Photo by Melody
Guess what time it is? It's time for the DG County Fair! Now in it's sixth year, enter your blue-ribbon photos or mouth-watering recipes for a chance to win a gift subscription! Click here here to get all the details, dates and entry rules.

Sewing and Quilting: Dresden Plates Samplers, Now For the Fun Part

Communities > Forums > Sewing and Quilting
bookmark
Forum: Sewing and QuiltingReplies: 206, Views: 1,077
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9252573

Almost to the finish line, time for a new thread.
We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1267388/

This is the pattern: http://www.bunnyhilldesigns.com/dynamic/?page=Free Patterns

We are swapping just the plate. Everyone will do their own background. Also everyone will do their own centers. The pattern calls for the plates to finish at 10". Decide if you want a color scheme or scrappy. Each participant will make 1 plate for each. person, so if we have 12 signed up you will be making 12 plates including your own. Due the end of September.
A slight change of plans...we are now making Dresden plates using pattern of choice. We will still comply with color requests.

SiliOleGma (Karen) I would like Christmas fabrics.

Helenethequeen (Helene) red & white.

Qwilter (Jean) scrappy but not too many dark colors

Catbird (Robin) scrappy all sorts.

Kizmo (Kathy) fall colors: oranges/rust/browns/dk.green/golds/dk.reds.

taters55 (Linda) blues & white.

Quilter5bdsr (Barb) Blue & White.

Heavenscape (Jaye) Bright & scrappy.

Barefoot T (Thunder) Black & white prints, grays & silvers,

abbisgranma (Marion)Scrappy bright spring colors.

Ladydragon5 (Janice) Scrappy batiks

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 6:34 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma
Click the image for an enlarged view.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 24, 2012
4:52 PM

Post #9252590

Let's show off. Here's what I have so far:

Photo 1 is from Barb & Helene, Photo 2 is from Jean & Kathy. I am going to have such pretty tree skirts.

This message was edited Aug 24, 2012 7:45 PM

Thumbnail by siliolegma   Thumbnail by siliolegma         
Click an image for an enlarged view.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 24, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9252597

Karen, I got your plate also! Love the colors! Thanks.
I have all mine done, and they will go out soon!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 24, 2012
9:37 PM

Post #9252849

Thanks for the thought Jean but lately I've been putting in 12 hour days at work and I'll be out of town 3 weeks in September. I just can't do more than drool at all of you ladies fabulous work! I have to get my pleasure from just watching you'all this time.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
4:06 AM

Post #9252936

Those Christmas ones are LOVELY!!!!!! All that sparkle.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
5:50 AM

Post #9252978

Looking great Karen!!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
10:41 AM

Post #9253251

I have received three of the plates and I think this is going to be really great. I do wish you all would put your names on the back of the fabric as I have trouble remembering what I got from who unless it is right in front of my face! This getting old is not fun when it comes to remembering things.

The first one is from Helene and the second is from Barb. I love the fall colors of the one Barb sent and it goes beautifully with the one from Kizmo that came today. Hers was all fall colors, too.

Kathy, thanks, too for the recipe for Peach Cobbler that you sent. I am really enjoying anything peach these day. One of our farmers introduced me to a new peach called Canadian Harmony and I just love it. Larger than a lot of peaches with a little thicker skin but so sweet and juicy that you will love to just sit and eat one. i also made freezer jam with it and have already gone through one of the jars.

I thought i would also send along a picture of the quilt I finished for my DS & DDL. Several of us at the sewing house worked on this pattern called Island chain and we each used different fabric and different sizes. Mine is queen size and so I had to add an extra row of chains to the outside as well as the borders. It is made with 20 different batiks and I had a hard time choosing that many to go together. It was supposed to be 40! but I knew that was not going to happen. I do love it and so do they. My son saw me working on it and called "DIBS!"

Thumbnail by ladydragon5   Thumbnail by ladydragon5   Thumbnail by ladydragon5      

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
11:04 AM

Post #9253267

Your chain is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Guess I need to add this pattern to my "list"!!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
11:20 AM

Post #9253285

Who is the Island Chain pattern designed by Janice? Hopefully I can get one here at my LQS...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
11:28 AM

Post #9253296

Love those colors Janice!And that Island chain quilt is beautiful!

jean, I got your dresden pate today. Love the colors! Thanks so much!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
12:19 PM

Post #9253353

Karen, I received you beautiful plate yesterday. Unfortunately we are having some serious issues with our internet the last couple of days. We think it is repaired now but only time will tell. Add, since Kim got home yesterday we have been busy gathering up the lawn items and putting them out of harms way. Not just for their protection but to avoid something blowing around. It is looking more and more like we are going to take a hit from Isaac so we have taken care of needed supplies. At the very least we are expecting some rather heavy rain in this area onto ground that is already saturated. Just hope none of my trees decided to fall!!!!!

Jean how is it your way?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
12:20 PM

Post #9253358

Janice, I didn't really plan mine as Fall colors, but after I got them sewn together I realized that's what they were... While I was in the LQS, I just kept pulling colors out of the FQ bins to find something to go with the dk green piece. Bought 6 colors, then after I got them home, I ended up taking 2 of those out of the selection and replacing with 1 that I had in stash. Intended to go with purples and greens, but you see what my subconscious did to me...LOL Hope it fits in with your plan. My other choice that I had picked out earlier was brighter, looked like a neon explosion once I got it finished! It's currently hanging on the wall...
When I was little, I hated Gma's canned peaches! They just looked browned and yucky in the jars, and I passed the pies up for apple. Now I would rather have peach than anything! Hubby asked for peach cobbler for his birthday instead of cake, so we ravaged the local farmer's market for some Georgia peaches. The girls sold me some bruised ones for half price, but they were large peaches and Kristen and I ate as many as we sliced...LOL I normally make my cobblers with pie crusts, but my boys really like the recipe I sent you that has the cake-y topping. Either goes great with homemade ice cream!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
12:36 PM

Post #9253370

Peaches and cherries...now those are my down fall. Bought both today to have on hand to eat in the event we loose power. Much better for us than cookies and such.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

August 25, 2012
1:53 PM

Post #9253450

Janice, what a work of art!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
3:17 PM

Post #9253555

Marion - the past 2 days have been GLORIOUS. Mid-80s, light breeze, low humidity & no rain. Did a ton of yard work. Mulched, edged, mowed. As far as I can tell, unless there is a change of path, we are just to get rain. Somewhere btwn 2" & 2' !!!!! I bought a case of water so don't know what else to do to prepare.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 25, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9253601

now wait a minute Lady M... oatmeal cookies with chopped dried peaches or dried cherries... (instead of raisins) My inner voice would insist that it was good eatin'... LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
4:01 PM

Post #9253618

Hoping you all who are in harm's way will be safe.

Janice I just love that island chain. That's one I could see myself doing.

Hey!!!! I didn't get a recipe for peach cobbler. Sniff, sniff

This message was edited Aug 25, 2012 6:02 PM
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 25, 2012
4:17 PM

Post #9253625

Oh Kathy I am sure they would be excellent cookies but Kim nor I need to be having them...that whole diabetic issue. Our numbers are good but we want to keep it that way. If I were to bake a batch...have to do it again tomorrow. Regular cookie monsters here!!

I love the island chain pattern also. The quilt is stunning.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

August 25, 2012
5:53 PM

Post #9253702

The Island Chain pattern came from this book available from Amazon:
"Scrap-Basket Sensations: More Great Quilts from 2 1/2" Strips (That Patchwork Place)"

One of the ladies from the sewing house had the book and made copies of the pattern for all of us.
i couldn't resist when they said they all wanted to work on it.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9253810

I knew I had seen Island Chain somewhere recently!! It is a beautiful pattern and YOUR quilt turned out GREAT!!! A shining example of just how good that pattern can look!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
5:08 AM

Post #9254000

Those cookies are good with dried cranberries too!! Don't ask me how I know!
I think I have that book here somewhere. Task for today - find it!!!!

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9254203

yes they are! Dad used to bring home dried fruit a couple times a month. Had to find a way to use some of it up, so I experimented... The best dried cherries were the ones he brought home from the food Co-op!
And if you mix all different types of dried fruits together, they make a lovely fruitcake - and I've never been a fruitcake fan.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
8:39 AM

Post #9254228

I used to make a fruitcake that was actually good. It had more fruit & nuts than batter. Think I still have the recipe somewhere.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 26, 2012
10:42 AM

Post #9254371

Okay ladies you need to stop!!! I am getting so hungry for cookies now I might just have to go bake a batch. Karen sounds like we like the same type of fruitcake...more fruit and nuts than batter. Always leave out the fruit I don't particularly care for...fun of being the fruitcake maker.

Off to corral a few more items even though Isaac has shifted a little more to the west. They are telling us to still prepare as so many things can/do happen...ie: Charly in 2004 which did a 90 degree turn into Charlotte Harbor.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9254476

Have you ever speed read ahead a little and THEN caught your error when you did READ the post??? Heck... " Karen sounds like we like the same type of fruitcake...more fruit and nuts than batter" can BECOME "Karen, sounds like we are the same kind of fruitcake, more fruit and nuts than batter!!" LOL

I actually have good reading comphresion normally so when these "little" errors are found it shocks me! NOW my hearing is another thing ... when I don't respond in appropriate fashion, ASSUME I didn't hear the statement right!!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9254481

LOL Love it Pat, I do believe we ARE the same kind of fruitcakes especially the "nuts" part.
I have that hearing thing going on too. I've been expecting it as it happened to Mom, Grandmother and Aunts too.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 26, 2012
6:42 PM

Post #9254783

LOL Pat... I think I like being in the 'more fruit and nuts' section - I have more than enough 'batter' to suit me! ROFL I do the same thing, used to speed read to get thru stuff, but now it's so much a habit that I have to stop and go back to make sense of what I read..

The best fruitcake I've ever made was a mix of all the dried fruits I could find at WM: cherries, pineapple, peaches, pears, mango, figs, apples, apricots and golden raisins mixed in with toasted pecans, walnuts, almonds. There wasn't much batter to it, in fact it reminded me of just enough to 'glue' the fruit and nuts together, but after 3 weeks wrapped in cheesecloth and a teeeeeeny bit of brandy, it was the best thing I ever had on the holidays! Expensive to make, but even fruitcake haters at work came back for another 'little' piece.. Sad that I don't have those people to continue baking for, it would go to waste (or my waist) around here!

Karen, I didn't send you a peach cobbler recipe with your plate, but if you like I can email it to you. It's one of those no-fuss, cake-y types.. Oh and by the way - those Ultimate Krispy Treats that you shared on FB just added a pound or two and I haven't even made them yet!!!!!! LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
7:26 PM

Post #9254820

I have to enjoy all these recipes vicariously as I'm diabetic. Every once in a great while I allow myself a tiny taste just to remember. You'd think I would be a tiny thing my self but...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9260668

Linda thank you so much , my oh so loverly plate arrived today.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
1:45 PM

Post #9260702

Glad to hear it made it there!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 31, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9260793

I got plates from Linda & Janice. Thanks ladies.
I really do like the 16 pieces more than the 20.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9260848

I'll bet I could make my own template for a 16 piece. I just might give that a try this evening.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9260884

Pat if you print out the pattern, there is a template. Just trace it onto a piece of plastic.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

August 31, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9260938

Received LK's block today...beautiful colors and so delicate looking.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

August 31, 2012
5:59 PM

Post #9260942

I've gone to the link but I have not found a pattern to print out. I see instructions, a pattern for the circle but not the blade. What am I doing wrong?

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 31, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9260944

me too... Linda's arrived today! Guess I better decide how to start putting these together for my quilt! Thanks Linda! Thought I had posted, but can't seem to locate it... Thank you Janice for your plate!! My quilt is going to be awesome!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
9:00 AM

Post #9261409

http://www.robertkaufman.com/quilting/quilts_patterns/dresden_plate/

the template is right on top of the circle within the instructions.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
9:13 AM

Post #9261420

I have everything moved into my new place, am working on getting organized. I do plan on having my plates done and in the mail by the end of the month so don't give up on me. I have recieved about 5 I think so far, will post from whom when I find them in the mess, lol.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
9:45 AM

Post #9261451

Thanks Helene, I had some fun looking at the patterns and made up quilt ideas. I need more ink in my printer!! LOL

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
10:57 AM

Post #9261500

Pat, I can mail you a copy if you'd like.

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
11:02 AM

Post #9261502

Nah, but thanks. The Sweetie will get to it this weekend for me but thanks for the offer!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
12:34 PM

Post #9261578

I received a plate from Linda today. I love the shades of blue that she used...Where can I find the template for the 16 blade plate? The Robert Kaufman one only has 11.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
1:09 PM

Post #9261608

The one Linda sent me is a 16 blade. Linda, what template did you use?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
1:38 PM

Post #9261636

Another oh so pretty plate in my mail today. Thank you Janice.

Linda's plate on the left and Janice's on the right.

Thumbnail by siliolegma

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
1:59 PM

Post #9261656

http://3hourspast.com/2011/03/06/dresden-plates-a-visual/ here is one tute with 16 blades

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 1, 2012
2:16 PM

Post #9261669

http://www.wannaquilt.com/patterns/dresdenfan/dresdenfanpattern.pdf

this is so informative. however prompts a 12 blade dresden but good other info.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
2:22 PM

Post #9261675

I used the Dresden plate ruler.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
2:55 PM

Post #9261701

Which one? Mine is the Darlene Zimmerman ruler and makes the 20 blade plate.
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 1, 2012
6:21 PM

Post #9261894

I see how small my 20 blade looks next to the one from Linda. i don't know what happened but i used the template ruler my friend shared with me. If a 12' BLOCK with a 10" finish circle and you used the #4 line on the ruler. All of them came out to not want to lay flat and when i took them in to lay flat they ended up at 8-9"
not 10. What did I do wrong and I would be glad to make them over if you can tell me how to make it larger. Am I making any sense?

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 1, 2012
6:25 PM

Post #9261897

So enjoy seeing these Dresden plates arrive, saw how easily the we're put together on utube that I'm mad at myslf for not joining in this sway. Drats and more drats

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 1, 2012
9:23 PM

Post #9262009

Ya, me to Betty! On the other hand... I'm going to be gone 3 weeks in September and I have 100 UFOs!!
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9262062

Since there are many pieces at the center you have to cut & sew accurately.
Were they not flat in the center or at the outer edge? You might try lying them out after you do the points, before you sew them together, and see if all the raw edges line up and there is no overlapping. Then you would know they were cut accurately.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 2, 2012
4:41 AM

Post #9262081

Think is will try to make the template and try one today..

Is this the method you tried

http://www.google.ca/search?q=utube dreden plate&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&client=safari

Watched the 1st utube video by Missouri quilts

Don't want to get off track before I even start

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
6:43 AM

Post #9262190

Not for sure on the brand, I will let you know when I get back home Tuesday. At the beginning we were talking about rulers, and I ordered one. I cut out 20, and it was too many, so I used 16, and still had to take larger seams, especially at the bottom of the plate.
Jaye and I were talking on the phone about that problem, and she said because the sides were cut on the bias, they stretch when being sewn. She pressed hers really good before sewing, and that helped the stretching problem.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
6:46 AM

Post #9262192

Hi everyone.
Real life seems to keep throwing its' unexpected curves at me.

But here to say I got Jean's AMAZING plate, Karen oh so delicious colors and Janice cute plate.

LK's, bigger one truly surprises me with LSU colors, and got it yesterday, in time for the first game! Ehem..brought LSU good luck too :D
After measuring, I think LK uses 4 and a half, instead of 4. Maybe with that extra 1/2, she needs less blades and the fan turns out bigger? Thanks LK!! I'll be attempting the bigger ones, less blades for sure!

Mine is at 4, and have completed so far 5 plates ... all almost similar in size to those using the DZ and @ 4.
To avoid sewing on the bias (you know how they stretch), I press the blades first before joining to others.
Karen, I'm loving this so much!! Made duplicates too!!

Betty, I'll gladly mail you one. Using the DZ ruler is a breeze.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
6:48 AM

Post #9262197

We cross posted LK!!
Sew-lock Holmes found your issue of wobbly plates. Yes 20 fans for a 4 1/2 are too much!! Still I love that big generous size!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
6:52 AM

Post #9262200

What a wonderful way to start my day...seeing a post from Jaye. I am reading all this chit chat about using the ruler and different number of blades...very interesting. I guess I just love Dresden plates as the number of blades makes no difference to me. I know I am trying to match mine to the others but for my personal use...I love the mixing up.

Have a wonderful day and gret day tomorrow. Remember: don't labor to hard.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
7:08 AM

Post #9262214

Marion, if I had received LK's plate first, I'd be doing the same!!! Easier to work with 16 than 20.
But you're right about the different sizes.. make one's quilt truly unique!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
7:11 AM

Post #9262218

That's is what I am enjoying so much with the different sizes. I have the ones I have received already on the background I have chosen. As I lay them out and start thinking about the assembly. I see a wonderful unique top taking shape. Each brings it's own personality and loveliness.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
7:24 AM

Post #9262230

It's easy to make a template for any number of blades.
Trace a large round object (dinner plate).
Fold in half and half again. Take a 1/4 and fold it in half and half again and you have the basic template for a 16 wedge plate.

If you want 12 sections, you take a 1/4 and fold it in 3rds.
For the 20 sections, fold the 1/4 into 5 even sections.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 2, 2012
7:26 AM

Post #9262235

Thanks Jean!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
7:48 AM

Post #9262258

Great idea you have, I will have to try that!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
8:12 AM

Post #9262299

Thanks Jean!!! I've been trying to figure out for a 16 blade fan and you hit the nail on the head for me...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 2, 2012
8:15 AM

Post #9262302

I'm loving all the different variations I'm getting. It will be so fun to put them together into tree skirts. You're so smart Jean, I'll be trying that to make a pattern as I want to make more of the different sizes.

YAY Jaye!!!! Good to see you.

This message was edited Sep 2, 2012 10:16 AM
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
10:18 AM

Post #9262412

Not so much "smart" as cheap & good at algebra. Couldn't see having to buy a separate ruler for every variation.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
11:44 AM

Post #9262467

Oh, algebra was not my subject at all...in fact any math was a demon for me during high school. Cheap is good!!! I really do like it when you explain things like you did.

How is the weather your way? Drying up yet?
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 2, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9262487

Nice thing about working with a circular design, they all have a circumference of 360 degrees. No matter how big you make it, that is the constant. So you can draw any length line out from the center, make it any size you want, and the math stays the same.

We have been rain free for 48 hours!!!!! After the 4" we got Thur/Fri, rain free days are what we need. I'm hoping it stays this way so I can (hopefully) get the front yard mowed tomorrow afternoon. The back yard is still partly under water so will be awhile before I can mow, or even walk, back there. We have had over 60" of rain since May.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 2, 2012
12:33 PM

Post #9262504

That is a lot of rain!!! We also have been rain free for a couple of days but one section of Tallahassee got pounded yesterday...glad it wasn't where the stadium was or there would have been some drowned fans. Just got my mower back from my son so I will use it tomorrow in the back yard. Provided we aren't another another heat advisory, I will.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 3, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9263319

not sure whats doing or has done on LBK. Here we had a beauty of a week but needed rain now and this week.

Rec'd my plate from Linda. 16 blades do look good too.Makes for Semetric positioning of the 4 colors

OT: DD's step grand daughter is going off to nursery school tomorrow. She is 4 and has always been with her Moma.I'd love to give her a gift in the AM to take in with her. Any suggestions.Me I can see a raggedy Ann doll. to late to make... However does any one have a pattern. You guys always have good ideas?!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 3, 2012
4:41 PM

Post #9263753

Just one maybe silly question Jean, After we get the pattern sections cut for however many blades we want to make, we need to add the 1/4" seam allowance don't we?

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 7:16 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 3, 2012
5:05 PM

Post #9263783

You girls are addictive. Lol. Watched a video today..36" Dresden plate with smaller dresdens at each corner..a must done in Christmas fabrics..I'm hooked..think the trick is ordering The templates which I did

Will be perfect Christmas gifts

http://www.nancyziemantv.com/quilting-videos/easy-dresden-holiday-wall-quilt/

This message was edited Sep 3, 2012 9:00 PM

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 3, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9263833

Jean, YES, add the seam allowance to your pattern before you cut.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9264323

Betty, what makes you think we are "addictive"? We are girls just having fun...that's all. Ah, glad to see we got to you with the Dresden Plate.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 4, 2012
6:17 AM

Post #9264333

I'm having so much fun that I'm doing duplicates!
See what you started Karen? Lol!!! More craziness for me!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 4, 2012
6:54 AM

Post #9264361

HI Jaye! Missed you so much. I've really enjoyed this and am making more for my self too. I'm even making what amounts to a giant one 60" across with 12 blades and then will put these from the swap on the points for a tree skirt.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
7:22 AM

Post #9264389

Marion, you are indeed..ordered the template that will do all sizes from 6" to 48?60"
Have a full tote of christmas fabrics so hoping the templates arrive soon so I can start the project
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 4, 2012
7:35 AM

Post #9264407

I foresee Dresden plates on everything now.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
8:18 AM

Post #9264471

Likely...template was $19.98 and shipping $15.49 NOT the best deal I've signed up for lol

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
12:13 PM

Post #9264706

I got Thunder, and Janice's plate today! Lovely colors!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
12:17 PM

Post #9264714

Then you are home safe and sound LindaKay..bet you are ready for a rest!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 4, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9264716

Yes, I am home, and about to take a short nap, before hubby gets home!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 4, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9264734

Don't sleep too long otherwise you will be up with our night shift

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 4, 2012
7:11 PM

Post #9265121

OUCH Betty, I hope you use that little expensive tool a LOT!!! LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 5, 2012
4:11 AM

Post #9265452

templates weren't Pat but the shipping sure was..I'm sure they will fit in business envelope..I'm a sharer lol so am sure someone will use them.

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 6, 2012
8:02 AM

Post #9266867

Happy Birthday Barb!

Thumbnail by Kizmo

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 6, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9266950

Happy Birthday Barb..

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 6, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9267075

Thanks ladies. Looing forward to going out for dinner tonight...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 6, 2012
11:13 AM

Post #9267107

Happy Birthday Barb! Hope you have a wonderful day!

Thumbnail by taters55

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
8:22 AM

Post #9267906

I hate to bring this up but...Since I love the 20 blade DP I am thinking...
If any one wants to have a 20 blade DP I now have enough fabric here in NJ to make them. Please let me know and I;ll ship.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
8:43 AM

Post #9267927

Helene, I am perfectly happy with the one you have already sent to me. I am loving the look that I am getting with the various sizes. Thanks for offering.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
8:57 AM

Post #9267933

Sounds as though you are all already incorporating them into projects.

I received an email saying the templates I ordered Sunday were shipped and a 3-5 day delivery..so hoping they come in today. Already been to post office at 8am but no go..here's hoping..so looking forward to seeing your projects

I'm on a mission because of you all
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9267946

I prefer the 16 blades so am happy with what I have Helene.

And it is raining again!!!!! We went for 6 days w/out and that was so nice. Started again yesterday afternoon and it is now POURING. I'm sure hoping I closed the sun roof!!!!
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
9:16 AM

Post #9267947

I have been appliqueing them to my backgound material as they have arrived. Just playing with the ones I have received, I realize it is going to be a nice quilt top. Of course I won't do any final assembly until I see all of the plates. Betty, what colors do you plan to be using or will it be a scrappy?
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
9:17 AM

Post #9267949

Jean, we missed rain yesterday but it isn't looking very good here now.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9267959

I'm going to do the 36" with 4 matching on the corners for a Christmas piece for DIL 's

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9268025

Limited with fabrics here. I do have a ydg of white withtiny polka dots (meant for napkins but not being use for that.
So i'll machine applique on 12=1/3" not sure about the dot (center) should be red ???

You guys are real troopers. Jean, when you come to MD I am off of NJ 78 close to PA, Thinking 3 hrs fromMD. Beautiful country here. I teetering of going home soon. House is 71 deg.. I am so cold here. Outside is fine...

So this is what I have here. 2nd pic. this 2 ft away from my BR window at 2: midday. Inundaded with them as the property has a spring feeding pond and fresh water ways.

so,there you have it for today.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen   Thumbnail by helenethequeen         

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
10:50 AM

Post #9268037

How blessed you are..I don't see the deer during summer but they sure drop in when the snow falls..nothing like opening yours eye each day to such beauty!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
11:49 AM

Post #9268087

betty I remembered my friend "carol doak.com" her work.She does christmas ornamentd. has has them at the white house several times. I bet you could make these as you have so many talents. All the faces are painted by her, the rest she cottages out...no not fortunate, too manyanimals here destroy everything. Blue Heron eats the fish in the pond. foxes arre a pest and never mind watching for the bear, cubs and mamma.

No not fotunate too many.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9268093

No luck with me either Helene, I'm very happy with the plates I have. LOL

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9268207

Helene, I will have to go check out her website..yes I do paint Christmas bulbs..now how did you know. Lol. I especially do scene's of Georgian Bay as give always, do snowman with recycled lightbulbs..paint Santa/snowman faces on some etc etc. always give 4 to each grandchild so that when they leave home they will have a collection a will remember me from time to time at Christmas..

Yes, guess these critters are nice to look at but can cause mayhem..

Just got back from town, ISAAC within a few minutes of having sunshine rolled in..could barely drive to get home..slowing down now but bet there is some damage done..
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
1:24 PM

Post #9268208

Helene - my schedule is so full for my week in MD. Also my dog sitting so need to be "close to the house".
I keep our thermostat at 78 and I still get chilly on these rainy days.

Starting next week, nites will be in the mid-upper 60s.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
1:42 PM

Post #9268229

Betty you have no clue until you se her work. She used to be a quilter Actually fiber arts teacher.

in Fl I keep 76 all year round. Heat u pwhen need, AC on when need. Sheer luxury...
welll perhaps will see you some day in FL. When is the B shower? This birth IS around the corner hope all is well

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9268237

Helene, fabulous pieces..saw a few vests that I made here, wonder if they could have been her patterns?

Didnt see the Christmas balls though..is there another link perhaps?

Your Isaac just hit us..Lordy it's stormy..also calling for rain all day tomorrow..wish town stores would have had the supplies I needed..drats, could have sewn all day.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2012
2:37 PM

Post #9268272

sorry this is the site I mean. Gladys Boalt is her name
http://www.gladysboalt.com/ you'll see what I mean. No christmas balls but christmas collections. We have Heidi etc. Also Sherlock Holmes etc.some more.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9268320

So Isaac is hitting Canada & FL!!!!! Of course, if the remnants of Isaac get in some form down here they will re-name him Nadine!!!!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 7, 2012
3:55 PM

Post #9268329

Issac is supposed to hit us overnight tomorrow night. I sure hope it leaves quickly as Brandon's last horse show of the season is Sunday!!!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 7, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9268335

Doinga number here Barb! Going to unplug sewing machine just incase
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

September 7, 2012
5:43 PM

Post #9268403

That is unbelievable about the weather but not surprised. Yeap we are watching another depression in the gulf. So far, no rain today...makes 2 days in a row.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 11, 2012
4:03 PM

Post #9272317

Got the templates in the mail tonight, checked my stash and cutting..tomorrow at work I can sew at least the tops and turn into hopefully perfect point..this dresden plate is 36"..doesn't take long to use up the stash I'll tell you

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 11, 2012
5:03 PM

Post #9272404

Betty, that is so pretty!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
10:46 AM

Post #9275938

I am back... Hello everyone :-)

I found a perfect fabric for my centers, while I was on vacation!!!!! and some Christmas, that I sure hope Karen likes... :)

an Angel (thanks again) sent me an old computer to use, until I can get a new one (thanks to other angels :-) )

I have received plates from: Helene, Kizmo, Barb, Jean, Karen, and Linda K. thank you very much. they are all BEAUTIFUL ! !

I will be sending out some soon.

Betty that BIG plate is gonna be gorgeous! what are the measurements at top of wedge, and at bottom??? Maybe I can make a template??? would be great for a table topper for my sisters round kitchen table.

hope everyone is in good health and doing some great stitching...sure have missed Y'all...

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 15, 2012
11:09 AM

Post #9275951

I guarantee Karen will love any Christmas fabric plates.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
11:52 AM

Post #9275980

Oh, I'd not thought of a topper for a round table. I just happen to have a round table. Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 15, 2012
12:44 PM

Post #9276005

Just on my way out for the evening..horse raising/casino and buffet..not my thing but got to do what you got to do

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
2:58 PM

Post #9276115

Betty, that is beautiful!

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 15, 2012
5:24 PM

Post #9276198

yes beautiful!!!!

what were the dimensions of the wedge before sewing???

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 15, 2012
7:15 PM

Post #9276256

Horse racing?? what breed? I LOVE horse racing!!
ladydragon5
Fostoria, OH
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
3:41 PM

Post #9276912

Mine went out some time ago and everyone should have theirs by now. Thunder, you did not mention having gotten one from me. Is that the case or did you just miss me?

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 16, 2012
4:21 PM

Post #9276958

How are you doing Janice? Are you still coming East this month? I would really like to get together. Right now things are a bit up in the air regarding Norm. We are waiting for the oncology appointment as his melanoma has returned. I'll keep you posted though as to my availability...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 16, 2012
8:26 PM

Post #9277289

Janice, I got your plate.
Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
3:32 AM

Post #9277439

Fingers crossed & positive thoughts out for Norm and hugs to you Barb.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

September 17, 2012
4:25 AM

Post #9277464

Thanks Jean. Hopefully we will hear of appointment date today. They are trying to get an MRI, a PET scan and an appt with the thoracic surgeon all on the same day!!! It is 65 miles one way to there so they try to accomodate us as much as possible... One of the many reasons Norm wants to go there and besides, he still has faith in the doctors there.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 17, 2012
8:52 PM

Post #9278402

Janice, I did not yet get a plate from you.

Barb, so sorry to hear of this, hugs and love to both of you, and many prayers...

Miss Betty ... are you ignoring me????? nah !!!! just missed my question TWICE LOL
what size are the edges of your wedges??? narrow top, and wider bottom...would love to make a circle for my sisters round table...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 17, 2012
11:11 PM

Post #9278499

thunder, ignore you, never..plan was to include a template in the package I was sending Saturday, in the meantime, here are the dimensions for the 36" Dresden
6 1/4" x 1 5/8"

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
5:45 AM

Post #9278609

Betty, can you make me a paper copy of the plate also, I can get it from you in October when we meet? Thanks!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
5:53 AM

Post #9278624

I have some plexiglas glass, will see if I can cut you out the 36" and 42" as well as the smaller ones for the corners and pack it in my bag for Frankenmuth. bag keeps getting bigger. Lol

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
6:09 AM

Post #9278636

YAY can't wait for Frankenmuth!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
6:11 AM

Post #9278638

Just a few more weeks! :-)
l00katme
Los Angeles, CA

September 18, 2012
6:14 AM

Post #9278639

Looking great.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
9:29 AM

Post #9278867

100katme..nice to see you found us..did go to the address listing so I could check up to see what your first name is..no could find you listed..

Wish it was this weekend..wearing a sad face..no I'm not, it will come soon..trying to figure out how many

LindaKay
Joyce
Karen
Me (bringing along a few friends for company)
Sue

Am I forgetting someone?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9278893

I'm so excited to really all of you.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9278915

Have you met any listed so far?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
10:47 AM

Post #9278935

No the only person from here who I have met is Janice aka Lady Dragon. She used to live in MI. my hubby made her a turntable cutting board.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9278947

Met Janice and Stacey in Frankenmuth a few years ago, then at Joyce's and was thrilled they were both able to come to the Sistah's reunion June/July

I've met many of DG friends and have to say they are as lovely if not more lovely with hearts of gold than they are on-line..thrilled each time I meet someone new.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9278991

So far there is...
Betty, Karen/Siliogma
Susie/Deejay9
Alicia/Ahoogstra
Judy/seedtosser
Joyce/Cookie
myself
and maybe Janice.

The only one I have met is Susie.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 18, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9279026

I am so hoping to be able to be there. I'll probably go on down to daughters the night before as it is closer than going from here. Unless I just stop off where the rest of you are staying on Fri.

This message was edited Sep 18, 2012 2:06 PM

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9279107

Karen, were all coming in from different directions, Judy is coming in from her home, Betty is coming from Canada, I will be driving in with Judy Saturday morning early, to meet everyone at one of the cracker barrels for breakfast!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 18, 2012
3:05 PM

Post #9279196

Joyce will be arriving in the afternoon, I will likely not get there until 10 or so unless I can get off a few hours earlier..we have a room for 2 nights at Birch Run

ABVI & Suites Birch Run
9235 BIRCH RUN RD.
BIRCH RUN, MI 48415

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 18, 2012
6:16 PM

Post #9279392

No,problem Betty, my Sisters place is about 2 hours away, so we will leave in time to meet you for breakfast Saturday.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

September 19, 2012
6:27 AM

Post #9279794

It will be a nice cozy gathering!
I know there will be lots of hugs and chatter over good food.
I wish you all a pleasant get together, and quoting sistah Judy "Giant Armwraps" from me!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 19, 2012
7:45 AM

Post #9279861

Wish you could join us too Jaye!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
8:49 AM

Post #9281045

these dresdensare driving me to drink Baileys.

So I started to sew them onto white background with decorative stitches, only to find out that I have one with the white on the right side up and the other with the wrong side up. consequently I made table mats, which turned into pillows for my red quilting room chairs. They are, however very beautiful.
I will be careful with the rest and than have to add to them to make 16 for a quilt w/o sashing.

Thumbnail by helenethequeen

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2012
9:04 AM

Post #9281069

I have finally gotten started on these and am enjoying making them. I should be able to even meet the deadline for them. I love how they are all turning out.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9281099

That seems to be the consensus, I was scared to death until I started making them and then I actually had fun with them. I know I will be making more in the near future.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9281109

well I do love making them it's just from the get go they were against me. Are beautiful in red and white you must admit.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 20, 2012
10:28 AM

Post #9281137

Love the red/white

Looking forward to getting background fabric for my project this weekend..sooo going to take advantage of Joanns discount coupons

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2012
10:51 AM

Post #9281191

They've had them online twice just recently. I'm going tomorrow to get fabric for Christmas sewing.

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
11:59 AM

Post #9281246

I love the red and white too! So pretty!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 20, 2012
12:31 PM

Post #9281261

so, two of them ended up as seen here- beautiful, just beautiful

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2012
2:34 PM

Post #9281358

very nice, Helene! Those red and whites are awesome!

Karen, got to thinking today while I was sewing those butterfly dresdens... If you cut long wedges, like Betty did, out of a light seasonal background, maybe with some glitzy metallics, the plates that you have rec'd could be separated into halves and sewn onto the ends like scallops around a tablecloth...

Thumbnail by Kizmo   Thumbnail by Kizmo         

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 20, 2012
2:51 PM

Post #9281368

Now there are two pieces of outstanding quilts..are the yours?

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 20, 2012
3:08 PM

Post #9281378

Hmmmm good idea Kiz, I'll have to give that some thought.

Helene those red and white are simply loverly. Makes me wish I 'd kept some of your fabric. LOL JK

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 20, 2012
4:26 PM

Post #9281436

Well, it seems I will be purchasing a new iron tomorrow, the one I purchased at the beginning of the summer will not get hot. I do believe I have a 20% coupon for Bed, Bath & Beyond that will come in handy.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
4:34 PM

Post #9281446

Helene, beautiful chair pad :)

nice designs you found there Kiz...

Kizmo

Kizmo
Marietta, OH
(Zone 6a)

September 20, 2012
5:15 PM

Post #9281475

Betty, I only wish those were my creations! They were on a Google search, and after seeing the dresdens in the borders, I'm seriously thinking on doing something similar with my fall plates. There sure are plenty of creative minds out there!

Hi Thunder! Glad you're back online, how's Ms Malena these days?

Catbird, what are you working one? So far my cheapie iron is holding up, but I have an older back up if it goes out. Those new ones that have the automatic risers are nice, but pricey. Not sure what type to buy if I do need another one...

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 20, 2012
5:50 PM

Post #9281506

My Sailor bought me a "shark" last Christmas, I think it is fantastic!!!

Ms Malena is great, turned three in August!! and just started school !!! 3 days a week for 4 hours at a whack...a new pre-school program they just started on the base...she did not like the first couple of days, but seems to be enjoying it more as time goes on.. I will post a few pictures when I get my new computer
it should be here tomorrow !!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 20, 2012
8:15 PM

Post #9281620

We a have a xs cargo in Barrie, was lucky to buy a good 'shark' for minimal $$$, next one I buy will be the same.

Qwilter
Fleming Island, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 21, 2012
6:04 AM

Post #9281884

I stick to Black & Decker irons. They seem to last forever, or until I drop them!!!!

So far I think I only have 4 plates. Every time I'm in the studio I think I need to see what I have.

Robin, if you want to save the postage on mine, I'll be up there 3-11 Oct. Staying just down the rd from where I lived. Would like to see you.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
9:39 AM

Post #9282082

hand applique versus machine applique. I do like the hand work for such an old block

Which will you do?

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 21, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9282136

I am getting a Black & Decker iron today, they seem to last the best for me. Dropped the last one too many times, that was when I got a cheapie iron that just died. Back to B&D.

Jean, it would be great to meet up with you while you are up here, also gives me a couple extra days to make your plate, lol.

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 21, 2012
11:19 AM

Post #9282228

I will machine appliqué only because its to be put out at Christmas only and with busy patter not likely you'll see much of it..admire those who take the time to hand appliqué though.

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

September 21, 2012
12:04 PM

Post #9282271

I would machine applique but only because my hands would not work to do it by hand.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 21, 2012
12:15 PM

Post #9282276

yes for chrisstmas stuff machine is good.

I too struggle with hand app. not a good stitcher...

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 21, 2012
12:42 PM

Post #9282303

Actually if you hand quilt there is so much for the eye to see you don't notice how it was done

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

September 21, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9282652

Helene, I think both are beautiful but I woud go with MACHINE. I love the fancy machine stitches.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
9:01 AM

Post #9285972

Janice, I got your plate !!!! it is loverly, thank you.

I found a fantastic fabric, while on vacation, to use for my centers. Now trying to decide on background ????

here's my girl...

Thumbnail by barefootT

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 25, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9286011

She's simply adorable!!!

Thunder, mailed the thread catchers to you along with a few things for the 12 month Christmas quilt and you should have it by weeks end.

However, think 2 of the 3 need the packets for the pin cushion, you'll see one done and the other 2 need filling..was too rushed to get them finished (thought they were-remembered I gave a lot of the DG girls at the gathering one so ooops)

Just went downstairs to zellers to purchase an iron..now I'm all set here at the office...a sewing machine and an iron, cutting board/ironing pad...what else do I need?

I know I wasn't in this project thread but you've given me the incentive to move right along with you

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 12:29 PM

Thumbnail by Bettypauze

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
9:34 AM

Post #9286024

Thanks Betty :-) now I am off to sew...

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 25, 2012
9:35 AM

Post #9286025

Betty, make sure you unplug that iron when you leave for home!

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 25, 2012
9:56 AM

Post #9286048

OMG you know me so well

If you hear that a mall burnt down in Ontario you won't have to guess why??? lol

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 25, 2012
10:07 AM

Post #9286057

LindaKay

this video really shows you how to set it together

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EC6CHODCg20&feature=related

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2012
10:53 AM

Post #9286085

I am working on my plates. found this to make nice centers: with a pinking shear cut your center 1/2" larger than required. I am making mine 3-1/2". Cut a piece of freezer paper the exact size you want yourcenters to be. Iron freezer paper with shiny side to the wrong side of the fabric. baste (1/4" stitches) all round the fabric.gently pull it around the freezer paper and press on the wrong side and the right side. Now gently remove the freezer paper disc. Beautiful.

This is ny quest, however in reverse colors. White with red and white plates.

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2012
10:58 AM

Post #9286087

This message was edited Sep 25, 2012 2:05 PM

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

September 25, 2012
12:18 PM

Post #9286133

nice..looks so modern with the dark background!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 25, 2012
1:08 PM

Post #9286171

Betty, your centers, being you only have 5, could have machine embroidery. or could be gold stars. Just a thought.

Catbird423

Catbird423
Odenton, MD
(Zone 7b)

September 29, 2012
11:00 AM

Post #9289987

I made it to the post office this morning and mailed plates. I still have 3 to make so those won't go out in the mail until Monday.
:>( Almost made the deadline.
Jean, I will hold onto yours until you get up here and we can meet.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
8:01 AM

Post #9292024

Betty, Helene.. you've both been busy!!
I need to have one of you or Barb for a neigbour to get my sewing mojo gowing!!

Mailed most Friday. 2 went out today and the last one will be next trip to the P.O. Somehow that packet got left behind :(

These are going to you Karen.
As a deep appreciation for a wonderful swap idea that got me hooked.. yes, you're getting an extra.

Thumbnail by heavenscape   Thumbnail by heavenscape         

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
8:03 AM

Post #9292027

I took pictures of all that I made. Let me know if you wanted a sneak peak of yours or want to be surprised!
Can't believe they all turned out beautiful with all these different choices!

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 1, 2012
8:16 AM

Post #9292041

pictures are good thing

Bettypauze

Bettypauze
Victoria Harbour, ON

October 1, 2012
8:21 AM

Post #9292046

Jaye, I'm going to a sewing class this evening, doing a machine embroidered christmas sock, fabrics I put together you have in the 2nd dresden plate all except I believe the gold color..lol

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9292054

So, Helene, would you like to see yours?

Betty, what a coincidence! The gold fabric isn't from a Christmas line. I had that for years, and used some last year for Janice's Christmas row blocks too.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:25 AM

Post #9292055

I am BAD... I am Late...

hoping to get mine finished up in the next few days...they are my top priority.

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:28 AM

Post #9292061

meant to add, those plates are very nice Jaye, and I am loving your background...LOL

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
8:41 AM

Post #9292077

Mine can wait Thunder!! I'm actually thinking of a boring color to show off the plates.
Any suggestion, except for white? Lol!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:52 AM

Post #9292097

Jaye, I would love to see my plates please?

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:54 AM

Post #9292102

off white?? LOL yellow? green? purple??? any of those mottled colors, could be bright color, or more subdued...

IMHO any color would work as you are doing scrappy...

I don't know what color I am doing either...I have two different fabrics that I am trying to decide on which one for centers????

I will take some pictures later.

Happy stitchin'

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
8:56 AM

Post #9292106

Hope you won't be disappointed LK.
I mailed yours today, along with the Heart Block.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

barefootT

barefootT
(thunder)Wildwood, FL
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9292110

very pretty!!

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
8:58 AM

Post #9292111

Jaye, that is beautiful!

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 1, 2012
9:05 AM

Post #9292120

Very nice Jaye. These were a fun new block for many of us and I think we were pretty surprised at how easy they turned out to be. I know I was...

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
9:06 AM

Post #9292122

Thunder I like the idea of yellow...
this is going your way sistah!

I'm just glad I have enough stash that I only have to buy a FQ red, to complete all these plates.
Kathy Kiz is right, I use up a lot of my jelly rolls.

Thumbnail by heavenscape

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 1, 2012
9:08 AM

Post #9292130

Love the black and white!

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
9:10 AM

Post #9292132

Barb, you're right, this is fun.
I'm doing more for personal gifts too. Would just love to "exaggerate" on the "difficulty" value when I tell my friends that!! Lol!!

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
9:23 AM

Post #9292147

Yes, Heaven, buy into THEIR thoughts about how TERRIBLY difficulty this block is!!
Helene, you asked about background other than white, I REALLY like black as a neutral, it's dramatic and doesn't compete with the colors.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
9:25 AM

Post #9292152

Beautiful plates Jaye, shucks here I was thinking they were all mine! :-)

Thunder, don't feel bad about being late...so am I. Lost a lots of momentum when Mom started having more trouble and I couldn't leave town due to all my doctor's appointments. Not to mention, he wasn't allowing me to drive down by myself for a while. Hopefully the CPAP is adjusted correctly but will find out more on Wednesday.

I am ever so happy we had this Dresden plate exchange as this pattern is one of my favorite. LOL Jaye, I am using boring white for my background but only because of where I plan on using this quilt. It seemed the best color for using on the brass bed in the guest room.
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
9:28 AM

Post #9292155

Pat, we cross posted. I like the idea of black also...so dramatic. Humm, think I might have a thought of more Dresden plate blocks. Thanks for refreshing me "old brain" with the black. I feel like I am still in a fog since returning home.

heavenscape

heavenscape
TabacVille, NC
(Zone 7a)

October 1, 2012
9:36 AM

Post #9292168

Black sounds good too Pat. May have to get some Amish black fabric, as the one I have has some grey in it.

Don't sweat it Marion, you're excused from doing mine. Understand completely with what you're going through. If you insist, mine can wait till next year..
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
9:42 AM

Post #9292177

I am going to finish all of them sweet Jaye. Just mentally couldn't wrap my brain around sewing for a while. Funny thing, I didn't realize how really badly I was sleeping until I got my machine...still doesn't excuse me from being so draggy. I need to sew to get myself more relaxed and back into the routine.

Speaking of Amish black...maybe we could do an Amish block exchange sometime? Thoughts anyone?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9292198

Oh Marion QUIT!! LOL... too many IDEAS and not enough time!!! I have enjoyed watching all your of ladies' lovely blocks coming together and I can't wait to finally make one of these! They are so beautiful and I will take ya'all's word that these are easy (that you are not woofing me, as my DH would say!)
abbisgranma
(Marion) Havana, FL
(Zone 8b)

October 1, 2012
9:55 AM

Post #9292202

Sorry Pat, it just got the best of me. LOL We aren't just woofing you...they are easy and addictive. Wait, I think that has been said.
how was your trip?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 1, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9292215

LONG and exhausting. These past 3 weeks of class 4 days a week and then drive 200 miles after class, work a day at the clinic and / or be on-call THEN the memorial for my Uncle and that was another 250 miles each way. We picked up my BIL on the way down but IL and my Dad rode back with us (my sister went down early and stayed an extra 2 days). My knees and ribs are still unhappy about riding in the back seat with my knees pulled up! I'm only 5'4" but my BIL is 6'3" and I sat behind him, NEVER again! HE can take a turn in the back seat!! LOL

New thread: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282784/

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 7, 2012
3:29 PM

Post #9298843

http://www.shutterfly.com/share/tab.sfly?fid=038600fc767171f8c9f3edf1ebadc1fb

Some pictures of the quilt show I am talking about. I hope it opens for you

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

October 7, 2012
5:04 PM

Post #9298960

I get to shutterfly but I can't find the pictures. I don't know this site so I'm stuck!

siliolegma

siliolegma
(Karen) Traverse Cit, MI
(Zone 5a)

October 7, 2012
5:23 PM

Post #9298973

Same here Pat.

Quilter5bdsr

Quilter5bdsr
(Barb) Hillsboro, NH
(Zone 5a)

October 8, 2012
3:55 AM

Post #9299225

Me either...

helenethequeen

helenethequeen
Longboat Key, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 8, 2012
7:12 AM

Post #9299394

sorry had to work on this. I have used shutterfly for so many years but couldn't get it straight. The site is hard to navigate. Have to use flckr any how try this
http://comein.shutterfly.com/#&emid=site_sitecreated&cid=SHARE3SXXXX worked for me

taters55

taters55
(Linda Kay) Del Rio, TX
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9299404

Ladies scroll up, there is a new thread... Come on over... That link worked, looking at the photo's now...

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1282784/

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Sewing and Quilting Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Quilt Block Exchange cont..... Luluguid 76 Dec 22, 2010 6:07 PM
Looking for a Shopping Cart Cover Pattern???? red_princess_71 17 Jan 4, 2010 9:44 AM
Necktie Skirts & Purses SandiTX 4 Oct 7, 2008 3:15 AM
Lascaux.....and brush water melody 27 Feb 29, 2008 7:46 PM
Free Accessory Patterns Yuska 13 Apr 18, 2008 9:11 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America