Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Dresden Plates Samplers, Now For the Fun Part

(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI(Zone 5a)

Almost to the finish line, time for a new thread.
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1267388/

This is the pattern: http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com/dynamic/?page=Free Patterns

We are swapping just the plate. Everyone will do their own background. Also everyone will do their own centers. The pattern calls for the plates to finish at 10". Decide if you want a color scheme or scrappy. Each participant will make 1 plate for each. person, so if we have 12 signed up you will be making 12 plates including your own. Due the end of September.
A slight change of plans...we are now making Dresden plates using pattern of choice. We will still comply with color requests.

SiliOleGma (Karen) I would like Christmas fabrics.

Helenethequeen (Helene) red & white.

Qwilter (Jean) scrappy but not too many dark colors

Catbird (Robin) scrappy all sorts.

Kizmo (Kathy) fall colors: oranges/rust/browns/dk.green/golds/dk.reds.

taters55 (Linda) blues & white.

Quilter5bdsr (Barb) Blue & White.

Heavenscape (Jaye) Bright & scrappy.

Barefoot T (Thunder) Black & white prints, grays & silvers,

abbisgranma (Marion)Scrappy bright spring colors.

Ladydragon5 (Janice) Scrappy batiks

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 6:34 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma

Let's show off. Here's what I have so far:

Photo 1 is from Barb & Helene, Photo 2 is from Jean & Kathy. I am going to have such pretty tree skirts.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 7:45 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma Thumbnail by siliolegma
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX(Zone 9a)

Karen, I got your plate also! Love the colors! Thanks.
I have all mine done, and they will go out soon!

(Pat) Kennewick, WA(Zone 5b)

Thanks for the thought Jean but lately I've been putting in 12 hour days at work and I'll be out of town 3 weeks in September. I just can't do more than drool at all of you ladies fabulous work! I have to get my pleasure from just watching you'all this time.

Fleming Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Those Christmas ones are LOVELY!!!!!! All that sparkle.

(Barb) Manchester, NH(Zone 5a)

Looking great Karen!!!

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

I have received three of the plates and I think this is going to be really great. I do wish you all would put your names on the back of the fabric as I have trouble remembering what I got from who unless it is right in front of my face! This getting old is not fun when it comes to remembering things.

The first one is from Helene and the second is from Barb. I love the fall colors of the one Barb sent and it goes beautifully with the one from Kizmo that came today. Hers was all fall colors, too.

Kathy, thanks, too for the recipe for Peach Cobbler that you sent. I am really enjoying anything peach these day. One of our farmers introduced me to a new peach called Canadian Harmony and I just love it. Larger than a lot of peaches with a little thicker skin but so sweet and juicy that you will love to just sit and eat one. i also made freezer jam with it and have already gone through one of the jars.

I thought i would also send along a picture of the quilt I finished for my DS & DDL. Several of us at the sewing house worked on this pattern called Island chain and we each used different fabric and different sizes. Mine is queen size and so I had to add an extra row of chains to the outside as well as the borders. It is made with 20 different batiks and I had a hard time choosing that many to go together. It was supposed to be 40! but I knew that was not going to happen. I do love it and so do they. My son saw me working on it and called "DIBS!"

Thumbnail by ladydragon5 Thumbnail by ladydragon5 Thumbnail by ladydragon5

Your chain is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Guess I need to add this pattern to my "list"!!!!!

Who is the Island Chain pattern designed by Janice? Hopefully I can get one here at my LQS...

Love those colors Janice!And that Island chain quilt is beautiful!

jean, I got your dresden pate today. Love the colors! Thanks so much!

(Marion) Havana, FL(Zone 8b)

Karen, I received you beautiful plate yesterday. Unfortunately we are having some serious issues with our internet the last couple of days. We think it is repaired now but only time will tell. Add, since Kim got home yesterday we have been busy gathering up the lawn items and putting them out of harms way. Not just for their protection but to avoid something blowing around. It is looking more and more like we are going to take a hit from Isaac so we have taken care of needed supplies. At the very least we are expecting some rather heavy rain in this area onto ground that is already saturated. Just hope none of my trees decided to fall!!!!!

Jean how is it your way?

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

Janice, I didn't really plan mine as Fall colors, but after I got them sewn together I realized that's what they were... While I was in the LQS, I just kept pulling colors out of the FQ bins to find something to go with the dk green piece. Bought 6 colors, then after I got them home, I ended up taking 2 of those out of the selection and replacing with 1 that I had in stash. Intended to go with purples and greens, but you see what my subconscious did to me...LOL Hope it fits in with your plan. My other choice that I had picked out earlier was brighter, looked like a neon explosion once I got it finished! It's currently hanging on the wall...
When I was little, I hated Gma's canned peaches! They just looked browned and yucky in the jars, and I passed the pies up for apple. Now I would rather have peach than anything! Hubby asked for peach cobbler for his birthday instead of cake, so we ravaged the local farmer's market for some Georgia peaches. The girls sold me some bruised ones for half price, but they were large peaches and Kristen and I ate as many as we sliced...LOL I normally make my cobblers with pie crusts, but my boys really like the recipe I sent you that has the cake-y topping. Either goes great with homemade ice cream!

Peaches and cherries....now those are my down fall. Bought both today to have on hand to eat in the event we loose power. Much better for us than cookies and such.

Victoria Harbour, ON

Janice, what a work of art!

Marion - the past 2 days have been GLORIOUS. Mid-80s, light breeze, low humidity & no rain. Did a ton of yard work. Mulched, edged, mowed. As far as I can tell, unless there is a change of path, we are just to get rain. Somewhere btwn 2" & 2' !!!!! I bought a case of water so don't know what else to do to prepare.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

now wait a minute Lady M...... oatmeal cookies with chopped dried peaches or dried cherries... (instead of raisins) My inner voice would insist that it was good eatin'.... LOL

Hoping you all who are in harm's way will be safe.

Janice I just love that island chain. That's one I could see myself doing.

Hey!!!! I didn't get a recipe for peach cobbler. Sniff, sniff

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 6:02 PM

Oh Kathy I am sure they would be excellent cookies but Kim nor I need to be having them...that whole diabetic issue. Our numbers are good but we want to keep it that way. If I were to bake a batch....have to do it again tomorrow. Regular cookie monsters here!!

I love the island chain pattern also. The quilt is stunning.

Fostoria, OH(Zone 5a)

The Island Chain pattern came from this book available from Amazon:
"Scrap-Basket Sensations: More Great Quilts from 2 1/2" Strips (That Patchwork Place)"

One of the ladies from the sewing house had the book and made copies of the pattern for all of us.
i couldn't resist when they said they all wanted to work on it.

I knew I had seen Island Chain somewhere recently!! It is a beautiful pattern and YOUR quilt turned out GREAT!!! A shining example of just how good that pattern can look!

Those cookies are good with dried cranberries too!! Don't ask me how I know!
I think I have that book here somewhere. Task for today - find it!!!!

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

yes they are! Dad used to bring home dried fruit a couple times a month. Had to find a way to use some of it up, so I experimented.... The best dried cherries were the ones he brought home from the food Co-op!
And if you mix all different types of dried fruits together, they make a lovely fruitcake - and I've never been a fruitcake fan.

I used to make a fruitcake that was actually good. It had more fruit & nuts than batter. Think I still have the recipe somewhere.

Okay ladies you need to stop!!! I am getting so hungry for cookies now I might just have to go bake a batch. Karen sounds like we like the same type of fruitcake...more fruit and nuts than batter. Always leave out the fruit I don't particularly care for......fun of being the fruitcake maker.

Off to corral a few more items even though Isaac has shifted a little more to the west. They are telling us to still prepare as so many things can/do happen.....ie: Charly in 2004 which did a 90 degree turn into Charlotte Harbor.

Have you ever speed read ahead a little and THEN caught your error when you did READ the post??? Heck... " Karen sounds like we like the same type of fruitcake...more fruit and nuts than batter" can BECOME "Karen, sounds like we are the same kind of fruitcake, more fruit and nuts than batter!!" LOL

I actually have good reading comphresion normally so when these "little" errors are found it shocks me! NOW my hearing is another thing ... when I don't respond in appropriate fashion, ASSUME I didn't hear the statement right!!

LOL Love it Pat, I do believe we ARE the same kind of fruitcakes especially the "nuts" part.
I have that hearing thing going on too. I've been expecting it as it happened to Mom, Grandmother and Aunts too.

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

LOL Pat.... I think I like being in the 'more fruit and nuts' section - I have more than enough 'batter' to suit me! ROFL I do the same thing, used to speed read to get thru stuff, but now it's so much a habit that I have to stop and go back to make sense of what I read..

The best fruitcake I've ever made was a mix of all the dried fruits I could find at WM: cherries, pineapple, peaches, pears, mango, figs, apples, apricots and golden raisins mixed in with toasted pecans, walnuts, almonds. There wasn't much batter to it, in fact it reminded me of just enough to 'glue' the fruit and nuts together, but after 3 weeks wrapped in cheesecloth and a teeeeeeny bit of brandy, it was the best thing I ever had on the holidays! Expensive to make, but even fruitcake haters at work came back for another 'little' piece.. Sad that I don't have those people to continue baking for, it would go to waste (or my waist) around here!

Karen, I didn't send you a peach cobbler recipe with your plate, but if you like I can email it to you. It's one of those no-fuss, cake-y types.. Oh and by the way - those Ultimate Krispy Treats that you shared on FB just added a pound or two and I haven't even made them yet!!!!!! LOL

I have to enjoy all these recipes vicariously as I'm diabetic. Every once in a great while I allow myself a tiny taste just to remember. You'd think I would be a tiny thing my self but.....

Linda thank you so much , my oh so loverly plate arrived today.

Glad to hear it made it there!

I got plates from Linda & Janice. Thanks ladies.
I really do like the 16 pieces more than the 20.

I'll bet I could make my own template for a 16 piece. I just might give that a try this evening.

Pat if you print out the pattern, there is a template. Just trace it onto a piece of plastic.

Received LK's block today...beautiful colors and so delicate looking.

I've gone to the link but I have not found a pattern to print out. I see instructions, a pattern for the circle but not the blade. What am I doing wrong?

Marietta, OH(Zone 6a)

me too.... Linda's arrived today! Guess I better decide how to start putting these together for my quilt! Thanks Linda! Thought I had posted, but can't seem to locate it.... Thank you Janice for your plate!! My quilt is going to be awesome!

Longboat Key, FL(Zone 9b)

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/dresden_plate/

the template is right on top of the circle within the instructions.

Odenton, MD(Zone 7b)

I have everything moved into my new place, am working on getting organized. I do plan on having my plates done and in the mail by the end of the month so don't give up on me. I have recieved about 5 I think so far, will post from whom when I find them in the mess, lol.

Thanks Helene, I had some fun looking at the patterns and made up quilt ideas. I need more ink in my printer!! LOL

Pat, I can mail you a copy if you'd like.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.