I'm a still a little confused. A long time ago, I had a huge indoor pot of arrowhead philodendron, and a cream colored tabby cat that would eat it like it was going out of style. Supposedly this plant is poisonous to cats. Yet, Loverboy never had any signs or symptoms of being poisoned! I mean, he ate a lot of it. When I was home, he never bothered it. But, if I was out shopping or working, etc., not home, he ate it like kitty greens! (He was the only cat). The leaves had kitty sized bite marks for evidence; but he never got sick from it. Either he was a miracle cat, (NOT!), or this plant isn't as poisonous to cats as they want us to believe. So, is philodendron poisonous to cats or not? I honestly can't figure it out.
I've always loved this plant cuz it grows and I ain't really got a green thumb! I also, have a different cat now, and she totally leaves ALL my houseplants alone-including the arrowhead philodendron that I have now. So, bc these two very different situations with two totally different cats, I still can't figure out if that plant is poisonous to them or not. Would someone kindly help me here? Thanks bunches. I love my cat, but I love my houseplants, too. =)
The rhaphida (calcium oxalate) present in aroids seem to be innoxious to kitties. They eat the leaves, choosing the newest and freshest ones. The solution is simple - bring them grass every day or plant a papyrus (Cyperus alternifolius) at home, especially for cats :)