Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Beginner Gardening Questions: Christmas & Spring Cactus and Cereus cacti

Communities > Forums > Beginner Gardening Questions
bookmark
Forum: Beginner Gardening QuestionsReplies: 3, Views: 27
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Chou Kim
Minneapolis, MN

August 24, 2012
11:36 AM

Post #9252278

I have Spring cactus and is dying. Leaves kept falling off..even the new buds. Help please.

Where can i find Cereus Cacti or nightblooming cereus in Minneapolis?

Thanks.

Kim.
ecrane3
Dublin, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
2:33 PM

Post #9252441

Can you post some pictures? It would also help to know how you've been caring for it--what sort of light does it get, how often are you watering, etc. In the absence of pictures and other information, my first guess on plant problems is always overwatering since that's probably the most frequent thing that people do wrong with their plants, but it's impossible to say for sure without having more info.
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 28, 2012
2:32 PM

Post #9257365

I agree with Ecrane, you need to give a little more info so people can help you out,
How long have you had the plants, what type of soil are they in, do you feed them, are they allowed to sit in saucers full of water, Most important, have you recently moved the plant that is in bud, they don't like being moved around when in bud, it seems to stress them and they can drop either the buds or the whole leaf.
the soil needs to be free draining, I like to mix a 3 hand trowels of shop or home made compost, 1 off horticultural sand and 1 off fine gravel / Grit, you can buy the grit / sand from garden store like DIY plant area.

Don't re-pot while the plants are in bud or they will be even more stressed but if you can, give us more info on how your growing them for now.
Good luck. WeeNel.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 1, 2012
5:33 PM

Post #9261852

Minneapolis might be the problem, you will need to search for a source farther south-probably- so many things can effect a light/heat loving plant so close to the northern lights

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Gardening Questions Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Cyclanthus bipartitus 'Gigant' bepah 3 Jun 11, 2010 9:05 AM
Welcome to the Beginner Gardening Questions forum! dave 53 Jun 18, 2013 4:28 PM
canna rhizomes help Allison_FL 20 Jan 16, 2013 6:55 PM
Where to locate my garden - light issues Martell 18 Apr 19, 2010 2:17 PM
Baby Oak Tree Seedtosser1 13 Jun 4, 2009 5:13 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America