Photo by Melody
It's time now to VOTE in our 14th annual photo contest! Voting ends November 7, so be sure to cast your votes for your favorites in each category here. Good luck to all contestants!

Article: Holding Out for Hardy Geraniums: Cranesbill wild?

Communities > Forums > Article: Holding Out for Hardy Geraniums
bookmark
Forum: Article: Holding Out for Hardy GeraniumsReplies: 1, Views: 8
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Katbrid
Rockford, IL

August 25, 2012
7:18 PM

Post #9253779

I live in a wooded yard and have Cranesbill growing wild everywhere! Problem is that they only produce tiny purple flowers that are barely visible. The ones I see in nurseries and photos have lots of blooms. Any advice?
Audrey
Hadley, PA
(Zone 5a)

August 31, 2012
5:35 AM

Post #9260179

Katbrid,
I have a similar species geranium of some sort that self-sows everywhere, and produces only tiny magenta flowers. It is one of my worst weeds, so I hate to admit I planted it myself! That was so long ago, however, that I've forgotten what type it is. I just keep yanking it up because it's more trouble than it's worth. But I doubt I'll ever be completely rid of it. You might want to replace yours with a variety that has more impressive flowers.

Keep in mind, however, that most geraniums only bloom heavily once a year--usually in early summer. Some of them will produce lighter flushes of blooms later, but I haven't seen any yet that I would consider ever-blooming.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Holding Out for Hardy Geraniums Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Love those Geraniums Oberon46 0 Aug 15, 2012 8:51 AM
Beautiful! Bookerc1 1 Aug 15, 2012 4:26 PM
drought tolerant too bobsgirl 0 Aug 20, 2012 7:59 AM
Deadheading kitrocks 0 Aug 29, 2012 11:07 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America