Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Flowers: Roses

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 8, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 22, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9250004

Would someone be so kind as to explain the difference between a tea rose and a standard bush? Is it the shape or the actual flower? Also, I have 3 roses, one a white bloom and bud, one a "drift" landscape rose, and one I have had for 2 years. The older one bloomed early, then had one stray rose a couple of weeks ago. Now it has funny brown spots around some of the leaves. The other 2 withered immediately and neither has any blooms. I treated them with Neem Oil, but am wondering if it is a soil problem? Missouri soil- quite clay-like, thought I amended it with tree and shrub soil when I planted. Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 22, 2012
11:17 AM

Post #9250098

Hi Kristy. Part of the problem could be from the Neem oil. It is generally recommended that oil sprays NOT be used in Temperatures above 80-85 degrees, and NOT in full sun without some kind of shade cover for the plant. Below is a link for info on rose care that you may find helpful.

http://www.clemson.edu/extension/hgic/pests/plant_pests/flowers/hgic2106.html
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
5:47 AM

Post #9250968

I would have otherwise said something different, I guess a tea rose is always a hybrid:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hybrid_tea_rose

Marcia

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
7:21 AM

Post #9251062

Oops...guess I kinda ignored the other questions...sorry. The wilting and leaf burn grabbed my attention.Thanks for catching that Marcia.
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9251255

Moonhowl, I couldn't have answered the other questions (haha). I always think of tea roses as being small roses, but I don't know why.
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
10:55 AM

Post #9251267

Thank you! Gosh, I never even thought about the heat being an issue

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9251358

LOL...I just saw a similar question not long ago...reminded me to put location and oil sprays together...

Kristy, I think the roses may recover...just make sure they get regular water when needed. You can cut back any seriously damaged growth. It would not hurt to give them all a very light feeding of 1/4 strength water soluble fertilizer around the roots.

Heat is hard on young plants and the oil tends to over heat the leaves and reduce their ability to breathe.

If you Google "oil sprays and hot weather use in the garden" you will find lots of info and suggestions.

Moon
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
2:06 PM

Post #9257333

Thank you all!!! I have taken some updated pictures...they are no better, but no worse. I am going to prune the damage off and am hoping it will come back next year. Now, because I think I have a serious plant addiction (haha) I bought another rose...a "Hot Tamale", it is considered a miniature rose. After I brought it home, though, I started to worry about whether I should plant it, I don't want this one affected with whatever the others have. Should I have the soil tested or try amending the soil and planting in a new location? Or, should I keep it in a container in the basement over winter?

Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   Thumbnail by ChicagoKristy   
Click an image for an enlarged view.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
2:26 PM

Post #9257360

I still think the damage you see is leaf burn and not a disease or pest. The miniature roses are, for me, even hardier than the hybrids. It never hurts to get a soil sample and amending the soil with good compost will certainly not cause harm to your new rose. You still have plenty of time for your rose to acclimate itself for winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America