Calling all "judges" for the annual DG County Fair! Vote for your favorites here!

Campsis radicans 'Flava' Yellow Trumpet Creeper

Upper Saint Clair, PA

Just purchased Campsis radicans 'Flava' (Yellow Trumpet Creeper) in hopes to cover a stone raised bed. The tag says, "creeper", but description refers to "vine". If I want the plant to grown more horizontally to cover the stone planter, should I plant in front of the planter in an effort to train the shoots to grown outward (horizontally), or plant inside the planter and hope that it will trail downward?

This message was edited Aug 27, 2012 8:26 PM

Magnolia, TX(Zone 8b)

Vine ht 20' to 30', mostly an invasive, yup, it trails downward, upward, underground, gets to the point it is a woody vine, and if trimmed travels underground. Not one of my favorites, but beloved of hummingbirds, chuckl. Have fun

Upper Saint Clair, PA

kittriana of Magnolia, TX:

Thanks for your reply. The plant's reputation for being "full," fast-growing coverage is what attracted me to it, and the hummingbird attraction feature is a plus since my husband is mad about hummingbirds in the garden. The invasiveness of it does worry me a bit, but we live up north, so hopefully it won't become the monster that is does down south. Now that you mention it, I have a cousin in the Ft. Worth area who had an orange trumpet vine that completely covered a detached garage. Thanks again for your comment.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.