Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Blooming Stapeliads

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

I have a couple of Stapeliads that are blooming for the firsts time ever. First is Orbea commutata, second is Huernia hallii and third is Huernia bayeri.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Decatur, GA

Nice!

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10a)

Does O commutata indeed smell a little of Kalamata olives? that's what Miles says at his site.

Mountain View, HI

Thanks for sharing the pics. I've just starting collecting Stapelias. Grew some when I was about 11 years old and now that I'm just getting to retirement I was given one by a neighbor a couple of months ago which rekindled the interest. Went crazy buying everything i could find. About 10 orders of plants or cutting from ebay which gave me variety but a high price and then found six small pots at Walmart for $1 each, then a three gallon pot crammed with one plant in Kona last week. I split that pot up into 15 smaller pots. So now I have dozens of pots. Now have to take care of them and wait for the blooms.
How many do you have and any tips to share.

Chandler, AZ(Zone 9b)

Very nice, Nancy!
I've got several Stapeliads (Stapelia, Huernia, Orbea), but have never had any flower (though they all seem to be doing well...).
Is this the 'normal' time for flowering?

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

I also have Huernia schneideriana (Pic 1), Huernia grandiflora (Pic 2), Orbea baldratii (Pic 3 now) & O. baldratii (Pic 4 in the fall like Nov. 2011 when it normally blooms) All the others seem to bloom mostly in the summer like June, July, Aug. Although H. schneideriana is setting buds now.
The main thing to me is do not overwater them. I grow all mine in pots so I can control the water. I keep them in light shade here in Arizona because our sun is so intense. I give them a shot of fertilizer now and then in spring/summer. They are such interesting plants.

I got that O. commutata from Miles. He has great plants! You could say the flowers smell like kalamata olives I suppose. I don't care for the olives nor the smell of the Orbea!

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Nice! Nancy. My Huernia schneideriana is blooming now.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus

Hi Nancy, I figured you might have gotten some of those from Miles.

I could swear some of my stapeliads must smell like spoiled milk. Such a strong smell like that last week.

I know these smells aren't pleasant per se, but I love them for almost the same inverted aesthetic that makes me love fiercely armed or dead-stick plants: the appeal of the repellant or unappealing. I'm fascinated by the niche which these plants (and their pollinators) fill in the environment. Too bad my yard is such a pale impersonation of their habitat.

He's doing such interesting work branching out into stapeliads the last couple years. He has many unusual species from seed (and hybrids if that's your thing). Besides a few mail orders this summer, I bought a bunch of his succulents in person at InterCity Cactus and Succulent Show and Sale a couple weeks ago.

Baja California, Mexico(Zone 11)

Ol' Stinky is at it again. Flower opened (most of the way) today. Not so faint odor like dog poo at this early stage, no flies on the scene yet. The shiny green ones will catch a whiff soon no doubt.

Stapelia gigantea is the most common plant of that type around here, by far. I'm used to it flowering around the start of fall (which coincides with my birthday). I was reading about this species on the web and came across this pearl of wisdom, which I learned the hard way two years ago.

> a plant should not be moved when its buds are being developed.

Or else... no stinky for you. Here's the whole article

http://columbus-cactus-club.webs.com/Stapelia%20gigantea.htm

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 4:55 PM

Thumbnail by Baja_Costero
Decatur, GA

My ol' stinky bloomed last week! They have got to be one of the most fascinating flowers.. hairy leather.
And the plant is tough as nails too. Throw a piece into the back forty and it shows back up in a while with roots.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

mine is blooming today on the roof...... guess this must be the time.. there's one open.. and a few more to follow..
mine isn't stinkey at all.. but as you can see in the photo... it does have a fly

Thumbnail by GordonHawk Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

GordonHawk: Is that plant hanging from the eaves of your house?

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

Nancy.. the plant will have it's second flower this week likely tomorrow I'd say...
No... it doesn't hang from the eves... there's a skylight .. you see it there with the triple wall polycarbonate glazing.. the pot sits on top of the skylight.. and hangs over dangling down

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

Well, it sure is a happy plant! The plant that I identified in my pictures as Huernia grandiflora may actually be Stapelia gigantea. It hasn't bloomed for me so I don't know if the flower is yellowish or maroon. Looks like it isn't going to bloom this year either since no buds yet.

Mine's starting to hang a bit, too. I moved its container to a railing so it can trail over both sides.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Mine bloomed about a month ago. It is getting ready to bloom again.

This message was edited Aug 30, 2012 7:43 PM

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

Boy, you attracted a lot of flies with that one!

Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

These are all wonderful! My flavirostris flowered last week.

Thumbnail by kniphofia
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

WOW Kiphofia a wonderful bloom... I can't think of a hairier flower I've ever seen... like a neanderthal... beautiful..
got a second flower here ... and another for tomorrow or theday after ... and lots more buds comming... bet there's two dozen buds on it now..maybe it likes to hang way down... gravity watering from the roots
OH you have to double click on the picture to get the flower .. given the cropping for display

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

With that picture I can really see how your Stapelia gigantea is growing. Wonderful!

I got a second bloom on my Heurnia hallii and was able to take a better photo.

Thumbnail by NancySLAZ
Morpeth, United Kingdom(Zone 8a)

What a stunning flower!

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

this is my first year where it's bloomed so much... four blooooms so far and maybe a dozen buds forming .. is this wat these usually do.. like an older plant... ??
also the flower ... inside there's a few clumps of a white fluff.. on the side of the flower... what is this.. is it pollen.. it must serve some purpose..

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

The white stuff are eggs from the flies. Mine is getting several buds, too.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

fly eggs.. I saw the biggest pile of them when it opened.. they must have wiggled their way in when it was just cracking open...laid their eggs...and they were allready there when it opened... amazing.. thanks

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

Fly eggs, oh dear! You are going to have lots of flowers too Gary. Nice!

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

I looks like I might have several on the one plant. I have some getting ready to open and some that are just coming on.

Henderson, NC(Zone 7b)

This message was edited Oct 8, 2012 1:41 PM

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

This one was open when I got home from work. It seems to be a little smaller than the other plant. This one has his hands behind his back. The flies are already busy.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

It's amazing how the flies find the flowers so quickly! The flowers on mine are small and I haven't seen any flies on them.

Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

My Stapelia finally bloomed too, for the first time after having it for a couple of years. I checked it daily, then missed the day it first opened, but the next day there it was in all its glory. Stinky, but so beautiful! I was surprised at how large the flower is, about 4 1/2" from tip to tip, and all it's little hairs are amazing.

The flies saw it before I did and in this hot weather their eggs sure open fast and the larva were already crawling around its center.

From Baja's comment, and looking at DG files I'm assuming it's a Stapelia gigantea. Unfortunately it only developed one bud.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 1:38 PM

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies
Carlsbad, CA(Zone 10b)

Dang, the picture was there but it didn't show. Here it is - I hope.

Thumbnail by Anniesfollies
Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

lovely Annie... I do love the hair...thanks for the size note... it's so difficult to imagine just from the photograph.. unless a known enity is also in view.. here's mine.. about 14" from edge to edge..
money is exactly 6 " long..

Thumbnail by GordonHawk
Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Quote from Anniesfollies :
My Stapelia finally bloomed too, for the first time after having it for a couple of years. I checked it daily, then missed the day it first opened, but the next day there it was in all its glory. Stinky, but so beautiful! I was surprised at how large the flower is, about 4 1/2" from tip to tip, and all it's little hairs are amazing.

The flies saw it before I did and in this hot weather their eggs sure open fast and the larva were already crawling around its center.

From Baja's comment, and looking at DG files I'm assuming it's a Stapelia gigantea. Unfortunately it only developed one bud.

This message was edited Sep 6, 2012 1:38 PM

Annie ~ not sure which one yours is but probably not the S. gigantea. The bloom from the gigantea is a lot larger ( the biggest one I've measured was 15 inches tip to tip) and tan colored. http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/showimage/343728/

Yours is a beautiful bloom but not sure which one it is. Perhaps hirsuta or gettleffii or maybe even a cross.

This Stapelia gigantea has bloomed nonstop since July. Kristi

Thumbnail by podster

This is my first year with lots of stapeliad blooms (might have something to do with acquiring and growing many more stapeliads). Here's Orbea dummeri blooming for the last week with at least a dozen of these strange green blooms.

Thumbnail by amanzed
Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

That's a neat one Dean! Love the green blooms. I need to get that one.

Yup, I recommend Orbea dummeri. Plus I don't think it smells bad; at least it didn't the day I shot that.

Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

Hre's a couple more S. gigantea getting ready to pop open. And another bloom on my Huernia schneideriana.

Thumbnail by smashedcactus Thumbnail by smashedcactus
Cannelton, IN(Zone 6b)

These are the same two that are in the above photo. I looks like the flower is trying to hug the other bud.

Brooklyn, NY(Zone 7b)

it continues.. blooming now..I think it's been flowering every day for the last month.. and flowers open today with dozens of buds to still open...I bet there'll be 3-4 dozen flowers on this one plant this season...

Sun Lakes, AZ(Zone 9a)

Is this year bloom more than before? To what do you attribute it?

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.