Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

help with incubator-type chick

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

Long story short, I have a chick that last I saw as an egg under a hen, but then suddenly was being carried around by other hens like a prize "treat". I heard it screaming, and managed to retrieve the little thing, but now I don't know what to do. It's being treated as I would any new chick with a warm safe place, but this one almost looks as if it's premature. Is it possible that those horrible hens "hatched" it early, by stripping off the shell? It hadn't even uncurled, and was still wet. I've never had deal with any chick that new, so I don't know what's normal. It now appears to be dry, but eyes are closed, and it seems unable to walk. It's been about 3 hours, so not long, but I don't know the milestones. All I ever had to do before was dip beaks and scatter feed.
It does have a strong peep :)

HELP!

This message was edited Aug 22, 2012 8:03 PM

Richmond, TX

I have had no experience with premature chicks. What a sad story! I hope someone can help.

Bridgewater, ME

Your doing what you can by keeping it warm Thats all you can do..Keep us posted

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

She/he is still alive. Moves around by "swimming", but doesn't seem to be able to stand.Right now tucked into the folds of a washcloth. No frantic, unhappy peeping, just an occasional chirp. I'll do more research.
Thanks for the support:)

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

The baby didn't wake up this morning. Probably for the best, but still sad.

Bridgewater, ME

So sorry,those things happen but still sad

(Zone 6b)

Even after all you've been through, you are still soft hearted Cat.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

I think it has something to do with the "SUCKER" stamped on my forehead :)

Richmond, TX

Sucker is just what people call you if they can't spell sympathetic, kind-hearted or humane.

Pelzer, SC(Zone 7b)

:)

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.