Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Do any of you have an all-in-one washer/dryer combo?

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

If so, what brand and model do you have? I'm curious if they work well.

At some point, we might like to put a washer/dryer in our linen closet upstairs. The knees just aren't what they used to be and the basement doorway and steps setup is too narrow to accommodate a chair lift. LOL We have a tiny raised ranch house, so have to think small.

I'm talking about something similar to the below, though we wouldn't necessarily need a non-vented unit. Could we vent one out the attic?

http://products.howstuffworks.com/asko-non-ventilated-single-drum-washer-dryer-wcam1812-review.htm

Thumbnail by gardenwife
Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

I cannot image a worse choice.
You can see some reviews: http://www.ajmadison.com/cgi-bin/ajmadison/WCAM1812.html

Before i read the reviews, I knew this Swedish all in one would be expensive to purchase and expensive to repair.
There are 2 other all in one units that are also expensive and costly to repair.

A better choice would be 2 separate units: a washer that stands on the floor and a dryer that sits on a shelf above the washer. Self-condensing units are not the best either; otherwise there would be a lot more of them.

There are many smaller units made as "cubes" for just this style. If you put a washer on the second floor, most zoning departments require a special drain or drain pan for leaks, which is very realistic.

I'd suggest going to a local store and have them come and take measurements and set you up. They should be able to get you a carpenter if you need it. Don't forget you need a water source and drain.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

I wondered about their expense after I got to reading more about them. If a unit could vent up into our attic and out, it wouldn't be difficult for us to put a vent in. The linen closet we would put it in backs up against our shower. There's a large panel in the back of the closet to allow access to the plumbing. We'd be able to tie the washer drain into the tub drain, wouldn't we? Putting in a drain pan wouldn't be a problem.

What I wish we could do is build a small addition to our house and make room for a laundry room. But that's not going to happen. ;)

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

Only a licensed plumber could tell you if you can tie in laundry outlets. It depends on the health of the existing plumbing and if it is up to code. Keep in mind that if a hose should break or there should otherwise be a leak, without a real drain you could have a disaster of great proportion. Something to discuss with your plumber as well. He/she has seen everything.

Springfield, VA

Quote from cathy166 :
Only a licensed plumber could tell you if you can tie in laundry outlets. It depends on the health of the existing plumbing and if it is up to code. Keep in mind that if a hose should break or there should otherwise be a leak, without a real drain you could have a disaster of great proportion. Something to discuss with your plumber as well. He/she has seen everything.

I completely agree with you that a certified plumber could tell......

San Jose, CA

Yes, without licensed plumber you could not solve your problem.

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 2:27 AM

This message was edited Nov 2, 2012 2:41 AM

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

gardenwife, is that your only problem? Sometimes when we get older we find that there are things with our digs that just don't work for someone our age. Like upstairs bedrooms, bathtubs we can't get in and out of, etc. Ain't it hell to get old? Sometimes making a list of pros and cons about things that might or have come up would make it easier and better to find a different house if possible. I know that is a big move at an older age. But, sometimes it is the best one. Like a smaller house since the kids are all out. etc.

My mom had the same problem you do only she was falling down the stairs when carrying laundry. We had to lock the door so she couldn't go down there. Then what to do about her laundry. She was by herself so a smaller unit might work. on and on.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

We're only in our mid-40's, but eventually do want a single floorplan home. However, we renovated our basement for my MIL to live with us in an apartment of her own, so we'd have to have a home with that arrangement wherever we went. We're really not in a good market or situation to sell and move, so we're here for a while. We've thought about getting a chair lift at some point. Our basement stairway is pretty narrow, though.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

The chairlift would be for your MIL? Might want to take her to look at them. Also take measurements before you do. I have seen them, but never tried to use one. Also, don't know what she weighs but probably a weight limit on them also. Just a thought.

Good luck, and yes, don't ever forget the one floor house plan for when you retire. Means a lot.

Stamford, CT(Zone 6b)

You might look into a "dumbwaiter" shaft to lift loads up and down like a little elevator. Can be mechanical or electrical, but it is usually not necessary. And no, you could not put your mother-in-law in it for safekeeping.

Newark, OH(Zone 5b)

Nope, it would be for us. We both have a lot of problems with our knees. She's 73 and her joints are in better shape than ours! LOL Cathy, actually, I'm fortunate to have a great MIL. It was I who suggested she come live with us. :) I wish we could put in a dumbwaiter, but furnace ductwork and all that good stuff would have to be re-routed. It would be a huge undertaking. I think we're just stuck for a while.

Our Frigidaire frontloader's rear bearing went out and it will cost more to fix it than it's worth. We're looking for a new washer now. I think we'll go with a top-loader this time, and try to get a good deal on a floor model. Our repair guy is terrific...Put down his tool bag, spun the tub inside the washer, picked up his tool bag, and said we are better off replacing it. He said he's fixed these, but honestly the machine is 9 years old and he couldn't in good conscience suggest fixing it at this point. He didn't even charge a service call.

Northeast, WA(Zone 5a)

Well GW, mine had a bearing out in the pump and I had it replaced. $300+ to fix it. But, that is the first thing that has gone wrong with it and this repairman said the machine sounded good other than that, and I would be better off repairing it than replacing it because he said I would not be able to buy a machine as good for what it cost to fix it. I realize he is pushing it for the work. But, I agreed with him. I paid more for the machine in the first place to get a good one because we live so far away and trip charges are so high. They cost as much as the repairs some times. That bill for the pump included the trip charge.

However, I am really curious as to why you are going for a top loader after having a front loader. When I was not very old, my mom got a Bendix and it was one of the first automatic washers I think and it was a front loader. But, after all these years I was shocked to see front loaders coming back. I didn't like it then and I don't think I would ever have one.

Cathy had a good idea with the dumbwaiter, if that is the only issue. Too bad you can't find a place for one. They don't take up much room.

My folks lived in a 2 story house and then my dad became incapacitated. They took out a very nice built in buffet to put in an elevator. I understand that the fellow who bought the house took out the elevator and was having the buffet rebuilt. It was a very old home in other homes like it. A very nice area.

Union, WA(Zone 8b)

I used the stackable washer/dryer for over thirty years. They are good.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.