Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Perennials: What new plants have you just put in the ground?

Communities > Forums > Perennials
bookmark
Forum: PerennialsReplies: 229, Views: 2,246
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
2:25 PM

Post #9251465

With summer winding down I am always interested as to what DG members have very recently put in the ground (must be bought *new* sometime this season).

I'll start.

Today I bought and then planted these 4 perennials:

- Oenothera fremontii 'Shimmer'

- Thalictrum aquilegiifolium 'Sparkler'

- Thalictrum delavayi 'Hewett's Double'

- Kalimeris incisa ‘Blue Star’

This message was edited Aug 23, 2012 4:43 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9251548

I got some goodies off the $1 table:(Lowes) Clematis Victoria (2), Clematis Honora (2), Clematis (?)(1). SCORE!!!!! LOL.
From a local nursery(ok, it's 60 miles from home but...), Rosa Wichurana, Baptisia austraulis, Thermopsis montana, Platycodon grandiflorus Hakone Blue, Antirrhinum braun-bianquetii, Nepeta fassenil Six Hills, Autumn Crescendo Mum, Helenium Rotgold (red/gold), Osteospurmum Avalanche, Thalictrum delvayi, Veronica x Reavis Crystal River. All from the $1 table. How's that for a haul??? LOL. I'll be going back there in a few weeks to see what they've added...Just got so not in the ground yet..

Oh and I got scads of goodies from trades here at Dave's, thankyou allllll...Now that the temps are cooling off planting will begin soon, most things were put in pots til the heat of the summer was ousted!!!!! LOL...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy
Click the image for an enlarged view.

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 23, 2012
4:14 PM

Post #9251570

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"]Rosa Wichurana, Baptisia austraulis, Thermopsis montana, Platycodon grandiflorus Hakone Blue, Antirrhinum braun-bianquetii, Nepeta fassenil Six Hills, Autumn Crescendo Mum, Helenium Rotgold (red/gold), Osteospurmum Avalanche, Thalictrum delvayi, Veronica x Reavis Crystal River.

How's that for a haul??? I'll be going back there in a few weeks to see what they've added...[/quote]

Outstanding 'kathy' . We are all proud (and envious) of your sooo many acquisitions! I am extra envious as you must have a large property allowing you to plant so many items.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 23, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9251713

Miscanthus Strictus, Miscanthus Gracillimus, Austin Rose Jude the Obscure, Austin Rose The Ingenious Mr. Fairchild, Harkness Rose Jacquelyn DuPre.

I put in a ton of stuff from my old house (we turn it over to the excited new owners on September 28) but that doesn't count because I did not purchase them new.

And that doesn't count the three peonies (Mrs. FDR and 2 Burma Midnight), three kinds of daffodils (Mt. Hood, Mrs. Backhouse and WP Milner), alliums and chionodoxa that will be arriving any day now.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
4:13 AM

Post #9251933

[quote="DonnaMack"]I put in a ton of stuff from my old house (we turn it over to the excited new owners on September 28) [/quote]

Do you mean that you dug up some favourites from your old place to bring to your new place?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
11:45 AM

Post #9252283

YARROW, PENSTEMON, DAYLILY ,The last will go in the ground in a couple of weeks.
I almost forgot about a new Coneflower that I just planted recently. Thought I would try a few hot weather dryland, or xeriscape plants since those are all that seemed to do as well as usual this year.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
2:13 PM

Post #9252424

[quote="juhur7"] YARROW, PENSTEMON,[/quote]

I am curious as to which variety of YARROW and PENSTEMON?

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
2:38 PM

Post #9252446

Yarrow ptarmica "Nobleessa" Penstemon " "Sunburst Ruby" ,and "Dark Towers " I will be dividing yarrow "Coronation Gold" and some species true when the weather allows.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
2:47 PM

Post #9252456

I love lots of things about my Yarrow "Strawberry Seduction" but what I don't like is that it flops during its first round of flowers.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 24, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9252474

The Coronation Gold wants to reach and flop also unless you put it someplace like the middle of the driveway.lol Loves lots of sun and heat.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
4:44 PM

Post #9252586

Rouge,

Oh, absolutely I took plants from my house! My garden was so mature that it was at the point where you need to cut back and divide. And lots of my plants had thrown off seedlings that I could simply take without disturbing the main clump. Gardening had become a lot less fun because it was almost impossible to add anything. I was growing inpots a lot.

First I took almost all of my lilies. They were hiding in the ground. I took about 60.

I took sections or offsets of:

Nepeta Dawn to Dusk
Nepeta Snowflake
Nepeta Souvenir D'Andre Chaudron
A Nepeta Six Hills Giant I didn't install but found last week
Salvia tesquicola I seeded that started out as three plants, but became 20
7 heuchera Firefly I had grown from seed
Several feverfew tetra strain I seeded (there are about 50 in my yard)
Athyrium nipponicum pictum (an offset)
Athyrium nipponicum Ursula's Red (one of two)
Anemone Hybrida Honorine Jobert (2 of at least 20)
Allium ramosum clumps (there were tons)
Allium christophii (there were at least 100)
Allium oreophyllum clumps
Allium schearocephalen clumps (many left)
2 Rose Marie Pavie
Peony Festiva Maxima
Peony Lady Alexandra Duff
Peony Kansas
Peony Moonstone
Peony White Frost
Peony Burma Ruby
Peony Lois
Hydrangea querquefolia Snowflake
Several fragaria vesca reugen I had grown from seed
Miscanthus giganteous clump that appeared in a bed near the original plant
Parsley sections
Salvia Swan Lake
Polemonium caeruleum plants I had grown from seed - lots left
2 clumps of epimedium x versicolor sulphurum (I still have three feet of it that should be divided)
Campanula Bernice (1 of 3)
Digitalis grandiflora (my original one had become 8)
Cynoglossum (it had spread all over the yard)
Japanese variegated Kerria
Deutzia Chardonnay
Bergenia Winterglut I had grown from seed
Chasmanthium latifolium (seeds like crazy)

The amazing thing is that you cannot tell that things are missing. I had about 55 ornamental grasses, and I have lots of ornamental trees and shrubs like a Paperbark Maple, a big Yoshino cherry, two crabapples, a pagoda Dogwood, 5 fothergilla gardenii, 5 smokebushes, 8 lilacs, 14 bayberries and an assortment of viburnums, 20 roses and some hydrangeas. I couldn't realistically take any of that.

The cost of replacing what I took with new plants would have been in the hundreds of dollars - if you could find some of the plants. And I learned that a lot of "rules of gardening" are just nonsense.

My new yard, with it's new purchases along with these, looks very nice!

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 8:21 AM
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9252591

Donna - you are my hero.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9252723

LOL! You are adorable.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
2:02 AM

Post #9252891

[quote="carolmo"]Donna - you are my hero. [/quote]

Ditto, ditto!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
2:07 AM

Post #9252892

You two are sweet!
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
2:20 AM

Post #9252897

[quote="DonnaMack"]Gardening had become a lot less fun because it was almost impossible to add anything. [/quote]

Donna, so was one of the main impetuses for moving lack of garden space? After 4 seasons of concentrated perennial gardening I am now at that point ie no more space. Next season all I can really do is 'shuffle the deck' or hope for some winter kill!

[quote="DonnaMack"]
First I took almost all of my lilies. They were hiding in the ground. I took about 60.

I took sections or offsets of:
[/quote]

I am curious as to the time-line of this operation. Did you have access to your new home in advance of giving up your existing home thereby allowing you to much more easily transfer those dug up plants?

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 7:34 AM
Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 25, 2012
4:28 AM

Post #9252947

Donna,

Did your peonies form seed? I was wondering if it is possible to grow them that way. Peonies aren't readily available in SA. Last year one of the nurseries advertised some corms, but at that time they were just too expensive. I however decided that I would budget for some this year, and now, as you have guessed, they don't offer them. Would love to grow some though. No matter how long I have to wait for flowers...

Elsa
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
7:53 AM

Post #9253087

The peonies were not from seed, but Steve FortWorth (now SteveGreenville) has very kindly gifted me several peonies in October of 2008 - six, in fact. I was able to dig those up largely intact, and I immediately in April of 2011 and put them into pots. I then put them in an unheated garage over the winter and put them into the ground in spring of 2012. Then I went back and decided to dig up a Lady Alexandra Duff I had installed in 2005 (just LOVE that one) and a Kansas I had installed in about 2003 that had never bloomed properly. I figured, what the heck. I could try to take them and have them fail, or I would need to be buy new ones.

The results were mixed, but a few actually moved forward. Lois had never produced more than one flower (a Steve gift), but this year - POW! I put it in the midst of the salvia tesquicola I had grown from seed, and it worked. Burma Ruby didn't miss a beat. (not pictured) Pic. 1

Now I did have to leave three of my most sumptuous peonies. Festiva Maxima Pic 2.

Mrs. FDR (foreground) and Cornelia Shaylor in the rear Pic. 3

They were just huge. But Steve had given me a new Festiva Maxima, and I ordered Mrs. FDR from Old House Gardens at a bargain price.

The one peony I can't replace that I would want again is Cornelia Shaylor - It appears to be out of commerce. Freaking huge, requiring serious staking, and worth the effort. Pic 4.

The last photo shows how big Mrs. FDR and Cornelia Shaylor were in 2011. Oh, I miss them!

But the motto of the story is that if you have to move, please ignore conventional wisdom. Get a bunch of cheap pots and save your babies. I got many free on Freecycle, a free swap group. I flung some into the ground and am redesigning now. It's amazing how much abuse they can take. Get out there, grab them , and shove them into a piece of soil, whether in the ground or in a pot. It works!

Of course, I'm a little obsessed about my plants!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack
Click an image for an enlarged view.

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 25, 2012
9:20 AM

Post #9253172

Donna,

Your peonies are gorgeous! I am green with envy. :-) . I really need to find another supplier...

Elsa

Forgot to mention that your Mrs. FDR reminds me of Sharifa Asma rose. I would give almost anything to have of them growing in my garden. (Have Sharifa, and she is to die for - looks and fragrance.)

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 6:23 PM
weedyseedy
Warners, NY

August 25, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9253179

I am preparing to plant a rose cutting from my favorite plantsman---I don't think I should mention it's name as I suspect it's patented. But it is growing and blooming beautifully and it is going right by my back door. Winter and critter protection are a must, and, I haven't decided how to do that yet as chipmunks have eaten all the tulip bulbs and the deer mice move in like snowbirds to their condominiums and we spend the winter live trapping them ( or I do!) and moving them back to their brush pile. My wife insists they just take turns coming back and greet each other with "Hey bro it's your turn to move in with the people where it's warm and there's food in the pantry" She may be right.-----------------------------------------------Weedy

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9253264

Donna...I have a source for you on the peonies you want to replace...Have you tried Gilbertwild.com. They sell peonies and I have gotten several (in the past) from them...Mrs. FDR was one of my favs!!!!! I know they have one that is named Shaylor, tho I seem to remember the first name as Nick. If they don't show them on their web site send them a e-mail as I believe they have numerous varieties that aren't always listed. And the roots they send are huge compared to what's available from local suppliers, and if they have what your looking for they might even have a larger more mature plant available...Years ago when I ordered from them there plants were supposedly 3-5 eyes and were more like 10-15 eyes...They must have over 200 varieties...Wouldn't ya just love to be their neighbor, lol...
Isn't it amazing what can be taken out of a mature garden and it won't even look like it's been raided, lol...good job...Just a hint on those looking for pots...sometimes some of the nurseries recycle them, ask and they may just have some...also look at Lowe's and Home Depot, some bring their pots back. Every year it seems like I need more and more to put my newly aquirred trades in, so I grab stacks of them when I can find them.

Elsa...I'm thinking I might have some peony seeds collected from last year...if your interested in trying I'll include those for you to try in out rare seed swap...just let me know if you want and I will put your name on them when I send my goodies in...

Pix is my most favorite that I got from them many moons ago...Duchess de Nemours..(hope I spelled that correctly).

Weedy lol..is that one of those D.A. types?...Don't ya just love what that man has done for Roses...especially trying to include fragrance back into them unlike so many now days that don't even care if there is fragrance or not.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
12:14 PM

Post #9253342

Did you see this thread?

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273516/

Leawood Gardiner knew a couple who were reducing inventory, so their peonies are (it's still going on) 50% off. I needed peonies for semi-shade. I love big buxon doubles but Steve gave me Burma Joy - which is an early single and blooms in the shade! Here it is this May. I actually took it out of the pot during a mild day in December and installed it. It bloomed to the same level as it had in the ground. I was really pleased.

So I went down theii list and found Burma Midnight, another early blooming red that will work in shade, and ordered two of them.

http://www.peonies.net/details.php?id=199

$22 for two. Whee!

I have heard tremendous things about Gilbert Wild. I remember looking through their wonderful selections.

And, oh wow, they have a sale too! Look at these prices!

http://www.gilberthwild.com/Daylily/products/17/

Oh, oh!

Donna

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9253409

Yes Donna, they have great prices and wonderful plants!!!! I ordered from them years ago and they ended up being shipped in a wodden crate, not only were there numerous eyes but the roots themselves were huge!!!! definately not the small things you pick up in the spring in baggies from the big box stores...

Elsa, what are your growing conditions, here in the states we have Zones to give us a better idea of what plants will grow where in the U.S. I'm not sure how cold you get in the winter where you live but peonies do need so many hours of chilling temps. in order to set blooms for the following season. I'm thinking the upper zone temps for peonies is zone 8 (10-20*F or -12*to -7*C).

Elsa123
Pretoria
South Africa

August 26, 2012
12:43 AM

Post #9253936

Kathy,

I think we are borderline zone 8 / 9. We do get quite low temperatures in winter. This past winter we even had snow for a few minutes! LOL! I will plant them in a cooler part of my garden. The northern part is more protected, and therefor warmer in winter, but the southern part is a whole lot colder.

Edited for spelling mistake

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 3:31 PM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9253965

Elsa, it's that kind of imagination and resourcefulness that lets a gardener expand his or her palette of plants.

Bravo!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9254687

I forgot earlier that I had just planted a couple of more hibiscus,red fireball.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9254876

Elsa...go to web site for the University of Georgia, horticulture section (Alan Armitage). They have been doing test trials to find out which varieties of peonies that do best and bloom at those warmer zones. Some varieties require less chilling to bloom (freezing temps), many require a certain # of hours to produce blooms, after all that's why we grow and love them sooo, the blooms.

Pix is of my one and only tree peony, first bloom this springand is fragrant too.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 29, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9257949

I just planted iris and am waiting for a Mid America order

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

August 30, 2012
8:16 PM

Post #9259976

Is each pix a vinette or planting group? OUTSTANDING...#3&4 are my favs...am hoping one day to begin doing such, have some, just waiting for things to knit together...I noticed this spring that many of the Iris in the border are needing early bloomers along side...I'm ready for spring...Kathy

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2012
2:29 AM

Post #9260095

Thanks
The pix are planting groups.I will probably just make it with some combos where the iris is leaving bloom and the early lily is blooming.
The perennial in #3 is Carradona salvia,#4 is an early lily Tiny icon with Nepeta Sweet Dreams

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 13, 2012
11:15 PM

Post #9274672

and some iris from WWK!!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
12:38 AM

Post #9274687

Phlox Flame series Lilac
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 14, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9274878

Rouge,

I just reread the above threads and realize that I did not answer your inquiry about the timeline of my moving plants. I wrote it all down.

With the house on the market in April, I rented a two bedroom unit. My biggest criterion was that it have a south facing balcony big enough to accomodate pots (lots of them!!) I had a mature garden with tons of stuff in it. I was able to remove a great deal without ruining the harmony of the garden.

Dug up the following and put them into pots on the large patio of the rental unit:

Deutzia Chardonnay
Peonies White Frost, Burma Joy, Coral Charm (the only one I lost), Lois, Festiva Maxima and Moonstone
Despite the fact that I dug them up one and a half months before they were to bloom, several did bloom two months later. None of these had been in the ground for more than three years, so I got the plants largely intact.

Chionodoxa in several colors (I put them in the peony pots)
Rose Gruss an Aachen

The following lilies (I took favorites and out of commerce first):

Lilium candidum grown from seed
Amethyst Temple
Emerald Temple
Anastasia
White Henryi
Note, they all bloomed. Just dig deep and get it all.

In May I dug up and put in pots:
Lilium Hiawatha
Lilium Pink Heaven
Lilium Silk Road (took 2 of 4 and took the rest later in bud - all of them bloomed)
Lilium Crystal Blanca (took 1 of 2, found the other burning in July, and lifted it in mid-bloom - both bloomed well)
Japanese Kerria
Digitalis grandiflora
4 of 7 Heuchera Firefly
Allium christophii
Fragaria vesca reugen

In July:
This was when I took a large number of lilies. Some had multiplied so heavily (Silver Sunburst, White Henryi, Anastasia) that they needed to be dug up and separated. When I did that, I potted some up. Everything bloomed. I also dug up my daffodils, which desperately needed to be replanted. They were so overcrowded that they were rising to the surface. I dried and stored them.

In August:
Took a few more lilies when I realized how many were left - at least 300
Thalictrum Black Stockings into a pot - a gift from a DGER
Leucojum Gravetye Giant (dried and stored - 5 bulbs had turned i to about 50)
Ornithogalem nutans (dried and stored - 5 bulbs had turned into about 100)
Hardy geraniums into a pot - they had been a gift from a DGer

In September:
I started digging, drying and storing the lilies from the pots. Turned out there were 68!!!

In October:
Dug up and into pots
Nepeta Snowflake
Nepeta Dawn to Dusk
Campanula Bernice
Salvia Swan Lake

In November and December:
The weather was very mild, and the new owners, who were leaving in December, very kindly "gave me the garden".

I installed anemones, saponaria bouncing bett, bergenia.
I went back to the house and took two sections of an enormous epimedium, several ornamental grass offsets, and athyrium nipponicum Ursulas Red and installed them.
I also installed most of the peonies

On December 11 I moved, and plants that didn't go into the ground went into the house (hardy geraniums) or to the garage (Heritage in a pot).

That's the timeline. Since I was simultaneously maintaining the garden at the house and my own patio garden (32 miles apat!) I had the opportunity, while weeding and pruning, to see what I could take. Now it's a garden to garden transfer. I found ornamental grasses that had seeded where they didn't belong. The biggest bonus was platycodon seedlings. I've raised them, but it's tough. I raised some, and found some in the yard that were small enough to take intact.

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

September 14, 2012
1:28 PM

Post #9275211

Incredible Donna. You obviously know what you are doing.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

September 14, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9275264

And yesterday after I typed, ice plants went into the garden.
timeinabottle
Louisville, KY

September 14, 2012
4:31 PM

Post #9275389

I continue to love my biennials. I have been transplanting foxglove,english daisy and forget me nots. I have also recently planted 9 Japanese iris.I have yet to plant cantebury bells and a mystery campanula from a cottage garden seed mix.
On the more adventuresome side I have transplanted Some Lupine seedlings. These generally are not reccomended in the hot humid Ohio Valley.

Like Donna I have lots of daffs to divide. The fun part is that the scilla are coming up all over my beds.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
4:45 AM

Post #9275746

Rogue, it was largely a matter of realizing that I could risk killing then while moving them or lose them altogether. The great thing about the experience was realizing that a lot of the conventional wisdom about moving plants, especially peonies, came from the sellers of those plants. A lot of it simply isn't true. It encourages you to abandon your garden whenever you move.

If I had been going straight from house to house I would have potted up everything and put it in my garage. And I got a lot of the pots from people who advertised that they were giving them away.

But I really think it was a little crazy! On the other hand, my new yard is quite lush.

Oh, biennials! Aren't they wonderful? Especially Canterbury bells. I once seeded a JLHudson mix and got clue, pink and white - I don't know which is more beautiful.

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9275870

I just came in from planting a Gentiana "True Blue", an Ozark "Sundrop" and a Geranium "macrorrhizum".
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
6:40 AM

Post #9278663

3 plants of geranium robertianum, 1 geranium Bevan's variety, 2 Nepeta Joanna Reed, 2 Nepeta Six Hills Giant, 3 allium ramosum. All gifts from a kind DGer. Wow!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9278670

Oh! And digging in the ground to put in my Robertianums (a very shady are) I went about five inches down and found what was clearly a peony root! Several eyes have developed. I think it was planted, probably many years ago, in an area that now gets very little sun.

So I put it in a pot. Can you imagine? While planting a gift I find a treasure.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 18, 2012
6:53 AM

Post #9278688

Yippppeee for peonies. I know the rule is not to plant too deep but my parents had a serious landscape job done ages ago.Moving dirt over an old garden.The peonies grew thru several feet of earth and bloomed singles for years until the house was sold. Maybe they werent hybrids
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
8:55 AM

Post #9283889

Two Burma Midnight peonies from Peony.net, the recommendation of Gary (Leawood Gardener). One had 14 eyes and the other 9. I've never seen that many eyes on a peony I was planting for the first time. They were a half price sale. I had space for them in my new shadier yard because they are early blooming singles, and I found from growing Burma Ruby that if you have shade early singles really do work.

The really nice thing about them is that they were easy to install. Some of the peonies that I have received have all the eyes clustered at the top, making them, at least for me, harder to plant. These eyes were spread in such a way that I didn't have to dig halfway to China to get them in. A nice touch at the end of a long gardening season when you really are a bit tired of digging one hole after another (of course, no one made me buy all those roses!)
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9284040

FWIW I do not have one peony in my garden. Sun and space have always been at a premium. I guess I must rely on your pictures for my Peony 'fix'!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9284093

Honestly, they have taken a definite step back in my garden. I am using my sun mostly for roses, grasses and lilies. These happen to be shade tolerant peonies, which is why I could do it.

If it's s fix you want, I will be happy to provide it!
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

September 23, 2012
3:10 PM

Post #9284192

Finished putting it 3 "Solar Eclipse" heucherella a couple of days ago. I believe these are the last new plants for me this season (excluding bulbs still to come). In fact this is early for me as I recall last fall putting in new plants up until November1st!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 23, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9284366

I'm trying to finish up too. I gave in to the urge to take advantage of a ridiculous sale at Santa Rosa Nursery ($1.99 plants, $7.99 flat shipping) that is coming any day now. That, a peony and a few bulbs will do it. I have unpleasant memories of years of planting in November while blowing my nose and having my eyes tear up from the cold. No rerun for me!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
1:48 AM

Post #9284545

I suffer the same fate in late fall.
Plant and bulb arrival time is the second consideration for me.
I will be planting Columbine,Monarda and coreopsis.
I also took advantage of SR sale.The ran out of one of 3 coreopsis so I just took the 2 that were left.No back orders.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
1:49 AM

Post #9284546

Thanks. Located Santa Rosa sale. Got several plants I left behind at old house (alchemilla mollis, artemisa silver mound, scabiosa butterfly and pink mist, lambs ear ) - LOT cheaper this way. Also got 3 types of echinacea, 5 types of shasta daisy (think I was losing them to voles before), hardy white verbena (worth a try), blue ceratostigma (always killed but optimistic). Love blue flowers - so do those rodents with big ears. Lost almost all the new delphiniums to them. Need to finish rabbit fence soon - before winter - so I will be ready for spring and more blue flowers.

Just finished potting up new and replacement shrub plants from Girard 40% off sale into pots (if very small) then flexible tubs. Also put some lilies in tubs until I have a place for them in the ground with daffodils and/or shale. The spring Girard order had trouble with the heat and drought. Finally located a place that sold pansies and put them in the tubs with the shrubs - they are really nice for winter and spring. Trying to decide which dwarf fruit trees to order and when (now or spring). Bulbs coming soon too, mostly dwarf daffodils for the pesky wabbits. Finished putting new tall, border, and dwarf iris in beds. I actually have 2 beds for border and dwarf iris - how cool is that? Still need to finish planting 11 old and new daylilies in beds. Back sunny yard is close to being done - brick lined beds, mulched paths, plants, obelisks, solar lights. Will restart veges soon in tubs - lettuce, etc.

Front mostly shady yard almost done - clover looks good - neighbors cannot grow grass because of shade. Rhodos (lost 5 of 6, 3 more are burned), azaleas (lost 1 of 6), hostas (still alive but burned), kalmias (lost 2 of 3 to Bigfoot and bunny), heucheras (most are good that were not stepped on by Bigfoot), 2 types of viburnums (alive and got more), newly planted white hardy mums (sure I believe it). Moved the dwarf conifers to tubs in back because of rotten bunny - left boxwoods there but bunny is chewing them too. Can't shoot them (too many cops nearby), have to live with them somehow - little daffodil protectors coming mid Oct. Just finished pulling some crab grass and strange weeds - it is about 99% clover. It seems bunnies do NOT prefer clover over my plants.

It is the word 'sale' that seems to be hardwired into our brains and causes us to order more, and more, and more. I really need to stop ordering plants now. The ordering is fun but the digging gets to be a chore.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 24, 2012
2:05 AM

Post #9284550

Ahhmen !!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 24, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9284609

You've got that right, sister!
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2012
5:26 PM

Post #9286349

I haven't ordered anything, but I am planting all the perennial and biennial plants I grew from Winter Sowing. In the last two days, I planted 70 plants, Lilies, Digitalis, Penstemon and others. I still have about 60 more to plant. I have looked at the catalogs but told myself I just need to get the plants I have in the ground and move around the plants in the garden that need to be moved.
The weather is so nice right now, but I do get tired.
Donna, reading your calendar of planting made me tired. How do you do it? You are very organized. I am going to print your list out and look up the plants I don't recognize.

I have also started making a brick border around my gardens. That will be an on going project.
I think it's easier to to work in the garden in the fall than in the spring. You can see where all of your plants are yet and not dig into something that hadn't awakened yet.

I dug up some daffodils a couple of days ago. They had surfaced. Someone posted above that they divided them due to them surfacing. I thought they had surfaced because we did not dig them deep enough to begin with. So, now I wonder if I should dig them back up and divide them? More daffodils are always nice. They are white ones.

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2012
5:30 PM

Post #9286353

carolmo: what's a bunny fence. We had rabbits for the first time this year in 25 years. We have rabbits, deer were horrible, ground hog, and something? has dug a burrow right next to my rose bush.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 25, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9286357

Donna, I have Jude the Obscure--love it. It gets very tall and is wonderfully fragrant. Easy care.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9286375

Birder,

Phenomenal - Jude was a happy error. Order two roses, get three! I have been looking at pics of it and it looks wonderful. I just had to place it carefully because apricot, however lovely, is not in my color scheme. So I located it away from a pink rose (Marchesa Boccella) and closer to a white rose (Sea Foam).

I found a lot of daffodils had been pushed to the surface. I put in 5 Mt. Hoods from Old House Gardens a few years ago and now I must have 70 at my old house (which closed today - the buyer is over the moon, he loves the house and garden so much). So on my last trip I pulled up about 20 that were no more than 2 inches down. It's so nice to find a buyer who loves what you have done and wants to keep it. It makes me smile. That's why I can't be sad.

Do bear in mind as you look at my insane list that I had not only been planting since 1998, but my garden was full. And when I started pricing replacements I was stunned. They costs had gone up 3-4 times. Since through the spring and summer I was driving 64 miles every Friday to tend to the garden, I would just bring pots of compost and dig up some of the ridiculous excess. There were a lot of homes for sale in my community. Mine was smaller but because of the easement and placement the garden was much larger than most and chocked full of goodies. I knew that I would attract fewer buyers but they would be more passionate (at the last minute, we received an offer $10,000 higher). If you had weeks and weeks to do it, and had to take care of another yard, you would probably do it to. Especially if, like me, you are a little nutty (yes, I admit it!)

And I think on the scale of garden passion I am 11 out of 10. I have been told that I "caress every leaf". I get a bizarre satisfaction out of researching unusual plants and then finding out EXACTLY what they want. Some people cook like that, some sew like that, I garden like that. I love creating beauty with my own hands and my own ideas.

Yep! A little nutty.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

September 25, 2012
7:51 PM

Post #9286486

Bunny fence: 2 ft tall, 1 inch holes, 50 ft long chicken wire fencing attached with wire to bottom of chain link fence that allows rabbits to get through on the bottom. Supposed to place at least 6 inches under surface to prevent them digging under. Instead, we wire 1 ft on fence and 1 ft on the flat surface and wired it down with landscape fabric stakes. If they still get through, I can later dig the mini trench and place the bottom in it.

I am getting close to being done with the garden bones for the year. 547 bricks to line the beds (I kept track), garden soil, compost, 2 obelisks, solar lights, tree stakes for dwarf trees, cedar and rubber mulch for paths, 2 sprinklers provide almost perfect coverage in back now (will avoid planting in 2 corners), now set up to merely turn off one toggle and turn on another to change to other sprinkler (had to use 4 sprinklers at old house but with 2 toggle sets or shut off valves).

Iris and daylilies are finally all in today. I do not know how I have so many of each. It just happened. I am glad I took as many plants as I did from my old house - it would cost a fortune to replace these - even if they were still available. Only waiting for bulbs mid Oct from Brent and Becky (dwarf daffodil plant protectors), and on sale perennials (echinacea, shasta, etc.).

Still have cleanup to do, and must figure out what to do with patio area since broken patio was removed before I moved in. Have giant pile of dirt in patio area that I need to thin out (dirt from holes for new plants), one old shrub I need to dig out, apple limbs cut down and apples on ground from neighbor's trees that hang over fence. Have old leaky birdbath that city trash people will not take - will learn to seal concrete soon - have material and will experiment. If it turns out badly, I can pay to have it hauled.

At least the weather is getting cool enough to work in. 15 tomatoes did poorly; I need to remove them for the bunny fence but noticed many new baby tomatoes so will wait. The cooler weather is being good to the plants. Have pepper plants - they seem to be doing well, but I did not even look for peppers because we were so busy with the grunt work.

Think I must wait til spring for more trees, even though I could get some now. My to-do list for house and garden is big and does not shrink - when I get something done, another item is added.

Most everything survived the heat and drought due to daily watering. My water bill was not high at all - and 3 months of them now were supposed to be real and not estimated. One person in another nearby town got a $600 bill for one month just watering the lawn. Ouch. I did spend over $600 on rubber mulch for paths, because I like it, had it before, looks really good, does not roll downhill with rain, does not require refurbishing all the time, can take leaf blowers, and is very bouncy when on the flat. I used to have wood mulch applied every single year at great expense and it just turns to black dirt - not what I wanted for paths.

Tossed 2 lavender roses (just cannot seem to keep these 2 alive) but noticed remaining roses are heavily budded now. Wow! Jude the Obscure (new), Evelyn (new), and some others will give the place wonderful fragrance and beauty.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 26, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9286562

I have a shipment of Coreopsis coming. Center Stage and another that looks like it plus Route 66.
I will finish planting columbine and monarda this morning. That should end plants for this year. Its getting harder to find room plus dig new holes without standing on other plants.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 26, 2012
5:18 AM

Post #9286637

Wow, Carolmo, I thought I was ambitious. What a ton you have on your plate! You are really doing all that work yourself? I loved lining the beds back home with bricks, but I think I used about 200. I hope that you are breaking up the work so that you don't kill your back.

I addressed the watering issue by using lots of soaker hoses in my yard. It really kept all the bills except for one at about $60. Over the years I had acquired about 30 soaker hoses. I had 23 roses in full sun, and I would put the hoses in, bury them with mulch, put them on timers that went 15 minutes on, 15 minutes off, and it worked. I was actually giving some to my grateful neighbors. I particularly like to put them around the base of trees and thread them through new beds and plants.

Next mission is to block out the chain link fences with the junk in the yards to the east. And the dog. (Pic. 1) At this site, I am installing a trellis from home, and I will grow Tess of the D'ubervilles on it, as I did at home. I had three trellis - a wonderful and very heavy wrought iron one from Smith and Hawkin (Pic. 2) , a President Lincoln trellis I got from Edmunds years ago, and a huge redwood one I had installed in cement. The S&H was exquisitely made, but not only has S&H been taken over by Target, but the Target stuff is cheaply made. So I took the two I could, and I am growing climbers up them. When I looked for trellises of that quality, I could only find inferior ones for three times the money.

The rest of the chain link is being boxed out by two deutzia Codsall Pinks (thanks Weerobin) and a Miscanthus Giganteous (I didn't know it would grow in shade - thanks Viburnum Valley). I do have three ginormous autumn clematis that grow on other sections of the fence. Pic 3 - yes, there is chain link under that mass!

Better yet, a tree that was removed from the front parkway more than 20 years ago had heaved and cracked te sidewalk in the front. No one had ever been able to persuade the village to fix it. I was redoing the front parkway, having tilled it, and being in the midst of thatching it, but I was advised to hold off untill the work was done.

The lovely men from Elgin are doing the work. 3 sections of sidewalk. My old community uesed to "share" the cost with you. Here, they pay for it all. Whoo hoo! And look at that smile! (Pic. 4)

Pic 5 is as of yesterday afternoon. When it's done, I will finish thatching and put down new grass.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack

birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

September 27, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9287979

Donna, I think you placed the Jude the Obscure well. It does turn different shades of color, and I think it's a "blender". It will pick up pinks, whites, yellows, apricots. So, I think you did well.
I think it's wonderful you were able to take so many plants with you. NOt only do they cost a lot to re-place, some of them probably have some sort of sentimental value and bring certain memories back. You were soooo lucky to get a buyer that appreciates your yard. Usually, buyers let the gardens go, and they look awful. I hope this will not be the case.
It's about to rain, and I have plants that need to put in the ground, so I have to cut this short.

I haven't yet read the bunny fence thread but will soon.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 27, 2012
1:21 PM

Post #9288131

Just planted Monarda Blue Stockings and Columbine McKanas Giant and BlueBird.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

September 27, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9288185

Oh, thank you Birder, It's good to know that about Jude. I have never seen, in da flesh (The Big Easy) some of my roses. They are only pictures.

The garden won't really need anything more until spring, when the grasses will need to be cut back. That said, there are a heck of a lot of grasses, and some of them are huge - five feet across. We would tie them and use a hedge trimmer - you can also hire someone to do it. But in exchange you get the equivalent of a beautiful fence. I am so glad I planned my garden around fall. The grasses (55?) are blooming, the smoke bushes (5) are blooming, the two crabapples are loaded with berries, and most of the viburnums. Add to that the reblooming roses, and it's pretty wild. And a fairly mature paperbark maple.

If they like grasses, they must be in heaven.

Showy stuff!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack         

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

September 29, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9289600

I am jazzed, my Santa Rosa order of coreopsis come today. Ya gotta love tracking numbers.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 3, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9294689

I got another set of gifts from my friend I originally met on DG. She connected me with the Peter Schneider rose event.

We went to lunch and she brought me a bunch of goodies. 2 huge clumps of sweet woodruff (gallium odoratum), so big that each can be divided into four plants, at least 25 plants of geranium Bevan's Variety, more geranium robertianum and other plants she is identifying for me. What phenomenal plants for shade! And what a perfect time to get them.

The geraniums are particularly welcomed because I somewhat impulsively installed a Charles de Mills rose. It is a gallica, and they are shade tolerant, but they also sucker like mad, which meant that I had to move several plants away from it, while using it to beat back lily of the valley (having removed about 500!) Now instead of open ground (the weed's delight) I have hardy geraniums and sweet woodruff. Could it be any better?

The only catch is that I am simultaneously working on the parkway. After tilling it, there is still old roots that I am removing with a thatch rake, then laying top soil, putting down seeds and watering. Happily for me, I had acquired about 25 soaker hoses over the years, which I am using to keep the seed moist.

So I am trying to install about 40 plants - plus my bulbs are coming. And one more peony. And I dug up a massive hydrangea to relocate it. So I had to move an Endless Summer I put in earlier this year (I got two 2 quart ones at the bargain price of $8 each!)

I might pot up my alchemillas and miscanthus for the winter and put them in my garage. They will join two lilium speciosum I was give, a rose Glamis Castle that's in a pot now, two tender hydrangeas and heaven knows what else.

Discovering the benefits of late season sales is definitely a blessing and a curse!

The biggest change in my garden is my lack of reluctance to dig things up and move them around. I used to be afraid to do that. Now I don't hesitate.

Donna
luciee
Hanceville, AL
(Zone 7a)

October 20, 2012
3:20 PM

Post #9310763

Snapdragons which had been growing in a pot for a few months. I grew them from seed and do not remember which ones they are. Luciee {;^)
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

October 20, 2012
3:58 PM

Post #9310785

[quote="rouge21"]Finished putting it 3 "Solar Eclipse" heucherella a couple of days ago. I believe these are the last new plants for me this season.[/quote]

I lied. Last week I threw a Rodgersia 'Bronze Peacock' into the ground having impulse bought it at a nursery a couple of weeks earlier. I have always intended to have a Rodgersia in my garden but had resigned myself to not as there really is no space left. If it makes it through the winter it does need to be moved...but I have no idea where to!
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

October 20, 2012
5:14 PM

Post #9310828

Have all Santa Rosa sale plants in ground - gorgeous things - will buy from him again. Have Brett and Becky's large daffodils and minor bulbs in. Almost have dwarf protector daffodils all in. Need to move some recently potted Girard sale shrubs (3 viburnums) into ground of front yard now - will keep some (azalea, 3 rhododendrons) in large pots for winter. Three great suppliers named here.

Paid to remove old broken bird bath - not worth fixing - man had the nerve to say it looked like I had a lot of work to do - he was looking at the many containers. I said I was almost done. Hmmph. Gardeners do not take such criticism well.

City will haul wood pallets used to get supplies from Lowes earlier, and one semi large tree limb we did not cut up. Many bags of trash tree limbs from neighbors apples trees that hang over fence. Many trash bags of 14 tomato plants to free fence for bunny fix. Front and back yards starting to look really good now. Hostas in front starting to look poorly - but I expect them to come back. Clover looks good in front. Mail man still avoiding front yard with wire fence. Across street, man has yellow tape up to stop walkers in his yard - at first I thought it was police tape but then remembered he was working on yard.

Metal tree stakes all in (thanks to teen) - 3 fruit trees alive from spring planting, 4 fruit trees coming mid November - holes dug, 7 more fruit trees coming mid March. In a few years, spring will look fantastic with the 14 dwarf fruit trees. 2 apricots, 3 peaches, 1 nectarine, 1 plumcot, 2 japanese plums, 5 mini dwarf apples. This will be my 3rd and final orchard. Pity no real room for my Shogetsu flowering cherry. But might sneak it in anyway.

Bunny fence and 2 gates chicken wire fix finished yesterday by teen helper. Looks OK to me - all that matters - after bunnies anyway not to win beauty pageant. Bad semi-dead shrub cut up and dug up by teen - I should start calling him the Hulk. All dumped dirt from digging holes now spread flat in patio area. Need to paint old gas light post. Ready to mulch and maybe plant later at ends. May move large containers of plants into sides of soon-to-be-patio area.

More cedar mulch and landscape fabric hauled yesterday. Lowes increased mulch prices a lot in last few weeks. Teen does not think I should cedar mulch the rest (about 1/3) of the back yard - might do anyway. He thinks it will be overdone. But I will not allow weeds again and will not mow. Cannot afford to replace concrete patio - broken and required to be removed before I bought house. OK - think I will use landscape fabric in the middle third near the house for a patio, put plants in ground (later) and plants in large containers on both sides, with some mulch all over so I can at least walk on the sides without getting muddy. Have to think about it. Hulk will help me Wednesday. Will have to get more bricks - nuts - wish I had done this when they were still on sale a few weeks ago - hate to find out what the new prices are.

After the protector bulbs are in, will start dreaming of getting more delphiniums again next year. I left room for them.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 24, 2012
3:02 PM

Post #9314324

wow!!! I'm gone for a couple of months and everyone is soooo busy, lol...when you are all done with your places I've got plenty of things here that need to be done...

I had to wait for the heat to subside here...this summer was just to warm for me to get much of anything done other than watering...Have been busy planting since mid Sept.. Put 180 perenns in, and pretty much filled in most of the gaps in my border. Leaving some room for annuals tho...and newly planted perenns to fill out and mature.

Started on my backyard...Oh wow, what a mess!!!! Lol, was nothing but feild grasses. Rototilled 3 times and raked and raked and raked...tried to get most of the perennial feild grass below the root line so will have less to contend with next spring, might be some weeds...maybe not, I can hope tho...

Been working on my plans, trying to figure out where I want all my goodies!!!! I started buying plants this spring, mail-order, Lowe's, Home Depot. Trees, shrubs and some clems., and a bunch of perenns and Iris that were traded for here at Dave's. Who knew back then I wouldn't even be starting the project til Sept... egads!!! Ground is raked now, still have some ground to be tilled up yet, but only if II have time... Dug holes yesterday for my lilacs which will outline the fences where the deer could come in. Stated planting today and yuck the breezes are kicking up a bit more dust than I like, (snow is moving in for the next few days, then I have to wait for the whole thing to dry a bit so I can get in and begin more planting. Gosh, I'm hoping for some MORE good weather, PLEASE!!!!! I have about 6-700 plants to get in before winter, of that there are almost 300 Iris. Thankfully everything is in pots. So if the weather holds I should be able to get most of it planted, and what I can't will get placed in tunneled rows for the winter.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

October 24, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9314488

I am done planting except for the 4 fruit trees coming soon! Cold weather coming again tomorrow.

Went out to start laying bricks on the edge of the so called patio area and found oak leaves over a foot deep next to house. I felt doomed. I have 2 giant oak trees in front yard, trimmed so few limbs are over house. Most of the leaves were very close to the house. The earlier mulched areas and planted areas had very few leaves. This is a good thing. Little work here.

I located the leaf blower/shredder. The leaves are fresh, they blew easily but they did not really shred - not brittle enough yet. I dumped one batch of 'shredded' leaves to the fence over the bunny fence part where the tomatoes were. Looks really good. I also think I can merely blow them to the sides of the patio area where I will someday plant more goodies. It will be beneficial to have leaves here. So, bunny fence can have leaves on it and look better. Who would have guessed? I need about 80 more bricks (back to old price) and do not yet know how much more cedar mulch (higher price but still cheap) is needed. I can use oak leaves as mulch for plants and paths near the fence. This turned out great. I am not doomed after all.

I will get shogetsu flowering cherry next spring when I can get it smaller and cheaper than now. I had it at 2 previous houses and really like it. I think I can insert it next to patio but away from low hanging wires/cables.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
4:51 AM

Post #9314793

Carol, your thread from a couple of days ago sound like we are looking over each other's shoulders. I got my Brent and Becky and Old House Garden daffodils in, as well as chionodoxa (white for under the crabapple, pink for over the daffs) and my "protector daffs" (WP Milner) are near the White Trumphinators and the turkestanicas. By the way, the OHG daffs were all huge double noses. They are the biggest I have ever seen.

And I put my Santa Rosas in - 3 alchemilla mollis and one miscanthus giganteous. They were small and I was contemplating waiting until spring - but it was 80 yesterday!

A dear DGer gave me at least 50 geranium Bevan's Variety and geranium robertianum. I have a wonderful shady walkway and most of them went there. The previous owner had mostly wild violets and they are OK, but this is better.

I love my peony foliage. It's tough to make myself cut them back.

My anemones won't quit. They have a ton of secondary buds and have been blooming for weeks.

The robertianums and Bevan's variety look lovely amongst the fallen leaves.

And the salvia turkestanica refuses to stop blooming although I keep cutting it back.

I marvel at your projects, Carol and Warrier. They just seem very taxing. Yes, I can do things in pieces but those pieces sound very heavy!

One nice thing is that several of my new roses are putting out lovely little flowers.
I had a bunch of small bulbs from previous years - daff offsets, for example, that are not mature size. Ornigothalem nutans. And decided to put them under my raspberry bushes.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9315110

I picked up a Prunus x yedoensis (yoshino) cherry to put in the backyard, now I just trying to figure out where to put it, the plan is still open enough to change things...any input would be appreciated. Do the roots become a problems, ie surface roots like a Maple? Do the roots seek water such as a poplar, (wellhead is close but will keep 25-30 ft away, but not sure where the pipe from the wellhead goes across to the house). Suckers? Is it fragrant, one place I read it says it is, true or not? (It's like the trees in D.C.).I would like to plant it close enought to the house to eventually give it some shade (southeast exposure).

And also any input on Cercise canadensis (redbud), picked up 3 at Home Depot for $10 each, they are about 5ft tall now, I do know they are a smaller tree from those I've seen around the Denver area. Just love the flowers in spring and the large leaves. Wanna place on the corner of the house to help hide the satalite dish on the corner of the house. Any personal experiences would be helpful. Seen any full grown specimens about. How big ht and wide? I've read the tags and looked up info on both but sometimes they don't tell you everything, sometimes they under size things from what I seen.

The other tree I need to place is Tilia cordata Greenspire (Little leaf Linden), I understand it's also fragrant, more pyramidal. Roots? Any other info. I might find useful?

I picked up 3 Acer ginella, just love this one, but the roots can be a problem. Can't plant anything below it as the roots are very fiborous. But it's the only maple that has fragrant flowers in the spring and lovely red fall color. So I know I need to find somewhere close to the house but not that close as I want the planting area. Lol. I will probably be able to plant a ground cover or reseeding annuals with these...

Another I have a question about is Hawthorne phaenopyrum (Washinton Hawthorne), says mature height is 25-30ft. I have only seen as a 7-8ft shrub and was fragrant from what I remember. But the liturature says the flowers stink. Any input? And does it get that big?

Ok, ya all put on your thinking caps, lol... and thanks for any info...Kathy

Pix: I got 12 of these, Spiarea Van Houtte, to line a "Spring Garden Room". They will line all spring bloomers, which will eventually lead to a "Rose Garden Room". I love having an open pallet in which to play...It's just placing trees that has me a bit befuddled, lol...

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 25, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9315158

Donna - do you grow the G. robertianum as a biennial? I'm wondering how moist the soil has to be for that one.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9315175

I adore prunus yedoensis. I had one. Yes, the roots tend to be surfacy, but don't let that stop you. It does not sucker, and mine was not far from the sprinkler system, and it never sought water.

Mine was on a "bad site", on the northwestern side of my house, completely exposed to the wind, since my house is across from an open field. The only thing you will have to do is prune limbs that grow too low on the tree.

Most of my pictures are at least 3 years old - some 5. But this is a tree you want!

Remember, it's the Tidak Basin tree in Washington. Dozens of them stand with no issues. This is a carefree tree.

This message was edited Oct 25, 2012 1:18 PM

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9315180

Kathy: I do not know about watering Yoshino, but Shogetsu died when planted too high up a slope, it needed to be at the bottom of my old sloped lot. I assume they are similar. I never noticed root problems, just extra growth from the rootstock that needed to be cut off. Put it where you can see it a lot or sit under it in spring. I love Shogetsu and got the rhododendrons mist maiden because they looked like her. Double pink fading to white. It is supposed to be fragrant too but I never noticed it.

Around KC MO, redbuds are understory small trees, seldom getting over 20 ft - but they can. I like the heart shaped leaves. I think the leaves turn yellow in fall.

At one house, I planted a lot of crabapples. Most got diseases (sellers do not list this problem - drat them). Some had huge messy fruit. At last house, I planted a disease resistance white crabapple tree with tiny red fruit (sugar tyme) - the fruit were not a problem, usually left on tree until birds truly hungry. If I had room I would get this again.

Donna: I am going to learn about all the plants you have that I do not know. I started listing them. I am definitely going to get lily silk road some day. And, I will try all the blue flowered plants I used to kill like cynoglossum - think this lot is better than the old one. You know a lot more plants than I do. I gave up trying to learn the latin names when I found out I was mispronouncing all of them - thanks to Victory Garden. ;)

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9315182

Hawthorne is used as a common windbreak tree not huge, but large old trees will , like maples, lose limbs, only they are not as large as most acer species except box elder maple , that it is closer in size. comparison unto..
I have a few Cercis canadensis lots of seed pods ,if you trim them to grow more upright ,they are neater, but a little messy with the pods ,that is why other cultivars without pods or red year round leaves are gaining popularity.
If you trim that to grow upright give it the distance of a large sofa say at least 8 feet ,it will touch the house in 4 or 5 years. Branches do not usually get large enough to become problematic .I have seen some very old Redbuds that had to be trimmed though.
These two mentioned I can answer a few questions about the others I know nothing about besides the Yoshino growing in DC and it is also grown for Bonsai .lol.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9315194

Careful careful careful with the redbud. I know several people who have them. They can be fabulous - and then inexplicably die.

As for the littleleaf linden, go for it! This is a young one (picture 4). We had to replace the other since the idiots who put in our landscapping for the subdivision put left it in a wire bag. Too bad, because it was wonderful. But lindens are bulletproof, and the littleleafs are very elegant. I find the American Basswood a little coarse.

If you had space, I'd tell you to get a baleyi linden (1,2 and 3. The littleleaf will have the same shape, but not as low to the ground. A more magnificent, easy tree never existed. (the bedraggled tree to the left in the second picture is not ours! Our neighbors id not take care of their trees.)

You will end limbing it up, but if you have room!

Lindens are my number one choice for a shade tree.

In my opinion, ditch the Hawthorne. I contemplated it. It is really nondescript. I don't understand the hosannas. And watch out for the thorns. And yes, they stink!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9315205

We had two crabapples. One was disease resistant, one not. I treated the one that was not with sulphur alternated with another product, and I felt it was worth the trouble. Here is our disease resistant crabapple, which was on our patio. It held all of its apples to the end of the season - then dropped them all. They were not messy or gross and I just swept them up. But look at at! Get a multistem!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack      

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
12:48 PM

Post #9315212

The other was not disease resistant, which did mean spraying it starting in April, every two weeks for a total of four times.

But wow!

It did not drop its berries. And I never found out what it was, since it was a replacement. But I preferred it to the other.

It all depends upon what you want and what you think you can do.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   Thumbnail by DonnaMack   

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
12:57 PM

Post #9315216

I have just started out with robertianum, but like several biennials in my garden I always have it because it seeds. I started parsley as a ground cover plant years ago. It is biennial, and not only do I have it every year but it spreads because some of it blooms and dies but produces seeds (first pic) so that the next year you have more. (Second pic). And more and more!

I actually dug up clumps from my old house and planted them. They all took! I am assuming robertianum will do the same. The person who gave me the plants also gave me a bag of the seeds to throw around the yard.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9315279

Yup, these trees will be exposed to spring winds. Part of the reason for planting somewhat close to the house but not close enough for any limbs to ever touch...I live downhill from most of my neighbors. Property next to me and above has no trees in line of sight uphill, the neighbor above them only has native ponderosa pines. See pix 1, pix 2 is same after rotil and raking. My problems are: wind tunnel in the early spring. Heavy rainfall and HEAVY (hail and water from above and behind me) runoff in July downpours, (my neighbors property has corral areas just behind and above me, so nothing to break the run of heavy rains). And is southeast exposure to the hot sun in the summer.

I have planned a row of common lilacas all along my fence lines, then another row of larger shrubs, (4) Viburnum plicatum Shasta and smaller rows of probably 3-4ft Spiareas in that corner area. 1. to keep deer out (I know is several years away but...) 2. to break the wind tunnel effect in spring 3. to break summer run off, which runs down my property all the way into my long border taking soil and flowers with it. I would love to do a French drain system but out of the question ($$$$). So I figured the best way to approach my dilemas would be with plant material. While waiting for my trees and shrubs to mature I will plant any and all flowers I can, annuals and perenns., mostly to break the water flow in July... and cover the ground. Pix4 is some of the hail and water damage.

Pix 3 is my flower garden after one of those July storms, it had washed away the top layer of freshly (3 weeks fresh) soil that had been rototilled and just awaiting new plantings of flowers. Am glad to say this area is fully planted now, so plants hold most of the soil...I'm trying to break up the raging flow before it ever gets to this area with the backyard plantings.

Pix 5 is the east side of my flower border early this spring, more mature plants have helped to hold the soil in place...and notice the downhill slope, the dirt road at the upper part of the pix is the bottom of the hill.

Hope all this makes sense.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 25, 2012
3:06 PM

Post #9315304

Think I'm joking about the winds here in Colorado...go to your home page and look the the history on the right side of your page...I remember when that happened to the forest...and the sad part of it was most of that wood is still lying there rotting. Couldn't be harvested because the terrain was to rugged to get to it...sad because soooo many homes could have been build with it...

I'm glad to say that the winds never reach that speed here where I am...whew!!!!!

Just took these pix of the backyard and my garden, gives you an idea of the downhill progression. Also in backyard pix can see placement of all my little pots of lilacs and second row of shrubs, so far, and why they are sitting there now, lol...

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

October 25, 2012
3:27 PM

Post #9315316

I remember the WIND from a trip to relative's house when I was a kid. I have never forgotten it. Scary.

Regarding the slope - think I would try to find a flat place for the cherry near the house that does not dry out fast. I do know that slopes really drain fast. I am not sure what experts would recommend.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 25, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9315322

As for me the northern part of the country ,the fastest cold winds were the Blizzard of 78 , and of course the warm tornado winds of spring or other seasons.We all have lived with the wind bringing delightful change of season or being devastating of terror..
Everything just has to be in place to stay, including us, when the wind witch comes howling Not always easy to keep us, the earth, or particularly our homes and gardens, in place, when that happens.

Luv the pics!! As for the snow, your glacial tundra ,and the glaciers in the mountains can keep that, I am really not in to the shoveling or making snowmen that goes with that lol

I use to really enjoy the grasslands and animal migrations ,"way out west" during travels of years ago.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9319641

got 22 lilacs in, 4 viburnum plicatum shasta doublefile and 3 prunus cistena in today, yeahhhhh. Only a gazillion more to go in, lol...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 29, 2012
7:22 PM

Post #9319645

22 lilacs! Wow! I had 8! How I loved them! How I miss them! You will never regret it!

By the way, someone gave me a heads up about robertianum on a private dmail, so no one would know how dumb I am (very sweet). They sent me this:

http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/601/

Out they came! I put in at least half a dozen. And although I put them in only about ten days ago, they were getting quite established - a bad sign!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2012
7:45 PM

Post #9319674

Oh my...I'm thinking I picked up that geranium at the botanic garden sale this spring, better think twice if I wanna plant it, especially when there are so many other wonderful geraniums to pick from. Glad I read this post!!!

Donna...where I grew up, we lived in a house overlooking a huge lake and recreational area, there were miles upon miles of lilacs planted as hedgerows for campers, the rows also included Elyganus angustifolia (russian olive), and the fragrance in the spring was absolutely amazing!!!! Too bad that Russian Olive has been outlawed in my state as a reseeding problem on the western side of my state, I'd love to have some just for the fragrance alone!!!! My lilacs were bought from the state forest program as whips, potted them on for a few years and now am getting them into the ground, think I bought almost a hundred and were about $.35 (cents) each...Needless to say I was thrilled!!!!!!! I'm lining the fences for approx. 1 acre, should be a wonderous sight in a few years, and heaven in the spring, when the fragrance fills the air, is there a magic pill to make them grow faster? lol...

This message was edited Oct 29, 2012 7:49 PM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 29, 2012
8:05 PM

Post #9319712

Opppps forgot to add pix. My main border also has lilacs. I lined it on the outsides and ends with lilacs to make a room, it will be several years til they are truely seen. This border is 45wide X 100ft long. Another reason for the lilacs is once they are tall enough, the deer won't jump the fence and get in to eat MY goodies (flowers)...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

October 29, 2012
8:20 PM

Post #9319724

That is a really fine garden ,has a formal look with the comfortable ,calming feel (as to the look) of a wild planting, kind of like a formal cottage garden. really nice!!!
As for me I am playing with my Daylily ideas and seeds, and general ideas for the places of the plantings. I have a couple of lilacs that came from the Arbor Day foundation,they are small still .
My garden plantings are in general disarray but that is not unheard of around these parts either.I will get it right some day?maybe?lol
Yes and I remember some old lilacs as street plantings ,they are mostly gone these days, kind of a shame ,but in 20 years or so maybe the next generation gets to enjoy the same.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

October 30, 2012
7:30 AM

Post #9320044

Donna - I think I had read that about robertianum at some point but wasn't sure.
juhur - yep - still remember the '78 storm. Wind chills here were horrible.
Only new plant I put in the ground this fall was Hosta 'Whee'. It was an impulse buy and the name made me smile.

lanakila

lanakila
Holly Springs, NC
(Zone 7b)

October 30, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9320061

Plant Delights Nursery is having a Fall Sale and so I'll be putting in 9 new plants from my Wish List over the weekend: 2 new hardy ginger lilies, a Greystone dianthus, a Caradonna salvia, a Snow Dome Chrysanthemum, a clumping variety of obedient plant, and a few echinacea that I don't already have. Tony Avent, the owner of PDN, wrote an essay that is included in the new book, "The Roots of My Obsession: Thirty Great Gardeners Reveal Why They Garden", by Thomas C. Cooper. The essays are only a few pages long, but learning how each of these folks came to gardening is very entertaining...and motivating!
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9320119

I really need a N step program. Freeze for last 3 nights and worn out from planting (and moving heavy supplies like bags of dirt and bricks). Put 20 bricks in new patio area - need 60 more. Still have 4 fruit trees coming next week but holes are dug. Still not done with the mulched patio area (helper got sick). Fallen oak leaves in back yard are shrinking - back looking better. I planted a lot of protector daffodils but needed many more - will wait til next fall. I do have room for more plants. Many more plants.

Sooooo, started ordering seeds for winter sowing from Swallowtail (in mail), Jung, and Baker Creek Heirloom. Primarily for tomato, sweet pepper, and fancy looseleaf red lettuce. Also to get alchemilla, much loved blue flowers (anchusa - 2 types, delphiniums - 4 types, short eryngium), short green and tall fragrant nicotiana, 2 columbines (blue and yellow), peachy verbena, and white filler flowers (shastas, petunia, vinca, stock, snapdragon). I have had all these flowering plants before. Wanted Sungold tomato but could not find plants this year- wanted Kellogs Breakfast tomato but never found a plant.

Found very cheap supplies at Dollar Tree to make mini greenhouses - aluminum baking pans with clear lids, and smaller styrofoam cups. I think I have bunny protection in the fence lower addition but will find out later. I see dratted squirrels digging in my new beds - think I will sprinkle freshly ground black pepper on the tops of the mini greenhouses and surround them with the large containers (to try to keep the lids on from the rodents). In any case, will not use all the seeds. Worth a try.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2012
10:36 AM

Post #9320232

Last weekend I planted the 5 new peonies from peonies.net- 1/2 off, and good sized roots with lots of eyes. What a bargain! I also moved all my little Platycodons that I grew from seed this spring. Some were in the ground, some in pots, 7 in all. I had them mis-marked, thinking they were short annuals I had them at the edge of a border. Then, much to my surprise, there were a few flowers on dwarf plants! They are Hakone Blue, lovely double flowers. Can't wait to see what they do next year.

I have a lot more moving and re-arranging to do, but it's doubtful that we'll be going to CT this weekend as Sandy knocked out the power in most of the state. By the time we get up there again it will be really too late (as opposed to now, which is too late, but maybe it will still be ok!). So that means more work for the spring... Sigh...
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9320246

Bravo on your platys. I started seeds that I did not attend to, and then started a second set of three colors and the yield is so high that I have as many as 4 plants in a one inch cell! I guess I have a choice of clipping some of them or waiting until they have true taproots before separating them. The last time I succesfully grew platys was in 2000, when I got no blue ones but got lots of white and pink. Subsequent batches were dug up by animals or installed too soon.

Here are my seedlings. Any thoughts?

And here are my "old platys" at the house I sold.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

October 30, 2012
11:29 AM

Post #9320283

Ooooh, I love the pink, such a soft color! Is that one plant, or more?

Your little seedlings are so cute! Can you tease them apart? How many do you want to end up with? Will you grow them indoors through the winter?

Not quite 20 questions... Lol!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

October 30, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9320300

It was multiple plants. I originally got 11 white and seven pink and put some of the pink in the front of the house. I think there are three pink ones there - actually perlemutter - mother of pearl.

I want to end up with as many as I can get. I suspect that if I let them form taproots (they look like little carrots) I will have more success. The ones I teased out of the ground at the original site had them, and they survived. The ones without taproots keeled.

Can one have too many platycodons? I don't think so!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9321641

Donna, what I would do if they were mine, I'm just sayin IF...I would grow them on a bit further. First set of leaves are not true, so after the first set of leaves or second, I would begin to pinch the plants. Put under stronger lights, and close, within a few inches. Personally , I use shop lights, Home Depot (under $12 for the unit and $2-6 for lights, depending on what you get, 1 warm and 1 cool is best but have gone with the $2 bulbs for both, next figure out a way to hang them. See pix, not suggesting you buid one but just an idea, I use cheap chain. Could get some 1x1 or 1x2, cut to 4ft lengths and build a table top system, ie rectangle, hang chain and lights. Chain allows you to adjust light height as they grow, helps with legginess. I grow many, many plants in each cell or pot and then divide into single cells, sometimes up to 50 (pix 3)

Next...after they put on a bit more heft, you can let the soil dry a bit (if too wet it's easy to break them, pop out of the cell and divide and repot into seperate cells or 11/2" pots, I always handle by the top set of leaves, gently...From these I grew these (pix 4,5.). I just Love growing babies...What am I gonna do when I fill my gardens...?

I am sooo sorry...Lol...I meant to say how LOVELY your platys are, just scrumpious!!!!!!! I must say that is one thing I don't have in this garden yet, ooops, better do someting about that!!! But isn't soooo rewarding to see them fully matured! The plant that I am truely amazed by is Nicotiana sylvestris...Just a spec of a seed and by the end of the summer is 5ftx4ft...and smells heavenly..Kath

This message was edited Oct 31, 2012 9:32 PM

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

October 31, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9321663

Last night I got on the iPad in the middle of the night, as I often do when I wake up until I get sleepy again, and ordered the pink platy seeds from Diane's, just have to have them. Last year I had great luck with her blue ones, which I started in Feb under lights. I use T-5's with daylight bulbs, they work really well. Maybe this year I'll start even earlier, to get bigger plants by spring.

Of course while I was at it I ordered a few more things, including wild white petunia. Does anyone have experience with it? I thought it looked pretty cool...

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
2:37 AM

Post #9321685

Those insomnia hours can be expensive Pam.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2012
4:08 AM

Post #9321709

Hi Warrior!

Thank you for all of the wonderful information. The setup that you describe is almost exactly what I had at the house I sold in September. I had a nice dark basement and two sets of shop lights on chains with a timer. I used to produce hundreds of plants, including my previous platys, in the manner you suggest.

My problem is that the new house has a full basement and all of it is lighted. I cannot make it dark! And shop lights have been embedded in the ceiling and cannot be lowered. I have therefore been forced to improvise by using the patio, which was actually warm enough for germination. So I am actually adjusting the heat by using the natural heat there (adjusting the windows). It is far less precise and the yields are lower, but until I can find a way to set up shop lights it will have to do.

I am going to take your advice and let them grow more.

This is what I used to have! Plus pots on retaining walls and all kinds of hardscaping. The pots on the stairs were the excess. This is the advantage of full sun, shop lights, APS kits from Gardener's Supply, and starting in January.

I'll find a way.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012

Post #9321717

Nice pix.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 1, 2012
6:25 AM

Post #9321793

I'm not sure whether it was impulse or insomnia, but I just gave in to an impulse and bought Rose Constance Spry for the parkway of my new house. I had resisted this, and then I realized that the rose is slipping from commerce. Pickering discontinued this. They have been discontinuing roses for a couple of years because, they explained, there is not enough demand for them, even those they love. They announce that roses are in their last season, but somehow it escaped me that CS was one of them. I can only get it from Antique Rose Emporium by ordering three roses (have you seen their shipping costs?), Chamblees does not have it (love their one gallons). Heirloom does, but their roses are very small - I got some last summer, and while it's wonderful to have them, it is going to be a while before they put on any size.

So I panicked - and added it to my Roses Unlimited order. Which was already three roses. Rose du Rescht, Tess of the D'Urbervilles, and Zephirine Drouhin, all from my old yard. NUTS! But the thought of not having this great rose, which became enormous after only three years from a Pickering bareroot, was just too much.

Here is a three year old Constance Spry. In 2011

Pic 1, against my neighbor's house, with a Zephirine Drouhin to the right twice its age.

Pic 2, displaying its lovely cascading habit (many grow it as a climber.

Pic 3, 4 and heaven help me, the flowers.

Pic 5, here she is as a one year old plant, in 2009.

It only blooms once, but for six weeks, the flowers are five inches, and the scent is fantastic. Afterwards, you deadhead it, and it then requires no care, just looking like a handsome shrub. It's so big that the parkway is the only place I can put it.

I really need to stop!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 1, 2012
9:14 PM

Post #9322445

Wow, just love the purple petunias and the Heliotrope, yum they smell soooooo good!!!! and just LOVE your roses...

Constance is a beauty. Was going to get Z.D. for it fragrance , lack of thorns and ability to take part shade, was thinking on the southeast side of the house as a climber. Some others I will be planting in the next few days are: White Iceberg (2), Wichuriana (1), Theresa Bugnet (2), Robinhood (11), Double Pink Knockout (3), Brilliant Pink Iceberg (12), in the next few days...egads!

Today I put in: Cercise canadensis (1), Cornus Kousa (1), Betula nigra var. jacquemontii (1clump), Prunus glandulosa (Flowering Almond) (3), Caryopteris (3), Spiarea Anthony Waterer (5), and ran out of daylight so only got 1 red peony in...Whew, I should sleep like a rock tonight, lol...

Linum perenne (pix), no it's not in bloom, ya all have to put up with previous pix til spring...lol.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
10:38 PM

Post #9322483

I just had to reply with one of my Grandma stories, she had a flowering almond when I was high school(not to tell, not to tell) I loved the scent of that in bloom, it never grew large and it was showy for it's size. it came as one of those wholesale to the public root starts back when those had merit ,you know what i'm talking about ,nudge nudge.
She was always delighted by that also,(liked to say how pretty the shrub was at the start of every summer) well I was sent away one day and then returned (c'mon you all know, we have a way doing that) IT was not there,I asked,Where's the flowering shrub? she replied,I don't know,I guess it died.
IT was in such a nonchalant and regular voice all I could think at the moment was huh?, what? Took me by surprise to say..!
Well how is that for anticlimactic? lol

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 1, 2012
10:47 PM

Post #9322484

I forgot really pretty pics all, just gorgeous!!!
wow is that story just awful ! ^_^
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 2, 2012
5:58 AM

Post #9322595

Warrior you are unbelievable. I'd be in traction if I did all of that in THREE days. What an amazing garden you are developing.

Zeph is on the northeast side of my house. It is supposedly a zone 6 rose, but a St. Louis based rosarian said, nah, put it in. Do get it - you will never regret it, although it takes three years to show you what it can do. It spends the first two pumping out tons of foliage, and people wonder what is wrong with it. And my flowers are more double than many photos show.

You can also grow it as a shrub. The branches grow long and then fall over, as though you pegged it. It does need to be evenly watered or it gets blackspot (hence the soaker hose at the base to accommodate 15 minutes a week) but it blooms like crazy any way, through complete neglect and blackspot. And it can bloom into December.

I'm installing a new one in semishade in the spring. That's supposed to work. If not, it's joining Constance Spry on the parkway..

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 2, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9323262

Just stunning Donna, will definately look for it next spring, I know of atleast 2 nurseries in my area that sell it...but it will be pricey...hmmm...maybe I should just get it bareroot from J&P.

Lol..juhur...I can't remember where I first came into contact with it (childhood somewhere, just loved the little rosebuds), but did grow it at a previous house and loved it, but I don't remember it having fragrance, if it does I'd be thrilled. Most of the shrubs I will be or am planting have all been favorites from childhood memories. I grew up in a town that had a mailorder catalog and retail outlet, Gurney's Seed and Nursery. They have long since been sold and moved from my hometown, but it sure did encourage diversity out in the boonies of small farm town in South Dakota, and I will always be thankful for their influence in my life!! Years later it was PBS and their gardening shows after I had bought my first home. That's how I got the Cottage Garden influences. Then came all the garden books (English mostly), you know the coffee table type books. I gotta say one of my all time favorites is the peony tho and will be planting more than 30, (walmart specials and years til they put on a good show, like Donna's above), how bad is that. I wish I had more time and energy yet this season to get my planting done...Six days to do as much as I can...weather moving in next weekend and sitting the gkids over the weekend also, but sure would love another week of nice temps after that...PLEASE!!!!!!

Sure hope I have time to get these in tooooo. Kathy, and thanks for the feedback, it helps encourage me to get with it and accomplish some of my late season tasks. Later...

Yup, Donna was tired (good nights sleep tho) and sorta took the day off, a bit cool here and a breeeeeze, don't think it made it to 50*. Did place a few plants at their planting spot and dug a few holes, but I'm a wuss..gave me a chance to take it easy for 1 day as I'll be out tomorrow, gungho!!!! Tomorrow 60s and sunshine, yeah...!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 2, 2012
9:11 PM

Post #9323303

LATER 60's and through the 70 GSC was my store of choice Yankton S.D. their logo displayed back then,, these days Greendale Indiana is where they are as bought by Gardens Alive. I have some old red German garlic I need to get planted and some rhododendrons from them just planted.
They ship slow ,but their material is really good as far I care. Alright so I am a loyalist lol who can say?
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 3, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9323960

Pfg:
You asked about the white petunias. If I remember correctly, I planted this petunia several years ago--probably three or four. Seeds germinated fine, planted in the garden--did fine, lasted through the summer--fine. However, over all, I was a little disappointed in them. I was hoping they would re-seed-they didn't. I felt these petunias were no better than a six pack I could buy for less than two bucks. They were not very fragrant either. Hate to tell you this. Maybe these will be different than the ones I had.
I noticed Select Seeds has a heirloom petunia mix that is suppose to be fragrant. The petunias you get in the box stores aren't fragrant anymore. I may try this one just because I miss the fragrance petunias used to have.

I also like to grow heliotrope for the fragrance.

I don't usually grow too many annuals. The ones I do grow are because they either cost too much: (3.50 to 4.50 ea!) or you can't get them anymore. Cost too much: Heliotrope, Angelonia (which I will try this year) or hard to find: Tall snaps and fragrant petunias. I need to get my seed order started.

Hubby asked me to not grow so many plants from seed this year. He said surely our gardens were filling up with flowers!! He's right. I am really trying to control the winter sowing!

Jude the Obscure rose is still pumping out beautiful, fragrant roses! Temps getting in the low to mid 30's at night.

I've been putting mulch down--again. I put down four bags and bought ten more at 1.13/cu. ft. I also dug up about 8 small lantanas to winter over in the downstairs garage. I put bricks around the big lantanas to give them a little warmth through the winter. They are perennial to zone 7. I am one zone short do you think -anyone- they will winter over with the bricks? Any other advice?

Pictures are all so pretty.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9324413

When you plant perennials late in the fall, do you fertilize, and if so, what do you use? Do you use one of those (expensive) fertilizers that focus on root development?
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9324478

Fruit trees coming this week - maybe. Enough with the digging. I read up on the winter sowing thingie - plant in batches, starting mid January - OK. Sounds good to me. Missed getting one pepper seed packet I really wanted - backordered. Got ticked off and went on line to search for possible replacement. Found more sales.

I really wanted the old plain leaved blue flowered brunnera that no company seemed to want to sell. Found it at Vermontwildflowerfarm.com with about a 1/2 price spring preorder sale. Found other plants I wanted, such as old fashioned dicentra, asiatic lily landini, penstemon elfin pink, virginia bluebells, coreopsis moonbeam, siberian iris strawberry fair (new to me). Spring shipment, free shipping if over $39.00. Cost me 39.18. Original prices are really high. Hah!

A few months ago, 3 black landinis I planted turned out to be orange tiger lilies. Called company several times - wrote Watchdog and got a reply - sent me code for replacement but have to pay shipping - replacement code did not work - so decided to get lily from any place other than this bankrupted company. I will pay much more attention to the Watchdog.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 4, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9324588

Hi Happ,

If you fertilize at all in the fall you either want to use something that is activated by warmth in the spring (not now), or you want to use an extremely low nitrogen but higher phosphorus (the middle number) which helps root growth and fairly low potassium (promoted cell function and absorbsion of trace elements). I personally use Osmocote (which won't activate until it hits 70 degrees, which is late spring here) and supertriple phosphate in the fall. So basically I am putting down, for the use of the plant now, phosphate only.

I have heard arguments for using 0-20-0, and I can see why. You definitely don't want to use any nitrogen level that will push the babies into growth n0ow.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2012
3:59 PM

Post #9324595

Wow, juhur, you actually know about Gurney's, amazing...was one of my first jobs at age 16...lol. I filled seed orders for one season in the spring...oh my that was many moons ago...What was truely a delight was to drive by all the feilds they used to grow their stock. I remember they had a feild (acres and acres)of gladiolas, they would cut them and sell them at their store for .10 a stalk...LOL.

Got more planted in the last few days: 4 Viburnum opulus (snowball), 5 Lonicera tatarica, 11 Rose Dbl. Pink Iceberg, 4 Weigela rosea.

Birder...lol, have you thought about taking more of his lawn to enlarge your garden for all those newly aquirred plants? Just don't tell him...lol... And yes I've noticed that about the petunias too. It's all the breeding they have been doing to them...If you want the fragrant ones..yup start the old fashioned type from seed. Select Seeds is great, just got some seed from them a month ago, am thinking they were half priced...A couple you might want to try if you like fragrance is Zaulizianska capensis and Reseda odderata (reseeds), both can be sown insitu and wonderfully fragrant...

Pix is Reseda, (Napolean's Josephine just loved these), sorry not the best pix, lol, new phone (camera).

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
4:36 PM

Post #9324621

wwk; that sounds like a lot of planting and digging,I'm still way behind on mine but then I always am. Who knows you may of been filling my garden seed orders back when, only problem there is we are not going to tell as age, at least I am not going to,,lol
Sounds like we like to shop similar places, last month I got red runner beans a couple of types of Centaurea and some pow wow Echinacea that are already growing ,That was late to plant but they are growing nicely, some of them take anything and I really like plants like that. (It is enjoyable when you do not have to watch a plant like hatching eggs or something)lol
For soil control and development I like Daylily ( Hemerocallis) ,and several to move and new ones to establish before freeze sets for winter. Contrary to some info they don't really like he blazing summer sun here though.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 4, 2012
4:51 PM

Post #9324632

Thanks, DonnaMack (as always). So maybe I'll just put down the phosphate. I know I can spend a lot on plants, but the price of Osmocote scares me!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 4, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9324655

Lol...I'll use that Jack Benny saying, I'm 39...

What centaureas did you get? Just love them, so far I have: C. montana (blue), C. montna 'Amethyst in White', both reseed and the white more so.
C. phygria in purple and yellow, both are light reseeders and
C. machrocephala (the biggest of all of them), here shown with an unopened Veronica (common name is hardhead, and blooms mid summer ( the others bloom all season), very light reseeding.
And I got a new one last year but didn't bloom yet, it's C. montana 'Blackie' 'spose to be a dark purple

The montanas can be used as indicator plants...if they start to droop it's time to water...read that somewhere...
If you ever find the pink montana I want seed...lol, that or one of these days I will have to order the seed from England.

Egads...lol.. don't even get me going on perenns that need to get into the ground...I have a bunch, yikes!!!!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 4, 2012
6:05 PM

Post #9324697

C scabiosa, C,americana, Should not be hard to grow ,but sometimes ,hey what can you say!!lol I had Americana growing a few years ago, they use to grow wild in some places near these parts, but that doesn't correlate to modern information either.

This is what happens when I am working on vegies instead of flowers!!lol
Now ya know why I love your garden pics I am all wanna be with flower thing.

Thumbnail by juhur7

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2012
3:05 AM

Post #9324984

I just ordered Petunia Axillaris, Wild Petunia, from Diane's Seeds. yours anyone have experience with it? It looked interesting, maybe it will do a better job of filling in.

Does anyone sell the dianthus loveliness seeds isolated by color? Or do you have some, Kathy?

I grew the centaurea Black Ball last year and was disappointed. I think it would look better massed, the way you plant, but it doesn't fit into my scheme. The leftover seeds are going in the robin, btw.

I have a friend who is a landscape designer. We don't talk garden very often, she says being a pro took the fun out of gardening for her, it's just work, so I don't impose... But I do know she only uses Plantone (Hollytone for acid lovers) for fertilizer. Before planting a new bed she amends the soil with peat and Plantone, way more than recommended, then broadcasts it spring and fall. Her gardens look wonderful and lush. I've started doing that here. Last fall I dumped a lot on one bed when everything else was finished, and this summer that bed was amazing. This fall I plan to do it on all the beds once I finish moving things around, which is right about now. Plantone takes a few months to break down, so it's perfect for this time of year. In the spring I did the rest of the beds but didn't get the same effect, it should kick in next year.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 5, 2012
5:11 AM

Post #9325054

Thanks, PFG. I think I have some Plantone in the garage I should use up anyway! But I would have assumed it had too much Nitrogen for this time of year.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 5, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9325648

Pfg...I just got some pink from Select Seeds today, (#032 for $1.67, they are on sale...or ..d-mail coming).

I just got my order today and were 40-50% off. I had forgotten how much I ordered, ooops. LOL.
White and Apricot Foxglove, Asperula (f), 2 varieties of Polygonum (kiss me over the garden gate), Mignonette or Reseda (f), Zaluzianskya (f), 2 different Cynoglosums, Poppy berries and cream, Flax bright eyes, pink Lavatera, Viscaria, and Centaurea imperialis (think is F also)...(f)=fragrant.

Planted today: 1 Rose dbl pink Iceberg (all in now), 6 Weigela (all in now), 2 Buddleia Black Night, and 1 Large... tree...Tilia cordata Little Leaf Linden. It was a B&B containerized from Home Depot...If any of you are planting trees from any of the box stores now or in the future...Please!!!!! remember, find the first or most upper root on the root ball... and don't plant any deeper than 1-2" at the most above that (soil line)... if not you could loose your tree. I had to clean off several inches (3-4), of soil from the rootball, staighten out the roots and put them downward and not wrapped arond the tree... I hope it loves it's new home and all my TLC...

pix 1: a newbie this year was Penstemon palmerii (will top out at 4-6ft in height), the only fragrant penstemon...geeze, I forgot to smell it...duh!! Ok, next year.
pix 2: here's some jj's (which reseed for me and on the right is the Dianthus X Loveliness
pix 3..this is a lovely little Gentain (can't remember which one sorry and it's dark and scarey out there...), tho I did get two new varieties this year, still need to get planted.
pix 4: Asperula orientalis, just started blooming as the season was ending so no seed ( atleast I don't think so)
pix 5: foreground...Lythrum Morden Pink (not available in commerce any more...it's relatives are reseeding thugs but this one is sterile and is 48+",), in the background is a shrub rose and white daisy Becky

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 5, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9325690

Sigh ^_^

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 7, 2012
8:25 PM

Post #9327532

Whew...2 more days of planting...Put in 11 Red Robin shrub roses, 2 Cercise canadensis (redbud), another Cornus Kousa which is Pink flowered, a Philadelphus (mock orange), 2 white Iceberg Roses, 1 tree Peony Feng Dan Bat (white), 3 Salix integra (Dapple Willow), and a Weigela Alexandra 'Wine and Roses. Gosh my backyard should smell GOOOOD next year...
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

November 8, 2012
2:53 PM

Post #9328168

Wow!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
4:40 PM

Post #9328280

I'd be in traction. You are amazing.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 8, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9328292

Wonder Woman. I am in awe.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 9, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9329295

Kathy, you make me tired! I have grown the Zaluzianisk capensis 'Midnight Candy'. I WS it. I was disappointed in it. It did not smell that fragrant, and I thought the flowers were quite insignificant. It might have been where I had them planted. I have looked at the Resedda oddorata. From what I recall, it's not a very "pretty" plant but supposedly makes up for it by its fragrance. Is it really quite fragrant? I assume you grew it from seed as I don't ever see it in any garden centers. Does it reseed aggressively?

I used to grow several flowers for fragrance. It was a trait high on my list of priorities before I chose to grow a plant. Presently, I don't keep fragrance as a high priority. For me, it seems I had to get down on the ground and stick my nose in it before I could actually enjoy the fragrance. I am not an acrobat! Flowers I do grow for fragrance are Nicotania, purple petunias, Lavender and Heliotrope.
The Nicotania gently re-seeds around the mother plants and sways gracefully in the breeze. I have had helioptrope re-seed but it is rare.

Donna: My Jude the Obscure is still pumping out flowers--pleasant fragrance-so pretty. I guess I have switched to shrubs to get my fix for fragrance! You can stick your nose in them w/o getting on the ground!

I still have a couple of plants to get in the ground: A Pink Coneflower and a Foxglove. I wrenched my knee last week pulling weeds, moving plants, and mulching; so gardening has been put on hold. Tomorrow, I may "sit" and work on thrashing seeds. It's suppose to get to 70 tomorrow. I sure wish I was able to get outside and do some physical gardening.

My gardens are pretty full. I am going to focus on landscaping bones more this next year: brick borders and other activities.

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 9, 2012
11:47 PM

Post #9329432

Bought more daffodils at Lowes - dwarf tete a tete and double yellow Dick Wilden - never heard of it - will plant in next 2 days.

Long time ago, I also planted phlox midnight candy (had to stick nose in it but was nice) and reseda mignonette (do not remember exactly but was not thrilled). I also bought some plants for fragrance but again was not thrilled - want plants that one can smell easily. Heliotrope was ok but again had to stick nose in it. I planted the tall white annual nicotiana Only the Lonely several times - again, did not smell the fragrance at night - but I like the looks. I bought plants this year (drought got them early) and will winter sow soon.

At even older house I planted lots of lilies for fragrance. Mistake. The trumpet lilies were so fragrant I could not stand to stay outside. The fragrance really, really carries and is overpowering. I think I have one oriental that survived but do not know how it smells yet - plan to stick mainly with asiatic that have no smell at all.

I did have and still have 2 extremely fragrant tall, old, but not very pretty purple german irises that one can smell from many feet away. I put several sections of each in the back yard here. I kept trying to get more types but every time I ordered an iris for fragrance I am disappointed. I love these 2 - one is Sweet Lena - old collected one, other - who knows. I will keep trying to get really old ones. They smell like grapes with perfume added. The 2 are different - one is more perfumey.

I did have viburnum carlesii (sold out this year) that smells like cloves from a distance and put 2 types of viburnums in here (burkwoodii and juddii) - assume they also smell like cloves or carnations. I replaced a once blooming alba rose - Felicite Parmentier - that I had to get from Canada - other companies were sold out. This rose also sends out fragrance quite a distance. The new English roses Evelyn and Jude the Obscure are huge, blooming, but did not send out their fragrance. The one mock orange smells good but not from a distance - yet.

Moved 15 tomato stakes to back area of fence so they can get watered easier. Will put tall flowering plants on one side of fence next spring. Stark is sending 4 fruit trees and should be here tomorrow - finally! The holes are dug. Replacement peach, nectarine, apricot, plumcot. Just got the notice tonight and they stated it would be here in morning. Great - lovely weather today and tomorrow then cold and rain again Sunday when my teen helper can come over - hope he can do the oak leaves - blow and/or shred - if not raining. Odd that the leaves stay in the flower beds but not much on the mulches. Painted an old gas lamp post, finished laying bricks again (yeah, sure), and now have 632 of them in. Lot easier when working on the flat and hauling them with a wheel barrow. Laid out a small brick area by lamp post for the Shogetsu flowering cherry tree I may get in spring. Will lay landscape fabric tomorrow, then cedar mulch for my so called cheap patio. Almost done until January when I will start winter sowing in batches. Winter sowed at previous house using baggies but got turned in to city by idiot neighbor for having 'trash' in back yard. This neighborhood is not as ritzy and no one had turned me in yet for the work in progress. I insisted on getting a house without HOA so I could garden my way.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
5:56 AM

Post #9329503

Ah, trumpet lilies! Yes, they are wonderful, but you have to space them. And they need, perhaps to be spaced for type. The same for Orientals. Too many, too close together, especially a mix of certain kinds, is gross. Is it just me? Stargazer turns my stomach. Especially indoors. It is very popular, and people kept asking if I grew it. I did. I was happy when it died.

I read that the Judd viburnum is a cross between v. carlesi and v. bitchiuense. Michael Dirr says that it has the best features of both parents. He thinks that it is actually superior to carlesi (as a former owner, hard to imagine) that some say is less fragrant but he can't tell the difference. So my dear, congratulations. I have found a place in my new yard where I may be able to put one.

I also read that burkwood is a carlesi cross. What fragrance you will have!

I have been much less ambitious than you. I found some reasonably prices camassia semiplena (a really cool camassia) at White Flower Farm. Years ago I paid $25 for five of them. Six were on sale for a third of that price, so I grabbed them. They were starting to sprout, so I put them in under a cherry tree (edible!) in the back of the house. All that is now left are minor bulbs, such as allium oreophyllum, which, thank goodness, is a close to surface bulb.

Mary Pavie, Sea Foam and Glamis Castle are blooming like mad. I have a couple of new Austins that are in major bud. Since it is going up to the 60's for a day or two they may perform for me.

And yes, I moved to a neighborhood with no HOA AND no watering restrictions - because no one waters! I soaker hosed my trees and noticed that they held their leaves and stayed green long after all the other trees in the neighborhood dropped their leaves. Cool!

For nicotiana scent, you might try good old nicotiana alata. My neighbors in my old yard would stop in their tracks in the evenings and ask what the wonderful scent was. I have been throwing the seeds around my yard in order to reestablish it.
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9329587

I'm enjoying the talk about scents.

For lilies I love the LA ones, the cross between the Longiflorum and Asiatic types. They are LIGHTLY but lovely scented. We have large acreage, so the trumpets and the orientals are not too bad in the gardens, but not for the house, whew!

With the help of DGer GE (Jo), I've recently become re enamored with phlox. We were running out of plants by August since we are now getting earlier springs, and phlox is a great plant for late summer. Here's a website that has some that are extremely fragrant.

http://perennialpleasures.net/all-about-phlox

Nicotiana elata is a great idea, Donna! That would last into late summer, also. Definitely have to do some next year.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9329920

birder...ref. the Zaluzianskya c., yes it was fragrant and had bunches or flowers but I remember it was shorter...and the resedia, ya not the prettiest of all flowers...but it was soo fragrant and it does reseed. My first batch of both plants were started under lights inside in winter, potted on (6 packs), then out in the spring. Don't remember the Z. coming back from seed, but the migionette did...it was starting to make a patch but then I moved...that was about 10 years ago (ish), and I'm just now getting around to adding it again...Was hoping for it to reseed (the Resedia but the deer munched it as the seed was developing and ripening...so not sure if any got to the ground but did send for more and just recieved from Select Seed a week ago...it was on sale at 40-50% off. No, not that aggressive, but could be if you let it go for a gazillion years...lol, would be easy to pull tho.

carol...hate to say it but the orientals are stronger in fragrance than the trumpets...ooops! If you don't mind a tall plant try Nicotiana sylvestris, they are wonderfully fragrant in the evening...and the only fragrant nicotiana are USUALLY from seed...Most nurseries don't care if they sell frag. or not. Look into N. sandersae,24-30", reseeds year to year (again Select Seeds or T&M.com). And gosh if you find that you still have some of those trumpets yet, send to me...lol...what would you like in return...lol.
The Iris you are referring to is Iris palida I believe (grapes), I have it, it's a light purple and I just love it, (came from my sister who has since passed and I will cherish it forever), can do a trade in the spring...remember to contact me... (I have a hundred or so of various Iris and many, many are fragrant and different colors).The other is Iris palida Zebra or something like that... (stripe is yellowgreen/green and another is whitegreen/green, both also have the same flower and that grape fragrance...tho there are others also...Oh you lucky...V. carlesii, burkwoodii and juddii...are ALLLLLLL on my most cherished want list. I just love those..every year I go to the Denver Botanic Gardens just to smell...

The thing about fragrance though...it is subjective, also some factors such as climate, soil, heat, zone all are factors in how fragrant things are,how sweet or sour the soil is )(PH), can play into it.. Here in my semi arid zone 5-6, in Colorado...fragrance may not carry as much as in some humid areas. Also my evenings in the summer cool quickly after sunset...over night lows in mid summer only range 55-65* (6800ft). Some great prices can be gotten at Gilbertwild.com, and B&Dlillies.com. I've gotten from both and was PLEASED. (B&D breeds them too so they always have new ones..)

Polly...yes the newer varieties of lilies just don't seem to be as strong as the Orientals or the Trumpets, although they are crosses with both and the non fragrant asiatics usually.. If you're looking for a spring phlox with great fragrance look into P. divaricata types, only 18", but yummmmm!

Wonderwoman LOL...Good thing most were only in 1 galllons, only a few(few...what am I thinking ...was more like 35-40) were in 5's or larger...And with the ground having been rototilled first it wasn't as hard as you all think, I went 12" deep, it is only the 5's and larger that got me tired...those roses were yuchy to dig...I didn't get as deep as the 5 gallon pots tilling...don't think anything has been that deep before...remember this was just a rural feild... I was a good girl and ammended every planting hole with peatmoss..more in the acid lovers and several globs of those water absorbing crystals for each plant., now I need to get things deeply watered. Actually, I think I'm almost done for the season, I'll see, if I can get more perenns in... but most of the shrubs I wanted to plant in are now, total to today is 108. I'm just not ready to start a whole new area this late in the season. Groppleing here today...was trying to snow but just not quite there yet. Kathy.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 6:28 PM

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 10, 2012
6:09 PM

Post #9329958

Fragrance is subjective I guess, the trumpets are much more fragrant to me than the orientals. And some of the newer crosses like the OTs are even more so. But the LAs are crossed with only longiflorum (Easter lily) and asiatic and are much more subdued. My granddaughter has a cutting garden, and those are her favorite.

It seems in spring I have plenty of fragrant things, and that's why I like the phlox paniculata so, it's later in the season.

This message was edited Nov 10, 2012 9:10 PM
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 10, 2012
7:02 PM

Post #9330013

Stark delivered the 4 fruit trees this morning - 1 day shipment - wow! I soaked them then planted them in case we could not do it tomorrow. They look healthy. May add some kind of root stimulator - they recommend theirs but too late. This place has a small but sunny back yard but it is really starting to look great (to me). When spring comes - flowering trees really make a difference. I have tons of fancy daffodils, mainly the so called pink ones. Then comes the iris, roses, and then daylilies. I have no peonies yet - want only one I had before - Vivid Rose, a double pink.

Might look at old fashioned roses for fence area - used to have several - most are once blooming but smell really good. Liked repeat bourbon Mme Isaac Pereire - might be good for fence with trellis. For fragrance, almost got Sharifa Asma but it was out of stock. It is still on my list.

Nicotiana sylvestris Only the Lonely is what I had as plants and will winter sow. It is supposed to be the most fragrant. I just have not caught it when it was.

Landscape fabric now down for patio area. 1/2 the cedar mulch bags needed now on fabric ready to be opened. Teen helper will be over tomorrow - if it rains we can still get the rest of the cedar mulch. Hope we have some hours before the predicted rain so those oak leaves from 2 giant trees can get shredded. Will plant the 2 new daffodils to get them off my to-do list. Spotted places on back door threshold that need caulking and touch up paint - it never ends. To-do list is getting much smaller - hard to believe. I have been at this since June. I now think I will be ready for winter. (Then I will touch up the inside of the house where it is needed.)

The oriental lily is now on probation. I did not know they were worse than trumpets. It is good I have tried so many different plants in the past so I can narrow this garden down. Many of you on this thread have much, much bigger gardens than me - I could not handle all you have done. This lot is only 0.2 acre. But that is enough. I almost got a place that was 3/4 acre and would have to mow a lot. I will not mow if there is any roundup left in the universe. Just kidding - kinda. Front yard now in clover, back yard in mulch and beds. I win.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 10, 2012
8:17 PM

Post #9330042

lol carol...good for you!!!! I'm not wanting to mow either...that's why so much plant material is going in. And just for your info the N. s. only the Lonely is fragrant in the evenings til early morning. During the day scent is not noticeable...tho they have a newer one out... sorry... , I better read up on it before I say anything...lol. I do know some of the newer ones have flowers that are upfacing during the day but N. sandersae 'Heaven Scent' most of their flowers hand down til early evening-8-9-10 am ish. (and on cloudy days). And do you have seed for the N. sylvestris?

Polly...I just love all the lilies sooo, I've got bunches and bunches planted but the deer have been eating them so if I ever get to where I can keep them out... I see just the stocks...as soon as they set bud...chomp and they are gone...ONE DAY tho!!!!!! I do have a Lily formosiana (Lancer Lily) (think I got seed from Park Seed. Is a shortie at about 8-10", looks just like an Easter Lily on a SHORT stalk, but the fragrance is just wonderful...They don't usually see this one so leave it for me, but alas, I have to get on my knees to smell it...lol. Will have to see if I have a seed pod this year and will collect, they were easy to grow under lights inside (winter). If I find a pod will post if any might like to try, or might even have some seed from a few years ago if any are interested...(they have never seeded outside for me...). Pix on other 'puter at home, try to remember to post later.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
1:42 AM

Post #9330081

Deer just seem to know when buds are forming.Not just liliums but DL's as well. I spray like mad and have had good luck seeing lilies bloom with regular treatment.

Thumbnail by ge1836   Thumbnail by ge1836         

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
5:46 AM

Post #9330141

Warrior, it's a small world! I grew Lilium White Lancer from Park Seed years ago. I had to keep it in pots in my zone here, I would start it in January indoors, and it would bloom in September, extending my season. Must do that again. I got a bunch of similar seeds from NALS and used to grow a few different Formosanum/longiflorum crosses. I had to bring them in for winter but every year they would produce more flowers.

Don't you love the way lilies and roses add color and scent and extend your season? I actually had to pull out my nikkis a couple of weeks ago to make room for something else. I just threw down the seed and they took. And I still had borage and feverfew rocking out near the base of Heritage a few days ago. I put feverfew plants around the yard to provide some bloom (actually dug them up from my old house) and they really did perform.

Cool seeing them with the autumn leaves.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9330278

I like Nicotiana Alata for fragrance. It goes for me all season. N Sylvestris starts so slowly, and doesn't come into its own until much later in the season. I decided not to do it next year. I do looooove N Langsdorfii, the little green bells... Not sure about fragrance though. Our layout gives good visual, but you have to go into the garden to smell it.
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012

Post #9330284

I really like the Easter Lily (longifolium) fragrance. Just looked it up and seems many people can grow it around zone 5. So if I buy a blooming one (just one) at Easter, then put it in a large pot for outside, do you think it will come back later? I will do this!

It has been years since I burned out on trumpet lilies. The scent was so overpowering I cannot remember if it was good but too much. I really wanted the lily Silk Road (gorgeous) but saw it was oriental x trumpet - so would this one be overpowering too?

I did plant an LA lily (Courier) at previous house but had to stake it (too shady area). It was not very fragrant. The stalks were really thick. Lots of blooms in the semi shade though.

So, I went to B&D website to see what they had left.
Lankon - easter x lankongense, droops, spotted july 3-5', lovely scent
Arbatax - asiatic hybrid, pk/white center, june 3-5', light scent
Strawberry Cream - asiatic hybrid, pk center/white edge, june 3-4', no scent
Candy Club - orienpet hybrid, pk center, w edge, july 3-4', sweetly fragrant
Siberia - oriental hybrid, white, july 3-4', sweet scent

If I get just one of the fragrant ones, it should be safe - right? I planted many, many trumpet lilies before when they almost got me - choke, choke.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9330286

Sylvestris was just beginning to come when the Casablancas bloomed. They're nowhere in sight for the Asiatics.
You can see how far from the house they all are in the long view..

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9330292

I plan to winter sow the following nicotiana:
Perfume Antique Lime - 20" intoxicating perfume at night
Sylvestris Only the Lonely 4-5' intensely fragrant jasmine like perfume at night

I looked up the tall green one, Langsdorfii, and will try it next time. Looks great! Like green flowers. Thanks.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9330325

Carol,

I was trying to buy the lime green nicotiana but it was sold out. I grew it once upon a time, and I remember that it was scented, and quite nice.

Pam, what a gorgeous display of Casa Blancas!

Silk Road is not overpowering. I've had it in more than one setting. Outdoors, some distance from the house, and on my patio in the process of being transplanted to my new home. The photo in front of the burr oak had THREE of the plants, and they were never offensive (the other lilies are White Henryi, a trumpet, Acapulco, a fabulous Oriental (from B&D) and of course nicotiana alta . I did not find it overpowering in any case. And wow it's tough. It just has to be placed well, since the stem is very thick.

But if you want to try a beautiful, refined, delicately scented oriental trumpet cross, please consider Anastasia. It is on sale at Brent and Becky's bulbs NOW:

https://store.brentandbeckysbulbs.com/spring/productview/?sku=31-0139

I thought, honestly, that orienpets were crass. It changed my mind.

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
10:15 AM

Post #9330332

Here's a couple of pics, and one of N Alata Fragrant Cloud with a few other whites.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg      

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
10:21 AM

Post #9330337

I swore no more lilies because of the spraying for red beetles... But those are really, really tempting!
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
12:01 PM

Post #9330435

Finally got good rain - lasted for hours. Now freezing again. Think I will wait til spring for more lilies. No time to prep soil and not enough containers for new ones. Thanks for all the good advise. Ready to hibernate. Except for the 2 daffodils to plant and 20 bags of mulch to lay out and many oak leaves to move and ...

I will get ONE fragrant lily like Silk Road next spring and try it out before I get more. I really do not want 6 ft or higher lilies - pain to stake and to cut down later. I have several asiatic lilies already in containers.

I really have to stop ordering plants and seeds. There are things I want for next spring, along with the 7 more fruit trees coming. Thanks all.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9330452

Pam: your gardens are just lovely.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
1:07 PM

Post #9330471

Oh, I definitely would not order any lilies now. You are wise.

I'm with you on staking lilies. But there are some lilies that "bow" quite gracefully. Here is Anastasia, in full sun, completely unstaked, "bowing".

Speaking of daffodils!

You know, Pam, if anyone wants to organize a huge activity, they should hire you. I very much admire that you have done so much of the work yourself. I can only do it if I break it down in pieces. You go whole hog!

I got the most outrageous, huge, double nosed Mt. Hood daffodils from Old House Garden. They were ridiculously large. Each side of the nose was bugger than a standard daff bulb. I put in 5 at my old house and they turned into 20 in no time. Now I remember why.

I cheated by adding to my spring orders. I have four roses coming. then. I justify it in my mind because I will not be charged until then. I finally finished my parkway today. Three sections of sidewalk in front of my house, damaged for twenty plus years, were replaced at no cost to me due to the kindness of the king of Streets and Sanitation (nice note to him and the mayor), but it meant tilling the parkway, then thatching it, then laying down top soil. Tasks quite hard on the back. I have decided to wait until spring to seed, and then, once all has settled, Constance Spry, the gigantic rose, will go in. I could have planted a tree, but we have overhead power lines which would expose anything I really want to civic butchery, so instead I will plant a something beautiful and scented that will greet passersby. I can't wait.

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9330479

Donnamac: There is something so special about lilies.
I spent the afternoon marking where the ones are that didnt come up and bloom last summer after the odd spring.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
2:39 PM

Post #9330515

Thanks for the kind words! This is the first year I really feel it's coming together. There are some vignettes I'm happy with, and plant material has multiplied enough-- and I've bought and started enough from seed- to finally get some cohesion into the plantings. I love the eccentricity of English gardens, little -and big- surprises coming up everywhere, volunteers welcome, and this property is perfect for that. At the same time, I had to tame the wilderness. It's been quite an endeavor. Last year I finally had more beds planted than dead from Roundup. I still study the old pictures to find ideas about form, among other things. New plantings are so low! Originally there were phlox, tall white achillea, daylilies, Siberian Iris and other lovelies which had somehow come up or survived in the middle of thickets of invasives, and they succumbed under my new regime. Now it's hard to remember where there used to be height, bright color...

But it's definitely coming along. And the site is so special it's worth all the work. My goal, though, is low maintenance, so anything that needs extra care is out. I will spray the lilies I have, and love them, but would rather find more toughies for the big picture. My most recent discovery is Platycodons. I always thought they were difficult, but they love it here. And I finally found out how to get them going from seed, so there will be a lot more of them in the future. Another goodie is DIanthus. I plan to get them going in January under lights so they'll have a ittle substance by spring.

And for fragrance, Phlox likes it here, too. I've banished the magenta to the fringes, but love whites and lavenders, which I've bought, and the pink one that was here that looks like Bright Eyes.

Pics on the next post...
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
2:54 PM

Post #9330525

First is P Miss Tilly, borderline hardy here, in her 3rd summer
Second is P Hakone White, a double, only one plant. I got it from Lazy S, had it in a pot, and it only flowered once. In the fall I thought it was dead, but stuck it in the ground anyway, and voila!
Third, that gorgeous blue. This fall, ther was one last flush ( not this one) just before frost. It's only year 2 for this one, high hopes for next year. And the double blues I did from seed should kick in, too.
... And some phlox..,

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg   

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
4:13 PM

Post #9330582

Ge, how funny! I was doing the same thing the other day. I'm adding edging plants and was carefully marking where my lily babies from last year are. This January I want to start some longiflorum/formosanums from seed so that I will have lilies in fall. I haven't done that in years and I realize how I miss it. Also, the lilium candidums I started from seed a while back should bloom this spring. It was NALS seed raised by the late, great Ed MacRae, and is called 'Cascade Strain', supposedly tougher and more disease free.

I finally realized that my determined deadheading of my platys was robbing me of new plants. I was not able to be so compulsive about deadheading them this year, and what do I find? Baby platys! The ones that look like little carrots. I carefully dug under them, placed them in my new yard, and marked them, and they are fine. I now have a tray of them from seed, and am allowing them to mature. I may pot them up over winter. Blue, white and mother of pearl. I love those plants.

But Miss Tilly? Who is this lady?
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
4:49 PM

Post #9330621

She's a dwarf! They say 6-8," and she's only hardy to z 6-8. Mine doesn't get enough sun and is in a crowded bed full of huge rocks. I'd move her, but who know where her roots are-- I'd probably kill her. This year she put out 2 10" stems that flowered on and off all summer. I took seeds this year and plan to see what she'll do in a better spot.

Thumbnail by Pfg   Thumbnail by Pfg         

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9330634

Donna, because of a picture you posted I went on line and found mother of pearl seeds. I can't wait to add them into the mix!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 11, 2012
6:14 PM

Post #9330702

They are WONDERFUL! I grew them with several tender and one hardy salvia in pink and white.

In the second pic there is actually culinary salvia to the left that blooms pink (rosea) and there is a pink rose on the right. I love color echoes - two or three plants in a couple of different shades. The salvia nemerosa Rose Queen at the base is a bit spent, but here is a better pic - and it's grown from seed. The ones I bought always died. The ones I grew thrived (go figure).

Lovely with roses and allium christophii. I'm trying to recreate something of this effect in my new yard, alas, without the grasses! I love pink and white with different textures.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 11, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9330718

My platycodon tends to get nasty looking at the base. Maybe overwatering?

Is the sage actually named rosea, Donna? Love it!
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 11, 2012
7:21 PM

Post #9330748

I like echoes, too. I've been playing with purples in one area, blues in another, strong pinks in a third. It's fun, some combos work better than others. Purples can get very somber. It doesn't help that that bed is at the far end of the long border, pretty far from the house. I'm adding some pops of brighter colors to pep it up. Blues are hard, in their own way they are very bright. But I love them, so I'll keep working at it.

We also have those huge daylily beds down the middle that dominate when they are blooming, and the other borders have to compete or be overshadowed by them. The DLs have to stay, says J. The former owner (mid 30's to 70's) was a hybridizer, and many are his accomplishments- un-named, as far as I can find out. But they belong here, so they stay.

Today I planted another 60 Daffs, bought on impulse at HD yeaterday, with my trusty cordless drill and the huge augur I bought last year. Took no time at all. Love it.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 12, 2012
1:34 AM

Post #9330820

Pam: I have Hakone White plats.I love mine.Its been here for 3 years but hasnt increased much. I see you have a lot of Ginger. I also have it and find it invasive.It sprouts in the middle of perenns. and just takes over.
The mother plant has been banished to "no mans land" That area is looking better than some of the vignettists I agonize over,"who knew"

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 13, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9332670

Pix 1 Lily formosa Lancer, Donna...they are hardy in z5, I have some at my daughter's garden which is a z5b, and here at my z6a garden where this pix was taken.

Carol...the lilies they sell as potted Easter Lily (longifolium)plants are forced...You can get one and attempt to grow it, the ones they use to force are a different species, I do know lilium Regale is a Trumpet lily, bit different and definately hardy in z5. If you try one of those that was forced put it in an area that can keep it warmer, ie. south side of the house close to the foundation, it might work. Plant extra deep (6-8") and mulch, do not cut the foliage back, leave it mature til stalk turns brown and the can remove. (One way to get bulbs for free is to check local churches or sometimes garden centers or grocery store after Easter and get free or marked down drastically, Lowes and Home Depot too.)

Polly...I have Salvia nemerosa rosea Rose Queen (pix 4), seed or plants if you'ld like to try in the spring...give me a hollar in Aprilish. (also have blue Blue Queen if interested. pix 2.)

Ok...and who's looking for Dianthus seed? I have Dianthus grationopolitanus (Bath's Pinks or Cottage Pinks, pix 2 lower left and pix 3), also Dianthus deltoides Zing (pix 5). Send me a d-mail, will ship...Kathy

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 14, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9332918

Kathy, that's very kind of you.

Yes, I would love a plant. I don't do much with seeds. But I know I can find something to trade with you. Thanks!!!! I'll put you on my calendar for late April. We don't lose our snow here until then.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 14, 2012
9:31 AM

Post #9333028

Warrior, amazingly enough a friend gave me several hardy geraniums, and at the bottom of the pot there were these very familiar looking things that I recognized as being bulbs with at least some formosanum in them, having grown them from seed myself. I called the person, who said basically, oh yes, those are formosanums I've been nursing. I immediately offered to return them but the person said no. Which is incredible, since they are of a size such that they will bloom next year. I didn't want to take a chance with leaving them in the garage, so they are potted up in my garage.

A lovely person in Alaska sent me some lilium speciosum alba she did not believe are going to bloom, and they are there too, along with two tender hydrangeas and a mystery peony I found about six inches down, budded but not blooming. I spoke to the people who lived here for 20 years and they did not put the peony in, so it must be a relic from at least 25 years ago, planted when there was till sun in the yard.

They are now all nestled under a quilt, and getting water once a month. As you can imagine, I can't wait till spring!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9333679

Oh, oh!

Just got an email from B&D lilies. They have a "dented" sale of blooming sized bulbs. Amongst them is a bulb I resisted with all my might. Speciosum Uchida. I had it in my old yard. Sets of three.

Oh dear! It's on it's way. Going into pots like the Speciosum alba that was a gift. Speciosum needs more acid soil, so it will join the other in a pot in the garage.

Bad!
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2012
6:16 AM

Post #9333696

[quote="DonnaMack"]Oh, oh!

Oh dear! It's on it's way.

Bad![/quote]

Donna, I used to feel guilty about the money I spent on plants...a ridiculous amount each season. But it really is a wonderful worthwhile redeeming way to spend one's time. There are so many other things in my life I can legitimately feel "bad" about...but not gardening.

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9333775

Just ordered B&D Lilies - to come NOW. Will I see you at the n step meeting?

Lankon - easter x lankongense, spotted droop, July 3-5', lovely scent 1x
Strawberry Cream - asiatic hybrid, pk center/white edge, June 3-4', no scent 1x
Candy Club - orienpet hybrid, pk center, w edge, July 3-4', sweetly fragrant 1x - one cannot be overpowering, right?
Spec Album - white droop, Aug-Sept 3-4' , light fragrance (dent sale) 3x
Little White Kiss - white asiatic double, June 3-4', no scent (dent sale) 6x

Will put in large pots where I was growing food crops like lettuce.

Took a while to order - kittens had unplugged my keyboard.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
10:17 AM

Post #9333897

I guess I shouldn't feel too terrible. SOMEBODY had to give those poor dented lilies a home.
Did I mention the 6 camassia semiplena I rescued from a sale at White Flower Farm, and just put in? I paid $25 for 5 years ago and was able to get 6 for a third of that price. They were under a linden at my old house. Here, I put them under a cherry tree.

And speaking of kitties and computers. The people who owned my home until last December, when they moved to New Zealand, left behind with me their two cats, ones of which is an 8 year old Siamese named Sophie. She loves to creep onto my computer keyboard because it's warm, often shutting it down.

No matter how I chastise her, she still does it. So here is a picture of Sophie against two images of pictures I took of her on the computer. Note that she has made her way even further onto the keyboard!

I have never ordered so many plants on sale after the close of the season. I just tell myself that if I had waited until spring to order them the cost would have been much higher. Like Sophie, I chastise myself for doing things - and then do them anyway!

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9333915

So Donna I take it you are a "cat person" (as well as a gardener)? What a woman!

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9333927

OH Yes., I chastise myself all the time over plants,learning to less and less as time goes on. Kitty I don't anymore ,he likes to help me type and dig so I it happens anyway.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 15, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9333937

OH Yes., I chastise myself all the time over plants,learning to less and less as time goes on. Kitty I don't anymore ,he likes to help me type and dig so I it happens anyway.
This is Camo a feral adopted ,will be a teenager next year My favorite weeds Chicory,and Coneflowers

Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   Thumbnail by juhur7   

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 15, 2012
11:05 AM

Post #9333944

This is my 4th garden and 3rd orchard. I have practiced a lot. Killed some plants more than 3 times (usually blue flowered ones).

Too many plants now out of commerce. Prices sky high for those I can find. If I had not taken so many plants from my sold house, I would have very little. I saved a bundle when I moved many plants in pots. Also saved a bundle when I used the latest sales (plant costs and/or shipping cost). I will not pay $15 for a plant I think should cost only $3 (like brunnera with only green leaves). And most of the shipping costs are gigantic. But I paid a fortune for tree trimming, landscape materials, and house repairs.

So, I am now waiting for 5 types of lily bulbs - very soon. Looking forward to new types. Thanks.
In spring will get 7 fruit trees and more plants/bulbs (early orders).
In winter I will start winter sowing.
Around Easter, I will try to plant Easter lilies from stores.

I use a spreadsheet and am now having trouble imagining what I have and where I will plant new stuff - I have a fairly small lot.
I still want lily silk road and may try lily anastasia too.

Helper finished cheap cedar mulch patio (not great but will have to do) and most of the leaf blowing/shredding (worked well). Today is caulk the garage outside day (needs it) and root stimulator day for all new shrubs and trees. And those new pesky daffodils I cannot seem to put in the ground. This may be last day for helper this year - he was a godsend.

That bunny fence had better work. Plan on lots of delphiniums next year. Thanks all for your advice. In the past I had little time to garden well; often had to use a flashlight to see anything when I got home. Now that I have time I want to dabble in new areas like dwarf conifers - especially the blue ones - bet you guessed that. Onward. Carol
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 15, 2012
11:23 AM

Post #9333963

[quote="carolmo"]and am now having trouble imagining what I have and where I will plant new stuff - I have a fairly small lot. [/quote]

That is the rub for many of us Carol...sigh. After next year my garden area will be fixed. It will be a new feeling for me i.e. only maintaining rather than exciting expansion.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 16, 2012
5:06 PM

Post #9335023

Warmed up today so I got these planted...
4 Spiarea j. Shirobana
9 Peonies (mixed)
3 Roses Pink Knockout
63 Iris purple and white. (I just got a couple of days ago when I took my grandaughter to basketball practice, got to talking with one of the moms and she said she just divided and planted and had all these and didn't know what to do with them, needless to say I offered to give them a home and thoroughly enjoy them..lol.)
10 Iris, 2 different purples.
More nice weather tomorrow...gosh I think I'll plant something...Kathy

pix; annual reseeding Rudbeckia

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 16, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9335027

Are sure you do not have Super girl or Wonder woman working for you? Goodness,, are your Bees Butterflies and Hummingbirds going to be happy!!!^_^ ^_^ ^_^
Along with all our eyes and yours when all that blooms, !! Hey I got it!!! I know, A perfume factory..wow!!
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9335075

It's funny, placing things. I definitely overordered. I have the joy of having preserved many plants from my old home. What joy! It was a mature garden. But there are simply things I want that remind me of why I got into gardening.

I have had the great good fortune to have my front parkway redone. A tree had basically destroyed and cracked the sidewalk, creating hazard, and the previous owners of 20 years had been very passive about it. I put in multiple requests for repair that were ignored. Then I spoke with a wonderful woman from the city who noted three work orders - and no action. So she gave me the name of the Streets and Sanitation God. A lovely man. I talked to him, and he promise me repair within three weeks. I got it in two. In the meantime, I used roundup twice and I rented a 9 hp tiller and got the soil old weeds out (I had already removed about 500 dandelions out.) Then I ordered top soil and spread it and thatched. It took ages. It was such physical work that I had to break it down in pieces. And at the end of last week I decided to seed in spring.

Picture 1 is before. September 13. Bees had built a nest on the right side, and an animal went after the honey.

Picture 2 is during the work. September 26.

Picture 3 is completion on the same date.

Picture 4 is the tiller I got to remove the soil. I was trying to put down new seed. I put down top soil.

Picture 5 - they came back and sodded the entire parkway. No waiting for spring! This was November 15. None of this cost me a cent!

When I asked them about it, they said that I had obviously worked so hard to make it nice that that, although they were not supposed to, they sodded the entire parkway. I wrote thank you emails. I love my new community.

Now I have plans for the parkway. On the easement at home, I had peonies and lilacs and hydrangeas. My plan for this - Constance Spry. I will surround it with nepeta and salvia as I did at home. From divisions. Since it is in full sun, maybe some of the roses I had before.

I've had my nose in catalogs all day.

Mind you, this is NOTHING compared to Warrior. I have NO IDEA how you do it all.

Today I put in alliums and found some more lilum speciosum. And potted up my platycodons. Ah, we gardeners, trying to get it all in asap so it can mature into beautiful stuff (onstance Spry is on order).

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 16, 2012
11:37 PM

Post #9335228

You all are enablers.

Kathy - you are a super hero for sure. I could/would not do all that when I was young.

B&D sent me an email to get double bonus if I ordered just a little more. So I did.
Cocossa - orienpet w/gold 3-4' July Aug
Ormea - orienpet w/pink, 3-4' July
2 unknowns as bonus

No - I am not going to dig more - done with that (til spring).
Will merely put hand in potting mix, make a hole, place bulb there. Hah! Of course, I might have to get more pots and mix.

Finished caulking - today is rooting hormone day - the easy way - with dial sprayer on hose. I can learn.

I have learned a lot from you guys. Thanks.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
2:13 AM

Post #9335242

Great job on the walk Donna. Are the new plants going between the sidewalk and the street?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9335373

Some ornamental grasses, maybe?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9335455

Yes, ge. It's a big, empty space. It screams to be filled. I can't put any tall tree there, because of power lines. Lots of people have put plants on their easements, but sometimes with no thought to the effects of the sun. There are lots of burned up hostas.

I am definitely putting in Constance Spry - it's already ordered - and I want to decided whther to surround it with the kind of low maintenance perennials I had before - lot of nepeta and salvia. It was very easy to take care of, and it was pretty spectacular. And this is the only place where there is room.

Here it is end to end. Ideas are welcomed!!! It's about ten feet long!

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 17, 2012
9:15 AM

Post #9335458

Oh, I started my response and put it on hold. Yes! Ornamental grasses. I had 55 before.

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 17, 2012
10:40 AM

Post #9335555

You might be surprised when other neighbors start putting small gardens in their easments too.That happened in my old neighborhood when I planted mine.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 17, 2012
3:49 PM

Post #9335738

LOL...Donna I don't understand ...You just had them sod that and your going to dig it up or just a few planting spaces like across the street (3 trees spread apart)?

You all are tooo kind..lol. Super Girl checking in. Whew, another long one today. I planted 3 Spiarea j. Magic Carpet, 3 Spiarea j. (x bulmalda) Goldmound, 1 Taxus baccata Repandens and 8 peonies. It got a bit breezy so i called it a day when the loose peat moss started blowing in my face. Yuck!!! I keep telling myself...just a little bit more...1 large tree, 8 or so peonies and 1 shrub... then I would need to rototill to get more in the ground...So I'm debating with myself to line out a bunch of the perenns I have in pots, or my Iris I have in pots or...lol. I do have more shrubs that I just won't get to this season so they are being tucked up close to the house on the north side behine a 40ft blue spruce for the winter...shucks!

'Spose to be sitting for the gkids next week, not sure what days I will have off, Part of Thurs., Fri. and the weekend, Forecast is calling for 50*, hope so...gosh I sure would like to finish up for the season. Will try to remember to get pix tomorrow before I begin lining out perenns and or Iris as they will just go in where ever I can find open ground for the winter. The area I want my perenn garden in the back still has alot of grass roots that was rototilled in, didn't get all the roots so am thinking Roundup in the spring and then i can move the perenns to their new home. But until then, am placing perenns where there is open ground and no roots...I got plenty of it between the shrubs as they were only 1 gallons on most where the soil is good and no roots to dig thru...

Have any of you had any luck with seeding in sunflowers in the fall and allowed them to sprout in the spring? I was thinking of seeding the area I have the worst washout come July (if we get a nasty storm), since the shrubs are too small to help yet.. I have a wild sunflower that seems to reseed itself but I want to put in the Mamoths, and I'm not sure I will remember come spring to do it in time...lol...like I need something else yet this fall...egads...lol.

pix: cosmos...maybe I'll throw some of these seeds too! En mass these are fragrant also...yum, yum, yum!!!!

ge1836

ge1836
Pittsford, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2012
2:22 AM

Post #9335982

Squirrls find the sunflowers here.DD has let the heads just drop seeds but not many plants in spring.
Cosmose sound great,I love them massed but dont do it here because I am running out of room.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012

Post #9336009

Warrior, absolutely I will dig. But for now it will be one planting space. That's what I did at my old house in the pics. This was all sod. Ten feet across and the length of the house. We seeded the lawn, but they sodded the easement. See the stuff inside the granite boulders? All easement! The three lilacs? All easement. Ditto the hydrangeas. I had 14 peonies on the easement. All that planting space made my mouth water.

I noticed something odd. When the easement was bare, people would allow their dogs to do their business there. At the end of winter it was gross. Once I put plants on it, 95% of people curbed their dogs. The occasional idiot or poorly trained child would allow their dog to go over to a hydrangea and start lifting its leg, but a firm "would you curb your dog, please?" did the trick.

I'm not going to do anything this extreme, but I think one huge rose would rock. I put in Constance Spry in 2008. Here it is in 2011. And mind you, it didn't bloom in 2008 because I purchased it in April and it's a once bloomer.

It's really a tree substitute. Ad frankly, it gets so huge there is not a lot of room for anything else.
Something big, beautiful, scented, tough and low maintenance. I would only dig one hole. I'm going to try to restrain myself.

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
5:28 AM

Post #9336029

This thread started in August and it is now 3 months later and still going strong. Kathy and Donna you gotta take a nap...you are making the rest of us look old and 'feeble'!

This message was edited Nov 18, 2012 9:04 AM
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9336045

Kathy and Donna are gardeners extraordinaire. I am amazed at what humans can do when they want to. I bought 10 more flexible tubs for the coming lilies because I cannot conceive of digging more holes now. They were hard to find because of the Christmas stuff out now. And - I am going to look at my easement (8') and see what if anything I can do later - yes, I said later, not this year. Groan.

I am thinking I can put some of my new plants (lilies - maybe in their tubs) and wintersown plants (columbine, alchemilla) in the front semi shady yard. Might need to get more dwarf daffodils - got more tete-a-tete at Lowes - will look at Home Depot. Thanks guys. Have never seen so much good info.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
6:03 AM

Post #9336055

[quote="DonnaMack"]Here it is end to end. Ideas are welcomed!!! It's about ten feet long![/quote]

Donna et al you gotta read this blog by "Scott". He did this past spring and summer just as you are contemplating.

Read here + all the comments: http://www.rhonestreetgardens.com/2012/02/andwere-off.html

"Rhone Street Gardens" is a great blog for residential gardeners.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9336105

Carol an Rogue, you are really sweet.

I very much enjoyed the blog.

One thing to bear in mind about sod is that it takes YEARS for it to attach itself to the earth. Digging in a seeded lawn is hard, but when I was putting my first three peonies in the easement, I simply measured and then used a sharp shovel to cut circles. Even after 3 years the sod had not really attached. I put in more over the next two years and was able to pull up the sod by hand. That's why I really don't like sod, and why it has to be cared for. All of its nutrients are in about 3 inches of soil. I read that it takes 7 years for sod to attach itself to the earth and I'm sure it's at least 5. That's what made it so easy to plant in it.

Dear Carol, the easement is your opportunity to dream. I love lilacs. I already had five. But this gave me a chance to be really anal about what I wanted. I wanted a double blue lilac. I wanted it to be 12 feet tall. I wanted one that does not get mildew (yes, they exist!) I found all those characteristics except the doubleness in President Lincoln lilac. You have to understand. I'm REALLY a little nuts. I went to source after source about lilacs. Articles, library books. They help you rule out things you THINK you want because you find out that they have serious flaws. I found PL at Forest Farm. Little 12 inch tubes. I paid $18 and then loved them to death.

You would be amazed how much you can fit safely (for the health of the plants) in your yard if you like. I have a couple of really cruddy unidentifiable shrubs in the yard. The kind where you can see three separate stems trying to bluff their way into being shrubs. And they have the gall of being in full sun. I'm going to pull them out, or perhaps have the sweethearts who put in the sod do it. And then I can add a beloved viburnum or two.

What I would really love to do is pull out some of the blasted burning bushes. I have four! One of them is too mature but I have my beady little eye on the other three. And then I can install more grasses! Viburnums? What is life without viburnum carlesi in the spring? You can create your own little paradise.

I loved walking into my yard at the end of the day in summer with glass of something cool, and schmoozing with my plants in the yard. I loved looking out of every window and seeing something lovely.

I'm a garden nut! What can I say? I'm just really happy to pass on everything I know to other garden nuts in the making LOL!

Thumbnail by DonnaMack

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9336110

Syringa Plus is a really nice place to get lilacs, also. Great selection. I've been buying from them for years, and highly recommend.

http://syringaplus.com/?page_id=36
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9336117

Just downloaded their retail list. Wow!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 18, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9336128

They are really nice. The owner, Roger was the head of the Arnold Arboretum for a time. So he knows his lilacs. You can always trust them to be true to name. And I love that they carry the Fiala lilacs. Do you have Father Fialas book on lilacs, Donna?
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 18, 2012

Post #9336181

Yes I do! I found it in the library, and it was so irrestsible that I purchased my own copy. I have visited Arnold. and it is amazing, especially if you love the stuff brought back by plant explorers like Henry Wilson. He's the guy who found lilium regale on a hillside in China.

I might need a dwarf lilac or two on that parkway, and they look like a great source!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
8:58 PM

Post #9336748

Wow, what a great source for lilacs!!! I see he has microphila (little leaf) which is a rebloomer. I'm thinking this is where our newer rebloomers came from. Speaking of which has anyone grown any of the rebloomers yet, ie Josie and the other (sorry can't think of the name...is it Boomarang?).

Speaking of the dwarfs Donna ...I have 5 to plant, S. p. Miss Kim. Might have to line them out as I'm running out of time. I did finish up today, 8 peonies, 1 Lonicera tatarica. Now I just have 1 large tree to go in, a 15 gallon, lol, I used a plastic tobagan to get it to the back yard, will get it done Fri or the weekend. Then it's back to lining out the rest. I won't get to this season, few trees, shrubs and hundreds of the perenns and Iris.

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 18, 2012
9:48 PM

Post #9336775

Had to stop and download pix I took today. This is what I've been working on. So far about 120 trees, shrubs and peonies (33) so far. I sure hope it's pretty next spring!!!!

I will use the space between shrubs for lining out in certain areas and my wash area I will plant as many of the iris and seeds for sunflowers as I can...I don't have to worry about squirrels as there aren't any around here, with a lack of trees for them to hide in I'm just not squirrel friendly yet...lol.

The open areas in front will have a circular path and then planting areas for perenns. The gray hose (background) and the green hose (foreground) are possible path choices, not sure yet...I won't plant til I can 'Roundup' the remaining grass roots that come up in the spring.

Hey didn't Father Fiala also do some hybridizing of Lathrus (sweetpeas) too? Or am I confusing him with another priest?

Kathy

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
2:40 AM

Post #9336813

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"]This is what I've been working on. So far about 120 trees, shrubs and peonies (33) so far. [/quote]

I know it isn't right to covet thy neighbour's...garden ;) but I am not ashamed to admit Kathy that I do envy you greatly! Here I am trying to find space for one measly single tree for next season (Acer shirasawanum Aureum aka "Golden Full Moon" Japanese Maple) and you are throwing around #s like 120...lucky you.

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"] I sure hope it's pretty next spring![/quote]

I bet it will be spectacular but I won't believe it until I see pictures ;).

This message was edited Nov 19, 2012 6:36 AM
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2012
2:49 AM

Post #9336816

OK, I finally figured it out. 120 trees, shrubs, 33 peonies. Tons of perennials. Kathy is really a city. No single human could do all this. ;)
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 19, 2012
5:05 AM

Post #9336872

And all at once! I did a fraction of the work over several years.

I think Kathy has superhuman abilities. Did you see the second installment of X-Men? There was a guy who could multiply himself indefinitely so that he could do more than one thing at a time. It allowed for incredible feats. That's Kathy!
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
5:06 AM

Post #9336874

My goodness, Kathy!

I do grow Josee and Bloomerang. They do rebloom some with no care, but if you cut the first flowers off they will bloom again heavily. Miss Kim is not a dwarf here, it gets huge.

What perennials are you planning on?
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9337060

[quote="pollyk"]

I do grow Josee and Bloomerang. They do rebloom some with no care[/quote]

For sure that "Bloomerang" (or at least mine) is over-rated i.e. in terms of what it was advertised when it first came out several years ago. Mine will bloom every 5 weeks or so.

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 6:21 AM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
8:19 PM

Post #9337669

Everyone keep their fingers crossed we get moisture come December-to spring...Right now we are still almost 4" down for this year. I'm hoping for one big Bliz---- next month, I would like to take the rest of this year off to goof around inside. I know the kitchen remodel is still waiting to be finished but I want to just sit back and take a few weeks off before tackeling another project...
I'm hoping I get to start some seeds this winter, have to see what happens in a few weeks... Laid awake thinking of all the possibilities for my problem corner area. Next to the fence am thinking of the mammouth sunflowers (between Lilacs), then a row of corn (am thinking the stalks of corn would be pretty good sized by July 4th. And seeding in Cosmos for the next 5-7ft into the yard area. Second row of shrubs is 8ft from the Lilacs, (I planted things close so they would knit together, but my problem is holding the soil where it is... Second row in in that area is Viburnum plicatum var. tomentosa "Shasta" (6ft ^ x !0ft>), in front and to one side is Spiarea frobel Anthony Waterer (36-48"^x 36>), I'm thinking of things I have on hand that could be divided or seeded in. Need plants that are strong enough that could handle a hard rush of water over them, and possible hail (2 years in a row of 4-6" of rain and hail coming down the hill thru my yard, I don't know how much water that is but let me tell ya it's a bunch, the actual amount is staggering. The year before last the hail was 4-6foot deep in the ditches after it had been washed from properties above me, even washing out a section of the road the county had to come in and rebuild).. I have Daisies that get to 48"^ (Becky), that or Veronica spicata Sight Seeing Blue (28"^), probably needing 10-15 to fill in the space, (am lucky...lol, they need dividing) Both will bloom most of the season. And for filler around them til they filll in a bit seeding in some annual Poppies (something like Cedric Morris. Sorry, gotta go now will be back when I get home. Kathy

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9337680

That is the id , the erg ,the ego...Me myself and I following modern sociology (almost modern) there are fifteen possibilities of each and every one of us as an individual...
I am believing Kathy has found a way to use all these , so she has fourteen helpers while gardening and doing chores
That' more than I have said in months ,...incredible!!!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 19, 2012
10:16 PM

Post #9337757

LOL...juhur...you're funny... are you laughing with me or at me...lol. Only joking...No, truely I have a question but am also bouncing ideas off you gals... Who was it that said they had grown or were framiliar with the Viburnum plicatum 'Shasta'. My question is: will these shrubs bloom all summer or just for a month or so? The reason I ask is that if I use the veronica which is a mid blue...will it be seen because the shrub behind it will bloom most of the summer or will it be green leaves most of the summer? The Spiareas can bloom most of the summer if deadheaded. If the later, my veronicas would be lost as the distance from where the patio will be is about 75 ft (maybe more ). Pix 1 is a group of Veronicas (might be 3 or 4 ish), so would the color wash out and not be seen against the shrub leaves? This shrub is totally new to me so am unframiliar with it. And the flowers won't get planted til spring but wanna work on my plans this winter...if nothing else, in my own minds eye...I'm here attempting to glean the information it has taken others years to aquire. Ok, will see what ideas come from library of minds here...lol..Thanks for the input as it's appreciated..Kathy.
Pix 2-4: Smiley Faces of all my friends here...lol.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 19, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9337760

www.usna.usda.gov/Newintro/shasta.html With you of curse anyway, as always!! I will see if link copied for me .they rarely do! viburnum Shasta Because I dunno!!! lol
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
5:03 AM

Post #9337847

Put root stimulator on everything, especially the new fruit trees and new viburnums. Used hose end sprayer - so easy. Except for too many leaves not yet shredded, yard looking good. Ready to saw holes in new tubs and fill with potting mix for B&D lilies - coming soon - I hope.

Have bird feeding stations in window for cat and 2 kittens to watch - had put up concave mirror on one feeding pole to see front door from window - finally noticed birds missing. Duh! Dawned on me when heard a bird hitting the house or window. Removed mirror. May have to wait for new birds to come through. I will use mirrors for fruit trees later - heard about using old shiny CDs and gazing balls. Now I believe it.

Today I saw on forum that Van Engelen has sale of about 40%. Was looking for more dwarf daffodils - but all sold out. Ordered 10 lily Landini (2 on order elsewhere) , 5 lily lollipop (have some), 5 lily white pixtels, lily longiflorum white heaven Easter lily (yes), 3 eremurus white beauty 5' tall (killed previous ones - try again), 50 muscari b. superstar (periwinkle blue), 5 narcissus sinopel (green - always wanted this one). I get their catalog but usually they sell large amounts of bulbs, like 100. I can handle this. Have lots of flexible tubs and potting mix. The eremurus has to go in the ground. The muscari and narcissus will also go in the ground.

pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
6:11 PM

Post #9338547

I have quite a few viburnums including Shasta. They don't bloom long.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 20, 2012
6:48 PM

Post #9338620

Polly, what viburnums do you have?
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 20, 2012
7:50 PM

Post #9338705

Shasta, Shoshoni, Blue Muffin, carlesii, Molly Schroeder, Mary Milton, Mariesii, Summer Snowflake, Watanabei, Popcorn. There may be a few others. Most of these I obtained as starter plants when selling plants from Spring Meadows.
birder17
Jackson, MO
(Zone 6b)

November 20, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9338723

Okay, I have missed out on the root stimulator with the garden hose? What's the deal? Also, what's the deal with the "tube" for lilies?

I planted 3 flats of pansies this weekend. Lowe's had them for 75 percent off. We also finished putting in the rest of the ordered bulbs.

I pulled weeds this weekend and today. I still have to put down the mulch. Weeds drive me crazy. I weed flower beds many times through out the spring through fall.

DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9338842

Polly,

Well, in a few years you will be able to do quite a tutorial on viburnums.

Put in little stuff yesterday. Some of the finishing touches. Allium oreophyllum at the front of beds, where it will be seen. My last few WP Milners where I have noticed squirrel activity. And I'm expecting speciosum uchida any day.

I'm looking at the shadier areas of my yard for spring. I think I can get a viburnum dentatum Chicago Lustre there. I have already found several sources. Happily they include nearby garden centers, so I can assess them in person and wait until spring. Also looking at several for sunny spots in the yard that currently have garbage shrubs. Trilobum? Opulus? Carlesi? A truly hardy viburnum plicatum?

It was in the 50's. I gave my parkway sod a good watering, since we haven't had rain in a while. It's going to go dormant, like everyone else's grass, but it needs to do it slowly.

I've been looking at the hardy geraniums I installed a few weeks ago. Such lovely autumn color! Next year I'll be dividing them.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 21, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9338983

[quote="DonnaMack"]I've been looking at the hardy geraniums I installed a few weeks ago. Such lovely autumn color!
[/quote]

I really like some of my hardy geraniums. I know "Max Frei" is a pretty old school traditional one but I like it lots as it gives a mass of blooms in the spring, it is so well behaved i.e. tight and compact, gives sporadic blooms late in the season and the leaves turn a lovely colour in the fall.

This past summer I planted a very new introduction called "Havana Blues". It is supposed to be a better behaved "Rozanne" (ie less sprawling).

This message was edited Nov 21, 2012 12:58 PM
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 21, 2012
8:20 AM

Post #9339006

Biokovo and Karmina have wonderful fall color, and even the leaves are scented.

Donna, those viburnums are full grown now, but I'm not one to give a tutorial, I just planted them.
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 21, 2012
10:52 AM

Post #9339111

Oh, I have to go stick my nose in the geraniums!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 22, 2012
9:41 PM

Post #9340306

Polly do you like your Shasta, and what is the mature size and from what size and how long...lol (thankyou). You know those tags sometime are just not that accurate. Do you love your carlessii? yum!!!!

Rouge..Started with Johnson's blue then tried Rozanne and I just love my Rozanne, so where did you get the new variety? Have bunches of the hardy geraniums, just love'm all.

Hope everyone had a great turkey day!!! Kathy.

A few pix with my Rozannes.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2012
4:00 AM

Post #9340356

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"]I just love my Rozanne, so where did you get the new variety?[/quote]

"Rozanne" is wonderful in the right setting as it can be large and sprawling.

Between you and I ;) I was able to get this new variety shipped to me from Europe...5 bare root plants in early spring 2012. 1 died while in my care :( but the other 4 progressed well this past season and I look forward to seeing them do their 'stuff' in 2013.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2012 7:24 AM
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 23, 2012
5:04 AM

Post #9340374

Oh, Kathy, is that Oregano Kent Beauty?!!! Is it hardy for you?

I love your color combinations and textures!

Would you please identify each of the plants in your pics?

Donna
pollyk
Hannibal, NY
(Zone 6a)

November 23, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9340449

I love Shasta. Even when not in bloom it has a nice architectural show. I planted it about 7 years ago from a one quart which was maybe a foot tall, and now it's 6 foot tall. Which is about the max, I think. It is, however, very wide, which I didn't take into account, and it's growing into other shrubs. I would say to give it a good 10 feet for width.

Amended to say Shoshoni grows just a little smaller, so if you want smaller, look into that one.

This message was edited Nov 23, 2012 10:12 AM

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9340504

Ya, ya...I know..should have put the names of plants up..and thanks for the compliments Donna!
Pix1: Rozanne, annual alyssum (which had reseeded in) and yes Origanum Kent Beauty
Pix2: If you look closely (enlarge pix), you will see 2 verbascums, one is prurple and the other is lavender; Dianthus X Loveliness and a Rozanne
Pix3: Rozanne, Centranthus ruber (jupiter's beard), and Humulus aureous Golden Hops vine which was allowed to sprawl.

Just to let ya all know the Dianthus has died out and needs to be replaced. It comes in red, a couple of pinks, a couple of whites (pure and green eye zone), purple and lavender and short lived as it blooms profusely, (shucks...it doesn't reseed tho).

Polly...already planted the Shastas from 1 gallon sized containers, I believe they were Home Depot specials, put in 5, can't remember if I placed them 8 or 10ft apart. Am hoping for them to grow together, making a green backdrop for the plants in front. So I may have to consider a lighter colored flower such as the Daisies... Or I could dig my Salvia n. Pink and replant them to this area, only thing is I already planted Spiareas on both sides of the open area to the front of the Shastas. I guess I could try for a color echo effect if I use the pink. I should try to get a pix of my plans drawn to this point and see if I can post. Thanks, I'm getting some great feedback.

rouge...who do you get plants from in Europe...and have you had sucess ordering from across the pond? I've been eyeing a pink Centaurea montana for years now, was hoping it would make it's way to America but hasn't made it into commerce yet.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 23, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9340574

[quote="warriorswisdomkathy"]rouge...who do you get plants from in Europe...and have you had sucess ordering from across the pond?[/quote]

It was a one time thing Kathy. The grower was really so nice to send me the plants...gratis!

rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2012
8:07 AM

Post #9341197

I began this thread over 200 posts ago and now I might be one of the last to be planting something this weekend in a zone 5 (albeit it is a tree and not a perennial per se). I had been searching nursery after nursery late this fall hoping to find an Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum' aka "Golden Full Moon Japanese Maple". Well I was almost resigned to starting my search again next spring (it would be easy at that time of the year) and then I came across one about an hour away from my home. I picked it up last night. It is quite large considering how slowly this tree does grow i.e. 15 gallon container, 5 foot high. And this morning it is cold windy and a bit snowy. It is for sure dormant so I do plan to dig that hole this weekend. Anyone want to come help?

Thumbnail by rouge21

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2012
8:27 AM

Post #9341210

Good luck to you!

My garden is frozen, I've been done for a couple of weeks now. Last week I was able to get a few more small bulbs in- white Muscari and Thalia daffs- using a screwdriver to punch down through the frost, but that was it. I was hoping this weekend would be milder, but it's actually colder. I'll still cover the raised veggie beds with cardboard, held down with bricks, hoping to keep the weeds down. That worked reeally well last year. But no way I'll be able to plant the garlic. Oh well, another chore put off until spring. Sigh...
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 24, 2012
8:46 AM

Post #9341221

Gee, I would love to help dig - cough, cough, but I am waiting for 2 more lily plus other bulb shipments, due next week - maybe. Have 20 large containers ready - much easier than getting soil ready - but much more expensive. But no voles can get them and I can move them around. One lily made it through 2 winters and summers in a much smaller tub - so I thought this should work. I did not know where so many different lilies could go in the ground. I have no intention of moving plants around in the soil - been there before. Use to have horrible color clashes. I am not a great gardener but I do have perfect color vision.

It was 19 degrees this morning - hard to dig up soil for coming 5 daffodils and 50 muscari - if necessary they will go in a tub too. I planted old and new plants in the worst possible time of year but had no choice - new home - major drought, 107 degrees, now 19 degrees - oomph. I had a lot of help from a teenager or I would not have survived.

I will be looking for small Japanese maples next year - only have one so far. Not sure which ones to get but want dwarf, not too expensive, for shade, and fall foliage. Already experimented with dwarf conifers - getting there. In the spring I can get some splits from peonies I gave a relative a few years ago - then want one more I used to have. I will have a great garden next year. Back yard is 95% ready now. Front yard is about 80% ready (many tiny shrubs) - can get more plants next year. Removed a mirror from front yard bird feeding stations and finally inside cats can see outside birds again.

Time to rest up gardeners - you did a lot of work this year.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012
9:46 AM

Post #9341261

I will take the time to rest as that, not tomorrow but next Sunday long range forecast is predicting 50 degree weather that I can go for!! Will do some winter sowing and more pre- weed prevention if or when that weather happens.
I agree about this past season what weather pattern nature threw at all and every.!!
Did get garlic planted few others missed getting done, I get slow sometimes I admit it lol
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9341364

Has anyone tried planting garlic in the spring? Does it work? Or did I just miss it this year? I didn't pull all of this years plants, hoping they come back as clumps the way they did in zone 6... Maybe I can move some around? Always the optimist, lol!
Weerobin
Saint Louis, MO
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012
1:04 PM

Post #9341375

Good luck with your Aureum, rouge.
It's one of my all-time faves.
Pamper it ... it's worth it. I'm sure you'll love it!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2012
6:59 PM

Post #9341630

Still linning out trees and shrubs, got 1 more rose to get in but couldn't get the hole dug (had to water it til tomorrow...lol). Boy it was cloudy and a bit burry here today...hope tomorrow is better as I start getting perenns and iris in this week...Yeah!!!!! I can almost see my driveway...

Speaking of the Acer (maples), put 3 in the ground today, can hardly wait til spring as this is the only maple that is fragrant (Acer ginnala Burgundy). Maples are sooo pretty...

Pam...you can wait til a warmer day to get those in. Or put a black pot over the area where you want to plant (upside down, it will warm the soil for you, and do it later in the afternoon after the frost has left the ground...After all they don't go that deep. And yes, I've planted in the spring but didn't harvest til the following year. Bagged up some seed for you today, so far 12 goodies and sorry couldn't find the Asclepias, it died out a few years back so will have to regrow if I ever find more seeds. May have to order. Still have to find the centranthus I collected this fall might still be in the car...Geez...lol. If I ever get everything together it will be a miracle...lol.

pix 1 & 2: 220 Iris to get in...

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy         

Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 24, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9341651

Wow Kathy! I can't believe how much you've gotten planted so late- You must have been piling it all up for months! Don't worry about the asclepias or centranthus, sounds like you've found enough to keep me busy. Not to mention, I finally made a list of all the seeds I've collected, bought, had left over and got from the robin and trades... Yikes!!! It's endless! We're closing the house this weekend so I'll be doing all my early seed starting in the city, and I'll need a bigger apartment, lol.

I may try the garlic tomorrow, but if I don't get to it no big deal. I really want it for top growth for salads and pest discouragement, so even if the bulbs don't mature it will be fine. I did get the cardboard down on the raised beds.

Last fall I planted a few different types of columbine seeds, both in a container and in the ground, and nothing happened. I know it was unusually warm here in the winter, then there was a very dry spell, then a 2 week freeze...maybe they started to germinate then dried up? Or maybe not. In any case, I didn't disturb either place so maybe next spring I'll have a surprise... Or not...

I also sowed some lunaria and some allium afflatuense seeds, maybe something will happen with those. I can't really WS until the end of March when we come back here, which is good for cool weather annuals and a few other things, so I use the Deno method in the frig for most perennials. I keep trying to figure out how to hang a window box out the city window, but the ledge is an odd shape so it seems complicated. It would be really bad if it fell!

Happy planting, you all...

Pam

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 24, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9341658

Well my ascelpias syrica? Tall Green is opening pods now and sows itself. Something to make the butterflies happy !!
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 25, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9341893

I heard a podcast a couple of weeks ago about planting garlic in pots and, in some cases, even setting the pots outdoors for the winter. I think the recommendation was one garlic clove per pot. Heard it on "You Bet Your Garden" website. Some of you might be able to still plant garlic.
Pfg
(Pam) Warren, CT
(Zone 5b)

November 25, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9341919

In the end I did get the garlic in- 4 giant bulbs worth of cloves, lined the long edge of one bed and the short ends of 2 others. The pot idea sounds good too, but we're gone now. I wish I had done it before we left.. In the spring I want to move some around the roses and see if it helps with pests. It's too much to hope it would keep the beetles away, but maybe other uglies?!

All the hoses are in, clay pots, frig empty and unplugged, the plumber is coming tomorrow to shut it all down. A brief hiatus, then seed starting...

But I'll still be lurking, lol. Happy winter, everyone. Pam
DonnaMack
Elgin, IL
(Zone 5a)

November 25, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9341942

Congratulations Pam!

And Happy Winter to you and everyone on this wonderful thread!

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9343003

Here's what I did yesterday...168 pots..whew. Gosh I'm hoping to dig and plop this week...ran out of the tall germans (Iris), so will have to dig a few clumps to fill in some gaps...

Weather is holding...sorta, today will only reach 30*, cloudy and foggy and it's already after 1pm...tomorrow and the next 6 days in the 50-60*. Hoping to get them all in, this area had been rotilled to atleast 12" deep and two years in a row (so no roots from the grasses), boy am I glad tooo.

Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy   Thumbnail by warriorswisdomkathy      

carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
2:01 PM

Post #9343136

Only one of two lily orders came today (Van E) - hope other (B&D) is not lost. I easily planted 9 large tubs. My ears are frozen (they are predicting light snow?). I would not be able to dig in the ground. How do you dig when it is freezing? If I was tasked to plant a jillion plants, I would choose another hobby. ;) Did not plant daffodils and muscari from this shipment yet.

Yesterday, one of my 3 neighbors actually trimmed his 2 apple trees that hang over my fence and in the utility wires - that we (helper and I) partially trimmed. So that goes off my to-do list.

You all amaze me with your energy and knowledge. Will keep watching.
rouge21

(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
2:09 PM

Post #9343141

[quote="carolmo"]How do you dig when it is freezing? [/quote]

I find for my zone that it takes a bit of time before freezing temperatures translates into truly frozen ground.

juhur7

juhur7
Anderson, IN
(Zone 6a)

November 26, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9343146

Same here,, planted Daylilies today!! I love them around trees and shrubs ,makes it easy to mow!!lol
carolmo
Olathe, KS
(Zone 5a)

November 26, 2012
2:21 PM

Post #9343148

Good - I need to put 2 new fruit trees in a little deeper. Supposed to get warmer Thursday to Sunday. Can then plant the daffodils and muscari and maybe the remaining lily bulbs if they arrive soon.

Might go get ear muffs? Must stop ordering.
CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 26, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9343177

Would black plastic spread over your planting area keep the ground a little warmer, maybe keeping it from freezing?

warriorswisdomkathy

warriorswisdomkathy
Kiowa, CO
(Zone 5b)

November 26, 2012
3:14 PM

Post #9343199

yes cindy it would...
I wouldn't be able to dig today since there is moisture in the ground...but if I wait til it's a bit warmer then I'm able to dig...that's why I'm planting like crazy now as in a few weeks yikes, a pick axe would probably do the job...lol. We've also had a lack of truely cold weather which helps a bunch...plus the ground is still loose from the recent rerototilling.
When I get done planting if there is still time I will water for a few days to settle the soil. Also have found that by late in the afternoon when the sun goes behind the trees above me (I live toward the bottom of a hill), it's time to head in for the day as the soil gets COLD!!!!
So right now, this area is in full sun but I can only plant til about 3-3:30 in the afternoon, tho sunset is more toward 4:30ish.

one of my newbie Iris Denver Delight

CindyMzone5
Hobart, IN

November 27, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9343993

I bet it's heaven (except for the cold temps) to plant in nice fluffy rototilled ground. Sigh...

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Perennials Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Campanula Wonder Bells Blue Gloriaglolms 37 Apr 11, 2009 4:28 PM
Oriental Poppy Pops! Weezingreens 34 Jun 27, 2010 6:36 AM
BLUE FLOWERS Lori_Illinois 62 May 4, 2010 4:09 PM
Triple Roadside/Ditch lily OhioBreezy 21 Jul 9, 2011 6:56 PM
what are you sorry you planted.. thehumblebumble 279 Aug 12, 2012 4:28 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America