Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds: Separating Seed from Chaff?

Communities > Forums > Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds
bookmark
Forum: Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seedsReplies: 1, Views: 4
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
haighr
Laurel, DE
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9251326

What is your best method for separating? Sometimes I can put the collected seeds in a plastic container and shake a bit and the static electricity causes lots of the chaff to stick to the sides while the seed is heavier and stays on the bottom of the dish.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 23, 2012
2:42 PM

Post #9251477

Sometimes I get lucky with a sieve of the right size (I have a battered one that's perfect for basil), but mostly I use the "swirl & blow" method (on a rimmed plate or shallow bowl). If you crumble the seedheads and let them dry a while, the seeds of most plants will be heavier than the chaff.

Some seeds I just save chaff & all -- zinnias, for example, I just don't have the patience to pick out the seeds, which don't seem much heavier than the larger dried petals in the chaff.

Are you saving some special seeds for the Feb swap this year? :-)

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Shake down your plants for free seed: an introduction to collecting seeds Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Neat guide there! Dinu 15 Oct 17, 2008 4:10 AM
Thank you, thank you, thank you. LouC 1 Oct 16, 2008 2:40 PM
Good phicks 1 Oct 16, 2008 3:55 PM
Great for the beginers! adinamiti 4 Oct 16, 2008 6:28 PM
Thanks Sundownr 1 Oct 17, 2008 2:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America