Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

August 25, 2012
11:32 AM

Post #9253299

This year has been the worst ever for aphids and ants on my pepper and okra plants.
I know the theory has always been that the aphids come to the plants, then the ants find them and trap them and they form their relationship that way.

My temps are in triple digits most of the time for about 3 months of summer, 112 for 2 weeks recently.

Previously, I saw aphids (even those trapped by ants) only in the nice moderate temps of springtime, 70's low 80's here. When it got hot, no more aphids. I'd treat with soapy water sometimes if they got too bad. Regardless, they weren't around for very long.

My question is this, is it possible that the ants are storing aphids inside their colonies and bringing them to the plants and depositing them on there? It almost seems like this would be the only way for an aphid to survive these temps. Maybe the older, juicier aphids can take the heat and live longer than an egg hatching in extremely hot temperatures? Or are there aphids that can thrive in this heat from larvae stage?

OK, I'm probably nuts, but just wondering if some evolution might be taking place that no one knows about yet.

Or maybe everyone suffers aphids all the time and I'm just ignorant, but I know around here, hot weather means no more aphids. That's when they leave and the spider mites come.

Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

August 25, 2012
12:03 PM

Post #9253331

http://www.arbico-organics.com/category/pest-solver-guide-aphids

Sure enough, the ants do store the aphids and place them on the plants.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 25, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9253341

I knew that the ants "harvested" aphid eggs to over-winter them...strange relationships in the bug world...here is a bit more info from UC Davis that includes some info about heat.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7404.html
back40bean
Decatur, GA
(Zone 7b)

August 25, 2012
6:35 PM

Post #9253741

Thank you both for the informative links. I've also been noticing ants along with aphids but I had no idea they were linked in such an interesting way.
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

August 27, 2012
1:52 PM

Post #9255888

This is almost creepy the way these 2 bugs interact. I wonder what the ants feed their prisoners while they overwinter them. Must investigate more on this and thanks for the Davis link, very good one.

themoonhowl

themoonhowl
Prairieville, LA
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9256706

The ants do not trap live aphids over winter. The ants carry aphid eggs into their mound over winter and carry the aphid eggs back out to the plants in the spring. You are most welcome for the link.

kittriana

kittriana
Magnolia, TX
(Zone 8b)

September 3, 2012
7:31 AM

Post #9263192

The ants 'farm' the aphids, milk them, but never noticed them quitting because of the heat, I do know ants can start tearing into the okra fruits and blooms and harvest parts of these as well where we live, you find the ants up inside the pods.
Pugzley
Lake Elsinore, CA

September 6, 2012
8:53 PM

Post #9267624

Yes, and they're causing damage to my Asian long bean blooms, too. Plus the gophers decided to have a go at them at the same time (long bean roots). The ants were carrying aphids to beat the band today (to the beans). Grrrr

I'm beginning to think I need to chain up an anteater in my garden before these things destroy all of it. I gave the peppers a superprune because of the aphid/ant damage, the fruits were curling and stunted.

I still have time to start over, but this thing doesn't seem to be letting up, they're getting more plentiful.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Garden Pests and Diseases Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hollyhock Rust ??? snuggles 8 Feb 25, 2008 1:41 PM
Pests: Calling all slug experts! (Not for the faint of heart) candleberry 162 Jun 18, 2014 7:41 AM
PROOF that milk kills mildew Wintermoor 26 Jun 26, 2007 4:54 PM
These ants are a bane Dinu 18 Nov 13, 2007 5:18 PM
Getting rid of yellow jackets ButterflyGardnr 23 Jun 18, 2009 2:34 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America