Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening: Need help SOON! Chrysalis in danger!

Communities > Forums > Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening
bookmark
Forum: Hummingbird and Butterfly GardeningReplies: 6, Views: 61
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
10:06 AM

Post #9254348

We just discovered 3 chrysalis's in the wheel well, and on the rim of a tire. Can anyone tell me if they can be moved to a safer spot? Or are they going to have to bite the dust at about 6am.?

If it makes any difference, they are Gulf Fritillaries.

This message was edited Aug 26, 2012 12:07 PM
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
10:54 AM

Post #9254388

never tried this w/ a gulf frit, but w/ a monarch chrysallis you can gather up the silk where it is attached with a needle, and stick a pin through this thread to attach the chrysallis to another surface. usually I stick them to foam insuladion or cardboard. Good luck.
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
11:18 AM

Post #9254404

Thank you for the info. The silk is SO small, but , nothing ventured, nothing gained! Thanks. :-|
BCH521
Homeworth, OH
(Zone 5b)

August 26, 2012
11:51 AM

Post #9254428

let me know if it worked. I guess they at least have a chance this way.

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 27, 2012
1:25 PM

Post #9255847

I have moved some chrysalises but not gulf fritillaries. At any rate, these chrysalises are attached in just one place and so should not be difficult. The method i use is to gently remove where they are attached and tie a string (like thread size) around the attachment material, then, with the string that is left i tie the two ends together to make a circle and hang them from a branch or leaf of a plant like a Christmas ornament. A wheel well? They should know better than this but i've seen some chrysalises in some pretty strange places. Good luck...you can do it!!! :-D
tlm1
Jacksonville, FL
(Zone 9a)

August 28, 2012
7:07 AM

Post #9256732

Well, I'm sorry to say that I was not successful in my attempts at relocating the Gulfs. :-(
But I am pleased to report that 7 more Chrysalis have appeared on my front porch, and there are about 30 more cats still munching in the garden. I just hope that they stay away from the cars!

vitrsna

vitrsna
Colima
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 28, 2012
8:38 AM

Post #9256853

For the future, sometimes you can tie a thread around the place where the chrysalis is attached and then gently remove the silk stickum with a fingernail, say. The relocation is easier that way...don't worry. It takes a little practice and it looks like you are going to have a fine crop of Gulfs as things are.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hummingbird and Butterfly Gardening Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
save the butterflies!!!!!! eyesoftexas 1 Mar 19, 2010 10:18 PM
Gulf Frittilary Caterpillar busy_bee_or 8 Sep 21, 2007 6:11 PM
University of Florida butterfly exhibit Night_Bloom 9 Apr 12, 2007 9:24 PM
What am I? konkreteblond 26 Jul 1, 2007 10:51 PM
What are these on my milkweed? margaran 31 May 1, 2009 7:26 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America