-
AuthorContent
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 26, 2012
5:02 PM

Post #9254668

Just trying different things. I am new to using this product. Is there anything I need to know or change? It isn't like most I've seen so I thought maybe I might be doing something that would not work out in the long run.

Thanks for your input.

Marlin

Thumbnail by marlinp55   Thumbnail by marlinp55
Click an image for an enlarged view.

biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

August 27, 2012
4:58 PM

Post #9256151

marlinp55 wrote:Just trying different things. I am new to using this product. Is there anything I need to know or change? It isn't like most I've seen so I thought maybe I might be doing something that would not work out in the long run.

Thanks for your input.

Marlin

Love the shape you managed to achieve - what is your recipe?
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

August 29, 2012
4:02 PM

Post #9258624

Thanks, I've tried several recipes, but these two planters, if I remember correctly were made with

1 part portland
1 part pete
1 part vermiculite/perlite
and the larger one had a bit of color added.
I'm still kind of experimenting. The last ones I made I used 1 part sand in place of 1 part of vermiculite. They turned out pretty good just a bit heavier, so rather than 4 parts vermiculite for the batch I used 3 then added the 1 part sand.

Thanks again for your reply, If you have any suggestions please feel free.

Marlin
biddy52
BROOKFIELD
Australia

September 5, 2012
2:28 PM

Post #9266095

marlinp55 wrote:Thanks, I've tried several recipes, but these two planters, if I remember correctly were made with

1 part portland
1 part pete
1 part vermiculite/perlite
and the larger one had a bit of color added.
I'm still kind of experimenting. The last ones I made I used 1 part sand in place of 1 part of vermiculite. They turned out pretty good just a bit heavier, so rather than 4 parts vermiculite for the batch I used 3 then added the 1 part sand.

Thanks again for your reply, If you have any suggestions please feel free.

Marlin

Yes, it is the lightweight result I want to achieve - but I think I want to focus on substrates for mosaicing that are lightweight. However, keen to have another go now that we are heading into spring here. Thank you! I will be interested in your next endeavour!
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 6, 2012
4:09 PM

Post #9267338

Look at member Tomtom's page and view her posts on hypertuf. One of her posts gives several different receipes.
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

September 8, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9269353

I have been considering making these planters and selling both planter and plant. Solid concrete planters are extremely pricey and I could market these considerably cheaper. Any one tried this or have any comments regarding this idea. They make real nice looking planters. What do you think??

Thumbnail by marlinp55
Click the image for an enlarged view.

plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

September 9, 2012
3:07 PM

Post #9270071

I too have considered doing the same. If I drop down to part time next year, I can do it.
I also propagate plants that I could sell as well.
I have been looking into yard ornaments and have found a few ideas. If only I could solder or weld wire coat hangers, I could make a lot of things, but I am told that metal can't be soldered or welded. bummer!
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 16, 2012
10:16 AM

Post #9276655

I too have thought about selling them to local garden centers. Online, a small, un-planted, 8" bowl goes for $12 - $19. HMMMMM???

Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39   Thumbnail by liatris39      

katiebear
mulege
Mexico

September 21, 2012
1:00 PM

Post #9282312

You can advertise free at http://www.craigslist.org. Good for local sales which might be best for concrete/plants. katie

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 17, 2012
8:49 PM

Post #9308524

How's it going? I have been experimenting too. I haven't tried selling any yet though.
I sell my extra plants by advertising on Craig's list, so Katiebear has the right idea.
You can also look into local crafts fairs, farmers markets and such.
I'm not sure if I'm going to plant mine to sell or just sell the succulents for buyers to plant their own.
Have you tried selling yet?
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 19, 2012
6:38 PM

Post #9310097

Tomorrow is my first attempt at selling. I'm going to a local trade days with pots and flowers. Will let you know what happens. Lord willing, hoping for a good response.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 21, 2012
5:22 PM

Post #9311609

Good luck!!
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 25, 2012
4:19 PM

Post #9315345

Well, should have done a little checking before jumping into going to the Trade days. After being there a very short time I realized it just wasn't the right place for what I had. For the most part those folks were in the market for super bargains on cheap or used items. Going to try the Farmer's Market, believe it will be a better venture, the Lord willing. Had a lot of compliments on my planters, but no takers.
plantsforpeg
Ventress, LA
(Zone 8b)

October 25, 2012
6:02 PM

Post #9315465

That is usually the case. You work hard to make the product and price the item just above what it cost you, and people want it dirt chieap. If you would hang a sign "Free", I bet you would have had a great hit!!!!
I have had that happen to me too.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

October 25, 2012
6:12 PM

Post #9315475

When you find the right venue, double your prices and see what happens. In the right market, you don't want to be underpriced. kb

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

October 25, 2012
8:13 PM

Post #9315591

Sorry to hear you didn't sell your first time out. I have had this problem selling plants. I sold them dirt cheap at the Farmer's Market and they just weren't selling good enough to make it worth packing them all up and going. But I can make $70.00 at a four hour home sale, advertising in the "garage sales" section of Craig's list. Maybe you should just advertise your pots in the "Farm and Garden" section of Craigs list. You could also show your work around to local nurseries, that's what I plan on doing with my Tufa pots and sculptures. Trendy places should be interested.
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

October 28, 2012
3:16 PM

Post #9318239

I sincerely appreciate all the encouragement and suggestions. I am convinced that the Lord willing, there is a market for these pots and planters, just got to get the word out and keep trying, I think.

Thanks again,

Marlin

Thumbnail by marlinp55   Thumbnail by marlinp55   Thumbnail by marlinp55   Thumbnail by marlinp55   

liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

November 12, 2012
7:40 AM

Post #9331034

I had luck taking my empty hypertufa pots to local nurseries. They are currently buying 'tufa from a manufacturer in Atlanta. To sell them, they need to be wholesale priced. I like your Craigslist idea. I am thinking about taking them to a local artist's consignment shop. Will let you know how it goes.
Lia

Thumbnail by liatris39

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 12, 2012
11:22 PM

Post #9331730

When I owned and operated a commercial greenhouse in Nebraska during the 80's, I used to make cement planters for succulent houseplants. I made my own forms using all kinds of forms. I liked making 18", round planters that were shallow for low growing succulents. Also made some for hen and chicks to grow outside. I sold quite a few of the outdoor plant planters.

Here is a recipe using peatmoss, which is lightweight and gives a nice rustic appearance. Home Depot sells a plastic container for mixing at cost of $5.95. I have that one plus a larger one. The smaller I will fill with damp sand to support some of my molds. You can also make things from damp sand just using your hands to make the sand mold. I have done that too. Google will produce a lot of information, including recipe.

1 part cement
1 part sand
1 part gravel (aquarium) either natural or colored
2 parts peatmoss

Enough water to make a heavy stucco type compound.
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 20, 2012
5:38 PM

Post #9338490

Farmer's Market definitely better. I did manage to sell two of the small 8" pots the first Saturday though this last Saturday did not sell any. Did have alot of interest and compliments. I think part of it is the season of course. Thanks again for all the good input and info and encouragement.

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 20, 2012
10:22 PM

Post #9338761

Marlin, glad you sold some. It may be the season coupled with the economy with Christmas around the corner. Interest and compliments are great. Can mean that you are on the right track. Word may get around for next season.

Your pots shown above are nice. However, you may do better if the forms are different than what can be purchased. Example, a large shell form. Damp sand, as I mentioned above, can be made in a freeform with your hands. Or use an object pressed into the sand to give you a form. below is a link to give you an idea what I mean.

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1196939/#post_8775613

This message was edited Nov 20, 2012 11:42 PM
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

November 27, 2012
3:54 PM

Post #9344071

Blomma, Thanks so much for the info and advice. There is definitely some artistic flare at work in these. Don't know whether I can produce anything so unique and eye-catching. But it is worth a try. I was thinking that the free-form or sand might be quite a bit more time consuming. But if it is more what folks like then it makes sense. Were the planters you sold of random size and shape like these in the post?
Thanks again,

blomma

blomma
Wyoming, WY
(Zone 4a)

November 28, 2012
7:06 PM

Post #9345058

Unfortunately, I didnl't take photos of all my cement creations. They were not as fancy as shown in the link. I did one that was most popular with different varieties of hen and chicks. Stood 6" high x 20" across, round. My template was an old metal washtub lined with plastic then inserted a slightly smaller plastic tub. The cement was placed beween the 2 tubs. The smaller tub was just to leave open planting room. The plastic prevented the cement from sticking.

1] The rock hold a Duddley brittonii. Was made by making a hole in damp sand and insert of a can to produce a hole for planting.
2] A collection of mesembs in a low 12" across dish painted green. Actually, it is made out of a special type of plaster but cement could be used also. The plaster is a type used for casting and much stronger and chip resitant than common plaster.

Thumbnail by blomma   Thumbnail by blomma         

marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2012
5:19 PM

Post #9364996

Farmer's market going well. Not getting rich, but selling a few pots each week and enjoying it. I think by spring I may have as many or more sales than I can handle. Have had several asking if I would still be coming around in spring, so we shall see.
katiebear
mulege
Mexico

December 22, 2012
5:27 PM

Post #9365001

good news. And Merry Christmas. kb
marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

December 22, 2012
5:32 PM

Post #9365005

Merry Christmas to everyone and please don't forget that Jesus Christ is the reason for the season! What a wonderful Savior!
liatris39
Sebastian, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 17, 2013
5:21 AM

Post #9387907

Marlin,
I recently sold a square shallow hypertufa planter to a Bonsai artist. They love them and are willing to spend. Most larger cities have Bonsai Clubs. An internet search might get you some leads... (photo credit, Debra Lee Baldwin)
Good Luck!
Liatris

Thumbnail by liatris39

marlinp55
Mount Enterprise, TX
(Zone 8a)

January 19, 2013
5:39 PM

Post #9390601

Thanks much for the lead I'll see what I can come up with. Still enjoying going to local farmers mkt. Not making a killing but it has some promise I think.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
4:15 AM

Post #9398820

Hello all,

I've been paying attention to this forum and Liatris is right. I use my pots almost exclusively for bonsai and succulents. I like to do miniature gardens in them too.

Dee back there gave great advice too. I always do well with the pots while I'm doing home plant sales. I have regular plants sales throughtout spring and do advertise it on craigslist and a small rag called pennysaver hear that everyone gets. Give it a try. I have gound folk really like the succulents in them...just a thought. Spring is good for selling!

I have found my orchids love hypertufa too. Next I'm gonna make a batch with small holes in the sides just for that purpose, by drilling right after de-molding with a small bit. That is how I pierced the last pot shown...

Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand   Thumbnail by DavidofDeLand

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

January 27, 2013
10:12 AM

Post #9399106

Great pots David, but how did my cat get in that picture?
That second one reminds me . . . I walked off with one of those motel ice buckets last week . . . what was I thinking?
I'm knee deep in peat, planting seeds for plants for the new flower (birds & bees) garden, but you're right I should be making pots for my plant sales.
I plan on starting up selling weekend after Superbowl, I'll try to make a batch before then, just to try the market.
I bet they'll sell good, people who actually look on craigs list for plants are garden nuts and will appreciate a good pot.
I also put a sign at the end of my road on the main drag, it has brought in a few customers too.

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

January 27, 2013
2:22 PM

Post #9399298

Thank you Dee,

I believe in what we are creating... They are much cheaper and infinitely cooler than what Lowe's or such stores offer on anything similar to our pots now.

China might start sending them over soon though,... if the concept catches the right persons eye and is deemed marketable. And there goes another group of American small business dreamers dreams.

Ah! Not yet.

Hand crafted and original will always be the best!

Looking forward to seeing your new stuff!

13Turtles
Springfield, OR
(Zone 8a)

May 30, 2013
7:14 PM

Post #9540136

Hi you-all

Marlin, I too like the unique and unusual; however! I think your original forms are infinitely more pleasing than the commercial ones they resemble. I was stunned. Surprised myself, but I would definitely buy from you were we not 3,000 miles apart. :~) Just my two cents; and then, I think the bonsai - succulent crowd is also on to something.

Hope you're having fun.

Turtle

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

May 30, 2013
9:23 PM

Post #9540267

Hi David,
Glad 13Turtles posted as it gave me a chance to share this picture of the fountain I just created in my yard out of tufa leaves. I molded it using Gunnera leaves, the bottom one is about 30" across! I've found a artist friend locally and we're making the leaves to sell at local craft fairs. I will also be making some more pots. Maybe the local cactus and succulent society would be interested in them.

Thumbnail by Domehomedee

DavidofDeLand

DavidofDeLand
DeLand, FL
(Zone 9b)

May 31, 2013
3:25 AM

Post #9540397

The Gunnera leave from is great, and what a cool fountain!
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 7, 2013
1:10 PM

Post #9653398

Hi Marlinp55! Love your planters! I re-subscribed to Dave's just to see this thread!

I've always wanted to cast some cement, and was thinking about casting some using plastic planters as molds, so I could make anchors for posts. The design on your lovely pots resemble the ones I'm planning to use!

I have a question about your process... If you also used plastic pots as molds for the cement ones, were you able to re-use them? If so, did you have to use any sort of release agent to get the cement out of the plastic molds?

Sorry to hear your attempts to sell them didn't pan out so well... Cement planters can be a tough sell, 'cuz they're so darn heavy! I feel your pain about the "plenty of compliments but no buyers" thing. I'm also a clay potter/sculptor, and ran into the very same problems when I was trying to sell items in shops and fairs. My ceramic planters weren't that big, but when I had to lug forty or fifty of the to an art fair, the weight added up quickly!

Anyway, I'd appreciate any advice you might share with me about getting the cast cement out of plastic without destroying the molds, if it's possible!

Thanks!
Rose

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2013
5:08 PM

Post #9653605

I have used Dollar store bowls and such a molds. You can use an oil as a mold release but most plastic releases just fine. I think the most important thing to remember is that if these pots have a design it might create a problem getting it out of the pot. You'll need to look at it closely to see that any indentations face upward enough not to hang things up. You can also cut the pot in two and tape it together when you mold and cut it apart when you release.
Plants4myPots
Palm Bay, FL
(Zone 9b)

September 22, 2013
9:24 AM

Post #9667025

Sweet! Plastic just "lets go" of the cement all by itself, or with the help of a little oil?
Thanks!

Domehomedee

Domehomedee
Arroyo Grande, CA
(Zone 9a)

September 22, 2013
9:40 AM

Post #9667040

The plastic releases good without oil.
Mipii
(Robin) Blissfield, MI
(Zone 6a)

March 10, 2014
9:39 AM

Post #9786496

Marlin, your pots look great! How did they hold up over the years?

psychw2

psychw2
(Pat) Kennewick, WA
(Zone 5b)

March 29, 2014
1:38 PM

Post #9800626

Marlin, I used to go to Farmers Market to look around and buy. Sometimes I saw something I really liked but could not afford. I would promise myself that I would buy it on my birthday or next pay check. Some of those "lookers" may be buyers a little later in the season.

You cannot post until you register, login and subscribe.

Other Hypertufa and Concrete Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Hypertufa Trough Mini Garden Buttoneer 16 May 22, 2007 6:02 AM
Mock Rock rootdoctor 38 Apr 16, 2013 1:45 PM
More Mock Rock rootdoctor 182 Oct 21, 2012 1:24 AM
Making rocks trois 188 Mar 26, 2013 10:44 AM
Hyper Tufa - Another Fountain meagert 34 Sep 17, 2008 11:09 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America