Photo by Melody

Bromeliads: Can anyone give me a firm ID?

Communities > Forums > Bromeliads
bookmark
Forum: BromeliadsReplies: 9, Views: 92
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 23, 2012
3:57 AM

Post #9250864

I had an Aechmea Chantinii Black (Ebony) which is shown in the first photo.

I found another bromeliad (NOID) on the back of a shelf at a box store that is similar yet different and would like to know what I have. 2nd photo.

I notice it is similar in growth so am assuming it is also an Aechmea. The color was much darker but that is probably due to lighting, moisture conditions.

The bands are so much wider and distinct that it does not resemble the Chantinii black in my opinion.

Would anyone know the correct cultivar?

Thumbnail by podster   Thumbnail by podster
Click an image for an enlarged view.

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 23, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9251345

Sure looks like Vriesea splendens or splendite. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1183/ Your comment about it being from a big box store about conches it. Very common in these stores. Remember it is an ' upper pupper' as opposed to sending offshoots from the old basal leaf bases.
Scott

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 2:14 PM
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2012
8:12 PM

Post #9252806

I think you are correct on the ID. A Vriesea rather than an Aechmea, I can't even make a good guess.

If I understand correctly V. splendens doesn't have a branching bloom like V. splendite. This plant has already bloomed but it was a single bloom so it should be V. splendens.

A couple of questions if I may? This one has wide striped bands. The photos of others don't show the same width.
I read somewhere that the bands are formed by the water in the cup. Is that true or not?

Because I am a novice, can you tell me what an ' upper pupper' is?

Thanks... Kristi

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9254705

I too am interested in your explanation of "upper pup".

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 28, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9256731

An upper pupper is a brom that throws pups near the cup of the plant instead of at the base.
Let me post a quote from Mulford Foster to explain :

Q. Is Vriesea splendens propagated only by seed because it does not produce suckers? Can you tell me if there are any others like this and if so could you publish a list of them?

A. V. splendens can also be propagated by offshoots, but the manner of removing the offshoot is a bit more delicate and difficult than with most bromeliad species.

After the inflorescence of a plant has reached it maturity, the new shoot will appear near the axis next to the inflorescence instead of at, or near, the base of the plant as is usual with most bromeliads. When this new shoot has reached a height of five to six inches, it may be removed with a sharp knife. The operation is a delicate one as it is necessary to cut through the live tissue of the old plant which will separate nearly half of the plant. This cut must not injure the tissues of the new offshoots and the old basal leaves should be removed before cut is made.
If this operation is carefully done and the cut tissues treated with Captan, it is possible that the old plant may produce one to five successive offshoots from the uninjured side. These later plants may be, generally, more easily removed than the first one. It takes some courage as well as a surgeon's skill to attempt this operation, especially if you have only one plant in your possession.

Guzmania sanguinea will produce its new offshoot in the same location as V. splendens.

Many, if not most bromeliad plants, may be deliberately injured in the axis, so be careful to antiseptically treat it with Captan, so that rot or decay will not set in; offshoots, one or several, may then soon appear at the base of the plant—the main plant, of course, will not continue its growth. This procedure, of injuring the center, may be carried out even with seedlings, two or more inches in height.
Offshoots of V. fenestralis, generally, appear halfway between the axis and the basal leaves. These are more easily removed.

http://journal.bsi.org/V11/2/

Scott
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 28, 2012
1:18 PM

Post #9257234

I separated mine correctly, but didn't know about using Capatan. Thanks once again for the information. Just wish I could find someone to trade with.
podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 28, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9257651

That you very much for that good information. Thanks also for the link to the Bromeliad Society Journal. I realize I have a lot to learn.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9258345

I traded for a "Finger of God" bromeliad which has never been true to pictures here on Dave's.
Oldude, have you had any problems with this brom.

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/173834/

olddude

olddude
Big Pine Key, FL
(Zone 11)

August 29, 2012
12:59 PM

Post #9258407

I haven't had any problems at all but then again I've only had the plant for 6 months.
Scott
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

August 29, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9258500

Is your plant solid green right now?

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Bromeliads Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
bromeliads ..how to propogate????? pixiedust 11 Jan 10, 2009 5:14 AM
Aechmea Blue Tango giancarlo 16 Feb 4, 2008 7:24 AM
My cryptanthus collection Chris_Lorry 30 Mar 2, 2009 12:43 PM
Growing a pineapple from the store. mikekilhoffer 20 Feb 18, 2009 7:49 PM
Looking to trade for colorful Bromeliads and similar plants. bwilliams 10 Jan 14, 2008 9:03 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America