AuthorContent

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 26, 2012
12:52 PM

Post #9254467

I have a couple of Stapeliads that are blooming for the firsts time ever. First is Orbea commutata, second is Huernia hallii and third is Huernia bayeri.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Click an image for an enlarged view.

helenchild
Decatur, GA

August 26, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9254483

Nice!
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 26, 2012
1:14 PM

Post #9254485

Does O commutata indeed smell a little of Kalamata olives? that's what Miles says at his site.

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 26, 2012
1:20 PM

Post #9254492

Thanks for sharing the pics. I've just starting collecting Stapelias. Grew some when I was about 11 years old and now that I'm just getting to retirement I was given one by a neighbor a couple of months ago which rekindled the interest. Went crazy buying everything i could find. About 10 orders of plants or cutting from ebay which gave me variety but a high price and then found six small pots at Walmart for $1 each, then a three gallon pot crammed with one plant in Kona last week. I split that pot up into 15 smaller pots. So now I have dozens of pots. Now have to take care of them and wait for the blooms.
How many do you have and any tips to share.
Minime8484
Chandler, AZ
(Zone 9b)

August 26, 2012
3:40 PM

Post #9254598

Very nice, Nancy!
I've got several Stapeliads (Stapelia, Huernia, Orbea), but have never had any flower (though they all seem to be doing well...).
Is this the 'normal' time for flowering?

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
12:12 PM

Post #9255701

I also have Huernia schneideriana (Pic 1), Huernia grandiflora (Pic 2), Orbea baldratii (Pic 3 now) & O. baldratii (Pic 4 in the fall like Nov. 2011 when it normally blooms) All the others seem to bloom mostly in the summer like June, July, Aug. Although H. schneideriana is setting buds now.
The main thing to me is do not overwater them. I grow all mine in pots so I can control the water. I keep them in light shade here in Arizona because our sun is so intense. I give them a shot of fertilizer now and then in spring/summer. They are such interesting plants.

I got that O. commutata from Miles. He has great plants! You could say the flowers smell like kalamata olives I suppose. I don't care for the olives nor the smell of the Orbea!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2012
5:58 PM

Post #9256266

Nice! Nancy. My Huernia schneideriana is blooming now.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Click the image for an enlarged view.

amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 28, 2012
12:02 PM

Post #9257127

Hi Nancy, I figured you might have gotten some of those from Miles.

I could swear some of my stapeliads must smell like spoiled milk. Such a strong smell like that last week.

I know these smells aren't pleasant per se, but I love them for almost the same inverted aesthetic that makes me love fiercely armed or dead-stick plants: the appeal of the repellant or unappealing. I'm fascinated by the niche which these plants (and their pollinators) fill in the environment. Too bad my yard is such a pale impersonation of their habitat.

He's doing such interesting work branching out into stapeliads the last couple years. He has many unusual species from seed (and hybrids if that's your thing). Besides a few mail orders this summer, I bought a bunch of his succulents in person at InterCity Cactus and Succulent Show and Sale a couple weeks ago.

Baja_Costero

Baja_Costero
Baja California
Mexico
(Zone 11)

August 28, 2012
5:49 PM

Post #9257594

Ol' Stinky is at it again. Flower opened (most of the way) today. Not so faint odor like dog poo at this early stage, no flies on the scene yet. The shiny green ones will catch a whiff soon no doubt.

Stapelia gigantea is the most common plant of that type around here, by far. I'm used to it flowering around the start of fall (which coincides with my birthday). I was reading about this species on the web and came across this pearl of wisdom, which I learned the hard way two years ago.

> a plant should not be moved when its buds are being developed.

Or else... no stinky for you. Here's the whole article

http://columbus-cactus-club.webs.com/Stapelia%20gigantea.htm

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 4:55 PM

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero

helenchild
Decatur, GA

August 28, 2012
7:27 PM

Post #9257725

My ol' stinky bloomed last week! They have got to be one of the most fascinating flowers.. hairy leather.
And the plant is tough as nails too. Throw a piece into the back forty and it shows back up in a while with roots.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 28, 2012
7:53 PM

Post #9257754

mine is blooming today on the roof... guess this must be the time.. there's one open.. and a few more to follow..
mine isn't stinkey at all.. but as you can see in the photo... it does have a fly

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk         

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 29, 2012
2:24 PM

Post #9258503

GordonHawk: Is that plant hanging from the eaves of your house?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 29, 2012
8:31 PM

Post #9258912

Nancy.. the plant will have it's second flower this week likely tomorrow I'd say...
No... it doesn't hang from the eves... there's a skylight .. you see it there with the triple wall polycarbonate glazing.. the pot sits on top of the skylight.. and hangs over dangling down

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
7:04 AM

Post #9259121

Well, it sure is a happy plant! The plant that I identified in my pictures as Huernia grandiflora may actually be Stapelia gigantea. It hasn't bloomed for me so I don't know if the flower is yellowish or maroon. Looks like it isn't going to bloom this year either since no buds yet.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

August 30, 2012
7:18 AM

Post #9259136

Mine's starting to hang a bit, too. I moved its container to a railing so it can trail over both sides.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 30, 2012
5:42 PM

Post #9259819

Mine bloomed about a month ago. It is getting ready to bloom again.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 7:43 PM

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2012
11:08 PM

Post #9260063

Boy, you attracted a lot of flies with that one!
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

August 31, 2012
11:23 PM

Post #9261157

These are all wonderful! My flavirostris flowered last week.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 1, 2012
9:43 AM

Post #9261448

WOW Kiphofia a wonderful bloom... I can't think of a hairier flower I've ever seen... like a neanderthal... beautiful..
got a second flower here ... and another for tomorrow or theday after ... and lots more buds comming... bet there's two dozen buds on it now..maybe it likes to hang way down... gravity watering from the roots
OH you have to double click on the picture to get the flower .. given the cropping for display

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2012
1:12 PM

Post #9261612

With that picture I can really see how your Stapelia gigantea is growing. Wonderful!

I got a second bloom on my Heurnia hallii and was able to take a better photo.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

September 1, 2012
10:35 PM

Post #9262024

What a stunning flower!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
1:23 PM

Post #9262534

this is my first year where it's bloomed so much... four blooooms so far and maybe a dozen buds forming .. is this wat these usually do.. like an older plant... ??
also the flower ... inside there's a few clumps of a white fluff.. on the side of the flower... what is this.. is it pollen.. it must serve some purpose..

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 2, 2012
4:37 PM

Post #9262721

The white stuff are eggs from the flies. Mine is getting several buds, too.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus      

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 2, 2012
9:32 PM

Post #9262954

fly eggs.. I saw the biggest pile of them when it opened.. they must have wiggled their way in when it was just cracking open...laid their eggs...and they were allready there when it opened... amazing.. thanks

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 3, 2012
7:03 AM

Post #9263158

Fly eggs, oh dear! You are going to have lots of flowers too Gary. Nice!

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 3, 2012
7:39 AM

Post #9263201

I looks like I might have several on the one plant. I have some getting ready to open and some that are just coming on.

dahtzu
Henderson, NC
(Zone 7b)

September 5, 2012
7:37 AM

Post #9265648

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 1:41 PM

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 5, 2012
4:59 PM

Post #9266256

This one was open when I got home from work. It seems to be a little smaller than the other plant. This one has his hands behind his back. The flies are already busy.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus   

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 5, 2012
6:10 PM

Post #9266353

It's amazing how the flies find the flowers so quickly! The flowers on mine are small and I haven't seen any flies on them.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2012
1:37 PM

Post #9267216

My Stapelia finally bloomed too, for the first time after having it for a couple of years. I checked it daily, then missed the day it first opened, but the next day there it was in all its glory. Stinky, but so beautiful! I was surprised at how large the flower is, about 4 1/2" from tip to tip, and all it's little hairs are amazing.

The flies saw it before I did and in this hot weather their eggs sure open fast and the larva were already crawling around its center.

From Baja's comment, and looking at DG files I'm assuming it's a Stapelia gigantea. Unfortunately it only developed one bud.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 1:38 PM
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

September 6, 2012
1:40 PM

Post #9267218

Dang, the picture was there but it didn't show. Here it is - I hope.

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 6, 2012
4:54 PM

Post #9267374

lovely Annie... I do love the hair...thanks for the size note... it's so difficult to imagine just from the photograph.. unless a known enity is also in view.. here's mine.. about 14" from edge to edge..
money is exactly 6 " long..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
8:10 PM

Post #9267597

[quote="Anniesfollies"]My Stapelia finally bloomed too, for the first time after having it for a couple of years. I checked it daily, then missed the day it first opened, but the next day there it was in all its glory. Stinky, but so beautiful! I was surprised at how large the flower is, about 4 1/2" from tip to tip, and all it's little hairs are amazing.

The flies saw it before I did and in this hot weather their eggs sure open fast and the larva were already crawling around its center.

From Baja's comment, and looking at DG files I'm assuming it's a Stapelia gigantea. Unfortunately it only developed one bud.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 1:38 PM[/quote]

Annie ~ not sure which one yours is but probably not the S. gigantea. The bloom from the gigantea is a lot larger ( the biggest one I've measured was 15 inches tip to tip) and tan colored. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/343728/

Yours is a beautiful bloom but not sure which one it is. Perhaps hirsuta or gettleffii or maybe even a cross.

This Stapelia gigantea has bloomed nonstop since July. Kristi

Thumbnail by podster

amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 6, 2012
10:41 PM

Post #9267669

This is my first year with lots of stapeliad blooms (might have something to do with acquiring and growing many more stapeliads). Here's Orbea dummeri blooming for the last week with at least a dozen of these strange green blooms.

Thumbnail by amanzed

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
1:30 PM

Post #9268217

That's a neat one Dean! Love the green blooms. I need to get that one.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

September 7, 2012
3:09 PM

Post #9268291

Yup, I recommend Orbea dummeri. Plus I don't think it smells bad; at least it didn't the day I shot that.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 7, 2012
4:56 PM

Post #9268369

Hre's a couple more S. gigantea getting ready to pop open. And another bloom on my Huernia schneideriana.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

September 10, 2012
5:16 PM

Post #9271314

These are the same two that are in the above photo. I looks like the flower is trying to hug the other bud.

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2012
5:52 AM

Post #9290718

it continues.. blooming now..I think it's been flowering every day for the last month.. and flowers open today with dozens of buds to still open...I bet there'll be 3-4 dozen flowers on this one plant this season...

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 30, 2012
11:08 AM

Post #9291037

Is this year bloom more than before? To what do you attribute it?
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

September 30, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9291575

Nancy...Well...yes it's alot more than last year...
it is another year older / bigger..
I did throw it right out in the sun this spring and alot of it got sumburned..[ all new tip growth ]
it hangs below the roots.. so the water is force fed to the blooms
plenty of food and spay-n-grow spraying..
Nancy.. I haven't a clue why it's blooming so well... I'm just pleased it is
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 2, 2012
8:40 AM

Post #9293511

Any day now for this one, a first flower for me on this plant. S Leendertziae.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 2, 2012
5:34 PM

Post #9294085

What a beautiful bud shape and color. Please show us the open flower!
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 5, 2012
9:59 PM

Post #9297181

every day seem like a new record for this one...perhaps it knows soon it will be cooler.. and it's giving with both barrels... bless it's drive.. you have t click on it to get them all..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 5, 2012
11:05 PM

Post #9297196

What an incredible plant! Thanks for sharing it - it's a real jaw dropper.

(My bud still hasn't opened by the way.)

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
9:09 AM

Post #9297452

Here's Orbea dummeri that is blooming today.

Edited to say: Hey, Dean, I told you I had to have one. I got it from Miles'.

This message was edited Oct 9, 2012 12:44 PM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 6, 2012
10:32 AM

Post #9297523

I'm waiting for this Stapelia gigantea to pop. Tennis ball to show bud size.

Edited to correct plant name.

This message was edited Oct 7, 2012 12:25 PM

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 6, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9298040

Wow that Orbea is stunning!

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 7, 2012
12:29 PM

Post #9298654

Thanks. Here's the flower open on the Stapelia. Tennis ball shows size. My Sophie dog is after the flies!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ   Thumbnail by NancySLAZ      

kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 8, 2012
8:44 AM

Post #9299517

Indeed, no wonder they're called gigantea!

My S leendertziae has popped - I knew it as soon as I came into the house as it does smell rather rank! Pretty impressive flower though.

Thumbnail by kniphofia

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 8, 2012
11:40 AM

Post #9299693

Love the deep maroon color! I keep mine outdoors so I don't notice the odor... but the flies sure do!
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 8, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9299953

Fabulous flower knipholia! Actually all the flowers are great. That green is to die for Nancy.

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

October 8, 2012
5:35 PM

Post #9300010

Yes! Very pretty kniphofia! And I like the green,too, Nancy. And sophie is cute, too. All the rest of my blooms dried up. I don't think I gave them enough water.
GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

October 18, 2012
9:33 PM

Post #9309452

so... how long into the winter can this be out.. it hasn't blinked through the first cool weather .. in the 10 days since my last picture of it... it's had a flower [s] open every day... and it's still flowering.. and lots of new buds left to open

Thumbnail by GordonHawk

podster
Deep East Texas, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2012
4:10 AM

Post #9309528

I've never left mine out in freezing temps for fear of turning it to mush.
Perhaps they are hardier but I didn't want to lose it.

The problem is moving it carefully to keep its' magnificent size.
helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 19, 2012
6:45 AM

Post #9309606

Now thats a thought.. I think I will cut a small piece to bring inside for the winder and see out the original plant does outside! Probably a few hard freezes will do it in but I will find out.
Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA
(Zone 10b)

October 19, 2012
8:45 AM

Post #9309702

GordonHawk what a stupendous plant! It must be very happy where it's placed.

I'm a Stapeliads novice and mine are all small, ~ 6", although I did get blooms this year and was pleased to get a Stapelia gigantea a few weeks ago which should bloom any day. Just last weekend I saw a presentation on So. African plants that had a shot of what I thought was a clump of Staphelia, probably 8'-10' maybe larger. I thought it was many different plants but perhaps it was just one. Would love to see that in bloom.

Dean and Nancy I absolutely love the green flowers! I may have to try to find a mail order source for that one.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 20, 2012
3:52 PM

Post #9310782

I got mine from Miles' To Go online. Probably Dean did too. He buys a lot from there. It's a great source.
amanzed
Los Angeles, CA
(Zone 10a)

October 20, 2012
11:50 PM

Post #9310983

Nancy, you guessed right. In addition to his cactus and other strong interests, Miles has been making a strong case for stapeliads from all over southern Africa and the Arabian peninsula.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

October 21, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9311613

I really like the Stapeliads for here in Phoenix because they can take the heat (but not the direct sun). Most of them bloom a lot and the flowers last a long time, even in the heat. Also, I love all the strange colors and shapes of the plants and especially the flowers. Here's another new one from Miles: Orbea semitubiflora.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

helenchild
Decatur, GA

October 21, 2012
8:32 PM

Post #9311781

How great for you Nancy that these work so well in AZ. Not so in GA at least for me with the exception of S. gigantic (autocorrector!).
Great blossoms everyone.
kniphofia
Morpeth
United Kingdom
(Zone 8a)

October 21, 2012
10:24 PM

Post #9311865

That's lovely!
frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2013
1:04 PM

Post #9642002

I have a S. gigantea that is over 20 years old and blooms every year several months. The largest bloom I've measured was 11.5". It has 2 buds waiting to open right now and I love how the petals unwind as the bud gets bigger and bigger.

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2013
1:21 PM

Post #9643026

Wow, frogymon, I hope you can show us a picture!

smashedcactus

smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN
(Zone 6b)

August 27, 2013
5:03 PM

Post #9643243

Mine bloomed a couple months ago and is getting more buds again. These pictures were taken Sept. 2011. This one had a strange twist to it.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus   Thumbnail by smashedcactus         

frogymon
Lisle, IL
(Zone 5a)

August 27, 2013
5:33 PM

Post #9643277

Nancy, you ask, I deliver. The first image was taken yesterday, the second one is from last August and measured 11.5" across.

Thumbnail by frogymon   Thumbnail by frogymon         

microb

microb
Mountain View, HI

August 27, 2013
8:15 PM

Post #9643420

Just realized its just twelve months since I posted with details of my new obsession, Stapelias. Now it feels like I've been doing for years. Just finished potting all those cuttings obtained on ebay last year from 4inch to 6 inch pots and that's probably where they will stay for a few years to come. 84 pots in all. I am going to try and attach some pics of this years blooms

Thumbnail by microb   Thumbnail by microb         

GordonHawk
Brooklyn, NY
(Zone 7b)

August 27, 2013
11:41 PM

Post #9643503

Well...some blooms today... The stapelliaHangs down 4 1/2 feet to the bloom

Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk   Thumbnail by GordonHawk      

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2013
10:42 AM

Post #9645889

Great plants everyone! I wish mine would bloom this year but so far no buds!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

August 30, 2013
11:18 AM

Post #9645917

I have a huge S. gigantea that just didn't bloom this year at all. The weather has been cool for summer. Maybe this weeks' heat spell will shock it into blooming. I just had to share this Hoodia gondonii I won at my local Cactus and Succulent Society raffle. It smells a little different than the Stapliad, my daughter says it smells like stinky armpits.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

NancySLAZ

NancySLAZ
Sun Lakes, AZ
(Zone 9a)

September 1, 2013
10:09 AM

Post #9647638

Wow, what a beautiful Hoodia! I Started a bunch of H. gordonii from seed for my local Cactus Society. Here's one that I have kept that is about 2 inches now. Maybe someday it will be like yours!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Cacti and Succulents Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Jade plant - too big for pot Rosalia 20 Dec 28, 2009 10:21 PM
Cactus Receipes Crasulady2 27 Jun 15, 2007 4:59 AM
Interested in seeds for unusual cacti and succulents Lavanda 2 Jul 7, 2008 8:45 AM
Another Succulent ID please henryr10 28 Dec 10, 2009 10:59 AM
Epiphyllum Curly weeding 5 Nov 9, 2009 3:31 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America