Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Mid-Atlantic Gardening: Fall swap at sallyg,,'s Part Two Discussion Thread

Communities > Forums > Mid-Atlantic Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Mid-Atlantic GardeningReplies: 262, Views: 1,614
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9251643

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272812/
We came from there with lively discussion of swaps!!
So please continue.
Yay !!!

HAVES and WANTS thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272810/

See my post about six more down for list of attendees, if I have it up to date, and let me know if I don't.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 9:29 AM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 23, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9251664

Hey Sally...I've lost track of who is coming (among other things) Can you list us all at the top of this new thread at some point? Thanks, and I stopped by last Sunday to visit robin at work, but she wasn't there. Are you babysitting her plants? Is all well with her?

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9251681

I have a couple of each of the following sages for the swap:

Pineapple Sage – Salvia Elegans – Tender perennial with bright red flower spikes in the fall. Full sun for best flowering. Bring inside for winter. See photo

Golden Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Aurea’. Two-tone leaves. See photo.

Sage Of Bath Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Sage Of Bath’. Blooms pink. See photo

Extracta Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Extracta’ High in essential oil content

Berggarten Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Berggarten’ Large-leaved

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99      
Click an image for an enlarged view.

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 23, 2012
6:46 PM

Post #9251704

Can I make a time request for the start? 11? If its a 12 o'clock I won't be able to meet everyone thoroughly and don't want to rudely dash off for my 5 o'clock wedding at turf valley.

I'm difficult what can I say!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
2:53 AM

Post #9251908

Hmmmm, good point Terp, I hadn't even thought about what time all the fun starts. LOL!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9252065

Greenthumb, Someday I want one of everything you have! Are all of your sages strictly full sun?

Fun?!? pre swap, swap, post swap, daffodil dig, seed swap, swap at Jan23 Sat after Mom's Day, tuffa two and on and on...Yea MidAtlantic !!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 24, 2012
7:25 AM

Post #9252076

Yep, you folks are really getting excited I see. I am too. Oh my gosh...such wonderful things that everyone is offering. I will attempt to update my haves and wants this weekend so I can see what kind of work I should be doing. Thus far, I have two pots of Prickly Pear ready for the two requests I have had so far.

Holly, I can do some Hens and Chicks for you now that you mentioned it. I have two special pots that I want to use for something else, so will take what is planted in them and get a pot going for you. I hope that I will have some takers for some regular wax Begonias that I started this year. Some how I have ended up with too many to bring indoors this winter and I would hate to see them die. I won't let that happen as they have really put out loads of beautiful blooms for me.

Can't recall at the moment other things, other than the quick growing Hawaiian Spiders that I also have loads of. Hoping some of you would like to have some of these too.

For now I will bid you all adieu. Hope the weekend is great for everyone.

Ruby

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9252079

Coleup - everything we grow survives in less than full sun. I don't think there is any spot in the yard that gets more than 3 hours of direct sun, but we have a lot of bright shade. All the sages I listed will bloom sooner and more profusely in full sun. Do you want some of the Salvias, or are you referring to all the selections I've posted?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
7:27 AM

Post #9252080

Attendees, if I am up to date:
Pippi- Betty and possibly DH
Askalon
aspenhill Terri
speediebean and friend
Chantell
Jan
flowerjen Jen boo hoo!
happy macomb Devon-
sgardener Terry
UMD Terp Paul
Catbird Robin
coleup Judy
Gitagal Gita (lol)
tmcghan Tom
Ruby and John
Holly and Ric
donnerville Sally
crittterologist Jill waah!
ecnlag and greenthumb Pat and David

So that's about 23 or so including me and Mark

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 7:59 AM

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 12:14 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9252089

Terp etc, I will be open for business by ten am how's that? I mean, really, my whole day will be around this anyway, and it's not a formal affair. Past swaps, Gita , Catbird and I rendezvous by 9 30 or ten anyway, for the drive.

When did Holly and Ric open up- eleven?

But everyone come when they can. Let's say we expect to eat --- one pm?? Cuz that's the Second (or third) most important thing. And many seem to want to get on the road again before dark so we are not holding the meal for "dinner"

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9252234

Jill--

I have a whole mini blind I can bring. The brackets up above broke, from all the pulling..
Had to buy a new one.

I was thinking anyway to bring it along...it is still strung, though. Maybe you can show us all how to
take apart a mini-blind??? Good!

Better than mini-blinds are the white. plastic, 3" wide vertical blinds. You can cut any size of markers from those...
You can inquire at your HD or Lowes in the Ffloor and W dept. and ask if they have any of the ends from these.
It is trash to them--good for us!
They cut all kinds of blinds for customers--free of charge.

Gita
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9252272

I had bought a brand new mini-blind at the Value Village thrift store months ago and I just opened it up and cut the strings yesterday. I was going to offer you some of mine but looks like Gita has got you covered! Gita, the lady that thinks ahead!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
12:28 PM

Post #9252322

I can't keep track but whoever is offering the elephant ears I have a few questions. I am a fan of caladiums BC of the color they offer and their size. Are there smaller elephant ears available? Is there a way to keep them smaller? Are there other varieties other than green. Clearly we all love green here but I like the contrast of the colors on the caladiums. Black and green?

New to the elephant ears.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
1:13 PM

Post #9252371

Thanks, Gita! I'm glad I didn't give in to the temptation to buy a new one just to take it apart. Disassembly is easy... just cut a couple of strings and start pulling the plastic vanes free. Good point about checking with stores for "scraps," too.

ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
1:43 PM

Post #9252389

I would appreciate any extra mini blinds from Gita or Pippi.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
2:03 PM

Post #9252416

Terp----

Now you are confusing me!!!! Maybe YOU have fallen into confusion as well...
I believe you think that Caladiums are the same as Nephtytis. Nope!
The leaves may look similar--but each is a different plant...

Caladiums grow from corms and have to be dug up and saved in a dormant state. (Here anyways).
Re potted in very early spring and need to germinate in VERY warm conditions. 80*-90*.
Bottom heat is what is needed. So, to get your Caladiums ready for the season--you will need a heat mat.

Nephtytis is a house plant, which some people call "Elephant Ears"...WRONG!!!
Nephtytis is a nice house plant that likes low light and comes in different shades of leaf color.
Green---pink---mauve...etc. It is semi-trailing. It goes by other names as well.
I will try to find you PF links to both. (Now I feel like coleup!)...

Found the PF link to "Caladiums". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Caladium&Search=Search PlantFiles

Nothing came up under "Nephtytis" in PF's...WHY???????

Here are Google images of Nephtytis...
[HYPERLINK@]

Gita

edited to say that the Google image did not come up with anything...
Please Google "Nephtytis" and when it comes up--click on "Images" in the top left toolbar.
You will have a zillion pictures of this plant to look at...

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 4:06 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9252432

Terp-
The Elephant ears having been discussed here are usually huge. But you can look at Caladium growers descriptions for large leafed ones, still smaller and yet leafier than ELephant ears, and get color too.

I'll set up a table for mini blinds and scissors, make all you want,-- and marker-- good for last minute labeling too.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
2:56 PM

Post #9252472

Sally, I won't be able to attend after all :(
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
3:13 PM

Post #9252502

I understand the diff between caladiums and ees. I was just using them as a reference. So how tall do they get? 4 foot? And you are just splitting bulbs?

Sally - I will be there bright and early.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
3:50 PM

Post #9252535

Terp, Paul

I live near Sally's and will be bringing an assortment of the ee s I have growing so you and others can see them first hand. There will be some to take home that day, or reserve for the Spring swap as I will overwinter mine and divide in spring. Holly has two types she is offering, 'portadora' and 'Illustris' and I have 'Black Stem' "Elena" and "Frydek". Yes, as sally says most are large leaved (as big as elephant ears! lol) and green. Some have patterns, some are almost black, and 'elena' is lime green, but that's pretty much it for colors. Since they are tropical plants many make great water feature plants and if you like poi, you can eat the tubers as they are a food crop for many around the world,...

If I were you, I would do a good look /see this fall and then pick up one or two at spring swap to try, and if they don't suit you...trade them back at the fall swap!!! lol Besides, who wants to attend a wedding with a car full of big leaved plants! Not mentioning any names here, but stranger things have happened with this great group.

Here we are able to try out lots of plants with all the advice and encouragement of those who have grow'd them before us with out having to bust out budgets to do so.

(Judy) coleup

I'll miss you FlowAjen!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9252550

Great idea Judy. I look forward to it. Im sure I'll give it a try

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9252581

Oh no Jen!
] : ^(

OK Paul- Ah I see where I misread your ee question. And yeah, but I doubt you will beat Gita that morning. tee hee

Yuppers-- I am about at the point where I'd be happy to give away some entire plants, cuz I know I can get em back if I want to.

flowAjen

flowAjen
central, NJ
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
5:07 PM

Post #9252602

I'll miss you all too!!!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9252618

Geez, Sally!
What time should I come to please Terp????

This is not a race-----I will aim for 9:30AM. How's that? Because i DO have plants for Him.
Will drag Tom out of bed if I have to...Not for real! Never been in his house--nor he in mine...

Do you need some more lawn chairs? I could bring several. Maybe tied on the roof of my car???
Have to leave some space for the plants...
This will NOT be anything close to the spring Swap! Mamma Mia!!!!!

Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
5:25 PM

Post #9252625

Geez, Gita!

I didn't SAY you have to come early. Ask Paul how long he can stay. And by the way, I think he's not all that far from me so if you have to leave something for him, I think it's not so bad for him to come back later.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 24, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9252678

I think if I left after lunch I would be comfortable. I was just curious when the start time was, I don't want to race. Everybody here knows that gardening is not a race. Well I guess it could be a marathon...

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
6:37 PM

Post #9252697

...marathon,,...Oh yeah for sure!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 24, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9252738

Speaking of labels and markers... Does anybody need either industrial black sharpie or silver sharpie markers? I can get pretty good prices on both if I get a box via Amazon... The "industrial" is FAR more fade resistant than regular sharpie marker, and the silver is great for marking plastic 6-packs and nursery pots... I've had the silver last 2 years or more (in my way sunny conditions) and still be legible, and the industrial Sharpie hasn't faded on anything yet that I've used it on. I may bring a set for the gift table, regardless, but I figured I'd ask also.

Also, I think I need more metal garden markers, and EON hasn't done a co-op for some time now... I checked their site at the beginning of summer, and they have switched to having a third party handle their orders & shipping while they continue to do the manufacturing... so I think that's the end of "stuff a flat rate shipping box" discounts. They do still have pretty significant discounts if you order 100 or (way better discount) 500 of a given marker... So if anybody else is "in the market" for markers, let me know, and we'll figure it out. PawPaw's prices are lower, but EON still seems to be getting better reviews for quality... I've used EON since I found them. I've played around with the color plates (available for maybe 3 years now) but seem to always come back to the basic zinc, although I think I've settled on purple markers for shrubs/trees and pink for vines (easier to see). I also like the pale green in the "natural" color series.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9253040

Jill---

I always grab your markers from the gift table...
I have a small, fun gift to put on the table for Joyanna. Yes! it's pink!
Fun--fun--fun...
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
7:14 AM

Post #9253047

Coleup, I think you offered an asparagus fern and an ostrich fern on the other page and I forgot to say yes. Thank you!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9253161

Well, Gita... let somebody else give them a try, next time! LOL Seriously, I'm glad you like them, because I think they're some of my most helpful garden "helpers!"

You're always so thoughtful with Joyanna -- thank you! The little curly spider you decorated for her has been outside all summer, hanging from the canopy on the deck, enjoying the sun & rain... I sprayed it with "PYM II" (my new favorite sealer), and it hasn't lost a sticker! We're redecorating her room with a garden theme... walls are grass green at the bottom, sky blue above so that all the pink and purple will show off to best advantage... and she's always on the lookout for pink plant pots and other accessories that she thinks her new room "really really super needs." *roll eyes*

I think a lot of what I'm sticking & starting now won't be ready until the spring swap, just as others have been mentioning. But please let me know if you're interested in thymes or oreganos... might be better to keep them in their little pots until they fill the pot with roots, but you could probably even stick the pot halfway into the ground where they'll go.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
11:58 AM

Post #9253325

Yes, Maam, Miz Jill...
I promise not to grab your pens this Swap...;o)

Is Teri coming? I have something I want to pass on to her--just for fun. Someone gave it to me--
but I have no use for it. I know exactly WHERE she needs to put it in her garden.

I may bring it and leave it with you--as I think you see each other now and then. Yes?

Will check my endless pot supply and see if I have something in pink. Not usable in MY house!
Many of the pots I collect at HD (from the plants getting trashed) are "decorative"...
Like for Orchids and Bromiliads, etc...Does Joyanna like any other colors that she thinks her room
"Really, really, super needs? " Maybe purples??? Greens? Not sure what all I have...

*******OH!!!!! OHHH!!!! I just thought of something I can make for her as a belated Birthday gift...
More fun---fun---fun...Have ALL these craft supplies just sitting around...YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*************:o))

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
12:07 PM

Post #9253335

Speaking of Birthdays...

Happy Birthday Roses!

Happy Birthday Bec of NoVa!

Hope your special day is simply marvelous!
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9253369

Is Teri(Aspen Hill) coming? She's been awfully quiet, she must be busy getting all her plants dug up and transplanted. Don't see her name on the list of guest.

My name either; not sure if DH is coming along or not.

Sally, the package with paper products/etc. should get to you Monday they said..Mailed it this am..

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9253543

So sorry Pippi! I added you. Thanks again for the box!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
3:12 PM

Post #9253547

Q from Chantell
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275727/
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 25, 2012
10:31 PM

Post #9253901

I haven't talked with Terri in a bit, need to check in with her... but yes, we do get together every so often even if there's no road trip involved!

Gita, you're a gem. Joyanna's favorite colors are pink & purple, but she'd probably go for anything with flowers, butterflies, polkadots... or anything light colored that she could embellish with pink & purple ceramic paints. We'll bring you a set of pens!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
10:00 PM

Post #9254931

I'm setting up a group so I can dmail addres and directions, so you folks can plan your travel. But right now I m going back to bed and try to sleep... will continue dmail within days.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 26, 2012
10:17 PM

Post #9254940

David - if there are some still avail may I have some of your Extracta Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Extracta’ please?
Jill - hand up for the "industrial" markers - let me know how much you need please
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 26, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9254949

Jill, I'd like 3 of the industrial markers, too. black please.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
4:52 AM

Post #9255071

Chantell - Done.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
5:40 AM

Post #9255124

Sally---

When you mail out directions--could you also include some directions on where people can park?
Only 3-4 cars will fit in your driveway----perhaps--the driveway should be left available for people
to unload their cars and then park on the street...somewhere...

OR--you can park all your cars a bit away--and leave the driveway and lower yard for Swap people to park on?

Up to you, of course...I am sure you have it all figured out. Gita

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9255132

Good point Gita, I will have to ask that the driveway be for loading and unloading and people who don't mind being blocked in. And then that the parking be along the straight part of the court- because the mail gets delivered to streetsde mailboxes around 1 pm. Inconveneint!

But feel free to use the entire front yard for moving or display of plants.

(anybody a fan of the movie Airplane! ? "The white zone is for loading and unlaoding only..."
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 27, 2012
10:25 AM

Post #9255558

Howdy, howdy all...Jen, I will miss your smiling face at the swap. There is always the US postal service if you see anything on my list that you would like to have. No problem mailing things at all...let me know. I find it kind of fun to mail plants and receive plants through the mail. Always some excitement when that occurs.

Happy Birthday Roses...

Paul, we will most likely be some of the later arriving folks. Should we miss seeing you before you leave, do I leave the things I have for you at Sally's, or will you appoint someone else to hold on to things you might miss?

When I finish this post I will be going to edit my HAVES and WANTS list. I encourage you folks to check it out and put in any requests you might have and also check and see if I am correct on the requests I have made with some of you. Thank folks...as always...I think you all are the very best!!!

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 27, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9255571

Alrighty now...list is updated. I have added some garden plants as well as house plants and hopefully have listed all promised requests that have been made so far. I realized that I need to make my own requests too as the only person(s) I have yet communicated with are Holly and Gita. Expect dmails: ssgardener, Terp and Donnerville. Jill, will be writing you also.

Hope everyone is having a groovy kind of day.

Ruby
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 27, 2012
10:45 AM

Post #9255580

OMG!!!!! Did I forget to wish Bec_No_Va a happy birthday? I think I did and wanted to say that I hope the upcoming year will definitely be one of your very best ever. You really rule!!!!

Ruby
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9255586

Ruby,

Hopefully I don't miss you. But I am going to make a trip back the following day anyway as I am sure I won't have time to tend to everything that Saturday. Sally has graciously offered to keep a watchful green eye on them until I can return on Sunday.

I can't wait to meet everyone even though I can't be there the entire day.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
4:00 PM

Post #9256075

Holly, could I please get a start of your 'Blue Mouse Ears' hosta? And if you still have an extra 'Illustrus', I'd love to pair it with the 'Black Stem' from Coleup... in fact, I have an extra 'Black Stem' if you'd like it.

Polymer Moisture Crystals !!

I also realized I need to to order more of these, might as well do it before the swap. I usually buy 10 pounds at a time from watersorb.com, which makes it $7 per pound, including shipping. If there's enough interest, I can order a 55 pound box of the medium size, not sure how much it will be with shipping, but it'll be less than $7. Compare with the price of SoilMoist -- recently I've seen 8 oz. (1/2 pound) for $7 and 3 pounds for $29. The medium size is also what people use to make "cool ties." Additionally, I could order 2 pounds of the powder (a little goes a really long way; I make a "slush" from it for dipping roots before planting or shipping) and probably 2 pounds of the large crystals (I like to throw a few in the hole with shrubs/trees)... if you want some, they'll be $5 for half a pound (or better price if more people want them).

If you're interested, please post on this thread or Dmail me and let me know how many pounds you want... I'll assume "medium" (regular) size unless you say otherwise. A pound will go a long way. I use it when I plant out in the garden as well as in pots & containers. See my DG article for details if you're new to using these crystals: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/1092/

Since I don't think I'll be bringing a ton of plants this time, I figured I'd contribute by offering a couple of "group purchase" savings (so far, water crystals & marking pens).

UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
4:08 PM

Post #9256095

My yellow french iris still needs a home. 3 foot tall, spreads at a slow rate, easy to control at least in my backyard. Mine performs well in part shade, 4 hours midday. I'm going to pot it and bring it, it is not coming home with me

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
4:33 PM

Post #9256121

ssgardener---
I would like to have a baby Jade Plant that you offered. Thanks! Gita

Sally--I will dig up a bunch of Foxgloves. My neighbor's long bed is full of them!
Hate to go outside in this weather--it is sooo hot! I KNOW it will all come down to a last minute crunch!
Then--I will have no one else but myself to blame...

Gita
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9256153

Gita, I'm so glad I have something to offer you! You've been so generous with your plants with me.

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9256158

Judy, Thank you for offering a blue hosta.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9256214

Surely someone will be tempted by a yellow french iris...Even me, if I can get rid of some of my current iris LOL.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9256334

You all might add to your directions:
Exit 12 on route 97 is also labeled for Business 3 and 'to Veteran's Highway'. As you get down the ramp, the sign points left for Veterans Highway and that is the way you will go (Not right to newcut road)

Clear as mud? Oh I forgot to add my phone numbers --new email will go out for that.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9256657

Jill - raising hand for crystals - would be thrilled with med sized and the powder (didn't even know that was avail)...thank you, thank you!! Please let me know what I'll owe you in addition to a couple of markers. You ROCK!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2012
6:42 AM

Post #9256705

Dmailed you, Chantell. Hit a deal last night on Amazon and got fine point (regular) and extra-fine point industrial sharpies for 75 cents apiece. *big grin* Still looking for a better deal on the silver ones (although anything less than $2 is better than buying them 1 or 2 at a time).

Chantell, can I send a plant back with you for Becky? I got a couple of small divisions from my 'Purple Paw Print' DL, and she definitely needs one. :-)

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9256793

absolutely, Jill!!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9256812

What do you use the crystals for?!?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
8:36 AM

Post #9256847

terp - among other things helps with your plants that are extra thirsty or new plants that you want to maintain a constant moisture with. Check out Jill's link to her article in her post above. Her explanation will be much better than my Cliff Notes version
rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 28, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9256880

Great article Jill...you talked me in to it. Please put me down for a pound of it. I find it very exciting to come and read everyone's comments. Seems like every one is really excited about getting together and swapping plants again. One of my favorite things to do each spring and fall.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
3:57 PM

Post #9257481

Jilll---

******Just talked to my neighbor, Olga--and she would LOVE---LOVE a Sweet Bay shrub start,

SO! PLEASE save one for me to give to her...make it a well established one--
because she will not know how to "baby" a new one to maturity.

After all--you are all getting Fig Starts from her...so even-Steven...

Thanks, Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
4:48 PM

Post #9257523

Jill,

I'll give these magical crystals a try, I'm good for 2 pounds of the crystals and a half pound of the powder.

Paul

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
6:26 PM

Post #9257644

Paul---

One thing you need to know about the "water crystals" is that--you need t soak them in water
to fully hydrate them before you mix them in the soil to plant a plant.

WHY????? Because--IF you do not--they will suck every bit of moisture out if the soil you are
planting the plant in. It is better to have them fully hydrated before you mix them into any potting soil...

Think "wicking"...Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:13 PM

Post #9257702

OK great. Thanks for the heads up.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
9:27 PM

Post #9257828

Or it causes a soil volcanic like eruption once watered completely...not that I'd know from first hand experience mind you...LOL

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 11:27 PM

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
4:59 AM

Post #9257945

VERY late to the party, but count me in! I've been MIA from DG for July and August, but just KNEW you guys were up to some fun!!! Glad I checked before I completely missed the upcoming event at Sally's. I'll have to spend some time catching up on the threads. Can't wait to see everyone again.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
6:47 AM

Post #9258012

Glad you are coming, Terri!
Will your brother be there too?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
7:06 AM

Post #9258027

Woot, woot!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9258082

My friend Theresa is the one with the brother (Tom) who joins us sometimes... and she's not sure if she'll be able to come that day or not.

Glad Terri resurfaced before I had to send out the search dogs!

Gita, I will check the status of the 2 bay cuttings at swap time... if one isn't yet "well established" I'll baby it until the next time I see you (seed swap, or before).

ecnalg

ecnalg
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
9:50 AM

Post #9258219

Great news, Terri!!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
10:31 AM

Post #9258279

Yea Terri!! Hugs

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
12:21 PM

Post #9258365

Jill, will you put me down for a pound of the medium crystals too? Thank you.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
12:53 PM

Post #9258397

I'm adding coir http://yourorganicgardeningblog.com/organic-garden-unlock-the-secret-of-coir-best-alternative-to-any-growing-media/ to my 'haves' list. I have a huge block that I got (might have been a group buy) years ago. I'm happy to bring it with me if there's an interest and y'all help break it up. I can bring my little saw thingie.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9258412

I would definitely take some coir...I use peat moss and perlite for my cuttings might be nice to find a more sustainable alternative to peat. Have to look into cost

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9258436

Well I'll bring my plymouth rock of it and divi it up between those that would like to try it. This will give those interested a chance to see if they like it prior to ordering any. The type I have is the type used for plants not reptiles - so no worries re salt content.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
1:26 PM

Post #9258441

That'd be great. Another experiment!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
6:28 PM

Post #9258797

Nuts. Rats. Dang. Phooey. I might not be able to make it to the swap after all. Jim has a possible break in his work schedule around that weekend, and I think we're going to try to see his folks then. I really really want to go to the swap, but I also really really love my in-laws, and they could definitely use a visit sooner rather than later. And Jim needs a break in the worst way (the past couple weeks have been all late nights and unpaid overtime), and if he doesn't actually leave town he won't end up taking time off. So... phooey. I can be a good wife and daughter, if I have to, I suppose... (JK)... but rats on the timing!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
6:32 PM

Post #9258801

wanted to add... no worries about the moisture crystals & pens... I'll send them along with Terri or drop them off with somebody.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
6:44 PM

Post #9258809

(((((JILL!!!!))))) Course you know we understand...ok, sorta kinda like...but a swap w/o a critter is like...well...just not the same!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 29, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9258827

It's like a swap without Tweedledee & Tweedledum both in attendance! We will just have to find another excuse to get together sooner rather than later. I'm at the "sorta kinda like" stage of being understanding about it also, but sometimes you just end up missing out on stuff because of other stuff... And I know I can grumble to you guys without anybody thinking I'm an ungrateful DIL!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9258944

'Ungrateful' would be the LAST word I would ever use to describe you. Sounds like sushi is in our near future...mmmmmm
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2012
6:15 AM

Post #9259079

So totally understand the sooner rather than later and also the need for Jim to actually leave town or he wouldn't take a break. We will definitely miss you.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9259111

Thanks, everybody. Jim did say it was my choice, given that this has been on my calendar for a long time, but even when I was still making faces at the timing I had to figure, family first. I'll just have to make sure we have a nursery-hopping expedition while we're there. Because, you know, I don't have enough plants ROFL.

I'll take a look down this thread and see what I've promised that I can dig/pot/send, but I'm also going to have a "push" to get some of my own things in the ground before we go. I might be handing plants out from the back of my car at the "Think Spring!" seed swap. LOL And anything I've asked for... no worries, I can wait for another time.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012

Post #9259261

Jill, I'm sure I speak for all...no worries about promised plants. You take care of yours and make sure you three have a great time!! Hugs
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 30, 2012
9:30 AM

Post #9259307

Chantell wrote:Jill, I'm sure I speak for all...no worries about promised plants. You take care of yours and make sure you three have a great time!! Hugs

Ditto ditto ditto!

The plants we nurture today are the plants we can pass-along tomorrow as you and so many others so amply demonstrate...like having a whole posse of personal plant procurers and propagators looking out for us in the big wild wonderful world of plants!!

Is there a bumper sticker that says "This vehicle stops for plants" ? Should be. I suspect there isn't one that says "I stop for Fragrant Plants" or. "I stop for Plants MY Gardening Buddies Will Love"

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 30, 2012
12:54 PM

Post #9259514

Hedeeee-Heee----on that topic...

I once saw a bumper sticker on a car--YEARS ago---that said:

"This car will not stop for anyone...It is constipated"...Will never forget that...+

Gita

correction-----"This car will not PASS anyone...It is constipated..."

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 9:00 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
6:40 PM

Post #9259884

Hmm, sure it wasn't "This car won't GO for anyone / It is constipated"... ?

I love "I stop for Plants my gardening buddies will love." I have started looking over nursery clearance tables with more than just myself or my MIL in mind!

rubyw
Crozet, VA

August 31, 2012
7:17 AM

Post #9260298

Yep Jill, you will definitely be missed at the swap, but we all understand. I spent a bit of time this past week getting things together that folks have asked for. John has also been digging and potting up some of the larger outside plants too. Fun, fun, fun...and food and friends too, can't ask for any thing better than that. Looking forward to seeing you all very soon.

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
7:34 AM

Post #9260307

I have (snif snif) crossed out the J Crew for this event (sniffle snif)
LOL
I know you'll feel good about that visit.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 31, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9260821

Chantell wrote:Jill, I'm sure I speak for all...no worries about promised plants. You take care of yours and make sure you three have a great time!! Hugs

I have to second this... or, is it "third" this, I couldn't have said it better myself!! "Family First" FOR SURE! < =)
I've got your name on a couple things, so I'll take loving care of them for you until I can get 'em to you... unless there's someone who can pass 'em along to you at a slightly later date? I'll bring 'em along just in case. =)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

August 31, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9260836

Jill---

SO???? Who should i pass Joyanna's late B-Day present to-- that I made????
I will wrap it--probably in a B-Day bag--and want to leave it with someone you will, definitely, see.
Good old Terri??????

Will miss you too! Gita
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

August 31, 2012
9:39 PM

Post #9261137

I'm sure either Terri or Pat & David will bring Joyanna's gift to her, Gita... or you could hang onto it until you see her next, so you can watch her open it (I'm sorry you missed seeing her face when I brought the spider plant home... one look at all the pretty stickers on the pot, and she was sure that plant was hers!)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9261282

Will give it to either David and pat or Terri.

Would you like me to take a picture and send it to you via a D-mail???
It is MOST colorful!!! Soft---long--"weird" in a way--one of a kind...

Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9261296

@%#@$@^%@ Just lost my fairly long post. So lets start over. First I missed the move to the new thread and was wondering why there was no Swap Chatter, then when I finally realized my error my Monitor when out so I am now playing catch up.

Ruby, Yes please to the Hens and Chicks also I would take some Prickly Pear if you have any left.

Terp, The EE's I am offering are Portadora Aloisia they get huge, plant is about 5-6ft with 3ft leaves. Also Imperial Taro Illustris very pretty but they won't give you a solid color backdrop for you calaiums.
If you haven't found a home for that French Iris I would be very interested. Do you have a picture of it?

Critter, Yes to the Mouse Ears and Illustris and I would love your Black Stem. I'll take 2 lbs of the water crystals. We are really going to miss you at the swap but I know you will have a great time with Jim's parents. They probably need to see you all as much as Jim needs a break.

So I haven't gotten many requests for plants and I would appreciate if everyone would check out my Haves list and make sure your requests are marked on it. I need to take some time to sit down and check out all the offerings myself.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9261348

Who was it that wanted some of the Alabama Sunset Coleus???

Was it speedie---or was it ssgardener? I have potted up cuttings for whichever of you wanted them.
Can do a few extra ones too. Still have my own to go...
.I only have about 6 different Coleus this year. Do not know names...
Not all of them made it from last year. Too bad--I had so many! I think I waited too long to take the cuttings...

ALL my Wandering Jew pots are growing gang-busters--as one would expect. let me know if more of you
want some. Will put it on my list...Or--those who have already asked for one--please take TWO.
Same for the Swedish Ivy pots--got a tray-full...I will bring extras of both.

Have 6 large AW begonias--only ONE request! from ssgardener...Wassup?

Terp--Your Dr. Seuss plant is getting big! It liked re-potting..is now in an 8" pot...

1--My Dr. Seuss
2--Curly Spider plant--have lots of potted babies growing...
3--Terp--Here is my monster Wintersweet Shrub--I cut it back in late 2010--
and it has now doubled in size. it IS close to 15 or 16 years old!
4--Blushing Suzy vine--moved it to more sun--still NO blooms...
5--Terp--here is your Dr. S. Brug.

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
7:47 AM

Post #9261350

Oh I forgot to mention that I had lists in my LapTop of my Plant Swap requests and when that crashed I lost the list so if I ask again for plants or if you don't find your name in my Haves Wants post you will know why.

Sally I would like some of your Liriope- variegated and a Tropical hibiscus if you have one left.

Donner, I would like some of your Agastache 'Golden Jubilee' and Veronica 'Royal Candles' . I have a Gold Zebra Heucherella for you if it survives the dividing process. Would you like a Blue Mouse Ears?

Terp, Do you still have the lavender azalea avaiable, If so I would like it. I have a huge approx 3ft solid green hosta and an very old variety of variegated hosta. Would you like either of them?

Coleup, Ostrich Fern please if you still have some.

Speedie, Just noticed you are also looking for hosta, I will bring some just not sure which ones.

There were several people offering Figs and I would like one for my son Jamie. Any type would be fine for him if there are any left?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
4:05 PM

Post #9261743

Gita, I'd like a wandering jew, please, and that was me who wanted that beautiful coleus! I'll take an extra AW begonia if no one else claims it!
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
4:24 PM

Post #9261777

Ric put together a list, not sure these are still avaiable but if they are we would like them.
SallyG
Baby Sycamore tree- 4Jamie

SSGardner
ajuga Chocolate Chip

Coleup
any blueberry bushes left. I told Ric I thought they were all spoken for.

Gita
Endless Summer Hydrangea-- I'm limbing up a few Evergreens and putting in a new shade bed.

Greenthumb
Browallia speciosa – American Bush Violet

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9261790

Yes holly...er ric...er jamie...happy to oblige
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 1, 2012
5:56 PM

Post #9261872

Holly, I got you down for the ajuga.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 1, 2012
6:50 PM

Post #9261917

Thanks guys.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:15 AM

Post #9262073

OK on all requests from everyone. You got it! Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
6:13 AM

Post #9262135

Gita- I'll find a home for an AW, and alabama sunset! Your pictures look great.

HollyAnnS - The lavender azalea is all yours!! I would be interested in the Imperial Taro Illustris, and I do not have a picture of the french and nobody has claimed it outright. I can take a picture if you'd like.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 8:16 AM
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2012
6:28 AM

Post #9262164

Thanks Terp, I'll set an Illustris back for you. I don't have many yellow iris I'd love to see what it looks like, is it a bearded iris?
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
6:29 AM

Post #9262165

Sally, I'd love 2 of your San Moonglow and a gigante parsley seedling.

Coleus, did I already ask for your ostrich fern?

Greenthumb, I'd like a pineapple sage as well.

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 2, 2012
6:55 AM

Post #9262205

There we go...some good swapping going on. Excitement in the air for sure. I was thinking early on that I wouldn't be bringing too very much home this swap, but as time passes, I see that my request list keeps growing and the car will most likely be just as loaded down as it always is after one of these gigs. Got to love it, for sure.

Anyway...here is hoping that everyone has a great Sunday and a good week coming up. Won't be too long now...

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9262279

SSG gotcha- I made two more pots of those the other day! And parsley seedlings, are hanging in there- afraid I've been overwatering though. I've become one of those who sees the tiny seedlings and has to add a bit of water. Smack my hand!
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
10:03 AM

Post #9262402

Attention all Garlic Lovers

Sally and I met up with Garlic Man at Farmers Mart on Sat. He's been growing garlic on a large scale for almost 10myears on a half acre. Of the nine varieties he grows, the following will be available at our swap. Eat them or grow them or both!

Elephant Garlic $2

Hardnecks
Chesnok Red $.75
Music $.75
German White $.75

Softnecks
Oregon Blue $.75
Wiiamette $.25

I'll start a separate Garlic Lovers thread with some info on each variety and some general info on planting and growing garlic round here.
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278258/

Thumbnail by coleup   Thumbnail by coleup         

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9262604

Adding to Haves List

One well rooted Acuba start

2 gal pots Yarrow: Achillia 'Laura' --- Speedie?
[HYPERLINK@www.nicholsgardennursery.com]

2 gal pots cone flower Echinacea 'White Swan' --- Speedie

2 pots Clematis (blue flower)

Saved seeds of mini Columbine

Food Grade plain white 5 gal plastic buckets with lids (limited supply but more by Spring) Can be used for long term storage of food

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 7:35 PM
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9262718

Ooh, coleup, I'd love a 5 gallon plastic bucket! I need a dedicated bucket for the local starbucks. They save their grounds for me, but I need to leave a bucket with them.

Do you think I could leave the clematis in the container over winter?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
4:42 PM

Post #9262724

I am keeping tabs of everything you all have asked for--but have not had the time to actually add
them to my "Haves and Wants" list on that same thread.
If you are lurking to see if i have everything you asked for there--NOT YET!
I do on a piece of paper...

The table of Purple Coneflowers" (Echinacea) at work are approaching the dumpster day soon.
IF they are still there wed. (the next day i work) I can cut off oodles of the spent blooms
and you all can dig out the seeds--there will be 100's in just 2-3 heads.
They are getting SOOOO dry, that all you have to do is brush the heads with a dull knife,
and all the seeds will jump out. They are hiiiiding in there----for you to fiiiind!

Let me know...

Here's a repeat "show" of where they are and what they look like...

Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal   Thumbnail by Gitagal

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
5:13 PM

Post #9262747

Happy, could I have a jewel weed please?

I haven't planned very well for this swap. Sorry. Next May at my house I'll be better prepared to share things. I have shovels, so things could be dug when you come also, if so desired and there are more than one of a plant.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
8:34 PM

Post #9262923

Jan - no worries...you know we're all just happy for an excuse to get together - talk plants - and eat...LOL

Judy - is the white swan fragrant? You rock re the garlic...going to the other thread to read up!!
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 3, 2012
6:38 AM

Post #9263129

Wanted to add that we have loads of Black Eyed Susan to share if anyone is interested. They seem to have taken over this year for some reason. These and earlier Rose Campion were almost the only things visible in our very neglected front bed. I hope I have some takers. Anyway, as always...looking forward to seeing everyone very soon.

Ruby

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
6:41 AM

Post #9263130

Sally--

Was it YOU who said, wayyy back, that you did not know what a "Tree Philodendron" looks like?
Someone did...

We have some of these at the HD--in 10", black nursery pots...$12.98.
I think there are 2 left.
I can pick one up...if they are still there...

Gita
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 3, 2012
7:23 AM

Post #9263181

Happy-

I would love to try the tinatia, wood poppy and eco running tapestry. Great shade plants!

Sally - if there is more moon glow I would like one.

This message was edited Sep 4, 2012 8:55 AM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 3, 2012
1:03 PM

Post #9263522

Gita, NOT me.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 4, 2012
9:21 AM

Post #9264532

Aw heck...where are the chatters? All worn out from a long weekend? Heck, the only thing different about it being a holiday for us is that the mail didn't run. hahaha The cookout will be today.

Speaking of swaps, I wanted to share two pics of something I have never seen before. I happened to get the plant from coleup at Holly and Ric's and wanted to share what bloomed on Saturday. I didn't know that Elephant Ears bloomed, but I now I know differently. Such a surprise and such fun.

Ruby

Thumbnail by rubyw   Thumbnail by rubyw         

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9264549

Ruby---

I believe those "blooms" are called "scapes'...not real blooms...
Same as on a Peace Lily, a Caladium, and some Philodendrons...
G.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9264577

Close Gita! They are called spathes.

All of my 'black stems' have bloomed or are blooming now. Some taro spathes are 'fragrant'. Enjoy your garden full of surprises and keep that camera handy!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
10:04 AM

Post #9264600

Ruby, I called them blooms too! Who knew, thanks Gita/Coleup
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 4, 2012

Post #9264632

Ruby, the oneed you have is Colocasia 'fontanesei' and the blooming spathe is supposed to smell like papaya! Going out to smell mine now.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
2:20 PM

Post #9264823

Thanks for the correction, coleup! At least I got thr first letter right!..."S"...

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
9:36 PM

Post #9265344

My apologies - I will not have the Plumeria avail for this swap - but will for spring. After referring to my old notes - it looks like it will be better to take the cutting(s) in spring. I'd meant to post this earlier and well...doesn't look like I did.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 5, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9265739

Thanks ladies...Cole, do you happen to have an extra Colocasia fontanesei? I can give it a good home, promise.

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
12:26 PM

Post #9265953

UMD and Jan, I have you covered.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 5, 2012
8:41 PM

Post #9266531

Anyone interested in Rose scented Geranium cuttings? I may have another 'flavor' - need to check outside...ummm tomorrow - not fighting slugs now...ewwww. Are they easy to root...anyone know? The plant - not the slugs...

Also have more Passi babies popping up...should I have missed anyone last May LOL

This message was edited Sep 5, 2012 10:42 PM
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
3:56 AM

Post #9266679

Sallyg
Was reading through the Haves and Wants lists last night and noticed again your request for design advice
DESIGN ADVICE for my backyard. Perennial sunny bed is 90% horrible, veg garden like to expand, am I on right track with woodland area...

Have you had a chance to consider the hows and whens of any advice any of us can bring to the swap and share with you? Tell us more Please and Thanks

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9266837

Here is advice from Martha Stewart, via the HD "Garden Club" on how to overwinter your Geraniums.

YES! Martha has "invaded" HD products already all summer...Patio products, tables, chairs, desks, shelving, etc...
Her previous attempt at having HD carry her line of paints did not fare that well. That was discontinued...
This Lady never quits!

Overwintering Geraniums How-To
Posted by: Martha Stewart on September 5th, 2012 | 47 Comments

Martha Overwintering Geraniums

At the end of the season, if you have a really special geranium, it’s nice to be able to save it for next year. There are a lot of ideas for how to save that special geranium.

1. The best method is to root a new cutting for new, fresh growth. Even with a cutting, you have the chance of carrying over any health problems. But you do have new growth, as opposed to the older, woody stems. The best time to take the cuttings is at the end of August or early September.

2. To take a cutting, use a clean, disinfected knife (we use a solution of one part bleach to eight parts water) between cuttings on different plants to avoid spreading any bacteria or fungus. Remove the excess leaves and the stipules on the stem. (A stipule is a little outgrowth from the base of the stem).

3. Stick the cutting in rooting media (Joe and Matt like to use Jiffy 7 — peat pellets). You can also use an oasis, coarse sand, or perlite as a medium. Water and mist the cuttings. Light should be indirect while rooting and full sun when in bloom. Check for roots by giving the cutting a little tug. They’ll start to root in about two weeks. Pot them up about four weeks after taking the cutting.

4. If the cuttings don’t take or frost comes too early, you can overwinter the whole plant. Cut the plant back hard, repot it in fresh soil, and keep it in the sunniest spot available. Use fresh soil because the old soil will be leached of nutrients. Don’t overwater or feed through winter — watering about once a week should be good depending on your light conditions. Cut back any spindly growth in the beginning of March to have bushy plants to put out in May. Don’t start feeding until the plants are put out in the spring.

Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012

Post #9267070

Hey, Gita..Martha's smiling all the way to the bank though and we're not!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 6, 2012
2:17 PM

Post #9267245

"Rose" is one that will occasionally even root in water for me, so it should be one of the easier ones to root in moist potting mix, stick a baggie over it until it roots, stick a chopstick in with it so the plastic doesn't touch the leasves... oh, what am I doing, I should just give you this link: http://davesgarden.com/guides/articles/view/2930/

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9267459

Great instructions...thanks all!! Soooo anyone in 'need' of cuttings?
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
6:36 PM

Post #9267484

Cuttings of what?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 6, 2012
7:19 PM

Post #9267533

Scented Geraniums - I have rose scented...actually I need to verify...might be Lemon Rose...Jill posted her link to her article on 'how to root' article
Pippi21
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
3:04 AM

Post #9267703

Chantell, if there are any more scented geranium cuttings, I would love to try a cutting. If they are all spoken for, no problem. There's always next year..

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
6:18 AM

Post #9267797

Calling all kids
I am welcoming your guests of all ages! So far I think we have an 11 yr old boy and a 4 yr old girl coming to add to the fun!! There are a couple swings in the yard, a nice dog, two cats, and remnants of past kiddies ( assorted leftover toys, balls, etc) that they are welcome to enjoy.
(Or just come yourself and act immature lol)

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 7, 2012
6:30 AM

Post #9267804

I am in for the acting immature. hahaha

Chantell, I would love to have some of the Geranium cuttings...please and thanks.

You folks all have a great weekend ahead.

Ruby
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9267846

Chantell I would like to try a cutting of the scented geranium.

Pippi- I put your Persian shield in this cutting. I did five cuttings and can do more if needed.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 7, 2012

Post #9267853

I too would love to have some Persian Shield cuttings from either Gita or Paul if either still have plenty. Thanks ya'll.

Ruby
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
7:28 AM

Post #9267861

Ruby - I'll stick some more in on Sunday. I'm out of town until then.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9267875

I have 2 Persian Shield plants if anyone wants them. Then you can take your own cuttings!

Ruby, would you like one to go along with your requested ee 'fontanesei'?

Last call for garlic bulbs
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1278258/

Sally and Gita if no trouble, I would like any daffodil or other Spring bulbs you might have available. Thanks.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
8:14 AM

Post #9267903

I for one believe we should behave like the adults we are (LMBO - ducking and hiding)

Sally - thank you again...I will be calling my sis to ask if my nephew (the 11 y.o.) would like to come with.

Let's see I have the following for the scented geranium cuttings: Pippi, Ruby and Terp...did I miss anyone?
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9267904

Immature? Us? I resemble that remark!!! Hehehe

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9268074

Jan--My Ex hubby always used to say that-----

"Hey! Watch it! I resemble that!"...Gita

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9268325

It is odd that I have neither seen or heard from Tom (the new guy up the street) coming to the Swap with me.

I have called twice and left messages. Nada!
Today I stopped over--rang the doorbell 3 times--Nada! Walked around the house and behind it.
Dead plants all over. Potted plants completely wilted.
Wrote a note for him to call me or come by and put it in his mail box. We will see...

He may be out of town? On a trip or something...definitely has not been home a while.
Both cars are there, though..
Well! Lets hope everything is all right. Gita

This message was edited Sep 7, 2012 8:18 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 7, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9268397

Gita I will dmail you about that ? mock orange
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
6:13 PM

Post #9268439

Gita, I join you in hoping Tom is OK and it's just the plants that are having hard times at his place!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 7, 2012

Post #9268448

Yes--I do to.
I think he has grown, married kids. Might have gone on a visit over the Holidays.
Do not know much about him, to be honest...Only met him that one time.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 8, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9268870

Thank you Coleup for the offer of the Persion Shield... I will take it. So, Paul no Persian Shield cuttings are needed for me. Save yourself some work. I tried over wintering the persian shield one year but lost it. So, the best way is to take cuttings and root them? Who has experience with this? I do not feel like back tracking and reading what has already been said about this and hope that you all will indulge me by allowing someone who has had success with these to re-address the issue. Thanks all.

Won't be long now...a week from now and Sally's home will be bustling with some busy bees unloading their goods to be shared. It is always such an exciting time. I can't wait to see all the lovelies that every one is sharing. I always see things at the swap that didn't entice me when written on paper, but after seeing the actual plant, I usually want a few that I didn't know I did beforehand. Oh gosh...I thought I was going to come home with less things this time, but if folks keep adding such lovelies, my car will be as full as ever.

Anyway...hope that everyone is having a great day.

Ruby
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 8, 2012
4:38 PM

Post #9269263

One week away!! Yippee

Good thoughts for Tom
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
2:31 PM

Post #9270039

Holly, what kind of large hydrangeas are they? I'm definitely interested!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
5:46 PM

Post #9270196

All: I will most likely be bring my 11 yo nephew who is like a sponge when it comes to plants. All he wanted from me for his bday was a Banana plant...yes he's THAT excited about them. The banana has quadrupled in size and he loved the aloe I gave him as well. Logan likes the interesting and unique (he isn't preoccupied as I with searching out the fragrant or medicinal)...as he puts it 'exotic' - which of course is a subjective term to many of us...LOL. So if anyone needs a home for something unique please keep him in mind. I know how generous this family is - so please remember I also have a compact car...LOL!!! If any of you are knowledgeable about the subject of bonsai please let me know - as I told him that wasn't something I was overly familiar with. I'll know for sure by Wed if he's coming or not. Can't wait to see everyone!!
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
7:20 PM

Post #9270310

Holly- if you have some to spare could you bring some choco mint, horseradish and lemon. And the sweet woodruff is it terribly invasive? Hard to manage?
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
7:46 PM

Post #9270343

Terp, if you're still thinking about coming up to help dig/thin daffodils, I can fix you up with all the chocolate peppermint you'd like... it's all along one side of my driveway! Don't leave without Kentucky Colonel spearmint, also. LOL Once you've got mint, you've got it (at least if you've planted it in the ground... I have managed to lose potted mints).

The Sweet Woodruff I have is spreading fairly gradually (I've helped it along by taking divisions and planting them around that bed). It seems quite shallow rooted... not thuggish at all, in my opinion. It hasn't "smothered" anything, either (it has daffs, daylilies, agastaches, and some geraniums for companions).

I "scored" a half price Ceylon Cinnamon tree at DPF yesterday... needs pruning back because of some minor damage, so I'm hoping to succeed in rooting some cuttings. I'll definitely put your and/or Logan's name on one if I succeed, Chantell! Also.. do you have night blooming jasmine? I got a big one at the DPF sale, could try bending a few stems down for layering when I pot it up. It smells soooo good!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 9, 2012
8:01 PM

Post #9270354

Jill!!! A cinnamon tree?! I am SO jealous!! Don't suppose they had more? LOL Ohhh NBJ - didn't think about that. My 4-5 yr old is over 6 ft - didn't get a lot of blooms since I foolishly pruned it last fall/winter...ugh...live and learn, right? No worries about bending yours - I'll see what I can accomplish with the one I have. Very good idea - thank you!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 9, 2012
10:50 PM

Post #9270420

Chantell, there was another, but it wasn't bouncing back very well yet. I'm going to chat up the buyer again before the winter trip to FL... maybe they can find us some allspice trees, what? :-)

Thanks for the tip, I won't prune my NBJ! It's blooming a few sprigs now... Joyanna adores it, also, keeps sticking her face into the lowest sprig. It's pretty tall, a good 5 feet. I debated between this one, with 3 smaller diameter stems at the base vs. another with a single larger "trunk"... decided i liked the shape of this one, very open upright vase shaped plant, sturdy enough that it's more of a shrub than a vine (no support). Also, this one was budding nicely. LOL

I figure I'll keep chatting on these threads, as I can share anything I get into pots at the seed swap this winter ("trust me, that dead stick is a plant!")
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
4:30 AM

Post #9270491

Sally and others, I'm interested in as much variegated clumping liriope as you want to dig up. Sally, I can do the digging this Saturday. :)

rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 10, 2012
6:20 AM

Post #9270590

Chantell, I have just the thing for your nephew...a Mother of Thousands which is certainly exotic. I have watched this plant do its thing for two years and find it quite fascinating. At the moment I have lots of decent sized ones that ought to put on a good show for who ever gets them.

The swap is almost here. I hope that everyone has a great week coming up and that our travels to Sally's place are all safe and pleasant. Good times to be had.

Ruby

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9270668

Awww Ruby - as always you are so thoughtful!! Thank you - can't wait to see you and John. Will be sending you an email tonight with some plant questions - please look for it. Hugs!
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
10:20 AM

Post #9270878

I just potted up a Dragon's Blood sedum. I'll have much more in the spring, but just one pot for now.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9271277

Friends of ours, Ray and Lois, are going to join us. THey are not plant maniacs per se but Lois has "a large fern' she's been trying to discard. I think it is her very large Asparagus fern that she showed me four years ago.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
5:29 PM

Post #9271325

Sally--

Tell your friend that asparagus ferns can be root divided--just like I/we butcher an too old Spider plant.
If I remember correctly--A.F.'s also make those nodules all throughout the roots to hoard water.
These ferns like to be fresh--not a couple of years old.

I used to even grow some of these from the seeds they make...long---long--ago. G.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9271327

You tell her! You'll meet her Saturday !
I planted my Asparagus fern outside last fall, just to see- It did live over, partially.. I bet it is hardy to about zone 8 which some of us can do with the right exposure.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
6:31 PM

Post #9271391

Sally, I'd be interested in your friend's asparagus fern.
Foxnfirefly
Falls Church, VA
(Zone 7b)

September 10, 2012
7:04 PM

Post #9271436

Hey, Sallyg--the links you sent me via D-mail didn't work but I think this was the thread you meant for posting attendees. I just posted on the Food Thread---I'D LOVE TO COME!! I still have plants promised to others that I'd like to give all of you. I just need a ride, so if anyone is able to swing by area and let me ride with you, that would be great!! D=mail me for directions.

I still have the Iris Florentine (peachy) to share. The 3-ft snow nearly wiped it out as I had put it in a barrell that didn't drain well. But I took what was still good out and they have rebounded. So, they're ready for new homes.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 10, 2012
8:24 PM

Post #9271508

All - may I get some feedback on bringing my surplus pots etc., please? I'm lazy - what can I say...LOL I don't want to load them up if I have to reload and bring home. They're mostly my fav Walmart pots with the raised floor and side watering hole for bottom watering. 4" and 6" sizes...a few larger than that of generic pots - read cheap. Also about 6 new ceramic pots - 6" size but deeper than standard - think rose pot type. I also have a lot of cow pots still and various 'orchid' type supplies from when I 'thought' I might like to raise them. God knows what else is down there...it just seems sinful to leave there to collect dust when one of you might be able to use them.

I will also be updating my 'haves' list:
*Is anyone interested in False Red Yucca http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/31558/. - I have one for sure...might dig both up though...still contemplating this.
*Mature sedums that have long since lost their tags - I know I can ID the Black Jack sedum I've had since 07' - Autumn Joy (been in ground since 05' - I honestly don't know what the other names are...Autumn Fire might be out there as well.
*I'm also considering digging up my NOID Dwarf Variegated Weigela (09') - see photo below - note: it doesn't look so pretty at summer's end

I will add with 'taker' to haves as I get responses. Can't wait to see everyone!!

This message was edited Sep 10, 2012 10:27 PM

Thumbnail by Chantell
Click the image for an enlarged view.

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
9:53 PM

Post #9271597

Chantell, those deep 6 inch pots are often perfect for amaryllises... so hang onto them... we'll get together later this fall (you promised!), and I know I can find some extras when I start lifting them.
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
5:54 AM

Post #9271747

Local garden center has Razzle Dazzle Dwarf Crepe Myrtles on clearance for $6 each in 3gal
pots, Regular price is $24.95 or more.

Let me know as soon as possible if you would like me to pick up some for you and bring to swap. Nice plant for a sunny border and a very good price.
http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Cherry-Razzle-Dazzle-Crape-Myrtle.htm
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 11, 2012

Post #9271853

Won't be long now folks...
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2012
7:32 AM

Post #9271873

Me me me please on the Razzle Dazzle... I'll put the $ in with your pens, or add half a pound of moisture crystals, whichever you'd prefer. Thanks for looking out for us!

(ah... er... I should probably qualify the above with "as long as Terri or Pat thinks it will fit in their car on the way back, pretty please?")

critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2012
7:33 AM

Post #9271876

Never mind that qualification... it can sit at Sally's if need be... gives me another excuse to come out and see her this fall. Joyanna and I are inviting ourselves... LOL
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
8:23 AM

Post #9271916

Critter, there were four left at 7 am...Do you want all four? I'm on my way to get what's there now!

Maybe I can meet up with you and Joyana for a post swap swap at Sally's!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
9:51 AM

Post #9271989

Please include me too in this future get-together. Sally is only 1/2 hr. from my house.
I could bring Joyann her late B_D gifts . Another good reason...

Gita
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9272022

If anyone would like me to bring 50 pound bags of Turface (it is about $14.50 a bag, incl. tax), please let me know. There is a store about 10 minutes from my house that carries it. It is an ingredient in some of Tapla's soil mixtures (see the first 3 "sticky" threads at http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/f/containers/all/), and I know some people have had a hard time finding it. (Ssgardener is bring some of the mix to share, all made up, and that may be all anyone wants/needs.) In any event, I'd be happy to buy a bag (or more) of Turface for you and bring it to the swap. Please dmail me if interested.

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 12:42 PM
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2012
2:07 PM

Post #9272181

Coleup, I only want 1 for myself, please... but get another for yourself, consider it in trade for the lovely little one you gave me this spring. Anybody else can have dibs on the other 2 (if you get all 4), but don't feel you'll be "stuck" with extras... I could give one to a neighbor, one to my MIL next spring... just let me know if I owe you more than for 2 of them. I'll put $10 in the baggie with your pens ($2.25 plus an extra fine-tip I thought you might like).

Terri is swinging by here tonight (thank you, Terri!), so I'll be sending the moisture crystals & pens with her. The amount you owe (if any) is on the bag. Please give Terri the money.
Coleup & Chantell's bags are marked "paid", Holly & Terp each owe $14, Ruby $10 (or $9.25 if you don't want the fine tipped pen also), Catbird $7, Gita $3.

coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
3:15 PM

Post #9272247

Critter, sounds good to me. Of course I snapped up all four Razzle Dazzles figuring that if you wanted one then there would be others who would also! As for me, I have enough sun in my yard to keep them alive but not to bring into bloom! That's why I gave you the 'Cherokee'. Am really liking the foliage color of the "Plum Magics' if I want one for just foliage!

Before I forget, Chantell, I believe the pot of upright banded grass you are bringing for ssgardener is called Miscanthus sinensis "Gold Bar"
http://www.plantdelights.com/Miscanthus-sinensis-Gold-Bar-PP-15193-Gold-Bar-Maiden-Grass/productinfo/7494/

And, last but not least, Wanted to give a very Happy Birthday shout out to ecnalg better known as Pat. See you Sat Pat!

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
4:10 PM

Post #9272323

Happy birthday Pat!

Yes, I am happy to babysit a Crepe myrtle for Jill, and Gita and coleup you will of course know when we get together.

ssgardener She will be deelighted if you acccept her apsparagus fern, I am making an assumption that is what she meant...hope I didn't speak ''too soon", If she doesn't I am happy to give you my small one that wintered and summered outside.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
4:50 PM

Post #9272382

Coleup, if there is still a crepe Myrtle available I would like it, please. If not that is okay, too. Just saw this

Getting excited!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
6:04 PM

Post #9272439

Sally-----I did NOT ask for a Crepe Myrtle...Something must have gotten mixed up.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 11, 2012
7:07 PM

Post #9272505

Emphasis on my comma ---read as
i will babysit a crepe for jill.
(stop)
and gita and cole will know when jill and joy come over
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 11, 2012
7:25 PM

Post #9272522

Terri stopped by this evening, and I talked her into staying for dinner (not hard, because spaghetti sauce has been simmering all day, so the kitchen smells divine). Sally, she should be bringing you a couple of SIBs... if you want to overwinter them in pots, they'll probably need bigger ones. Also, Joyanna sent along a plant for Gita that she "needs" just because of its name. And Terri snagged the 2 DL pots for Ruby's John. Other than that, plants people wanted from me will have to wait until another time.

Happy happy birthday, Pat!!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 11, 2012
7:39 PM

Post #9272540

LMBO > Sally Seriously though - someone let me know when the informal get together happens...I"m not opposed to driving...

Devon - I quickly scanned the article and went to product website. I'm still clueless - was trying to figure out if this stuff is more natural or more chemically?

This message was edited Sep 11, 2012 9:53 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
1:29 AM

Post #9272777

Jill, thanks!

Chantell, sure thing!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
5:27 AM

Post #9272844

Jill--

I can't wait to see what I "need"according to Joyanna...
Now--I may have to see if I have something SHE "needs" in return. Just for fun...

How about 2 bright pink pots? Will put something soft in it...something she "needs" when she gets stressed..
I already have them in your box...Will write a small note re the "needing"...;o)
Gita

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
5:51 AM

Post #9272858

Had a good visit with Jill, Jim, and Joyanna last night. Spaghetti sauce was delish!!! I am always in awe of Jill's plants too, but this time was amazing. I couldn't believe how big and lush the houseplants are that have been outside on the deck all summer, and all her starter perennials being coddled in pots are thriving, not to mention the gigantic fig tree. Seems like everything has taken off in leaps and bounds. I have the plants, markers, and water crystals to bring to Sally's for her, and can't wait to see everyone.

I don't have much to bring this time, but put a few things on the HAVES/WANTS thread. I pretty much fizzled out with my gardening efforts this summer after that horrible July storm. I never even got around to cleaning up all the downed trees and limbs. The place looks pretty neglected, which it is, but the weeds look great LOL... Anyway, I probably won't be able to plant much this fall, but I can't resist a few things that I saw on the offerings. Sally, I'd love to have some of the big root geranium - and Ruby, lily of the valley and creeping jenny are always welcome.

Pat, HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 12, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9272887

Gita, you already have something for Joyanna! (She spotted the thumbnail photo, btw... I didn't enlarge it, but that little smartie piped right up... what's that? is it for me?? LOL, she still has that birthday party at the top of her mind, doesn't she?) You know she'll love the bright pink pots.

Terri ate her first fig. We can probably add her to the list of people who want to grow figs, now. :-)

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
6:51 AM

Post #9272935

Jill--

Would it be easier if I sent your stuff with Terri instead of David and Pat?

Terri--NOT too late! I can cut fresh starts from my neighbor's Fig trees.
There are 3 different ones.
1--Her BIG tree--with the honey-sweet figs. This one is straight from Italy, brought over as a cutting in a suitcase.
2--A version I call the "Bush" Fig--also sweet fruit
3--A Fig that has been struggling under the house overhang--but has the biggest, purple figs of all.

Let me know ASAP--and I will do my thing and bring them. Then YOU can watch them root!
Latecomers in asking will all have to do this...Two weeks--and they will be firmly rooted.

Gita
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 12, 2012
9:26 AM

Post #9273057

Oh yeah...Happy Birthday to Pat. Hope that you had a great day and the upcoming year proves to be one of your very best ever.

Aspenhill, have you down for Lily of The Valley and for Creeping Jenny.

I have felt very funky all week and have thought a time or two that I might have to write at the last minute and say I wouldn't be able to attend. A bit ago I realized how badly I truly want to be among all you great folk again, so will do my very best to get there on Saturday. If not, there is always the US Postal Service that I can use to get things to everyone. I am going to really put forth an effort to put the funk behind me and be ready and smiling as much as the rest of you will be on Saturday. There are several names on the attendees list that I don't recognize as having met before, so am really looking forward to that.

Wanted to mention that the pots of a very pretty red bud Aster we have is in beautiful bloom this week and if anyone is interested, we have plenty. These will most likely grow to a good sized shrub, so a bit of space will be needed if you decide you want one. Also have lots of Butterfly Bushes too, colored purple that need homes. Let me know.

Ruby
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
9:58 AM

Post #9273085

Chantell: Turface is manufactured, but I think it is fairly harmless. It is used for sponging up water on soccer fields. Here is what Tapla wrote about it: "Turface is calcined (fired at a high temperature) clay. The special clay is heated until the tiny particles fuse, so they are like hard little ceramic sponges. After screening, their large size allows water to flow through the particles, leaving large air pores between the particles, with water trapped INSIDE the particles for plants to use. The result is lots of aeration, no perched water, and good water retention."

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
9:59 AM

Post #9273086

Ruby - I DO hope you're feeling better :-( I would miss seeing you!!!!! You mentioned butterfly bushes - only IF y'all have time and they're not all taken - I'd love one for my sister. She has this HUGE empty yard...makes me twitch...so I keep bringing things that my BIL graciously plants and takes care of. Great guy!!

Devon - we were posting at the same time. Based on the description you quoted - I LOVE some...please and thank you. Let me know how much $ to bring.

This message was edited Sep 12, 2012 12:00 PM
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9273098

Sounds like kitty liter to me...joke.
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9273111

Terp, that's actually pretty accurate! I've heard that some people use kitty litter instead of Turface if they can't get a hold of it.
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
10:26 AM

Post #9273117

Chantell - I was going to bring whole bags -- it is about $14.50 a bag for 50 pounds. But I can open one of my bags if you like and bring you a smaller amount. Just let me know. Tapla recommends mixing it in equal parts (by volume) with pine bark fines and chicken grit (the larger size); you are supposed to screen the pine bark so that all 3 of the components are the same size. That's his "gritty mix" -- free flowing, but ssgardener points out that it doesn't remain a lot of water so you need to water frequently. It's used a lot by bonsai growers, but does great for any container plant.

I had thought of putting it on the soggy areas of my lawn, but I can't find anyone to confirm that would be helpful long term, and it gets a bit pricey if it doesn't work!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9273154

Devon - I'll take a 50 lb bag. As for the lack of water retention - don't forget I'm bringing coir to share. Per one of the sites http://www.environmentalgreenproducts.com/store/coco-peat-coco-coir-coco-husk-fiber-pr-16340.html re coir:
•Absorbs water readily and re-wets easily, thus reducing the need for wetting agents.
•Reduces watering frequency without plant stress, thereby reducing labor costs and minimizing plant loss.
•Increases shelf life of plants.
•Slow breakdown of material means product will not shrink during your growing cycle.
•High water holding capacity while still maintaining excellent drainage and aeration.

Did you get my dmail?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 12, 2012
12:25 PM

Post #9273195

I have been hearing so much about Coir that I ordered 4 or 5 bricks earlier this year.
They sat and sat in my basement wirj room--so I decided to get one of the bricks water-soaked.
Yes! It made about 2 gallons as promised. Kept it in a big bowl all covered with plastic to keep moist.

When i was potting up my Easter cactus divisions, I decided to pot them in straight Coir.
Thinking--it would stay moist a long time. Nope!
My Easter cactus divisions are planted in 4" clay pots and are outside in part shade/sun.
They dry out SOOO fast--that I have to keep watering them. I think the coir wicks the moisture
to the surface and then it dries out.

Won't do this again. I will mix it with other stuff--but not straight.
The cuttings are all doing fine and are rooted. Maybe this was a good idea????
Hmmmmm...
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
12:58 PM

Post #9273223

Oh, Ruby, praying you feel better. Wouldn't want to miss you.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 12, 2012
7:03 PM

Post #9273508

Jan23 wrote:Oh, Ruby, praying you feel better. Wouldn't want to miss you.

mee too!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9273795

sallyg wrote:

mee too!

Mee three!!

Hiya Y'all! Ok, fair warning!! I've got everyone's promised babies (and then some) all potted up and ready to go, HOWEVER, I got them all done just yesterday!!! What with being sick/working/raining/and not being here, I just hadn't had a chance to get to it all until yesterday (Wednesday).

Now, other than the Coleus cuttings, these are NOT cuttings.

The Verbena... I'm not sure what the proper wording is for this, but ya know how Verbena spread and root wherever the branches touch the soil? Well, I cut "before" the rooting, then dug the roots out and potted them, then pruned the rest of the branches back to make it all managable.

The Agastache and Plataycodon are all quite large clumps, so I dug out the clumps, cut through the root clumps, and potted up the smaller sections (like ya would with Hostas).
Same thing with the few Alaska Shastas that someone wanted. (I don't remember who, I left my list downstairs). =/

Everything is in 1-gallon sized containers, except for the Coleus cuttings, and all are put into my favourite mix: compost/perlite/peat moss/and a smidgey bit of mulch. They were watered and will get mulched today.

I just wanted to give y'all a heads-up that they're not gonna be well-established, and I apoligize profusely, I just hadn't been able to get to it before now. =/

I, too, have a bunch of pots to bring with me on Saturday, but they are growers pots of various sizes, from 4" to 1-gallon. They'll all be getting a bath today. =) Will anyone be wanting these?

Alrighty then, thanks guys, I hope you all are having a wonderful day, and Ruby, I sure hope you're feeling better!!!

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
7:54 AM

Post #9273940

Sorry about this late request. Does anybody have a catnip to spare? I used to have quite a lot of them in my garden, but pulled them out after I lost my dear 3-legged cat. I am building a small garden area for my cat and would like to put a catnip there.

Thank you.

Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville   Thumbnail by donnerville      

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
8:00 AM

Post #9273949

donner - my Walmart is carrying it...would you like me to pick you up a pot? I'd share mine but it's not that big yet. I'm so sorry to hear about your cat...my heart breaks everytime I hear of someone losing their furrfriends... hugs

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9273995

Chantell, thank you. In that case I can stop by at Walmart this weekend. I have not been there since I went plant shopping in the spring. Will definitely go take a look. They probably have fall plants in stock now.

My cat was a stray when I adopted him. He was the most friendly cat I ever saw. We had 7 wonderful years with him, but like many cats he developed kidney problems. We miss him very much.

I am using plants with blue and white flowers in his garden. How does that idea sound? I have already planted a white flowered dogwood tree there.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 13, 2012
9:41 AM

Post #9274029

Alright, before I put my foot in my mouth...donnerville, have you replaced your kitty and making a garden for your new one, or is the garden in memory of the first kitty? Either way, what cute pictures of that rascal. I too am an animal lover and know how much pleasure our dogs have brought us over the years. So sorry for your loss.

Thank you so much to everyone who wished me get well thoughts. Jan, your prayers worked. I guess I should have taken the time last evening to check in and say that almost immediately after writing my funk post, I some how pepped up, my mind eased and life looked good again. Can't say if I was ailing more physically or mentally, but whatever, I felt good yesterday afternoon and so far today things are A-OK. Hallelujah!!! Ready to party folks!!!

Seems that I am having a lot of last minutes requests for plants and that is really thrilling. Early yesterday I was out in the side yard which I don't see daily and my other half has really done a lot of potting of over the last little bit. Remember that last spring we thought he would attend Farmers Markets at least once a week, the way he did the previous summer and so a lot of things got potted for that. Along comes a major roofing job and whole house re-carpeting and he didn't find the time to attend any of the markets. We have a great supply of most every thing I have mentioned as having, and would love to send them to new homes this Saturday if there is any further interest. Got Chantell down for a butterfly bush and had a request earlier from coleup for a red Aster. Ready to go...I have noted all of this and will try to find the time early tomorrow to get them posted on my haves and wanted list. If I don't make it that far, please know I have it on paper and will bring all that I have promised thus far.

Got Aspenhill's requests yesterday for Lily of the Valley and Creeping Jenny and Devon will be giving a new home to three Caryopteris. Yippie!!!

Thank each of you again for the good wishes...the good wishes and prayer worked because I do feel my old self again...not a slug like I did for several previous days. See you all very, very soon.

Ruby

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9274077

Ruby, I have not been online very much lately and didn't realize that you were not well. Very glad you feel better now.

I have not got a new cat. The garden we are building is a memorial garden for the little guy in the photos :-(.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
11:15 AM

Post #9274100

Woohoo!!! Not long now!
happy_macomb
Chevy Chase, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9274125

Ruby: I am really glad you are feeling better. It will be wonderful to visit!

Donnerville: I'm so sad about your cat. I still mourn our Jeepers...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
12:37 PM

Post #9274147

Hi All, Didn't mean to be MIA. Ric and I got terribly sick just a few hours after the tour, we are slowly coming back. I did get several things together today and will be going over the request lists and bring as much as we can.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
12:46 PM

Post #9274155

Goodness!! Glad you are feeling some better! You can only do what you can do and leave it that. We'll get together again heehee
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 13, 2012
12:51 PM

Post #9274159

Oh gosh Holly...so sorry to hear that you two were ailing. Being ill sucks big time!!!! Hate it, hate it!!!

Just spent a bit going over my swap list which will officially close as of this evening. I have two varigated Hosta to share if anyone is interested. One of three we have in pots is promised to David and Pat, and if no one else speaks up this evening, they will hopefully take the other two home also. Please let me know ASAP. I remember one of the ladies, either Jan or Susan (speedie) mentioning early that they wanted one but have forgotten exactly who wanted Hosta because at the time I didn't know we were going to have any to bring.

I will be updating my haves and wants list either later this evening or in the morning. After that is done, it is a done deal. Thanks all...getting really excited about the swap.'

Ruby

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9274167

Oh geeze... Hhope everybody is feeling real good asap

donner i have small catnips here and there can give you
already potted one or two up cuz one is for Chantell

donnerville

donnerville
Damascus, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
1:15 PM

Post #9274172

Sally, thank you. A small catnip will do.

Happy, I totally know how you feel :-(.

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9274195

Ruby, I am sooooooooo glad you are feeling better, I just CANNOT miss out on meeting you on Saturday!!

I'm not sure about Jan, but I know that I would love a Hosta if you can, please...and thank you. =) I sure am looking forward to meeting you on Saturday. Hope you like oatmeal chocolate chip cookies! =)
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
6:22 PM

Post #9274449

SSG, Not sure we will get the hydrangeas dug out, didn't want big holes before the tour went through we will see if we can dig them tomorrow but I'm not sure I won't run out of time and energy tomorrow. I bought them in N.C. years ago and I don't think I have ever seen them bloom I am thinking that they are the type to bloom on old wood and need a warmer zone. If I don't have them at this years swap they will be at the spring swap.
Terp, I have your list, sweet woodruff spreads nicely but I don't think of it as terrible invasive at least it hasn't been for me.
Foxy, I would love the Iris Florentine if not too late.
Chantell, I would take pretty much any pots you want to bring and Orchid stuff that no one else wants. I know there are a few Orchid growers in our group, I want to give another try at Orchids again especially now that Ric is going to heat the GH this winter.
Going to go back over the older thread and then try to check out the haves/wants list so I don't miss anything.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
6:34 PM

Post #9274459

speedie---

I have almost a tray-full of Endless Summer Hydrangeas rooting in 4" deep pots. Not sure they have rooted yet--
and I do not want to go tugging too much. They all have leaves and look great--but I remember
from last year--that even without any roots--these cuttings looked awesome.
SO--time is what is needed...patience...They will all stay outside, in a protected area, for the winter.

Do you want any? Not too late! LMK! Gita
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 13, 2012
7:34 PM

Post #9274524

Gita, Now that I will have more winter storage for my Tropicals I would love a Night Blooming Cereus if there are any available.

Chantell, If not too late. Some Black Jack Sedum please.

This message was edited Sep 13, 2012 10:50 PM

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
8:29 PM

Post #9274561

Holly - I'm sure folks are more concerned with you and Ric feeling better and joining us than what plants you've brought with you! Please don't over do. I will bring the pots and orchid stuff as well as some Black Jack for you.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 13, 2012
8:35 PM

Post #9274569

OT (sorry ahead of time) but JB has a large Salmon Hibiscus that she's looking to give away. Needs to be p/u though - any takers? http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/p.php?pid=9274063

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
9:13 PM

Post #9274598

A good fairy came by while I was scrubbing floors in the other castle. Left a beautiful caladium !!!!! And a beautiful spike of red flowers !! That was a treat to come home to and add to my happy thoughts while setting up tomorrow. Thanks Flower Fairy
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 13, 2012
9:43 PM

Post #9274622

Chantell, If it is no trouble, I would enjoy some of that Black Jack sedum.

lol Sally, you are really in to this princess thing!!!

Jan, I have a Razzle Dazzle for you.

Donner, the hosta I have for you is 'Blue Mouse Ears' ! Perfect for a kitty garden I hope.

Now back to labeling individual bulbs of garlic.

Have a good night all and a delightfull day of lst min prep and see tou all Sat. at Sally's main castle and grounds!

speediebean

speediebean
Somewhere in, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
1:51 AM

Post #9274694

Well Bless your warm fuzzy heart Gita but I'm absolutely gonna have to pass on your generous offer, I sooooooo don't have anywhere to put a hydrangea!! I think Her Highnney-Ness could use one though, heeheeheee.

Gonna give the babies a watering before I leave for work today, they got mulched yesterday and I heard them humming and whistling a happy little tune. =) Goodness, the dining room table is getting a bit piled with stuff to bring tomorrow... TOMORROW, WHEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!! < =D

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
6:01 AM

Post #9274811

Coleup - gotcha on the Black Jack - and huge thank you for the time you've put into this garlic thang!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9274817

Holly--

Went out and took some pictures...

I only have ONE, small (but about 4 years old) start of NBC. You are welcome to have it...
It is so small because I started it from pieces of the ling, spikey growths it makes,
convinced it would root.
These stem pieces are from the time when Bec had her Plant Swap and I brought her my BIG NBC.
How long ago was that???

It took forever for it to start growing any leaves. It has lived in this small 4" pot since then.
Give it a new, bigger pot--some good soil and compost--and BAM! Watch it grow!
Maybe it has been waiting for you all these years? Waiting to be "liberated!"
It has a LOT of leaves. I believe when this gets going--you will have a nice plant in no time...

Here is a picture--will bring it for you. Gita

Thumbnail by Gitagal

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
6:22 AM

Post #9274831

@Ruby, it wasn't me who wanted the hosta, so speedie can have it. Heehee

@Coleup, thank you for picking up the dazzle dazzle

I think we are a very excited bunch!! Will be heading out this afternoon. Looking forward to an evening with the grandies before the main event tomorrow. Yes, the grandies are second in this line-up. Can you imagine?

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
6:26 AM

Post #9274837

Speedie wrote:
Well Bless your warm fuzzy heart Gita but I'm absolutely gonna have to pass on your generous offer, I sooooooo don't have anywhere to put a hydrangea!! I think Her Highnney-Ness could use one though, heeheeheee.

Well--Princess Sally! What doest Thou say? Do you need some Endless Summer Hydrangeas
in your Royal Gardens?
I just took this photo this AM--they are all rooted. IF thou desireth a few--let me know via your Royal
messenger...Horse can be tied up to my front steps railing...

What sayeth Thou?

Pic. #1--The Hydrangea rooted cuttings.
Pic. #2 and #3--All my goodies boxed up and awaiting loading in the car.
Terp---That big-leafed thing dominating the crate with dug-up bulbs is your Dr. Seuss. Man! has it grown
since I transplanted it in an 8" pot!
Pic. #4---I just am in AWE how robust my Brazilian Plume has grown. Buds coming out all over...
Hope it keeps this up! Should be amazing if it makes it through the winter as a House Plant.
Have to find a really bright spot for it... Did all yours (that have it) do the same?

Pic. #5--Ric--Here are all your rocks in place---still have another place to do. will need more rocks...
I have a few from what Donn (old HD Mgr.) gave me--but not enough.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
6:36 AM

Post #9274846

Gita- so funny!!! HAHA!!!

The Royal Gardens are a wee bit crammed. I don't have a free space at the moment. But if they are not all taken, I will take one and nurse it; you all can tell me if I do have a place, it can go on the four year plan...

My Plume got a lot of leaves eaten?!? But still had two emerging plumes.

I needed to scroll through and look for additions to requests. But had no tool bar. I discovered that striking F2 key gave me a bar with 'find on this page' , very helpful.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9274847

Sally- You can use Ctrl+F as well.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9274851

Oh, thanks!

I haven't heard any further from RosesRRed so let's keep good thoughts going for her. I believe she is caring for a friend.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9274852

OK, Princess Sal---I will pick the best one of all for you.
Love this Theme----just go with the flow...:o)

The rest--and maybe more to be cut--will be available at the May Plant swap at Jan's.
G.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
6:58 AM

Post #9274865

Yippee! Next May will be here before we know it.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
6:59 AM

Post #9274866

y'all are a trip!! Gita love the rocks!! The grandbabies and I collect hand-sized ones as well as shells (when we visit my mom and dad) to put in and around the plants in front. It's fun to find the unique

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
7:10 AM

Post #9274879

I'm just felling royally gifted that all THIS will come right TO ME tomorrow. Wow.

Yes Gita good job on your rocks.

Chantell, take the rock tour at my house. I often bring home "perfectly rounded rocks" from the river. And other interesting rocks from anywhere. They're in my flowerbeds.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
7:38 AM

Post #9274903

IF it were not illegal here to collect rocks around official Parks and the river beds in the Parks--
I could get more. You need a permit to do so.
I live close to the big Gunpowder River and park. Not gonna go steal rocks,,,silly, isn't it?

Building sites are a cheap, free alternative...but I am not going to drive around looking for them.
Besides--getting caught taking something from a building site could get one in trouble as well...

G.
rubyw
Crozet, VA

September 14, 2012
7:55 AM

Post #9274924

I never really thought of myself as being a rock hound until a trip some years ago to the Greenbrier River in West Virginia. I spent literally hours picking through unusual shaped rocks in slow moving parts of the river. If anyone other than family had seen me, they would have believed me to be someone who had been locked away all their lives from nature and this being my first exploration of it. I went nuts. I came home with a floor board full of smallish sized beautiful rocks which ended up riding in my car for a very long time. I can't remember what has happened to any of the rocks now but that very fun day lives on in my memory.

Another rock story...Some years back I tired so much of hearing both my dad and my brother complain about the rocky land they owned. I was thinking, what stick in the muds and such ungrateful men these were. I always claimed my dad to be a person who couldn't see the forest for the trees. Anyway...in order to prove to them that even rocky land is good land, I ran an ad in a local newspaper to sell some of the rock on my land. I had several people come and pick up and load rocks to their hearts desire and I walked away with a few bucks.

So glad to hear that I am in good company with you folks. Anyways...got your name on a Hosta Speedie. This should be it for now. No more requests please. I believe that once again, should any of us forget to bring a request to someone, it won't be much of a problem because it sure sounds as though a whole lot of swapping will be going on. Looking forward to meeting all of you tomorrow...

Ruby

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
7:58 AM

Post #9274928

Ahh come on now Gita...just wear all black - get some green and black face paint...put on a hat with twigs and leaves attached - no one would be the wiser.

For those who don't know me...I AM teasing...

However I am not opposed to taking any pretty stones/rocks off anyone's hands that isn't attached to them... :-)
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
7:59 AM

Post #9274930

Heehee. I can see someone thinking. Did that tree just pick up a rock?

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
9:14 AM

Post #9274994

Late request (ducking my head) - I've just disovered a project I'd like to make for Christmas gifts. If anyone could bring share some of their sm ground cover type sedums it would be helpful. I have some in my yard - so no biggie if not avail or too late in asking...
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9275021

Thanks Gita, BTW The BPF is blooming again.
UMD_Terp
Central, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
9:38 AM

Post #9275024

Commence cooking...I mean smoking..wooo

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
9:40 AM

Post #9275026

BPF ?????????

Pleeeease! I do not always know what acronyms mean--or i am having a brain burp!

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
9:52 AM

Post #9275036

[heading to Terp's place]
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
10:01 AM

Post #9275049

Meet you there Chantell with some gourmet Garlic cloves.

Shall I bring my BPF (Brazilian Plume Flower) for decor?
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
10:05 AM

Post #9275055

Sally,

Roses R Red sent me this Dmail a while ago
"It's looking like I won't be able to make it after all. Too many friends and family having challenges that they need help with. Hope you all have the usual wonderful time that these swaps provide for us. Sorry to miss the fun. Teri"
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9275056

Chantell, I just dug up some dragon's blood sedum. Are they too big for what you need?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
10:11 AM

Post #9275059

(Riding Chantell's bumper...)

CHantell, I have some sedums too you are welcome to pillage.

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
10:23 AM

Post #9275068

(((Roses))) - we'll miss you and keep you in prayer!!!

Judy - I'll bring my world famous (stole recipe) bbque sauce - you add the cloves...is it lunch time yet?

SS - dragon's blood would be perfect...hmmm might even plant some of that! Thank you.

Sally - just please let your majesty's guardsman be aware of my lawful pillaging.

This message was edited Sep 14, 2012 12:24 PM

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
10:49 AM

Post #9275088

Thanks for relaying, coleup.

And I did find the coolers and gazebo- thanks!

Chantell- and all-
The woodsmen and gamekeepers are aware that no one is to be harmed or interfered with in any digging tomorrow. Even more- the royal Hound will keep all Skwirrells well at bay. She takes that very seriously.
Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
10:56 AM

Post #9275095

Heehee

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
12:41 PM

Post #9275186

sallyg wrote:... Skwirrells well at bay.

OMG - that's exactly how my son said it for years...so cute!!!

Anyone have some willow branches I can take off their hands? I never think about it when I'm passing them...sheesh...then forget where I saw them at. I'd like to make some 'willow water.'

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9275263

Forgot to tall you all about the Rosemary. I AM bringing lots of it. A Tall kitchen Trash bag jammed full.

I tried to cut really large stems of it, so if anyone wants--you can just shove them in the ground and they will root.
That way--you will have this wonderful herb available year round. The Rosemary is a hardy perennial.
I will also bring a pile of plastic grocery bags so you all have something to take these home in.

Progress report:
All "wants" boxes are checked twice and sitting at the end of the driveway.
Don't want to put them in the car yet--it is still a bit warm. Will do this later this evening--so I can
just jump in the car and go in the AM. Plan to leave about 10AM--so expect me around 10:30AM--or so.
Sally--if there is anything, last minute, you need--I can pick it up. Just ask...

Meatballs are in the oven--then into the crock pot.
*****Can anyone tell me if they will be OK in there until morning?
It IS insulated! Hate to have to put the whole crock pot in the fridge...What will THAT help??
Your opinions, please...asap!

Went and banged on front and back doors at Tom's house. No reply. Someone has been there, for sure.
Besides--yesterday--his car was gone. Now it is back.
I left him another note in the mailbox yesterday, saying he would LOVE to be in this crowd's company.
Gave him the time I could pick him up and all that.
The note is gone--the potted plants in the back are watered---just----.NO Tom.
Perhaps he has better things to do...and perhaps i am being a pain in the you know what,
thinking that he would find spending a whole day with people he does not know--exciting.

OK! Home stretch!!!! Feels good to have (almost) everything done. Been a laid back day all day.
My way of dealing with things! Kill myself days before--and then when "the event" arrives--there is hardly
anything left to do. My stress management coping mechanism...I seem to do this all the time...

Gita
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9275387

Gita, Your MMMeatballs must be kept above 135 degrees to be safe. Checck your crock pot instructions to see what temp low setting will maintain. If 135 or more you can leave them plugged in on low until you leave for Sally's and then plug in again when you arrive there.

Otherwise you must refridgerate and reheat. If you refridgerate, don't do it in the crock pot unless yours has a liner that comes out, otherwise the food will not cool quickly enough to avoid the temps the nasty stuff loves to grow in (32 to 135) .

In any event Do not leave your MMMeatball at room temp overnite or for more than 2 hours max

Judy (former food service facility inspector for State Health Dept)
ssgardener
Silver Spring, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
4:35 PM

Post #9275394

Holly, no need to worry about that hydrangea! Are you bringing those canna bulbs that were never planted?

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 14, 2012
5:08 PM

Post #9275433

Ditto coluep exactly. Keep them on lowest temp of crock. Other method is spread them all out a single layer and chill in fridge overnite. Bringthem chilled and we will reheat here.

Forget Tom, he's not interested.

Can two people bring a card type folding table please? I may have already asked and you may have already offered but I forget.

I think I have everything else covered. In addition to the posted menu I got grapes and a veggie tray going; happy macomb bringing chips and dip.
Coleup brought two large coolers to stow drinks in. I have three 'card'; tables for the food, and two picnic tables with seating. And guests are suggested to bring their own chair if possible just to ensure plenty of good seating..

Use the drive for unloading and stay in the drive if you don't mind getting blocked in short term, or use the court straight part for parking. Please avoid blocking mailboxes after 1 pm as we are 'rural' type delivery. Use front and all of back yard for any kind of plant moving. Maybe when you claim plants to take home you may want to make a pile for them in the front yard. THen they won't be getting looked at over and over.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 14, 2012
5:11 PM

Post #9275437

Yes, We did get them in the ground about 2 weeks ago and they shot right up. I'm going to lift them in the morning set them back into the trays and you can just put them back into the ground.

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
5:20 PM

Post #9275444

Judy---

I answered you on the D-mail re the meatballs and the crock pot.
They are in the fridge--IN the crock pot. It is a small one--and only has 2 temp settings, Hi--and Lo.
It is also ancient--but I never use it. It has NO removable insides. I even have a bigger one.

Living Solo these kind of appliances do not get much use. For families--Oh, yeah!

Thanks for the parking advice, Sally. I think I will unload and park on the street.
Do you have a cart or a wheelbarrow?

IF I had any room, I could have brought you a card table--but my car is full (again!)--wall to wall.

Looking forward to seeing everyone. Gita

Chantell

Chantell
Middle of, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 14, 2012
9:26 PM

Post #9275651

Nite all...see you soon

Bec_No_Va

Bec_No_Va
Huntsville, AL
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2012
12:00 AM

Post #9275690

Just reading through the thread & it sounds like y'all will have a great day - I know Chantell will do her best to be both 'dee' & 'dumb' in my absence :-) I'll be lounging on the couch all weekend, unable to do much of anything - recuperating from surgery & my other weekend plans went out the window as well...not to worry, I'll be on my feet in no time :-) Enjoy & have a great time! Bec, aka Tweedledee :-)

PS! Take pictures!

aspenhill

aspenhill
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012
5:09 AM

Post #9275756

Sally, I have a folding table I will bring - I actually have several, so if you want me to bring two, as easy can do. Actually, I'll bring two just in case - if not needed, I'll just leave them in the car.
critterologist
Frederick, MD
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2012
5:32 AM

Post #9275761

I'll be thinking of you all and missing you today! I purposely didn't send along plants for Bec & Chantell in order to give added incentive for another get-together. *grin*

Ruby, so happy you're doing better so you can have an easier trip & enjoy the swap. Hope Holly & Ric are in fine shape again this morning.

Love you all!!

Gitagal

Gitagal
Baltimore, MD
(Zone 7a)

September 15, 2012

Post #9276226

What a wonderful, laid back day we all had!!!

Sally, you did an amazing job with the Swap. It just flowed...with NO stress and no "musts"...
We had great food and an amazing surprise for Sally. She was floored!
The weather was perfect--and we all set up in the shade of her trees. Cool!!!

Great yard and lots of room. Easy conversations between all. Moving around was easy.

We all got to meed Terp--who is a handsome, young man. He fit right in among us "oldies"...
We got to meet Chantelle's nephew--who is intensely interested in plants.
He was going around with his phone asking questions about plants he got--and typing in the information.

All I can say--it was a successful day and Swap. Kudos to you, Sally!!! You GO, Girl!!!!

Gita

Jan23
Salem Cnty, NJ
(Zone 7b)

September 15, 2012
7:35 PM

Post #9276274

Yes, it was a great day and the weather was outstanding! Enjoyed spending time with everyone.

Missed those who couldn't make it. But, look forward to the next time.
HollyAnnS
Dover, PA
(Zone 6b)

September 15, 2012
9:03 PM

Post #9276341

Tired, so only 1 word for now: WOWSER. Ric
coleup
annapolis, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 16, 2012
6:39 AM

Post #9276499

Speedie has started a thread for us to share our photos and bask in the glow of another fantabulous swap with fantabulous people and plants over here

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1280369/

Good morning one and all.

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012

Post #9276602

Oops, wrong thread! Re-entered on thread link above.

Our Reigning Hostess and Birthday Gal SallyG!

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 12:53 PM

Thumbnail by greenthumb99

greenthumb99

greenthumb99
Lucketts, VA
(Zone 7a)

September 16, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9276630

Oops, wrong thread! Re-entered on thread link above.

SSGardener and Chantell show their grief to learn that some knave had snuck in the food tent and eaten everything before the appointed meal time. Ric seemed suspiciously pleased, while Ruby, John, ecnalg (Pat), Happy w/DH and Aspenhill mope with glasses of water and empty stomachs.

This message was edited Sep 16, 2012 12:54 PM

Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   Thumbnail by greenthumb99   

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Mid-Atlantic Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Mid-Atlantic Gardening forum Terry 51 Jan 6, 2009 12:54 AM
Happy Hollow trip in MD who's in??? magoobu 48 Apr 26, 2007 12:41 PM
rocks??? nikki_conway 68 Jan 18, 2011 6:26 PM
Liriope - evergreen here? pennefeather 18 Aug 2, 2010 6:18 AM
Pineapple sage recipe to share. ladygardener1 18 Nov 5, 2010 4:03 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America