Garden Gems 2012 #8

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

We were here:

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/1273649/#new

Thumbnail by ge1836
Cocoa Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

Thank you, that was slow loading with all the pictures. Yesterday I noticed the hummers were going after my Larkspurs. They're an annual that Ii planted for the first time this summer. Vey slow growers but they finally bloomed, I never did transplant them from the tomato tub. Marigold with lettuce. Double impatiens, I hope this will winter over in Fl.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy

I could use some help on identifying Ajuga. I have three that I know of: Bronze Beauty, Chocolate Chip (no picture) and Burgundy Glow. All of a sudden I have this one that I can't identify. Any suggestions? The middle picture is the one in question. Thanks. It flowered a dark cobalt blue.

Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy Thumbnail by mittsy
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Mittsy.. love that larkspur!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Can't help you on the Ajuga Mittsy but I like it!!

South China, ME(Zone 5a)

Check out Ajuga reptans 'Catlin's Giant' , Ajuga genevensis or, Carpet Bugle 'Silver Beauty'

This message was edited Aug 28, 2012 8:27 PM

Thomaston, CT

Pixie, I plant angelonia every spring....this year I have it in purple, white, & bicolor lavender.....

Thanks for the hints on Carpet Bugle. I've checked them all. There is no variegation of foliage so I have eliminated most that have two or more colors. Still searching. Maybe one of the others is reverting back to an original parent of it's background? It's very healthy and a nice contrast to the others. The flowers were really vibrant. I'm sorry my pictures weren't good and I discarded them. Better luck next time.

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I was thinking maybe they cross pollinated or something

You might be right. I keep remembering Currier McEwen's first yellow Siberian Butter and Sugar came from two blue parents. Who'd a thought?

Thomaston, CT

Look what I found in my garden today....had no idea it was growing! And white angelonia going crazy.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

nice RD!!!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Nice

First few Sweet Autumn clem flowers and October Skies Aster, loving the Salvias this year

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
Huron, OH(Zone 5b)

my sweet autumn is exploding!

Thomaston, CT

Pretty salvia!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Love the angelonia!
Good looking salvia Jen, nice shot!

Perennial Pea, Tropical Rise canna, Tithonia, Salvia Victoria blue, Crepe Myrtle

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A few containers, sunburst locust, variegated KMOTGG leaf

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oct skies is cool Jen!!

Ronnie that Tithonia shot is for the contest for sure!!!.. the var. whatever is beautiful!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Thanks Allison, I think it is "goldfinger.

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

Sooo many pretties. Victoria blue is one of my mom's favorites. Mine, too!

Thomaston, CT

Beautiful containers!

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Either Macbeth or Russian Ragtime, Guara,

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Oops, I hit send too soon
Moth on Pow Wow Berry Echi, Dianthus Starburst (this bloomed on and off all summer), Plectranthus, mums starting, rose bud in front of Sweet Autumn Clem

Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen Thumbnail by flowAjen
(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Nice Jen, love that daylily!

Thomaston, CT

All the blooms look great! My echies were "dusty" looking this year....so were my friend's....must be a fungus....the lilies I planted in June are now blooming! I was hoping to have some to enter in the fair on Thursday, but don't know if they'll hold...purple salvia the hummers love, dwarf canna.....

Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG Thumbnail by ROBINDOG
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

is it like a white thick dust on the echis? I have that on some of them

Thomaston, CT

No, the whole color is very subdued....more like a dusty rose instead of a bright pink.....and many petals are eaten or misshapen......

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

ooohhh just a few hummer shots

https://picasaweb.google.com/111926172330822213072/9312?authuser=0&feat=directlink

Thomaston, CT

Those photos are just awesome!

Salem Cnty, NJ(Zone 7b)

After picking up my lower jaw all I can say is WOW!!!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks!!!.. was fun taking them

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

WOW is right! Allison they are fantastic!

Denville, NJ(Zone 6b)

thanks.. and so sad.. the beginning of the end.. the colchicum are blooming

:(

Thumbnail by onewish1
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

so cool!!!!!

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Oooh I like that Allison!

Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

I agree about the beginning of the end Allison:
No Hummers,Wrens,Robins or small song birds.
Chickadees and nuthatches are in the garden.I love the nuthatch song.Makes me think of woods in winter.

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

I refuse to believe it!

A few coleus

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

Perenial sweet pea, tropical milkweed I'm suprised came back, two NOID cannas and a Picasso

(Ronnie), PA(Zone 6b)

A few dahlias that lost there names.

Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes Thumbnail by luvsgrtdanes
Pittsford, NY(Zone 6a)

Great pix Ronnie

Post a Reply to this Thread

You cannot post until you , sign up and subscribe. to post.