Photo by Melody
Congratulations to all our photo contest participants! Check out the winning photos here. We will have the 2015 calendars available to order from Zazzle soon.

Beginner Houseplants: How to encourage growth of Epipremnum aureum

Communities > Forums > Beginner Houseplants
bookmark
Forum: Beginner HouseplantsReplies: 12, Views: 70
Add to Bookmarks
-
AuthorContent
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
3:32 PM

Post #9256018

I have had these small (8") rooted cuttings for 6 months now. I have read that they grow fast, but mine have only grown 1 new leaf on one cutting out of 4 since rooting them. I have searched for fertilizing requirements and such without finding out anything. They look great without any problems, except I think they should grow faster. Should I be more patient or is there something I need to do?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
4:25 PM

Post #9256111

Hi, Weeds. These take a little while to really get going. Give it some more time. It should be slowing down now and going dormant(or close to it)for winter. In late winter, give it an all purpose houseplant fertilizer. The more shade is which I have mine, the slower it grows. I'm going to try it outside for next spring and summer.
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
5:36 PM

Post #9256240

Hi kwanjin,
Aahhhhh. Ok. Thank you so much. That really helps, but here is another question for you:
How often should I repot? Do they like to be pot bound?

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 27, 2012
11:46 PM

Post #9256522

I don't think they much care. Mine has been in the same pot for about 12 years.

tapla

tapla
Bay City, MI
(Zone 6a)

August 28, 2012
5:15 AM

Post #9256600

If your plant's growth has been stalled over the summer months, something is culturally wrong. Patience is a virtue, but too much patience can be the source of lost potential. Plant problems rarely fix themselves w/o some proactivity on the part of the grower, and no plant prefers to be grown under rootbound conditions. More about that here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1050729/

If you want to try figuring out how to get your plant(s) jump started, I think the sticky thread at the top of this form will provide a checklist that might help you evaluate what you're doing. FWIW - fertilizers labeled 'houseplant fertilizers' are generally much too high in phosphorous (the middle number) to be a good choice for houseplants. I know that might sound surprising, but no plant uses more P than N. In fact, plants average using about 6X more N than P, and most houseplant fertilizers like 5-15-5 supply up to 18X as much P as the plant can use. Some of this is further explained in the sticky at the top of the forum.

Best luck.

Al
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
1:10 PM

Post #9257221

Thank you tapla for putting my mind at ease. My starts are not potbound or rootbound. It is something that I was just considering: Thinking to myself, when should I repot? Also, it is not a fertilizer issue since I have only fertilized once with a 24-8-16 mix. I will look at that sticky thread and see if I can spot anything. My MIL, whom in which I got the cuttings from, kept hers trimmed and it didn't grow very fast either. She didn't like the odd angles it grew in until I told her that that was how they grow. There is absolutely no visible signs of any problems except for the lack of growth. I checked them once a couple of months ago and all seemed well. No rotting or soil fungus or anything. So, I will delve deeper and see what I can find with your suggestion, just in case.
I will still be patient, kwanjin, and I can't believe yours have been in the same pot for 12 years! How long/big is your plant? Mine are in 4" pots, so I don't think that will do for 12 years. lol
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
1:22 PM

Post #9257236

Ok. I am just going to take it that it is slow to get going like all young plants are and just be patient with it. Though more light might not do any harm. I either have very low light or window sill bright light, so I will have to be careful and do only an hour or two at a time.

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 8:36 PM

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
2:49 PM

Post #9257385

I keep mine relatively small. I cut it back once in awhile so it isn't as large as some I've seen. I've had it for 30+ years and feed it once a year. It came from a start I got from my mom's plant that she had for many, many years before that.

This is the south window but it doesn't get any direct sun.

Thumbnail by kwanjin
Click the image for an enlarged view.

weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:42 PM

Post #9257746

HA! You have a red wall too!!! I love it! We have a red bathroom!
My house faces east and west. Only the bathroom window on the north and back door on the south. Not much options for me especially when it gets bigger and cant balance on the window sill. Looks great though, your plant.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 28, 2012
7:59 PM

Post #9257765

We have TWO red walls. The other is in the front room. The dining wall is a dark forest green.
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
10:51 PM

Post #9258984

Wow! Sounds very pretty. Christmas year round. Or else like you are in the forest while you are eating.

kwanjin

kwanjin
West Valley City, UT
(Zone 7a)

August 29, 2012
10:57 PM

Post #9258987

The wall in the front room is a dark maroon and helps while watching the tube. And yes, it's like eating outside. LOL
weedsfree
Magna, UT
(Zone 7a)

January 31, 2013
4:38 PM

Post #9404150

Here is an update. I have been keeping my young plants only a little moist and letting it dry out almost completely before watering again with no ill effects. The passed 3 months have been pretty productive. They produce 1 or 2 new leaves a month. I am hoping that when it warms up, they will grow much more. I only water maybe 2 times a month, the soil drains well and fertilize maybe every other month. I also have them hanging from ceiling hooks. I think patience was the key. Thanks for the advice.

You cannot post until you register and login.

Other Beginner Houseplants Threads you might be interested in:

SubjectThread StarterRepliesLast Post
Welcome to the Beginner Houseplants forum! dave 39 Mar 27, 2011 3:03 PM
Plant for North Facing Office Window Brent_In_NoVa 16 Jul 29, 2010 4:10 AM
Peace lily blooms are green, not white! dave 52 Jul 27, 2013 1:06 PM
anybody enjoy forcing flowers? forcingflowers 28 Dec 4, 2011 6:44 AM
Our lipstick vine plant in the balcony PeaceHarmony 7 Jun 28, 2013 5:50 PM

We recommend Firefox
Overwhelmed? There's a lot to see here. Try starting at our homepage.

[ Home | About | Advertise | Media Kit | Mission | Featured Companies | Submit an Article | Terms of Use | Tour | Rules | Privacy Policy | Contact Us ]

Back to the top

Copyright © 2000-2014 Dave's Garden, an Internet Brands company. All Rights Reserved.

Hope for America