Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Native Plants and Wild Plants: Southeast Natives Inticing Butterflies

Communities > Forums > Native Plants and Wild Plants
bookmark
Forum: Native Plants and Wild PlantsReplies: 3, Views: 79
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
JaneJabbour
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 24, 2012
2:14 PM

Post #9252425

What SE natives are calling butterflies to your garden?
There's a lovely pair of Tiger Swallowtails (?) working over my Lemon Queen Sunflowers. I think I forgot to read the plant description that said 80 inches! It's a lovely background plant that invites a wide variety of insects. The yellow color is distinctly more lemony/buttery rather than golden. Highly recommended if you like to attract wildlife to your garden.

Thumbnail by JaneJabbour
Click the image for an enlarged view.

sallyg

sallyg
Anne Arundel,, MD
(Zone 7b)

August 24, 2012
2:50 PM

Post #9252460

Very pretty picture, and all its parts!
JaneJabbour
Charleston, SC
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2012
7:32 PM

Post #9258859

Maypops are definitely Fritillary magnets. For some reason, this year was a bumper crop year for my Maypops. They've been popping up all over the place. I have two older vines growing at the base of two large cedar trees. They decorate the Cedars with their blooms and make them look like Christmas trees. Then along come the fritillary's by the dozens. I'm beginning to pay attention to which plants attract specific species of butterflies. Because this was such a great year for maypops, I have a feeling next year will bring multitudes of fritillary's.

ViburnumValley

ViburnumValley
Scott County, KY
(Zone 5b)

August 29, 2012
7:57 PM

Post #9258877

No pics - just back from CA.

However: the butterflies are all over the Valley, working such plants as Ironweed, Swamp Milkweed, Yellow Wingstem, and on some occasionally reblooming viburnums here.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Native Plants and Wild Plants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
FREE Florida DOT Wildflowers!! sungrasses 3 Apr 10, 2010 9:10 PM
The Dead Lawn Society BloomsWithaView 257 May 22, 2008 8:45 PM
Variegated Skunk Cabbage Penn_Pete 10 Mar 16, 2008 3:39 PM
Joe Pye is heading for the sky. raydio 51 Oct 18, 2008 11:16 PM
Native Plant Nurseries Equilibrium 97 Apr 4, 2008 4:00 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America