AuthorContent

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
11:57 AM

Post #9255674

Love this idea. Thanks for the great article.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

August 27, 2012
1:05 PM

Post #9255812

ditto re: great idea. I've made vanilla sugar inspired by a Pennzey's article which recommended simply sticking the vanilla bean into the sugar and letting it be.

Was that wrong? My scented vanilla sugar tastes like vanilla but I think I would have liked a stronger flavoring. It is great for flavoring hot teas.

thanks for the article. what would you use rose sugar for?
dandylyon85
Arlington, TX

August 30, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9260035

Leaving it be is fine. The shaking just helps it distribute faster and intensify the flavor.

The rose sugar can be used anywhere you want a light floral flavor. Of course that depends on your flowers and how much you use.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 6, 2012
9:22 PM

Post #9267642

I have used rose syrup to flavor rhubarb, strawberries, and hibiscus tea (Jamaica).
I hope to make some scented sugar with Hansa roses. They have a clove scent. Thank you for the instructions.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
9:53 AM

Post #9267998

Recently, I've been scouring the net for interesting recipes and new ways to cook old favorites. Along the way, I've run across quite a few recipes using rose scent or flavor, often in the form of rose water. This seems a clue to some places where one might also consider using rose sugar. A few dishes I recall were a rose flavored/scented rice and cupcakes with rose flavored/scented frosting.

One of my favorite methods for finding recipes online is "punchfork". Here is a link to punchfork already preloaded with the search term 'rose': http://punchfork.com/recipes/rose
It shows pictures of the top rated recipes it found using the word or ingredient 'rose'. Most are drinks and desserts. For more info on a particular recipe, click the picture to go to a page with more info. To see the actual recipe, click the link at the top (left side) of the info page to be taken to the website or food blog where the recipe is posted.

I offer this as a suggestion for finding some additional ideas about ways to use rose sugar (or other varieties). Even though these recipes may call for rose water or other rose related ingredients other than rose sugar, they still give you an idea as to where it might be appropriate to use 'rose' in any form, sugar included. (Note at the top of the punchfork page that you can change it to any search term you want. I love this tool for finding new recipes for whatever I have on hand to cook.)
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
3:47 PM

Post #9268326

thanks for the link. I found a rose meringue cookie which I will try soon.

you have opened the path to some fun experimentation. again, thanks.

Thumbnail by vossner
Click the image for an enlarged view.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
4:30 PM

Post #9268353

Hi, vossner,

I'm glad the link was helpful. (I love that site for finding top rated recipes to match what I have on hand.) Hope those rose meringue cookies turn out to your liking and you enjoy endless experimentation. Very lovely rose, btw!
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

September 7, 2012
4:46 PM

Post #9268362

i went back looking for crock pot recipes and found many I want to try. this is a fun site!
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

September 26, 2012
9:47 PM

Post #9287555

I placed 3 fresh, just opened Hansa roses in a glass jar of Stevia chrystals, screwed the lid on and placed it in my greenhouse under a protective sheet of newspaper. Forgot about it, and three hot days later, uncovered a jar of melted white "glue" with dried roses inside. All was not lost, I poured hot water over it and have been using it to sweeten my sun tea.
Gonna try it again, this time just roses in sugar without the greenhouse. I think I was afraid the roses might get moldy.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

September 27, 2012
5:00 AM

Post #9287674

I wonder if Stevia might be the problem. I can understand your desire to substitute Stevia for sugar, but given that it is a completely different product (different chemical structure), it may not work the same for this project. It may be more inclined to liquify in the presence of moisture (from the rose). Just a thought.

On a related (related to the concept of scented/flavored sugar, that is) but different note, I recently learned quite by accident how easily one can do the same kind of thing with salt. One morning a year or so ago I was in a rush to get to work but needed to take some salt with me to keep in my desk for lunch emergencies. The night before I had used the last of a container (shaker) of dehydrated onions. The empty container was perfect for my salt, as it even had holes in the top for dispensing the salt. I didn't have time to wash the container, but I figured it was clean enough, having only been used to hold the dried onion bits. I filled it with salt and kept it in my desk drawer. A couple months went by before I needed it again, as there are only a very few situations in which I use additional salt. When I opened the container I was surprised to find that I now had onion-salt, as my salt had taken on a very subtle yet distinct aroma and flavor of onion. I'm now considering what other 'flavors' I might want to experiment with, not only for sugar but also for salt.

I'm concerned, however, about the risk of botulism. Soil very often contains botulism which may be transferred to garden plants. When closed in a jar or other container (of, for instance, oil) the botulism may grow and produce harmful toxins. I know that it's considered risky to put plant materials in oil and store it in a container for this reason. I'm unsure about sugar and/or salt. It seems quite possible that both sugar and salt may prevent the growth of botulism and may thus pose no risk. Does anyone know? For instance, while it's risky to store plant materials in oil it's safe to do so in vinegar because the acidity of the vinegar retards the growth of botulism (if present). Salt, having been used as a preservative for centuries, may have the same effect. Although less well known, sugar also has antibiotic properties. Sugar, for instance, was allegedly used to treat wounds in WWI before the 'birth' of modern antibiotics, so there again, sugar may also work to retard the growth of any botulism spores. I'm just curious if anyone out there knows the answer to this? Or was that covered in the article? Perhaps I missed it. I think this is something we should investigate before storing plant materials (flowers and flower petals) in closed jars.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 4, 2012
9:38 PM

Post #9296314

Interesting. I usually associate botulism with root crops, such as beets and garlic. It will be interesting to learn of anyone else's experience.
I think you are correct about the stevia. There is one bud on the Hansa rose. As soon as it opens I will put it in a jar with regular sugar.
dandylyon85
Arlington, TX

October 5, 2012
11:01 AM

Post #9296653

You can actually incroporate herbs into the salt by grinding with a mortor and pestle until you have an evenly colored flavored salt. Chefs often use these as "garnishing salts" to add color to finished platings.
huckleberry6
Eagle Point, OR
(Zone 8a)

October 23, 2012
8:27 PM

Post #9313667

Good idea, dandylyon.
Well, I will have to wait to make my Hansa rose sugar. Hope I will remember when it blooms in May.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
8:15 AM

Post #9385787

dandylyon85: Thanks for the info. Cool idea. I'll have to try that.

vossner: In case you missed this, Pinterest has purchased Punchfork and has announced its plans to close the site in March. Follow the link at the top of the PunchFork page for more info. Per my interpretation of the verbage, it sounds like they bought the site to eliminate competition with their site. They don't say that in so many words, but that's what I got from it. I wasn't aware that Pinterest specialized in recipes. I was particularly fond of the Punchfork site, so I'm quite bummed by this news. I wanted to pass the word along, so you (and anyone else) can collect your favorite recipes now while there is still time.

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
8:27 AM

Post #9385801

vossner,

Hope you saw my previous post, part of which was directed to you - but is not particularly evident as I didn't do the best job of formatting it.

Just checked the Food/Cooking page on the Pinterest site. It's interesting but not my idea of a sub for Punchfork. Looks like this site only shows recipes if someone takes the time to 'pin' them. Lately, I've been learning to cook. (Got tired of the limitations of eating out.) I've been using Punchfork almost daily to look for recipes and ideas specific the ingredients I have on hand. The site was incredibly helpful. I'm pretty bummed to see that it will soon be gone.
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
8:31 AM

Post #9385808

Dream: dont feel sad, this Jeff guy is laughing all the way 2 bank. I hv an acquaintance that started a sewing blog some yrs ago and soon thereafter advertisers were knocking at her door. With research & actual writing she makes 75k working 1/2 day. Additionally, she has guests and that frees her from doing it daily.

I guess I'll have 2 sign up for Pinterest, too many good punch fork recipes. Tks 4 update
vossner
Richmond, TX
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
8:35 AM

Post #9385811

I got it, lol. Bad news 4 us, good news 4 punchfork & Pinterest who will have a killer recipe database

DreamOfSpring

DreamOfSpring
Charleston, SC
(Zone 9a)

January 15, 2013
8:44 AM

Post #9385827

That's right. I'm thinking about you & me - and other Punchfork users. Not worried about the guy who created Punchfork as I'm sure he made out well in the deal. If time allows, you might want to bookmark your favorite recipes from Punchfork before it goes away. By this I mean Bookmark the actual recipe site not the Punchfork page.

Very interesting about your friend/acquaintance. Hmm. Thinking.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Article: Make Your Own Scented Sugar Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Make Your Own Scented Sugar asfic 2 Sep 12, 2012 2:40 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America