AuthorContent
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
7:09 AM

Post #9253041

MOrning Clay Kids!
A few weeks ago I saw a You Tube video on drop fram clay. I tried it with som eold picture frames and it worked really well. I e mailed the lady that did the video and she gave me the name of a potter that makes the drop frames. I have e mailed him 2 times an dlefta cell message but he hasn;t replied yet.
Is anyone in our group handy with wood and nails? I'll pay!

Deb
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
8:47 AM

Post #9253144

http://lapellaart.blogspot.com/2010/10/dropped-platters.html

This is the website and the picture frames used for dropping. I have been looking everywhere for a deep set frame and haven't found them yet. If I don't hear back from Matt Brown then I may order some Barnwood Frames that I have seen on th einternet.

Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
10:44 AM

Post #9253255

Deb, I just use frame that I picked up at garage sales (and a couple that I had in my 'garage sale' pile of stuff at home); took the glass and backs out and they work just fine. Really any frame will work, if you're set on a special shape/size you could also go to one of those frame making places (I think michaels or hobby lobby do them too).
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
11:38 AM

Post #9253307

I have used several small frames too but I really want that deep cut effect.

deb
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

August 25, 2012
12:05 PM

Post #9253333

Sorry.. I had popcorn on my fingers.. and couldn't say much! ok all cleannow. :-)
Anyway... I really want a square look to make trays etc. I like that deep frame look. I did find a guy that can make them... I sent him the websites info so we'll see what he says. I have been to every store in the area. Michaels, Target, Wal-Mart, Kohls, Ross,Party City, TJ Maxx, Bed, Bath & Beyond, Pier 1... although they have nice frames that are inexpensive.. no one has that deep look.

Deb
ItsMeChrissy
Union Grove, WI
(Zone 5b)

August 25, 2012
12:30 PM

Post #9253365

That's why i was thinking one of those 'make your own frame' places...i think around here they are called 'the great frame up'... you could make the frame whatever shape you like. For some reason I think you can make frames at michaels, but maybe it's just hobby lobby.

Here's a link to the great frame up locations: http://www.thegreatframeup.com/custom.asp?id=461845&page=111 there's one in VA but no clue if its near you, if not maybe there's another place like it ?
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 2, 2012
9:33 AM

Post #9293555

Oh my god... that dropping frame process is flipping genius and I can't wait to try it! As soon as I'm back into shape to do some potting I'm trying it! I've been out of commission for the past six weeks due to some problems with the nerves in my lumbar that's been affecting my back, left hip and thigh. It'll probably be another six weeks before I'll let myself pick up 25 pound bags of clay...

Anyway, I did a Google search for you Deb - "custom picture frames stafford virginia" - without the quotation marks, and found some shops that don't seem too far away from you. I'd recommend you go to an independent shop rather than a chain store, simply because some of the independent shops will have a more interesting selection.

http://goo.gl/maps/bLzWv

I'm sure if you called the stores before you drove all the way out to confirm that they have some really deep cut framing edges, but be forwarned - even a small custom frame with the kind of depth you're looking for is gonna be pretty doggone expensive. Trust me, I work in an independent art shop that only sells pre-made standard size frames - and some of the snazzy big-sided ones can be $50 for an 8x10" frame.

Something else I just thought of... why does the thing you drop the clay slab into have to be a wooden picture frame? Why couldn't you try using wooden or plastic bowls? Just grease the bowls before you drop 'em...

Oh, and another thing... I just read the comments section of the page you linked to Deb. The potter gives a link to her friends' Etsy store, so I followed it and found his ad so you can order a custom drop frame from the guy who made the frames she uses. Here's the link to the Etsy ad...
http://www.etsy.com/listing/61386426/drop-frame-for-ceramics?
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
6:52 PM

Post #9294143

PLants!
I placed my drop frame order with Matt Brown via his ETSY store and they should be shipped this week.I Have used other things but I am so excited to get these drop frames! As soon as they arrive I'll take a picture.

Matt can make 3 frames of your size choice for $50. Since my kiln is small I ordered 8x8,10x10 and a rectangluar one that is 6x8.

Contact him! He made the franes for LaPella Pottery who does the Drop Frames video!

Deb
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 2, 2012
6:55 PM

Post #9294150

OH! and I have used plastic bowls, other wooden frames etc.

deb
Luvmypond
Troy, OH

October 3, 2012
3:26 AM

Post #9294382

Oh, I see me dropping a lot of clay this winter. What a great idea. The wheels are spinning in my head.
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 3, 2012
12:38 PM

Post #9294862

whoohooooo!
deb
imapigeon
Gilroy (Sunset Z14), CA
(Zone 9a)

October 4, 2012
9:27 AM

Post #9295702

I've been out of commission as well---foot surgery in August and I can't throw yet. I've been SO bummed. But I think this drop-frame process might be the way to go for Christmas gifts!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 4, 2012
10:10 AM

Post #9295741

I hope you feel better soon!!!

Oh yeahhh the drop frame, bowls is easier then throwing!

Deb
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

October 6, 2012
4:18 AM

Post #9297235

When I finally can let myself do some pottery it's certainly gonna be handbuilding and not throwing. I'm gonna have to fix up my wheel so that I can stand at it while I throw. Not-so-oddly enough, I think a LOT of the pain I was experiencing (and am still recovering from) was caused by throwing pottery. The main pains were (and still are) hanging out in my left hip joint, where I always brace(ed) my elbow when centering on the wheel.

Glad to have helped MommaDeb! Sometimes those comments sections at the bottoms of stories are really helpful!
mommacat11
Stafford, VA
(Zone 7a)

October 6, 2012
10:37 AM

Post #9297527

I hope you start to feel better soon!

Deb

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Pottery, Clay and Ceramics Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Kiln fired clay questions... WUVIE 144 Sep 1, 2009 3:13 PM
Claylovers' Topics: Bios / Work / Glazes / Firings, etc! #2 zenpotter 66 Jan 8, 2009 7:22 PM
Pottery,clay jcoats123 25 Jan 11, 2009 3:01 AM
Pottery,clay,ceramics,kilns, firing, sculpture, etc. jcoats123 192 Sep 10, 2009 7:52 PM
completed one pot jcoats123 6 Jun 23, 2013 9:02 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America