Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 23, 2012
11:47 AM

Post #9251318

i planted my canna lilies in full sun, it has grown nice and tall but no flowers as yet. will it flower before the fall?

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 23, 2012
1:50 PM

Post #9251436

They usually bloom around this time of year in zone 5. When did you plant them, and do you fertilize them?
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 25, 2012
1:27 PM

Post #9253417

i planted them after the frost in zone 6 and i fertilize them twice for the season

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9253468

Hmmm...I do know that heavy spring rains can slow down the blooms on Cannas, Also, fertilizing too much can retard blooming. It is recommended that they be fed in the spring when new growth starts.Perhaps they will surprise you and manage a few blooms before your first frost. Sorry I can't be of more help.

http://www.ehow.com/info_8080952_would-canna-lily-not-bloom.html

http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/g-32-canna-planting-guide.aspx
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 28, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9257355

Don't bury your Canna tubers / bulbs too deep as this prevents flowering, they like lot's of sun but not parched soil either. I only offer a feed in spring when the tender green tips are just growing up through the top soil, and in Autumn, leave the greenery to die off before you cut it away, add a mulch if your in a frost area over winter.
At this time you can either lift the tuber corm / bulb whatever you want to call it, and either store indoors in pot with fresh compost kept almost dry so they dont rot, begin to plant back outdoors when little green shoots show.
Hope you get flowers soon as they are beautiful plants and always the last to flower here at end of summer when lot's of other stuff has gone over.
Weenel.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
6:50 AM

Post #9259110

Some types of cannas have to reach a certain ht before blooms, some of them are more finicky to bloom, and others bloom all summer- we hack at em, abuse em and they just grow and spread. The full sun is a must, the cool days may slow em a bit, let em get rootbound by the way, and good luck!
cytf
Staten Island, NY

August 30, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9259387

Thank you themoomhowl, WeeNel and Kittriana for all your tips.I will follow them next spring and hope I have better results, will let you know if i get flowers before fall

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

August 30, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9259396

Thank You! I am curious to find out!

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9259434

Good luck, cytf...please do let us know how they fare.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 5, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9296579

HI KITTRIANA,I THINK YOU ARE CORRECT. SOME CANNAS BLOOM LATE , I THINK MINE IS SENDING UP A BLOOM AND THE PLANT HAS GROWN VERY TALL. I WILL SEND A PICTURE AS SOON AS I CAN TAKE A NICE SHOT OF IT . WEENEL YOU KNOW THE FACTS TOO THAT CANNAS ARE THE LAST TO FLOWER. THANKS AGAIN TO MY GARDENING BUDDIES YOU GIVE ME HOPE WITH MY PLANTS
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 5, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9296581

THANK YOU TO THEMOONHOWL TOO, I APPRECIATE ALL THE TIPS YOU GAVE ME

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 5, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9296586

Bravo CYTF...so happy you will get to see the blooms this year.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

October 6, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9297911

O.M.G. what are we gardeners like, waiting for plants to bloom is like awaiting visitors that are late and we worry about them, or waiting for a passenger to arrive at airport, only my plants appear to give me more worries than anything, Jeeeeeez dont tell my family ha, ha, ha.
Good luck, make sure you take a picture so you know what to look for next year and maybe identify what kind of Canna you have,
Be aware that any winter frost will turn the foliage black or maybe even rot if frost get's them and then a sunny day allows the foliage to defrost, after flowering, allow the foliage to die down a bit before removing it as the foliage slowly dying down helps feed the tuber for next year,
Some Autumn's I have to lift my tubers and allow the foliage to die down in-doors and then I have to cut the foliage away, store them like tender bulbs until planting back out in situ again the following years, IF this is the first year for your Canna tubers, don't be tempted to cut them into several plants, wait a few years and then cut the tubers to get more plants, as someone already said, some tubers like to be pot bound before they really show their worth.
Glad your getting flowers and good luck for next year too.
WeeNel.
cytf
Staten Island, NY

October 15, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9306454

STILL WAITING FOR THE FLOWER TO OPEN UP, IT WAS 75 DEGREES TODAY AND MY CANNA LEAVES ARE STILL GREEN AND BEAUTIFUL.WE ARE EXPERIENCING ONE OF THE HOTTEST YEARS EVER.WE GARDENERS ARE LIKE A KID IN A TOY STORE WITH OUR PLANTS AND FLOWERS .I GOT THE TUBER FROM MY GARDEN CLUB LUNCHEON . WE ALWAYS HAVE A TABLE WITH VARIOUS ITEMS FOR SALE AND SOMEONE HAD THESE PRICED FOR $2.00, SO I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT COLOR IT IS.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

October 16, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9306893

Cytf, I am way down here in zone 9a and my canna just started blooming a couple days ago...fingers crossed for yours to bloom also.

Thumbnail by themoonhowl
Click the image for an enlarged view.

SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9311049

I am in zone 8b and just when I think my 3 Canna (Canna Lily Corsica) is done blooming, another shoot pops up. I also have two, Canna Lily The President, that hasn't bloomed yet.The dogs got a little excited one and began chasing one another right through my garden and broke one of the Canna The President's 1st stalk off. It hasn't done anything since. I hope it returns next year. The other President has 2 stalks and several leaves, but won't grow higher than about 20 inches, or flower. Some of the leaves have what looks like "burnt" edges that look crispy, but they are soft to the touch. I know they aren't sun burned, so I don't know what is going on with them. It is my first year growing them.

I hope you get blooms soon, cytf!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
7:19 AM

Post #9311148

Burnt leaf edges- hmmm, the water getting deep enough to the roots? And don't over fertilize these, they are not needing much in the way of fertilizers.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9311174

Some pictures would help, but burnt edges that look crispy but feel soft could be rotting/fungus.
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
2:05 PM

Post #9315270

Here are some pics of the crispy looking leaves, which are really soft to the touch, and not at all crispy.

The 1st pic is of the whole canna plant. The 2nd pic is a close up of a leaf edge. (Don't mind the white spots...it is just residue from a Safer brand spray I used the day before. The leaf issues were present weeks before I ever used any spray on it.) The 3rd pic is a close up of a leaf that I tried trimming the brown, crispy looking edges off.

Also, not all of the leaves have this problem. Just a few of them.

Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze   Thumbnail by SavvyDaze      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
7:41 PM

Post #9315569

Needs more air space away from fence, less of a potting soil type dirt, but I am no fungus expert- when nex you can
SavvyDaze
Lady's Island, SC
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9315731

kittriana, I didn't use potting soil when planting this canna. The soil was actually VERY compacted dirt which contained a lot of sand, so I added some Black Kow compost & a little soil conditioner to it before planting. Also, the soil around the canna appears darker because I just watered it. The soil to the left wasn't watered and is much lighter & drier.

As for air circulation, do you suggest I move it to a new location? If so, should I do it now or wait until after the first frost, leaves have died, and I can transplant just the bulb/rhizome? Over the next 10 days, we're going to have some overnight lows in the mid 40's & afternoon temps in the mid 60's to low 70's.

Thanks!

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

October 26, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9316079

Move the bulbs when the plant dies down- they need the air because they can store so much water- once we plant cannas in Texas hwy medians- the only water they get is rain and they do fine, yours may be a hybrid and need more pampering tho than the rugged ones we chunk out in the pastures and fence lines that just never quit growing...
cytf
Staten Island, NY

November 13, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9332338

I must let my gardening buddies know that the northeaster that hid New York finished off my canna lilies, so I have to wait for next year to see the blooms.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

November 13, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9332419

I sincerely hope the cannas were the only loss you sustained Cytf...good to see you back online.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

November 14, 2012
5:29 AM

Post #9332769

Awww, glad you are fine!
Sensiblelynne

(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9333861

Yes, we also hope everyone is OK and safe. As for cannas I will probably be unpopular for admitting this, but that is one plant I really do not like. They use it a lot here commercially and I just can't find a soft spot for it in my gardening heart. Too big and brassy for me I guess.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America