What's for dinner? (Part 36)

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

It's time for a new thread! We came from here: http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273909/

Thumbnail by Terry
Dahlonega, GA

I'm first ! Thanks .

Shawnee Mission, KS(Zone 6a)

2nd! Also thanks for the new thread.

Cleveland,GA/Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Yes, thanks for the new thread, Terry.

We made it to Maypop! SO continues to feel better though he is pretty gimpy. It was pouring in Atlanta but cleared up halfway into the drive. I ran out to the garden to pick before the rain let loose. We could see the clouds were chasing us. Came in about fifteen minutes ago and now it is pouring. I'm going to convert some of the pot roast veggies from yesterday's crockpot effort into a Mexican veggie stew over rice and top with coddled eggs and cheese.

Missouri City, TX

And the thread continues...........

Thanks, Terry.

It's the least I could do considering I haven't lifted a culinary finger since Sunday!

It was an honest mistake - I thought our bunco game was last night, and Mr. Official was off officiating, so I advised the two at-home kids they were on their own. Found out that bunco is tonight; Mr. Official is once again sporting the stripes, so once again, no dinner for those left behind by their ne'er-do-well parents.

Dahlonega, GA

For shame ! lol

Clay Center, KS(Zone 5b)

Echoing Terry's prior menu, green chili and tamales. Found a bag of cheese/green chili tamales so it's time to use them up. Some sliced tomatoes, avocado for sides. Ancho chilies have not set on this year, but the Anaheim's have been great, so will enjoy them tonight.

Dinner was pick up sandwiches. A number of meetings today so harder to throw something together.

Dahlonega, GA

Hamburger steak , pork and beans , potatoes in white sauce , acorn squash , salad .

I don't know what's for dinner tonight, but I do know I'm going to be up to my elbows in pears today. A guy we go to church with brought them to me last night - i'm guesstimating I've got a generous bushel, maybe a little more.

Any unusual and/or particularly good recipes or ideas to put them up? I'm planning on making several jars of pear honey, probably some pear butter and preserves (I found one that calls for macerating them overnight first.)

Delray Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Hi, everyone.

I feel like having one of my favorite dishes tonight: rice and kidney beans. I'll also grill a pork tenderloin and voilà! A great dinner without fuss. I just finished rubbing the tenderloin with italian spices, a bit of salt and freshly ground pepper. I wrapped it in plastic film and it's sitting pretty in my refrigerator. I'll bring it to room temperature 1 hour before I am ready to grill it. When done, the tenderloin should be pink inside; everything else is either underdone, or overdone. But...Hey, it's your tenderloin and you'll cook it the way you like.

To make the rice and kidney beans:

Difficulty level: easy
Expense: low
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Servings: 4 hungry appetites, plus a bit of a leftover.
Comfort food level: very high.

Start by boiling about 2 cups water. You'll need it halfway through the recipe.

In a large microwaveable container, mix:
1 cup chopped onions, any kind of onion
1 cup celery (if you have leaves, include them in)
2 tablespoons vegetable oil (I use canola oil)
Freshly ground black pepper.

Cover the dish and heat in the microwave at maximum power for 5 minutes.
Mix everything, cover the dish and return it to the microwave.
Cook at maximum power for another 3 minutes.

Add:
2 cloves crushed garlic,
1 can kidney beans (with its liquid)
1 cup real rice (the kind that cooks 20 minutes); Minute Rice doesn't work for this recipe
1 1/2 cups boiling water,
1 tsp salt,
a dash of tabasco.

Mix everything together.
Cover the dish.
Microwave on maximum power for 5 minutes.
Stir everything.
Cover the dish.
Microwave at 40% power for an additional 15 minutes.
Let stand 5 minutes.
Enjoy.

It tastes even better the next day, reheated. I like it so much, I have had just that rice for a meal. I like to add butter to my rice & brown beans. I know: it's bad for me but I like to live on the edge.

Take care, all.
Sylvain.

Dahlonega, GA

I just printed that beans and rice recipe . BTW , I just had my cold , from the fridg . acorn squash for breakfast .

Sylvain, your dinner sounds excellant. I too am a big fan of rice and beans.

Terry, the following is from Nora Carey's, "Perfect Preserves". http://www.amazon.com/Perfect-Preserves-Provisions-Kitchen-Garden/dp/1556704011 The second recipe might be more up your alley though the first is scrumptious and unusual. She gives no processing time in the second recipe. Macerating will make the flavor stronger if you reduce or don't use the juice. It will also allow you to procrastinate. :>)

Poached Pears In Black Current Syrup
2 1/2 C sugar
6 C water
6-7 lbs firm pears
6 allspice berries
3" cinnamon stick
4 whole cloves
Zest of 1 lemon
6 Tbs. black current vinegar ( http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Blackcurrant-Vinegar ) or substitute another flavored vinegar.
6 bay leaves

Dissolve sugar and water over low heat, stirring occasionally.
Peel and slice pears in half, removing seeds and fiber. Place pears in liquid as you work to prevent discoloration.
Add spices, but not bay leaves, in cheesecloth bag. (Actually I leave them loose).
Bring the pears to simmer until soft; around 30-40 minutes or when centers are just soft when pierced with a skewer.
Divide the pears into three hot, wide mouth jars and Add 2 bay leaves and 2 TBS. vinegar to each jar.
Reduce syrup to 5 C and divide among jars adding more vinegar to top off jars.
Process 45 minutes.

Chunky Vanilla Pear Jam
5lbs. pears
Grated zest of 1 lemon
2 Tbs fresh lemon juice
2 qts. unsweetened apple juice or white grape juice*
1 vanilla bean split lenghtwise

Peel and quarter pears then chop in small cubes. Toss in bowl containing lemon zest and juice as you go.
Combine apple juice and vanilla bean and reduce by half. Remove bean and add pears and their liquid.
Bring to boil and cook 30-40 minutes or until jellying point is reached.
Spoon jam into sterilized jars and seal as for jams in similar size jars.
*No sugar is required for this recipe as the reduced fruit juice sweetens the jam.

I started crockpot grits early this morning. There's one last pork shoulder "steak" hanging around. It will go into a garden ragu (we've got tomatoes, peppers, eggplants, yellow squash and zucchini out the ears. The plan is to de-bone and shred the shoulder steak into the ragu and serve it over cheese grits.

We had a Spanish potato omelet (tortilla de patatas) last night. I added peppers from the garden and onions which is acceptable but not traditional. I canned three pints of peppers yesterday...one red and orange habeneros (from last year's international market saved seed), one mixed lemon and jalapeno peppers and one of sliced hot banana and sweet Italian slices for sandwiches. I'm going to be canning tomatoes and making cucumber something-or-other today. There are various cucumber concoctions already filling the fridge. The weather is dark and uncertain.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

For you chili pepper lovers, my friend Stan in New Mexico sent me this... He just bought 2 bags of Hatch chili's, 30 pounds each bag. He's canning many of them.

Chili Rellenos Casserole

1 Large Can of Anaheim or use Hatch chilies
Jack Cheese
Spray casserole pan with cooking oil
Layer pan with chilies then layer with jack cheese and one more layer of peppers

Topping for casserole

The ratio for batter is
1 Heaping tablespoon of flour to 2 eggs

You may need 4 to 8 eggs for topping it depends on the size of casserole
Keep eggs cold and whip egg whites to stiff peak then add flour

To egg white batter (when flour and egg white are incorporated)
Add egg yolks 1 at a time to egg white batter
Incorporate all egg yolks and pour over casserole and cook until golden brown and hot.

Cook at 350ºF for approximately 45 Min. to 1 hour

Hatch chili’s have 2 to 3 times more flavor than anahiems

Enjoy this recipe
Stan

Dahlonega, GA

Well Darius , You hit the jackpot with my D H .
He hardly orders anything except Chili Rellenos when we go out for Mexican . I'll get together my peppers next trip to town and suprise him , he will blow you and your friend a hug .
Wish I was in N M to get a fifty pound bag of already roasted peppers . Thanks .

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Howdy! Just poking my nose in to see what you all are cooking while I'm on the road this week.

Thanks for the new thread Terry!
Tam

Safe travels, Tammy!

Thanks for the recipes Laurel...I'll look them over before I plunge in. But I've got plenty o'pears, so I suspect I'll have enough to make several different recipes - I just need to get moving, since they aren't getting any younger or firmer :-)

Growing up in SE Colorado (a stone's throw from NM), I adore and crave the Anaheims - they are my favorite pepper, by far. I usually roast, peel and freeze as many as I can, but this year my one Anaheim produced prolifically until the heat wave hit and then a combination of heat and plant maturity seemed to do it in. Maybe the farmes' markets will have some (although they don't roast 'em here like they do back there.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

Terry

Try Pear Butter, recipe in Ball Blue Book.
Use the crockpot, very easy.

Paul

Thanks Paul - I have rough-chopped pears simmering to run through the foodmill and make into pear butter. I think I'm going to change up the spices a bit, with some ginger and star anise, as well as nutmeg and ginger.

There is something similar on organic gardening. http://www.organicgardening.com/cook/spiced-pear-cardamom-butter

I love straight canned pears. Peeled, halved, and in a sugar syrup.

Dinner was beef tacos. DH is off the next four days. We'll see if he actually takes the time off or end sup logging onto work. He's been on OT a number of weeks. One of the products got posted last week so there maybe a little down time.

I have shinny yellow spots all over some of my red tomatoes. Anyone know what would be causing it?

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

Terry, I just cored and sliced and dried my pears in the dehydrator. They're great for snacks and to mix in with hot cereal, or any other recipe that calls for cooked pears. I have one for braised goose and pears which is really good.

Whatever fruit is in season here, I love to grab one and eat it when we take the dog on her walk to get the papers, first thing in the morning. Mostly it's peaches and then pears. Berries don't really lend themselves to that but figs sort of work. I have a few pears still ripening on the porch and then that'll be it, since we don't do apples that well.

There is a desert that we make on rare occation. Has pears in it and I think uses almond flour. It's one of those where you slice the pears and pour the batter over it.

You did but not alone the lines of what human expectations are on how a greeting goes.

If he's a huge amount of trouble then you might want to pre call 911. Then at least they have a heads up that he's in the area.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Our local grocery store has fresh portabella mushrooms on sale for $1.49 per pound. This is a great buy, so I have purchased 5 pounds and am in the process cleaning out the gills, slicing the caps and dehydrating them. I will use the stems for soups.

Is there a way of canning mushrooms to use at a later date, or can I make cream of mushroom soup and process it in a canner for later use. What about freezing mushrooms...would that also work?

Thanks for any and all help.

Susan, re: the above post; must have missed something. The spots are usually caused by stink bugs. Google "stink bugs, tomato damage, photos" and see if that's it. The above mentioned pear tart is a favorite during Passover since the crust contains nut flour instead of grain.

Made a pot roast before we left Atlanta and will make pot roast sandwiches with griddled onions and homemade grain mustard for dinner. We'll have a veggie/pickle/olive platter to go with it. It's hot here (91) and the traffic was terrible coming into the city. It looked even worse going out. I am working this weekend and coming week so needed to be in the city for the holiday.

You cannot can dairy products in a home kitchen and your mushrooms will get funky if you freeze them uncooked. I suggest you cook them, separating the stems from the caps, and freeze them in individual portions, wrapped in plastic wrap. Then place all the mushrooms in a large freezer bag. When you want to make soup or sauce or braise, pull out a packet and add to your recipe. Make the packets smaller than you think you will need. You can always use two if you need more.

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Laurel,

I knew you would come through for me.

Thanks so very much.

:)

Deb, I have canned baby bella mushrooms, just using the USDA guide. I canned mine in half pint jars, and I'm glad I did. The canning intensifies the mushroom taste and one half pint jar was enough for a pot of soup for 2 people. I must say that later when I opened them and made a cream of mushroom soup, it was really superb!

BTW, probably the yellow spots on your tomatoes are specifically the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug, or at least that's how mine look. They invaded here from New England 2-3 years ago and were moving west and south. When you cut the infected tomatoes, you will see a hard white area in the outer wall, much larger that the yellow spots on the outside. If there are only 2-4, I cut them out for processing; more than a few and there'd be little tomato left to work with. There is no known remedy found so far for this particular stink bug. http://ento.psu.edu/extension/factsheets/brown-marmorated-stink-bug

Deb, here is the link to the USDA canning section that includes mushrooms. http://www.foodsaving.com/G4CanningVegetables-VegetableProducts.pdf Darius makes a good point for storing the 'shrooms canned if you plan on using them with their liquid. I think they retain more of their original texture and flavor if they are sauteed and frozen for omelets, quiches, risottos, ravioli etc. I think they are better frozen if they are going into a pasta, rice or potato dish straight up. If they are going into a sauce, the 'shrooms and their liquid would be great if home canned. Think about how you want to use them and try both ways. I always cook mine in olive oil to freeze, even if I use butter to reheat.

There's an alternative: Duxelles, Essence of Mushrooms, cooked into a paste. I like James Beard's Recipe best; he frowns on chopping them in a food processor... he said that alters the texture and flavor, and he just uses butter rather than adding onions, shallots or herbs so they are more versatile for later use. After I made mine (4 pounds of baby bellas), they almost filled an ice cube tray to freeze.

I'd rather NOT depend on my freezer because we often have power outages here in the mountains, but I did freeze these. YUM!

Northwest, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the replies, I may try various ways since you are all giving me such great advice.

Thank you for the information. I did see something yesterday that looked like the Brown Marmorated Stink Bug. We thought it was a soldier bug. It was on the tomato and scurryed away when I went to pick it. I'm not happy reading that it can migrate into the house. Because of a mild winter, we have a lot more bugs then we normally see. With the drought there has been no grass mowing for months now.

On the post, that was suppose to be on another thread so I have no idea how that happened.

Dairy can also be frozen.

Dahlonega, GA

What's for dinner ? Nothing . Weekend Gold Miners annual picnic today , ALL day , and sure won't be anything cooked for dinner .

Northeast, PA(Zone 6b)

Those stink bugs were first found in Allentown, Pa Just 15min from me. :-( They do get in the house but you have to be careful how you handle them 'cause they do stink when excited or squished. I keep a jar that I scoop them into and then dump into the compost when they are all dead.

Gotta big tomato haul and just got a gorgeous pie dish & casserole dish (Polish Pottery). So I think a tomato pie will be on the menu!

Tam

Dahlonega, GA

I could eat a whole one by myself . One of my favorite things and my maters are all gone . Guess the next one will be made from canned maters . Lucky girl .

Southern NJ, United States(Zone 7a)

We're going to a Pre-Labor Day dinner at our sailing club tomorrow, and I don't know what we're doing on Monday. Tonight we're having some oven-baked organic porkchops that I bought, plus the last of our 2011 sweet potatoes and some of our limas. It's hot outside but nice in here - otherwise that would be too heavy a meal for late August!

I'll keep it in mind about indoors. Looks like I will be picking tomatoes with gloves until I get a better handle on where they are at.

Dinner was Thai Basil Chicken (Gai Pad Grapow) with rice. DH cooked and it turned out really well.

Dahlonega, GA

My maters are gone . I stopped and bought some from a neighbor .

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.