Photo by Melody
Are you ready? It's time for our 14th annual photo contest! Enter your best pictures of the year, for a chance to win a calendar and annual subscription here. Hurry! Deadline for entries is October 21.

Beginner Landscaping: Fast growing trees

Communities > Forums > Beginner Landscaping
bookmark
Forum: Beginner LandscapingReplies: 5, Views: 74
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
Flower_Luver
Ontario
Canada

August 26, 2012
6:24 PM

Post #9254766

We just bought a house with a south exposure in the back yard. It is SO HOT! Does anyone have a suggestion for fast growing trees, that are not too dirty with fruit or cones or whatever. And that would provide a nice amount of shade. We don't want a really big tree like an oak or blue spruce, etc. We are getting older so fast is best, and no cleanup under it would be bonus. Thanks for your assistance!
yardener
Greenfield, OH
(Zone 6a)

August 27, 2012
4:48 AM

Post #9255064

I'm assuming you want something with height to shade the south end of the house. If so, and you don't have a leach field or sewer pipes near the area where you want to plant them, poplars would be good for your part of the world. They get a lot of bad press but I actually think they are a beautiful tree. Fast growing and can handle the northern climate.
They're wood may be weak but thats usually the trade off for anything with fast growth.
You could plant some slower growing (but not necessarily defined as a slow grower) along with the poplars; maples and some oaks.
Yes, some oaks can grow as much as 12" per year. Just have fun planning and planting.
Flower_Luver
Ontario
Canada

August 27, 2012
9:02 AM

Post #9255418

Yes, I never thought of poplars, that's a good idea. Any more ideas would be very welcome, as I'd like to have a variety. No leach bed anywhere...just a really hot bright back yard...arg..!

I have one lovely little Italian plum tree...yummy...but no shade from it...not sure how big it gets. I've planted a couple dwarf double blooming lilacs too, along the fence.

Thanks!
tx_flower_child
Dallas, TX

September 2, 2012
1:43 AM

Post #9262042

Take a look at Chinese pistache trees. Also, if you're considering hackberry or mulberry, DON'T.
altagardener
Calgary, AB
(Zone 3b)

September 3, 2012
7:57 AM

Post #9263217

[quote="Flower_Luver"]Yes, I never thought of poplars, that's a good idea.
[/quote]

The bad rap of poplars is well-deserved... they're great on acreages, if that's what you have, but not good on small properties due to extreme suckering tendencies... I guarantee you will not want sprouts coming up everywhere from the extensive root system.

purpleinopp
Opp, AL
(Zone 8b)

October 4, 2012
11:26 AM

Post #9295807

A redbud tree might fit the bill. Fairly fast-growing but not weak, not messy, beautiful purplish/pink (or pinkish/purple?) flowers in the spring, not too tall at maturity, deciduous to allow sunshine during winter.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Landscaping Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Landscaping forum! dave 65 Dec 11, 2011 8:57 PM
Landscape Transformation - join me! LarissaH 7 Mar 4, 2007 10:31 PM
Hello everyone, I'm new , and I need some landscaping help. Mrsfed04 32 Mar 9, 2012 9:12 PM
Encourage growth to Arborvitae carbo3595 15 Jul 2, 2010 8:11 PM
Update on our lanscaping situation. Mrsfed04 8 Jun 12, 2011 11:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America