Photo by Melody

Plant Identification: SOLVED: Help with a couple more unknowns please!!

Communities > Forums > Plant Identification
bookmark
Forum: Plant IdentificationReplies: 11, Views: 234
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9251349

These are some of the plants that I rescued from a garden scrape, and some of them have just matured and/or started blooming. Some of them may not bloom at all this year, but it was from an overgrown garden whose owner said that she would just grab seeds and throw them all over her back yard. It actually looked very nice before she decided to plow it under.

#1 Started out smaller, and now had grown this big and doesn't seem to be doing anything else. About 1.5 round and 4-6" tall. More prostrate.
#2 there are three that are the same plant (this one and 4 & 5). At first I thought it was a poppy that I planted, but then it grew more and the leaves look like this. Fairly large and furry.
#3 is the same plant as #1 with some lemon balm, part of a hollyhock, columbine, oregano, alyssum, a daisy seed head, and some other misc. (looks like I found some more bindweed too)
#4 same plant as #2 zoomed out, with more of the random mix of plants surrounding it...and I think some snow on the mountain(Aegopodium 'Variegatum') as well.
#5 underside of the leaf of the plant in #2 & #4. (And more bindweed to pull! I'm going crazy with that stuff!!!)

**edited to indicate the right picture numbers--not sure how they got switched when it uploaded.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 10:25 AM

Thumbnail by nonconformist7   Thumbnail by nonconformist7   Thumbnail by nonconformist7   Thumbnail by nonconformist7   Thumbnail by nonconformist7
Click an image for an enlarged view.

altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

August 24, 2012
7:51 AM

Post #9252103

The first plant looks rather like the first year rosette of houndstongue, Cynoglossum officinale, a common invasive weed.
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
8:21 PM

Post #9254879

I agree houndstongue looks like this plant, and the two year life cycle fits as I can't see it doing anything else this year other than a rosette, unless of course it's growth was altered because of the transplant mid summer. The leaves are not hairy or rough though, they feel more smooth and bubbly. The second plant with the serrated edged leaves is hairy and rough, almost like a hollyhock, but not quite as 'itchy'. It is also in a rosette...

"Houndstongue is a non-native biennial (two year life cycle) which grows 1 1/2 to 3 feet tall. This nasty weed is native to Europe. It forms a rosette (a disk of foliage) the first year (leaves near the ground in a circle with no visible stem). The heavy, tongued shaped leaves alternate up the stem and are about 4 to 12 inches long. The leaves are hairy and rough and feel like a dog's tongue, and that's how it acquired it's name."
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9303143

The plant in 2, 4, and 5 have a bloom but it hasn't done any more than this for a week or two and we've been getting some light dustings of snow. If it does any more I will take more pics. Thanks!

Thumbnail by nonconformist7   Thumbnail by nonconformist7         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

October 12, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9303246

black eyed susan?
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 12, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9303282

The leaves look correct, as long as the plant itself is about as big as a serving platter and a foot to two feet tall, that's probably it. I'm still looking fire my echinacea purpea to come up but I haven't seen it at all.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 12, 2012
4:23 PM

Post #9303454

In the two above photos one can see a variegated plant. This looks like Aegopodium podagraria 'Variegatum', Goutweed. Be advised that at least in this part of the country it is horribly invasive and difficult to eradicate.

spoonlegs
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 12, 2012
6:07 PM

Post #9303539

#1 & 5 (edit: I meant #1 & 3) look like a puckered version of evening primrose (Oenothera). Could it be?

This message was edited Oct 14, 2012 9:54 PM
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2012
3:48 PM

Post #9304166

Greenthumb that plant is indeed "snow on the mountain". I have been keeping an eye on it and so far it's playing nice, not sure what it acts like here but I've heard horror stories from other regions.
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 13, 2012
3:53 PM

Post #9304167

1&3 are the same plant and they don't look like my other primrose...more prostrate.
spoonlegs
Cottage Grove, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 14, 2012
9:57 PM

Post #9305491

Oops! I meant # 1 & 3. Is your other primrose an evening-primrose, or a Primula?

I checked ours today, and some of them have puckery leaves, too.
nonconformist7
Aurora, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 14, 2012
10:05 PM

Post #9305494

Yeah it's evening primrose but is erect and much smaller leaves. Also not in a rosette like this plant. I think I will probably have to wait until next year to get an I'd on this one. I actually have 6 or 7 of these in my three beds...hopefully they turn out to be something worthwhile.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Plant Identification Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
SOLVED: Help with identification of this shrub dave 86 Nov 11, 2013 6:20 PM
SOLVED: Can Anyone Help Gayl 8 Jul 2, 2010 2:47 PM
SOLVED: help identify herb seeds????? dignbloom 6 Nov 4, 2010 8:08 PM
SOLVED: Mystery perennial dave 19 May 28, 2010 1:24 PM
SOLVED: Name my aloe??? tom1953 21 Jul 15, 2012 1:32 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America