Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Article: Cats versus House Plants: An indoor plant, Philodendron and cats

Communities > Forums > Article: Cats versus House Plants
bookmark
Forum: Article: Cats versus House PlantsReplies: 1, Views: 7
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ej_the_dj
Warner Robins, GA

August 22, 2012
9:40 PM

Post #9250791

I'm a still a little confused. A long time ago, I had a huge indoor pot of arrowhead philodendron, and a cream colored tabby cat that would eat it like it was going out of style. Supposedly this plant is poisonous to cats. Yet, Loverboy never had any signs or symptoms of being poisoned! I mean, he ate a lot of it. When I was home, he never bothered it. But, if I was out shopping or working, etc., not home, he ate it like kitty greens! (He was the only cat). The leaves had kitty sized bite marks for evidence; but he never got sick from it. Either he was a miracle cat, (NOT!), or this plant isn't as poisonous to cats as they want us to believe. So, is philodendron poisonous to cats or not? I honestly can't figure it out.

I've always loved this plant cuz it grows and I ain't really got a green thumb! I also, have a different cat now, and she totally leaves ALL my houseplants alone-including the arrowhead philodendron that I have now. So, bc these two very different situations with two totally different cats, I still can't figure out if that plant is poisonous to them or not. Would someone kindly help me here? Thanks bunches. I love my cat, but I love my houseplants, too. =)
Abrimaal
Wschowa
Poland

January 13, 2014
1:18 PM

Post #9747034

The rhaphida (calcium oxalate) present in aroids seem to be innoxious to kitties. They eat the leaves, choosing the newest and freshest ones. The solution is simple - bring them grass every day or plant a papyrus (Cyperus alternifolius) at home, especially for cats :)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Cats versus House Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
fun article Dutchlady1 6 Feb 5, 2008 5:11 PM
Great Job Lee Anne! plantladylin 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:35 PM
Your friend Slant..aka Rugcat rugcat 1 Jan 27, 2008 1:59 AM
cats and house plants hihosilver63 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:33 PM
Cats and plants baileyweb 1 Apr 23, 2010 10:28 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America