 22, 2012
1:53 AM

Post #9249692

I'll second that, DP&G x Ivoire...think of all the pink in there...whoo hoo...

Chrissy, I think that Shaun is referring to the comment that I made about his DP&G seeds OS...4 months to flower and his Maya seeds germinating so quickly...that sort of record...

My Culebra is just sitting, it probably needs a boost...
Dianne
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
2:03 AM

Post #9249697

Chrissy i have a database full of information on the what's where's when's & who's of brugmansia so i do keep recorded info such as sow, weather/temp, germ, repot, pot up, any special traits that may pop up which i have not had yet!

the record is of that of the quickest seed to germinate which is being refereed

The seedlings that had the fish in the pots are all doing well they did very well before the winter and grew 2-3 times quicker then those that did not get the fish,
I am now putting fish in the pots of all seedlings that come throw my hands when they get put in to 8"+ for there final pots which i expect to see some plants bloom in the Autumn with this method but like brugs they will do as they please when they please but it's that final push when we see the 'Y' we get all giddy and butterfly's in the stomach and the a bloom that is so unexpected WOW

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2012
2:18 AM

Post #9249699

Ok, I misunderstood, I thought it sounded weird :)

The quickest seed ...yes that makes sense ...unbelievable how quick that baby popped a bud !
Very exciting !
Can't wait to see the result !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2012
4:16 PM

Post #9250464

Many thanks to the Moderator ^_^

Yes 28C today, tonight back to very cool temps again (this usually means a storm when the cool wind comes into the warm air), oh well such is a gardeners lot ^_^

We have had a large palm tree come down up at the duplex, so that is the drama for now, luckily no tenants were parked where it fell and no damage to the building, the palm now has to be cut to pieces and removed, also the other 4 over the next few months. I loved them, but we can't have that danger present, it's a timely warning.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 22, 2012
6:33 PM

Post #9250586

What a sad day ...
the news coming through that Australia has lost one of the best

RIP Colin Campbell
We will miss you mate

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 22, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9250793

A good man gone...we'll miss his presence on Gardening Australia.

Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 23, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9251616

What a wild night ...last night was a real doozie ! we really copped it here and everywhere I think, hope every one and their garden is in one piece today.

Friday again ...here it comes, the weekend and SPRING (well after hopefully the last bout of frost next week).
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
4:27 AM

Post #9251938

Here is something to wet your appetite

Thumbnail by SolMan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9252010

Might need some of those lovely fakes if this lousy weather does not go away ...%^$&* wind/storms ...

Hey Shaun you should import some of those ...were they silk or plastic ?

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9252028

Chrissy they were latex very pretty

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2012
6:24 AM

Post #9252030

Thanks very interesting ^_^

chrissy
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9252450

Noy a loy going on here at the moment. Too wet & windy to do anything . The brugs have a few torn leaves after the wind but are looking good.

Hyacinth is determined to hang on to her last 2 buds.
Mango Cornet is putting on even more buds.
My pods are growing well.
Shaun, I should show that pic to the brugs so they know how to look when in flower .
More rain today and a few very cold days forecast.
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
2:46 PM

Post #9252455

im thinking about getting some gil thinks that thay may only be a few inches long but i saw a aurea type yellow also

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9252494

It has been so cold here this week, that most of the Brugmansias growing in the garden are skeletons...Pink Panther and Ivoire are the only ones above the fence line that have kept their leaves...
GHA has been cut right back so it's below the fence and quite snug...
Poor Joseph's Coat has 2 pods hanging from it's bare branches, it looks a sight...it will be happier next year in a pot in a sheltered position.

The sun is shining this morning, but it doesn't look too promising...
Hyacinth B is a good girl, Jean...she's determined to show how pretty she is.
Resist them Shaun...they are pretty little dust catchers...and Gil is right, they do look small...
Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9252511

How about this one...pinched from Brug Lovers Unite.
http://www.silksareforever.com/silk-flowers-artificial-flowers-fake-flowers/flower-spray/lily-stem/49-handwrapped-silk-angels-trumpet-lily-flower-spray-cream.html

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 24, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9252541

You know what ?
Dust catchers is correct.
Once I would have but, don't need anymore dust catchers these days ^_^

Dianne your pictures look much like my garden, mostly naked Brug Branches and twigs.
it's so cruel to make our poor babies think it's a warm Spring day, then have them bashed by icy winds and storms.Not to mention 30C then frost !

They are so amazing once that stops though !
Always reminding me of Jack's magic bean ...they rocket away skyward like something magical.
Can't wait.
I have put off the feeding until next weekend as we are expecting frost mid week (hope they are wrong).
Enjoy your day everyone !

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 24, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9252582

Chrissy's FFA giving me a nice end of Winter flush. Our Winters here in Brisbane are not as severe as you folks in the south get so no bare branches as can be seen in your pics Dianne.

My Clementine(in a pot) has started to bloom now. Two of the first 4 blooms are deformed but I gather that is par for the course with this one.

Predicted storm for yesterday did not eventuate(pity) so we are still in 'drought'... no rain at my place for 37 days.
Allan

Thumbnail by boolarong204

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9252665

I went out between showers to take a few pics of the brugs.

Some are looking a bit more yellow on top now, but most are still nice and leafy.
There are small buds forming but most fall off in the cold.
Still the darlings keep trying so I hope they keep it up and give me lots of flowers in spring /summer. ..

pic 1.. some of the brugs in the partly sheltered corner
pic 2..some of the brugs in the open shadehouse, mostly the sphaeros. Colleens winter hippie now open in the front.
pic 3 ..Frosty Pink ( left) and Elfin Pink ( right) out in the orchard.
pic 4..GHA and the Iochromas.
pic 5 ..Mango Cornet peeping over the smaller brugs under the old cypress tree.

Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9252668

More of the brugs down the back and some of the smaller ones in the shadehouse.
jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9252775

Allan, I know that you don't get bald Brugs, no rain where you are, it must be the only place except for Tassie that isn't drowning... but Jean are you sure that you are in Victoria? lol

They all look terrific...Mango Cornet is lovely...I hadn't realised just how nice the flower is...

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2012
7:55 PM

Post #9252786

Allan, last year I had a flush of these unusual Clementine flowers, perfume was the same, but how different was the flower!!!
Not unattractive just very different...very waxy too...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 24, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9252821

Dianne, one of the reasons I like Mango is that is looks you in the eye like the aureas.
No saggy baggy flower here.
Love the strong color even here in the winter too.

The sun is shining now, trying to entice me out, but I know better.
As soon as I get out and away from the house, it rains on me...lol

The only time Clementine flowered for me , she had lovely flowers at first ( pic 1 ) then this funny one , like yours. (pic 2 )
She is a bubbly one isnt she ?
Jean.

Thumbnail by 77sunset   Thumbnail by 77sunset         

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 24, 2012
10:04 PM

Post #9252863

I'm beginning to think that it might be better than Buck's Fizz, Jean...I'll wait 'till my 2 Mango Crush ones flower again, then someone will have to go...

This Angels Swingtime x Mango Crush is the better of the 2 siblings, the other has very short petal tips.
I say that, then when I look at the summer pics of BF, I couldn't let him go...

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger         

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
2:46 AM

Post #9252902

all of those plants are looking do good even when striped down the blooms stand tall and scream
LOOK @ ME

Allan even with deformed blooms it's still better then no flowers like me hahahaha
but many plants are budding up now with the warmer weather coming throw in the last week
we only had 2 days where it weather was so cold that even the Eskimo are getting heaters to say warm hahahaha

Jean i hope that your arm is better or on it's way my thoughts are with you

Shaun
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2012
3:16 AM

Post #9252909

Dianne... Really like your Angel's Swingtime X Mango Crush!! I assume that this seedling is still in the early stages of being trialled? Also your Summer photo of BF is quite stunning. I have no room to grow BF but might have to get someone to send me a little pollen next year to use in my hybridizing perhaps.

Have a few seeds starting to germinate now from the OS ones which I sowed a couple of weeks back!! Also sowed a few more today ( Rubirosa X Sam) which I received in the mail just last week from Eliz Fichtl.

Allan

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9253478

Yes, Allan ...I had 3 seedlings of A.Swingtime x MC...2 flowered for the first time in Autumn, one to go...
Just ask and if I'm sure that BF pollen will be available...I'll have some in the freezer anyway...
Good luck with your seedlings..

Did you know that now 3 of Shaun's Dwarf Pink n Green have "Y" at 4 mnths in the US?
I really think that growing them in the veggie garden must have had something to do with it...I don't know how, but it seems to be to much of a coincidence...they have beans on one side...maybe the nitrogen boost..
Others over there are growing them and not getting the early blooms...so?...

Dianne.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 9:00 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9253613

What an interesting subject re early Y -ing of Shaun's seedlings over the pond.
I am really looking forward to the resulting blooms, I sure hope they open before they freeze.

I thought I would post this link which has a great companion planting chart in it.

http://permaculture.org.au/2010/07/30/companion-planting-guide/

Of course we will plant some legumes near some of our Brugs now.

Isn't it amazing that we can now start to pick and choose amongst the colours and forms ? it's just the start !
Imagine a couple of years down the track, we will be spoilt for choice.

I like Clementine in it's frizzled mode, it looks like has little flames burning away within.

Allan are you sure you don't have room for BF ? is isn't as rampant as most of the others. I feel it is an important one for Genes.
I am happy to send you a cutting or two (I don't feel confident re pollen). However if you don't want it ...good luck with the pollen, I am sure someone will supply you with pollen.

Jean your plants are looking great as usual, I hope they reward you this Spring. Your poor shoulder , take care with that.

I hope everyone has a lovely Sunday, I hope it warms up a bit.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2012
4:18 PM

Post #9253627

I loved this !

Thumbnail by chrissy100

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2012
4:22 PM

Post #9253633

Dianne.. Yes, very impressive 4 months from seed to 'Y' and, if you have a vege garden with beans or other legumes by all means try it BUT I personally think that the extra nitrogen will produce good fast leaf growth and not flowering. I suspect it has something to do with what fertilizer they are using. About 6 months ago I started using a soluable fertilizer named "Krista K Plus" made by Yara on my brugs(as well as my hibiscus) It is mainly potassium but also some nitrogen. By Googling it you will see what it coinsists of. It comes in 25 kg bags only which would take many years for one person to use but I re-package it into 1 kg lots and share it with by hibiscus grower friends. By using it in small doses on a regular basis it certainly does produce early fkowering. I am keen to try it on my brug seedlings when they are big enough..
I also wonder if the person in the US is perhaps using some of those synthetic hormone bloom buster ingredients that some people use in their 'secret' indoor gardens?? Perhaps a visit to a hydroponic shop would be in order?

Chrissy, thanks for the offer but I really do not have room for BF as I have to leave enough room for some of my new brug seedlings. I will try the pollen. If all alse fails I still have some BF genes in BB and MC

Allan.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2012
4:43 PM

Post #9253649

Yes potassium is more likely the thing that would cause better flowering, early ? weather can play a part in that too.
Who hasn't thrown a watermelon seed down and found it blooming in a month in Autumn.
The difference is that Al has not experienced this with any seedlings before, and is searching for answers. The only thing he can think of is the beans.
I have never heard of Krista K Plus is it a QLD thing ?
I must google.

Yes the Genes of BF are present in BB and MC ^_^ and what a lovely mix they are too.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 25, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9253736

Allan, this is from Al who has the early flowering seedlings...

"Nitrogen-fixing bacteria form symbiotically connected nodules to the roots of the legume and supply the LEGUME with nitrogern from the soil that would otherwise not be (as) available.
(right?)

Does that mean that the N-Fixing Bact. are ADDING nitrogen to the Bruggie babies OR are they Preventing the bruggies from getting it??????? - Stealing it from the surrounding soil and giving it to the beans.

I've added zero outside fert. other than what is organically in the soil to begin with.

The brugs' leaves all look good & green (& greenish-blue in the case of cross #1) by this I mean that None of them looks Nitrogen-starved.

But I wonder if the nodules-beans-companion-situation means that the beans are Supplimenting the brugs OR Stressing them"...

So you can see what a mystery this is...others aren't getting the early Y so it's something that Al is doing...

Dianne...

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 4:49 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 25, 2012
8:07 PM

Post #9253820

I gave up worrying what fertilisers are going on brugs etc elsewhere years ago.
It only leads to frustration when your plants are not doing what others are.
Besides some ferts are very different or not available here.
I fertlise the whole main garden in Spring with an all purpose fert. and leave it to do its thing.
My epis and zygos get an extra does of potash in autumn.
The brugs are all fertilsed once a week with what ever I happen to have around.
It maybe the recipe ( molasses etc ) , Thrive, Miracle Gro , Tomato Fert. or something else.
I add Dynamic Lifter around now and a good handful of potash each spring.
They just have to grin & bear with my methods and all seem to do okay .

I have salvias planted at the base of the brugs in the ground .
Not for any reason, just to look pretty and act a ground cover.

I would think planting any lugume ( as said in previous post above) would be too much nitrogen
Not to mention the bugs that vegies tend to attract.

Jean.
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 25, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9253821

OK, I had not read the post from Al so I stand corrected re the adding of fertilizers. Still a mystery then!

I believe the Krista K fertilizer is available everywhere. Is is imported and not manufactured locally. I think it is widely used in Qld by banana growers. When I purchased the bag of Krista K I had to give name and address(verified) and sign a register so it must be able to be used in the manufacture of explosives..

Allan..

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 11:36 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 25, 2012
9:02 PM

Post #9253871

I treat Brugs like Big tomato bushes.

Best results I have had is with manure, compost, blood and bone, seaweed tonic,fish emulsion, dynamic lifter, all applied in early Spring/ early Autumn and topped up when needed (not too much), generally whatever I have handy at the time ...loath to use anything commercial just because I don't know what it is. After the plant Y's then I use some potash, not too much though.
I don't want the foliage too lush in case, it burns if it gets too hot (over 105C) or too cold 0 C.
Still learning so ...
Might try a couple of different things on the more expendable extra plants this coming season.
More companion planting too.
The chart states that beans are very good companion plants for very many things so, I will shove some in here and there, can't hurt.
Don't forget the radish for the prevention of the three striped beetle, it seems to do a pretty good job, I only saw about three of them this year compared to an invasion a couple of years ago.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9254625

Frozen toes here this morning ...nice day ahead though !
brrrrrrrr !

Not going out there just yet ...I used to but I don't want a chill, everyone about the place is ill late colds and flu everywhere.
Can't risk that with all the Spring chores ahead, so waiting until the chill goes. 20C ahead today,
what is the weather doing around your way ?

Happy Monday ...it's almost September, do you feel the excitement ?
Colder than usual but lots of Sun. Something sadly lacking last Spring !

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2012
7:33 PM

Post #9254833

Well here come some of the pods ripening off ...so excited to find this first double to double seed.

Heart of Gold x Twilight Time ! it scared me when I first saw it because I thought the frost had killed it, but found a nice healthy medium sized bean present ^_^

More excited about this one than my seeds from over the pond ...of course because it's my baby.
I will grow out ten, and share the rest if anyone is interested.

The other pods are all open pollinated ones (not tested yet) but there is
Earth Angel x Pink Smitty x ?
Axelrose x ?
Love Potion no 9 x ? (2 pods)
Buck's Fizz x ?

I know everyone is over run with seeds so I won't be offended if no one wants any ^_^
As the pods ripen (there are heaps) I will let you know so you can ask for any that take your fancy.
The others will be donated across the pond.

Go little Bruggies Go
chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
7:47 PM

Post #9254846

Wow chrissy all of them ripen at the same time
I only find that the same cross ripens with in a week of each other

The first one is a very interesting cross as it's all Australian now and cant wait to see what may come of it no dealt there could be some deformed blooms in this F1 gen of HoG X.TT but that's not to worry about at this time

Congrats on the ripening of the pods

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9254883

Ok checked ...Bucks Fizz was a fizzer, seeds present, but in liquid form in white corks, chalk that down to frost freezing the stem (it was exposed). I won't cry over that one because the trees are covered in BF pods ...whatever has done the deed was successful ...I expected empties, but seeds were present in all these early pods. Hopefully the frost won't do any others in.

Some were very wet (the seeds) while others were dry ...how odd.
Well pleased anyway and take it as a good omen for 2013 ^_^ and beyond.

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2012
9:05 PM

Post #9254908

Chrissy... Good to see you starting to harvest. Looks like the frost did not get them all. Can you please put aside about (5) of your HoG X TT as I would like to give them a try.

Just how tough are these brugs! About 6 weeks ago I was given some cuttings(4) from a friend. My friend said he had them sitting in a jar of water for 5 days. I got them with moist paper towel at the bottom of the sticks. I then further kept them standing in water for another 10 days when I realized 2 of the cuttings were not looking good and not sprouting tiny shoots like the other 2. It dawned on me that these 2 had been standing in water UPSIDE DOWN. I potted up all 4 not holding out much hope for the 2 which had been upside down until that time. Within a week the top part of these 2 cuttings which had been in water by mistake, quickly rotted leaving them now much shorter cuttings. Today, I noticed that both are now showing small shoots. They want to live!! Not sure how many other plants could suffer this treatment and still survive.

Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2012
9:31 PM

Post #9254921

Yes Allan I was going to send you some anyway ^_^

They certainly do want to live ...I used to be so frightened I would lose them when I first started but they are tough !
I don't have as much experience with the newer hybrids yet but the first ones are tough.

Will send them along as soon as they are dry.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2012
10:10 PM

Post #9254934

Just whizzing past to upload photos of Wayne's knightii x Ecuador Pink seedling, which he hasn't been able to upload himself. He says:
---
Today your Knightii x 'Ecuador Pink' seedling dropped a second skirt. Not quite open yet, there could be a third.
Originally very deep cream colour - I thought it might be yellow! This has faded.
No scent to my nose.
I will keep you posted! :)
---
No time to say much other than 1. great seedpods! 2. great upside-down cutting story, Allan! Just shows it could happen to anyone LOL

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 26, 2012
10:13 PM

Post #9254935

PS from Wayne:
---
This morning the second skirt opened to reveal a third one tucked up inside!
I will send a pic when the bloom is fully matured.
It will be interesting to see what happens in the next flush.
---

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 26, 2012
10:30 PM

Post #9254948

Congratulations cestrum ^_^
love the curly curls on the first skirt, it's too soon yet to see where it is going, might be totally different in nice weather, we all know how doubles can change in a couple of years. Can't wait to see what your Knightii crosses do here, what a shame the last three seasons have been so awful (here anyway) but we have gone from grey wet all the time to Sun and lots of wind, no rain to speak of now ...time will tell.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9254961

Wow Cestrum and Wayne have really shown what some crosses can get up to
like chrissy said love the calyx mix curls very unusual but were all here with baited breath on this one

Allan my mother-in-law dose that with some of the cuttings he didn't want but the plants were that rigours the cuttings took root up side down for her, she is the greenest fingers i have ever meet she also sprouted tomatoes from just a cut tomato the seeds germinated in the fruit on the kitchen bench
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
12:37 AM

Post #9254974

I'm pretty sure that I've lost track of which side was up and planted some cuttings of some plants upside down, but none of mine survived! (I do vaguely remember cuttings that neither struck nor died but survived, seemingly in stastis, in the mini-greenhouse for over a year--not brugmansias, hibiscus I think**. I know I wrote about them.) Some lovely pics posted here of the gold/yellow brugs.
And, er, yes: Give peas a chance!
PS Wayne says the deformed blooms on those knightii x EP seedlings have opened and are lovely! He'll post pics when he can download the images. I can't wait to see! (As well as Shaun's 4-months-from-seed-to-bloom brug.)

**These weren't planted upside down, it's just odd that they survived without striking for such a long time.

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 5:38 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 27, 2012
12:58 AM

Post #9254978

Looking forward to the Knightii x EP pics...they really have a long 2nd corolla don't they...I like the way they look, Get someone else to sniff them Wayne, I would be disappointed if a Knightii offspring wasn't perfumed, however lightly...
Thanks cestrum and Wayne..
Dianne
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

August 27, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9255681

Thank you Cestrum for posting those pics, I am not sure what is going on. :(
I am glad to report that the seedling Knightii x EP that you pollinated is a tripple. Very much looking forward to the next flush to see if deformed buds are thrown in spring.
I will try to attach pics with this note. Otherwise, if you do not mind, please re-post here once I send the pics to you via Dmail.
Thanks, W.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
2:43 PM

Post #9255961

Just a nother day with the weather getting to a sunny 19oC just like yesterday
im sure the Brugs are starting to move all at once.

Dianne & Jean my Cold groups are all looking well but there is one that dose not like sunlight at all even at 17oC the leaves collapse and stay that way till dusk where it gets a bit of strength back with the cooler weather.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9255966

I am so pleased this morning.
One of mt sanguineas has a Y.
Lucas, I am now watching carefully for the first sign of a bud.

One of my other coldies has decided to be different . Instead of a Y, it has put out a little branch just under the top of the plant.
The coldies are all looking well and hopefully will do well until next winter, when I may see more Ys and maybe a flower or two.

Jean.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9255973

Our Aussie summers are going to be a trial for those cold-group brugs, Shaun. (They can be a trial for the warm ones too ... just a trial, full stop!) What you'd like is an airconditioned version of a hothouse ... a coolhouse? Anyway, shade and protection from hot winds.
Wayne has forwarded me the pics of his knightii x EP seedling: one bloom has dropped and it is indeed a triple. Here are the pics. I wonder what Wayne intends pollinating it with? So this seedling has inherited the double gene. Now we just need to infuse it with some colour :-)

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ      

WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

August 27, 2012
3:39 PM

Post #9256030

Thank you Cestrum for posting the pics...
I see below this, therer is "now" a field to "Choose a file" for pics!
So here are a few of this seedling's bloom progress.

Cestrum, as soon as the second flush comes, I will chop this one up and send. Presently there is only the single "Y" wood.

I am hoping for the clear white to remain, together with the green stripe in the first skirt. Also that bud deformity is only due to the cold. Cestrum, the credit owing is yours as pollinator - I only grew a seed! :)

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 9:40 AM

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9256045

Did you turn JavaScript on, Wayne? Because I've noticed that you now can't upload any photos at all unless it's turned on. (Used to be you couldn't do multiple uploads without it being turned on but the site has clearly been changed recently ... the previews of the multiple files are great, helps avoid uploading the wrong ones.)
Please please please DO NOT CHOP IT BACK--can't you pollinate it so it sets some seedpods and gets the 2nd gen under way? I'd rather grow those out!
But your choice, of course.
And you're far too self-effacing: you are the first person to get this gen of my knightii crosses to flower. Take a bow, mister :-)

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 8:50 AM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2012
3:56 PM

Post #9256061

What do you have against white ? ^_^ :)
What colour are you aiming for ? is it perfumed ?

Good luck with those coldies everyone.
Shaun you may be in a bit of strife with that droopy drawers cold baby- I suspect a real Summer is ahead.
Never mind you have plenty more to delight you.

Jean good luck with yours too, looking forward to the coldie parade while we wait for the warm Angels to grace us with their presence.

What a great start to an almost Spring day !
It's still cold here but the Sun is out yet again, no wind whoopee ^_^

Have fun everyone.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9256068

I agree and once again Congratulations to you cestrum and to Wayne who has a magic touch with seedlings. ^_^
Too right, take a big bow ...both of you.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9256081

Ah, it's my white prejudice coming out again :-) My favourite brug colours are yellow/gold whether single or double; if double, I'd add apricot. Which of course is why I have so many whites, pinks and single apricots :-)
Wayne is yet to tell us if it has a fragrance. I know that others have said that EP has a perfume but I've never smelled it, so this one may not necessarily have a fragrance.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9256091

Hmmm ...yes Old Apricot would be a great one to try.
Oh the possibilities huh ? yes I would put it back to a good unmessed with single that shows a record of infusing the colours you like. What an adventure.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
4:12 PM

Post #9256102

The flower is purple tinged with white. Here it is again.

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
4:27 PM

Post #9256115

Oh, I've just realised I've posted that pic to the wrong forum. ("That's not a brug!") Can't be bothered reposting, so there it is.
[quote="chrissy100"]Hmmm ...yes Old Apricot would be a great one to try.
Oh the possibilities huh ? [/quote]
I was just thinking the same thing. Mind you, I don't dislike single apricots. It's just that it's so hard to beat OA--how do you top that? You'd need something very different, maybe really long tendrils or a cute little aurea-type flower?

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9256276

Old Apricot is a very special Brug and we are blessed to have it.

Sad to say here comes the cloud cover ...it always seems to arrive with Spring these last few years.
We are sitting at around 2C and 3C each early morning ...getting up to 20 C + most days.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 27, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9256438

I think that a very big CONGRATS is in order for that beauty cestrum and Wayne...those stripes are amazing...and the flower looks promising too, can't wait to see the next flowers...

That will be the first of many for your Sanguinea, Jean...mine has many flowers and all the ones growing locally are loaded...

Glad to know that everyone's imported Sphaeros are doing well, even if we haven't had a flower yet...they'll probably all start to flower at the same time...

OA is a dear old thing, mine looks terrible at the moment, but it won't be long before it's beautiful again...
Ivoire has started to flush again, small flowers still, but they are such pretty little things, not big and bold like the warm weather flushes, but small and dainty with their long petal tips..

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 27, 2012
8:28 PM

Post #9256454

Wayne and Cestrum I also like your double/triple white. Keen to see 2nd and 3rd flush of blooms. First blooms often do not show the full potential of what they can be. I, like Chrissy, would like to know if it has a nice perfume.

I have nothing against whites, in fact they often look more attractive in full bloom than a lot of the coloured ones.

Allan..
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 27, 2012
8:39 PM

Post #9256463

Every garden needs white flowers. They are so clean on dull days , accentuate the bright colors and merge beautifully with the pastels.
I could not have a garden without white.
The sun has gone and left for parts unknown again.
I did weed a bit and went around to check all the brugs for buds or Ys.
I am still watching Hyacinth. Her buds are growing longer.

I have another tall seedling with a Y. . Langenbuscher Garten x Charlston.

I hope for buds this season.

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 27, 2012
9:35 PM

Post #9256500

Ivoire is so cute here too ...tiny, sweet, cheeky blooms that you can smell during the day, not as strong as GHA or BB but lovely.

Yes white highlights and lifts colours ...I am pretty sure there will be lots of lovely double whites in the future.

Jean that cross sounds great ...can't wait.

Yes Allan I always say if it does not have a fragrance it had better be a real performer, I am a scent Fan (as you may have guessed)

Some of the " Brug sticks" (you know the ones that look dead after the frost- the late Autumn cuttings ) are starting to throw up leaves from below the medium. Whoo hoo most have survived.
All you who are new to brugs don't throw your "sticks" away, they will come back most times as the soil warms up.
I will take a pic tomorrow to show what I mean. (camera battery is flat). ^_^

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
2:04 AM

Post #9256536

It looks like that Wayne & Cestrum's Double/Triple is being subjected to color vilification and this is unfair as the plat has said nothing and only did what it is genetically told to do and that is to grow & show us what is possible with just the Australian CV's crosses

Im also prone to the whites and don't mind them in the garden but i can also see what cestrum is talking about as she has been growing out OA crosses that seem to produce white's and all looking the same.

I would love to be on the end of a cutting when wayne is passing it around to see how it preform in one of the cooler growing area's for Brug's my temp's are about 4 degrees lower then that of Melbourne CBD

Jean Langenbuscher Garten x Charlston sounds great and probably will produce some yellow or orange blooms this is a great start to new Crosses for the future

Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 28, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9256544

Here is some pictures
1 Buck Fizz
2 Red Hot Pink
3 Mango Cornet x Buck Fizz ( seed pod )
4 Buck Fizz x Mango Cornet ( seed pod )
Buck Fizz x Red Hot Pink ( seed pod )
5 This is Mango Cornet now ( not in the pot but ground )
Hope they hold, because from 10.00 it is hot, ( it may be to late and hot )
but the nights and early mornings are cool, very nice

I got some seeds from e-bay ( which are American cross ), they are from the same place Arghya Gardens and they put the card in of BGI ( Brugmansia Growers International ) We only have a short time for seeds, the rest of the time is to hot, ( some seed from Cestrum are up thank you ) so far all good, I am Addicted.

Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234   Thumbnail by Gena1234

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 28, 2012
4:31 AM

Post #9256569

Gena well done ! I was going to surprise you with some seeds, looks like you have plenty going on there.
Do you want some more ?
You know, so long as you have shade, you can get your seeds going through Summer. I did, when we were having a heatwave years ago. Water and shade, will see them survive. Then they will grow well during mid to late Autumn and through Winter where you are. Don't feed them too much when it is very hot.
Congratulations on your growing collection ^_^

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9256759

WOW Way to go Gena getting those Blooms and now seed pods i bet your smitten with the prospect of being a Brug Seed Mum,

Good Luck with the seed pod and i also hope that they mature well
Gena1234
Cairns
Australia

August 28, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9257387

I would just like to say thank you to all, I wouldn't have the collection I have, with out all your help.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 28, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9257390

You have come a long way in a very short time Gena, well done with all of them...
Your garden must look very pretty and smell wonderful...
Save some of your seeds for next year, they keep very well in the fridge in an airtight bag or container..
If you only plant a few of each, they are much easier to care for...
Good luck with them all...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 29, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9258757

Dry warmish, semi overcast morning here ...
Edited to say ...just look at Ivoire this is 4 days old (the bloom) and just look at it even after 2C. (pic 1)

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 11:00 AM

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100      

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 29, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9258769

oops hit the wrong button and off it went before I was finished. ^_^

Donated pods on Buck's Fizz, these ones still safe so far (some lost to frost previously) Pic 2
Sticks, sticks, sticks. But Starting to wake up ... 3 and 4
This Y died right down, but is coming up from below ...amazing what a little sun can do.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 29, 2012
6:54 PM

Post #9258824

Is everybody ready ? for Spring I mean ... these babies are some of my test babies that lived in the home under a normal light, on a dining room table.Now hardening off on the verandah behind glasshouse (don't know what you call it) screen. Over the next couple of weeks I will start to spray with very dilute Seasol then out under light shade to prepare them for life in the garden, so far so good. It was not planned this way, just tested for germination really. Very pleased with the results fertility wise. If they make it how good will that be.
The ones that went out earlier have had about 80 % success, some shriveled in the very cold Frosty days, but they might even come back, you never know. All in all it has kept me happy during Winter to play with the Brug babies but now the real tough stuff begins. Lots of smoke in the air reminds me what Summer can be like sometimes, lets hope it won't be too hot and dry.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 29, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9258902

Ready Chrissy?, I can't wait ...it seems to be dragging at the moment with more cold days among the sunny ones..
Glad that you have been successful with your seeds...My 3 that I grew in sand and the oven bag, have been successful too. ONLY, I forgot to sterilize the worm castings and a sluggie must have been growing in their pot and came out for dinner and ate the young leaves on 2 before I discovered it...I think that they will be ok though, they weren't chewed completely...

It's handy to be able to start them early so all of my seeds are now growing inside in sand, that seems to be an easy way for me to be certain of them...I don't have Jean's knack of growing the seeds in Winter..

Shock horror, when I did my morning check on the PP fasciation seeds, the largest one had a neat hole in it.
So I poked around hoping to kill whatever might be inside, then put some tape over the hole...
It should be ok as long as the worm or whatever dies in there...
After the FFA pod being open to the weather for months now, I don't worry about it being exposed.

Dianne.

Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger   Thumbnail by Seachanger      

77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 29, 2012
9:49 PM

Post #9258964

Yes Chrissy, I am ready for Spring. When it ever arrives. Today was warm sun one minute , freezing rain the next.
At least the rain kindly stayed away each time we ventured out of the shops. While having lunch , there was a great heavy downpour.
Dianne, I learned long ago that plants will do what they like, no matter what I do for them, so no pandering to the little brats here.
My brug seeds seem happy to oblige whatever the weather. I lose some due to insects or whatever, despite the weather being hot or cold.

They end up being pretty hardy so maybe it helps being hard on them.

The little ones that were in the greenhouse all winter are now about 8" high.

The greenhouse may be all covered in but it still gets very cold in there so they are not in any warmth at all.

Had to laugh today.. Mitre 10 had 3 brugs marked as double whites. One had flowers so I could see what it was. Had to be Knightii.
Selling at $14.
What made me laugh was that the brug pots were sitting in one of the large pots on sale. It was full of water, right over the brug pots.
I left them there as if they dont care, nor do I.
I have commented on various plants before but am told that they just go back to the plant nursery if they die or dont sell.

Better go and make a cuppa. I need something warm.

Keep safe and warm
Jean.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
5:55 AM

Post #9259068

I have just taken a pod of the aurea(form) X.aurea(Y/O) there were about 50 seed very well pumped up so now of to dry for the next week and then in to some soil & see what may come of this on ??????

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2012
4:20 PM

Post #9259714

Snap, Shaun...the first Ivoire open pollinated pod has ripened...nothing like the size of the Tantra pod but about 50/60 seeds...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9259808

Congratulations ! you two. ^_^

Sorry in advance if you aren't on FB but I couldn't find a way to link this article from an American Magazine so I had to share from Liz on my page :

http://www.facebook.com/chris.tonitto?ref=tn_tnmn

I hope you can see it .

Well it's been quite a while with no rain and lots of wind so everything is dryish here, come on Spring rain ...that will kick start things here.
It's the last day of the Month and you know what that means ^_^

Lots of work to do this weekend. Excited, but dreading the sore everythings afterwards.
Smelling the manure in my head already ...no mozzies or flies yet, hopefully we can get the hard work done before they come out to get us, not to mention the other biters and stingers.
Here it comes ...

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9259889

Thanks Chrissy,

Just discovered some seedlings popping thru after 14 days in their Tea Bag container home...
Dorthea x Caylie) x LBG and Brautwalzer x L.windsong...

Whoopee, it's all starting to happen..

Here's my Sanguinea again, nice little thing...
Shaun how is your yellow one going...any flower pics to post?

Thumbnail by Seachanger

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
9:00 PM

Post #9260017

Dianne I had cut it back in late autumn and it was a bit slow on the uptake of foliage but now the weather is better the leaves are coming throw very healthy and lush
I will have pic's when in bloom sorry

Those crosses sound wonderful I hope that they give you a suprise

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 30, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9260043

Did you mean Miss Caylie ?

They sound lovely ! nice to see the Coldie and looking forward to the Coldie parades in the southern gardens.
My latest to pop up in very quick time were Flame x Sommerzauber and Apricot Versicolor x Angel's Flight.
I am sure we all have many of the same, it will be so interesting to watch the different (or similar) results

Truly hanging out for the Creamsickle x LBG and the Creamsickle x Super Spot. (both are 4" seedlings- I only planted two of each so far and up they came). I intend to stagger plant from now on, so it will be manageable. Once they are over a foot they are pretty well on their way to surviving most things ( at least the ones I have grown so far).

Trying to breed it back close to the original Creamsickle if possible, then put it to our tough but beautiful Brugs.
Of course I want to cross it with TT and perhaps to FFA. Oh the possibilities (lol or the plain white singles by the dozens).
As we have said before, like winning the floral lotteries.Much more fun (and hard work) though. ^_^

What cross/crosses are you all most looking forward to the most ? ...we all like different things.

chrissy

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 3:02 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 30, 2012
11:38 PM

Post #9260069

It probably is Miss Caylie, Chrissy...

I'm still after the pink Aurea, so the Rothkirch crosses are the ones I'm looking forward to the most..
They were planted in the Autumn and are really sturdy little things, but there is quite a while for them to go..

Morgensonne x The Chief) x Bergkonigin should flower this year, I'm really looking forward to that one.

Anyone else growing Sam x NOL, they are strong growers too...I'm not expecting anything brilliant from this cross as there must have been
hundreds of seeds grown out but none registered or even known...so it may be a case of 2 beauties don't make another beauty...

Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 31, 2012
1:36 AM

Post #9260084

That sounds like it will be really stuffed with skirts ... Morgensonne x The Chief) x Bergkonigin should maybe have as many petticoats as Deborah Kerr wore in The King and I. ^_^ Can't find that clip so this will do ...all those skirts :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mv5QUUlbPwU&feature=fvwrel

I have a few Sam crosses ...love Sam as a parent too (the colour), secondon the list to the dream Creamsickle. I am growing some New Orleans Lady crosses because the perfume is devine and hopefully the NOL kids will inherit that, I don't care if they are white, in fact so long as they smell like NOL I would love it. D PnG smells almost as good as FFA almost identical, just a little less strong, but it may have been the weather. When you say there are hundreds not registered, many people are too shy to even try. The other thing is, it may take years to get results in the USA from more recent crosses.
We are very lucky because we can get quicker results here. (Weather allowing).
It is going to be an exciting year ahead ...so much to see and do.

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2012
2:01 AM

Post #9260090

I don't know if that really applies Chrissy, because Sam has been around since 2005 and there isn't much out there with Sam as a parent...
Liz has only had a couple from it and she has been singing it's praises for a long time...and she is in Florida where most of the hybridizers are...
Quick results there...
So I feel that it would have been used as a parent many times and if it had produced more than a couple of good ones they would have been "Known"

It's a lovely flower but maybe it just doesn't pass this on...
Still we can always hope.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
2:13 AM

Post #9260093

Well im with you on 1 of those Creamsickle, Bergkonigin, Jacayna Angels Sunbeam & Luise
Sam if im not wrong will throw Doubles in the Majority of cases when involved in a cross which i read somewhere in BGI so that is a trait that we all should have

There are just to many to concern they are all so I WANT but will have to do with the currant batch that i have

Some of the aurea's would be great also Rothkirck, Ocre, and a few australlian aurea's that i have got and still looking for ????

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 31, 2012
3:09 AM

Post #9260106

How would we know how many Sam kids are out there? How many gardeners who are not Brug obsessives keep track of the parents ? ...how many top breeders keep their "recipes" to themselves ? How many have been knocked over or thrown out thinking they were dead and sprouted just to become no names ? (it's happened to me *shock* *horror*. lol.

Here in Australia we are just starting to find out some others here have been growing great crosses we didn't know about, ie Grandma up there in QLD etc, so can you imagine how many lovely plants are out there in the USA ? and probably here too.
What I have found with Sam crosses that I have grown out is, that they all have a lovely colour and nice tendrils, some are semi double. Just my own personal experiences of Sam crosses so far of cause. However they, like Earth Angel, don't love the cold much.
If you choose Sam as the pollen Parent in the Hybridizers data you will see some nice babies ...Sam makes a good daddy. Sam itself was not so lovely. If Sam is put to a Brug that withstands extreme temps then it can overcome it's problems.

I guess we will find out in the next couple of years what works best for what conditions here in Aussie gardens.

Expect to see a Brug explosion in Australia in the next few years. No longer a closely hugged little secret, it is out there thanks to Huanduj

chrissy
boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 31, 2012
3:41 AM

Post #9260117

My most exciting seeds from OS this year would have to be... Rubirosa X Sam. I have very high hopes for this cross. Both of the cultivars in this cross have Rothkirck somewhere in their family tree so some very good genes there!! Seeds sowed 4/5 days ago and waiting anxiously for signs of germination.
We are still in drought in Brisbane. Although some parts of Bris got light showers last night, we did not get a drop.
Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 31, 2012
3:46 AM

Post #9260121

Hold on to your hats ...I hope you can see this ...click onto the owner of this video and look at her Brug uploads ^_^

Sam first :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3PlE3I4KDfM
Yes Allan I think that will be a real beauty.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 31, 2012
4:19 AM

Post #9260132

Can you see these ? Here is your Spring inspiration :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBNIjSjBSp4&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcdMN03uXpY&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBQA-8iv4jE&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MddjhHxLdZ8&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LffOuIFi0qA&feature=plcp
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dr6fEOXK0uQ&feature=plcp

Just a taste ...Creamsickle looks a lot like my Heart of Gold in winter mode.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9260299

Rubirosa has been very successful as a parent, both as a pollen or pod parent, Allan...beautiful singles and doubles..Monika Gottschalk seems to pair it with everything and has success.
She has crossed it with my favourite Charleston many times and the doubles are very pretty.

Those exaggerated petal tips are really lovely in the singles...I'd be quite happy with one of those...
Good luck with your seeds.
Dianne.
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 31, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9260771

I will be waiting to see results of any seeds I get from my two favorites after I crossed them.
Senorita Rosada x GHA.
Also Mango Cornet x Senorita Rosada.
The huge pod on aurea (Lucas) will be a surprise. Its too big to be an aurea pod so I will wait in anticipation of some fantastic bloom.

I love the large flowers to look at but for me , I want aureas and other smaller flowered dainty brugs.. I love the doubles, but want them small too.
Going to be an exciting Spring/Summer for us all.
Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 31, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9260863

Happy 1st of September everyone.

What a shame you don't seem to be able to see the videos I posted, I thought it was so good to see the individual blooms handled in order to see real live sizes and characteristics. The Size differences are amazing.

Well I tried ^_^

Off to seize the day ...it's Spring ^_^ have fun everyone !

chrissy

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

August 31, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9260886

Chrissy... Thanks for the youTube links. I don't lmow about the others but I was able to see them all OK.

"Spring has sprung, the grass is riz.. I wonder where the brugmansia is"

Allan

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

August 31, 2012
8:09 PM

Post #9261094

Lunchtime, glad you got to see them Allan ...wasn't Double Dark Rosetta interesting ...a small very architectural Pink.
I can see little new leaves on some of the little seedlings I thought were goners ...Knightii crosses, Jean's Jacayna crosses (2 out of three coming back so far) lots of dead looking cuttings starting to toss up the tiny new green leaves, it won't be long before we can just about hear things growing ...after the Spring rain it will be up up and away !
Does anyone have any winged beans I can swap something for ? I read that they are delicious to eat and contribute lots of nitrogen to the soil ...a bit hard to get hold of.
Doing the bean experiment this Spring, it's a win win thing after all. Edited to say ...we get to eat the beans even if it does not make any difference to the Brugs.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 1:11 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

August 31, 2012
9:24 PM

Post #9261129

Chrissy, I may try beans too.
I havent room around the brugs in the ground for bush beans,as I keep all the potted brugs around them.
I will add a bean seed or two to the larger pots and let them go
I just hope they domt add too much nitrogen so the brugs leaf instead of flowering.

I have dwarf bean seeds but may add some climbers too.
The climbers should do better around the ground planted brugs as they all have decent trunks to hold the beans up.

Found these on eBay for you ,Chrissy.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ASIAN-WINGED-BEAN-HERITAGE-15-Seeds-/150887992513?pt=AU_Plants_Seeds_Bulbs&hash=item2321a00cc1
Jean

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 9:16 AM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

August 31, 2012
11:56 PM

Post #9261162

I saw them Chrissy and made the mistake at looking at her others too...she has a great collection...
Miss B Havin looked gorgeous...did you see the Marshmallow gun?...that was funny...
I grew climbing beans in amongst my Brugs last year, but the snails got more than I did...it was too shady for mine...I have the 7 yr climbers if anyone wants some...
Dianne.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 1, 2012
12:59 AM

Post #9261170

Many thanks Jean ...done !
I hope they won't be too old like some seeds we buy ^_^
I will grow them (hopefully) around the edges like Al did. Not sure I would like them messing up the Brugs like my climbing Spinach did. Every new veggie is an adventure after all and these are very high protein. (not to mention the nice flowers are very fragrant. )
Has anyone purchased seeds from there before ? just wondering.

Dianne weren't they great ? I was trying to guess who the owner was ...lovely collection indeed. So interesting to see the differences and real blooms instead of perfectly posed still lifes, not that I don't love those either but the real living thing is a sight to behold. Wish I could have sniffed them as well.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 1, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9262014

It's raining pods ...well almost,

Same old suspects involved- spot checked seeds present
Another Earth Angel x Pink Smitty x ?
2 more Love Potion no 9 x ?

They were very close to each other but then so were lots of others.
I don't think anyone will want these so I am just drying them off and putting them with others collected for the seedbank and a couple of people over the pond.

I expect quite a few pods to ripen over the next little while, chewing the fingernails over the special double pods of course.
I think the Sun is pushing them along now (though two more frost victims on Aztec Gold x ?).

It's been a lovely day, hope everyone enjoyed Father's Day.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 2, 2012
1:37 AM

Post #9262041

Came across this recipe for tomato plants (homemade tomato plant food), going to give it a try ^_^ on a few of the Brug kids as well as the tomatoes.
Check it out ...

it will feed about 6 tomato plants (so I reckon about 3 x 1 ft Brugs)
3 cups compost/mulch/dirt
1/2 cup Epsom salt
1 tablespoon baking soda
1/2 cup powdered milk .

1. Mix all the ingredients together in a bucket
2. place a handful of the mixture into the hole you are digging for your tomato plant.
If you have already planted you can sprinkle a handful of the mixture around the stem of the plant, then water.
Sounds like it will make happy soil.

They predict Frost for the next few days :( ...so it will be soon after that passes.

chrissy

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
2:34 AM

Post #9262052

Happy Father'd day all

I have been out in the garden most of the day other then hair services from home and going to the New Marster's (wollworths) to see what bargains i could get compost, Cow, chicken, Tomato & potting mix buy 4 get 1 free well at least thats what i was told. I also got a number of Salvia's which i have not had befor and i also got a Cavandish Banana for $4 so i thought i would try it out as i have never grown one before

I have also just has a plant flower that i have never had bloom for me before as i think that the winters in the last 10-12 years was not cold enough for it to trigger the bloom cycle Fritillaria graeca ssp thessala
also my seed pod of aurea(form) x.'Culebra'

I am just now preparing the pots for the Bean Challenge to see if it make any difference i will be using the same soil, fertilizers and in very Similar positions in the yard so that neither are favoured.
Chrissy that recipe has Epson salts in it we were talking about that in a thread on BGI just the other day and many people are saying not to use salts on Brugs but i find that im not really getting any problems with the more mature plants only on the seedlings so i may try your recipe on the tomatoes this year also always like new challenges

Edited ::::: i know it's a thread on Brug Sorry

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 9:26 PM

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan      

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 2, 2012
6:10 AM

Post #9262133

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/803019/

Shaun, I have read the posts on BGI that you are referring to, but you might not have read the above thread, I saved it when I first started looking at DG for Brugmansia info..experienced growers in the US have been using Epsom Salts in varying quantities for years, you will see the discussions on quantities and ingredients throughout the thread...

If you look up "The Recipe' on BGI, you will find something similar...
I don't put all of those ingredients in, but I do use the molasses, beer, epsom salts, seasol in our case, tea tree oil if I have any at the time...even my Magnolias like it...
Jean uses something similar too...

Chrissie, do you know what value the baking soda is in your recipe, I've only seen it used for black spot and powdery mildew...does it go thru the roots to the leaves, because it doesn't do caterpillars any good..lol

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 2, 2012
6:19 AM

Post #9262145

OT, Shaun, what do you think of the Master's store...they aren't out our way yet...they seem to be locating them as near to Bunnings as possible...
It's a very pretty fritti...lol and that is one very interesting pod...
Dianne.
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
6:31 AM

Post #9262169

I found that Master's was a lot neater and cleaner designed better then Bunnings i also commented about how the place smelt very fresh and new but it could be because it's only a few months old i didn't relay do a full tour but i will next time to see where every thing is and the prices are about the same with some things but not others like Lily-of-the-Valley Bunnings $8.99 Masters $9.99
Potting mix i usually use Hortico $5.98 Bunnings, but in Masters there cheapest is $3 but Quality potting mix starts at $7 which i did not like

the Masters that i went to was in Knoxfield and was directly across the road from Bunnings .
I was told that there will be one around the corner from where i live in the new year and it will be on the same block as the currant Bunnings store there so there will be a lot of compition between them in the short term till people find there footings and there faverout stores.
I asked if the Woolworth card works in Masters, I was told no the next thing to come out my mouth was well i should just continue going to Bunnings the sales lady said sorry hahahhaha

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 2, 2012
7:16 AM

Post #9262222

Sorry running late, I know that both baking soda (and milk) is used to stop fungal issues and it raises the PH mildly. The Epsom salts is mildly acidic. The milk would also get the friendly little good guys going in the soil ...activate good things. I can't see anything that would not work and this was from a top tomato grower in the USA. I like it because it sounds Earth friendly. It just makes sense. I stress that this is a boost for planting the young ones, it would not meet the demands of the more mature plants.
I would also water it in with Seasol (half strength). He also says you can toss a fish head or two into the hole under it, but a few inches further down (in the ground- I think the worms work it all into magical stuff) and I agree with that. You could also toss in the odd ham bone , cow horn or similar. Shaun you might want to chuck in a dead buffalo or croc ;).
That pretty little thing of yours has never grown for me in many previous gardens, guess they weren't cold enough, it's very sweet.

Well I have my first T Tx Heart of Gold seedling up (be still my heart :) ...I had to try one, I couldn't resist ...low and behold a 4 cot ! Next- planting the reverse cross I just harvested. Great excitement.
One of our American friends once commented that there must be something in the water because I seem to get a high percentage of multi cots ...I hear that Twilight Zone theme playing in my soundtrack of a mind ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NzlG28B-R8Y

I truly think they tend to Tri Y, might just be a co incidence but ...

It's getting very cold ...we lost reception on our Foxtel for almost an hour ...big weather change here after such a lovely day.
Not pleased as we were watching a good Movie. Must be some really wild weather going on.

Oops look at the time ... If I have made any typos ...sorry tired.

G'night ^_^ Brug nuts sweet Bruggie dreams of what is to come.

chrissy

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 2, 2012
2:52 PM

Post #9262596

Lots of things are going to be done today. The sun is shining so I will be out early. The potted brugs are all to be repotted with fresh mix .
Some have roots in the ground now so ..chop chop..

Hyacinth 's buds are getting longer,
Clementine still has a few buds hanging on and I see lots of new growth on all the brugs.

It will be moving day for some too. The rest of the coldies are all coming out of the shadehouse to line up along the path under the trees for summer.
The small warmies are going into the ground in the iris area with the vegies. I am going to alternate them in the rows between the beans etc. .

Hubby has been recruited for the heavy lifting of the pots etc and I will be supervisor...lol

Jean.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 2, 2012
6:39 PM

Post #9262830

brrrrr how cold was it this morning ...the Sun is out now though.

Jean don't overdo it ...remember we have to make this body of ours last until our soul no longer needs it, meanwhile we need to try to not to wreck it. It all sounds exciting though.

Another tip ...keep your eggshells to bury in the garden too.

Well for anyone interested here is my first T T x Heart of Gold 4 cot seedling. It sprouted inside sitting near the TV, I just planted straight into the plastic cup with the plastic bag over it, in a double cup for insulation.
Hope it will be a triple Y, these ones usually throw up two stems instead of 1 ...I cut one of to allow a main stem because you get a weakness in one stem as it grows. I will show what the twin trunks look like before I chop the twin off.
Here it is, my little Siamese twin seedling.

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
7:09 PM

Post #9262848

Chrissy very nice indeed i have a few plants that have the 3stems in the Y and i dont know if they are from a Tricot or not
I am now marking my tri-cots with a tag so that i can keep a record of them i have about 12 of them at the moment so will see in the not to distant future...

If your around Lucas those seeds of 'Wide Mouth' X. are doing well just getting them throw winter was a trick in them selves. I hope all is well with you and your family have not seen you around for a moth or so. Drop in and say hay

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 2, 2012
8:00 PM

Post #9262900

I don't get tri cots very often, but the "quattro cot' Chrissy, lol...is a cute little thing, it will be interesting to follow...plus the fact that it's parents are pretty good too.

Remember last Autumn, when I commented on the Aurea in the Geelong gardens having almost perfect foliage, well 6 months later it's still perfect...the candida growing next to it looks almost as ratty as some of mine...but this baby is beautiful...It doesn't get as much sun, but apart from that...I don't have an answer...but in a couple of months I will be making a withdrawal, to see what happens growing it in my garden...Yes Shaun, I will get a piece for you and Jean if you want...the flower wasn't out of the ordinary, but that foliage is...

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 3, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9262980

Lovely leaves on the second plant Dianne ...it will be interesting to see if it retains that in your garden, some plants are just stronger (use that to breed with of course). Sometimes they just aren't happy where they are. stressed plants get more easily attacked, it could be something you can't see like tree roots grabbing all the goodies in the soil. Can't count the times moving a Brug changed the whole attitude and growth of the plant, even more than the things we feed it with.
Luckily we all have plenty of plants to play with and to learn.

I will be posting some seeds off this week to those who requested them.Please let me know by Thursday if anyone else would like a selection of seeds.

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
1:13 AM

Post #9262989

Dianne i do remember you in the Geelong gardens a while a go and we thought you should have picked up the branch from the plant back then but it dose look amazing fresh & Healthy
I would appreciate a piece of it if you have a bit to spare when you have got your pieces in place your so generous,

My aurea(form) that looks quite amazing just in where its been places the original one in the small garbage bin is a bit naked since the july 7 freeze here in Croydon it was the Coldest Winter in over 20years here as a dear friend told me her garden was also wiped out with the frosts
I think that Croydon may be the coldest area that brug Collections are grown by all of us guys so it looks like i may have to send a few plants to my sisters to keep for prosperity or so i can retrieve them when & if this problem happens again

I have been out in the garden all day doing what i have to to get it ready for the onslaught of spring and all of those seedlings i have made more room if that's possible and i have divided plants & bulbs potted up and re potted.

dose any one want Stenomesson miniatum i have many bulbs and am willing to send out????? please Dmail me if so

Thumbnail by SolMan   Thumbnail by SolMan         

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 3, 2012
6:29 PM

Post #9263899

Gosh it is so hot out there ...how wonderful that we might have a normal Spring.
That bulb sounds beautiful Shaun ...what a shame it is a cool climate kid.
Your plants look great !
Most of mine are still sticks with the new leaves just starting up ...except for some more sheltered ones.
I never thought I would say this again but we need some rain ! the Brugs will bloom quite quickly after the Spring rain.
Is a drought on the horizon ? this feels like the normal weather is coming back.
How does it feel in your gardens today ?
I have the blossoms on my Plum trees and the Pomegranates are leafing out-lots of sticks in many places though.
Have a lovely day everyone.

⋱ ⋮ ⋰
⋯ ◯ ⋯
⋰ ⋮ ⋱
✿.*`*..✿
╬♥═╬╬═♥=╬╬═♥╬

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 3, 2012
10:27 PM

Post #9264141

Yes Chrissy, it's a really lovely day here too...

Shaun, thanks for the offer of those pretty bulbs, but I couldn't collect anything else in my garden...and Chrissy the only reason I can't ask you for some of your seeds is the same...I think it will be a lot easier to share our own seeds amongst us in a couple of years time, when all the seeds that we have splurged on from OS have been planted and grown on...and we can concentrate on crossing our own...

I have promised myself not to buy any next year...I hope that I can keep my promise...lol
Dianne.
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 3, 2012
10:42 PM

Post #9264143

Full up here, too!
Here's my first (I think) albino seedling. What a shame it wasn't variegated instead of being white! I suppose it's only a matter of weeks before the poor thing starves to death ...

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 3, 2012
11:06 PM

Post #9264159

Poor little thing cestrum, I've never had one of those...what cross are you growing there?
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 3, 2012
11:16 PM

Post #9264167

Side view: white from leaf tip to stem. Dunno when it germinated; it's much shorter than its siblings but that could be because it can't synthesise chlorophyll and so just isn't getting the energy the others are.
It's Flame x Sommerzauber.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2012 4:18 PM

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 3, 2012
11:26 PM

Post #9264173

I'm pretty sure that's my first albino brug seedling, but that's nothing compared to this: scroll down to near the bottom of the page and you'll see a whole TRAY of albino seedlings!
http://ibrugs.com/Community/iBrugsCommunityPods/PodsView/tabid/222/asg/30/aft/931/showtab/groupforums/Default.aspx

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
12:45 AM

Post #9264200

Awe poor little seedling ...yes it will die of starvation sadly cestrum, is it hot up there too ?

Shaun's seeds had a high percentage of albino babies when I grew them out and they all died.

It has been a beautiful day here and everywhere there is so much work to be done.
First mozzie, first wasp sighted, no blowies yet. Has anyone spotted a green grub or 28 spotted lady bird yet ?
The slugs and snails have finally gone (along with the rain I guess).

Each and every little seed and seedling, plant and tree are all yelling for attention Mamma Mia !

chrissy

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 4, 2012
12:54 AM

Post #9264201

Interesting link cestrum...how frustrating to have to ditch the lot...
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9264209

thank you Cestrum for the Pic, i also had a load of Albino seedlings from White Ruff X.Unknown so i think that the pollen parent was probably the same for almost all of them about 12 pods and all but say 10-15 seedling survived from them what a shame i would have like to have seen what could have come of them

It was a very nice day as i was told i was at work and in doors all day and my clients were telling me how beautiful the day was GGGGRRRRRRRRRR

Just got home and placed all my chilli's back in the hot house with the Cavandish variety Banana, I'v got seeds pop-pen all over the place right now so in the next 3-4 weeks ill be bizy potting them in to 3" pots and letting them sit there for a short while to get a good root ball and then pot them on

I hope all of you girls have done great work in the Garden 2day????

Chrissy did you know that Allan was now also on FB??? he friended me today, we just waiting on Cestrum now hahahahah i know she ant interested in it but im sure that if she just joined for BLU, BF she would have not been justified for not joining but i can understand her angel
Shaun

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
2:43 AM

Post #9264220

Hi Shaun ...yes I have been "friends" with Allan on FB for a while now.

What on earth is BLU, BF ????
I think you can be stretched too thin on the internet as specially if you are very busy.
In the past most of us have joined various groups and sites only to have them fold after much work.
I joined FB for my grand children.When my nephew was trapped in Sendai during the Japanese Earthquake we managed to track him down through FB (we didn't know if he was dead or alive) so I am a FB fan for those kinds of reasons, seeing all the new babies I might never see otherwise being born into my large extended family.Watching their travels around the World etc. I totally understand anyone not wanting to be in FB, I feel that way about twitter. ^_^

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9264235

Chrissy
BLU= Brugmansia Lovers Unite
BF = Brugmansiafreunde
sorry about the abbreviation

i started on Facebook to also keep in touch with family and to try find my nephew also in South Australia i found his sister and we have a good relation ship now after not seeing or speaking to them for almost 15 years, it also bought me closer to school friends that i had not seen or even spoken to since i was about 10yo so that's live a life time ago

I also under stand that many people do not want to be on it for more the privacy issues i agree.
Now TWITTER = twits on line i just think its a waist of time but i do have an account but have only been on it may be 2-3 times in 2 years as i proffer the newer sites to chat and Facebook to keep in contact and to show my plants and excitement of them

It's such a mild night after the beautiful evening we have here in Melbourne

Every one have a great night

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
3:44 AM

Post #9264240

Beautiful night here, but 100 k winds expected tomorrow with Fire warning ...oh boy here it comes, batten down the hatches !
Thanks for the explanation. ^_^ Shaun enjoy the evening everyone !

chrissy

boolarong204
Brisbane
Australia

September 4, 2012
4:53 AM

Post #9264267

Dianne.. Like you I think I will try not to be any more OS seeds next year, however a few weeks back I decided not to buy any more THIS year but I weakened and purchased one last cross from Liz in USA (Rubirose X Berkonigin).

Some of my first seeds sown a few weeks back starting to germinate now.

Good to see some of you harvesting plenty of seedpods. So far only Mango Cornet has given me ripe seedpods. Still waiting patiently for FFA and Fernando pods to ripen. Should not be too long now with the warmer days on the way. 29 c predicted for Brisbane on Thursday but still no rain in sight. 47 days since rain fell at my place!

Shaun.. I only joined FB about 3 months ago. I resisted for a long time however when the International Hibiscus Society created a FB page, the traffic on the Yahoo group slowed to a trickle, I decided to join. I have not regretted it at all although I do not contribute a lot so far.

Allan
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 4, 2012
3:31 PM

Post #9264886

I know all about 'weakening', Allan :-) You do know that we're all enablers here, don't you ;-)
I'll leave social networking to others; just not for me.
Dianne, Fred Sommer didn't seem too upset about losing all those albino seedlings. But if you check out his blog you'll see why: he has a truly superb collection of brugs, many bred by himself. (http://fredsommer.com/SommerGardens )

Beautiful weather here: still cold at night (less than 5 deg C, and almost frosty two nights ago--unheard of after 1 Sept) but days are dry, warm and sunny with a breeze or light wind and low humidity--reminds me of a Melbourne spring: just lovely! (Forecast for 5 days starting today: 27, 30, 32, 26, 27). Ok, temps are warmer than most of spring in Melb but it has that Melburnian feel because of the breeze and lack of humidity. (Killed three mozzies while sitting outside yesterday, but they *were* slow-flying so still winter-sluggish. And only three of them, which is almost nothing.) We did get some rain from a cloudburst last week but otherwise it has been dry, as Allan says. Read somewhere recently that our spring here lasts about a month at most, which I'd agree with, but it's lovely while it does.
I expect a real storm season this year after the two-year virtually storm-free hiatus we've had.

Here are:
1. Butterbomb, a solitary flower because of too much shade but such pretty tendrils and a glorious fragrance. Thank you for giving me this one, Chrissy: it's a treasure :-)
2. Joli x Bergkonigin just starting to reflower, still quite pale and with the inner skirt tucked up. Soft but very pleasing fragrance.
3. Pink Sweetie, pale and just starting to reflush. Hopefully this one will start flowering in other people's gardens this season.
4. This one is for you, Shaun: the seedhead on my orange spider plant (Chlorophytum amaniense aka C. orchidantheroides). Did you buy those seeds you mentioned and if so did they germinate? Because I could shake these out into a paper bag and send them on, if you want them.
5. Blooms from two dwarf abutilons, the pink (flower is past its prime in this photo) and what I call 'reddish' which is not a true red. (I can't seem to remember to photograph the true red and reddish blooms when they happen to flower together.) Got some abutilon seeds from these and my other ones too, if any regulars (to this forum) are interested.

OK, I'm done now!

Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ   Thumbnail by cestrum_SEQ

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 4, 2012
5:57 PM

Post #9265059

cestrum, Fred has some beautiful brugmansias... when he opened his site, I bought some of his seeds, which I needed like a hole in the head...and that's why I am waaaaay overloaded with seed...
In case you haven't seen it. here it is...http://www.sommergardens.com/ ...as usual it won't highlight...

Allan you had better not look, your resolve sounds a bit like mine... :-)

With the winds going to be very violent, I have tied up the twin pods...hanging as they are from the one peduncle, I always have to protect them as they are very heavy and swing around wildly...hopefully they will ripen soon...
The soft tie allows movement of the branch but stops it breaking off...

Nice pics cestrum, the Abutilons are very pretty...

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 12:03 PM

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 4, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9265069

After looking at Fred's seeds, go straight to your Brugmansia photos from last season, it helps resist the buying compulsion by looking at the beauties that you have grown yourself...lol

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9265082

ha ha ha what a hopeless lot we are, helplessly addicted ...hundreds of seeds and still looking ^_^

Lovely Pics cestrum ...I bought my seeds from Brenda Delph to start ...wish she was still selling them.

Good luck with your plants Dianne we are expecting terrible winds too, at the moment it's beautiful out there, though gazing out over the paddocks there is so much dead grass that it is looking a bit scary (firewise).

I hope everyone has a great/safe day
feels like Summer already even the morning temps are still down

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9265084

oops I forgot ...Dianne,
when you want to highlight a link, remember to go to a new line because if you highlight it in a sentence it becomes part of the link address which is why it does not work. ^_^ I hope that makes sense.

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 4, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9265093

[quote="Seachanger"]
In case you haven't seen it. here it is...http://www.sommergardens.com
[/quote]

OMG

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
7:24 PM

Post #9265144

Has anyone seen results from those crosses grown by the purchasers ?

chrissy
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
7:29 PM

Post #9265148

Cestrum I did buy those seed and have just planted them last week so in a few more weeks I will see some movement fingers crosses
Love the blooms also

Fred sommers and ibrug I bought from this year also so I could have a few interesting crosses hopefully
Just like all I am pathetic and have no will when it comes to brug seed no more for the next year
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 4, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9265164

[quote="chrissy100"]Has anyone seen results from those crosses grown by the purchasers ?
[/quote]

Too soon, perhaps? I do wonder what the double x double crosses will look like, though: as pretty as the parents? Prettier? Or maybe ugly and deformed? Probably a good mix of them all!

We're pretty much all *pathetic* in that regard, Shaun LOL Still, we're in for a thrilling time once all those exotics start blooming :-)

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9265165

ha ha ha Shaun ...I hope you get wonderful results.
I made my seed purchases by looking at results from the sellers seeds, rather than just the parents.
It will be very interesting to see how results compare from one seller (hybridizer) to another.
Good luck to everyone with their exciting new seeds !

chrissy
cestrum_SEQ
West of Brisbane
Australia

September 4, 2012
7:44 PM

Post #9265167

Forgot to say, Dianne: your pods look like they need a bra--maybe a sports bra, given the winds you expect!

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9265177

Too soon here perhaps cestrum, but I have been following Brugs for quite a long time now, watching results (overseas results) ,some, most Hybridizers have been around for many years and so you get to see some of the results over that time in the different threads and data bases ...including the old long gone sites.

Looking forward to everyone's results here though. I just know that the Australian Brugs will shine in the coming years.
Go little Bruggies Go ! ^_^

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9265183

@cestrum Too true ...a good support bra ^_^

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
7:56 PM

Post #9265187

Looking at the data base you get a mix of results from double to double and single to double.

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
8:11 PM

Post #9265212

sorry hubby walked in before I could finish saying that the more natural doubles crosses to a quality single should give great results as should double to double that has not been too fiddled with. IMO the doubles with lots of mixed Genes crossed to another complex double may give you a high % of deformed blooms. You may get a star too, but if not, don't throw the funny one away, sometimes those funny ones make a good parent by breeding with almost pure Genes.

Ok that is my waffle for the day ^_^ ...sigh yes obsessive Brug Nut here, hopeless case.

chrissy

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 1:13 PM
77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 4, 2012
8:18 PM

Post #9265250

Nothing much going on here in my brug world. Gale winds last night but no damage to the brugs.
I planted some of the kindergarden kids and a few of the teenagers out in the iris area.
I even popped a couple of coldies out there too.
Be interesting to see how they all do. It is reasonably sheltered from the hot sun & wind in summer but open to the south wind.

I have the two buds still on Hyacinth so hope they will open soon.
Mango Cornet is getting to be like GHA in putting out more and more buds.
I will move it later to sit next to GHA. I think they may like each other.
I know I will be overwhelmed by the 2 perfumes.

I have seeds from Fred and seeds from BGI and seeds and seeds and seeds...
I had a good look at them all and only kept 4 each of all the OS ones to plant.
All the rest I just put out int he iris garden in one of the empty rows. I will watch and see what they do.
Probably do better than all the ones I am keeping ...lol

I look at the parents of the seeds I want and go that way.
I hope as you all do, that the particular seeds I get have that one fantastic bloom that will be exactly what I want...

My pods are growing and I hope for seeds soon.
Most will go to the seed bank so more of our Aussie genes can be spread around. ..

Raining here and cold after 2 lovely days. I am staying inside with my books.

Hope all your pods and seedlings are going well
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 4, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9265302

[quote="cestrum_SEQ"]Forgot to say, Dianne: your pods look like they need a bra--maybe a sports bra, given the winds you expect![/quote]

I've got an old one, cestrum...not such a bad idea, it will certainly control the bounce...lol

http://sommergardens.com/ thank you Chrissy, I will remember that for the future..
Brenda Delph certainly was a well respected hybridizer wasn't she, she grew my favourite Lemon Meringue as well as countless others...

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 3:14 PM

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 4, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9265356

I found a cute little Blog here ...
http://www.trumpetflowers.com/tutorials/how-to-pollinate-your-angels-trumpets.htm
http://www.trumpetflowers.com/gallery/brugmansia-gallery.htm

We once had to search for info, now it is getting much easier, the first link is for any lurkers who want to know how to pollinate your Brugs. A great tutorial.

Brenda was wonderful, she sent me a letter wishing me good luck and a few kind words of encouragement, it meant a lot to me because I was very nervous about trying to make new and exciting Brug Babies.
She would discuss the qualities of the each parent ie heat tolerant, fragrance etc, sometimes even a few words about the parents of the parents. Loved that site and still miss it. There was talk that she was coming back but I haven't seen any recent talk about it, so maybe not.

chrissy

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 5, 2012
7:12 PM

Post #9266428

Well here is, a prized pod that actually had my hands shaking ...(been a while since my hands shook while opening pods).
Here is Twilight Time x Heart of Gold, my hands shook so much I could hardly peel the corks to check for seeds.
Yes !!!! ^_^ ...so thrilled !

Apart from that ...the heat in the wind is a worry, not only for fire threats but I know from past experience the munchers usually blow in with the wind,grasshoppers and 28 spotted ladybirds in particular. Here is hoping the cold weather killed a lot of bug eggs.
Hot wind can kill off tiny seedlings, this is where they are vulnerable. I hope everyone has had a productive morning ^_^
Enjoy the rest of the day.

Here they are ...so loving them !
Happy Brugging !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 5, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9266546

Congrats Chrissy. I hope you get something lovely from them.

In pic 4..I like the look of that seed in the middle on the left , the one down the bottom on the right and that pretty one in the middle...lol
I definitely know they will be doubles. I feel it...
Jean.

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 5, 2012
11:17 PM

Post #9266617

Lovely, big fat fertile seed, the aim of every hybridiser...well done Chrissy and the very best of luck with them...
of course, congratulations to the proud parents as well...lol
SolMan
Croydon
Australia
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
12:06 AM

Post #9266622

Yes Chrissy congrats on the crosses and the plump little seeds
I see that brad got in contact with you I mentioned that we are all nutters and are very generous with our time information and brugs in general, he is now a friend of BRUG LOV UNIT so he will be learning as we all have in the past
I hope all have a great day nice today and the weather is good also

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 6, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9267450

A warm wind blowing on a Sunshiney day here ...I was going to post seeds today but am going to post Mon/Tues now due to the pods all deciding to ripen one after another almost daily now.
Today it is another Axelrose x open pollinated (interesting to watch what ripens at the same time- could it be a clue as to the pollen parents ? hmmm I wonder). Pic 1
The others are Earth Angel x Pink Smitty x open pollinated, I understand why they number the pods now, just in case the pollen donor is different to the other pods.From now on I will be numbering the donor pods just in case.
Now here is the shock ...I spot checked expecting empties and no, the ones I checked have the seeds present, so whatever did the pollinating did the job well (very surprised).

Have a great day everyone ...gulp it's Friday yet again-where does that time go? Busy weekend ahead for everyone !

chrissy

Thumbnail by chrissy100   Thumbnail by chrissy100         

77sunset
Merino
Australia

September 6, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9267489

Looking good Chrissy.
I will be watching all my pods as they ripen.
It is funny how the ones I did mostly fell off while the others done by the mysterious phantom pollinator , all stayed on .

I have never seen a bee anywhere on any of the brug flowers but who knows what is out & about in the dark of the night ???

I have 3 pods on BB ( not me )
2 pods on Senorita Rosada, ( definitely me )
1 pod on Mango Cornet ( me again )
1 pod on GHA ( could have been me and the tag may have fallen off )
1 huge pod on aurea (Lucas) could have been me when pollinating GHA as the only flowers around then were on GHA.
Not sure if they would pollinate each other , but one never knows.
1 other not so huge pod on the same plant.

Hopefully this season I will have so many flowers to play with , I will be inundated with pods later.
I will be asking for a bit of pollen from the brugs I dont have here .
( my wish list for pollen includes ...Fernando, Tantra, and any small flowered brugs )

Jean.

Jean.
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 6, 2012
9:58 PM

Post #9267652

Good luck with your seeds everyone!

Here is 'Twilight Time' today. First bloom this season - "decided" to be a double. No doubt she will pick up with the warmer weather.
Also a noid from last season on TT. I am looking forward to this one ripening to harvest.

Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter   Thumbnail by WayneCarter      

Seachanger

Seachanger
Clifton Springs
Australia

September 6, 2012
10:39 PM

Post #9267666

All these lovely seeds, it makes your mouth water...
Jean, I might put some Tantra pollen in the fridge, just in case, there's none available when you need it...
Maybe you have moth pollinators, I know that mine are bees, they walk around bandy legged with the pollen covering their legs...

It's a terrible day here, much worse than 2 days ago, branches across the highway everywhere...good thing that I left the twins tied up...
They are considering cancelling the Geelong races...

I have had 2 tiny slugs in with my tiny seedlings and I had to wait until 10pm last night to find them...they must come in as slug eggs? Little devils ate some tiny leaves...Boy, those coldie seeds love Aug/Sep, they grow so evenly and all at the same time...wish the warmies were as organised...
Dianne

chrissy100

chrissy100
Sydney
Australia

September 7, 2012
12:01 AM

Post #9267680

Oh Wayne it's lovely to see her again, double or triple, double means great access to pollen but this darned wind huh ? she suffered here in the icy wind, but I know she will bounce back soon. That pod looks just like mine. Don't get itchy fingers though and pick it before it is ripe, the wait is agonizing I know. ^_^.The triple and even 4th skirts come in the warmth. Fingers and toies crossed for your beautiful pod. Could you please start our Spring thread with that Picture of TT please ...

Awful wind here ...

Hope your buds open for you Jean ...we are looking forward to the blooms.
I hope your pods come good for you too ...I surely remember the first seeds arriving from overseas years ago, I look at them like they were diamonds, treated them great reverence because it was like some magic had been gifted to me. It was.

Funny now to think we have that same excitement over seeds of our own.
I knew those first seeds held magic ♫ .♥.* ☀`*♫.*.☀.♥
For me at least ^_^

chrissy
WayneCarter
NW Sydney NSW
Australia

September 7, 2012
1:56 PM

Post #9268246

New thread commenced at:
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1279268/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Australian and New Zealand Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the new Australian Gardening forum Terry 28 Oct 21, 2009 10:20 AM
Where are you in AU . holty 219 Aug 22, 2014 8:21 PM
soap tree aka 'Sapindus Mukorossis' is it available in aus'? gardenlen 15 Jul 18, 2013 2:22 AM
bromeliad-blanchetiana ? boofhead 7 Dec 30, 2011 7:42 PM
What you don`t want to see in your garden. ginger749 93 Sep 5, 2007 9:05 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America