Fall swap at sallyg,,'s Part Two Discussion Thread

Anne Arundel,, MD(Zone 7b)

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272812/
We came from there with lively discussion of swaps!!
So please continue.
Yay !!!

HAVES and WANTS thread
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1272810/

See my post about six more down for list of attendees, if I have it up to date, and let me know if I don't.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 9:29 AM

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Hey Sally...I've lost track of who is coming (among other things) Can you list us all at the top of this new thread at some point? Thanks, and I stopped by last Sunday to visit robin at work, but she wasn't there. Are you babysitting her plants? Is all well with her?

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

I have a couple of each of the following sages for the swap:

Pineapple Sage – Salvia Elegans – Tender perennial with bright red flower spikes in the fall. Full sun for best flowering. Bring inside for winter. See photo

Golden Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Aurea’. Two-tone leaves. See photo.

Sage Of Bath Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Sage Of Bath’. Blooms pink. See photo

Extracta Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Extracta’ High in essential oil content

Berggarten Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Berggarten’ Large-leaved

Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99 Thumbnail by greenthumb99
Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Can I make a time request for the start? 11? If its a 12 o'clock I won't be able to meet everyone thoroughly and don't want to rudely dash off for my 5 o'clock wedding at turf valley.

I'm difficult what can I say!

Somewhere in, MD(Zone 7b)

Hmmmm, good point Terp, I hadn't even thought about what time all the fun starts. LOL!

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Greenthumb, Someday I want one of everything you have! Are all of your sages strictly full sun?

Fun?!? pre swap, swap, post swap, daffodil dig, seed swap, swap at Jan23 Sat after Mom's Day, tuffa two and on and on....Yea MidAtlantic !!!

Crozet, VA

Yep, you folks are really getting excited I see. I am too. Oh my gosh....such wonderful things that everyone is offering. I will attempt to update my haves and wants this weekend so I can see what kind of work I should be doing. Thus far, I have two pots of Prickly Pear ready for the two requests I have had so far.

Holly, I can do some Hens and Chicks for you now that you mentioned it. I have two special pots that I want to use for something else, so will take what is planted in them and get a pot going for you. I hope that I will have some takers for some regular wax Begonias that I started this year. Some how I have ended up with too many to bring indoors this winter and I would hate to see them die. I won't let that happen as they have really put out loads of beautiful blooms for me.

Can't recall at the moment other things, other than the quick growing Hawaiian Spiders that I also have loads of. Hoping some of you would like to have some of these too.

For now I will bid you all adieu. Hope the weekend is great for everyone.

Ruby

Lucketts, VA(Zone 7a)

Coleup - everything we grow survives in less than full sun. I don't think there is any spot in the yard that gets more than 3 hours of direct sun, but we have a lot of bright shade. All the sages I listed will bloom sooner and more profusely in full sun. Do you want some of the Salvias, or are you referring to all the selections I've posted?

Attendees, if I am up to date:
Pippi- Betty and possibly DH
Askalon
aspenhill Terri
speediebean and friend
Chantell
Jan
flowerjen Jen boo hoo!
happy macomb Devon-
sgardener Terry
UMD Terp Paul
Catbird Robin
coleup Judy
Gitagal Gita (lol)
tmcghan Tom
Ruby and John
Holly and Ric
donnerville Sally
crittterologist Jill waah!
ecnlag and greenthumb Pat and David

So that's about 23 or so including me and Mark

This message was edited Aug 31, 2012 7:59 AM

This message was edited Sep 1, 2012 12:14 PM

Terp etc, I will be open for business by ten am how's that? I mean, really, my whole day will be around this anyway, and it's not a formal affair. Past swaps, Gita , Catbird and I rendezvous by 9 30 or ten anyway, for the drive.

When did Holly and Ric open up- eleven?

But everyone come when they can. Let's say we expect to eat --- one pm?? Cuz that's the Second (or third) most important thing. And many seem to want to get on the road again before dark so we are not holding the meal for "dinner"

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill--

I have a whole mini blind I can bring. The brackets up above broke, from all the pulling..
Had to buy a new one.

I was thinking anyway to bring it along......it is still strung, though. Maybe you can show us all how to
take apart a mini-blind??? Good!

Better than mini-blinds are the white. plastic, 3" wide vertical blinds. You can cut any size of markers from those....
You can inquire at your HD or Lowes in the Ffloor and W dept. and ask if they have any of the ends from these.
It is trash to them--good for us!
They cut all kinds of blinds for customers--free of charge.

Gita

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

I had bought a brand new mini-blind at the Value Village thrift store months ago and I just opened it up and cut the strings yesterday. I was going to offer you some of mine but looks like Gita has got you covered! Gita, the lady that thinks ahead!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I can't keep track but whoever is offering the elephant ears I have a few questions. I am a fan of caladiums BC of the color they offer and their size. Are there smaller elephant ears available? Is there a way to keep them smaller? Are there other varieties other than green. Clearly we all love green here but I like the contrast of the colors on the caladiums. Black and green?

New to the elephant ears.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Thanks, Gita! I'm glad I didn't give in to the temptation to buy a new one just to take it apart. Disassembly is easy... just cut a couple of strings and start pulling the plastic vanes free. Good point about checking with stores for "scraps," too.

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

I would appreciate any extra mini blinds from Gita or Pippi.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Terp----

Now you are confusing me!!!! Maybe YOU have fallen into confusion as well....
I believe you think that Caladiums are the same as Nephtytis. Nope!
The leaves may look similar--but each is a different plant....

Caladiums grow from corms and have to be dug up and saved in a dormant state. (Here anyways).
Re potted in very early spring and need to germinate in VERY warm conditions. 80*-90*.
Bottom heat is what is needed. So, to get your Caladiums ready for the season--you will need a heat mat.

Nephtytis is a house plant, which some people call "Elephant Ears".....WRONG!!!
Nephtytis is a nice house plant that likes low light and comes in different shades of leaf color.
Green---pink---mauve...etc. It is semi-trailing. It goes by other names as well.
I will try to find you PF links to both. (Now I feel like coleup!).....

Found the PF link to "Caladiums". http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/search.php?q=Caladium&Search=Search+PlantFiles

Nothing came up under "Nephtytis" in PF's....WHY???????

Here are Google images of Nephtytis....
https://www.google.com/search?q=nephthytis+plant&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=t-s3UNDgCMaR6gGx9IBA&biw=1280&bih=830&sei=w-s3UKLMDuer6wG__4CADw

Gita

edited to say that the Google image did not come up with anything....
Please Google "Nephtytis" and when it comes up--click on "Images" in the top left toolbar.
You will have a zillion pictures of this plant to look at.....

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 4:06 PM

Terp-
The Elephant ears having been discussed here are usually huge. But you can look at Caladium growers descriptions for large leafed ones, still smaller and yet leafier than ELephant ears, and get color too.

I'll set up a table for mini blinds and scissors, make all you want,-- and marker-- good for last minute labeling too.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Sally, I won't be able to attend after all :(

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I understand the diff between caladiums and ees. I was just using them as a reference. So how tall do they get? 4 foot? And you are just splitting bulbs?

Sally - I will be there bright and early.

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Terp, Paul

I live near Sally's and will be bringing an assortment of the ee s I have growing so you and others can see them first hand. There will be some to take home that day, or reserve for the Spring swap as I will overwinter mine and divide in spring. Holly has two types she is offering, 'portadora' and 'Illustris' and I have 'Black Stem' "Elena" and "Frydek". Yes, as sally says most are large leaved (as big as elephant ears! lol) and green. Some have patterns, some are almost black, and 'elena' is lime green, but that's pretty much it for colors. Since they are tropical plants many make great water feature plants and if you like poi, you can eat the tubers as they are a food crop for many around the world,...

If I were you, I would do a good look /see this fall and then pick up one or two at spring swap to try, and if they don't suit you...trade them back at the fall swap!!! lol Besides, who wants to attend a wedding with a car full of big leaved plants! Not mentioning any names here, but stranger things have happened with this great group.

Here we are able to try out lots of plants with all the advice and encouragement of those who have grow'd them before us with out having to bust out budgets to do so.

(Judy) coleup

I'll miss you FlowAjen!

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

Great idea Judy. I look forward to it. Im sure I'll give it a try

Oh no Jen!
] : ^(

OK Paul- Ah I see where I misread your ee question. And yeah, but I doubt you will beat Gita that morning. tee hee

Yuppers-- I am about at the point where I'd be happy to give away some entire plants, cuz I know I can get em back if I want to.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I'll miss you all too!!!!

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Geez, Sally!
What time should I come to please Terp????

This is not a race-----I will aim for 9:30AM. How's that? Because i DO have plants for Him.
Will drag Tom out of bed if I have to......Not for real! Never been in his house--nor he in mine...

Do you need some more lawn chairs? I could bring several. Maybe tied on the roof of my car???
Have to leave some space for the plants.....
This will NOT be anything close to the spring Swap! Mamma Mia!!!!!

Gita

Geez, Gita!

I didn't SAY you have to come early. Ask Paul how long he can stay. And by the way, I think he's not all that far from me so if you have to leave something for him, I think it's not so bad for him to come back later.

Central, MD(Zone 7a)

I think if I left after lunch I would be comfortable. I was just curious when the start time was, I don't want to race. Everybody here knows that gardening is not a race. Well I guess it could be a marathon....

...marathon,,...Oh yeah for sure!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Speaking of labels and markers... Does anybody need either industrial black sharpie or silver sharpie markers? I can get pretty good prices on both if I get a box via Amazon... The "industrial" is FAR more fade resistant than regular sharpie marker, and the silver is great for marking plastic 6-packs and nursery pots... I've had the silver last 2 years or more (in my way sunny conditions) and still be legible, and the industrial Sharpie hasn't faded on anything yet that I've used it on. I may bring a set for the gift table, regardless, but I figured I'd ask also.

Also, I think I need more metal garden markers, and EON hasn't done a co-op for some time now... I checked their site at the beginning of summer, and they have switched to having a third party handle their orders & shipping while they continue to do the manufacturing... so I think that's the end of "stuff a flat rate shipping box" discounts. They do still have pretty significant discounts if you order 100 or (way better discount) 500 of a given marker... So if anybody else is "in the market" for markers, let me know, and we'll figure it out. PawPaw's prices are lower, but EON still seems to be getting better reviews for quality... I've used EON since I found them. I've played around with the color plates (available for maybe 3 years now) but seem to always come back to the basic zinc, although I think I've settled on purple markers for shrubs/trees and pink for vines (easier to see). I also like the pale green in the "natural" color series.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Jill---

I always grab your markers from the gift table....
I have a small, fun gift to put on the table for Joyanna. Yes! it's pink!
Fun--fun--fun....

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 7a)

Coleup, I think you offered an asparagus fern and an ostrich fern on the other page and I forgot to say yes. Thank you!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Well, Gita... let somebody else give them a try, next time! LOL Seriously, I'm glad you like them, because I think they're some of my most helpful garden "helpers!"

You're always so thoughtful with Joyanna -- thank you! The little curly spider you decorated for her has been outside all summer, hanging from the canopy on the deck, enjoying the sun & rain... I sprayed it with "PYM II" (my new favorite sealer), and it hasn't lost a sticker! We're redecorating her room with a garden theme... walls are grass green at the bottom, sky blue above so that all the pink and purple will show off to best advantage... and she's always on the lookout for pink plant pots and other accessories that she thinks her new room "really really super needs." *roll eyes*

I think a lot of what I'm sticking & starting now won't be ready until the spring swap, just as others have been mentioning. But please let me know if you're interested in thymes or oreganos... might be better to keep them in their little pots until they fill the pot with roots, but you could probably even stick the pot halfway into the ground where they'll go.

Baltimore, MD(Zone 7a)

Yes, Maam, Miz Jill.......
I promise not to grab your pens this Swap.....;o)

Is Teri coming? I have something I want to pass on to her--just for fun. Someone gave it to me--
but I have no use for it. I know exactly WHERE she needs to put it in her garden.

I may bring it and leave it with you--as I think you see each other now and then. Yes?

Will check my endless pot supply and see if I have something in pink. Not usable in MY house!
Many of the pots I collect at HD (from the plants getting trashed) are "decorative"....
Like for Orchids and Bromiliads, etc....Does Joyanna like any other colors that she thinks her room
"Really, really, super needs? " Maybe purples??? Greens? Not sure what all I have....

*******OH!!!!! OHHH!!!! I just thought of something I can make for her as a belated Birthday gift.....
More fun---fun---fun.....Have ALL these craft supplies just sitting around....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!*************:o))

Gita

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Speaking of Birthdays.....

Happy Birthday Roses!

Happy Birthday Bec of NoVa!

Hope your special day is simply marvelous!

Silver Spring, MD(Zone 6b)

Is Teri(Aspen Hill) coming? She's been awfully quiet, she must be busy getting all her plants dug up and transplanted. Don't see her name on the list of guest.

My name either; not sure if DH is coming along or not.

Sally, the package with paper products/etc. should get to you Monday they said..Mailed it this am..

So sorry Pippi! I added you. Thanks again for the box!

Q from Chantell
http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1275727/

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I haven't talked with Terri in a bit, need to check in with her... but yes, we do get together every so often even if there's no road trip involved!

Gita, you're a gem. Joyanna's favorite colors are pink & purple, but she'd probably go for anything with flowers, butterflies, polkadots... or anything light colored that she could embellish with pink & purple ceramic paints. We'll bring you a set of pens!

I'm setting up a group so I can dmail addres and directions, so you folks can plan your travel. But right now I m going back to bed and try to sleep... will continue dmail within days.

Middle of, VA(Zone 7a)

David - if there are some still avail may I have some of your Extracta Culinary Sage – Salvia officinalis ‘Extracta’ please?
Jill - hand up for the "industrial" markers - let me know how much you need please

annapolis, MD(Zone 7b)

Jill, I'd like 3 of the industrial markers, too. black please.

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.