Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Flowers: Japanese Maple

Communities > Forums > Beginner Flowers
bookmark
Forum: Beginner FlowersReplies: 3, Views: 33
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 26, 2012
7:52 PM

Post #9254854

I would really love to get a Japanese Maple. I can choose either a pretty much full sun or mostly shady spot. I live in Missouri...so, Zone 5 with VERY clay-like soil. Is there a particular variety I should look for?
cathy166
Stamford, CT
(Zone 6b)

August 28, 2012
10:00 AM

Post #9256991

I have three different types of JMs in my yard of varying heights and styles. I think you would be best served by going to a landscape gardening center. You should be able to learn what grows best in your area as well as tree size and cost. A gardening center that does landscaping should have the best experience and may be able to recommend some sites they have done and you can view.

Marcia
WeeNel
Ayrshire Scotland
United Kingdom

August 28, 2012
10:59 AM

Post #9257053

Hi ChicagoKristt, I also grow these lovely specimen shrubs trees, I grow the type that are slow growing and can be set out in large containers with the type of soil they may require as you already know, they all like different things therefore depending on the type you select, you can somehow accommodate most.

Also grow the more tree size but, because we live close to the sea, these type4s are always a battle regarding storms can strip the beautiful leaves from those like shredding paper but again, IF you get forewarned about the storm brewing, I can throw fleece over them to give some protection, the others that grow into full grown Maples I don't grow due to the size and therefore the need for protection from wind burn,
I don't want to alarm you re wind damage as it is purely rep of my own environment and probably wont be a worry for you but what I am saying, there are many, many types, colours, textures and leave shape and pattern that you will find what suites your area best.
I like the idea from Cathy re looking within your own area as these people will be able to either get what you want for you, or give you addresses of where they are already growing in your neighbourhood.
Also try your book store in the garden area and search out tree's for zone 5, even try the local library for books as they often have pictures of the just planted and mature ones too so you can get an idea of Hight / Spread after say 10-15 years also remember with tree's, the spread / width also gives an idea of the spread the roots under-ground need too.
Good luck, hope this also helps a bit and don't forget to look for the autumn colour also.
Let's know how you get on, WeeNel.
ChicagoKristy
Hannibal, MO
(Zone 5a)

August 28, 2012
6:58 PM

Post #9257679

I will update...thanks for the ideas!!

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Flowers Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Flowers forum! dave 147 Feb 14, 2013 3:15 AM
snapdragon picture gessiegail 39 Jan 1, 2012 1:04 PM
show us beginners your blooms gessiegail 324 Jan 8, 2012 6:20 AM
Favorite annuals from your 2006 garden! Trish 81 Mar 7, 2007 2:02 PM
Heat Mats Ironsides 6 Nov 27, 2007 1:31 AM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America